Miles Morale (Marvel's Spider-Man) outsells The Last of Us: Part II

It's good they are all selling well, though it's not quite a 1-to-1 comparison:

Miles Morales is rated 'Teen' by the ESRB, whereas GoT and TLOU2 are both 'Mature'

I would suspect that a lot of parents would have no issue with buying Miles Morales for their kids, but would baulk at doing so for TLOU2 or GoT, so that is likely a factor.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It's good they are all selling well, though it's not quite a 1-to-1 comparison:

Miles Morales is rated 'Teen' by the ESRB, whereas GoT and TLOU2 are both 'Mature'

I would suspect that a lot of parents would have no issue with buying Miles Morales for their kids, but would baulk at doing so for TLOU2 or GoT, so that is likely a factor.

Really? You're clearly trying to downplay MM's success by even proposing that argument. There are hardly any legitimate 1:1 comparisons in general topics/discussions. Doesn't mean MM's feat here doesn't matter because of a rating difference (that's only one level away from each other), especially considering: games like Resident Evil 2 Remake, Resident Evil VII, Dying Light, and Call of Duty, all mature rated titles, have sold at least multi-million copies relatively quickly after launch, among others. Speaking of RE, the series has managed to outsell the kid-friendly Legend of Zelda series, which had nearly an entire decade of existence over the RE series before its debut!

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 2

I'd imagine the lack of stuff to buy on PS5 helped Spiderman, one of the most popular multi-media intellectual properties in the world and is available on multiple platforms, sell more games than something that exists solely as a console exclusive videogame that you can only buy once. Oh, the baseline price has always been lower. As far as the spoiler goes; GoT was on sale in March on PSN the game you clearly want to bag on wasn't. I don't even like TLoU2, but I tend to dislike people that feel the need to do shit like this worse. 

If you don't like the stupid game fine. Posting sales data without context or nuance to try make some dumb point isn't as fine. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

Really? You're clearly trying to downplay MM's success by even proposing that argument. 

Why would I be trying to downplay the success?

I said it's good they are all selling well.

I loved Spiderman on PS4, and will be playing Miles Morales for sure once I get a PS5 - I think it looks ace!

Ironically, the only game you mentioned that I actively don't like is Ghost of Tsushima, which I found so off-puttingly bad that I gave up and deleted it form my list after less than an hour of play, even after paying full price for it!

Edited by DrBloodmoney

On 4/19/2021 at 3:04 AM, nyarLOLhotep said:

I'd imagine the lack of stuff to buy on PS5 helped Spiderman, one of the most popular multi-media intellectual properties in the world and is available on multiple platforms, sell more games than something that exists solely as a console exclusive videogame that you can only buy once.

So TLOU series is just "something", now. Since when? ?. If we're going to be 100% real there's always going to be some excuse to use for any situation like this: "it's a more recognizable/iconic IP", "it's from a more reputable studio", "the game had more marketing", "we're in the middle of a pandemic", "the game had little to no competition", "it's an action-adventure game", "the game has a better score rating", the game has more positive reviews", "the game is more accessible", "the game has a lower age rating", and the list goes onnn. Why ever bother with any comparison at all in matters similar to this if people can just fallback on any desperate excuse so long as it has even the slightest connection.

There are cases wherein console exclusives outsell multi-plat games. Reminder also that TLOU releases and Uncharted series have been PlayStation's best selling first party series of all time, as well as some of the platform's best in general, all of which is in-part thanks to their prominence on multiple platforms. That also puts them higher than the immense catalog of non-Insomniac Spider-Man games. Did Spider-Man being "one of the most popular multi-media intellectual properties in the world" stop Naughty Dog's own series from surpassing it, especially when it was multiplatform.? No. Then the Ratchet & Clank developers do a Spider-Man, ONE game and on ONE platform, and it outdoes anything Naughty Dog produced with a single game and even some whole series.

PS5's small library of platform-exclusives doesn't means much, considering. See what MSM, with its leaning towards an original story, did in the middle of last generation versus an entire (actually, multiple), established, flagship, top tier Sony series. More platform-exclusives to offer would have only slightly slowed down MM's inevitably superior success. Btw, you've actually ignored the notable backwards compatibility feature allowing people to buy and play (AAA) PS4 games on the PS5 console, but that's okay.

Oh, the baseline price has always been lower. As far as the spoiler goes; GoT was on sale in March on PSN the game you clearly want to bag on wasn't. I don't even like TLoU2, but I tend to dislike people that feel the need to do shit like this worse. If you don't like the stupid game fine. Posting sales data without context or nuance to try make some dumb point isn't as fine. 

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy—belonging to Sony's best selling first party IP, alongside TLOU, and excluding Spider-Man—also an expansion in the same vein as Miles Morale, had an even smaller launch price ($40) than it ($50)+ the advantageous benefit of launching in the middle of the generation as opposed to the beginning of a new one, and yet still didn't imitate any kind of similar success. Now, you acknowledge GoT has been on sale but not that TLOU2 has as well alongside it; they went on sale at (or around) the same time and have both been on sale for weeks. Funnily enough, that's more context right there.

