European Super League Announced

Rozalia1

If that happens it will be the end of football. Breathtaking playoffs with varied teams would be replaced by totally bland games with the same teams as always. If this ridiculous league project goes ahead, it might look just like FIFA demos : exciting at first, but as time goes by and you see the same game combinations and the same players, you feel like throwing the controller on TV.

1 minute ago, vinicius2323 said:

If that happens it will be the end of football. Breathtaking playoffs with varied teams would be replaced by totally bland games with the same teams as always. If this ridiculous league project goes ahead, it might look just like FIFA demos : exciting at first, but as time goes by and you see the same game combinations and the same players, you feel like throwing the controller on TV.

I’d argue there is not much variation today.  Look at the Champions league results.  It is already those same proposed Super League clubs winning it every year as they have all the advantages.

The have-not clubs don’t have much success as it is.  A salary cap for rosters could even the playing field to give some of these smaller clubs a fighting chance but that is not bloody likely.

4 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Eu diria que não há muita variação hoje. Veja os resultados da Liga dos Campeões. Já são os mesmos propostos clubes da Super League que ganham todos os anos, pois têm todas as vantagens.

Os clubes despossuídos não têm muito sucesso como estão. Um teto salarial para escalações poderia até mesmo o campo de jogo para dar a alguns desses clubes menores uma chance de lutar, mas isso não é muito provável.

I disagree with you. See the Champions League Round of 16 table for the 2011-12 season until 2020-21. Of 16 teams that progress to the round of 16, only 3 are repeated consistently: Bayern, Real Madrid, FC Barcelona. Even though these clubs had more participation in the semi-finals / finals, they did not have an easy path there. For example: Real Madrid was almost eliminated for Wolfsburg in 2016 and thanks to the CR7 hat-trick they passed the stage. That kind of surprise from teams like Wolfsburg, Ajax in 2019 when they eliminated Juventus and Real Madrid; RB Leipzig eliminating Tottenham and Atlético Madrid; Atalanta, who until a few years ago was a supporting team in Italy playing in the quarter-finals with PSG and almost winning. This kind of exciting game that makes football fun would be impossible in a competition where only the same 12 teams compete, and even if they called random teams they might not be able to compete on equal terms (which is possible in a champions league).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vinicius2323 said:

I disagree with you. See the Champions League Round of 16 table for the 2011-12 season until 2020-21. Of 16 teams that progress to the round of 16, only 3 are repeated consistently: Bayern, Real Madrid, FC Barcelona. Even though these clubs had more participation in the semi-finals / finals, they did not have an easy path there. For example: Real Madrid was almost eliminated for Wolfsburg in 2016 and thanks to the CR7 hat-trick they passed the stage. That kind of surprise from teams like Wolfsburg, Ajax in 2019 when they eliminated Juventus and Real Madrid; RB Leipzig eliminating Tottenham and Atlético Madrid; Atalanta, who until a few years ago was a supporting team in Italy playing in the quarter-finals with PSG and almost winning. This kind of exciting game that makes football fun would be impossible in a competition where only the same 12 teams compete, and even if they called random teams they might not be able to compete on equal terms (which is possible in a champions league).

good point and I do mostly agree with you.  It is probably better off in its current form, as when a “Cinderella” team wins a game or two, it causes a lot of excitement.  

We have a similar setup here for our college basketball NCAA tourney.  This would be the equivalent of all of the Blue-Bloods (UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc.) leaving to form its own tourney and dramatically reducing the number of mid-majors and low-majors who make it and is often so much of the fun.

The proposal I saw was 15 “super” clubs and 5 play-in clubs that could fit that bill for the examples you list (so the magic would not totally be lost) but I definitely understand the argument for keeping it as is.

Perhaps all it takes to get those clubs to come back is a negotiated revenue sharing agreement, where they can keep a little bit more of their winnings.

Good post though.

the smaller teams beating the bigger boys and sometimes finishing above them is what makes football exciting, giant killings in the cups and leicester city winning the prem is what football is all about, this super league is going to completely destroy football and I really hate it

the fans, players and staff of all clubs haven’t even been thought of at all, it’s disgusting what these super rich owners are doing to our game, the so called “elite clubs” is a joke as well, us and united haven’t been elite for years and spurs have never been elite.

