Pickoff Trophy

ForensicAcctnt

Honest to God just keep trying. You need a base runner with at least 75 speed so they'll attempt to steal more often. Intentionally walk him and then only attempt a pick off if you see him take that extra step. If you hold down L2 and the O button it'll do the most deceptive pick off move and thats how i got it done. I also turned off button accuracy fielding and just had straight up buttons instead to try to make the throws to first more accurate.

I got it in Diamond Dynasty. I went into the marketplace and looked for a pitcher with the quirk of pickoff artist. I bought a Max Fried card, the first one I could find. I then chose Play vs CPU, and of course, selected Fried as my starting pitcher.

I would play as home team so that I'd pitch first. It took me about 20 tries to get. Here's the strategy I used: I would intentionally walk the lead off guy. If you watch him with R2, he generally doesn't try to take an extra step, so there's not much point in throwing over. I would try to strike out the next two guys - didn't want the lead off guy to advance. With two outs, the lead off guy seems to try to steal more often. So, I just threw over with R2 and a long press on Circle regardless of his lead. I would try a few times and then restart if he wasn't running.

I actually succeeded in throwing over while he was running twice. I was too shocked the first time (on my third or fourth attempt) and took too long to throw over to second, so I had to do it again to get the trophy. I don't know if this will help, but the two teams that I was able to get in a rundown were the Orioles (unsuccessful) and the Brewers.  I was choosing teams a bit at random to try out against lead off guys with different speed/steal ratings.

Anyway, I don't know how much the pick off artist quirk actually helps, but it probably doesn't hurt!  It did cost me around 1500 stubbs for Fried. There might be someone else you can find for less. 

Good luck!

Echoing the reply above, I followed that advice for using Max Fried. I played an exhibition game (to adjust the sliders) against the Royals since they have a good candidate for steals at lead-off, Whit Merrifield.

Here's what I suggest: Intentionally walk him. Then, watch his lead-off. On certain pitches he will take an extra step, which is pretty noticeable if you're watching carefully. Then, make your pick-off move. Don't waste it when he's closer to the bag. Play through the inning as needed until you see him take this extra step.

When I did it, I threw nothing but fastballs. If it failed, I restarted. Took me around 10-15 tries with this method. Be ready though as you'll probably need to react to throwing to second rather than having him tagged out diving back to first.

Boy have I tried this a few times! Am I missing something with the fact that there is only one speed to throw to the base at? I tried double-tapping, tapping, and holding didn't seem to do anything. The runner makes it back to first with ages to spare.

The only way I eventually got it, after lots and lots of failed attempts in single player, was to do it in a session with a friend. 

Worth noting, at least in my numerous tries, is that the huge lead off needed to pick off the runner is way more than the CPU takes when on base.

Just got this trophy in a random way.   It may be the easiest yet.

In RTTS, attempt a pickoff on the first base runner.  

Slightly miss so the 1st baseman has to run and grab it but not so terribly he won’t be in time to throw to second for the out.

Once you screw up the initial pick off, the runner should go for second.  

As long as your first baseman gets it in time for the out on second it’ll work.  

I had the computer in charge of fielding so it was pretty much automatic once it hit the dirt near the first basemen’s feet and bounced away. 

Voila.  Trophy popped. 

Edited by Count-Karnstein

On 4/25/2021 at 7:08 PM, p_strawn said:

Echoing the reply above, I followed that advice for using Max Fried. I played an exhibition game (to adjust the sliders) against the Royals since they have a good candidate for steals at lead-off, Whit Merrifield.

Here's what I suggest: Intentionally walk him. Then, watch his lead-off. On certain pitches he will take an extra step, which is pretty noticeable if you're watching carefully. Then, make your pick-off move. Don't waste it when he's closer to the bag. Play through the inning as needed until you see him take this extra step.

When I did it, I threw nothing but fastballs. If it failed, I restarted. Took me around 10-15 tries with this method. Be ready though as you'll probably need to react to throwing to second rather than having him tagged out diving back to first.

This was a great suggestion but one thing is Fried is hurt right now so he not in the rotation. I used Plesac on the Indians just because I knew he was good at pick-offs in real life. I think Kershaw also has a solid pick-off move too.

I noticed Fried's injury too when I went to do it on PS4. I manually went into roster management and moved him back up from AAA. I didn't want to search for another with the pick-off quirk. Good call on Plesac and Kershaw. I also happened to get a legit pick-off with Ryu in MTO, so he's a solid option as well.

On 5/10/2021 at 4:47 PM, iSlaygen said:

Does anyone have any further suggestions? I have tried the above method with no luck. I would prefer not to boost if possible, this is the last trophy needed for the platinum

I managed this one during my March to October run.  I tried to pick off a runner at 3rd base with a right handed pitcher and as I did he ran home, which I threw him out from third. I know this might be pure luck, but maybe it will help.

PSA. I was trying to get a high speed steal runner on first as described above with no luck. I got the trophy on RTTS when a slow runner with bad steal took two step lead. Maybe this is the correct strategy and not a high likelihood of actually stealing. 

As a disclaimer I have to admit that I'm very poor at playing in online modes but I have been the current event, Silver Sluggers, because it appeals to me and is helping me rank up a bunch of my silver players I like to use anyway.  I mention this as I typically end up in the lower tier of players which probably makes a difference in my experience in locking down this trophy.

That being said I have now twice pulled of picking off a baserunner this week.  I have found that many of the opponents I face try to lead off the bag all the way around the diamond and with runners that aren't likely to pull of a steal.  I personally try to force them to stay next to the bag so if I catch them taking an extra step or two I will throw to lead base.  This some times results in me throwing upwards of 12-15 or more times straight to the bag as some opponents are slow learners and it takes them a while to figure out that I'm going to throw to the bag every blasted time they stretch their leadoff.  In doing so I have once picked off a runner on 1st and once caught a runner trying to steal 2nd in a run down from a pickoff move.

I know this could be a bit chancy and your mileage may certainly vary, but since I just did again a few minutes ago I thought I might offer it as a possibility for players still struggling to pull this off against the CPU.  I should also mention that I don't think any of the pitchers I'm using has a pick off quirk.  John Means is the pitcher I was using in my most recent success and I do use several lefties at pitcher due to the tendency of opponents using left handed bats in lineups.

• 3 months later...

Easy way to get this.

Use a left handed pitcher. I used Max Fried of the Braves.

Get two outs any way you can.

Intentionally walk batter so there's a runner on first.

Get count to 3-2 on next batter.

Pick off instead of going home.

I did have the steal frequency slider all the way up, but I've done this three times now.   Standard baseball procedure is to run 3-2 with two outs.  I'm not sure if lefty makes it easier, but like I said, I did it three times with Fried.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...