rjkclarke's Carnival of Diamonds and Rust

rjkclarke

22 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

No need for being self-conscious! Your shit's great, and nobody minds the wait. Until you're getting paid, your schedule is at your leisure!

Also, is it true that in the UK, leisure is pronounced 'lye-zyur-ey?'

Thanks for the much needed and probably annoying at this point pep talk ?

Although - the length of Rise of the Tomb Raiders review, you'll see why it took a while. I might have to consciously shorten the Shadow of the Tomb Raider one, because it's got so much DLC in it.

I don't think anyone from the UK would pronounce it like that - not even the ultra posho UK folk that speak the queens English.

I think it's different to how you guys do in the US though - that sounds more like Leee-shure. Although like in the US we've got loads of regional dialects so that pronunciation will change depending on where you are too I suppose.

I actually never played the second one (or Scarface, for that matter) because I didn't want to overdo it with open world games. I missed out on The Getaway - a huge gaming regret that I'll one day remedy with my thankfully still alive-and-kicking PS2 - but none of the rest outside of Rockstar stuff (barring Sleeping Dogs, of course) really appealed to me. I might do a post on The Godfather on my checklist... why not? The whole point of doin your own thread is to make your own rules, right?!

The second one is actually quite a good time. Michael at least doesn't look quite so bad in that one. Although he sounds nothing like Pacino, which isn't ideal.

Scarface was actually pretty good - I never finished it, but I played quite a lot of it. I remember getting hackedoff because I lost most of my in game money in a failed drug deal and I didn't want to play the game much after that, because I had to rebuild all of my fortune.  I don't know that making it a direct sequel to the film was necessarily the best idea. It made sense to set it within the events of the movie, but nope it's set after the film... Go figure.

I never played all that much of The Getaways, I remember it having some pretty funny dialogue. Like the cockney Brits were super cockney..... I've got such a vivid memory of one line in particular where one of the characters is distraught and delivers a line in such a weird way, with " OH MY GOD.... YOU KILLED SUZY!! YOU BLOOODY WANKERS" ........ It's just not what you expect to hear from someone in that situation and it's always made me chuckle a bit.

Yes!! Go write that post on your checklist, why the hell not, like you said, your thread your rules. I'm planning to do some games without trophies at some point myself.

I'd sure as hell like to read in some more depth what you thought of that Godfather game. I'd really like to read that, I'm sure plenty of other people would too.

Quistis ate the monsters too!

Lucky monsters!

I loved that pixely teacher lady! I can't remember how she conventionally learned her blue mage skills in that game, I think you feed her items, so I guess it is similar.

I remember making her loads of good blue magic attacks out of Cards. I think you're right, she probably did eat them.

Well of course there is, they met by the tree and went bowling with my last roommate's copies of GTAIV and Ocarina of Time. He actually confirmed this, so don't be silly - it is in fact a real thing1f609.png

That makes sense.... :dunno:

Who am I to question that ?

I doubt GTAIV probably liked having to go bowling though..... You'd think it'd be absolutely sick of it, because of y'know...............  ROMAN

I don't know why he gets so much hate though, he asked me to " go see girls " far more than he ever asked me to go bowling.

7 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

There is probably an image somewhere on the internet of it hahah

Haha well yeah I can believe that. I liked Snow as a character overall, though a lot didn't I think. Troy Baker is an awesome guy so was cool he voiced him (Got his autograph)

I'm looking forward to what will probably be a whole forum page essay on XIII-2 lol maybe longer if you end up ranting about Noel....:P

I hope there is, that Noel image needs to happen.

I like Snow as well - I wasn't aware that he wasn't popular? Shame, there's much worse characters in XIII to rag on before going for Snow........ Y'know like Hope

I like Troy Baker too - even if he does seem to have the ambition of looking as close to the human equivelant of a 99 Ice Cream without the flake as humanly possible.

I hope it isn't a whole forum pages length, that'd be crazy - I'll give myself carpel tunnel syndrome at that rate, if I did something like that. I won't do that game for a while though - I'm a little Final Fantasy'd out for the time being as far as reviews go.

No interest in the Dead Space remake?

Very excited to see that KOTOR is being remade, well very looking forward to that as long as they do it justice. 

Oh sometimes all you see when looking at criticism of a game is the shock and disappointment from people regarding the trophy tiles. It's a bit random really. Sure I appreciate nice looking images and clever worded trophy names but it's not going to take away that enjoyment of a game if it isn't there....

I'll be honest I had fogotten the Dead Space remake was happening...... So yeah I guess I'm excited for that too - although not as excited as I am for KOTOR - I'm looking forward to wandering around the sandy bits of Tatooine hacking up Tusken Raiders like Anakin would if Obi Wan had grounded him.

That's strange that people would make a huge criticism of a game because of what it's trophy tiles look like - as you said they don't remotely change how the game plays, so what's the point in that. Some people really do like exercising their right to complain huh......

I try my best but I inevitably come across some information and then you can't unsee it. Sometimes in the most random places.

The Rocky films can go in the massive film backlog me and the wife have lol (Think she has watched some of them) though Rocky IV is a musical? Consider me perplexed

I'm far too cautious around stuff like that - so I tend to just avoid any information altogether, so I end up just being completely oblivious about whatever it is as a result.

I'll let you discover what Rocky IV is when you watch it - but a musical seems the most apt way to describe it.

I guess I'd better post Rise of the Tomb Raider's review as well, before I forget to.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 1

Good write up on Rise!  I played this last spring on Steam, and the amount of DLC achievements was overwhelming to me, and the Co-Op mode was a serious non-starter for me.  I'll do that on PSN for the trophies, but not worth the effort for me on other platforms.

I did find the actual Tomb Raiding very fun, and as you noted a great improvement over the first game's implementation.  Eventually I'll check out the last game!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rjkclarke said:

Classic Review

Platinum #171

Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4)

La495b1.png

brilliant review mate - see what I mean... if I can't at least attempt to compete with this, then I'm not putting anything on my page at all ?

I'm a big fan of Rise - I think overall it is my favourite of the modern trilogy - there's just something about the individual areas that I just really found to be a lot more memorable than the other two games. I've played Shadow more recently, yet certain areas of Rise still stick in my mind, and I think I would know my way around immediately, in a way I wouldn't with Shadow. Might be as much to do with me enjoying the snowy setting, I guess!.

That's actually an interesting thing that the modern Tomb Raider trilogy does that is kinda unique - the very specific, cohesive settings. If you think about other games like it - say, the Uncharted games, there is a broad 'snowy' theme to the second one, a broad 'desert' theme to the third, but really, aside from the first being totally on the island, they are still quite globe-trotting games - in the same way the older Tomb Raider games were. They give the player variety, by changing 'biomes' throughout the game. 

These ones though, with each game being set in one, very cohesive, completely distinct environment 'type' for each separate game, it's pretty unusual. The second you see even a screenshot of each game, you know which one it is by the environment alone. I couldn't really think of any other games that do that.

