rjkclarke's Carnival of Diamonds and Rust

rjkclarke

Hey another pool & snooker fan. 

I love playing pool myself and I’ve been doing that for 15-20 years now. Snooker is just too hard of a game for me to play so that’s why I love to watch snooker whenever there is a tournament on tv. It always amazes me how good these professionals are. O’Sullivan=Goat.

I’ve been thinking about trying out a pool or snooker game for a long time and if you say this is the best one I’ll look into it. Any online trophies to worry about?

• Like 2

Imma sneak in and say that damn that was a nice read! Among one of my many hobbies that this blasted quarantine killed, it was Pool. I am a fan of the game and every time I got the chance I "kidnapped" my friends for a small 3 hours session of Pool. Wished I could play Snooker but unfortunately Romania doesn't really get the intricacies of that beautiful game, so it's hard to find a table.

Thus being said, I really got curious about that game. For you, platinuming this game is secretly your blessing, because the game you are planning to play, Yakuza 3, has the most abysmal pool minigame ever xD miss a pocket on Master difficulty and you are done! There's no "foul" position for the AI, it will always pocket a ball no matter the white ball's position.

That Maximum Break in Snooker however looks like hell. Saw the magic skills of Ronnie O'Sullivan, that man is legendary status, replicating that in a game...whew, it explains the completion rate.

Again congrats for this masterful achievement, waiting for them End of the Year awards!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Baker said:

Hey another pool & snooker fan. 

I love playing pool myself and I’ve been doing that for 15-20 years now. Snooker is just too hard of a game for me to play so that’s why I love to watch snooker whenever there is a tournament on tv. It always amazes me how good these professionals are. O’Sullivan=Goat.

I’ve been thinking about trying out a pool or snooker game for a long time and if you say this is the best one I’ll look into it. Any online trophies to worry about?

It looks like there are more of us Snooker and Pool fans around here than I thought! Haha

That's the thing isn't it - they all make it look so easy on TV, but then when you actually try and play Snooker yourself you realise how difficult it really is. I won't list what my highest real life break is as it's pretty laughable :lol:.... I'm pretty decent at pool though, and I expect you are too from playing the game for 15-20 years.

I'll recommend Pure Pool so long as you go in with the knowledge that the opponent A.I is a complete bastard - if you can deal with that then you should be fine. If you don't want something with as ludicrous a difficulty level (You've done plenty of hard as nails things though, so this shouldn't intimidate you,) however, I might suggest checking out Snooker 19. It doesn't have Pool in it, but as far as available Snooker games on the PS4 go that is by far the best one. It's got licensed players, an extensive career mode, a really good DLC pack that's quite challenging, and it's usually on offer fairly cheaply. Has got a few online trophies though, but the online is still pretty active, and it's actually quite enjoyable to play as well.

If you go with Pure Pool though, it does have a few online trophies, which I believe are still attainable, I'm not 100% sure but I think they are. If you need help with some of those I can probably give you a hand with them.

15 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Imma sneak in and say that damn that was a nice read! Among one of my many hobbies that this blasted quarantine killed, it was Pool. I am a fan of the game and every time I got the chance I "kidnapped" my friends for a small 3 hours session of Pool. Wished I could play Snooker but unfortunately Romania doesn't really get the intricacies of that beautiful game, so it's hard to find a table.

Damn dude, you keep surprising me! Didn't expect you to be a Pool or Snooker fan. 

Thanks though - I'm glad you enjoyed it, I always worry a little bit when I write a lot about something fairly niche like that, that people will just instantly switch off and fall asleep, glad you didn't! :lol:

We're in the same boat on that one unfortunately regarding quarantine killing our ability to play Pool.... I've got a friend who's basically my version of what you were like for dragging your friends out for hours. We once played Pool probably for close to nine hours over the course of a day - the club near us used to open until at least 3AM - so as you can imagine, many beers and many balls were sunk that day. That's a shame it's tough to find a Snooker table near you, I do enjoy playing Snooker I'm just not all that good at it. I still enjoy actually playing it though - but like Baker I probably enjoy watching it more.

20 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Thus being said, I really got curious about that game. For you, platinuming this game is secretly your blessing, because the game you are planning to play, Yakuza 3, has the most abysmal pool minigame ever xD miss a pocket on Master difficulty and you are done! There's no "foul" position for the AI, it will always pocket a ball no matter the white ball's position.

