rjkclarke's Carnival of Diamonds and Rust

rjkclarke

9 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I thankfully have quite a few like that - that people seem to rampantly love, but I haven't played yet..... I'm still sitting on God of War(2018) which I absolutely need to remedy this year.... I expect you've probably got quite a few yourself what with having fairly limited time to play games?

Oh yeah absolutely. God of War series as a whole is one I've not played at all. Considered playing the 2018 one especially with having it through PS Plus (unless I'm making that one up lol) but yeah, you know the backlog story lol

I think the way they saw the free DLC - was that they really wanted to make Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine feel like worthy expansions instead of just a few dribs and drabs of content here and there. So they gave away those ten free ones as a way of being like "Hey, we don't feel comfortable charging you for this, have these until the REAL DLC is ready" Some of the free quests were actually very good too.

Well that's good of them and how things such be done. Sadly with Cyberpunk, all I hear after their screwup is a roadmap for a roadmap and everything gets delayed and the game is still unplayable on a PS4? That's just lame

Yes the definitive edition - the one that's a remaster of a mobile port - and not even the PS2 game..... Yep good show on that one Rockstar, way to not only screw the pooch, but also screw years of good will from your fanbase... I guess a fair few people were a bit jaded by turning GTA:Online into the cashcow it is already though. Then there's the whole constantly releasing GTAV infinitely thing, which of all the GTA games to constantly release why that one? Show GTAIV some love please! I love that one.

Oh yeah of course lol I forget about the mobile port part of it. GTA Online is definitely a cashcow that's for sure. GTAV from a guy who has never played it, I just find it hilarious like Skyrim, constantly releasing. Maybe I'll play it on the PS6 hahaha

I've heard GTAIV is the dark horse of the GTA franchise.

Clearly not playing resistance :lol:

Now I feel like I've missed out - they sound quite interesting actually.... Perhaps it's one of those things that might get a little remastered trilogy at some point in the near future like the Crysis trilogy got. My backlog on PS3 is actually so low now that I really don't want to start adding more to it. So I'll cross all my available things to cross and hope for a remastered trilogy/quadrilogy as the Vita game sounds good too from what you've said.

Hahah well rectify that! I'm suggesting it for your backlog lol

Yeha they are definitely good and worth playing through, a remastered trilogy at least of the PS3 games would be good. Actually there was one released for the PSP as well which I forgot about. Never played it.

You never know..... It could be given away free at some point - they haven't done an AC game as a PS+ offering for a while, so it could happen.

Heck I haven't bought Darksiders: Genesis yet because I'm about 90% sure it'll be free at some point, the others pretty much all have been - watch me have to eat my words on that one though haha

Sadly I doubt that will happen with Ubisoft having that Ubisoft Plus service. Its going to Xbox soon and then probably PS like EA Play did. Would be very cool though.

Yeah I remember the Darksiders ones coming free on PS Plus, was going to start playing those but again backlog. Put me off though they looked interesting. 

That's definitely a plus when it comes to the rare few games that never seem actually go on offer digitally- something that is doubly frustrating when it comes to games that don't have a physical edition.

Looking at you Styx: Master of Shadows...... Not redeeming a PS+ title has never quite bitten me on the arse the same way as forgetting to do that did, now that I actually want to play it, and don't want to pay full price for it so that me and a friend can co-op the second one......... because.....erm......erm? I'm a....... *cough* cheapskate 1f606.png*cough* :shakefist:..

Yeah definitely It's always annoying when there is no physical edition of a game you really want and the digital price is just terrible. 

Ah man thats a real shame. Yeah I was relatively speaking late to the PS+ party, only starting on PS4 so I missed out on a lot of vita and ps3 games that would have been quality to have.

I don't think I've ever seen that version of the Gameboy before - I don't know, that's odd.  I don't know why. It just seems alien to me. I've only ever seen the big brick ones in grey so that's completely new to me.

Whereas I've only ever seen the mini one in that colour.

It looks better than the Grey one to be perfectly honest - as much as I liked my big grey brick it wasn't the nicest thing to look at.

Well there you go, something new for you lol not quite as epic as FFIX but yeah lol 

For me, that's the one I had and grew up with so it's normal and that's why I had to rebuy that one for the collection. I had friends who had the normal grey one, but for me it has to be the yellow one. Partly due to that better aesthetic.

Already one step ahead of you regarding Symphonia - I own that game probably too many times.... Gamecube, PS2,PS3 (Digital and Physical) yet somehow the Gamecube version is still the best version as it runs smoother than even the PS3 version.... Weird, right?

Colosseum was the Gamecube one, I think there was an even more expensive one called Gale of Darkness or something that I haven't seen out in the wild since it released I don't think  - I think Stadium was the N64 one.... I think those are quite rare now too.... But then everything Pokemon has a high old price to it doesn't it these days.

That sounds weird at first, but then the PS3 had the cell processor and a lot of developers really struggled to get to grips with that properly and the structure of the PS3 as I'm sure you know, but I can imagine a different console having the better version. Glad you own it already.

O yes Stadium was the N64 one. Can you tell I've hardly ever owned any Nintendo consoles? lol Pokemon as a franchise is so expensive, for me I've got the original lineup in Pop form, and I want Pokemon Blue and that's it. Rather put my money into getting FF, RE and Sonic stuff for one.

I will absolutely be voting on that - I just need to actually get around to doing it. I'll just have to show up. wear my Vote Kopite badge - make my post, pretend that I'm totally unbiased and impartial and then leave 1f602.png.... Nobody will suspect a thing, unless they look at our respective profiles and notice we've been consistently interacting since about July or earlier haha. :lol:

Off to write that Wolf Among Us review, before I put it off for one more day.

Yes well that's why I'm not asking you to vote for me, or to even vote at all lol I just thought you would like to see the thread and have interest considering we have discussed the guide and how you might use that as a 'guide' for if you ever decide to write a guide for yourself (How many times can I say guide in the same sentence lol) so yeah. Seeing the quality of all the guides is quite something honestly.

The Wolf Among Us, now that was a good game. Up there with The Walking Dead Telltale games for me.

8 hours ago, Shrooba said:

Just popped into the votes, your guide was fantastic and is awesome for those new to the Sonic series since Colours is a good entry game! ? Not sure if I've already said, but I like how you went the extra mile and went into good detail explaining even the different items and whatnot, with a plethora of images to guide the player. Well done!

Yeah you did, but thanks anyways! Really appreciate your positive feedback like I've said before. All those guides are such great quality aren't they? Fantastic what this community can achieve.

BTW, just noticed your completion percentate, that's insane! Kudos!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

You know I think the Pool mini-game from San Andreas actually functions slightly better than this one does, and that's pretty messy, and like one of the least important components of an absolutely huge game. But it still isn't offensively bad like Yakuza's Pool is.

It's funny, the San Andreas pool game is such a textbook example of acceptable at best that I never really bothered to rate it! Now I wanna see what other games have pool mini-games and see how they rate!

He's not meant to be drunk in the story 1f606.png..... I just rocked up having pounded a load of expensive whiskey at the local bar - so the icon on the screen was telling me I was hammered.... Oooooops. :lol:

Ehhh if I was responsible for the welfare of a bunch of orphans, I'd probably indulge in as much expensive whiskey as I possibly could, so definitely no judgement there?

So if writing The Wolf Among Us review after this post can get my writing arm going a bit, then if all goes to plan I'm hoping to get the Yakuza Kiwami review out on Sunday,no promises though, but that's when I'd like to get it done.

About it?

I was struggling with Vampyr when I wrote mine too - because there's so many glaring unavoidable technical issues going on that can completely destroy the fun with that game.

It's a weird one - one of those where I really desperately want to like it more than I actually do - then when it comes to writing a review of it you end up feeling like you've been overly negative. I'm sure you know what I mean.

I totally get it. I liked Vampyr, but I can't help feeling that it had everything it needed to be a great game, yet still came out as just good. And the crashes certainly didn't help! I don't remember getting them as often as a lot of other people who talk about that with the game, but it most definitely was a thing!

That's my thing too yeah - I did single out the two I think I'm going to swap out - I just don't know what I'm going to swap them with yet. I'm thinking one should Medievil because that's at least short-ish and I've never played that first game, yet I've wanted to for the longest time. I'm not sure about the other thing though - maybe something point-and-clicky been at least a month since I last played one with trophies.

Yes, play Medievil! We can put our reviews out at around the same time! Medievil twinsies yo!!

Seriously though, I had the benefit of nostalgia having played it during its first go around, but I've always found it a very charming game. It's not perfect of course, but the vibe is cool, the music is solid, and it's fairly short.

Well....... Take my advice and don't purchase the Gamecube just to play that game.......  You'll soon end up realising that there are an absolute mountainous amount of awesome games on that console and The Twin Snakes is not one of them 1f606.png

I donated my game cube to the "give my mother something fun to do" fund. Sidenote: she's one of my favorite things about the Resident Evil franchise, my mother loved watching me play the those games way back when, and it actually turned her into a bit of a gamer herself - she even beat Res 4 before I did?

Yeah, nuts to that. I'm perfectly happy with my PS1 MGS experience, thankyouverymuch!

I'm hoping at the end of this year that I'll have to get creative and won't have quite such a list to pull from for crap games,so I'll have to create new categories - I didn't exactly play loads of bad ones last year, but the bad ones were REALLY bad.... There wasn't much middle ground there haha :lol:

Yo after doing that, I'm in the same boat, I'm looking forward to the end of the year so that I can try and get creative with categories and stuff like that... I'm already like "will Manny Calavera end up a nominee for best protagonist??"

We do have our fun?

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

It's funny, the San Andreas pool game is such a textbook example of acceptable at best that I never really bothered to rate it! Now I wanna see what other games have pool mini-games and see how they rate!