It takes some balls - avoiding paying lip-service to 'level-based variety' and stick to narrative cohesion - and it's risky, given that it opens the game up to accusations of being 'one-note' or a little repetitive artistically, but I think it really pays off here. They don't have the environmental variety to fall back on, so they really have to work doubly hard to add variety in terms of raw level design - but they manage it - and it means they not only avoid the downsides, but get to have a really specific flavour to each entry.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who also really liked the score attack and the Endurance DLC too - I feel like every time anyone mentions those on this site, it's to rag on them, but I had a lot of fun with them!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

Good write up on Rise!  I played this last spring on Steam, and the amount of DLC achievements was overwhelming to me, and the Co-Op mode was a serious non-starter for me.  I'll do that on PSN for the trophies, but not worth the effort for me on other platforms.

I did find the actual Tomb Raiding very fun, and as you noted a great improvement over the first game's implementation.  Eventually I'll check out the last game!

Thanks man!

I worried I wasn't thorough enough in the DLC but it's a bit much to write something very in depth about each of them, so glad to hear you and Doc enjoyed the write up.

Definitely don't be put off by the Co-Op mode, it's definitely way more enjoyable than you'd expect it to be going into it. It can be such a fun experience if you let it.

I hope you enjoy the last game - I'm very fond of that one..... Or to be more precise I'm very fond of the story in that one, I think some of the areas tend to feel a little too gated and disconnected compared to what they do in the first title and Rise. It's still of a very high quality though. So I hope you have a lot of fun with it when you get to it.

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

brilliant review mate - see what I mean... if I can't at least attempt to compete with this, then I'm not putting anything on my page at all 1f609.png

Thanks mate! I do really appreciate that  - although it's your constant stream of such high quality content that is one of the huge factors in making me really put more effort in, in trying to make these enjoyable for people to read.

I'm sure you'll get back in the groove in no time... I know how long writing these takes me, and I don't have to contend with ranking them either. I guess this comes under us talking shop a bit about writing, but do you find that when you have to add bonus games to the rankings that it somewhat throws your rhythm off? I found recently when I did the two Harry Potter games that coming back to Tomb Raider was - not necessarily a struggle, but it was hard to get straight back into that groove and talk about something so wildly different. I probably should have got those Tomb Raider ones out first, but I didn't want to rush them and I still don't with Shadow. That's probably just me though.  Once I've written the actual review part I can sort of cut and run so to speak, so it must be a little bit of an extra battle for you when you've also got to figure out where they go on your rankings.

I'm a big fan of Rise - I think overall it is my favourite of the modern trilogy - there's just something about the individual areas that I just really found to be a lot more memorable than the other two games. I've played Shadow more recently, yet certain areas of Rise still stick in my mind, and I think I would know my way around immediately, in a way I wouldn't with Shadow. Might be as much to do with me enjoying the snowy setting, I guess!.

That's interesting - for the record I like Rise very much too, there's very fine margins for my preference for each game in this trilogy - I guess that's a testament to its quality.

It's very probably a bit of recency bias for me when it comes to why I think I probably like Shadow the most. It's the one I've played most recently, yet also the one that has the most standout moments for me as a NARRATIVE at least - I put that in caps, because I think Shadow is weaker than Rise in almost every other area, but some parts of that have just stayed with me, for such a long time.

That scene with Lara in the oil fields in Shadow is absolute dynamite, and really that one thing is what slightly pushes it higher for me personally - it's the culmination of a lot of hard work and pretty decent character writing that I think went into this version of Lara, sometimes things like that just don't quite come off the way I think they were desired to, whereas there, it's so well realised.  Anyone that would remotely question Camilla Luddington's performance as Lara as being bad (as one of my friends often does) after seeing those scenes following those moments, should probably just find the PC version of the original  play a Nude Raider mod and have themselves a hand party, because this just might not be their thing.

That's actually an interesting thing that the modern Tomb Raider trilogy does that is kinda unique - the very specific, cohesive settings. If you think about other games like it - say, the Uncharted games, there is a broad 'snowy' theme to the second one, a broad 'desert' theme to the third, but really, aside from the first being totally on the island, they are still quite globe-trotting games - in the same way the older Tomb Raider games were. They give the player variety, by changing 'biomes' throughout the game. 

That's very true! I think that's something that works exceedingly well  in pretty much each game in the modern Tomb Raider trilogy, except not quite as strongly with Shadow - for as much as I like that game, and obviously I do - there are elements of the areas you visit that feel quite meandering and even claustrophobic at times - particularly in the hidden city (ironically, I also feel that really adds to the atmosphere, so perhaps I'm making an Everest sized problem for myself out of a relatively small mole hill). It's something that you yourself alluded to further down in your post that doesn't quite work so well in it, as the areas themselves don't have quite so much narrative cohesion - at least not in my mind at least. It doesn't appear to flow quite as naturally as it did previously, or at the very least doesn't compliment it in the same way.

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

These ones though, with each game being set in one, very cohesive, completely distinct environment 'type' for each separate game, it's pretty unusual. The second you see even a screenshot of each game, you know which one it is by the environment alone. I couldn't really think of any other games that do that.

It takes some balls - avoiding paying lip-service to 'level-based variety' and stick to narrative cohesion - and it's risky, given that it opens the game up to accusations of being 'one-note' or a little repetitive artistically, but I think it really pays off here. They don't have the environmental variety to fall back on, so they really have to work doubly hard to add variety in terms of raw level design - but they manage it - and it means they not only avoid the downsides, but get to have a really specific flavour to each entry.

I'm probably about to massively contradict what I previously said - but that's a great point man, it really is - what they lack in environmental variety they really did double down in level design. Especially in the first two. Each area in those first two titles feels so distinctly like it's just a natural extension of the same place, which seems obvious, but things like that really help with immersion I find. I didn't talk about it enough in that review of Rise, because I want people to experience it for themselves if they ever play it - but I think that is this trilogies peak of level design, everything just flows naturally together, and you could imagine that each distinct location could be geographically linked with the next. The geothermal valley is tremendous, it's a feat of impressive game design that's on a similar level to what they did with Peru all the way back in Tomb Raider anniversary, it just flows together in such a satisfactory way.

That's where Shadow fails a bit (I'm sure ragging on it a lot considering how much I like it huh? Although I did try and explain why I primarily like it ?) there's almost too many locations - and they don't all flow together in quite the same way. As if you couldn't tell I've got quite mixed feelings about that one,

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Glad to see I'm not the only one who also really liked the score attack and the Endurance DLC too - I feel like every time anyone mentions those on this site, it's to rag on them, but I had a lot of fun with them!

I think you and I seem to like backing the underdog more often than not anyway - but I couldn't figure out why people didn't really get on with either of those things... Score attack was really fun for me, I found it such a satisfying experience playing through all those areas again, and noticing what little adjustment you could make to get a slightly faster time, or corners you cut with avoiding enemies. It's actually quite the testament to Rise' quality I'd say, the fact you and I both enjoyed score attack.

Regarding Endurance - do you think it's just people didn't like the change in gameplay? Or  just the mechanical difference sort of thing - DLC is absolutely the place to experiment with things like that. It can lead to some really amazing avenues that you'd never think a game would go down. That's why I'd probably put Resident Evil 7's DLC pretty high atop the tree as far as high quality DLC's go, it has so much variation on the normal gameplay, that takes the concepts in such interesting directions. Those are things that are absolutely worth paying money for. They feel like a worthy edition, instead of some cut content that should have been there to begin with.