Edited by EcoShifter

This is actually sad news. Miles Morales was priced at $70 Australian dollars here and I platinumed it so quickly I was able to return it to EB games (Gamestop in US) within the week to get my money back. It was a DLC priced as a full game. It's disheartening to think PlayStation consumers are dropping full price on something I effectively think is a scam.

5 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Why is that good news?

You don't have to like the game, but some of us did - and would love some dlc for it.

Why would dlc coming out that you don't have to play, but others would enjoy, a bad thing?

He's just really glad that Naughty Dog is focusing on The Last of Us remake instead of any other project right now.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Dan-lives-here said:

This is actually sad news. Miles Morales was priced at $70 Australian dollars here and I platinumed it so quickly I was able to return it to EB games (Gamestop in US) within the week to get my money back. It was a DLC priced as a full game. It's disheartening to think PlayStation consumers are dropping full price on something I effectively think is a scam.

Scam? Really? Shit, my dream-come-true in gaming would be to live in an age where the quality of games is not measured by 1 hour/1 dollar spent. In my eye, the scam is to finish the game and then take the money you paid for it back. At least keep it to yourself.

Edited by BloodyRutz

6 minutes ago, BloodyRutz said:

Scam? Really? Shit, my dream-come-true in gaming would be to live in an age where the quality of games is not measured by 1 hour/1 dollar spent.

I agree. I don't mind if they wanna start releasing stand alone DLC priced like a typical full length game that I can beat within a week. I'll never have to pay for games  again!  Thank god for EB Games no questions asked refund policy!

Edited by Dan-lives-here

While I've never played TLOU2 nor have any strong feelings for or against the game, I am extremely happy to see that Miles Morales did really well, completed it not too long ago on PS5 and plan on finishing the PS4 version soon and while I felt like ti was way too short I will say that I enjoyed it for what it was and can't wait to see what the next Spiderman game holds.

16 minutes ago, Dan-lives-here said:

I agree. I don't mind if they wanna start releasing stand alone DLC priced like a typical full length game that I can beat within a week. I'll never have to pay for games again! 

Pathetic, sorry. I hate this cheap mindset. I actually value the work of others. No point in discussing it further, it's like we are from different worlds.

Edited by BloodyRutz

12 minutes ago, Dan-lives-here said:

I agree. I don't mind if they wanna start releasing stand alone DLC priced like a typical full length game that I can beat within a week. I'll never have to pay for games  again!  Thank god for EB Games no questions asked refund policy!

Most AAA games that do not feature Multiplayer can be beaten in a week if you put the effort in. I'm not sure that is really the best measure of a game.

Are you saying that if this game was, say, $40 rather than $70, then you wouldn't have defrauded the company by abusing the returns policy?

Surely if you are willing to do that, then you would be willing to do it at any price? - I mean, free is still cheaper than any RRP :dunno:

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

On 4/19/2021 at 4:02 AM, BrandedBerserk said:

One can say that you're trying to downplay the success of last of us part 2 just by the title of the topic you chose.

The fact that it's not total sales and that you specifically picked last of us part 2 when multiple other games were beat as well is questionable. 

Just one immediate difference is your argument is purely presumptuous, while my argument is based on the other poster's comment that entirely criticizes and tries to take away the success of MM because of a rating difference. 

I shouldn't have to explain why TLOU2 was chosen, given it is a common reference (including outside these forums) of comparison for game sales. By your logic, every single article that has already and will cover this are also "trying to downplay the success of TLOU2 by the title they chose". The game was put in the title for its popularity and higher tier sale figures. It doesn't make sense to put GoT in the title when its sales are inferior to TLOU2, according to Sony. 

The fact is MM has already exceeded TLOU2's physical sales, similar to GoT digitally outselling TLOU2 in 2020, and MM hasn't yet surpassed the other most popular exclusives, like Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War. Like, uh, lol? What's questionable is your defense here. It made all the sense in the world to put TLOU2 in the title (especially when various articles online have already done the same). 

Edited by EcoShifter
trimmed

2 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

Just one immediate difference is your argument is purely presumptuous, while my argument is based on the other poster's comment that entirely criticizes and tries to take away the success of MM because of a rating difference

Again, no it doesn't.

I was highlighting a possible reason for the difference.

Again - I like the look of MM, and am saving it for when I have a PS5 so I can enjoy it at it's best.

12 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Most AAA games that do not feature Multiplayer can be beaten in a week if you put the effort in. I'm not sure that is really the best measure of a game.

Are you saying that if this game was, say, $40 rather than $70, then you wouldn't have defrauded the company by abusing the returns policy?

Surely if you are willing to do that, then you would be willing to do it at any price? - I mean, free is still cheaper than any RRP :dunno:

You're totally incorrect in saying that most triple AAA games cant be platinumed within a week of casual play. If you think this is the case please start listing them. 

It's also not defrauding. It's no a questions asked return policy. 

I find it pathetic at best you defend Miles Morales as acceptable practice as a consumer in any way.

Edited by Dan-lives-here