rjkclarke's Carnival of Diamonds and Rust

rjkclarke

22 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

Oof...you'll get there.  On PC I started with Backalley Brawl as I thought it was regarded as the hardest trophy, wanting to attempt to the toughest shit first as I am also full of wonderful ideas.  For PS4 I started with Daredevil because I found it the most difficult challenge, especially on a controller.  I'd start with the normal Bonfires 1f600.png  It is tough coming back to it 6 years later, but don't get discouraged.

Thanks for the encouragement dude, I sure need it ? haha!

I'll take another crack at it later, I don't feel too tired right now, so I might have a couple of attempts at some of the miscellaneous trophies before I pass out for the night/morning. Daredevil is the one I'm really dreading, because it relies on both luck and some pretty precise play on your own end, I suppose all I can do is practice until I get it.

12 hours ago, Sora9427 said:

Oh i'll try to reply proprerly,

Well I appreciate the detailed response, thank you. ?

Well, Glad to find somebody else like me for fighting games! I Have only P4 Arena and Under night i think, Tekken 7 too, because Tekken and Under Nights are easy even if you aren't good at the genre, Persona i don't care, it's Persona :3 Well you have Patience to write down i'm sure you have patience to stealth around, i like the Direct approach to fight :awesome: 

I am probably going to add a couple more Fighting games at some point. There are a couple that I definitely want to play. Like I want to get Tekken 6 and Soul Calibur V, and I guess if I do those Tekken 7 and Soul Calibur VI would have to probably come along too. I used to quite like both of those series, so I wouldn't mind nabbing some of those ones if my gnarled hands will allow it ?... Interesting you mention Undernight, I've played that a couple of times at a friends house, and I did quite enjoy that one. I think I'd be tempted by Persona 4 too if I ever get around to playing Persona 4, I wish it'd come out on PS4 as I never did pick up a Vita.

Well i get you, i like racing games too but recently there are good ones? Sadly not really, i only have NFS  Hot Pursuit to play and i want GT 7 when it comes down on price but that's it. I get you on the Fps side too, i used to play a good lot of them but nowadays are pretty much either boring or all the same ones. Enjoy Titanfall 2 i have it too to play, i'm not that excited because of the speedrun trophy honestly.

I think there's definitely some good racers out there on PS4. There's also a lot of pretty bad ones, (like most games I guess) so it is definitely a case of having to look around a bit for the ones that really appeal to you I guess.

I've also got Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit on my list of ones to play, as I never played the original, but always wanted to. I've heard from a lot of people that, that is one of the really good ones. 

I'm sure Titanfall 2 won't be too much of a problem for you. I think you can practically do that infamous trophy before almost all the other ones, so I think when I do it I'll just get that done as soon as I can.

I Absolutely recommend you the 2 Ace Attorney trilogy on the genre! Being investigation games are pretty interactive with searching around to solve the Mistery and Take it to the court to prove the innocence of your client! 

I'm glad you mentioned those, because I've always had half an eye on the Ace Attorney games, but never actually played one, so it's nice to read someone going to bat for them, as games worth checking out. I've always thought they'd be the kind of thing I'd probably like.

The Stupid thing is thatr they put it back in the PS4 version too, what's the point! Couldn't they do like AC where they removed the Online in the tirlogy -_-

I did think it was odd the fact it was put into the PS4 version too. I actually really liked the online in the Assassin's Creed games quite a lot, but I only got into that aspect of them with Revelations, I still haven't gone back to the online in Brotherhood yet, but I am planning to, as I definitely want the platinum for that game, and time is probably running out on that one, so I'd better get to it sooner rather than later.

Oh well you're mostly done i would say, you miss a good number but compared to overall what you have i'm sure you'll write them all down in the next months! I have like 50+ Revivews to write down too, whenever i'll feel like it i'll write some. 

I actually did do the math earlier, and I was actually pretty close. I've got about 265 games left to write about. So it'll probably take me a while, but I would like to actually write all of those eventually.

I think that's a good philosophy you've got there, to just write them whenever you feel like it, you'll get there! That's usually how I tend to do it. If you're not feeling like you want to, you just can't force that. Or at least I certainly can't, and I know I'm not alone in that feeling either.