That Maximum Break in Snooker however looks like hell. Saw the magic skills of Ronnie O'Sullivan, that man is legendary status, replicating that in a game...whew, it explains the completion rate.

Again congrats for this masterful achievement, waiting for them End of the Year awards!

I'm actually planning on starting Yakuza 3 later today - so it's funny that you mentioned that :lol:..... playing Pure Pool will either be a blessing or a curse when it comes to Yakuza 3 - of all the minigames in those games, I really don't like Pool in them. It doesn't feel like Pool at all, it feels like Pool made by an alien, that has only ever read about it in a scrap of dirty toilet paper that he found in a cubicle somewhere in Northumberland.

That maximum break is hell - but man was it satisfying when I finally got it!

I appreciate that man - hopefully they'll be a good bit of a laugh - I did adopt the "Game that made me wish an Orangutan would smash through my window, rip my arms off and beat me to death with them Award for Worst game". I won't say what it is yet though. ?

• Like 2

Amazing review my friend, what a way to end the year ! I was very caught into it and loved every bit of it ! I have now a better understanding of what you meant when I first asked you about the game. The game doesn't look like easy by any means, it is a great accomplishment that you have here, you are right to be proud of it haha. ?

By the way, Pure Pool being your #300 plat was intentional or was it a combination of circumstances ? 

4 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

There were ups, there were plenty of downs, plenty of lack of belief, but all the time through I was still enjoying playing it. I go into this further in the rest of the review but I really think it says a lot about a games quality or how much you like it if even after giving up on the idea of returning for the platinum or the 100% that I still found myself wanting to play it.

When you tackle a hard game with a lot of trials and error that may take you several months/years to beat, the enjoyment part is a huge factor in my opinion. Taking the long road is not a problem as long as it doesn't feel like a chore every time you comeback to it. That's what ultimately helped you overcome this beast of a game even after more than 6 years haha. 

I saw a topic on this site a while ago describing white whale platinum's (That was a good read by the way I recommend others to search it up) and I was sure for the longest time that this game would be the one that got away from me. I'm not joking - I really didn't ever expect to get the platinum in this, I just didn't think I had that patience to deal with how finicky and unfair the A.I is. More on that to come though, this game turned me into Captain Ahab - making me sail a sea of green baize in search of my illusive target. I can safely tell you though, the hunt was so worth it.

It's always funny reading someone's doubts and fear after they overcame the challenge that was giving them so much trouble. Do you think any gamer would be able to overcome any challenging game by being committed enough or do you think you need more than just dedication to be able to finish games such as Pure Pool, Trackmania Turbo or Trials Fusion ? In your opinion, are skills something you can work on by trial and error or is it just than some people are more talented than others ? Would be curious to have your opinion on that one ?

The way the cue looks on certain shots is very awkward on occasion - but to really excel at this game it helps to have a pretty extensive knowledge of how certain types of spin work when applied to the ball. For example, if you hit a straight shot with side spin, it will throw the pot out of alignment, so you have to adjust where you strike both the cue ball, and the object ball as a result. It's a small detail that a lot of cue sports games tend to leave out to make things a little easier for the player, but for me it added a real depth to this game as it means you have a lot more shots open to you as a result than you probably think you did. 

Pretty interesting. My knowledge of pool doesn't go that far if I'm being honest. Do you feel like you can get more comfortable with the different patterns of spin by playing the game or is it something you'll have to document yourself beforehand to give you a proper chance at the game ?

If anybody has ever considered picking this up or are fond of Pool/ Snooker titles I implore you to please pick this up even if you think the difficulty/length might be overwhelming, it was a very fun experience in the end, good game to play against friends as well.Podcasts will be your friend for the long grind ahead haha!!

I now have a better understanding of the difficulty of the game with no overhead camera, the A.I difficulty, the grind for Grandmaster and the Snooker DLC. I think I'll still pick up the game and give it a try at some point, even if it will be months from now. 

Edited by PlutoRico
  • Like 2

Ah Ronnie O'Sullivan... as someone who's pool knowledge is limited to an occasional pub thrashing, even I know of that man... a man so naughty and edgy that a quick raptaptap of his cue on the edge of a table sent shockwaves through the sport and ripples throughout Britain. Children were scurried inside. Fathers cleared their throats in indignation. Mothers fled, clutching at their pearls!

