Obligatory 'should I start a new account?' topic

InvisibleBanana

Hey guys, not sure if this is the right forum to post this and I'm sure it's been asked to death, but I'm considering creating a new account to focus on completion percentage (90%+). My account is about 12 years old, but really only started trophy hunting about 6 years ago or so. I'm sitting at around 52% completion with about 6000 unearned trophies (some being unobtainable). I realize I can go back to finish older games, but with 6000 unearned, it'll take a very long time. I'm considering starting a new account with my new completion mindset and focusing on completing every game I start. I actually enjoy the thought of re-completing finished games (especially with improved experiences on PS5) and really like the idea of planning out my milestones. Thoughts? Opinions? 

• Like 3

I think you should start a Youtube series called "road to 80 percent" with your old account and go back in and slay some old games. You could do videos on your progress and review a ton of titles while you're at it. A lot of people are in the same boat. You could be their huckleberry and inspiration to get back up on the horse and ride one out to victory.

• Like 4

I was also in the same boat as you, I was at 30% around 3-4 years ago. Went back to do some games and started to 100% games not just platinum, now I'm at 62%. Currently I also have 6000 unearned trophies. Of course I have unobtainables so that number will never reach 0.

If it's a fast 100% completion rate I would say start a new account. But if you're like me and like seeing the percentage go up by .10%, then 1%, then 10% I would stick with the account.

• Like 1

Personally, I think it's a good idea to start over as long as you don't let completion % control you and drive you nuts. Lol. I've seen it before, and it does not end well for some. I've said this before in other threads, but as a trophy hunter, I think completion % is so overrated. I think it forces players to play certain games and skip out on others that they would normally play just because it has hard trophies or MP trophies. Or it forces you to finish games that you absolutely hate just to keep that % at 100% which I find a bit... unhealthy.

Of course, you could always use your current account to test games to make sure you are able to 100% them, but I've always found this practice super weird because you are essentially doubling your work and wasting your time playing the same game twice. It's also not foolproof because DLCs can always be added, games could get glitches in later patches, DLC could be buggy, servers shut down, limited time events, etc.

Whatever you choose is the right choice as long as it makes you happy. In the end, that's what really matters. What I say or anyone else says here really doesn't matter, but since you asked for our two cents, we give you my two cents. Haha.

• Like 4

Personally Id say no . Why wipe all your old gaming history away? If the completion % really bothers you just go back and wipe as much of it up as you can. I don't ever see a real legitimate reason outside of cheating to start a new PSN account. Ultimately though it's up to you and what will make you feel better at the end of the day.

• Like 3

I'm in a similar situation of building up from a lower percentage to a higher percentage. Old account with a lot of games that were mostly touched and left behind. Going back to them now to 100% as many as I can. There are a couple that are now unobtainable so I will never truly reach full completion, but I'd like to get as close as possible.

Decided after a lot of thought to just keep my old account and work on completing my list as much as I can. The difference between us though is the game count. I have just under 30 games and you have over 300. That's a lot of incomplete games to come back from and my thought process may have gone differently if I was dealing with that many incomplete games.

Try it, you might like it. I had a much higher profile that I started to hate (the reasons don’t really matter). It’s a long way down and now I’m sitting very comfortably at a whopping level two.

By the way, hellooooowwww up there! ? Hey, whatever you do, have fun, and don’t be in a hurry to raise your levels again.

Do whatever think you'll enjoy. I have a very low completion percentage but it doesn't bother me at all, I look at my profile as my gaming history and see no reason to play games I don't enjoy just to get trophies. Of course, if a major part of your gaming enjoyment is trophies and having a high completion percentage, then starting a new profile may be a good option for you.  

Parker

I'd say no :)

Yes, its always frustrating if there are trophies in the log, which are unobtainable - but at some point, you cant really avoid that for sure. I still hope, that there will be a possibility to delete trophy lists one day. Shouldnt be a big deal right? If this feature will eventually come in the future, you'll be very frustrated if you start a new account just because of that.

I am at 84% - and I have about 3000 unearned trophies atm. I still try to finish them.

Maybe it will help you to have someone to talk about trophyhunting? And to finish games together?