I'll be interested to see where we both sit regarding Shadow once I've gotten to writing about that one soon - I'm curious to see if my opinion changes on it once I give it a bit of a revisit, I definitely think I appreciated Rise a little more as a result of going back over it, even more so after reading through your post.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Thanks for the much needed and probably annoying at this point pep talk 1f602.png

Never that!?

Scarface was actually pretty good - I never finished it, but I played quite a lot of it. I remember getting hackedoff because I lost most of my in game money in a failed drug deal and I didn't want to play the game much after that, because I had to rebuild all of my fortune.  I don't know that making it a direct sequel to the film was necessarily the best idea. It made sense to set it within the events of the movie, but nope it's set after the film... Go figure.

I was never fully sold on that concept, as much as I enjoyed the movie. Then when I heard that HP or power up units or whatever were referred to as "balls," I tuned out?

Yes!! Go write that post on your checklist, why the hell not, like you said, your thread your rules. I'm planning to do some games without trophies at some point myself.

I'd sure as hell like to read in some more depth what you thought of that Godfather game. I'd really like to read that, I'm sure plenty of other people would too.

Thank you! I think I will. I really enjoyed that game, as silly, campy, and derivative as it was?

Lucky monsters!

Agreed, she was quite the hottie. I remember being blown away by the incredible cinematics, admiring the technical achievement, soaking in the beginnings of the story, then she popped up and I suddenly remembered I was a teenage boy!

I doubt GTAIV probably liked having to go bowling though..... You'd think it'd be absolutely sick of it, because of y'know...............  ROMAN

I don't know why he gets so much hate though, he asked me to " go see girls " far more than he ever asked me to go bowling.

The one I got most was "Cousin... let's get DRUNK together!!"

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I hope there is, that Noel image needs to happen.

I like Snow as well - I wasn't aware that he wasn't popular? Shame, there's much worse characters in XIII to rag on before going for Snow........ Y'know like Hope

I like Troy Baker too - even if he does seem to have the ambition of looking as close to the human equivelant of a 99 Ice Cream without the flake as humanly possible.

I hope it isn't a whole forum pages length, that'd be crazy - I'll give myself carpel tunnel syndrome at that rate, if I did something like that. I won't do that game for a while though - I'm a little Final Fantasy'd out for the time being as far as reviews go.

HAHA!

I think some people think Snow is too OTT, but yeah lots through negativity at Vanille and Hope. My wife liked Vanille and I never had a problem with her personally. Hope was a bit whiney but in the end he grew which was important for his character development.

I have certainly never heard anyone describe Troy Baker in that way lol

Yeah I figured you would be. You are working through the new Tomb Raider trilogy and other games nicely.

I'll be honest I had fogotten the Dead Space remake was happening...... So yeah I guess I'm excited for that too - although not as excited as I am for KOTOR - I'm looking forward to wandering around the sandy bits of Tatooine hacking up Tusken Raiders like Anakin would if Obi Wan had grounded him.

That's strange that people would make a huge criticism of a game because of what it's trophy tiles look like - as you said they don't remotely change how the game plays, so what's the point in that. Some people really do like exercising their right to complain huh......

I can understand with Dead Space remake it'll be intriguing how it goes about considering the people who used to work with EA on the Dead Space franchise, now are making that game which is their new version of a Dead Space (It's called something like the Calabro Incident? Man I've forgot lol)

KOTOR remake excitement is definitely very high from me. Probably not the game I am the absolutely most excited for, but it's very much up there.

O yeah certainly, but that is the world at the moment sadly...

I'm far too cautious around stuff like that - so I tend to just avoid any information altogether, so I end up just being completely oblivious about whatever it is as a result.

I'll let you discover what Rocky IV is when you watch it - but a musical seems the most apt way to describe it.

I guess I'd better post Rise of the Tomb Raider's review as well, before I forget to.

Well it certainly has worked for you!

Definitely intrigued. Whenever I get around to watching it, I'll let you know. Maybe by the end of the decade lol

As I said earlier, you're doing great with the reviews :)

• Like 1

Awesome review! I think it's a necessity for a game to have a distinct visual theme, something that really makes it pop to either it's predecessors or other games of the genre. Alongside the ton of added content, it definitely seems as though it's the type of game to really get invested in!

On 24/09/2021 at 2:23 AM, rjkclarke said:

It’s surprising how much fun the co-operative side of Endurance can be – at least it can be if you allow it to be. Don’t go into this with the negative mindset that you are going for some hard trophies just treat it as two people having a good time.

This is definitely the best mindset to have for co-op trophies. Stuff can be hard, but ultimately it's about having fun with another person and you'll eventually have it done! Reminds me heavily of the Still Alive trophy from Portal 2 where you need to do an entire course without either partner dying. When I played it on the 360, doing the co-op was one of my best memories with it. Unfortunate that the 100% is unobtainable on the PS3 version!

• Like 1

As always - almost too much quality content for me to keep up with in here dude. The writing for your Tomb Raider reviews is consistently awesome. Looking forward to Shadow! Always look forwards to a big cup of coffee and having a good read through here. I wish I had a bit more to say regarding Tomb Raider but not having played through these new iterations, I'm just enjoying reading about your experiences with them! Keep up the great work mate!

• Like 1

Hey congratulations on finishing Final Fantasy IX man. I don't know if I noticed everything you've done but your list is really impressive. Last time we were talking about Kingdom Hearts but yeah your rpg's are nothing to sneeze at. Okage which I LOVED, and you've done both Symphonia games on PS3 which is also a goal of mine now that I started doing PS3 titles. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

Hey congratulations on finishing Final Fantasy IX man. I don't know if I noticed everything you've done but your list is really impressive. Last time we were talking about Kingdom Hearts but yeah your rpg's are nothing to sneeze at. Okage which I LOVED, and you've done both Symphonia games on PS3 which is also a goal of mine now that I started doing PS3 titles. 

Thank you! Thanks for stopping by again! I think you're going to love Final Fantasy IX yourself - I know you're very fond of  the soundtrack, so when you see how well that's implemented in the game it's going have an even deeper impression on you. I'll erm, shut up about Final Fantasy IX now, it'd be too easy to wax lyrical about it, which is why my review of it was so ridiculously long. But I hope you have an absolute blast whenever you play it, be sure to let me know how you're getting on with it, because I'd love to hear about it.

I definitely have got a big love for RPG's, be they Western or JRPG ones - I need to experiment a bit with the genre too I think, because there's games like the Banner Saga that I've been recommended regularly by plenty of people who seem to think I'd love it, so I need to give them a go at some point. I'm always up for trying out new things.

I'd probably have more RPG's on here, but I'm fighting against that constant thing we all are, which is free time, I just don't have enough of it, or not as much as I'd like. I still plan to try and get all the available Star Oceans done at some point, it'll be fun chronicling the trip that takes me on, but the time sink is probably the thing that's holding me back the most, I don't really deal well with juggling multiple games at once.

I'm always up for a Kingdom Hearts discussion - I was so glad you posted that story that you did about it, I'd never question anyone's love for any game franchise, but if people can't understand why that series is so special to you after reading that, then that's a THEM problem, not a you problem.

