rjkclarke's Carnival of Diamonds and Rust

rjkclarke

19 minutes ago, Shrooba said:

I've seen that you've been playing AC:VD recently. It looks pretty tough, but you'll get through it! Playing something like that and pushing through your limits is something I respect!
The hardest trophies are almost always the ones you look back on more fondly, like KH3's Risk-taker trophy! 1f600.png
When it's done, you've got a damn good completion on your hands. It seems like a tricky game, but you'll get it mate, keep going! Take my strength!

Thank you Shrooba :` ^   )

genki-dama-spirit-bomb.gif

• Like 3

On 04/10/2021 at 2:47 PM, Shrooba said:

The MGS series is quite iconic for sure; I'm pretty sure there's a reference to it hidden in Astro's Playroom, the playable tech demo for the PS5. Games in the series like Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance has a killer OST, so I must ask; what are your thoughts on Ground Zeroes' OST?

I assumed they'd probably have fitted an MGS reference into Astro's Playroom, that'll be good to see when I eventually get a PS5

Revengeance does have a killer soundtrack, it's probably the thing most people remember about that game from what I can see - I'm well aware how popular that game is - I just don't think I'll ever play it, I think the place it falls into the series chronologically completely undermines a really important amount of character development from Metal Gear Solid 4.

I guess I probably didn't really go into the soundtrack of Ground Zeroes all that much did I - I think it's pretty decent, it's just fairly limited - I guess because it's a fairly small scale game. I don't think it's the greatest or most standout Metal Gear Solid soundtrack, it's actually quite different to some of the others.

Kojima is definitely a great director in my eyes; he's a man who takes risks and has a vision for sure

He'd be thrilled to hear that - because Kojima thinks he's a great director too ?

Me personally, I'm not so convinced - there might be a small part of me that's put off by how he seems to be as a person - I think the way he's treated someone like David Hayter as disposable, seems a little harsh to be honest.

He's certainly capable of doing plenty of interesting things - I just think he's one of those creatives that need someone to filter out the nonsense and tell him no on occasion. I think he wrote and directed his best when he worked with Tomokazu Fukushima, there's a wildly different tonal shift in all the games post Metal Gear Solid 3 - which I put down to essentially being Kojima going solo, whether that's good or not, is up to the individual you ask I suppose.

It's crazy that he developed a game like Death Stranding in his first work as an independent studio! I'm tempted to get the game at some point, but it's got a horrific grind apparently! ? Maybe I'll play it at one day, seeing as a director's cut was recently released.

I've heard pretty good things about Death Stranding myself - but I'm still pretty much on the fence about it - despite being a fairly big Metal Gear fan, I'm far less of a Kojima fan. He's got some phenomenally interesting ideas on occasion, but when those get lost amongst some complete nonsense, that take itself far too seriously at times - I tend to want to tune out. I will definitely give Death Stranding a go at some point, it can't be any worse than Agents of Mayhem right?

Which reminds me.

And as for Agents of Mayhem, while I'm not too well versed in the Saints Row series, the note you made about liking cel-shaded aesthetics in games made me instantly think of the Borderlands series; needless to say, I took another gander at your profile to see if you've played the games, and you've done 1, 2, and the Pre-Sequel and Tales, nice! Do you reckon you'll do Borderlands 3 at one point? It's a pretty good game IMO-- the Circles of Slaughter can be a bit tough solo, but the game's a lot of fun overall. I'm on the complete opposite end, I've yet to do Borderlands 1! ?

I'm definitely going to play Borderlands 3 at some point - I never bought it on PS4 because I was almost certain it would come out for PS5...

....I really like  the Borderlands games so it's a matter of not having a PS5 more than anything - I'm glad to hear you think pretty highly of Borderlands 3. It looks like it's got a huge amount of quality of life improvements over the previous entries.

Actually - you might have a fairly unique perspective on this, but what did you think of the Pre-Sequel, what with you being from Australia and all? Especially with the fact they essentially treat Pandora's Moon as Australia 2.0

You might find Borderlands 1 a little tough to go back to - even if you played the PS4 version that has all the improvements like a mini map. It's pretty good though, so I hope you like it....It's got some cracking DLC that first Borderlands game. Aside from The Moxxi Underdome - that can fit itself into an envelope and post itself to the sun - because that makes reading 1000 words about someone's favourite carpet samples seem like an interesting prospect.

As an unrelated side note, I just realized you've also done GT6, that's awesome man! I've been considering doing GT6 for ages and dusting off the PS3, but apparently downloading the updates is an absolutely loathsome experience. If I ever get to it, I'll probably do the Senna DLC first since that's the trickiest thing. I know it was such a long time ago since you completed it in 2015, but what were your thoughts on getting all gold on the Senna stuff?

Thanks @Shrooba - although I kind of missed the boat on doing GT5 so I don't think I could do that now even if I wanted to.

I can speak for downloading the updates being a terrible experience - it takes a long time, and unlike the PS4 you can't go and do something else on the PS3 whilst they're installing. Aside from that though the game was great. Even if your internet is fairly fast, I think the PS3 caps it anyway, so it'll still be a bit slower than it should be.

Well I played Ground Zeroes in 2015 and I feel like I did a half decent job of remembering that. That Senna DLC is great  I actually spoke with @Destructor-8 about it not too long ago, so I've thought about it fairly recently thanks to that.