@rjkclarke I second this… you should do a whole project, reviewing every pool and snooker minigame in the medium and cataloguing them… like this guy did for videogame soda machines, but for cue-sports!?

https://vgsmproject.com/

• Like 3

On 08/01/2022 at 0:19 AM, Shrooba said:

This is what gaming should be all about! Gaming first, trophy hunting second, as KindaSabbath told me once. If you feel that you want to do more beyond the platinum, then go for it! 1f4aa.png From what I can tell, the Yakuza games are like that of Persona, in that they take a loooong time to finish. So with that, I can already tell there's a ton of content that the platinum doesn't ask for. Good luck on your journey

Absolutely! I will always be a gamer first before being a trophy hunter - and a platinum shouldn't be the thing that stops me playing a game if I'm still having fun with it. I mean the extra time for 100%   literally turns Yakuza 6 from being a pretty snappy (by Yakuza's standards) 40 hour platinum.... Into one that ends up taking about sixty plus hours, so pretty significant difference.

You would be right!  if I had to guess there's at least 15 hours worth of extra content to be done in Yakuza 3, we'll see it's hard to tell really. The hostess dating mini-game always feels longer than it actually is though, so perhaps that just feels longer.

15 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Oh yeah absolutely. God of War series as a whole is one I've not played at all. Considered playing the 2018 one especially with having it through PS Plus (unless I'm making that one up lol) but yeah, you know the backlog story lol

I don't think it's been given away via plus..... If it has then I'm really bummed out that I missed it because I actually bought God of War (2018) about six months ago - you never know though. I have a feeling it's part of the line up for the PS5 plus collection though - so you could always hold off until you have that available to you.

Well that's good of them and how things such be done. Sadly with Cyberpunk, all I hear after their screwup is a roadmap for a roadmap and everything gets delayed and the game is still unplayable on a PS4? That's just lame

I'm not really sure on that one to be honest... I was never onboard the Cyberpunk hype train anyway. I just wasn't that fussed. I actually quite like Cyberpunk as a setting and a story basis too. CDPR's Cyberpunk just never really grabbed me, so I wasn't sitting there weeping that it was a broken mess. Some of my friends were pretty gutted and I feel bad for them, but thankfully that was some hype I managed to avoid buying into.

Oh yeah of course lol I forget about the mobile port part of it. GTA Online is definitely a cashcow that's for sure. GTAV from a guy who has never played it, I just find it hilarious like Skyrim, constantly releasing. Maybe I'll play it on the PS6 hahaha

I've heard GTAIV is the dark horse of the GTA franchise.

Haha! Yeah, well you can be pretty sure that there will be a PS6 release of GTAV. So I'm sure you'll still have a chance to play it ?

That is one of the few times that I just played the games story, and then pretty much never went back to it. If it was a choice between re-playing GTAIV or GTAV then IV would win every single time. I really just don't understand why everyone loves that game as much as they do.

But then I also like Oblivion more than I like Skyrim so it's very much a personal preference thing I suppose, I'd never say Skyrim or GTAV were bad, I'm just not in love with them the same way a lot of folks are.

Sadly I doubt that will happen with Ubisoft having that Ubisoft Plus service. Its going to Xbox soon and then probably PS like EA Play did. Would be very cool though.

Yeah I remember the Darksiders ones coming free on PS Plus, was going to start playing those but again backlog. Put me off though they looked interesting. 

Oh yeah - you know I'd completely forgotten that that was a thing until you mentioned it.

There's still time to give The Darksiders Series a go - I think that series is great for what it is. They aren't really too long either, there are definitely far worse things you could put on your list, so don't rule them out.

Ah man thats a real shame. Yeah I was relatively speaking late to the PS+ party, only starting on PS4 so I missed out on a lot of vita and ps3 games that would have been quality to have.

Oh Dear..... Silly us, you and me both on that one!

I didn't sign up to it until I had a PS4 either..... That was only because you couldn't play online without it. Back before that I used to just think well so what if they gave that game away free, I can just buy it physically anyway.......

...... What a naive fool I was haha! ?

Well there you go, something new for you lol not quite as epic as FFIX but yeah lol 

For me, that's the one I had and grew up with so it's normal and that's why I had to rebuy that one for the collection. I had friends who had the normal grey one, but for me it has to be the yellow one. Partly due to that better aesthetic.

Well - that's going to take some beating to be honest - but hey if something new to me comes along that can, I'm all for it.

That's a fair point yeah

- I think if I was going to rebuy a Gameboy Colour it'd have to be one of those see through ones that they did, where you could see all the internals. I never had one of those, but I always thought they looked really cool

51PMPJ756QL._AC_.jpg

These ones haha! :lol:

O yes Stadium was the N64 one. Can you tell I've hardly ever owned any Nintendo consoles? lol Pokemon as a franchise is so expensive, for me I've got the original lineup in Pop form, and I want Pokemon Blue and that's it. Rather put my money into getting FF, RE and Sonic stuff for one.

I haven't owned that many Nintendo consoles to be fair - I checked out after the Gamecube haha.

What you have all 151 in Pop form? That must have cost an absolute fortune ?

Nevermind buying rare FF, RE and Sonic stuff you probably could have purchased Square Enix for the amount it cost to buy all those Pop figures!

Yes well that's why I'm not asking you to vote for me, or to even vote at all lol I just thought you would like to see the thread and have interest considering we have discussed the guide and how you might use that as a 'guide' for if you ever decide to write a guide for yourself (How many times can I say guide in the same sentence lol) so yeah. Seeing the quality of all the guides is quite something honestly.

The Wolf Among Us, now that was a good game. Up there with The Walking Dead Telltale games for me.

That is a lot of guides ?

I will definitely try and make a point to do it, I just haven't yet. I'm glad Shrooba has though - so I need to get my backside in gear and do it.

Yes! Wolf Among Us was awesome. Probably my second favourite Telltale game, only second to Tales from the Borderlands for me. I've never played The Walking Dead ones, actually might have played a bit of one on the 360 years ago.  I haven't read the graphic novels, or seen a single episode of the TV show, so I've never really had the interest - but I've heard good things about those ones.

I'll post the review for it once I've written this post - I actually meant to post it last night, but I kind of forgot and fell asleep watching something on YouTube instead, because I'm 61 instead of 31 apparently :lol:

4 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

4 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

@rjkclarke I second this… you should do a whole project, reviewing every pool and snooker minigame in the medium and cataloguing them… like this guy did for videogame soda machines, but for cue-sports!?

https://vgsmproject.com/

Haha! You two might be on to something there, that could be a silly and fun little side series actually - or it'd give me an excuse to actually open up the Bobert's Billiards Bonanza checklist I joked about a while ago where I talk about Cue sports games and nothing else haha ?

I know what would be ranking the lowest right now - and that'd probably be Yakuza 3. Although the Pool is better in other games, so I'd have to be fair and rank each instance obviously.

Also that thing cataloguing all the soda machines is awesome - but also wtf at there being a point-and-click adventure game based on the Beverley Hillbilly's  that is absolutely bizarre.

I totally get it. I liked Vampyr, but I can't help feeling that it had everything it needed to be a great game, yet still came out as just good. And the crashes certainly didn't help! I don't remember getting them as often as a lot of other people who talk about that with the game, but it most definitely was a thing!

I know. That was kind of how I felt about it..... It could have been so much more, and it almost was.

Sounds like you got off lightly with avoiding those crashes, because I sure didn't - I was getting them so frequently it was starting to really test my patience towards the end.

Gimme a Vampyr 2 where Lady Ashbury is the protagonist, that runs nice and smooth and I'll be a happy person - I guess if it has to have Jonathan in it. I guess I'll play as him too.

Yes, play Medievil! We can put our reviews out at around the same time! Medievil twinsies yo!!

Seriously though, I had the benefit of nostalgia having played it during its first go around, but I've always found it a very charming game. It's not perfect of course, but the vibe is cool, the music is solid, and it's fairly short.

Yes! We might even get them out the exact same minute, like when Doc and I somehow managed to get our reviews of Afterparty out at the exact same minute. I still think that's hilarious how that ended up happening. 

I mean - even if I don't enjoy it as much as I expect to, I'm still going to be getting to hear one of my favourite Actors give what I've heard is a very good performance, that I've never heard before.... I think I'll definitely enjoy it on some level just because of Paul Darrows involvement in it.

So yes! That settles it, one of the swaps will be Medievil. I'm sold!

I donated my game cube to the "give my mother something fun to do" fund. Sidenote: she's one of my favorite things about the Resident Evil franchise, my mother loved watching me play the those games way back when, and it actually turned her into a bit of a gamer herself - she even beat Res 4 before I did?

Yeah, nuts to that. I'm perfectly happy with my PS1 MGS experience, thankyouverymuch!

That's awesome! My Mum is very much not the gaming type, I think even watching me play them when I was younger was a chore for her..... I love the fact you managed to turn your Mother into a bit of a gamer though.   Did she also hate Ashley as much as everyone else seems to? ?

The Twin Snakes is basically just MGS1 if it had the first person camera gun aiming switch from MGS2. Which is fine, but it makes the game too easy, because it wasn't designed with that in mind, so all of those tight corridors can be negated by just staying out of a genome soldiers vision cone and tranquillising them. It ends up being just a bit joyless because of that. So yes stick with the PS1 on this one I think! Smart choice ?

Yo after doing that, I'm in the same boat, I'm looking forward to the end of the year so that I can try and get creative with categories and stuff like that... I'm already like "will Manny Calavera end up a nominee for best protagonist??"

We do have our fun?

I hope he does! I think you'll really dig Grim Fandango - that's a real powerhouse point-and-clicker that one!.

Whatever year it was that I replayed Grim Fandango for trophies he would probably have made my list of protagonists, and I might have had to either do another Whatever the hell you are award, or just invent one for I don't know "Best Side-kick" or something because I'd have to give one to Glottis because he cracks me up so much!

I've got a ready made excuse for Kiryu to appear there now that I'm playing Yakuza 3.... So I'll be surprised if he doesn't show up.

I guess I'd better stick that Wolf Among Us review up before I forget to put it in here.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I don't think it's been given away via plus..... If it has then I'm really bummed out that I missed it because I actually bought God of War (2018) about six months ago - you never know though. I have a feeling it's part of the line up for the PS5 plus collection though - so you could always hold off until you have that available to you.

I'm probably making that one up then, or confusing it with the free one they gave for PS3 that one time lol Oh yeah it could be actually. I wonder what they are going to do with that PS Plus collection once they (rumours suggest) revamp the whole PS Plus and PS Now situation. Hopefully FFXV will still be there as I wanted access to all that DLC....