You've got a hell of a profile yourself too ( that's an understatement really). Which with your ultra high standards is only going to look higher and higher quality as a result. I'm planning to play Bastion next; which I see you've done too - after I've gotten through the torture that Agents of Mayhem is currently bringing me. Nice to see you've gotten Dark Cloud 2 done as well. I haven't played that one yet,  despite really loving the first one, I'm looking forward to it and I have no reasonable excuse for why I've not started it yet either.

Tales of Symphonia is my favourite entry in that series ( I mean probably it'd be in  my top 10 favourite games ever too) - despite it's very outdated and archaic gameplay - it's one of the greatest video game stories I've ever played, with a raft of characters that just get under your skin in such a positive way. Are you planning to put any Tales of' titles on your profile at any point in the future? I think you might have a good time with them.

I'm glad someone else is a huge fan of Okage - I probably waited a good fifteen years to play that, as it never released here in the UK but what a fantastic game that is, the wait was worth it, it didn't disappoint. It's brimming with so much charm.  I'm really looking forward to playing Rogue Galaxy as well, that's another one that I didn't quite get around to playing in the PS2 era.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

You've got a hell of a profile yourself too ( that's an understatement really). Which with your ultra high standards is only going to look higher and higher quality as a result. I'm planning to play Bastion next; which I see you've done too - after I've gotten through the torture that Agents of Mayhem is currently bringing me. Nice to see you've gotten Dark Cloud 2 done as well. I haven't played that one yet,  despite really loving the first one, I'm looking forward to it and I have no reasonable excuse for why I've not started it yet either.

Tales of Symphonia is my favourite entry in that series ( I mean probably it'd be in  my top 10 favourite games ever too) - despite it's very outdated and archaic gameplay - it's one of the greatest video game stories I've ever played, with a raft of characters that just get under your skin in such a positive way. Are you planning to put any Tales of' titles on your profile at any point in the future? I think you might have a good time with them.

I'm glad someone else is a huge fan of Okage - I probably waited a good fifteen years to play that, as it never released here in the UK but what a fantastic game that is, the wait was worth it, it didn't disappoint. It's brimming with so much charm.  I'm really looking forward to playing Rogue Galaxy as well, that's another one that I didn't quite get around to playing in the PS2 era.

Dark Cloud 2 is one of the finest gaming experiences I've ever had. It is a clear example of how good a game can really be and what more devs should strive to achieve. Music is godly, I love the gameplay, the story is phenomenal, the voice acting is perfect, the whole game is just a timeless masterpiece. Level-5 on the PS2 was untouchable. Dark Cloud 2's plat is actually the stuff of nightmares though. Not everyone who's done it agrees with that but for me, it was a waking nightmare. I'm not trying to scare you off, because if the game wasn't as good as it is, there's no way the plat would be worth it; but it is that good, and so the plat is worth it. Just be ready for some shit. 

Yes, I am planning on putting Tales games on my account. My first Vita game to go on this account will probably be Tales of Hearts R. I intend to do both Symphonia games, Berseria, and an assortment of other ones which I can't think of off the top of my head lol. But that is a series I have a desire to heavily invest in moving forward. 

Rogue Galaxy was a better game in my opinion than Dark Cloud 2. It's crazy, I had never played it until I got the plat as my 49th on this account, but without hesitation I make what I see as a bold claim which is that yeah, Rogue Galaxy is better than Dark Cloud 2. I won't say that it replaces the significance that Dark Cloud 2 has for me, nor that Dark Cloud 2 is in any way diminished because of this, especially since they're both Level-5 games, but I was more blown away by Rogue Galaxy than I could have ever envisioned. It feels like Level-5 wanted to make a statement that they were leaving the PS2 with one of the best games the console had ever seen, cementing it as the best console in history which is where the PS2 remains to this day. Dark Cloud 2 is a perfect game, somehow it turns out that Rogue Galaxy is a perfecter game.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 9:34 PM, rjkclarke said:

I know Vanille gets a lot of hate - which I don't understand either - my favourite moment from Final Fantasy XIII involves Vanille, the bit where her and Sazh fall out, in that resort place - I think the build up and the pay off to that moment were really well done.

That Snow criticism people have is weird - he has like the inverse character arc of almost every other Final Fantasy character - he starts off with ideas about being the hero, and that's desperately wants to be, but everything that happens to and around him, ends up knocking him down and effecting his psyche so much, that by the time Lightning Returns rolls around he's so far removed from what he started as that he's almost at that point where characters are ready to " become the hero" in their respective Final Fantasy game. It's certainly an interesting take they decided to go with.

I think a lot of people i.e. critics didn't like her voice, which never bothered me. Vanille is critical to the story and for me, a likeable character. Got one of those Play Arts Kai figures of her and Snow.

Yeah you are absolutely correct about Snow. It is certainly an interesting reverse of the typical story for such a character and to be fair, having the trilogy of games let them have the time to explore that properly.

I think Troy Baker is awesome as a voice actor - but are you seriously telling me this guy - isn't trying really hard to look like an ice cream... To be fair people would probably tell me I look like a hippie, so maybe being a human ice cream is the better choice anyway.

Haha well hey it's working for him and each to their own. ?

Now that I've opened up the possibility of people requesting reviews, I guess if people were feeling really sadistic they could request a Final Fantasy game, y'know just to torture me haha.

Ooooo, now there's a thought.............haha

That's interesting, I'll have to look that up later - I guess that will be quite strange then if the people that originally worked on Dead Space aren't actually onboard for the remake. It'll be interesting to see how much changes in the remake as a result of that, then.

No they made their own company after EA screwed them over (Go figure). Can't remember the name of the game for the life of me though haha

Absolute caution has definitely worked so far with avoiding spoilers that's for sure.... I still think I would have enjoyed something like Final Fantasy IX even if I had known spoilers, but it was nice to experience it completely fresh.

Thanks for the kind words by the way about my long arse reviews haha!

Yes I know you would have done, sometimes it doesn't matter too much as you can get a lot from your own experience and journey with a game even if you've been spoiled on something. 

Anytime man, wouldn't say it if it wasn't true.

• Like 1

On 28/09/2021 at 7:22 PM, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

Dark Cloud 2 is one of the finest gaming experiences I've ever had. It is a clear example of how good a game can really be and what more devs should strive to achieve. Music is godly, I love the gameplay, the story is phenomenal, the voice acting is perfect, the whole game is just a timeless masterpiece. Level-5 on the PS2 was untouchable. Dark Cloud 2's plat is actually the stuff of nightmares though. Not everyone who's done it agrees with that but for me, it was a waking nightmare. I'm not trying to scare you off, because if the game wasn't as good as it is, there's no way the plat would be worth it; but it is that good, and so the plat is worth it. Just be ready for some shit. 

That is some very high praise of both Dark Cloud 2 and Rogue Galaxy - so it sounds like I'm in for an absolute treat once I get to those!

You don't have to worry about scaring me off because of a harder or objectively not very good trophy list. I don't ever judge a games quality by it's trophy list, if I did there'd be a bunch of really excellent games I'd judge unfairly. in which I'd be a little too blinkered to heap praise on, despite being incredible games. I worry people get a little hung up on the trophies at times, I know, stupid thing to say on a trophy tracking site, but I'm glad you seem to be in a similar boat, where you can appreciate the games quality despite it having some terrible trophies tied to it. That might be your experience with Final Fantasy IX as well.