I thought the Senna DLC was excellent - especially when you consider it's free. It's got some well produced video packages about Senna too, so it's fairly informative if you aren't a racing buff (which I'm not)... I found it pretty difficult - it took me a couple of days to really get those gold times down, although none of that time felt frustrating. If anything it felt like an important learning process - funnily enough, I still haven't learned to drive yet, which is something I'm going to have to remedy soon, but to really have a manageable time with the Senna DLC I had to use the first person view camera, and also use manual gears, so learning how they worked was a very interesting experience - as I'd never used those before in racing titles. I think you'll probably have a decent time with it I think. Give your PS3 some love!

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Me personally, I'm not so convinced - there might be a small part of me that's put off by how he seems to be as a person - I think the way he's treated someone like David Hayter as disposable, seems a little harsh to be honest.

He's certainly capable of doing plenty of interesting things - I just think he's one of those creatives that need someone to filter out the nonsense and tell him no on occasion. I think he wrote and directed his best when he worked with Tomokazu Fukushima, there's a wildly different tonal shift in all the games post Metal Gear Solid 3 - which I put down to essentially being Kojima going solo, whether that's good or not, is up to the individual you ask I suppose.

Well shit, I had never heard about the whole thing with David! ? That definitely puts things a bit more in perspective for me, I actually didn't know about that. I was certain that because he voiced Snake in Smash Bros Ultimate he'd still be the main actor, but I guess not. Thanks for letting me know about that, I had no idea.
When it comes to Kojima's work, I think he's akin to Nomura with the Kingdom Hearts series; great ideas and a free writing spirit, but maybe that spirit might be TOO free. ?

16 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Actually - you might have a fairly unique perspective on this, but what did you think of the Pre-Sequel, what with you being from Australia and all? Especially with the fact they essentially treat Pandora's Moon as Australia 2.0

You might find Borderlands 1 a little tough to go back to - even if you played the PS4 version that has all the improvements like a mini map. It's pretty good though, so I hope you like it....It's got some cracking DLC that first Borderlands game. Aside from The Moxxi Underdome - that can fit itself into an envelope and post itself to the sun - because that makes, reading 1000 words about someone's favourite carpet samples seem like an interesting prospect.

Yeah, it's pretty funny seeing such a high Aussie emphasis on the Pre-Sequel! ? When 2K Australia were developing it, I guess they wanted it to shine. On the note of having a perspective as an Aussie, the first thing I thought about was Davis Pickle, with his Aussie accent and all; I actually decided to look up his voice actor, and it happens to be an actress from England, which is something I find pretty cool!
The beauty of voice acting is that it isn't bound by the limitations of factoring physical appearance like with live action. I can't speak for everyone, but I think it's a beautiful thing that people from other cultures and races want to play the roles of Australian characters.
Sure, Pickle's voice can be exaggerated, but imitation is the sincerest form of flattery IMO. I think the actress is really cool for playing someone like Pickle, and as an Aussie I approve.
As for the way he's actually written though (with his dialogue), I'll definitely need to refresh myself on the writing since the last time I played the Pre-Sequel was quite a while ago.
One thing I do remember, however, is that the Pre-Sequel really made me not like Lilith as much, she wasn't written to be very likable at all, and it makes my perception of her as a whole less positive. ?

I won't go in-depth since you haven't played it yet, but I think 3's story also suffers in areas, but it's for the most part good if you're a fan-- The gameplay is where 3 truly shines! Definitely an awesome game with some genuinely funny moments.

17 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I thought the Senna DLC was excellent - especially when you consider it's free. It's got some well produced video packages about Senna too, so it's fairly informative if you aren't a racing buff (which I'm not)... I found it pretty difficult - it took me a couple of days to really get those gold times down, although none of that time felt frustrating. If anything it felt like an important learning process - funnily enough, I still haven't learned to drive yet, which is something I'm going to have to remedy soon, but to really have a manageable time with the Senna DLC I had to use the first person view camera, and also use manual gears, so learning how they worked was a very interesting experience - as I'd never used those before in racing titles. I think you'll probably have a decent time with it I think. Give your PS3 some love!

Good luck if you learn to drive IRL man! Do you reckon you'll drive automatic or manual? With automatic, you don't have to worry about gear changes; when you're driving you pretty much work with just Drive, Reverse and Park instead of gears. ☺️

If I do GT6, I'll definitely switch to manual for the Senna DLC too-- automatic can restrict your exit speed since it automatically changes gears on turns. Good times in races all come down to those turns. The thing that worries me is needing to turn down traction control! ? The vehicles Senna used are quite prone to spinning out if you go full throttle, and low traction will be the time killer for me. Great job with 100%ing GT6 man!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shrooba said:

Well shit, I had never heard about the whole thing with David! 1f605.png That definitely puts things a bit more in perspective for me, I actually didn't know about that. I was certain that because he voiced Snake in Smash Bros Ultimate he'd still be the main actor, but I guess not. Thanks for letting me know about that, I had no idea.

Yeah it's pretty bad isn't it- Kojima decided - after wanting to for so long, that he'd get a "real" actor, so that's why we got Kiefer Sutherland as Snake in both MGSV titles. I assume Kojima had no say in the Smash Bros thing. David Hayter loves that role and I think he'd practically do it in any form if he was asked to. So to treat someone both passionate and so capable so atrociously, and just discard him like a spare part has sort of soured my view on him a lot.