I'm not really sure on that one to be honest... I was never onboard the Cyberpunk hype train anyway. I just wasn't that fussed. I actually quite like Cyberpunk as a setting and a story basis too. CDPR's Cyberpunk just never really grabbed me, so I wasn't sitting there weeping that it was a broken mess. Some of my friends were pretty gutted and I feel bad for them, but thankfully that was some hype I managed to avoid buying into.

Cyberpunk's setting etc. looks really interesting to me too. Glad you managed to avoid getting burned by that whole fiasco.

Haha! Yeah, well you can be pretty sure that there will be a PS6 release of GTAV. So I'm sure you'll still have a chance to play it 1f606.png

That is one of the few times that I just played the games story, and then pretty much never went back to it. If it was a choice between re-playing GTAIV or GTAV then IV would win every single time. I really just don't understand why everyone loves that game as much as they do.

But then I also like Oblivion more than I like Skyrim so it's very much a personal preference thing I suppose, I'd never say Skyrim or GTAV were bad, I'm just not in love with them the same way a lot of folks are.

Haha, that would be hilarious in one way and just plain sad in another. Will we do this with all games from now on lol

Well having not played a GTA since the OG PS1 version, I'll just take your opinion as gospel that IV is better than V, although I know that doesn't seem to be the general consensus. Doesn't mean the general consensus is always right of course.

Oblivion I put a fair few hours into on the PS3 back in the day, but then I lost my save and well, that was the end of that. Enjoyed it though I gotta say. Skyrim I haven't played.

Oh yeah - you know I'd completely forgotten that that was a thing until you mentioned it.

There's still time to give The Darksiders Series a go - I think that series is great for what it is. They aren't really too long either, there are definitely far worse things you could put on your list, so don't rule them out.

Oh I won't rule them out certainly. Especially with number 2 was it (?) being free on PS Plus.

Oh Dear..... Silly us, you and me both on that one!

I didn't sign up to it until I had a PS4 either..... That was only because you couldn't play online without it. Back before that I used to just think well so what if they gave that game away free, I can just buy it physically anyway.......

...... What a naive fool I was haha! 1f602.png

Haha well we are naive fools together lol I thought the same way. "Don't need PS Plus as multiplayer is free on PS3, and can get the games physically anyways". Yeah.....

Well - that's going to take some beating to be honest - but hey if something new to me comes along that can, I'm all for it.

That's a fair point yeah

- I think if I was going to rebuy a Gameboy Colour it'd have to be one of those see through ones that they did, where you could see all the internals. I never had one of those, but I always thought they looked really cool

Those Gameboys always looked really cool. To be honest the only two handheld Nintendo's I've ever owned have been the OG GB and the DS Lite. Thankfully that allowed me to play a good amount of quality GBA games, including quality Advance versions of FF IV, V and VI.

I haven't owned that many Nintendo consoles to be fair - I checked out after the Gamecube haha.

What you have all 151 in Pop form? That must have cost an absolute fortune 1f631.png

Nevermind buying rare FF, RE and Sonic stuff you probably could have purchased Square Enix for the amount it cost to buy all those Pop figures!

Well the only other Nintendo console I've ever owned other than the 2 handhelds I mentioned above, was the N64 and that was a long time after it came out. Bought it from Gamestation for around 30quid if I recall correctly. Should have hung on to it. Great games on that system. Super Mario 64, Wave Race 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart 64.

That is a lot of guides 1f609.png

I will definitely try and make a point to do it, I just haven't yet. I'm glad Shrooba has though - so I need to get my backside in gear and do it.

Yes! Wolf Among Us was awesome. Probably my second favourite Telltale game, only second to Tales from the Borderlands for me. I've never played The Walking Dead ones, actually might have played a bit of one on the 360 years ago.  I haven't read the graphic novels, or seen a single episode of the TV show, so I've never really had the interest - but I've heard good things about those ones.

I'll post the review for it once I've written this post - I actually meant to post it last night, but I kind of forgot and fell asleep watching something on YouTube instead, because I'm 61 instead of 31 apparently :lol:

Yes there is a lot of guides there lol all quality. 

I really appreciated @Shrooba voting for me like I appreciate anyone doing so. :) Can't believe I've recieved as many votes as I have at the moment tbh. Very grateful.

Tales from the Borderlands I liked overall, but because I've never played a Borderlands game otherwise, some of the humour and context was lost to me so it didn't resonate like Batman, TWD, GotG etc and Wolf Among Us I just got into more in comparison. The comics I haven't read, the Telltale games I would highly recommend you play, really good story overall with a pretty satisfying conclusion. The TV show was great at the start and was great for a while, but in the end me and my wife gave up with it halfway through season 7 or 8 I think it was. Became almost like a slog to get through. Shame. Just our opinion.

I've seen you've written the review for Wolf Among Us, I'll make sure to read it after this!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Don’t know what’s been in the water of late - some fairydust or something - but a lot of Wolf Among Us being played and reviewed among the ol’ Checklist Posse 1f602.png

Funny that, isn't it - that about three of them all appeared at once.... I think.... yes, maybe go with fairydust..... Definitely not crack ?It exposes how much I've been slacking, what with Copanele getting his review out before me :facepalm:..... I literally finished it in 2021, so it took me almost nine days to get it written. Filthy slacker!

17 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Great review here - read it back to back with @YaManSmevz’s (also great!) one…

…then immediately went and read 2 issues of Fables 1f601.png

(I’m currently re-reading the whole thing for like the fifth time…

…It’s my life and I can waste it how I want! YOU’RE NOT MY REAL MOM!”)

Glad you liked - and absolutely check out Fables if the premise appeals - I like TWAU, but it only scratches the surface of how clever the comics get with the fairytale stuff!

Thanks Doc!

Talking of wasting lives :lol:..... The Masters starts this week - so if you want to relive any of  those cosy childhood Snooker memories, it's on from today until next Sunday if you get a moment free to give it a look.  I'm sure I'll find myself dragged away from various bits and pieces to see some Snooker!

I'm glad I liked it too - especially as I'm always a little apprehensive when it comes to Telltale games. So I wasn't certain that I would.  I'm very much in the camp that I preferred Telltale when their output was a little more gamified. If Tales of Monkey Island was like the latter fare from Telltale, I think I would of hated it. I want to choose when I use my rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle, not when a button prompt comes up nudging me in that direction.

I can get onboard with the whole interactive experience thing, but sometimes Telltale games are just a little too on rails for me sometimes if that makes sense.

I will be checking out Fables at some point too - especially if TWAU only really scratches the surface. I want to see the version of Beast that isn't the only word that this site censors.... Because boy was he one in this game!

9 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

I'm probably making that one up then, or confusing it with the free one they gave for PS3 that one time lol Oh yeah it could be actually. I wonder what they are going to do with that PS Plus collection once they (rumours suggest) revamp the whole PS Plus and PS Now situation. Hopefully FFXV will still be there as I wanted access to all that DLC....

They did give away God of War III Remastered - so there is a good chance you're thinking of that one. If you've never played them though you could always pick up some copies of the two PS3 HD Collections - you can still get them for half decent prices. The games are short too, so you can't fall back on the "I have no time to play it" thing with those ones ?

I guess if for some reason they changed that PS Plus collection you could still just buy the DLC for FFXV - it's usually always on offer for a decent price. I still need to buy the Royal Edition Upgrade myself, but I don't actually really want to play it, so I keep just not bothering. 

I wouldn't mind if they merged PSNow and PSPlus - the only thing I really want from PSNow is the ability to download the PS3 titles, but I totally understand why you can't, but having to have stable internet is a real problem for me, as mine sucks. Guess that'll teach me for going with TalkTalk :facepalm:

Haha, that would be hilarious in one way and just plain sad in another. Will we do this with all games from now on lol

It might be heading that way yeah - just a cycle of remasters and re-releases - I guess a lot of the bigger game developers/publishers are falling into the same trap as modern Hollywood where original ideas are becoming an increasingly alien concept.

Thank goodness for the absolute plethora of awesome indie developers that are still producing amazing original stories and experiences.

Well having not played a GTA since the OG PS1 version, I'll just take your opinion as gospel that IV is better than V, although I know that doesn't seem to be the general consensus. Doesn't mean the general consensus is always right of course.

I don't know that I'd say GTAIV is better - I just prefer it...... Something about GTAV really rubbed me the wrong way - there's a very specific torture scene which I thought was really unnecessary, and it just felt like Rockstar being controversial just for the sake of being controversial. That and all the other little nagging things I have with it kind of just hampered the whole experience for me a little bit.

Did you ever buy the PS2 versions before they got delisted? Because if your only exposure to GTA was in the PS1 games then there are three really awesome games that you absolutely should get around to playing. Screw the Definitive Demastered  Edition, but if you have access to those originals you should really give them a go at some point even if it's  just experiencing the story that they have to offer. Moreso in Vice City and San Andreas as GTAIII's plot is thinner than Hulk Hogans hair.

10 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Oblivion I put a fair few hours into on the PS3 back in the day, but then I lost my save and well, that was the end of that. Enjoyed it though I gotta say. Skyrim I haven't played.

Skyrim is really good too - I just ever so slightly prefer the atmosphere in Oblivion..... Makes me really sad that it doesn't have any trophies in it. We can't have everything haha - we can have a million versions of Skyrim but not a single instance of Oblivion with trophies.

Oh I won't rule them out certainly. Especially with number 2 was it (?) being free on PS Plus.

Definitely Darksiders II and III were given away free. The first one might have been too - I mean you could probably just start with II as the three numbered games all take place concurrently anyway, so it isn't like they directly lead into each other or anything, so it might be worth giving them a look at some point if you have a less busy backlog.

"Don't need PS Plus as multiplayer is free on PS3, and can get the games physically anyways". Yeah.....

Yep, yep!...... Nowadays I'll just add it to my library regardless even if I never plan to actually play it - I figure something might change my mind about it in the future. That's how I ended up playing Stranded Deep after all.  In a way I should always have done that with PS+ because I know for a fact I missed out on quite a few really awesome games as a result, especially in the PS3 days - like some really good indie titles that I think have been delisted now, and things like that.