He's a funny old bloke. Imagine being that good at something. Good for him. And good for you Rob, that effort paid off big time! Great job.

• Like 2

That was an awesome read man - felt like I went on a journey with you!

I’m, I guess, a fair-weather cue sports fan - I love playing pool (snooker is a bit out my league… the table… is so big… ?) but I do have a lot of fond memories of watching The Masters with my grandad - he’d watch my sister and I after school a couple nights a week, and he’d tape matches (and avoid watching them ahead himself - or so he said!) so we could watch together.

That 0.03% is outrageous mate - kudos!

I totally know what you mean about the physics model and the feel of the balls though - for all that there must be 100s of pool and snooker games over the years (plus another hundred as mini-games in other games!) remarkably few of them seem to move like they should - which is weird, since its one game virtually everyone on the planet kind of knows how it should feel!

It might not be in everyone’s knowledge to identify exactly what is wrong when it doesn’t feel right, but they all at least know it just… doesn’t feel as it should!

That stuff about the magical AI is a real pisser though. That’s a massive problem in any 1-on-1 game really - if you feel like there is just no chance that the AI opponent will ever make an error, then it feels less like a game, and more like a chore - and in Pool, you would think they would have realised that forcing an error, and taking advantage of a whiff is a big part of the game!

I kind of feel the same with chess games - invariably, once you get to the higher difficulty opponents, they never make an error, ever

It becomes less about how you play, and more about just playing very specific, established tactics, and so more about memory than skill. Obviously with Pool, there is also a skill element too, so I’d imagine a failure of a shot in the late game must feel crushing in those games!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PlutoRico said:

Amazing review my friend, what a way to end the year ! I was very caught into it and loved every bit of it ! I have now a better understanding of what you meant when I first asked you about the game. The game doesn't look like easy by any means, it is a great accomplishment that you have here, you are right to be proud of it haha. 1f609.png

By the way, Pure Pool being your #300 plat was intentional or was it a combination of circumstances ? 

Thanks man! I really appreciate that - although there's still one big post left to come, and I'll post it up after I've replied here. Cutting it fine I know, last minute edits and all that.

It isn't easy that's for sure - but as I often say, if I can manage it then you absolutely can too.

It was more of a combination of circumstances than me intentionally making it #300. I was always chipping away at the 147 attempts, and by that point all I needed for the platinum was to grind to the Grand Master Rank, so once I got the 147 I was fairly close to #300 anyway, so I thought looks like that's what it'll be then I guess.

When you tackle a hard game with a lot of trials and error that may take you several months/years to beat, the enjoyment part is a huge factor in my opinion. Taking the long road is not a problem as long as it doesn't feel like a chore every time you comeback to it. That's what ultimately helped you overcome this beast of a game even after more than 6 years haha. 

Absolutely! I quite like seeing those huge gaps inbetween trophies on peoples lists - more often than not there's usually a fairly interesting story to go alongside that.

Pretty interesting. My knowledge of pool doesn't go that far if I'm being honest. Do you feel like you can get more comfortable with the different patterns of spin by playing the game or is it something you'll have to document yourself beforehand to give you a proper chance at the game ?

I think you'd be alright - you don't need really extensive knowledge of exactly how various bits of spin and things like that work - it helps, but it isn't something that you have to have I don't think. If you can all it means is that you can usually manufacture some very intricate positional shots, but you can definitely get with playing just plain ball, or top or back spin for the most part. I think that'd help for playing the Snooker DLC too, as using plain ball striking as much as possible eliminates the chance of missing a ball because you put too much spin on it. So to be

It's always funny reading someone's doubts and fear after they overcame the challenge that was giving them so much trouble. Do you think any gamer would be able to overcome any challenging game by being committed enough or do you think you need more than just dedication to be able to finish games such as Pure Pool, Trackmania Turbo or Trials Fusion ? In your opinion, are skills something you can work on by trial and error or is it just than some people are more talented than others ? Would be curious to have your opinion on that one 1f601.png

I think any gamer would be able to for the most part yeah - so long as you have working hands obviously - even then don't rule it out..... I mean I've literally seen a guy with one hand Speedrun NieR: Automata, which is amazing, and that really does show what we can potentially do when we really put our minds to it.

So yeah - I think anyone could potentially do those tough games if they really set themselves the task to do it, and really wanted to do it. There's obviously a lot of skill involved in that, but it's something that I think you can learn via trial and error like you mentioned. Different people are better equipped for different things, sure, but that doesn't mean we can't learn how to do them, however much patience it might take for us.