• Like 2

I started a new account because i forgot my password to the old one. I tried everything, even contacting Sony,but they couldn't do anything (understandably so).

I would have loved to keep my old account, and the trophies i had already earned.

But if you feel like it, create a new one :) You can always keep both, and have a "main account" and a "100% account". Why not.

15 hours ago, Shua_J said:

I think you should start a Youtube series called "road to 80 percent" with your old account and go back in and slay some old games. You could do videos on your progress and review a ton of titles while you're at it. A lot of people are in the same boat. You could be their huckleberry and inspiration to get back up on the horse and ride one out to victory.

I actually really like this idea, but I fell off of YouTube after about 2 months as it sapped away all my free time. 

Thank you for all your input guys! I've decided to keep the account and just try my best to get the completion rate up. Does anyone have any good ideas for a creative visual way of keeping track of my progress? I feel like that will help motivate me as well. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, InvisibleBanana said:

I actually really like this idea, but I fell off of YouTube after about 2 months as it sapped away all my free time. 

Thank you for all your input guys! I've decided to keep the account and just try my best to get the completion rate up. Does anyone have any good ideas for a creative visual way of keeping track of my progress? I feel like that will help motivate me as well. 

I think that this website is amazing at visualising :)

you can also make an excel note, and cross them ( Uncharted 4 ) when you finish a game.

• Like 2

Dude... :huh:

your account has way to much good stuff already done for you to even consider abandoning it for something like completion rate!

Not only does it already display a hell of a lot of gaming achievements, but some of the incomplete games are awesome, and super fun.

I flat out guarantee* that working on this account and slowly increasing the percentage by working on these existing games will be infinitely more fun, exciting and satisfying than maintaining a high completion rate on a new account.

Just my two cents of course, but I think you should be proud of your profile as it is - and deservedly so - and just plug away at it if you want to up the completion. ?

Besides - what kind of an inhuman monster would willingly give up the PSNID InvisibleBanana ?? ?

*not a guarantee.

(but I stand by it!)

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 5:00 AM, PalaceOfLove706 said:

I’m just gonna say it. 52% is a good completion rate when you’ve played a lot of games. I have 54%. It’s ok. It doesn’t need to be 98.4%. You have my respect. And that’s all you need.

On 4/20/2021 at 5:42 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Dude... :huh:

your account has way to much good stuff already done for you to even consider abandoning it for something like completion rate!

Not only does it already display a hell of a lot of gaming achievements, but some of the incomplete games are awesome, and super fun.

I flat out guarantee* that working on this account and slowly increasing the percentage by working on these existing games will be infinitely more fun, exciting and satisfying than maintaining a high completion rate on a new account.

Just my two cents of course, but I think you should be proud of your profile as it is - and deservedly so - and just plug away at it if you want to up the completion. 1f44d.png

Besides - what kind of an inhuman monster would willingly give up the PSNID InvisibleBanana ?? 1f602.png

*not a guarantee.

(but I stand by it!)

Thank you so much for the responses! I almost fell back into my creating a new account mindset after seeing how much my completion rate would go up after hiding a 1% game. It only went up 0.17% which discouraged me, but your comments really gave me the drive to keep going with it. I really appreciate it. Sometimes it's just frustrating looking at all my incomplete games, but I'm going to keep pushing. ?

• Like 2

I was considering the same thing over a year ago because I knew I had some very long/MP titles which would be harder to dedicate time to. Now I’m really glad I stuck with it, joined the backlog challenge and just spent time playing vs. deciding. Since then I have what I think are some v cool 100%’s which took me out of my gaming comfort zone for the better (playing with PSNP people has been great)!!

In terms of a system I use to make continuous progress, I tend to have 3 games available at any time:

- Play something through blind which has low %, this is Persona 5 at the moment 

- Play a MP title I have not achieved everything for, for now that’s 1 final trophy away on Destiny 2

- Play something towards a platinum/100%, this is Dark Souls right now

If I am not feeling things I do switch up which title sits on those 3 categorises and it does allow me to start new games, I straight up stuck Dark Souls in plat category as I had played it years ago on Xbox.

Hope you enjoy whatever journey taken though, that’s what it’s really about :-)