You live and learn and all that :lol:

Those Gameboys always looked really cool. To be honest the only two handheld Nintendo's I've ever owned have been the OG GB and the DS Lite. Thankfully that allowed me to play a good amount of quality GBA games, including quality Advance versions of FF IV, V and VI.

That's quite a leap going from the original Gameboy to the DS - I think I had all of the Nintendo handhelds up until the DS and then I was fixated on other things by that point,

I didn't know there was advance games of IV,V and VI..... I might have to track down that of FFIV because I've never played that one, but always wanted to. Thanks for the inadvertent heads up.

Well the only other Nintendo console I've ever owned other than the 2 handhelds I mentioned above, was the N64 and that was a long time after it came out. Bought it from Gamestation for around 30quid if I recall correctly. Should have hung on to it. Great games on that system. Super Mario 64, Wave Race 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart 64.

There was a brief period about 2010-ish where you seemed to be able to get a lot of Nintendo consoles/accessories for offensively low amounts of money. I literally bought my Gamecube for £12 from Ebay - it came with 2 Controllers, 2 Memory Cards and 2 games......  Crazy.

I still own most of those N64 games - but not the boxes or manuals, so if I wanted to sell them I'd be a bit screwed by the price I'd get. How come you got rid of your N64 was it just to make more space or something, thought you would have held on to that being a bit of a collector and all.

Tales from the Borderlands I liked overall, but because I've never played a Borderlands game otherwise, some of the humour and context was lost to me so it didn't resonate like Batman, TWD, GotG etc and Wolf Among Us I just got into more in comparison. The comics I haven't read, the Telltale games I would highly recommend you play, really good story overall with a pretty satisfying conclusion. The TV show was great at the start and was great for a while, but in the end me and my wife gave up with it halfway through season 7 or 8 I think it was. Became almost like a slog to get through. Shame. Just our opinion.

I'll try and make a point of voting for your guide later on!

I really liked the Telltale Batman games. I think they did some really interesting and very different things with a few of the more established DC characters. I thought what they did with The Riddler in particular was such an interesting subversion of what you'd expect from that character. 

I had heard some pretty similar things regarding The Walking Dead TV series.

I'm kind of on the fence about the game version - there's so many of them, and as I tend to have to be really in the mood to play Telltale games, it would probably take me the next ten years to just get through the ones that exist ?

Tales from the Borderlands almost perfectly captures the atmosphere of the games..... It feels like a worthy and necessary part of the series, and I believe it does play into Borderlands 3 a little bit too - but I guess I'll find that out when I eventually get it when I get my paws on a PS5.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Funny that, isn't it - that about three of them all appeared at once.... I think.... yes, maybe go with fairydust..... Definitely not crack 1f602.pngIt exposes how much I've been slacking, what with Copanele getting his review out before me :facepalm:..... I literally finished it in 2021, so it took me almost nine days to get it written. Filthy slacker!

Hah you snooze you lose xD But honestly I had to rush with MY review because I wanted to have everything fresh in my mind just in case. 

But really, this has been some magic fairdust lately. 

So...gents...what are we gonna play next? ?

23 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

I will be checking out Fables at some point too - especially if TWAU only really scratches the surface. I want to see the version of Beast that isn't the only word that this site censors.... Because boy was he one in this game!

You will have quite the experience should you go for Fables xD although, I don't think Telltale games would be able to fully adapt the series, given how some characters are in the comics. Unless they want another bankrupcy speedrun on their hand xD 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Copanele said:

Hah you snooze you lose xD But honestly I had to rush with MY review because I wanted to have everything fresh in my mind just in case. 

But really, this has been some magic fairdust lately. 

So...gents...what are we gonna play next? 1f602.png

I get that - especially with The Wolf Among Us being basically just story and nothing else.

Funnily enough you mention that, a combination of us could all be playing Yakuza at a possible crossover - I know Smevz has Yakuza 0 on the backburner, you have Dead Souls and 4 to play at some point, whilst I have 3 to get through - so it's possible we all get Yakuza reviews out at a similar time.

Although we'll see on that one - I don't think Yakuza 3 will keep me busy for much more than about a week longer, so long as I can get nab some of that precious gaming time. Or I end up being really bad at Baseball, but we'll see.

1 hour ago, Copanele said:

You will have quite the experience should you go for Fables xD although, I don't think Telltale games would be able to fully adapt the series, given how some characters are in the comics. Unless they want another bankrupcy speedrun on their hand xD 

I look forward to it! I guess they'll just cut out the things they think they can't quite adapt, or do what The original game did and turn another character like Beast into a nutbag in the second one - whatever happens they have the impossible task of not being able to please every single person.

Telltale and money worries go together almost as fittingly as Kiryu and Tiger Drops, Gothic and Diego that kind of thing.

To be honest if they do manage to get The Wolf Among Us 2 out it will be guaranteed money for them. When I was listening to some of the OST whilst writing my review there were so many YouTube comments I saw, that said that The Wolf Among Us was one of the few things better than its source material. I haven't even read the source material and that is already an opinion I don't share, just from you and Doc's enjoyment of Fables.

So  Telltales version has its fans by the looks of it, so maybe all those folks will buy it a couple of times. Who knows :dunno:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

They did give away God of War III Remastered - so there is a good chance you're thinking of that one. If you've never played them though you could always pick up some copies of the two PS3 HD Collections - you can still get them for half decent prices. The games are short too, so you can't fall back on the "I have no time to play it" thing with those ones 1f602.png

I guess if for some reason they changed that PS Plus collection you could still just buy the DLC for FFXV - it's usually always on offer for a decent price. I still need to buy the Royal Edition Upgrade myself, but I don't actually really want to play it, so I keep just not bothering. 

I wouldn't mind if they merged PSNow and PSPlus - the only thing I really want from PSNow is the ability to download the PS3 titles, but I totally understand why you can't, but having to have stable internet is a real problem for me, as mine sucks. Guess that'll teach me for going with TalkTalk :facepalm:

O true they did. I was thinking about Ascension on the PS3. Bad memory lol Haha I should really give those a go at some point.

Yeah that's also true, and I probably would eventually at the right price, but to be able to get most of it for free right now (if only I had a PS5) would be very cool.

Ah yes not having stable internet is a right pain in the....well you know lol Yeah they'll never let you download the PS3 games, but Sony could definitely revamp the whole thing and offer a better service overall.

It might be heading that way yeah - just a cycle of remasters and re-releases - I guess a lot of the bigger game developers/publishers are falling into the same trap as modern Hollywood where original ideas are becoming an increasingly alien concept.

Thank goodness for the absolute plethora of awesome indie developers that are still producing amazing original stories and experiences.

Sadly it is definitely a possibility. HD Remasters etc since the PS3/Vita days have become a lot more common. Developers want that guaranteed easier money to fund other stuff. Full credit to all the indie developers out there definitely.

I don't know that I'd say GTAIV is better - I just prefer it...... Something about GTAV really rubbed me the wrong way - there's a very specific torture scene which I thought was really unnecessary, and it just felt like Rockstar being controversial just for the sake of being controversial. That and all the other little nagging things I have with it kind of just hampered the whole experience for me a little bit.

Did you ever buy the PS2 versions before they got delisted? Because if your only exposure to GTA was in the PS1 games then there are three really awesome games that you absolutely should get around to playing. Screw the Definitive Demastered  Edition, but if you have access to those originals you should really give them a go at some point even if it's  just experiencing the story that they have to offer. Moreso in Vice City and San Andreas as GTAIII's plot is thinner than Hulk Hogans hair.

O ok. A tortune scene? Bit extreme even for a GTA game I'd have thought. 

No I haven't bought them and wouldn't buy the 'Definitive' editions. Not giving Rockstar money for that. Yeah I read an article in the Play magazine recently about GTAIII and how much it set up for Vice City and San Andreas in structure, the worlds and what they could do but even they said the story was not the best.

Nice Hulk Hogan reference haha

Skyrim is really good too - I just ever so slightly prefer the atmosphere in Oblivion..... Makes me really sad that it doesn't have any trophies in it. We can't have everything haha - we can have a million versions of Skyrim but not a single instance of Oblivion with trophies.

Yeah I know. It's a pity I put all that time into Oblivion and have no trophies to show for it. Some others would say that me saying that is sad though lol 

Definitely Darksiders II and III were given away free. The first one might have been too - I mean you could probably just start with II as the three numbered games all take place concurrently anyway, so it isn't like they directly lead into each other or anything, so it might be worth giving them a look at some point if you have a less busy backlog.

O they do? I didn't realise that. Thanks for the info!

Yep, yep!...... Nowadays I'll just add it to my library regardless even if I never plan to actually play it - I figure something might change my mind about it in the future. That's how I ended up playing Stranded Deep after all.  In a way I should always have done that with PS+ because I know for a fact I missed out on quite a few really awesome games as a result, especially in the PS3 days - like some really good indie titles that I think have been delisted now, and things like that.

You live and learn and all that :lol:

Yes I do the exact same thing. Most games I know I'll never get around to playing, but still they always get added to the library. No point in not doing it lol

Yep definitely, live and learn lol

That's quite a leap going from the original Gameboy to the DS - I think I had all of the Nintendo handhelds up until the DS and then I was fixated on other things by that point,

I didn't know there was advance games of IV,V and VI..... I might have to track down that of FFIV because I've never played that one, but always wanted to. Thanks for the inadvertent heads up.

Yeah it was but I've never been much of a Nintendo person personally even though I've enjoyed Pokemon, Mario, Donkey Kong etc in the past. 

You've never played FFIV?! OMG we gotta start a new crusade like with FFIX where you have to play FFIV. A quality title with some fantastic music. The world theme is one I can listen to for ages lol The Advance version is a great one too.

There was a brief period about 2010-ish where you seemed to be able to get a lot of Nintendo consoles/accessories for offensively low amounts of money. I literally bought my Gamecube for £12 from Ebay - it came with 2 Controllers, 2 Memory Cards and 2 games......  Crazy.

I still own most of those N64 games - but not the boxes or manuals, so if I wanted to sell them I'd be a bit screwed by the price I'd get. How come you got rid of your N64 was it just to make more space or something, thought you would have held on to that being a bit of a collector and all.