As I gave another naff answer about the Soundtrack for Ground Zeroes - here is my favourite piece of music from it. I'm very fond of Peace Walker so it resonated with me quite a bit.

When it comes to Kojima's work, I think he's akin to Nomura with the Kingdom Hearts series; great ideas and a free writing spirit, but maybe that spirit might be TOO free. 1f605.png

This is pretty accurate I'd say - wish someone had given Nomura a little nudge and said - mate..... Did we really need time travel?

On the note of having a perspective as an Aussie, the first thing I thought about was Davis Pickle, with his Aussie accent and all; I actually decided to look up his voice actor, and it happens to be an actress from England, which is something I find pretty cool!
The beauty of voice acting is that it isn't bound by the limitations of factoring physical appearance like with live action. I can't speak for everyone, but I think it's a beautiful thing that people from other cultures and races want to play the roles of Australian characters.

That's a good perspective to have - I didn't know Pickle was voiced by an English actress, although I did assume at least it was probably a woman - he is one of the characters people tend to single out in that game as being an annoyance. Shame really.

Janey Springs seems to be the one everyone gives the hardest time - but I always quite liked her - she gets quite a bit of focus in Tales from the Borderlands as well.

One thing I do remember, however, is that the Pre-Sequel really made me not like Lilith as much, she wasn't written to be very likable at all, and it makes my perception of her as a whole less positive. 1f605.png

You're not the only one - I don't know if it's the case of - we're essentially playing the bad guys in that game, that we deliberately aren't supposed to like her? Or it's that the developers wanted us to be aware that in a universe filled with dickheads she is just a guilty of being one as any of the other characters.

But I certainly agree on that one - she certainly isn't painted in the best light - but hey, if we're playing Borderlands solely for the story - we're almost certainly doing it wrong aren't we? :facepalm:

I look forward to the third when I can eventually get around to playing it. Shame about the bajillion season passes though.

Good luck if you learn to drive IRL man! Do you reckon you'll drive automatic or manual? With automatic, you don't have to worry about gear changes; when you're driving you pretty much work with just Drive, Reverse and Park instead of gears.

Thanks! I think I'll probably learn manual - even though that's going to become pretty redundant soon as I assume more and more hybrid and electric cars will be manual by default going forward. It's a decent starting point right - then I always have the option of doing either. Drive - reverse - park, does seem a lot more appealing though as it's much less to actually have to think about.

'll definitely switch to manual for the Senna DLC too-- automatic can restrict your exit speed since it automatically changes gears on turns. Good times in races all come down to those turns. The thing that worries me is needing to turn down traction control! 1f605.png The vehicles Senna used are quite prone to spinning out if you go full throttle, and low traction will be the time killer for me. Great job with 100%ing GT6 man!

It's one of those really satisfying experiences when you finally get that last gold time nailed down. Might take you a little less time to get it than me,  as I'm not exactly the most proficient at racers. Sometimes they just click,and other times they don't. DriveClub clicked pretty much instantly with me and I never had too much trouble with that one. But others I just end up driving into walls or going off track all the time ?.... Or in the case of Gravel needing to turn the volume down because the narrator sounded like a massive dork! That reminds me, I picked up Burnout Paradise Remastered recently, so I probably ought to get my race on at some point soon.

You'll be fine I'm sure - if I can do it, then you definitely can. There's a track in Star Wars: Racer Revenge that I think gave me a little more of a problem than one of the Senna ones did funnily enough - but it might be the fact I played that last year that that's sticking in my mind a bit.

I spun out loads on those Senna tracks for those very reasons - so that's very astute of you ?...... Well, and unfortunate for me haha ?

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

On 10/2/2021 at 6:47 PM, rjkclarke said:

What Ground Zeroes does perfectly, is give you all the necessary tools to jump right into Phantom Pain. By exploring all of the Extra Ops, you’ll have all of the necessary tools to start the next game running. This is why I put so much emphasis on praising, Camp Omega as a sandbox area, it’s such a perfect example of a well disguised tutorial section, that unlike most, actually feels fun to explore and experiment with.

I remember thinking this when I started with the side ops - initially disappointed that they all took place on the same map, but quickly realizing how well played this was. Definitely outdid the Hitman tutorials at least?

Couldn't agree more about Kiefer Sutherland! Like most (I imagine), I was like "huh?? I don't recall us all deciding that we were too good for David Hayter all of a sudden" but then it didn't take long for me to see that he's actually a pretty good fit. You worded it perfectly, theres a humanity to his performance that kinda pulls you into the real world a bit. The controls were very inviting and it was fun from the jump, although I must admit to being a bit disheartened to hear that this was a significant step up. I never played 4 or Peace Walker so I'm now wondering what the controls were like before - they are great, but nothing revelatory for the time like in the franchise's heyday. Also hearing that you preferred this over Phantom Pain... I'm a bit scared of your review for that now!

On 10/2/2021 at 6:47 PM, rjkclarke said:

Which is fine, we’re dealing with a world of nano-machines and one hundred year old Snipers powered by photosynthesis and a man who fire Bees as projectiles, so who needs realism right?

Maybe Kojima fell asleep while watching the Simpsons, and Mr Burns' dogs that bark out bees inspired him?