I get that it’s exciting to see the big clubs competing every week but that’s what the champions league is for, the no relegation part just takes away competition and I have no idea how these guys reckon they can still compete in the league as well, fa, fifa and uefa are well in the right to kick them all out, the points should be deducted right away from these 12 clubs, enough to relegate for even thinking of this idea, this should stand even if the super league doesn’t go ahead, it will suck for us fans, players and staff of the clubs but it’s needed

This better not happen, honestly don’t think it will because I can see so many teams, fans, pundits, players all coming together to end it, marches will happen and boycotts

arsenal fan btw

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vinicius2323 said:

I'd like it to be a one legged tie like in international competitions, like how the European Cup was many years ago. Think it would alot more excitement to the competition and have a greater variety of teams reaching latter stages. Also footballers play a crazy amount of games already, it would lessen to load on them also.

It wont happen as too much money in the clubs having home/away ties and the protection it gives the elite clubs if they have a bad day. As we all know modern football is all about greed and keeping an established elite at the top.

16 hours ago, djb5f said:

lol, holy overreaction.  This is not Americans doing this to your football btw.  But classy final sentence.

I am definitely not the most versed in the current setup but it does not seem all that different than the current structure, say a Premier or La Liga regional league and then the Champions league of the superpowers (Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester, etc).

It is just now that those clubs want to keep more of the revenue instead of having to share so much of it with the have nots.  After all, they are the ones shelling out silly money for all the Messi, Neymar, etc. types.  

There would be winners/losers to all of this for sure.  Things evolve over time.  The Premier league in its current form was only established in 1992 itself so let’s not go overboard with this history/traditions.

But I believe the Super League teams want to continue with regional leagues on weekend, and this new Super League would replace the current Champions league as I understand it.  Of course, the backlash is strong and threats of not allowing them to play in the regional leagues but that is driven by the have-nots.

Are you daft, you're talking about those clubs shelling out for the big players, go and have a look at where all these players have come from, what small clubs these players trained and became what they are today, you think many of these clubs are going to survive with most of the wealth split between the top 12 clubs in Europe, eventually it will kill football. 

You think with those top 12 clubs gaining 300m plus a year from this that's not going to cause a massive gap in quality between the top 6 clubs in England and the rest of the league. West Ham and Leicester can say goodbye to ever getting in the top 4 again.

If this super league replaces the champions league, the desire for the smaller clubs to finish in the top half of the table becomes worthless, because there's no European football for them to challenge for. 

It used to be a big thing when man United or Chelsea drew a big Spanish powerhouse in the champions league, with this proposed plan they will be playing them twice a year for the next 23 years, the magic of football will be non existent and become stale and boring. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Precision-Playyy said:

Are you daft, you're talking about those clubs shelling out for the big players, go and have a look at where all these players have come from, what small clubs these players trained and became what they are today, you think many of these clubs are going to survive with most of the wealth split between the top 12 clubs in Europe, eventually it will kill football. 

You think with those top 12 clubs gaining 300m plus a year from this that's not going to cause a massive gap in quality between the top 6 clubs in England and the rest of the league. West Ham and Leicester can say goodbye to ever getting in the top 4 again.

If this super league replaces the champions league, the desire for the smaller clubs to finish in the top half of the table becomes worthless, because there's no European football for them to challenge for. 

It used to be a big thing when man United or Chelsea drew a big Spanish powerhouse in the champions league, with this proposed plan they will be playing them twice a year for the next 23 years, the magic of football will be non existent and become stale and boring. 

It won’t kill “football”, but yes, it will make an even bigger gap between the “haves” and “have-nots” and I understand why folks are against that.

It will split into a major league and minor league with a clearer divide.  We are sort of already there is what I am saying as the power teams already buy their roster with the star players (and therefore wins).  

This would just end any pretext of there being a level playing field (hint, there already isn’t).

1 hour ago, djb5f said:

It won’t kill “football”, but yes, it will make an even bigger gap between the “haves” and “have-nots” and I understand why folks are against that.