£12 for all of that?

What a bargain.

Of course, you don't realise it then and the companies don't either, how collectable certain things will go and how much prices can change.

I had that N64 a long time ago before I started collected and once I was done with the few games I wanted to play on it, I got rid of it and put it towards something else (can't remember what), so yeha dumb move but didn't realise it at the time lol

I'll try and make a point of voting for your guide later on!

I really liked the Telltale Batman games. I think they did some really interesting and very different things with a few of the more established DC characters. I thought what they did with The Riddler in particular was such an interesting subversion of what you'd expect from that character. 

I had heard some pretty similar things regarding The Walking Dead TV series.

I'm kind of on the fence about the game version - there's so many of them, and as I tend to have to be really in the mood to play Telltale games, it would probably take me the next ten years to just get through the ones that exist 1f606.png

Tales from the Borderlands almost perfectly captures the atmosphere of the games..... It feels like a worthy and necessary part of the series, and I believe it does play into Borderlands 3 a little bit too - but I guess I'll find that out when I eventually get it when I get my paws on a PS5.

As I've said before, that's entirely your choice whether you want to vote for my guide or not ok. ?

Yeah I liked the Telltale Batman games quite a lot too, and I'm not the biggest fan of Batman personally. Enjoyed them for what they were. 

Yeah, for me TWD TV series went on too long.

There are 4 TWD Telltale games. Think a couple where free on PS Plus? Well the whole thing is definitely worth playing. The first one was probably the best of the lot, but still.

Yes although there was the whole voice actor problem with Borderlands 3 I think, but yeah that game reviewed well and I heard Tales was integrated into the franchise well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

O true they did. I was thinking about Ascension on the PS3. Bad memory lol Haha I should really give those a go at some point.

Yeah that's also true, and I probably would eventually at the right price, but to be able to get most of it for free right now (if only I had a PS5) would be very cool.

Ah yes not having stable internet is a right pain in the....well you know lol Yeah they'll never let you download the PS3 games, but Sony could definitely revamp the whole thing and offer a better service overall.

They might have given Ascension away for free as well - but that game is one of the ones you could definitely skip - the other spin-offs I think are very good for what they are, but Ascension just felt like a prequel too far.

I think they'd let us download the PS3 games if technology would allow it, but so far the PS4 or the PS5 won't do it, so we're stuck streaming them. It's better than not being able to play some of those games at all though I suppose.

O ok. A tortune scene? Bit extreme even for a GTA game I'd have thought. 

No I haven't bought them and wouldn't buy the 'Definitive' editions. Not giving Rockstar money for that. Yeah I read an article in the Play magazine recently about GTAIII and how much it set up for Vice City and San Andreas in structure, the worlds and what they could do but even they said the story was not the best.

Yeah it is extreme - I've never felt more like a parent without actually being one, with  that scene!  When one of my fairly young nephews played that scene and thought it was really funny, and cool how you could smash someone's knee caps in, pour petrol on someone and electrocute them......... I was just like..... ?

I'm fine with a bit of ultra violence in the right context - but in GTAV it just felt senseless.

That sounds pretty astute that Play magazine article actually. As a foundation for the other two games, yes GTAIII is actually pretty excellent - as a blueprint it's really good, but it's the one that time definitely hasn't been kindest to.

Yeah I know. It's a pity I put all that time into Oblivion and have no trophies to show for it. Some others would say that me saying that is sad though lol 

You could always fire up an Xbox 360 and get all the achievements if you specifically need something to show for your time commitment to Oblivion :lol:..... Having done it myself back in the day I can safely say that going after all of the achievements is a fun time.

O they do? I didn't realise that. Thanks for the info!

My pleasure! So don't feel too bad about starting them in a fairly random order if you did - the most you'll miss out on is a few references here and there, and the introductions to a few characters. I think you could play them in any order really and still have a good time.

Yeah it was but I've never been much of a Nintendo person personally even though I've enjoyed Pokemon, Mario, Donkey Kong etc in the past. 

You've never played FFIV?! OMG we gotta start a new crusade like with FFIX where you have to play FFIV. A quality title with some fantastic music. The world theme is one I can listen to for ages lol The Advance version is a great one too.

I was very much a Nintendo head when I was young - and then I kind of lost interest a little bit. I like the idea of getting a Switch though at some point, but realistically I doubt I will - sacrifices must be made :lol:

Nope, never played FFIV - I've always wanted to, I just never have. I suppose I could probably play the steam version. I think one of my friends who's also a big Final Fantasy fan was never too keen on it, so I think that put me off a bit. But I ought to give it a shot.

Fantastic music doesn't surprise me though - it's probably harder to find an FF game with a bad soundtrack than it is to find one with a good one..... Those are everywhere haha ?

7 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

£12 for all of that?

What a bargain.

Of course, you don't realise it then and the companies don't either, how collectable certain things will go and how much prices can change.

I had that N64 a long time ago before I started collected and once I was done with the few games I wanted to play on it, I got rid of it and put it towards something else (can't remember what), so yeha dumb move but didn't realise it at the time lol

Yep, yep I got really lucky with that Ebay bundle - nowadays I seem to be a little less fortunate when it comes to Ebay..... Aside from getting a brand new copy of the LEGO Movie 2: Videogame for like £6 but now I've played it I can see why someone would let it go dirt cheap :lol:. You must have had a fair few decent lots go your way from scouring Ebay I would have thought?

I've always kept my N64 fairly close by - even twenty years later I still find myself coming back to WWF No Mercy on occasion - somehow, even now, that game is still one of the best wrestling games of all time, so it's still fun to just have a little blast on that every once in a while.

The problem is I need to get a decent CRT TV to play some of those older consoles on, because playing them on a big TV makes my eyes scream even more than Toad Junior from The Wolf Among Us did. Freaky little peanuthead!

7 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Yeah, for me TWD TV series went on too long.

There are 4 TWD Telltale games. Think a couple where free on PS Plus? Well the whole thing is definitely worth playing. The first one was probably the best of the lot, but still.

Yes although there was the whole voice actor problem with Borderlands 3 I think, but yeah that game reviewed well and I heard Tales was integrated into the franchise well.

I guess I could always pick up that bundle of all of the Walking Dead games if I see it for a price I like - then I can just kind of play them at my own pace. I do think I have one or two via PS+ but that bundle still comes up as buyable for me, so I might have to give it a go.

Oh right yeah - there was all that madness with the voice actor for Claptrap, I totally forgot about all of that stuff with Borderlands 3......  The series creator Randy Pitchford seems like a teeny tiny bit of a cock perhaps - a bit like David Cage - at least if you read into a lot of the information that's floating around on the web he seems that way anyway.

It looks like Snooker might be ending earlyish today - so it looks like I'll have the time to bust out the rest of that Yakuza Kiwami review! Woooo!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

They might have given Ascension away for free as well - but that game is one of the ones you could definitely skip - the other spin-offs I think are very good for what they are, but Ascension just felt like a prequel too far.

I think they'd let us download the PS3 games if technology would allow it, but so far the PS4 or the PS5 won't do it, so we're stuck streaming them. It's better than not being able to play some of those games at all though I suppose.

Fair enough, I won't bother with that one then.

Yeah indeed they would.

Yeah it is extreme - I've never felt more like a parent without actually being one, with  that scene!  When one of my fairly young nephews played that scene and thought it was really funny, and cool how you could smash someone's knee caps in, pour petrol on someone and electrocute them......... I was just like..... 1f631.png

I'm fine with a bit of ultra violence in the right context - but in GTAV it just felt senseless.

That sounds pretty astute that Play magazine article actually. As a foundation for the other two games, yes GTAIII is actually pretty excellent - as a blueprint it's really good, but it's the one that time definitely hasn't been kindest to.

Eeeesssh, yes well there is a reason there is age ratings on games to be fair but yeah.

Yes of course, films, games etc can have ultra violence and it fit with the story and context of that. A tortune scene in a GTA game sounds really out of place.

Yes that is basically what the people they interviewed who worked on the game said. It was needed for the rest of the PS2 GTA's to exist essentially.

You could always fire up an Xbox 360 and get all the achievements if you specifically need something to show for your time commitment to Oblivion :lol:..... Having done it myself back in the day I can safely say that going after all of the achievements is a fun time.

Haha very true. The implementation of trophies was so far behind achievements it was crazy considering how much of a given they are nowadays. Glaf you got all the achievements yourself and yes I had fun too with my playtime. Think Skyrim put me off due to the platinum length and my backlog haha

My pleasure! So don't feel too bad about starting them in a fairly random order if you did - the most you'll miss out on is a few references here and there, and the introductions to a few characters. I think you could play them in any order really and still have a good time.

The Darksiders games do look interesting, so maybe I'll give hte 2nd one a go at some point. It's in the library as I made sure to add it when it was available lol

I wonder if any other game series are like that, it's pretty rare surely?

I was very much a Nintendo head when I was young - and then I kind of lost interest a little bit. I like the idea of getting a Switch though at some point, but realistically I doubt I will - sacrifices must be made :lol:

Nope, never played FFIV - I've always wanted to, I just never have. I suppose I could probably play the steam version. I think one of my friends who's also a big Final Fantasy fan was never too keen on it, so I think that put me off a bit. But I ought to give it a shot.

Fantastic music doesn't surprise me though - it's probably harder to find an FF game with a bad soundtrack than it is to find one with a good one..... Those are everywhere haha 1f606.png

Yes I think a Switch would be a great way to get my 2 daughters into gaming properly in a few years, and the wife would play it too I'm sure. I end up buying Switch games and keeping them sealed as I have not intention of playing them, they are just for the collection lol

Also why being a Sega and Sony guy, FFVII was my first FF.

There are multiple different versions of FFIV technically, but mainly there's the one that is the original or close to it such as FFIV Advance or the Pixel Remaster or the 3D version that released on the Nintendo DS (and also Steam possibly?) Both are great, with obvious differences. You'd enjoy either I'll bet.

I absolutely agree lol Think the spin-offs are where you'd start your search for poorer FF soundtracks.