On 10/3/2021 at 1:40 PM, rjkclarke said:

A Rusty, Dusty, Unrefined New Platinum

Platinum #330

Agents of Mayhem (PS4)

L1fadc1.png

1L49b82f.png

To paraphrase the good Doctor, oof.

You've made brief mention of how unpleasant this game could be, it's oddly nice to see in full detail as to why. What somehow makes the review feel all the more unintentionally scathing is that you're making such genuine attempts to think of nice things to say!

"The gameplay itself didn't give me fibromyalgia so there's a plus I guess."

I didn't get into the Saints Row games, never appealed to me (bizarrely, given my GTA fandom), and to hear that this is basically the nadir of that concept is all I need to hear to stay away.

The humor sounds awful too. I'm all for dick and fart jokes, but at the lowest common denominator level they're pretty needless. And I share your dislike of ethnic "hah, they talk different!" jokes. Even in the 90s, that's shtick was on its way out - and rightfully so!

Oddly, this review makes me want to bump Sleeping Dogs up the queue all the more!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Destructor-8 said:

Wow nice huge congrats! I can only imagine what that is like!

Thankee, it was one of the most exciting trophy hunting moments I've had to date between both accounts

@CelestialRequiem I'll get Last Raven PSP downloaded on my Vita straight away : )))))))

Edited by Deadly_Ha_Ha
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

Thankee, it was one of the most exciting trophy hunting moments I've had to date between both accounts

Oh yeah, I'm sure it was. I'm thinking of getting it & maybe do it with Vanquish as I like certain games together. I'm wondering if I should get the original Vanquish as I've seen people take longer on that one, so I don't want to do the easier one although it seems not many people seem to know what is the easier one. I'm glad you got that done though, really impressive game to have done.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Destructor-8 said:

Oh yeah, I'm sure it was. I'm thinking of getting it & maybe do it with Vanquish as I like certain games together. I'm wondering if I should get the original Vanquish as I've seen people take longer on that one, so I don't want to do the easier one although it seems not many people seem to know what is the easier one. I'm glad you got that done though, really impressive game to have done.

Vanquish? The PS4 version is harder. 

You take more damage in 60fps and they (largely) eliminated the infinite EMP grenade glitch. 

EDIT: If it means anything, @Destructor-8 -- Vanquish is my favourite game ever made; and I have the fastest time to plat on PS3. I like to think I'm decently knowledgeable in that game. 

Edited by CelestialRequiem
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

Vanquish? The PS4 version is harder. 

You take more damage in 60fps and they (largely) eliminated the infinite EMP grenade glitch. 

Oh nice, so I won't get the original then. I wondered as I didn't want to do whichever was the easier one so was going to do both in case lol. I think it would be a good game to do around the same time so hopefully I get to it soon as I've heard it's pretty good. 

Edited by Destructor-8

46 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

It's crazy because CelestialRequiem claimz to be an expert in Vanquish and Transformers Devastation but I don't think he's ever even played those games before lol#getreal

Well, by technically, I have played those games "not once". 

45 minutes ago, Destructor-8 said:

Oh nice, so I won't get the original then. I wondered as I didn't want to do whichever was the easier one so was going to do both in case lol. I think it would be a good game to do around the same time so hopefully I get to it soon as I've heard it's pretty good. 

Enjoy. That's one of the most fun games you can play. 

• Like 1

On 04/10/2021 at 4:39 PM, rjkclarke said:

Thanks @Shrooba - although I kind of missed the boat on doing GT5 so I don't think I could do that now even if I wanted to.

I can speak for downloading the updated being a terrible experience - it takes a long time, and unlike the PS4 you can't go and do something else on the PS3 whilst they're installing. Aside from that though the game was great. Even if your internet is fairly fast, I think the PS3 caps it anyway, so it'll still be a bit slower than it should be.

Well I played Ground Zeroes in 2015 and I feel like I did a half decent job of remembering that. That Senna DLC is great  I actually spoke with @Destructor-8 about it not too long ago, so I've thought about it fairly recently thanks to that.

I forgot to respond to a few of these in this thread yesterday. Yeah, we did chat about this very recently.

18 hours ago, Shrooba said:

If I do GT6, I'll definitely switch to manual for the Senna DLC too-- automatic can restrict your exit speed since it automatically changes gears on turns. Good times in races all come down to those turns. The thing that worries me is needing to turn down traction control! 1f605.png The vehicles Senna used are quite prone to spinning out if you go full throttle, and low traction will be the time killer for me. Great job with 100%ing GT6 man!

I still have to respond to you in your thread as well. I'll definitely be going for it as well as I've heard different things about this so I want to have a go at this game too.

17 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

You'll be fine I'm sure - if I can do it, then you definitely can. There's a track in Star Wars: Racer Revenge that I think gave me a little more of a problem than one of the Senna ones did funnily enough - but it might be the fact I played that last year that that's sticking in my mind a bit.

I spun out loads on those Senna tracks for those very reasons - so that's very astute of you 1f605.png...... Well, and unfortunate for me haha 1f602.png

There's a few decent games you've mentioned you've done & some good ones still to do. Yeah I know which one you are on about as I've done it too, so I can imagine how it's going to be then.

41 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

Well, by technically, I have played those games "not once". 