Yeah even if who doesn't know the game or doesn't want to understand will sadly say it's a mess, i see so many stupid comments not understanding the 3Rd one why? Because they skipped CoM and BBS which are not at all spin off but really important :( I'm curious to read you reviews on them then! 

For Me maybe i'll write down the 3Rd one one, day, i just know i'll write like a 10k+ lines of a review and that's why i still haven't xD

I fear you won't like my eventual review of Kingdom Hearts III, ? I really didn't get on with that one. It might be one of those games that I mellow on a little bit when I come to write a review about it, but I remember at the time thinking, that so much of it felt rushed. I also felt a little bit put off by the fact it kind of assumed you knew lots of the lore from the mobile titles. I could never say KHII was bad, just not quite the game I think I wanted it to be.

I do however really love Chain of Memories and Birth By Sleep. In fact BBS is probably my second favourite one. I'm probably very much in the minority of Kingdom Hearts fans, as the original game is actually my favourite one.

Indeed, opinion can change with time in better or worse so it's nice seeing what was our thinking some years or months ago! I Mean i even "tried" it because i originally started Fallout 3 and got super bored and annoied after 2 hours, then after 2 years i decided to start again and give it another go and now it's one of my favourite open world ever for example :P 

I've been in that exact same spot with a few games - actually I'm hoping the DLC for Fallout 4 changes my mind on that one a little bit. I hope so, I didn't love that game and I really wanted to. I played it when I was really jaded and just miserable in my personal life, so I'm worried that leached its way into the game and ruined the experience for me a little bit. So hopefully a DLC revisit might change that.

I Mean respect for you too to dedicate so much into something i can't aside from gaming and even here recently i can get super into for 2-3 hours not much unlike some years ago, i just lose focus, really you have great mind in that regard! And you are really fast to reply don't worry as said i'll write in the weekend anyway so take your full time to reply no need to hurry tomorrow :D 

Thank you! Again that's really nice of you to say! It's something I enjoy, so as long I keep enjoying it, hopefully nothing about this whole checklist thing will change all too much. I'm sure it'll slow down here and there but who can say for sure. ?:dunno:

I'd better try and get that Evoland review posted up before I hop back into Dishonoured!

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 5:30 PM, rjkclarke said:

"EAT VEGETABLES, CHANGE GENDER"

Is that where that's from? I saw that on a T-shirt the other day, confused the hell out of me.

Thanks man - it's sad, but kind of nice in a way that he went out the way that he did. He'd been stuck in hospital for ages, so my Mum did everything she could to get him back to his home, he one he'd lived in for pretty much the whole 86 years of his life, because that's where he wanted to be. Her and I spent the day before, or even the day before that I can't remember exactly - still, we got to painting the room he was going to be sleeping in, and sprucing it up a bit for him, he came back the next day and then died peacefully in his sleep.

It truly is the best possible outcome in that scenario, and I'm really happy to hear you guys were able to do that for him. I'm sure he appreciated it beyond words. Good on you, man?

I think if you were going to give one a go, I'd suggest trying one from like a film series or comic book property that you like, as they usually do pretty lovingly crafted versions of those. The older ones used to basically do silent comedy too in their cutscenes which was always real charming!

That makes sense, because the ones he swore by were the Batman and Indiana Jones games. I still couldn't say why I never went for it, he's the one that got me into God of War and Ratchet & Clank, and as I'm sure you could guess, those went pretty well for me!

Haha - I don't make it easier for cropping by putting images all over the place " BECAUSE I LIKE TO MAKE THE REVIEWS LOOK PRETTY" haha :facepalm:

Don't you ever apologize for having pretty reviews! Your formatting is the shit, and everybody knows it?

You're too kind! And..... also wrong, because you  totally could, you absolutely nailed that Resident Evil 5 review you did, that was awesome!

Aww shucks, thanks homie?

Then make sure it's still locked away in your brain somewhere, and we will discuss it when you've reviewed Resident Evil 4? Sound like a plan?

Deal!

It could well be! It's definitely one of those games was quite illuminating as far as VN's go. Unfortunately it's unavoidable that sometimes you just get an idea in your head about what a certain type of game or genre would be, and unfortunately, I had that with VN's for a while, so I was real glad that this one changed that.

