Any way to tell if used PS3 had CFW installed before on it?

Shizo

Recently with the news about PSN shutdown, I took out my old original 2006 fat 60Gb PS3, bought 1Tb SSD to download all my digital games from PSN. But after plugin it in, it just YLOD on me. I tried everything, even disassembled it and replaced thermal paste. It seems to be dead.

Decided to buy PS3 Slim. Since it's 2021, there is only used market. In my region (Russia), most of them are sold with CFW on used market due to rampant piracy. Some of them are listed as non-jailbroken and even with few original games, but is there a way to quickly check if there was CFW installed anywhere in the UI? I don't want to risk my account getting banned by Sony. I googled about it, and Sony still regularly bans PSN accounts for CFW/Piracy, it's more likely to get your account banned than CFW PS3 itself.

And I know that Sony reverted their decision on PS3 store shutdown, but who knows what they will do in a year or so. 

13 minutes ago, Shizo said:

Recently with the news about PSN shutdown, I took out my old original 2006 fat 60Gb PS3, bought 1Tb SSD to download all my digital games from PSN. But after plugin it in, it just YLOD on me. I tried everything, even disassembled it and replaced thermal paste. It seems to be dead.

Decided to buy PS3 Slim. Since it's 2021, there is only used market. In my region (Russia), most of them are sold with CFW on used market due to rampant piracy. Some of them are listed as non-jailbroken and even with few original games, but is there a way to quickly check if there was CFW installed anywhere in the UI? I don't want to risk my account getting banned by Sony. I googled about it, and Sony still regularly bans PSN accounts for CFW/Piracy, it's more likely to get your account banned than CFW PS3 itself.

And I know that Sony reverted their decision on PS3 store shutdown, but who knows what they will do in a year or so. 

Likely the NEC Tolkin capacitors to send power to the Cell and RSX needs to be replaced.

As for the CFW PS3, it's on the hard drive, not the system itself. So if you buy a used ps3, either wipe the hard drive or just replace it

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

Likely the NEC Tolkin capacitors to send power to the Cell and RSX needs to be replaced.

As for the CFW PS3, it's on the hard drive, not the system itself. So if you buy a used ps3, either wipe the hard drive or just replace it

Alright thanks. I read that bans are in waves and Sony bans all the accounts that was on the jailbroken PS3 caught in a wave. I guess, I might be too paranoid. I bought model 3000, they shouldn't have CFW on it, only WebKit Exploit which is way more limited and is not permanent requiring doing it every time.

I guess I will just use dummy account after I factory reset the system to log in first and if it's fine in few days, just log in with my main account.

As for capacitor I will look into it, but I have original Japanese PS3 60Gb model. One with full PS2 inside, card readers and 4 USB ports. It might be better to play on Slim model anyway even if I end up fixing original PS3, because of how loud and hot old PS3 got, it's like 45nm Cell vs 90nm.

Edited by Shizo

2 minutes ago, Shizo said:

Alright thanks. I read that bans are in waves and Sony bans all the accounts that was on the jailbroken PS3 caught in a wave. I guess, I might be too paranoid. I bought model 3000, they shouldn't have CFW on it, only WebKit Exploit which is way more limited and is not permanent requiring doing it every time.

I guess I will just use dummy account after I factory reset the system to log in first and if it's fine in few days, just log in with my main account.

As for capacitor I will look into it, but I have original Japanese PS3 60Gb model. When with full PS2 inside, card readers and 4 USB ports. It might be better to play on Slim model anyway even if I end up fixing original PS3, because of how loud and hot old PS3 got, it's like 45nm Cell vs 90nm.

If it ran loud and hot, it needs a delid on the rsx and cell to replace the thermal compound under the IHS

Well, scrap all the paranoia about CFW. Got my used PS3 Slim today. Seller fucking scammed me, has broken HDMI but working analogue output. Thing is, I have a modern LG 4K OLED TV, it doesn't have VGA/Component inputs. Only HDMI.

Fuck me. Sorry for venting.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Shizo said:

Well, scrap all the paranoia about CFW. Got my used PS3 Slim today. Seller fucking scammed me, has broken HDMI but working analogue output. Thing is, I have a modern LG 4K OLED TV, it doesn't have VGA/Component inputs. Only HDMI.

Fuck me. Sorry for venting.

You may have already "solved" your situation but here's something it may help you in the future. 

-cfw ps3- 

I bought a few used ps3( yeah, i was very unlucky in the years) and reading here and there because i was worried about your same thing, i got warned about banned ps3 and restored. If i understood well, a cfw disappear if you reset the ps3, so no real problem there...but a banned ps3 for cfw AND then restored will probably be banned again, risking your account with it. I don't know how to verify if a ps3 is banned or not, but you may find something on google i guess.

-ylod- solution 1

I got your same problem and solved in 2 ps3 out of 3.

First thing first, an YLOD may be caused by various things, like for example a damage in the cpu, but the most common thing are nektokins( they are small squared components inside the mother board) not doing their work anymore. You will need to change them and you need an heat pistol (don't really know how to say it in english, but you may find some videos around and get an idea).

After changing them, you need to replace the thermic paste (replacing only this won't do any good, nektokins are your only solution.

-ylod- solution 2

This one is just a temporary solution but it worked fine for me. Basically, with a phon, heat up the inside of ps3 from the rear opening for like 1 minute( NEVER, AND I SAY NEVER do like someone who put ps3 in the oven or in the fridge. It has some science behind it, but you will ruin your ps3). Then try to power on the ps3 various time, the first times you will hear the vent running at max and ps3 immediately power off, this is due to the high temperature..so keep trying and eventually it will power on. 

This way you will probably melt the plastic, but your ps3 will rise and you may be able to copy some saves or sync trophies before it dies again maybe 30 mins after.

If you wanna do something more and make your ps3 endure few months or even a year, after this method you can install a vent(replacing the original) with external commands. This way, you will bring your ps3 back from YLOD and with the vent constantly blowing in the motherboard, you will prevent the YLOD.

I hope i was clear enough. You can find videos on the tube. Good luck with your ps3

• 1 month later...
On 21.04.2021 at 0:02 AM, ddrakner said:

This one is just a temporary solution but it worked fine for me. Basically, with a phon, heat up the inside of ps3 from the rear opening for like 1 minute( NEVER, AND I SAY NEVER do like someone who put ps3 in the oven or in the fridge. It has some science behind it, but you will ruin your ps3). Then try to power on the ps3 various time, the first times you will hear the vent running at max and ps3 immediately power off, this is due to the high temperature..so keep trying and eventually it will power on. 

I used an over on my old PS3 fat and it worked for a few weeks after that lol