Enjoy. That's one of the most fun games you can play. 

Yeah, I've heard it's a great game & something that I've thought about for quite awhile. It'll be a good one to have a go at.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

@rjkclarke @Shrooba @Destructor-8

Deadly_Ha_Ha.png

: )

We got there. Clean hardcore run start to finish

Excellent work mate! Looks like our spirit bomb did the trick! ? A job well done. 

1 hour ago, Destructor-8 said:

I’ll definitely be going for it as well as I've heard different things about this so I want to have a go at this game too

I look forward to that, man! I forgot to add it to my backlog until I saw @rjkclarke have it on his profile! It’s pretty cool how you 100%ed the game man, hopefully us two can join the club at some point too! ?

• Like 3

On 10/3/2021 at 9:30 PM, rjkclarke said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one - Mog makes me want to go out and buy earplugs as if it's an emergency.

So as we've been skirting around perceived unlikeable Final Fantasy characters, I'm not sure if I've ever asked you what your least favourite ones are?

Hey, we can't agree on everything lol that'd be too weird lol 

True we have been skirting around that particular subject area. I don't dislike any characters that are playable (Obviously you are not supposed to like the villains lol otherwise could throw obvious ones in like Kefka and Seymour) but there were some I just thought that didn't add too much to the story, or I just couldn't get on board with their personality or they just didn't grab me if you know what I mean at the time of playing through the respective game. Gau, Cait Sith, Amarant, and Quina would be the most notable ones but then we have discussed some of those. We have discussed others I didn't mind but others didn't like for more obvious reasons like Vaan and Hope.

Thanks! I'm going to have a look at that in a minute, that's a fairly intriguing name too, so that was quite a good pick by them I think.

Can I have my Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver remake now please.... Or Blood Omen - that'd make more sense as it's the first one. GIMMME TASTIES

Hopefully you like the look of it!

Haven't played Legacy of Kain for such a long time lol I remember being pretty into one of them on PS1, probably was Soul Reaver. Don't think I finished it though.

I find it more of a struggle with films - I've still never watched The Sixth Sense, because I already know what the twist is, so I've never really seen much point in actually watching it.

Haha same! I've never watched The Sixth Sense either. Sadly films being shorter and one massive twist like the one in that film being integral to the story, the impact is heightened and therefore being spoiled worse than a game I feel. Different experiences in general.

In other news, I've managed to go back to RE7 now that I finally finished my first playthrough of FFVII Remake! Also playing another game beginning with an R but less said about that game the better lol least it gives funny glitches/moments to put up on Youtube lol

Edited by The_Kopite
Updated information
  • Like 1

Congrats @Deadly_Ha_Ha...... We all knew you could do it, bet you're glad to get that one finished.... Pick yourself something nice and chilled out to play next so you don't end up bursting a blood vessel!

On 05/10/2021 at 9:35 PM, YaManSmevz said:

I remember thinking this when I started with the side ops - initially disappointed that they all took place on the same map, but quickly realizing how well played this was. Definitely outdid the Hitman tutorials at least1f604.png

Some of my punctuation in that bit you quoted tells me I need to proof read my reviews more haha.

I agree - they definitely outdid the Hitman tutorials, which I quite like too, I just don't like the fact that in Hitman1,2 and 3 they are still the same level - so it's a bit of a struggle to want to do those missions the same ways in three different games - even if I do think it's a pretty strong tutorial.

Camp Omega is just such a well designed self contained area, I couldn't help but really enjoy it.

Couldn't agree more about Kiefer Sutherland! Like most (I imagine), I was like "huh?? I don't recall us all deciding that we were too good for David Hayter all of a sudden" but then it didn't take long for me to see that he's actually a pretty good fit. You worded it perfectly, theres a humanity to his performance that kinda pulls you into the real world a bit. The controls were very inviting and it was fun from the jump, although I must admit to being a bit disheartened to hear that this was a significant step up. I never played 4 or Peace Walker so I'm now wondering what the controls were like before - they are great, but nothing revelatory for the time like in the franchise's heyday. Also hearing that you preferred this over Phantom Pain... I'm a bit scared of your review for that now!

If you also liked that humanity that Sutherland brings to the role - then you're absolutely going to dig quite a few parts of The Phantom Pain - can't wait to hear your thoughts on some of those man. They would not have worked as effectively with David Hayter in the role, to be perfectly honest.

I wasn't trying to knock the previous games gameplay per se - it's just Ground Zeroes was such a huge leap. For a PSP game Peace Walker is absolutely phenomenal with what it could achieve, it just feels like playing MGS3 but miniaturised (no bad thing)  and MGS4 is one of those games where it's more of an experience than a game. I'm not exaggerating, but the game is essentially 75% cutscenes and about 25% gameplay. They both feel like Metal Gear Solid of old though, which as you know, is fairly janky stealth mechanics. Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain just have slightly more fluid and satisfying movement compared to the others.

