European Super League Announced

Rozalia1

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/18/five-english-clubs-sign-up-to-european-super-league-report-says

How it will apparently work below:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/19/explainer-how-will-the-new-european-super-league-work

It's hard to get a perfect read on how people are taking it but would it be right to say that most in Europe are taking it negatively, while those outside Europe are more positive to the idea as they are more likely to be more interested in just the top teams and not if Manchester United gets to play away to Stoke on a cold rainy day. The response from Fifa and Uefa is as of right now very tough. They've said they will if this goes down ban the involved clubs from all competitions they govern and they'll also ban any players that play for the involved clubs from International competition. 

How do you guys think this goes? For it?

Personally while yes, greed is a factor for the clubs involved forming this new league... Fifa/Uefa/other such bodies are all heavily corrupt themselves who only care about money too. Who also came down from heaven and said only they could manage football and no other leagues could be formed? They are talking tough right now too yes, but ultimately can you imagine International competitions without the top teams and the top players? They'd devalue their own business trying to spite the top clubs so this could very well be empty threats. 

EDIT: 20/04/21

https://talksport.com/football/868866/european-super-league-off-founding-clubs-disband-chelsea-man-city/

Manchester City and Chelsea have both pulled out. Also heard word that Atletico Madrid is on the verge of pulling out. Barcelona has also said that of course any joining of such a league would be up to the socios, shareholders basically (they're against I believe) so that functions as a pull out of sorts.

All the involved clubs are apparently meeting to disband the Super League. Jose Mourinho, the Special One, gets the honour of being the one and only Super League Club manager sacked. 

Edited by Rozalia1
Update

As an American who does not follow “soccer” closely, this sounds pretty awesome to me.  All the big name teams in one league battling it out.  

I know there are some clubs that will be left out and hurt from this, but overall, I have to say I am excited about the possibility.

United fan here.  Absolutely disgusted by these news, it'll be the end of the beautiful game. 

Edit:

ESL = no more this and not only for UCL but all leagues and other cup competitions:

Edited by Fr_0zt
  • Like 4

It’s going to be really bad,all that money they are going to be getting plus playing in the “elite” super league they are going to buy-attract the best players and the competition in their championship is going to be almost non existent and it will hurt every team that is not part of it and football in general! UEFA and FIFA have a good leverage that they are going to ban every player from National teams but let’s see how many of them are going to say no to the x amount of money to play for their country!

• Like 1

Manchester City fan here - ashamed to see my club linked to such an awful proposal that spits in the face of the vast majority of fans.

Should this go ahead, I'll have to take my football support elsewhere - I've always had a soft spot for Bolton Wanderers which are my mum's and grandad's team.

• Like 1

It's been a while since I lost my attraction for football business ... it's a new step which only confirms for me that it has no interest and that I do not care ... I loved Barca in the years 2005-2012 and also I am PSG at heart but I must admit that this sport is becoming a business that disgusts me ... and even more these players who earn dellirantes sums to play the clowns on the field ... this super league is without me!

37 minutes ago, Conker said:

Absolutely hate the idea, 12 greedy dirty clubs just wanting to get richer and hurt the game as is, when they should instead be making sure teams in lower leagues can survive.

I Personally hope these "scums" get banned from there normal leagues, UEFA stuff and players banned from World Cups, if they do want back in make them start at the bottom of there countries respectieve leagues system

All these owners of these teams are assholes and don't give a fuck, they even like you have relegation?? Bunch of pricks

Here's a perspective for Americans, lets do a NBA model with 10 teams Lakers,Clippers,Celtics,Nets,Knicks, 76ers, Heat, Bulls,Mavericks, Warriors. so these teams breakway to form there own for more money, leave the rest, so there are big games always for these teams, whilst remaning teams are left to ompete in a whatsleft NBA, does that seem fair??

This is my opinoin you can disagree but this is what i believe along with many others who like soccer/football

I believe the word is that if this goes ahead or not, all those clubs are banned from going to the Champions League at the very least. 

Interestingly in all this is that the Champion's League changes are ugly ones that benefit these "Super" teams anyway, but they clearly have felt it is not enough. If they backtrack you have to imagine it'll come with concessions from Fifa.

12 minutes ago, totakos1 said:

It’s going to be really bad,all that money they are going to be getting plus playing in the “elite” super league they are going to buy-attract the best players and the competition in their championship is going to be almost non existent and it will hurt every team that is not part of it and football in general! UEFA and FIFA have a good leverage that they are going to ban every player from National teams but let’s see how many of them are going to say no to the x amount of money to play for their country!

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/platform/amp/2018/3/14/17117942/bayern-munich-eu-commission-isu-ruling-european-super-league-bundesliga-uefa-fifa-psg-mancity?_ga=2.246615620.1569167082.1618835976-1691993926.1597147351

This article I found implies that the Super League could take Fifa to court and reverse any ban on players playing for their country.

• Like 1

I'm a liverpool fan and it's more of a popularity league than a super league and come on half of the teams so far are from the premier league cause as if we don't have the chance to play each other enough as it is ? but I'm not surprised in the slightest they want to do this because it's all about the money, that and they've been talking about it for years, football has been all about money for years now but we'll see if this actual goes ahead. 

2 minutes ago, BlackTorito said:

Also, how do they expect players to keep up with 3 competitions (Regular, Super and Champions)?

There is going to be a loss in quality.

To be fair in my opinion the premier league has been lacking quality since it restarted last year after the pause apart from the odd match now and then.

To me, it levels the playing field by having all the super teams in a league with each other.  