Yep, yep I got really lucky with that Ebay bundle - nowadays I seem to be a little less fortunate when it comes to Ebay..... Aside from getting a brand new copy of the LEGO Movie 2: Videogame for like £6 but now I've played it I can see why someone would let it go dirt cheap :lol:. You must have had a fair few decent lots go your way from scouring Ebay I would have thought?

I've always kept my N64 fairly close by - even twenty years later I still find myself coming back to WWF No Mercy on occasion - somehow, even now, that game is still one of the best wrestling games of all time, so it's still fun to just have a little blast on that every once in a while.

The problem is I need to get a decent CRT TV to play some of those older consoles on, because playing them on a big TV makes my eyes scream even more than Toad Junior from The Wolf Among Us did. Freaky little peanuthead!

Yes I remember you telling me about the Lego game, still such a cheap price lol Yeah I've done pretty well over the years. One deal that sticks out right now is a near mint copy of Resident Evil Outbreak for the PS2. It was an auction, bid the minimum of 99p with a £1 delivery fee and noone else bid! lol £1.99! Bargain! 

Yes I really enjoyed the Smackdown games on PS2 but I hear a lot of great things about the N64 wrestling games, that they were so much fun. 

lol ah Toad, funky character! Yes will need a proper setup myself for the gaming consoles in the future, when stuff isn't just in boxes.

4 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I guess I could always pick up that bundle of all of the Walking Dead games if I see it for a price I like - then I can just kind of play them at my own pace. I do think I have one or two via PS+ but that bundle still comes up as buyable for me, so I might have to give it a go.

Oh right yeah - there was all that madness with the voice actor for Claptrap, I totally forgot about all of that stuff with Borderlands 3......  The series creator Randy Pitchford seems like a teeny tiny bit of a cock perhaps - a bit like David Cage - at least if you read into a lot of the information that's floating around on the web he seems that way anyway.

It looks like Snooker might be ending earlyish today - so it looks like I'll have the time to bust out the rest of that Yakuza Kiwami review! Woooo!

Oh yeah if that bundle is great then get that, but I'm sure 2 and 3 were on Plus.

Randy Pitchford, yeah doesn't exactly endear him to people does he? lol 

Missed the snooker tbh, try to watch the semis or the final if I can. Looking forward to the next review!

• Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 3:09 PM, rjkclarke said:

The Newest Platinum Among Us

LH7583e9.jpg

Platinum #342

The Wolf Among Us (PS4)

L652796.png

Awesome!!

There's quite a few things you mentioned that I wish I'd thought of, like the music or how they really ran with the episodic structure, I very much enjoyed both as well.

Picsart-22-01-10-12-46-29-973.jpg

Dang.. I'm no good at that. I'll just leave those to Gonzo!

Were you one of the people who refused to pass along Toad Junior's gift for Snow White?

"I just wanted her to have thi-"

"GET AWAY FROM ME PEANUT HEAD!!"

It's okay, you can tell me!

Excellent work as always, my dude?

On 1/9/2022 at 9:48 AM, rjkclarke said:

Funny that, isn't it - that about three of them all appeared at once.... I think.... yes, maybe go with fairydust..... Definitely not crack 1f602.pngIt exposes how much I've been slacking, what with Copanele getting his review out before me :facepalm:..... I literally finished it in 2021, so it took me almost nine days to get it written. Filthy slacker!

You can never discount crack.

Initially I wasn't even going to write one! I found myself a bit intimidated and opted not to, until I thought "what would I even say" and started writing... then before I knew it I'd pretty much set myself on course and thought "here goes nothin I guess.."

I feel you on that. Trevor and a lot of his shenanigans felt like them just trying to be a cool step-dad or something for a certain subset of GTA players... "oh, you don't like the story? You just enjoy killing people? Hey, I get it buddy! We could put the two together, how about that? Pretty cool, right?"

Also IV's story was such an emotional powerhouse, and the characters were largely a real treat to get to know, whereas V pales in comparison with both categories.

????????

I totally forgot they did a Batman series! Between that and Walking Dead, they may make a fan of me yet.

On 1/9/2022 at 11:51 AM, rjkclarke said:

Funnily enough you mention that, a combination of us could all be playing Yakuza at a possible crossover - I know Smevz has Yakuza 0 on the backburner, you have Dead Souls and 4 to play at some point, whilst I have 3 to get through - so it's possible we all get Yakuza reviews out at a similar time.

Although we'll see on that one - I don't think Yakuza 3 will keep me busy for much more than about a week longer, so long as I can get nab some of that precious gaming time. Or I end up being really bad at Baseball, but we'll see.

I plan on putting some more work into Yakuza 0, but I finally started seriously playing Res 5, again, which will be my 46th plat.. and I'm sure you can guess what I'm planning for Platinum #47?

Dude you're gonna plow through Y3 no problem! Excited for your Yakuza reviews bro, 0 was such a good read (well they all are, but you know what I mean) and I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the kiwamis!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YaManSmevz said:

You're good at them, I laughed!

Trevor and a lot of his shenanigans felt like them just trying to be a cool step-dad or something for a certain subset of GTA players

I think most GTA players enjoyed the shenanigans and that you guys/the critiquing monority that lives here in the checklist sphere are the subset that want meaningful stories. That game prints money, and it's not all because of the online component.

I totally forgot they did a Batman series! Between that and Walking Dead, they may make a fan of me yet.

Yes they did. As someone who has played at least a handful of Telltale games in their early trophy hunting days (TWAU, Back to the Future, Game of Thrones, Batman and Tales from the Borderlands), I can guarantee a pretty negative review of most of them in the next month or so. I'd just stick to TWAU, really.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Eeeesssh, yes well there is a reason there is age ratings on games to be fair but yeah.

Yes of course, films, games etc can have ultra violence and it fit with the story and context of that. A tortune scene in a GTA game sounds really out of place.

I suppose that's true - but then an 18 rated game perhaps when you or I were a little younger is not the same as it is now (in most cases anyway). The ability to have higher fidelity graphics nowadays does kind of make some of those 18 ratings just a little more valid in some cases.

I'm the last person to throw out the whole "GTA IS  JUST A MURDER SIMULATOR" thing, but that torture scene is definitely playing up to that specific image that the media has of the GTA games. 

As Eric Bischoff always used to say Controversy Creates Cash.

Yes that is basically what the people they interviewed who worked on the game said. It was needed for the rest of the PS2 GTA's to exist essentially.

Now people can use the Definitive Editions as a blueprint of how to fail miserably - and use it as a teaching tool to avoid failure in the future. :lol:

Haha very true. The implementation of trophies was so far behind achievements it was crazy considering how much of a given they are nowadays. Glaf you got all the achievements yourself and yes I had fun too with my playtime. Think Skyrim put me off due to the platinum length and my backlog haha

Yet somehow Nintendo still haven't jumped aboard the whole "Digital icons as a pat on the back/reward" kind of thing yet.

I don't think Skyrim is actually as time intensive a platinum as you might think it is. I actually think that's on the shorter side as far as big RPG's go. There are a boat load of things you could do in that game that don't relate to trophies in any way - I always found that was one of the best games to just play without trophies being at the front of your mind for the duration.

I wonder if any other game series are like that, it's pretty rare surely?

I can only think of one off the top of my head - and that's the Legacy of Kain series, and only really in the sense that from what I remember all of the events of Blood Omen 2 are happening concurrently with Soul Reaver 2's - but it's a more complex kind of thing to do with alternate timelines and dimensions that's never really made explicitly clear what's going on.

Yes I think a Switch would be a great way to get my 2 daughters into gaming properly in a few years, and the wife would play it too I'm sure. I end up buying Switch games and keeping them sealed as I have not intention of playing them, they are just for the collection lol

Good idea - then they can play black and white Pokemon on your giant yellow Gameboy. Seems like you need to make an urgent purchase of a switch to me!

There are multiple different versions of FFIV technically, but mainly there's the one that is the original or close to it such as FFIV Advance or the Pixel Remaster or the 3D version that released on the Nintendo DS (and also Steam possibly?) Both are great, with obvious differences. You'd enjoy either I'll bet.

I absolutely agree lol Think the spin-offs are where you'd start your search for poorer FF soundtracks.

Those are actually one of the reasons I've never really dabbled with IV - knowing exactly which version to play.

I'm fairly sure that it was the 3D one that one of my friends couldn't quite get along with. So perhaps that would be the one to avoid.

You'd think that about the spinoffs - and then Final Fantasy Type - 0 would go and prove that wrong - because that has got some very good musical pieces in it - some iffy ones too. Ones  that don't feel like they belong in Final Fantasy, but there's some good there too. I ought to get World of Final Fantasy really find out if that has a bumflap of a soundtrack. 

Yes I remember you telling me about the Lego game, still such a cheap price lol Yeah I've done pretty well over the years. One deal that sticks out right now is a near mint copy of Resident Evil Outbreak for the PS2. It was an auction, bid the minimum of 99p with a £1 delivery fee and noone else bid! lol £1.99! Bargain! 

That is pretty much a steal yeah - I love it when that occasionally happens - although those kind of purchases can kind of build up. That's how I ended up getting the platinum in Assassin's Creed II last year - I saw it going for like 99P thought, well I don't have it on PS3, won it and was like guess I'm getting the platinum in ACII then haha

I thought Outbreak was popular so I'm quite surprised that nobody bothered with that one.

Yes I really enjoyed the Smackdown games on PS2 but I hear a lot of great things about the N64 wrestling games, that they were so much fun.

Fun - and had a really great customisation system - where because it was pretty rudimentary it was quite easy to make other promotions wrestlers and stuff. You could also take Kanes mask off before he officially did in the old real life wrestling too.

Missed the snooker tbh, try to watch the semis or the final if I can. Looking forward to the next review!

SNOOOKER MUST BE WATCHED AT ALL COSTS!

Well Semis and final - are Saturday and Sunday.....

I'm posting the new review after this.

2 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Awesome!!

There's quite a few things you mentioned that I wish I'd thought of, like the music or how they really ran with the episodic structure, I very much enjoyed both as well.

Cheers Dude!

I don't think you're alone in that, when it comes to things you wish you'd thought of - if I find someone writes a review of a game not long after I play it or around the same time, I almost always find myself going - "Ahh damn, wished I'd mentioned that." Almost but not quite.  