Perhaps it's a personal preference thing I don't know. Thing is - I don't think a remake of MGS1 would work so well on the FOX engine, however good it is  - that rigidity, and awkward stealth, the way you can flatten yourself onto walls like a gecko is one of the things I liked most about it. That's just me though - I'm an unusual fella when it comes to not minding perceived janky gameplay - I did enjoy getting the platinum in Risen 3 more than Uncharted 4 after all - so maybe someone should revoke my license to review games? :facepalm:

Which brings me on to you being scared for my Phantom Pain review - don't be - as I always try to be, I'll be fair and objective - there's a few reasons I prefer Ground Zeroes, which I'll elaborate more on in that review. It isn't a knock on Phantom Pain either I like that a lot too, but if we're taking objectivity out of the equation for a minute - then Peace Walker is my second favourite MGS title, second only to Snake Eater, so I like the fact that Ground Zeroes explored a few of its characters in greater depth and basically tied a nice ribbon onto Peace Walkers already great story. In a way I see Ground Zeroes as both the epilogue to Peace Walker and the Prologue to Phantom Pain, so that's part of why I have plenty of time for it.

You've made brief mention of how unpleasant this game could be, it's oddly nice to see in full detail as to why. What somehow makes the review feel all the more unintentionally scathing is that you're making such genuine attempts to think of nice things to say!

"The gameplay itself didn't give me fibromyalgia so there's a plus I guess."

Can I bill you for a new PC Monitor please? It's got splashes of coffee all over it now from how off guard that caught me.You have an absolute way with words my friend! That was hilarious.

It's not inaccurate either - I was genuinely trying to give the positives their time however much I didn't think they deserved it. Kind of vibe of "The trip to the zoo was nice - even if I did fall into the gorilla enclosure with blueberries in my pocket and have my arms ripped off " - that kinda deal ?

I can't actually think of the last game that genuinely infuriated me as much as Agents of Mayhem, so that was so cathartic to write that review - and I'm a very chilled out person usually that tries to see the best in things, but crikey - that game is about as welcome on my list as a bout of intestinal hurry in a stuck elevator filled with five people.

I think Doc said it best in one of his reviews - I've played it, so you don't have to. so I'm applying that same logic here.

I didn't get into the Saints Row games, never appealed to me (bizarrely, given my GTA fandom), and to hear that this is basically the nadir of that concept is all I need to hear to stay away.

The humor sounds awful too. I'm all for dick and fart jokes, but at the lowest common denominator level they're pretty needless. And I share your dislike of ethnic "hah, they talk different!" jokes. Even in the 90s, that's shtick was on its way out - and rightfully so!

Oddly, this review makes me want to bump Sleeping Dogs up the queue all the more!

The humour reminds me of something that you'd probably hear from a stand up comedian that had been gene spliced together from Tom Green and Dane Cooks DNA - I don't mind either of them in small doses (particularly small if its Dane Cook) but a whole games of worth of that humour - nah, no thanks.

I can't exactly say I'd recommend playing the Saints Row games at this point - especially as you could just play through the entire PS2 era trilogy on the PS4 and have infinitely more fun doing that.

Sleeping Dogs though? Absolutely - I genuinely find it baffling why that game has never gotten a sequel, apart from that pitched MMO Triad Wars that was meant to come out.

That game is great - it's almost the perfect hybrid of some of the best elements of GTA games and some of the best elements of the Yakuza series - some of those elements are simplified for sure, but out of 330 platinum trophies, it'd definitely rank incredibly high amongst some of the most enjoyable ones I've gotten - so yeah I'd definitely be in the +1 camp for you bumping it up your queue!

On 06/10/2021 at 7:20 AM, Shrooba said:

I look forward to that, man! I forgot to add it to my backlog until I saw @rjkclarke have it on his profile! It’s pretty cool how you 100%ed the game man, hopefully us two can join the club at some point too! 1f605.png

Thanks man! It doesn't really get the credit it deserves for being such a good DLC the Senna one - especially as it's free.

You'll be able to get it don't worry, then we can all sit happily in the 100% club - and I don't know, drink some Cigars and smoke some whiskey......... What is it Upper Class people do again? B)

On 06/10/2021 at 11:28 AM, The_Kopite said:

Hey, we can't agree on everything lol that'd be too weird lol 

True we have been skirting around that particular subject area. I don't dislike any characters that are playable (Obviously you are not supposed to like the villains lol otherwise could throw obvious ones in like Kefka and Seymour) but there were some I just thought that didn't add too much to the story, or I just couldn't get on board with their personality or they just didn't grab me if you know what I mean at the time of playing through the respective game. Gau, Cait Sith, Amarant, and Quina would be the most notable ones but then we have discussed some of those. We have discussed others I didn't mind but others didn't like for more obvious reasons like Vaan and Hope.

It would be weird if we agreed on everything  for sure.

How dare you say that about Quina ? - they'd be the perfect contestant for Come Dine With Me - " GOOD TASTIES - LOOK ZIDANE, I LEARN MUCH - AM GIVE 10 OF10."

I do know what you mean yeah - there is an element of characters more being redundant than unlikeable I guess, even for me, there aren't a whole lot of Final Fantasy characters (at least of the main party) I truly dislike.

I also had to look up who Gau was as I'd completely forgotten.

I'll give you a few of mine and see what you think - Cait Sith (obviously there's a much different C word I usually put in place of Cait, it's the only one this sit censors too ?,) Amarant, Sazh (he becomes so pointless after Final Fantasy XIII) Vincent Valentine, Paine and............................. NOEL "The Sex Pest " KREISS.

Hopefully you like the look of it!

Haven't played Legacy of Kain for such a long time lol I remember being pretty into one of them on PS1, probably was Soul Reaver. Don't think I finished it though.