On 28/09/2021 at 7:22 PM, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

Yes, I am planning on putting Tales games on my account. My first Vita game to go on this account will probably be Tales of Hearts R. I intend to do both Symphonia games, Berseria, and an assortment of other ones which I can't think of off the top of my head lol. But that is a series I have a desire to heavily invest in moving forward. 

Take this with a pinch of salt - because I haven't played Hearts R, on account of not having a Vita, but I'd heard that wasn't exactly the strongest entry in the Tales of' series. I'm going to assume it wouldn't be your first one? If it was, I'd be worried you'd never want to go back and play any others. I've heard people compare that to a soap opera in the past.

I'd start with the two Symphonia games, mainly because the first one has such archaic gameplay, that if you play it after playing some of the more recent titles, it'll feel incredibly outdated and you might struggle to get into it. Which is a shame as it's my personal favourite Tales of' title. It's all up to you of course, you've gotta play whatever you want in whatever order you want.

You probably already know, but Berseria is a prequel to Zestiria so you might want to play Zestiria first, although you're going to have a different reaction to certain things whichever order you tackle those two games - either order will give you a unique perspective on the other.

8 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

I think a lot of people i.e. critics didn't like her voice, which never bothered me. Vanille is critical to the story and for me, a likeable character. Got one of those Play Arts Kai figures of her and Snow.

Yeah you are absolutely correct about Snow. It is certainly an interesting reverse of the typical story for such a character and to be fair, having the trilogy of games let them have the time to explore that properly.

Wow - that's even more surprising. I thought her voice was fine.

I'm in 100% agreement with you on that one. She's very important.

Isn't that a little bit harsh on Australian people for the critics to complain about her voice - only voice worth complaining about in that trilogy is Mog's from the next game, that is a voice I could do without having to hear say Kupo in about a thousand different sassy ways haha

No they made their own company after EA screwed them over (Go figure). Can't remember the name of the game for the life of me though haha

That company really don't do a whole lot to make themselves popular do they. When will they ever learn.

I'll look up what the team turned into later on, because I'm quite curious about what the new game those people are working on is.

Yes I know you would have done, sometimes it doesn't matter too much as you can get a lot from your own experience and journey with a game even if you've been spoiled on something. 

That is a very good point!

I mean I had a huge thing from Metal Gear Solid 4's ending spoiled for me, but that didn't stop me enjoying the ride getting to that point, because what I'd found out actually turned out to fairly inoccuous anyway and doesn't really impact on the game as a whole, so knowing about it as you said didn't really detract from the experience all that much. Would have just been an even bigger ?... Haha

Guess I'd better go post up my Shadow of the Tomb Raider review - it's going to be a long one, so apologies in advance everyone!

Great write up as usual mate - nice to see someone else who didn't decide, because Deadly Obsession difficulty wasn't a walk in the park, to shit all over the whole game as their electronic revenge!

This:

8 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I would say a fair criticism to level at this recent Tomb Raider trilogy, is the fact that after three iterations not a whole lot of improvements are made regarding gameplay. I’ve heard the words stale and unoriginal thrown around on occasion too. Both of those descriptions seem a little harsh – whilst not a whole lot changes on the surface from a gameplay perspective, that doesn’t mean there aren’t any – or that Crystal Dynamics themselves didn’t want to implement them.

I spoke at length in the last two reviews about my personal frustration with the immersion breaking chalky white ledges - the ones that might as well have served as a sign post saying “please go here.” The thing about those is that Crystal Dynamics wanted to get rid of them too – yet were very fearful that if they did remove them, then newer players would feel very lost and wouldn’t react positively to the game as a result. The crafting system for example is a vast improvement, as even outfits themselves can give you bonuses in combat, instead of just serving an aesthetic purpose.

Those improvements do exist though – they just aren’t particularly apparent. People don’t level the same criticism at Uncharted do they, that on the surface the four main games don’t change all that much on a mechanical level across all three games. I don’t think there’s all that much difference between the gun play and platforming in Uncharted between the first and the fourth game. That’s not a dig at those games, but it’s worth mentioning, when the same people that often criticise these recent Tomb Raider entries wouldn’t be quick to do the same for the Uncharted series that people often hold to such a lofty standard. Both respective series implemented improvements gradually over each title.

I think is well stated, and could warrant an entire topic on the subject.

I never quite understand what the difference is, where some iterative franchise games get praised for "not messing with the formula", while others get "meh, this does nothing new".

I swear, when a game is well received, and people finish it wanting more, then a sequel comes out giving them exactly that, it feels like the internet just gets out a coin from its pocket with "YAY" written on one side, and "FUCK YOU" on the other, then flips it to decide how they will collectively react ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Great write up as usual mate - nice to see someone else who didn't decide, because Deadly Obsession difficulty wasn't a walk in the park, to shit all over the whole game as their electronic revenge!

Thanks man! Much appreciated as ever.

I find it really frustrating when people do that - in fact I ended up editing out a huge bunch of that section, because it probably read as if I was attacking the people that take a big dump on games, just because of one specific trophy, or use the trophy list as some measuring stick for the games quality. It's pretty redundant ultimately.

I think in a way your review of Through the Darkest of Times almost perfectly illustrates that, your enjoyment of it was diminished a little because of repeat playthroughs - but that didn't mean for a second that you lost sight of the quality aspects the game does have to offer.

5 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I think is well stated, and could warrant an entire topic on the subject.

I never quite understand what the difference is, where some iterative franchise games get praised for "not messing with the formula", while others get "meh, this does nothing new".

I swear, when a game is well received, and people finish it wanting more, then a sequel comes out giving them exactly that, it feels like the internet just gets out a coin from its pocket with "YAY" written on one side, and "FUCK YOU" on the other, then flips it to decide how they will collectively react 1f602.png

Something tells me - that there are far too many people who just have a double sided coin with the latter written on it, who aren't going to be truly happy whatever they get. I mean - I can be apprehensive about sequels myself on occasion, as you know but I always keep an open mind.

You're right though.... What do people actually want? Do they want the game to be a fuzzy comfort blanket just like the last game - because they enjoyed it so much, and the idea of change frightens them. Or is it to encourage them  to innovate new ideas, and explore interesting new avenues that you'd never have expected the sequels to go into? I know I'm guilty of the former when it came to NieR -I came round to Automata eventually, obviously, but initially I wanted it to be more in line with the original. That's one of the things I appreciated about Beholder and Beholder 2, there's such a huge leap in between those two games, and they took a commendably big risk in its sequel, yet still kept the games core principals the same.

it's a fairly interesting talking point for sure, one I considered cutting out, just in case people got the wrong end of the stick and thought I was taking a shot at Uncharted, tempting as I might find that ?

Those sorts of topics always descend into mayhem on here though don't they, I've read plenty of topics all over this forum (not specifically this subforum obviously,) where a perfectly measured and reasonable discussion starts and then descends into utter mayhem...