It will split into a major league and minor league with a clearer divide.  We are sort of already there is what I am saying as the power teams already buy their roster with the star players (and therefore wins).  

This would just end any pretext of there being a level playing field (hint, there already isn’t).

I'm not sure what football you have been watching but the divide isn't that big at the moment, the likes of West ham, Leicester, Everton and Leeds have been astonishing this season, 2 of those teams in the top 4, if city hadn't of gone on the run of wins they did it would have been fair game for the league. 

The same goes for the Spanish league, Madrid and Barcelona have been struggling recently and atletico sat on top of the table for most of the season, also the same goes for the Italian league. 

Yes the big clubs can go out and splash alot of cash at the moment for big names, but big names doesn't always work, players need to adapt and sometimes they don't. 

https://talksport.com/football/868866/european-super-league-off-founding-clubs-disband-chelsea-man-city/

Manchester City and Chelsea have both pulled out. Also heard word that Atletico Madrid is on the verge of pulling out. Barcelona has also said that of course any joining of such a league would be up to the socios, shareholders basically (they're against I believe) so that functions as a pull out.

All the involved clubs are apparently meeting to disband the Super League. Jose Mourinho, the Special One, gets the honour of being the one and only Super League Club manager sacked. 

Hopefully, people keep this energy and say, stop the expansion of the Champions League which is being done to help the rich. Certain clubs also escaping the damage here should not be trusted going forward. Bayern is the big one as they were part of this whole mess, being a leader of it, then after getting their concessions from UEFA (Champions League expansion) pulled out... but considering I imagine this would not have launched without Bayern... I'm thinking that Bayern (and Dortmund and PSG) stabbed the 12 here in the back by being in until the very last moment and then pulling out. So Bayern gets their expansion of the Champions League and their main competition gets heavily damaged meaning they are far more likely to dominate in Europe, plus UEFA becomes indebted to them for helping to kill off this threat (which they largely organised) to them.

Don't get me wrong. The 12 involved are terrible, but I have the feeling Bayern is the worst of the lot as they seem to have betrayed the other 12 and look like they'll be getting off here while getting everything they have ever wanted. As for the 12, you have to imagine that punishments will still occur, perhaps lesser punishments for the likes of Chelsea/Man City for helping kill it from within. I think punishment beyond simply deducting points or banning from competitions for a time might be the way to go here. As American owners are such a big part of this, give them an American punishment and force them to sell their clubs. As far as I know, there isn't a mechanism for that... but "sell or we kick you from everything" should do the trick. 

• Like 2

Arsenal fan, I hope this failed power/cash grab finally pushes Silent Stan out of the club. 

After years of mismanagement and piss-poor investment, not a chance in Hell do we deserve to be rubbing shoulders with Europe’s elite. We’re barely top 10 in England, what gives us the right to say we are one of the best 12 in Europe? Embarrassing. 

As for having “big matches” - I remember growing up and being super excited on Tuesday and Wednesday nights to see teams like AC Milan with players like Seadorf, Kaka, Maldini; or Barcelona with Ronaldinho, or the Galacticos of Real Madrid. The idea of watching AC Milan v Real Madrid now is not enticing at all because the teams are no where near the same quality they used to be. The best players have got old, and the younger ones have not filled the boots. I’d like to ask all the Arsenal fans here - how many of the current team would get anywhere near to the Invincibles? Saka and ESR maybe in reserve, maybe Tierney too. I’m barely excited to watch us play at the weekend - I’m terrified how bad we are going to be this week! The thought of playing Europe’s big boys and getting pumped every week for a bit of extra dollar in the owners pocket? No thanks. 

19 hours ago, djb5f said:

lol, holy overreaction.  This is not Americans doing this to your football btw.  But classy final sentence.

I am definitely not the most versed in the current setup but it does not seem all that different than the current structure, say a Premier or La Liga regional league and then the Champions league of the superpowers (Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester, etc).

It is just now that those clubs want to keep more of the revenue instead of having to share so much of it with the have nots.  After all, they are the ones shelling out silly money for all the Messi, Neymar, etc. types.  