I do like the look of it - it's got some wicked sound design in it too, from what little I heard in the trailer, and some of those visuals are atmospheric as anything - so consider me interested in that game now!

I'm assuming it's going to be on PS5? So until we snag a mythical beastie - we couldn't play it anyway.

It's been about 11 years since I last played through the Legacy of Kain series fully myself - those games just have such a rich lore that I got so interested in when I was younger - I just wanted to know everything about it. A little bit like the Summoner series on PS2 - they just really appealed to me when I played them for some reason. Despite their being plenty of better alternatives in Summoners case.

Haha same! I've never watched The Sixth Sense either. Sadly films being shorter and one massive twist like the one in that film being integral to the story, the impact is heightened and therefore being spoiled worse than a game I feel. Different experiences in general.

In other news, I've managed to go back to RE7 now that I finally finished my first playthrough of FFVII Remake! Also playing another game beginning with an R but less said about that game the better lol least it gives funny glitches/moments to put up on Youtube lol

Yeah - that's the problem isn't it. Once you hear murmurs about a twist - or anything like that - then have it spoiled for you, your brain pretty much conditions you to be like - well I don't have to watch that now then. If I already know what happens. That's when you employ my "LALALALALALALALALALA NOT LISTENING" method ?

Ooooooooooooooh nice that's awesome to hear you're back on RE7.... Whereabouts are you at in the game?

I actually started that on Halloween last year - I hope you have a great time with it - just don't expect too much from Ethan as a character, the actual game itself I think is pretty damn good.

Now I need to go write a review for Hue - which I'm sure some of you lovely folks will be pleased to know isn't actually going to be ridiculously long!

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

On 10/6/2021 at 2:40 PM, rjkclarke said:

Camp Omega is just such a well designed self contained area, I couldn't help but really enjoy it.

If you also liked that humanity that Sutherland brings to the role - then you're absolutely going to dig quite a few parts of The Phantom Pain - can't wait to hear your thoughts on some of those man. They would not have worked as effectively with David Hayter in the role, to be perfectly honest.

They really did squeeze everything they could out of the camp without making it feel like too much. In fact I remember marveling at what a versatile map it proved to be!

I'm sure I will - Sutherland was quite a pleasant surprise (which shouldn't have been the case, he's a famously talented actor after all!) and I'm still genuinely excited to play Phantom. I think the thing holding me back is the same thing with Red Dead 2, from a completionist standpoint it's just so intimidating!

Can I bill you for a new PC Monitor please? It's got splashes of coffee all over it now from how off guard that caught me.You have an absolute way with words my friend! That was hilarious.

It's not inaccurate either - I was genuinely trying to give the positives their time however much I didn't think they deserved it. Kind of vibe of "The trip to the zoo was nice - even if I did fall into the gorilla enclosure with blueberries in my pocket and have my arms ripped off " - that kinda deal ?

Stay on the line, my secretary will take your information?

I felt bad for you! You're really not a negative dude and I sensed you struggling to just be like "the shit store called, and they want their game back." It's a testament to your writing ability though that you were able to power through it and keep your attitude upbeat!

Sleeping Dogs though? Absolutely - I genuinely find it baffling why that game has never gotten a sequel, apart from that pitched MMO Triad Wars that was meant to come out.

That game is great - it's almost the perfect hybrid of some of the best elements of GTA games and some of the best elements of the Yakuza series - some of those elements are simplified for sure, but out of 330 platinum trophies, it'd definitely rank incredibly high amongst some of the most enjoyable ones I've gotten - so yeah I'd definitely be in the +1 camp for you bumping it up your queue!

Yeah dude, every time that game is mentioned I get more excited to play it. I need to put together what batch of games I wanna tackle once the games in the challenge are finished, that one will definitely be among them.

You'll be able to get it don't worry, then we can all sit happily in the 100% club - and I don't know, drink some Cigars and smoke some whiskey......... What is it Upper Class people do again? B)

It would be weird if we agreed on everything  for sure.

How dare you say that about Quina ? - they'd be the perfect contestant for Come Dine With Me - " GOOD TASTIES - LOOK ZIDANE, I LEARN MUCH - AM GIVE 10 OF10."

I love the idea of the 100% club bein a stereotypical social club where everybody's in velvet robes, puffin on pipes, and sayin shit like "indubitably!"

And man... if there was ONE FFIX character who deserved a voice...

On 10/6/2021 at 5:24 PM, rjkclarke said:

A Colourful New 100%

Hue (PS4)

La511ee.png

As always, excellent work. I don't know why, but I could've sworn I'd heard negative things about this game and thusly didn't bother, but perhaps I was mistaken. This game is on sale so often, the least I could do is peep out the trailer...

• Like 1

On 08/10/2021 at 3:37 AM, YaManSmevz said:

I'm sure I will - Sutherland was quite a pleasant surprise (which shouldn't have been the case, he's a famously talented actor after all!) and I'm still genuinely excited to play Phantom. I think the thing holding me back is the same thing with Red Dead 2, from a completionist standpoint it's just so intimidating!

I should have replied to this a while back, I've been a bit distracted the last couple of days - that and finishing writing that Yakuza 0 review.... That took way longer than I expected it to, went through a lot of re-edits haha. Still - it is spoiler free by the way, so if you had the desire to read it, you could ?..... I also need to get and read your Afterparty review - I'd been pretty eagerly waiting for that after I saw you'd nailed the platinum, so I'm looking forward to reading that one.