That's my take on it anyway.

I now have a better understanding of the difficulty of the game with no overhead camera, the A.I difficulty, the grind for Grandmaster and the Snooker DLC. I think I'll still pick up the game and give it a try at some point, even if it will be months from now. 

Well that's awesome - I look forward to reading about your time with it when you do.

3 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

Ah Ronnie O'Sullivan... as someone who's pool knowledge is limited to an occasional pub thrashing, even I know of that man... a man so naughty and edgy that a quick raptaptap of his cue on the edge of a table sent shockwaves through the sport and ripples throughout Britain. Children were scurried inside. Fathers cleared their throats in indignation. Mothers fled, clutching at their pearls!

He's a funny old bloke. Imagine being that good at something. Good for him. And good for you Rob, that effort paid off big time! Great job.

Cheers Gonzo! That's awesome of you to say.

He can be a pretty strange fella that's for sure - he seems to have a strange knack of saying the strangest things at the most inappropriate of times.

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

That was an awesome read man - felt like I went on a journey with you!

I’m, I guess, a fair-weather cue sports fan - I love playing pool (snooker is a bit out my league… the table… is so big… 1f62e.png) but I do have a lot of fond memories of watching The Masters with my grandad - he’d watch my sister and I after school a couple nights a week, and he’d tape matches (and avoid watching them ahead himself - or so he said!) so we could watch together.

Thanks Doc - I'm glad you enjoyed the trip across the sea of green baize haha :lol:

That's a nice memory of your Grandad though - mine used to tape Countdown for me - and we'd all sit and watch that, I can't say watching an entire weeks worth of Countdown in one evening is the most riveting thing I've ever done, but it was a nice idea by Grandparents as they knew I liked it.

The Masters is back on in a couple of weeks - maybe you should fire it up and have a watch. I love that you have a memory like that associated with Snooker though that's really nice.

That 0.03% is outrageous mate - kudos!

I totally know what you mean about the physics model and the feel of the balls though - for all that there must be 100s of pool and snooker games over the years (plus another hundred as mini-games in other games!) remarkably few of them seem to move like they should - which is weird, since its one game virtually everyone on the planet kind of knows how it should feel!

It might not be in everyone’s knowledge to identify exactly what is wrong when it doesn’t feel right, but they all at least know it just… doesn’t feel as it should!

Thanks again!

As I'm about as far away from being an ultra rare hunter as you can get, that will probably my rarest thing indefinitely :lol:

It's one of those things you can't really not notice when you play a Pool minigame or just one in general - I totally get what you mean, you just instantly know that it doesn't feel right, usually you can tell from watching a video, but there's been a few times where you can get caught out. I think Hustle Kings has really janky physics, and not in a good way. They just really suck. It felt like knocking around concrete balls, and I just couldn't get on with that.

I kind of feel the same with chess games - invariably, once you get to the higher difficulty opponents, they never make an error, ever

It becomes less about how you play, and more about just playing very specific, established tactics, and so more about memory than skill. Obviously with Pool, there is also a skill element too, so I’d imagine a failure of a shot in the late game must feel crushing in those games!

I can't say I've played all that many chess video games - my nephew really likes them, but that sounds a little joyless when the computer A.I is pretty much infallible.

It does feel crushing when you miss practically the final shot in a tournament match or something -  and then the CPU proceeds to pot every ball from impossible angles, it just kind of makes you brain hurt a little bit.

Awards Ceremony Post here we come!

See you all there - although it will be 2022, by the time a lot of you read it. But that's cool. 

• Like 4

I think you've tempted me into trying this out at some point although the AI and level grind sound pretty off putting, I'll definitely get around to Snooker 19 as I haven't played a snooker game since WSC Real 11 (ignoring the Hustle Kings dlc)

Used to be a pretty big snooker fan when I was younger (still have good memories of the first World Championship Snooker game on PS1) and would play fairly often on weekends with my dad as we had a couple snooker halls nearby, don't think I've ever managed a break higher than 30 ?  