These 12 teams are already the “haves” and have a major advantage in resources (players) against lesser teams in say the Champions league.  Is there any benefit to seeing Man U beat up on Southampton 9-0?  Of course not.

Let the “haves” play each other.  It is a much more even playing field.  Then the teams without the resources can play each other, and not have to worry about being totally outclassed.

This is interesting to me as the current semi-finals involve 3 teams in this Super League. If those teams are banned then the new semi-finals would become:

Porto vs Atalanta/Leipzig

PSG vs Dortmund

22 minutes ago, BlackTorito said:

Also, how do they expect players to keep up with 3 competitions (Regular, Super and Champions)?

There is going to be a loss in quality.

Two ways to look at that.

1: The clubs involved are expecting to be banned from those Fifa governed competitions and so it's not an issue.

2: They expect no ban or a short ban. If so then they'll field their second team for those competitions with possibly the even lower down competitions getting a third team...

2 minutes ago, Fr_0zt said:

No more Leicester and/or Nottingham Forest fairy tale stories, no more trebles.  Nothing, just United vs Milan/ Barca week in and out.... it will lose its importance. This will kill the dream, the meaning and emotion. 

Well... technically... no. 15/20 clubs in the Super League, the richest, will not be able to lose their places. However the last 5 places will be based on teams with the "highest achievements in competitions". So if say Leicester win the Champions League (much more possible without all these top teams and going every year) then the Super League would send them an invite to play in their league next year. That is if only that years achievements matter... if it overall achievement then that makes the last 5 spots far more unmoving.

6 minutes ago, Gotakibono said:

Well, it's people like yourself that this whole thing has been constructed for, but it's precisely why it's so reviled by anyone who actually follows football. 

Perhaps so, but the current leagues are so imbalanced, they hold little importance to anyone on the outside.

6 minutes ago, Fr_0zt said:

No more Leicester and/or Nottingham Forest fairy tale stories, no more trebles.  Nothing, just United vs Milan/ Barca week in and out.... it will lose its importance. This will kill the dream, the meaning and emotion. 

They still have a chance to be called up and play against the big boys as I understand it.  And now, they actually have a chance to win their league as opposed to current structure, where they are so overmatched by the big money teams,

It’s all about money. It has already happened in basketball years ago, the Euroleague (the EU most prestigious tournament) is a sort of private cup where only the founders clubs and a few invited ones can participate. Now because we’re talking about football it’s making much more noise, but sadly this is the future.

1 hour ago, Fr_0zt said:

I think domestically it should still be ok, but it depends if the teams in the Super League get booted from the leagues or something crazy happens. These stories will still happen if so, I mean Leicester nearly got relegated the year before and financially were in no place to win the league. With European football, it could be an issue with the Super League. Then again the last time an unfancied club won the UCL was what.....Porto in 2004. 

Either way, I'm unsure how I feel about this. I've been seeing alot on 'killing off European Football' but in essense wasn't it killed off years ago by greed and wealthy clubs dominating. Long gone are the days of Steuea Bucharest, Red Star Belgrade, Malmo going far in the competition. Since Porto won it in 2004, only Inter and Chelsea are the only teams to have won the UCL who haven't previously won the competition, not exactly unfancied teams to win.

UEFA and FIFA are ethically questionable, but the board of the Super League has Perez, Glacier, Henry and others who clearly are here to profit. Not exactly two groups that you want to root for. However, the biggest issue is the fact a certain group of teams despite performance are protected no matter what like Arsenal and Spurs who haven't had great years at all. Do you really think Kronke and Levy will invest millions into the squads from this money? I actually think the format of the Super League seems more interesting than the UCL with a NBA style thing, but it should be done without protecting a certain group of teams.

They saw the NFL get 100 billions dollars TV deals for a sport followed by 100 millions. So imagine what they would get for a league followed by 1 billions++ worldwide. Its all about money.

Edited by Nieird

This will be totally a cartel operation. Everything will be fixed and decided before. It will not be football. It will be a TV show.

Yes, UEFA and FIFA are corrupt. But when this go ahead it will be peanuts compared to what will be seen. Anyone believing there will be better games is a idiot. This is money pure and simple, NONE of these 12  guys that decided gives a shit about the sport. Any football fan that supports this is a moron.

5 minutes ago, rockstarjazz said:

Prat.

You know nothing about football.

If you did you'd know this is a catastrophic idea that will shatter over a century of traditions, history and links to communities the clubs were built from - all to satisfy some greedy capitalist American piece of sh*t owners who has more money than sense.

F U C K the European super league. I hope it doesn't see the light of day. Even the players themselves shouldnt turn up for these matches.

I been a Liverpool fan for nearly 20 years. If this happens i am absolutely done with football.

Americans should respect our traditions in the game, or f**k off back to their mass shooting country.

lol, holy overreaction.  This is not Americans doing this to your football btw.  But classy final sentence.

I am definitely not the most versed in the current setup but it does not seem all that different than the current structure, say a Premier or La Liga regional league and then the Champions league of the superpowers (Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester, etc).

It is just now that those clubs want to keep more of the revenue instead of having to share so much of it with the have nots.  After all, they are the ones shelling out silly money for all the Messi, Neymar, etc. types.  

There would be winners/losers to all of this for sure.  Things evolve over time.  The Premier league in its current form was only established in 1992 itself so let’s not go overboard with this history/traditions.

But I believe the Super League teams want to continue with regional leagues on weekend, and this new Super League would replace the current Champions league as I understand it.  Of course, the backlash is strong and threats of not allowing them to play in the regional leagues but that is driven by the have-nots.