Yep - I'm in exactly the same boat when it comes to Red Dead 2 - I'm about 99% sure I'm going to enjoy it, but that huge time sink is an understatement. Isn't Red Dead 2 meant to take upwards of about 150 hours? That's such a time sink - although not to put you off but I think The Phantom Pain might be a similar amount - but that's a little easier to drop in and out of.

Stay on the line, my secretary will take your information1f609.png

I felt bad for you! You're really not a negative dude and I sensed you struggling to just be like "the shit store called, and they want their game back." It's a testament to your writing ability though that you were able to power through it and keep your attitude upbeat!

Thanks man!

It would have been easier to just spend the whole review talking about how much I detested it - which I did for probably 80% of it......

.......Yeah - everyone should avoid that game, and both their sanity and their trophy lists will be all the better for it.

Yeah dude, every time that game is mentioned I get more excited to play it. I need to put together what batch of games I wanna tackle once the games in the challenge are finished, that one will definitely be among them.

You could always add it as part of the challenge - if you get through the games you've got pencilled in to play. If you add in the DLC I don't think it amounts to much more than about 40 hours. That's probably the higher end of the spectrum too. So if you wanted to you might be able to fit it in somewhere.

I love the idea of the 100% club bein a stereotypical social club where everybody's in velvet robes, puffin on pipes, and sayin shit like "indubitably!"

And man... if there was ONE FFIX character who deserved a voice...

Well I checked earlier and You me and realm are still in the fastest achievers club for Beholder 2, so perhaps we ought to be the ones to introduce that feature - I'd look so out of place in one of those clubs though - so you two might have to sneak me in under a big coat or something :facepalm:

It certainly isn't Amarant that deserves that voice - that dumbarse would probably find a way to lose it,or it'd become an independent entity just to escape his ineptitude.

As always, excellent work. I don't know why, but I could've sworn I'd heard negative things about this game and thusly didn't bother, but perhaps I was mistaken. This game is on sale so often, the least I could do is peep out the trailer...

I don't know if it did really, I couldn't say -  I'd only really read @DrBloodmoney's review of Hue. (I need to read your latest review batch by the way Doc, I know it's there, I just haven't had the chance to sit down and dedicate the time to it yet, but I will do soon! I'm looking forward to it.) I hadn't really attempted to do much research outside of that.

I think the most negative thing you can level at it, is that it doesn't have all that much going for it outside of it's puzzles - it's got a good enough narrative, but it's fairly small scale, and doesn't get a whole lot of focus.

That's a great idea though - check out the trailer and see if it's something that might interest you. It's definitely appealing if you like puzzlers like I do

I'd better get off and do one final read through of that Yakuza 0 review - so expect to see that up here in a little while.It's a very long one though, so it might be quite the read -so I'll understand if people want to run away screaming from that one! ?

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

I'd better get off and do one final read through of that Yakuza 0 review - so expect to see that up here in a little while.It's a very long one though, so it might be quite the read -so I'll understand if people want to run away screaming from that on! 1f605.png

Finally I can reply to this thread :D:D been checking it for a while and it's high time I read it (especially since I saw Drakengard 3 on the first page which i still need to play)

BUT I DIGRESS! Yakuza 0? hot damn I need to read that! All my years of intense English studying is finally paying off xD 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

I should have replied to this a while back, I've been a bit distracted the last couple of days - that and finishing writing that Yakuza 0 review.... That took way longer than I expected it to, went through a lot of re-edits haha. Still - it is spoiler free by the way, so if you had the desire to read it, you could 1f606.png

Yo I'm super excited for your Yakuza 0 review, it's gonna be the thing that gets me back into it I already know! I've been finishing up board game/game show stuff because after finishing Family Feud I wanna do a post on games I bought in order to play with my wife, but... Hitman and Yakuza 0, they callin me?

31 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Yep - I'm in exactly the same boat when it comes to Red Dead 2 - I'm about 99% sure I'm going to enjoy it, but that huge time sink is an understatement. Isn't Red Dead 2 meant to take upwards of about 150 hours? That's such a time sink - although not to put you off but I think The Phantom Pain might be a similar amount - but that's a little easier to drop in and out of.

It's kind of silly really, because I know I'm gonna sink hours upon hours into gaming anyway, so why does it matter if so many hours go into one game? I wish I could explain it... gaming logic man, figure it out?

How I long for the days of my boyhood, when free time just seemed boundless...

?????

36 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

You could always add it as part of the challenge - if you get through the games you've got pencilled in to play. If you add in the DLC I don't think it amounts to much more than about 40 hours. That's probably the higher end of the spectrum too. So if you wanted to you might be able to fit in somewhere.

Well I checked earlier and You me and realm are still in the fastest achievers club for Beholder 2, so perhaps we ought to be the ones to introduce that feature - I'd look so out of place in one of those clubs though - so you two might have to sneak me in under a big coat or something :facepalm:

I just might... I already know I'll be adding a few more games, with a few on deck for swaps just in case.

I'm down dude, I have a fez hat and a robe, just need a box of cigars, a bottle of cognac, and a few snifter glasses!

• Like 1