Always relied pretty heavily on the aiming/positioning guides for the games so I can imagine how challenging the 147 is in this especially with no overhead camera, can't decide if the thought of trying to do it motivates me to play this or is another reason for me to avoid it ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Pure Pool: Redux Review/Experiences

LH970d0d.jpg

Platinum #300

Pure Pool (PS4)

L90b130.png

1L7e5602.png

Pure Trophy
Win all the Pure Pool2122.png trophies

A Few Trophy Stats

Platinum Earned - 26 January 2021 : 4:05:40PM

Time Taken to Platinum :  6 years, 5 months, 3 weeks

Platinum Rarity  - 0.25%

100% Rarity - 0.03%

Trophy Number - 14,729

Tenth Player to Achieve 100%

I love your love of pool! It's a great testament to both your genuine passion for the sport as well as your knack for high quality writing that someone like me, who up until fairly recently thought Snooker was a type of cookie, gleefully hung on every word of this write-up!

You did a spectacular job of walking us through the thrill of the chase, dry spells and all, and between the two pool games I've read your write-ups for, I feel a bit more educated as well!

I love the White Whale analogy! Fitting, given that you put in six years of keeping a cool, Zen-infused head in the face of bullshit A.I. fuckin witchu at every opportunity! I'm so glad for you that you got the satisfaction of pulling off such a difficult trophy, and were rewarded with a .03 rarity completion! Hot damn man, that is an accomplishment! You and those other nine peeps should be having sexy dinner parties like that swanky Sgail soirée?

I watched that maximum break video - dear lord. Mr. O'Sullivan is a damn stud. And so are you! Congrats on that accomplishment and thanks for the write-up!

• Like 1

Eyyy a fellow FFIX and MGS fan! I didn't know you were reading my checklist; thanks for checking it out! I'm learning that a lot more people have been checking it out than I was aware of. I really should visit some of the other checklists on here more often, including yours.

Btw, you've convinced me to checkout Vall Halla (yes I know I spelled that wrong lol).

Happy New Year dude!

Edited by yuber1234
  • Like 3

Sir, this was truly what I expected from your end of year awards and I am so SO glad to be one of the people to convince you into writing this stuff :D (and also the asshole responsible for throwing some unique games for you to review, such as Arcania, may Innos save us all :awesome:).

Very pleased to see Zero and Drakengard 3 receive such love. I haven't ACTUALLY played the game unfortunately but my god I watched all the good stuff about it. Maybe one day I will find the courage to throw all that money for the game+DLCs and attempt that FINAL boss. Yoko Taro, you are a bastard and I love you!

Happy new year, may we be blessed by more EuroRPGs, badass Yakoozers, crazy writeups.

And above all...

Honourable Mention: Shadow of the Colossus (2018 Remake).... Sorry Copanele

Still fuck that game ? 

• Like 2

applause.gif

Yay! 

Awesome awards ceremony my friend - well worth pulling the semi-clean Kilt outfit back out the closet - even if I did need to find the extender belts to accommodate the festive food consumption ?

I'm not going to sit and comment on ever category like some kind of unstoppable chatterbox, but a few I just have to!

6 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Best Male Character Award

Winner

Vivi Ornitier – Final Fantasy IX

Great to see the little guy taking this one - he's a mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a hat, but never less than charming!

“Ladies and gentleman, our next award is Best Female Character”

Winner:  Zero – Drakengard 3

Runner up: Jill –  VA-11 Hall-A – Cyberpunk Bartender Action.

Third Place: Lola – Afterparty

Man... I've already got Valhalla on my backlog list, but this (and a few others is really making me feel like Drakenguard 3 should really be on there too... goddammit! 

Is Drakenguard 3 the one that Nier is a sequel to one of the offshoot endings? I know there's some odd lineage somewhere in that series... and maybe this needs to be done before Nier Replicant...

Worst Character: Male or Female.

Runner up: Beast – The Wolf Among Us

Man - this one makes me sad - but for reasons that have nothing to do with the game itself!

I liked The Wolf Among Us, but let me tell you - as a big Fables fan (the comic it's based on) - Beast is the character who got done dirty by that game!

In the comics, he is a bit of a foil for Bigby early on, but is generally one of the most likeable characters in the series!

Spoiler alert for comics I suppose:

Spoiler

He actually takes over as Sheriff of Fabletown relatively early in the series, and Beauty takes over for Snow as the administrator, after Biby and Snow have to leave, when he knocks her up, and they have a litter of magical pups!

Beast is the dude who is not as good at the detective business as Bigby, but knows it, and is always genuinely trying to do the right thing - and his relationship with Beauty is really lovely most of the time!