Eurgh why did I say Mayhem, that just reminds me of that,absolute puddle of dog excrement of a game I need to get through - it's becoming my version of what Space Overlords did for you I think.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

Hello, stranger! Can't be away for long periods of time, you and @DrBloodmoney alone have me with so much great material to catch up on!!

Dude. I absolutely adore the passion with which you've been tackling Tomb Raider as a franchise, to the point where I'm kinda like the hell with trophies, I just wanna get in on this action!

...WAIT WHAT DO YOU MEAN THE GAMES AREN'T CARBON COPIES????

I don't think most gamers understand the courage it requires to tinker with a successful franchise, particularly one with a towering cultural presence like Tomb Raider.

To (heavily) paraphrase Jay-Z - we're on the new shit, if you got a problem with that and you want the old shit, then go buy the old shit!

• Like 2

On 26/09/2021 at 9:34 PM, rjkclarke said:

I am in a desperate need of a little vent I think - and my own thread seems as good a place as any to do that... Well - before I really get into this, my goodness did my good will towards Agents of Mayhem evaporate quickly. It's one of those games that are one of the most frustrating examples of wasted potential. I said months ago when I was playing Vampyr, that, that would probably be the most negative review I'll write all year, I think I surpassed that anyway, when I played WWE 2KBattlegrounds - I'm thinking there is a possibility this surpasses even that. As some of you will know - negativity doesn't exactly come easy to me, but my goodness is this game testing my patience, and I have a lot of that. It's genuinely the first time in a long time  where I considered just shelving the game completely and leaving it unfinished - the fact I joined the Winter Backlog event means that I won't though,so I'll plug on through. Bloodlust in Final Fantasy IX was bad, but at least I had an awesome ending, and a whole other playthrough left to enjoy. The trophies in this are not even the problem, it's that the game itself is just so barren and shallow(I stick by what I said in my first impressions post, nothing wrong with a bit of dumb mindless fun, but the key word is FUN and this isn't it), that I'm really struggling to muster the will to play on.

I haven't put a post here in awhile although I see some fantastic reviews here that will be a good read. I didn't know if you needed anyone for this game for one of the trophies as if you do I don't mind starting it, however you might be almost done with the game. I'm looking forward to this review a lot.

• Like 2

Fantastic review as usual, boss.

I’ve played both Tomb Raider 2013 and Rise on another platform and really enjoyed both (except for some odd view bobbing in 2013 that made me mega motion sick.). I have Shadow on my “do want” list now!

That’s the curse and blessing of these checklists - the backlog and interest grows and grows with every review I read.  If only I did have a job and you know, life commitments ?

Consider yourself nominated for a Monkey Island review!  Pick any of them!

• Like 2

On 30/09/2021 at 7:37 AM, rjkclarke said:

An idea that often works much better in video game form, as unlike in film and television you aren’t reliant on an actor’s previous appearance for continuity purposes. Due to the nature of video games however, that isn’t something you have to ever worry about – yet I think it’s interesting nonetheless, that hypothetically you could make a sequel to – I don’t know, Tales of Monkey Island, and set it minutes after the conclusion of the last, and not have to worry about how much older Guybrush looks since his last appearance. I wouldn’t mind seeing a wrinkly old Guybrush at some point though; it’d be an interesting new dimension, a bit like Christopher Lloyds version of Graham in the latest Kings Quest.

A performance like Luddington’s here are difficult to achieve at the best of times – but to really free herself and put so much raw emotion into her performance, whilst also wearing a motion capture suit and camera rig attached to her is truly commendable, as most actors would find that such a difficult task. Granted she gets far superior material to work with than Keeley Hawes does in her trilogy and yes as Keeley Hawes is my favourite actress, this does frustrate me terribly. I’ve mentioned many times, over the past two write ups about how, you might not like this version of Lara (I know plenty of people who both do and don’t), but by the end you’ll definitely understand her. That was deliberate, I was always planning to follow through on my statement – this version of Lara is incredibly complex, and often quite unlikeable, but the whole way through the trilogy it was building up to this one moment. I believe she gives her best performance to date in Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

I've always found this to be a bizarre yet amazing thing about acting in video games; in fiction, you can have an idea or concept, and no matter who it's made by, it can be considered the same thing. Sometimes this can be done like the many iterations of Spider-Man, or perhaps even the concept of the same exact character receiving a new voice actor; the material is different, yet it's in a way the same. Even through motion capture especially, you're truly "becoming" the character in the most literal sense. Usually in live action, you portray a character as normal, but when it comes to a character having a defined model in a game, motion capture is also just putting the raw emotion of acting as a basis for the 3D character model's skeleton. While cash-grabbing movies today puts the actor at the forefront, games put the performance of the character on the forefront.

Similarly, this concept of prioritizing status over talent also applies to animated films; whilst games have actors portray characters with motion capture/voice acting as a basis, animated films with celebrity cameos make the celebrity the focus. Take the new upcoming Mario film for instance, with Chris Pratt as Mario. Why not have Charles Martinet who's been voicing Mario forever? Because Chris Pratt, in the context of the Mario movie IS the face of Mario, not Mario himself. In this medium, the actor is no longer just a tool to showcase a character, it's vice-versa: it's now a character used to showcase the actor. This doesn't make it bad necessarily, but it's an interesting switch that I find quite absent in video games, you don't see Chris Pratt acting as Kratos for instance! ?

In the Tomb Raider games, especially with motion capture: the actor is the skeleton, and a basis for Lara.
In the Mario movie? The actor is the basis, and the character is the skeleton; it's a complete switch.

The day that video games start prioritizing having actors play characters purely for their celebrity status is the day games will lose a lot of integrity. I think Detroit: Become Human handled this very well by casting Clancy Brown as Hank for his talent, not his status. He was a perfect fit for the role.

And with this said, it's great that the Tomb Raider games have integrity too! And that brings to highlight this line right here:

this version of Lara is incredibly complex, and often quite unlikeable, but the whole way through the trilogy it was building up to this one moment. I believe she gives her best performance to date in Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

The people behind this game went and made a version of Lara who may not have been likable at times, but it led to something. It took a meaningful risk to supply a meaningful part. When writing a character, you could take the easy route and slap on a hotshot actor and get attention, but the makers of this game willingly decided to do something different with an actor who gave it their all. That's something I respect.
That being said, making something controversial for the sake of controversy doesn't always work either, but in this case, they did it with "Lara" in mind, with the actor serving as the skeleton for Lara, not vice versa like with Mario.

So I applaud the people who made this game given your praise of Lara! That means the performance was done well.

Good stuff man, I look forward to the next!

• Like 2

You folks really know how to put a smile on someone's face.... Especially after a fairly joyless rainy afternoon spent finding pointless shards in Agents of Mayhem.... Still that's done now at least.

21 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Hello, stranger! Can't be away for long periods of time, you and @DrBloodmoney alone have me with so much great material to catch up on!!

Dude. I absolutely adore the passion with which you've been tackling Tomb Raider as a franchise, to the point where I'm kinda like the hell with trophies, I just wanna get in on this action!

...WAIT WHAT DO YOU MEAN THE GAMES AREN'T CARBON COPIES????

I don't think most gamers understand the courage it requires to tinker with a successful franchise, particularly one with a towering cultural presence like Tomb Raider.

