Is it worth getting Afterbirth and Afterbirth+ right away?

Greetings everyone.

So after watching youtubers play this and having dabbled in a little of Isaac on steam, I decided to get it on PS4 because why the heck not really? (that and I've double dipped on SO many games in the past before because f it!). Got a few trophies already and began to wonder, is it worth getting the DLC right away? I'm pondering that because while I was thinking to myself, "Just get all of the original done first" even though that will no doubt take me like a year knowing my track record with getting games done, I also then thought about what if the items in the DLC actually helped me with the trophies for the base game....

So... they worth it right away or just wait.

Thanks!

I am in a similar boat.  I just started playing this game after watching others play the new expansion (I forget what it is called).

Personally, I do not have the DLC, and have just been playing on "Rebirth", but I would be interested to hear others' opinions.

• Like 1

I'd strongly recommend holding off on the DLCs, at least at first. Each one makes the game as a whole much more difficult, as well as adding additional requirements for the platinum. Some unlocks are made easier, but unlocking one of the items requires you to complete everything with a challenging character, and that "everything" expands with each DLC. The character in question does get significantly buffed in Afterbirth, so there's a case to be made to pick that one up if you find yourself struggling, but in general I recommend holding off until you unlock the item

Spoiler

Godhead

• Like 2

i did it all with the dlc from the start, honestly may as well start with it so u can get the items needed for the dlc too. theres a number of op items you can use to retote items needed if u still need stuff when dopne with everything else, the item mentioned above i managed to get a number of times legit compared to one of the dlc ones.

Yes, absolutely. The DLC changes so many mechanics and adds so many items, and it will be difficult to break your muscle memory and adapt to all these changes. Additionally, it will be harder to find information about base rebirth as the wikia update the information with each new DLC. I also just think the DLC is really great, adds a ton of great content, and fixes a ton of synergies and interactions that were either not fleshed out or didn't make sense. The DLC isn't like most games where it's simply an optional area or some extraneous content; it's basically an overhaul of the entire game while also adding a ton of new content (that also interact with old content)

And no, the game is not difficult if you know what you are doing. It is very time consuming, but a great deal of that is just learning the items and mechanics. It is truly one of the best and most in-depth games out there, which is why it has such a large hardcore fanbase that can put hundreds or thousands of hours into the game. If you are solely focused on 100%'ing it though, it will take around 150-200 hours for a new player, although an experienced one could do it in much less. 

When it comes to game knowledge though, there is a lot you can do to make your path to 100% a lot easier, and you can check out my thread on how to approach it if you want, because it can seem very overwhelming at first.  

(Note this is for AB+ so many things may be different for base Rebirth)

Also keep in mind that Repentance just released on Steam (and should on PS in a few months) and that also changes a ton of mechanics and adds arguably as much content as both AB and AB+ combined (maybe more), so you might even want to just outright get that.

Edited by machaesthetic
  • Like 1

If you're playing for the trophies, I'd advise you get afterbirth, and then afterbirth+ after you've gotten the platinum. 

For an unlock required for the plat you need to beat all major bosses with a very difficult character, and AB+ adds an impossibly hard boss that is quite unfair. Otherwise, if you want to chance the grind for that boss just get both DLCs right away

I would go one by one. Each expansion makes the game more complex and difficult and they require good knowledge of the game. I haven't played Afterbirth+ so far, but the jump from Rebirth to Afterbirth was hella fun. 

If you can't wait for the DLCs, but want to go for the all trophies, you should at least follow the advice @Xylobe mentioned and unlock that item.

Edited by Sardavanua

Are you going for 100%?

I would wait.

I'm doing all I can in vanilla on Vita, except one certain character.

Getting Afterbirth makes this character much easier, collecting also gets easier because you can break greed mode and exhaust item pools to get what you need.

Iirc, there is one grindy secret that you can't do in vanilla (playing 30? dailies)

Ps: Afterbirth unlocks the most difficult character in the game, after a substantial grind. (...and you'll have to do everything with IT)

Edited by Bratinov

• 2 months later...
On 4/28/2021 at 1:17 AM, Bratinov said:

Ps: Afterbirth unlocks the most difficult character in the game, after a substantial grind. (...and you'll have to do everything with IT)

Are you referring to

Spoiler

The Keeper? I think he is easier than Eve. Coins appear WAY more often than soul/black hearts. You can see on my profile that I killed The Lamb and ??? in the same day.

On 21/07/2021 at 0:58 AM, FrostyMcNugs said:

Are you referring to

Reveal hidden contents

The Keeper? I think he is easier than Eve. Coins appear WAY more often than soul/black hearts. You can see on my profile that I killed The Lamb and ??? in the same day.

Congrats! It was a nightmare for me on PC, really not looking forward to this.