Best Game of the Year Award

Winner: Final  Fantasy IX

Runner up: Drakengard 3

Third Place: Pure Pool

Honourable Mention: Shadow of the Colossus (2018 Remake).... Sorry Copanele

Haha - @Copanele has to take the award now for being "Most Mentioned in an Awards Category - 2021" ?

M'Dude - we all have our popular games we don't like, but for some reason, your Shadow of the Colossus stance is becoming mythologised at an alarming rate! ?

Best Visuals/Art Design

Winner: This War of Mine: The Little Ones

Runner up: Afterparty/Oxenfree

Third Place: Beholder 2

Honourable Mention.  Seasons after Fall

This is a really interesting list - and I can't disagree on any of it!

Great idea having a "Best Graphics" and a "Best Art Design" award - I think by having both mixed together into a "Best Looking", I tied myself in a knot, and it meant not really awarding games like This War of Mine - ones where the graphics are nothing to write home about, but they just ooze style from every (in this case, dirty and sad) pore!

Best Gaphics

Winner: Marvel’s Spider-Man

Runner up: Shadow of the Colossus ( 2018 Remake)

Third Place: Abzu

Honourable Mention: ICO

Can't deny a damned thing here - that Spiderman game is just gorgeous!

I fear it will already be 2022 for many of you by the time you read this - possibly even me - in which case we'll just call this a big fat loss on my part for not being more organised.

It turns out it is..... It's now 2022 - this will be a lesson. I'm not for New Years Resolutions usually..... I always think if you have something you want to change, don't wait for a specific  day to do it, just do it. Perhaps this is my time to learn that I need to organise my time better.

I've gotten a little caught up on what to say here - and I've been going around and around in circles with this for a very long time.... So if it does go out later than usual, this is why.

Without all of you lovely folk this year would have been a much darker place, and I am eternally grateful for each and everyone of you who stop by on a regular basis.

It's been a wild ride so far - what started out as something heavily inspired by, @Arcesius @Cassylvania and @Copanele's own awesome threads has grown into something I truly never expected it to.

I started this whole process off with the intention of just getting some pressure free writing practice, so having my own space to talk about the games that I've played over the years was always something I was eager to do. I did think it would mainly just be me, someone might pop in occasionally and say "why does he like point-and-click games so much." Then leave completely baffled because I actually don't skip through all the dialogue like the trophy guide might suggest that you do. I'm so grateful that it's become what it has though.

I have said this in various places on the forums over the last few days - what with all the end of year posts - but the thing I'm most grateful for is getting to know so many of you. As I said, I might not have met any of you, and I might never meet any of you, who can say for sure. But that doesn't mean I don't care about many of you, and consider you friends. I really mean that too - I have got plenty of friends like a lot of us do, but not seeing them or spending time with them has been one of the hardest things for me over the last two years of lockdowns and restrictions. So to find so many wonderful people who are willing to put up with my waffly rambly insomniac nonsense, I truly am grateful.

Being able to just cut loose and be myself has been one of the most enjoyable parts - obviously we all might have some sort of a wall up to a degree, that's understandable.If It wasn't for you all I don't think I ever would have written the post about my sadly departed friend/mentor Goran, man that was hard - but his story deserved to be told, and I'm glad I was able to do it.

You all truly are the best.... From here on out it might look a little bit of a wall of blue. As there's lots of people to tag here......  I'll go with the guys and girls who frequent the Checklist areas specifically first.

Bless you man - same same ?

As It's probably New Years Day 2023 now, it's taken that long to get this bit written....... Happy New to Year to All of you....

Catch you in the next one folks.... Well I will, so long as this long ass post doesn't rip a hole in the space time continuum.

Happy New Year to you bud, and here's to more great RJ Reviews next year!

??

• Like 3

Brilliant 2021 post @rjkclarke!

Good to see Vivi from FF9 take the win!!! He's got a very recognizable character design; from the droopy pants that allude to a shy, almost hesitant nature, juxtaposed by the obscured face with nothing but his eyes shining through. I'm not sure if I've already mentioned this, but typically characters with hidden faces usually hints to a more troubled nature, like Meta Knight from Kirby for instance; their eyes are extremely similar. But like Meta Knight, he's actually a good character despite the way he looks, and I believe that's the same for Vivi! In the case of Vivi, whilst I haven't played the game yet, it's a great blend in the character design that makes for something quite "stand-out" if that makes sense. I think the silhouette of a character alongside their design is one of the most important parts to a character, alongside how they're written. Both things go hand in hand, and Vivi's got quite an iconic design.