To (heavily) paraphrase Jay-Z - we're on the new shit, if you got a problem with that and you want the old shit, then go buy the old shit!

Didn't you say in the Backlog thread you were off on vacation/holiday this week? Or am I just remembering that wrong - I hope you had a great time whatever you've been up to!

Thank you - I appreciate that, Doc's had a much more productive output than I have the last week, very impressive - Agents of Mayhem really is the Buzz Killington of video games, I had to really get myself motivated to write about Tomb Raider, and I'm very fond of them as you can tell. Agents of Mayhem, is just so freaking draining.

I'm a little disappointed I've run out of Tomb Raider titles to talk about for the time being, yet I've had such a great time revisiting them, so I'm really glad you enjoyed the reads - but hey, there's other awesome game series and franchises to discuss - so every cloud has a silver lining  and all that?

You're totally on the money with that, about it taking a hell of a lot of courage to tinker around with a successful franchise, it's a real risk that they took when doing that. It'd be like turning Metal Gear Solid into a crafting and survival game...... Oh wait, that did happen - screw Metal Gear Survive..... Okay it would be like turning Hitman into a point - and - click adventure title, full disclosure, I'd still play that.

I think unfortunately, the new Tomb Raider trilogy sits in Uncharted's shadow somewhat - quite unfairly too, it'd be easy for someone to see the similarities from a distance, but they really are very different.

8 hours ago, Destructor-8 said:

I haven't put a post here in awhile although I see some fantastic reviews here that will be a good read. I didn't know if you needed anyone for this game for one of the trophies as if you do I don't mind starting it, however you might be almost done with the game. I'm looking forward to this review a lot.

I can only hope you enjoy them if you give them a read. Good to see you're still bossing plenty of racers at the moment!

Nah you're pretty good on Agents of Mayhems front - you only need an Online connection, the only people you have to rely on are people to do the contracts alongside you, otherwise you'll be grinding a lot by yourself.  So you can start it whenever you like.... Or erm - don't. :facepalm:

That trophy seems incredibly finicky too, I feel like it should have unlocked for me by now, but it hasn't it's literally the only trophy that I'm missing. I feel like I've done way more than 15 - but who knows. You can only do 3 a day as well, so it's five days minimum for the platinum.

It's not going to be a positive review of Agents of Mayhem, I can say that much - in fact I'll be mentioning how I think that game is the perfect indictment of why reviewers should play all of a game, instead of just bits of one. My first impressions are almost the complete opposite now haha ?

8 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

Fantastic review as usual, boss.

I’ve played both Tomb Raider 2013 and Rise on another platform and really enjoyed both (except for some odd view bobbing in 2013 that made me mega motion sick.). I have Shadow on my “do want” list now!

That’s the curse and blessing of these checklists - the backlog and interest grows and grows with every review I read.  If only I did have a job and you know, life commitments 1f602.png

Consider yourself nominated for a Monkey Island review!  Pick any of them!

Thanks man!

That's great to hear that Shadow is on your do want list now - sorry to hear about the original giving you motion sickness. All it gave me was, thisgameismakingmesabotagemylovelife-itis haha! ?..

Do you get motion sick a lot? I don't usually myself, but there's a select few games that have made me really motion sick in the past, like Warframe and the Lite-Gun Resident Evil games on PS3.... It's not what you want at all when it comes to games is it.

That's the irony of these checklists isn't it - sometimes they're meant to serve a purpose of decreasing your backlog, yet mine seems to keep growing from all the awesome games everyone has been playing....

You're 100% right, blessing and a curse - lets repurpose the Sam Raimi Spiderman line of "This is my gift, this is my curse.... Who am I? I'M BACKLOG-MAN"

Are you sure you're okay with me doing a Monkey Island - I feel like I've cheated my own system there..... If you'd rather I did something else, I'm perfectly happy to do that. Otherwise, I guess I'd add a Monkey Island to the list.

7 hours ago, Shrooba said:

Even through motion capture especially, you're truly "becoming" the character in the most literal sense. Usually in live action, you portray a character as normal, but when it comes to a character having a defined model in a game, motion capture is also just putting the raw emotion of acting as a basis for the 3D character model's skeleton. While cash-grabbing movies today puts the actor at the forefront, games put the performance of the character on the forefront.

That's a great point you make actually - sometimes I wish it was done a little more extensively than it is... I believe in Yakuza, Takaya Kuroda, only does the facial motion capture for Kiryu, which I wish I didn't know, because the guy who Mo-caps Kiryu's body has one of the most distinctive walks I've ever seen - yet I know that walk doesn't come from the same person providing the voice, so it's a bit of an odd one that.

Brilliant point there you made about actors not being the thing to sell video games... Whereas with film,  it's an altogether different thing... People have their favourites and will watch who they like - the producers know this too. Often times, it's simply because they find a specific actor/actress attractive, although try doing that after reading anything Laura Mulvey has ever written, but the fact does remain the same, people will watch something with someone they like in, and like you said they'll be more inclined to play a video game with a character they like in it...... I literally fell into the former  today, I watched a show called Mrs Wilson (which was pretty decent actually) - primarily,because I knew Keeley Hawes was in it, and I hadn't seen it before, so using actors that people like definitely does work.

on this:

Take the new upcoming Mario film for instance, with Chris Pratt as Mario. Why not have Charles Martinet who's been voicing Mario forever? Because Chris Pratt, in the context of the Mario movie IS the face of Mario, not Mario himself. In this medium, the actor is no longer just a tool to showcase a character, it's vice-versa: it's now a character used to showcase the actor. This doesn't make it bad necessarily, but it's an interesting switch that I find quite absent in video games, you don't see Chris Pratt acting as Kratos for instance!

I agree  with this, and I'm glad it's something you brought up.... Charles Martinet should play Mario, yet he won't because he isn't going to bring droves of fans of Chris Pratts other work in to see the film. The irony is, that's who Mario fans would want to play Mario, yet when it comes to a big budget blockbuster release, which I assume this'll be, the existing fans aren't actually even the target audience, it's really odd right?

It's a shame too, I think Chris Pratt will probably do a decent job...... I never understood why Camilla Luddington couldn't have played Lara in the actual Tomb Raider film that was released a few years back - I mean, Lara has her face, it's her likeness, and she can act (so very well).... I know she's a little older than Lara was at that point. I guess it was a risk to cast someone, who'd primarily done Television at that point, so they went with a proven Academy Award Winner - that was easier to market, but Luddington knew and loved the character. Obviously it's all just what ifs at this point.

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Chris Pratt do Kratos as Johnny Karate from Parks and Recreation.... That would crack me up SOOOO much.

The day that video games start prioritizing having actors play characters purely for their celebrity status is the day games will lose a lot of integrity. I think Detroit: Become Human handled this very well by casting Clancy Brown as Hank for his talent, not his status. He was a perfect fit for the role.

Interesting you bring that up actually - because I always thought Quantic Dream, almost did a little bit of "stunt casting" when it came to Beyond Two Souls..... I'm sure plenty of people purchased that game,who hadn't played a Quantic Dream title before, because of the celeb factor of having Willem Dafoe and Elliot Page as the lead characters... I think the intention was to really solidify David Cage's idea (in his own head)  that he's a "real film-maker" because he used real actors. So in that regard, it's interesting that they course corrected for the next game and used Clancy Brown for his talent, as opposed to who he is... Let's fact it, almost every project is elevated by having him be a part of it.