Like when I somehow forgot to mention Wormhorn in any real detail my Afterparty review.

I also found it funny - so you're all good man!

Although you AND Gonzo have me beat on those, so I'll leave those to you guys.

Were you one of the people who refused to pass along Toad Junior's gift for Snow White?

"I just wanted her to have thi-"

"GET AWAY FROM ME PEANUT HEAD!!"

It's okay, you can tell me!

Excellent work as always, my dude1f60e.png

Actually no I let the little freak  guy give his box of toenail clippings to Snow White - actually wasn't it a little insect or something. Either way, I allowed it, I liked him I just didn't like looking at him directly. 

if they had a "GET AWAY FROM ME PEANUT HEAD!" dialogue option ?:lol:, then I totally I would have gone with it - but alas they didn't programme it that deeply.

Thanks man......

I found I was in a similar mindset to you it turns out. Especially when you wrote this....

Initially I wasn't even going to write one! I found myself a bit intimidated and opted not to, until I thought "what would I even say" and started writing... then before I knew it I'd pretty much set myself on course and thought "here goes nothin I guess.."

I was always going to write one - but I was just struggling with where exactly to actually start with it myself - especially as I've got my little no spoilers policy. I didn't really want to go in depth with anything, because really the only sell for the game is the story, so I did feel a bit hamstrung there. 

I feel you on that. Trevor and a lot of his shenanigans felt like them just trying to be a cool step-dad or something for a certain subset of GTA players... "oh, you don't like the story? You just enjoy killing people? Hey, I get it buddy! We could put the two together, how about that? Pretty cool, right?"

That is unfortunately very accurate I think - it's a real shame too.

I'm perfectly at peace with it - if other people get a kick out of that game, that's great - I didn't - I'll just fire up a different game and have my fun with that instead. I;m not asking for a deep or meaningful story from a GTA game -  but I don't know that even GTAV truly knows what it's trying to say with how it approaches certain things :dunno:

Also IV's story was such an emotional powerhouse, and the characters were largely a real treat to get to know, whereas V pales in comparison with both categories.

That wasn't what I expected from GTAIV at all, like I mentioned just above I'm not asking for that going into a GTA game but we kind of did get that with GTAIV I know Nico gets a bit of stick for being a bit dour, but I thought he was really interesting.

I liked the two Telltale Batman games - the second a little more than the first. So definitely consider checking those out if you think you might like those ones.... I can't say either way with Walking Dead, though.

1 hour ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

I can guarantee a pretty negative review of most of them in the next month or so. I'd just stick to TWAU, really.

I can guarantee an absolutely negative one for Game of Thrones from my end. - I know that much, I might put that one out fairly soon myself.

I plan on putting some more work into Yakuza 0, but I finally started seriously playing Res 5, again, which will be my 46th plat.. and I'm sure you can guess what I'm planning for Platinum #471f604.png

Hitman Absolution ?...... It's Hitman Absolution right? Right?;)

I mean it has 47 trophies too - so 47 Trophies Platinum #47 makes sense to me.....

Nah I think I can guess the real answer :lol:

Dude you're gonna plow through Y3 no problem! Excited for your Yakuza reviews bro, 0 was such a good read (well they all are, but you know what I mean) and I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the kiwamis!

I'm chipping away at Yakuza 3 - I wouldn't mind playing a little bit more tonight if I can.  Any progress is good progress.

Big Edit: Also Thanks man! That's real nice of you to say, I really appreciate that - fingers crossed this one won't be a bit of a meandering boring time to read.

I'm going to go and post that Yakuza Kiwami review up now.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

Yes they did. As someone who has played at least a handful of Telltale games in their early trophy hunting days (TWAU, Back to the Future, Game of Thrones, Batman and Tales from the Borderlands), I can guarantee a pretty negative review of most of them in the next month or so. I'd just stick to TWAU, really.

That's a shame. I quite enjoyed them all to be fair. Maybe it was because I had no vested interest in those franchises personally. Each to their own.

14 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I suppose that's true - but then an 18 rated game perhaps when you or I were a little younger is not the same as it is now (in most cases anyway). The ability to have higher fidelity graphics nowadays does kind of make some of those 18 ratings just a little more valid in some cases.

I'm the last person to throw out the whole "GTA IS  JUST A MURDER SIMULATOR" thing, but that torture scene is definitely playing up to that specific image that the media has of the GTA games. 

As Eric Bischoff always used to say Controversy Creates Cash.

That is very true. Comparing GTA 1 with GTA 5 given they are both 18's clearly isn't going to match up on a lot of things. 

Very true that controversy creates cash. Bischoff was one of the masters of that for a time.

15 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Now people can use the Definitive Editions as a blueprint of how to fail miserably - and use it as a teaching tool to avoid failure in the future. :lol:

Haha love it! Hope someone tweeted something similar at their account when it released haha

Yet somehow Nintendo still haven't jumped aboard the whole "Digital icons as a pat on the back/reward" kind of thing yet.

I don't think Skyrim is actually as time intensive a platinum as you might think it is. I actually think that's on the shorter side as far as big RPG's go. There are a boat load of things you could do in that game that don't relate to trophies in any way - I always found that was one of the best games to just play without trophies being at the front of your mind for the duration.

It is surprising to me that Nintendo hasn't implemented their own version of trophies. Can you imagine everyone who would play through and buy Mario, Zelda games etc just to have a shiny Nintendo version of a platinum trophy?

The guide on this site has the platinum length at 125 hours. That's way too much for me. Can only reserve that kind of time on one game for a Final Fantasy. That same kind of length has so far prevented me from buying Dragon Quest XI even though I hear only great things about it.

I can only think of one off the top of my head - and that's the Legacy of Kain series, and only really in the sense that from what I remember all of the events of Blood Omen 2 are happening concurrently with Soul Reaver 2's - but it's a more complex kind of thing to do with alternate timelines and dimensions that's never really made explicitly clear what's going on.

That whole sentence just makes that franchises plot seem very confusing.

Good idea - then they can play black and white Pokemon on your giant yellow Gameboy. Seems like you need to make an urgent purchase of a switch to me!

If I had the money then maybe a Switch would get bought lol They are still pretty expensive though relatively speaking.

Those are actually one of the reasons I've never really dabbled with IV - knowing exactly which version to play.

I'm fairly sure that it was the 3D one that one of my friends couldn't quite get along with. So perhaps that would be the one to avoid.

You'd think that about the spinoffs - and then Final Fantasy Type - 0 would go and prove that wrong - because that has got some very good musical pieces in it - some iffy ones too. Ones  that don't feel like they belong in Final Fantasy, but there's some good there too. I ought to get World of Final Fantasy really find out if that has a bumflap of a soundtrack. 

It depends really. I had no problem with the 3D remakes of 3 or 4. There are some nice additions to the 3D remake of 4 but honestly either type of version, you'll have a quality game to play! 

I platinumed Type-0 HD yet can't remember the soundtrack very well tbh, will need to go back and listen to some tracks again and reacquaint myself.

World of FF is another FF I'd highly recommend. It's a celebration of FF as a whole with lots of characters from previous FF's appearing and it having turn based combat (Woooo!). It's the closest you'll get to a FF and Pokemon crossover. Nice soundtrack too. I do wonder if you'd get annoyed with some of the main characters though lol

That is pretty much a steal yeah - I love it when that occasionally happens - although those kind of purchases can kind of build up. That's how I ended up getting the platinum in Assassin's Creed II last year - I saw it going for like 99P thought, well I don't have it on PS3, won it and was like guess I'm getting the platinum in ACII then haha

I thought Outbreak was popular so I'm quite surprised that nobody bothered with that one.

I love it too. Awesome to get a game so cheap! Haha nice! Now that's a cheap platinum!

Outbreak has a cult following in the RE fandom definitely. Loads would love Capcom to scrap Re:Verse and just do an Outbreak 3 instead. 

Fun - and had a really great customisation system - where because it was pretty rudimentary it was quite easy to make other promotions wrestlers and stuff. You could also take Kanes mask off before he officially did in the old real life wrestling too.

Wow, what a moment that must have been. Probably better than the real life moment of his mask coming off tbh. Not exactly any scars from the supposed fire was there lol

Always nice to have a game with great customisation options. Reminds me of downloading option files for PES back in the day. 

SNOOOKER MUST BE WATCHED AT ALL COSTS!

Well Semis and final - are Saturday and Sunday.....

I'm posting the new review after this.

I'll try to catch some this weekend then! Got to read the new review too!

For a split second, reading the first part of your sentence I thought you were talking about FFIV as I had just been writing about it, then released it's about GTA haha my bad.

• Like 2

@YaManSmevz Wow, utterly speechless that you voted for me in the Original Content category and for Guide of the Year!. Thank you loads for your kind words and support. Really means a hell of a lot and really appreciate it, honestly. ?

Same to you too @rjkclarke good sir!

Thank you also to @DrBloodmoney for your vote, much appreciated. ?

Edited by The_Kopite
Updated information
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

@YaManSmevz Wow, utterly speechless that you voted for me in the Original Content category and for Guide of the Year!. Thank you loads for your kind words and support. Really means a hell of a lot and really appreciate it, honestly. 1f44d.png

No man, thank you! I may not have even peeped that out had I not overheard (over...read?) you talking about having been nominated. I'm glad I did and got to show some support for the monumental work y'all do!

On 1/10/2022 at 2:49 PM, GonzoWARgasm said:

I think most GTA players enjoyed the shenanigans and that you guys/the critiquing monority that lives here in the checklist sphere are the subset that want meaningful stories. That game prints money, and it's not all because of the online component.

Oh, I enjoyed the shenanigans too! But without any narrative I just can't see how it wouldn't get boring eventually. Too true though, a pretty significant majority of players seem to be fine with shelling out money just to blow shit up and shoot strangers - although back in III's day, it made a bit more sense, and the threadbare story kinda required some imagination to keep it engaging?

On 1/10/2022 at 2:49 PM, GonzoWARgasm said:

OooooOOOOoooo... okay! I shall wait for the new edition of Gonzo Journalism before I make any hasty decisions?