When you mention the lockdowns and the consequences to real-life social encounters, it really does hit home how much the world has changed in just 2 years. I think these forums are a great way to connect with people with similar passions and hobbies alike, and getting to read all of your inspired posts have definitely made me more connected, and especially you, too! Trophy hunting is a rather niche thing in the grand scheme of video games, so finding a community that's based around it is fricking awesome! ? Here's to a great 2022!

Edited by Shrooba
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

@GonzoWARgasm You are a funny, funny dude, and that's an understatement - it still boggled my mind a little bit that you actually binge read my entire thread from start to when you said that you had  - I really appreciate that, and I'm glad it got the ball rolling on me going back and renovating things and making them look a little nicer.

Thanks Rob. I seem to be throwing a lot of love around this forum over the last week or so (like a drunk amongst friends: "I love you maaan. No, for real. No no no no FOR REAL. I LOVE YOU MAAAAAN"), but I mean it: this whole side of this forum is pretty based, and you're a key part of that mate. I look forward to being here for more of your insights in 2022.

4 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Man - this one makes me sad - but for reasons that have nothing to do with the game itself!

I liked The Wolf Among Us, but let me tell you - as a big Fables fan (the comic it's based on) - Beast is the character who got done dirty by that game!

In the comics, he is a bit of a foil for Bigby early on, but is generally one of the most likeable characters in the series!

Spoiler alert for comics I suppose:

I knew that I should have looked into this series when I finished TWAU. A quick wiki search gives me the impression that it's finished, so I'll probably wait until TWAU2 comes out and then get into the comics. How highly do you rate the comics?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

I knew that I should have looked into this series when I finished TWAU. A quick wiki search gives me the impression that it's finished, so I'll probably wait until TWAU2 comes out and then get into the comics. How highly do you rate the comics?

I love ‘em - the only series I actually forked out the absurd amount of cash required to get every issue in the hardback deluxe editions!

I really think they are so imaginative, funny, smart - but never get miles into the weeds on required backlore, and never get too dour or dark.

I reckon if I had to list my top 10 series of all time, Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing run would probably take the top spot, but Sandman, Fables, Preacher, Watchmen, V for Vendetta and Y: The Last Man would be fighting it out for the spots right below - and Fables might just take it!

Highly recommended!

• Like 3

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952d5cc16767a7614216f

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT!!! MAH DUUUUDE *whistle*

First of all, outstanding! Extremely impressive work homie, my hat's off to you!

I had a parlay on FFIX, Agents of Mayhem, and Erica for their exact placements... could someone please direct me to the pay out window?

So glad to see IX damn near get out the broom, it absolutely deserved it (not to mention quite possibly being your review of the year!), and seeing Vivi get one more pat on the back warmed my heart. Also LADY ASHBURY!!! I forgot that I really liked her, thank you for that!

Also glad to see Squall, Lola, and Carl get some love! Beast was portrayed as a bit of a dipshit, wasn't he? I kind of let that slip into the recesses of my memory. Once I saw Legend of Kay though, I immediately remembered your review and the bile you had for that furry fucker?

Drakengard, eh? Guess I'll have to peep that... You've also given Shadow of the Colossus and my recently purchased This War of Mine a big shove up the backlog!

Your WWE games shout (well, not that kind of shout) reminded me - I been meaning to ask you, have you heard anything about 2k22? I guess they're bringing back GM mode at long last. It probably won't be very good, but I must admit that it got me to keep an ear out...

Did I mention how nice it was to see Beholder and Night School? This must be how you and Doc feel all the time - you merciless rec machines, you!!

Thank you so much for the shout man! As Gonzo pointed out, you've become quite a key member of the community, and it's been an absolute pleasure to watch - you deserve every bit of recognition you get, man! And don't you forget - how you spoke of the people here that can put a smile on your face or ease the burden of a wretched day? You do the very same for each and every one of us, and I really would like for you to take a moment and think about that and feel good about yourself, because you've more than earned it!

As usual, all love homie!