The people behind this game went and made a version of Lara who may not have been likable at times, but it led to something. It took a meaningful risk to supply a meaningful part. When writing a character, you could take the easy route and slap on a hotshot actor and get attention, but the makers of this game willingly decided to do something different with an actor who gave it their all. That's something I respect.
That being said, making something controversial for the sake of controversy doesn't always work either, but in this case, they did it with "Lara" in mind, with the actor serving as the skeleton for Lara, not vice versa like with Mario.

So I applaud the people who made this game given your praise of Lara! That means the performance was done well.

Precisely - that's the thing I appreciate the most, is the fact they followed through on it all, it would have been easy for them to course correct, and listen to peoples negative feedback about her, but they had a plan... They kept the faith - and we got what I think is one of the best, if not most underappreciated  character arcs for a video game character in recent years, and an incredibly interesting reimagining of a tired and stale character to boot... So I think Crystal Dynamics deserve the praise I've been heaping on them ?

Oh and by the way Shrooba - I hope you don't mind, but I haven't strictly read all of your Miles Morales review yet... As you can tell by my avoiding Final Fantasy IX spoilers for twenty years I'm a bit of a stickler for that - but I have no doubt it'll be a hell of a great read,on account of the awesome feedback and you being an awesome writer. I've bookmarked it though, so that'd the first thing I do when I've played through the story of Miles Morales will be to give that a read... So it's something to look forward to. I appreciate all the effort you put  into writing it, so I just want you to know that I will definitely look forward to discussing it with you in future.

I look forward to the next!

Shouldn't have to wait too long.. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes tonight. Although that will be a fairly short-ish one to be fair.

Whilst we're clinging onto the embers of Tomb Raider for a little bit longer...

Look what I found @DrBloodmoney......

Keeley came back as Lara - just this year too... Even if it is in a terrible mobile title!

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Whilst we're clinging onto the embers of Tomb Raider for a little bit longer...

Look what I found @DrBloodmoney......

Keeley came back as Lara - just this year too... Even if it is in a terrible mobile title!

Me:

“hey, I’m not snobby about mobile games, and this makes the cutscenes at least look pretty nice…

I’ll look up some gameplay… 

this could be okay... I like to be optimistic!”

*watches gameplay trailer*

”oh… so that’s what the death of optimism feels like…” ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Didn't you say in the Backlog thread you were off on vacation/holiday this week? Or am I just remembering that wrong - I hope you had a great time whatever you've been up to!

I did! The wife and I travel a lot, but the world being what it is nowadays, it had been two years since we'd so much as seen an airport - a very long time for us. Thank you, we had a blast, and we desperately needed it! We're both quite recharged now, I'm happy to say?

18 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Thank you - I appreciate that, Doc's had a much more productive output than I have the last week, very impressive - Agents of Mayhem really is the Buzz Killington of video games, I had to really get myself motivated to write about Tomb Raider, and I'm very fond of them as you can tell. Agents of Mayhem, is just so freaking draining.

I'm a little disappointed I've run out of Tomb Raider titles to talk about for the time being, yet I've had such a great time revisiting them, so I'm really glad you enjoyed the reads - but hey, there's other awesome game series and franchises to discuss - so every cloud has a silver lining  and all that?

You're totally on the money with that, about it taking a hell of a lot of courage to tinker around with a successful franchise, it's a real risk that they took when doing that. It'd be like turning Metal Gear Solid into a crafting and survival game...... Oh wait, that did happen - screw Metal Gear Survive..... Okay it would be like turning Hitman into a point - and - click adventure title, full disclosure, I'd still play that.

Yo, I would happily jump on a point-and-click Hitman title! It would definitely avoid the genre's pitfall of linearity - if each mission didn't have at least six different endings, we would riot!

Well, a nerd-riot, so we wouldn't be able to push over cars or blow up stuff. But the online comments we leave would be utterly blistering!!

Note to self: look into Hitman Go...

25 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

You're 100% right, blessing and a curse - lets repurpose the Sam Raimi Spiderman line of "This is my gift, this is my curse.... Who am I? I'M BACKLOG-MAN

"Bro, the town is a mess and criminals are running rampant! Where the hell is Backlog Man?"

"Oh, he's holed up in the Backlog Cave. Apparently he started reading psn profile checklists."

"....God help us all."

31 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

That's a great point you make actually - sometimes I wish it was done a little more extensively than it is... I believe in Yakuza Takaya Kuroda, only does the facial motion capture for Kiryu, which I wish I didn't know, because the guy who Mo-caps Kiryu's body has one of the most distinctive walks I've ever seen - yet I know that walk doesn't come from the same person providing the voice, so it's a bit of an odd one that.

I assumed they got an actual former Yakuza to do the body work - from what I've been told, in Japan you can spot a Yakuza from a mile away, with one of the dead giveaways being mannerisms.

2 hours ago, Shrooba said:

I've always found this to be a bizarre yet amazing thing about acting in video games; in fiction, you can have an idea or concept, and no matter who it's made by, it can be considered the same thing. Sometimes this can be done like the many iterations of Spider-Man, or perhaps even the concept of the same exact character receiving a new voice actor; the material is different, yet it's in a way the same. Even through motion capture especially, you're truly "becoming" the character in the most literal sense. Usually in live action, you portray a character as normal, but when it comes to a character having a defined model in a game, motion capture is also just putting the raw emotion of acting as a basis for the 3D character model's skeleton. While cash-grabbing movies today puts the actor at the forefront, games put the performance of the character on the forefront.

Similarly, this concept of prioritizing status over talent also applies to animated films; whilst games have actors portray characters with motion capture/voice acting as a basis, animated films with celebrity cameos make the celebrity the focus. Take the new upcoming Mario film for instance, with Chris Pratt as Mario. Why not have Charles Martinet who's been voicing Mario forever? Because Chris Pratt, in the context of the Mario movie IS the face of Mario, not Mario himself. In this medium, the actor is no longer just a tool to showcase a character, it's vice-versa: it's now a character used to showcase the actor. This doesn't make it bad necessarily, but it's an interesting switch that I find quite absent in video games, you don't see Chris Pratt acting as Kratos for instance! 1f605.png

In the Tomb Raider games, especially with motion capture: the actor is the skeleton, and a basis for Lara.
In the Mario movie? The actor is the basis, and the character is the skeleton; it's a complete switch.

And with this said, it's great that the Tomb Raider games have integrity too! And that brings to highlight this line right here:

HOO! Snaps all day?

I feel like Rockstar caught themselves before they got too out of hand with celebrity voice actors, after San Andreas this aspect all but disappeared, and it seemed that they became aware of the dangers of feeding into this and contributing to a fad that might be to gaming's detriment.

Again, big up to casting Clancy Brown in that role, although if David Cage's first choice was Channing Tatum or something like that I wouldn't be surprised?

39 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Shouldn't have to wait too long.. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes tonight. Although that will be a fairly short-ish one to be fair.

WOOHOO!!

• Like 2