There would be winners/losers to all of this for sure.  Things evolve over time.  The Premier league in its current form was only established in 1992 itself so let’s not go overboard with this history/traditions.

But I believe the Super League teams want to continue with regional leagues on weekend, and this new Super League would replace the current Champions league as I understand it.  Of course, the backlash is strong and threats of not allowing them to play in the regional leagues but that is driven by the have-nots.

JP Morgan, a big bank in US has invested 35 billions for this

• Like 2

This has had the best outcome possible for a Man United fan.....see ya Woodward! I'd rather us decline than become the club we've become post Ferguson/Gill.

Then again, with the Glazers still present, it'll probably be just as bad.....but you never know after this and maybe American owners will be driven away......

22 minutes ago, Shinoda_2qx said:

Arsenal fan, I hope this failed power/cash grab finally pushes Silent Stan out of the club. 

After years of mismanagement and piss-poor investment, not a chance in Hell do we deserve to be rubbing shoulders with Europe’s elite. We’re barely top 10 in England, what gives us the right to say we are one of the best 12 in Europe? Embarrassing. 

As for having “big matches” - I remember growing up and being super excited on Tuesday and Wednesday nights to see teams like AC Milan with players like Seadorf, Kaka, Maldini; or Barcelona with Ronaldinho, or the Galacticos of Real Madrid. The idea of watching AC Milan v Real Madrid now is not enticing at all because the teams are no where near the same quality they used to be. The best players have got old, and the younger ones have not filled the boots. I’d like to ask all the Arsenal fans here - how many of the current team would get anywhere near to the Invincibles? Saka and ESR maybe in reserve, maybe Tierney too. I’m barely excited to watch us play at the weekend - I’m terrified how bad we are going to be this week! The thought of playing Europe’s big boys and getting pumped every week for a bit of extra dollar in the owners pocket? No thanks. 

I feel really sorry for Arsenal out of all the US owned EPL teams the most. Been a horrid decade or so for you guys. Hopefully things will change.

Not an Arsenal fan, but think a few would make the bench. Aubameyang, but he's probably be 3rd choice behind Henry/Bergkamp and even then Wiltord/Kanu would give him a run for his money! Not even sure Tierney would make it as Clichy was back up for Cole at the time. Not that he's been great for Arsenal so far, but I think Partey gets too in as back up for Gilberto. Saka/Bellerin a case could be made for also.

Agree big time with the players of the modern day just not being as exciting to watch, maybe it's just nostalgia as I was young but I loved the crop of footballers from the late 90's to late 00's. So many amazing players during those years all across Europe. 

Edited by GloriousFury9414

17 minutes ago, Vergil said:

JP Morgan, a big bank in US has invested 35 billions for this

Oh I understand there is some American owners/backing, but 2/3 of the proposed Super League club owners are not Americans.  There is culpability with those European owners.  

7 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Oh I understand there is some American owners/backing, but 2/3 of the proposed Super League club owners are not Americans.  There is culpability with those European owners.  

Everything is corrupt in the end. Fifa , Uefa. Its all about money, nothing else

The clubs had their Jim Ryan moment.

Florentino Perez, the main mobster isn't worried that clubs leave Super League. They can always be just 2 or 4, it will be easier to decide who wins each game anyway. With 12 it was a bigger problem. This was always going to end badly. Either it was completely fixed and a bore to watch, or the losers would simply jump out immediately. These guys were going for the easy immediate money, creating a bigger issue later for them, and everyone else in between.

And neither Manchester City or Chelsea owners wanted much troubles with the government for obvious reasons. The other english clubs jumped ship as they knew they were in trouble once there were other defections in their country partners.

FIFA and UEFA are a bunch of crooks too, but sometimes the lesser evil in the best. Unfortunately. Hopefully exemplary punishments will ensue anyway. Or more likely there will be hugs and kisses in a few days and all is well.

What a clowns, this whole fiasco lasted 2 days.

EDIT At least Arsenal apologized, something the others don't even bother to do. Jim Ryan neither btw...

Prediction. Next ones to jump ship? Inter Milan.

Edited by cris3f
  • Like 1