• Like 2

Thank you for the mention my friend! Amazing write up as usual! I wish I had your stamina for these reviews lol. They are always so thoughtful and you really do an excellent job conveying exactly what a game meant for you. Having seen how high Drakengard 3 rated for you, I'll need to add that to my backlog. It's a testament to the story of FFIX that it was able to be your best game of the year despite that bs Jump Rope trophy. I know that experience ruined the game for a lot of people. Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjkclarke said:

First off - Happy New Year to you too!

I do love me some Solid Metal Gears, and some FFIX that's for sure..... You know the weirdest part about the FFIX thing.... Is that whilst I'm a big Final Fantasy fan for some reason that I'm not even fully aware of, I only played Final Fantasy IX for the first time in 2021, and wow, that game blew me in the best way possible.

Like I said - I might not have the dexterity for fighting games (I might, I've just never been that inclined to find out) I still thoroughly reading about people absolutely decimating them. Sometimes you and Copanele just batter them like they are the most helpless of fish.

You're always welcome here. No pressure to check mine out if you don't fancy it of course, it's fairly often that a lot of us drift onto talking about plenty of things that aren't just games. I think one whole page almost, is a few of us just discussing film and books.

I'd call it Vall Halla or Vallhalla, too to be fair, heck when I reviewed it I deliberately just called it Valhalla because typing out it's actual title that many times was starting to make blood drip out of my ears :lol:

That's good to hear though - so long as you know it's more in line with a visual novel than anything else then you'll be fine. It's got actual gameplay of course, but it's very much a story over gameplay thing - but the story itself is really good, and it really drew me in.

Aren't you planning on jumping into Yakuza this year with the Ultra rare cleanup if I noticed correctly? You're in for an absolute treat that series - I'm planning to start Yakuza 3 myself actually once I've written this post.

Glad you liked FFIX. A lot of my friends that are FF fans didn't like IX for some reason. That's nice of you to say about me and fighting games, but I truly struggled with some of those games. :P 

I like VNs (at least the few that I played), so I'm sure the lack of gameplay in Vallhalla won't be an issue. And yeah, I definitely plan to play Yakuza 0 this year. I might not have time for more than one Yakuza game this year since they're so long, but I 100% will playing at least that one.

• Like 1

8131066-auntmaypaker(9).jpg

What's that, Troll Aunt May? You want to... no! We can't here... this is rjkclarke's checklist! Oh no, we.. no... Troll Aunt May... oh YES, OH YESSSSS???

You've still got all of IX to look forward to, so that might well pick up some awards at your 2022 ceremony, and I have a sneaking suspicion so might Yakuza 0.

+1 for Lady Ashbury too - I very much had a fairly all over the place experience with Vampyr but damn she was memorable, and in the best possible way too.

As do I!

Yeah, she was by far the most fleshed out character in Vampyr. What an interestingly good but not that good kinda bad but solidly decent game!

Those were again really tough - in retrospect I feel like it was a little bit self indulgent putting Squall on there, I have always liked Squall, but then FFVIII is new to my list in 2021 so I thought screw it why not. It was nearly Chinchilla Face,  I mean Peter Parker.

I'm pretty sure PSN has a no-chinchilla policy with awards anyway, so you made the right call. Also of course it counts if it's new to your profile! Of course, I gave CJ a nod in mine so even if I didn't have your back by default anyway, I'd still have to have to in this particular case regardless!

You could use Shadow of the Colossus as a swap in the Winter Challenge if you wanted - it's not a particularly lengthy platinum, and it's really good too. Unless you're Copanele and you want the horse to be turned into glue.

I hope you get to This War of Mine at some point soon - it's such a bloody good game, I'm so glad that Doc wrote about that in such a specific way, that I thought "Oh wow, that sounds like something I've never really played anything like before" and it's true. There really isn't anything else quite like This War of Mine.

Well there's two potential swapping games! I'm definitely gonna have to use at least one, with two months left I'm realizing just how much bigger than my stomach my eyes were!

Thank you so much dude - that really does mean a lot. I'll definitely give the feeling good about myself thing a go, but I've unfortunately still got some of that Jill from Valhalla thing going on so I always struggle with that a little - but that is so nice of you to say. I really appreciate that.

It's important to try, even if for just a moment. I know the struggle with assigning value to yourself all too well, trust - I'm so horrible at letting myself acknowledge that kind of shit. I always have to remind myself that I don't think anybody deserves to feel low about themselves before I can apply it to myself!

Anyway. You good people man, and you deserve the reminders.

....and I need to play Valhalla?

• Like 1