On 1/10/2022 at 4:02 PM, rjkclarke said:

Actually no I let the little freak  guy give his box of toenail clippings to Snow White - actually wasn't it a little insect or something. Either way, I allowed it, I liked him I just didn't like looking at him directly. 

if they had a "GET AWAY FROM ME PEANUT HEAD!" dialogue option 1f606.png:lol:, then I totally I would have gone with it - but alas they didn't programme it that deeply.

That made me think of Moe going off on Ralph like "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING YA LITTLE FREAK??!!"

I'm sure I've told you, I have a Simpsons problem.

I can definitely see being weirded out by both of them. That overly sad little kid voice (seriously pathetic - and I don't mean that as an insult at all, it's a highly accurate descriptor) doesn't mesh with a toad face at all, and his father sounding like a Disney villain from the 60s (which I guess he kinda sorta is?) makes it all the more jarring! 

I was always going to write one - but I was just struggling with where exactly to actually start with it myself - especially as I've got my little no spoilers policy. I didn't really want to go in depth with anything, because really the only sell for the game is the story, so I did feel a bit hamstrung there. 

I feel you walked the line very well! I always try to just mention what I liked about the story and as little about the story itself as much as possible, but it's still something I'm working on - sometimes I feel like I could've mentioned a lot more and it makes me feel a review ends up lacking. It is a riddle you're always able to solve though, you should be proud of that!

I'm perfectly at peace with it - if other people get a kick out of that game, that's great - I didn't - I'll just fire up a different game and have my fun with that instead. I;m not asking for a deep or meaningful story from a GTA game -  but I don't know that even GTAV truly knows what it's trying to say with how it approaches certain things :dunno:

I genuinely like GTAV, I just kind of felt like as much of a technological achievement it was (truly astonishing, ain't nobody can take that away), the heart was very much missing. The first time I played it, I was amazed at how well it controlled and how good it looked, but I couldn't help wishing it was San Andreas instead.

That wasn't what I expected from GTAIV at all, like I mentioned just above I'm not asking for that going into a GTA game but we kind of did get that with GTAIV I know Nico gets a bit of stick for being a bit dour, but I thought he was really interesting.

The funny think about IV is that when it came out, everybody loved it... and then when V was in the works and gettin hyped, I just remember that suddenly everybody was kinda shitting on it and i never really got that.

Yo I've always been Team Niko✊️

I can guarantee an absolutely negative one for Game of Thrones from my end. - I know that much, I might put that one out fairly soon myself.

Yaaaaas!

I'm chipping away at Yakuza 3 - I wouldn't mind playing a little bit more tonight if I can.  Any progress is good progress.

That it is! Res 5 is already feelin like a lot again... in all likelihood you'll have Y3 in the books well before I wrap up RE5!

Big Edit: Also Thanks man! That's real nice of you to say, I really appreciate that - fingers crossed this one won't be a bit of a meandering boring time to read.

I'm going to go and post that Yakuza Kiwami review up now.

It absolutely is not boring at all. Speaking of which...

On 1/10/2022 at 4:38 PM, rjkclarke said:

Classc Review

LHf36040.jpg

Platinum #191

Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)

L877fc1.png

For some time I wished it would've been plausible for me to play 0 and Kiwami at the same time without getting stories and mechanics and stuff like that mixed up - I felt like I'd always wonder which experience would've suited me better... classic grass is greener case I suppose! But once you started talking about how Kiwami builds up on the original, particularly with characters like Nishikiyama (who I immediately liked in 0), it made me feel much more at ease with the Yakuza path I'm on. So thanks for that!

Also your talk of Karaoke reminded me of that dancing mini-game I got stuck on that last dude with... you really gotta master all those extra steps and that bonus point mini-mini-game, which as you may have guessed I am yet to do!

Also Reginald Nigel Gizmaluke is very likely RNG's name! I picture a large, slovenly man repetitively hitting a button on a slot machine-like device and stuffing his face with a microwaved burrito while watching us tear out our hair on large monitors. Next time I'm in that situation on a game (or maybe at a dream machine in Y0) I'ma be like "Come on Reggie, be nice to me bro... be nice.... aw, fuck you man!"

I really liked your observation that Yakuza was simply too much for the PS2, and that Sony wouldn't be ready for its truly intended form until another few generations passed! Ugh... I need to get to work on these games, man!

You once again proved yourself incapable of writing a bad review. For shame!!

• Like 3

OH BOY I missed the Kiwami review! 

Damn that was a good read! Despite finding it the weakest Yakuza game that I've played (so far), it's like saying it doesn't reach the 10/10 area, just a 9.5/10 area xD still a fantastic game!

On 1/11/2022 at 2:38 AM, rjkclarke said:

In fact I’d say this is one of the strongest areas of Kiwami for someone who’s played the original too (well outside of the absence of the dreadful English dub). Nishiki NEVER was a compelling character in the original, his motivations weren’t particularly clear and you aren’t privy to any of the back-story that Yakuza 0 and Kiwami expand upon, so I really cannot fault this area of the game at all.

As I mentioned previously, I don’t necessarily fully agree with some of the criticisms this game gets, but some of them are impossible to ignore too. This game isn’t as bombastic, as wild, or even on a similarly grandiose scale to how Yakuza 0’s story was presented. Kiwami is – it has to be said, a lot less dynamic than Yakuza 0 too, that’s undeniable. Part of that is the more contemporary setting, it just doesn’t feel quite as exciting exploring dilapidated mid 2000’s Kamurocho compared to its neon soaked 1980’s counterpart.

Honestly at first I was...man this game doesn't feel like Yakuza 0. Then I checked the original (never played it), watched a sort of walkthrough and I was "DAMN this is a wonderful remake". Not saying that the original was bad, but what they did with THIS game, well done devs!

Also Nishiki without the Y0 backstory does feel like a soggy biscuit not gonna lie xD 

In that same vein – it looks better, that’s a understatement as big as Kamurocho’s Millenium Tower too. Whilst I’m not overly fond of using the term “cinematic” to describe a video game, as the Yakuza series has progressed they have strayed further into being progressively more filmic. The original was littered with cutscenes, yes – but there wasn’t quite the same artistic flare applied to them that have been implemented here. Tempting as it is to write in depth about the Kurosawa inspired shots and cinematography; I’ll save that for a game where it’s a little relevant.  The original PS2 version is comparatively static, and dare I say it, is, a little flat direction wise. Even slightly different use of camera shots and cuts goes a long way in making something feel a little more artistic and dynamic compared to the original game.

Can I be honest and say that I can't stand that stupid building? I know that's the main idea behind it but MAN does it stick out like a sore thumb. Even in Kiwami 2 and Yakuza 3 I am "ugh this atrocity again".

I don't know, it just irks me ?

An area of Yakuza Kiwami’s gameplay that I particularly love is the Majima everywhere aspect. Who doesn’t love more Majima? Okay, so to avoid spoilers, something transpires in the story where Kiryu essentially loses some of his fighting prowess. Majima has decided to take it upon himself to sharpen Kiryu’s fighting skills up and return him to some of his former glory. I don’t love every single aspect of this addition, but most of them I really thought enhanced the experience. I think it severely hampers repeat playthroughs though, as you can’t really skip Majima interactions easily – but it is very well implemented first time through, nevertheless.

Whilst you level up through experience points in the same way you do other games – much like in Yakuza 0 you have access to the three core fighting styles, Brawler, Rush and Beast – as well as the bonus Dragon Style, which is essentially your “reward” and Kiryu’s ultimate fighting style, that absolutely feels earned when you finally are able to unleash its full power. I won’t go too in depth with those they aren’t any different to how they are in Yakuza 0 so refer back to my review of that if you want the specifics of those. I go into very specific detail with the fighting styles in that review.  However, this is where Majima comes into play a little more, as you need to actively seek out and do battle with specific Majima variants that range from hilarious, to interesting Easter Eggs (there’s even a Yakuza Dead Souls one,) to unlock the various skills and abilities in the Dragon Style skill tree.

With regard to everything else though – you do have a reasonable amount of choice when it comes to levelling up your abilities – I’d argue perhaps too much even, as experience points are one of the most common commodities in this game – you’ll more often than not, find you have more of them than you need. Especially as you constantly seek out Majima for those extra skills as beating him always rewards you with a hefty amount of experience.

Majima Everywhere was an amazing feature in the game, damn he was fun to fight. Still, with that remake, they should have added his style themes according to the instance where you find him xD 

Then there was the thing I probably had to reattempt the most in this game – A KARAOKE SONG. I thought I’d shout just in case that wasn’t clear. You read that right folks, a Karaoke song, happened to be one of the hardest parts of the game for me. To be more specific – it’s one of the trust requirements with Haruka where you have to score 950 points on Otometal MY LIFE. I feel like my relationship with this song is like two fighters who have been going at it for years – and then eventually they just decide they like one another (because I love this song now)  and we fought so much, and so often. Half the problem was not failing, because I usually started laughing whenever Kiryu would just shout "OI,OI,OI" at the top of his lungs. That happened a lot! Some of you will possibly notice from other reviews that some pretty odd triggers can you usually set me laughing my head off at the stupidest of things. Ahem, back to my fight with the song. There were battles of 890’s, 910’s 920’s (usually you only need 900 for the completion point) edging closer and closer until finally I managed it. I beat them.  The process of getting 950 score leaves very little room for error too.  The song is a fairly wild song, so the rhythm felt pretty tough to keep up with at times I’ll embed a link where I’ve written the song title, to someone successfully doing it if any of you want an idea of what it’s like.

I can say without shame that I cheated  for this one. I can't stand OTOMETAL to save MY LIFE! There was an exploit that allowed me to bypass this abysmal song and get SSS rank with Haruka. Truly a Yakuza move, so mega props for nailing that score in the game!

Well after reading your review...yep, time to load up Yakuza 4 in the future xD gotta polish my Mahjong skills even further!

• Like 3

No man, thank you! I may not have even peeped that out had I not overheard (over...read?) you talking about having been nominated. I'm glad I did and got to show some support for the monumental work y'all do!

Much appreciated! All the guides there are of such high quality that simply being nominated is something I'm really proud of. :) Haha overread, that should become a thing lol

• Like 2