I think that's why I'm saving 2064 for a rainy day, so to speak - I'd really like to have an experience similar to what you describe here. I don't like the feeling of looking at a whole genre of games and having a knee jerk reaction of "nahhh..."

I also really liked the fact they didn't just overly sexualise all of the female characters, it usually makes me feel really uncomfortable when that happens in any game just to y'know get more eyes on the product. Let the characters speak for themselves.

I already know that whenever I get to writing about Dynasty Warriors 8, I'm gonna have a hard time not ranting about that???

It's one that I really hope that you end up playing at some point, because as tough as you might find bits and pieces emotionally (like many of us did) I think you'd definitely have a pretty illuminating time with it. And it really is a game I'd encourage as many people as possible to play through and experience if they can.

I'm confident that I will. The way you talk about it really spoke to me. Like you, it's a topic that hits close to home, and any time it's handled especially well, it automatically becomes something I wanna check out. Plus, y'know, another great game to play? Who gonna be mad at that??

Yes! So you should apologise for writing a novel...... ONLY I MAY WRITE NOVEL LENGTH POSTS xD

Only joking dude, write all the novel long posts you like here, sure makes a change from me doing it! And as usual thank you!  I really do appreciate you going the extra mile,that really is awesome! ?

Haha you know how it is, the instinct is always to be like "crap, I'm sorry about that!" But of course man, think nothing of it!

As I quite literally reinstalled Dishonoured before sitting down to write this reply. So with any luck (and I'll need some for By My Hand Alone) I'll be throwing your name in a tag at the bottom of that review too. After all we've been talking about us both going back to the game for probably close to a year at this point, and you beat me to it! Now you've got me pumped to actually revisit those smelly Dunwall Trials, so erm.... thanks I guess xD

I seen you rockin that one lately, man. Good job chippin away at that shit?

6 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Platinum #354

Evoland (PS4)

Le40a7b.png

First of all, when I hear "Triple Triad clone," I'm on board, no questions asked. I also really dig how it takes that FF inspiration and pretzels it into something entirely its own. That's not an easy thing to do, particularly with such a well known franchise!

Evoland 2 sounds insanely creative as well! You've brought these games up before (or this collection, I guess I should say), and it looks like I've little choice but to add it to the wishlist?

Excellent work as always, my dude!

• Like 1

Dammit!

Evoland sounds rad as hell... that's another bloody game on the backlog! ?

I've always loved the idea of those games that sweep in different genres as homage rather than parody, but so often they end up being paleo-imitations of genres - good for a laugh, but the actual gameplay is too clunky to maintain the joke... the fact that this one seems to manage to be a fun playing game makes it a sale for me!

Having played neither, I'm completely unqualified to say this (when has that ever stopped me though ?) - the same thing that appealed to me about A Short Hike in @realm722's recent review is working on me here - the idea of a game that hops genres, but makes the gameplay fun each time it does!

Nicely done sir ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

It truly is the best possible outcome in that scenario, and I'm really happy to hear you guys were able to do that for him. I'm sure he appreciated it beyond words. Good on you, man1f44a.png

Thanks, I nearly didn't mention that as I thought it'd read like I'm patting myself on the back ?

I think he would have been appreciative, he was one of those older males that find it really difficult to express emotion, but I know he did express some to my Mum just after he'd been told his heart was starting to give out on him. So I'm really glad he did that. 

That makes sense, because the ones he swore by were the Batman and Indiana Jones games. I still couldn't say why I never went for it, he's the one that got me into God of War and Ratchet & Clank, and as I'm sure you could guess, those went pretty well for me!

Those are some of the better ones for sure. Both of the Indiana Jones ones were pretty good, even the second one that had a lot of focus on that godawful Crystal Skull movie was quite well done in Lego form ?

Sounds like he might know what he's talking about if he steered you in the direction of Ratchet and Clank and God of War. He knew you were in safe hands with those ones at least xD.

I think that's why I'm saving 2064 for a rainy day, so to speak - I'd really like to have an experience similar to what you describe here. I don't like the feeling of looking at a whole genre of games and having a knee jerk reaction of "nahhh..."

2064 wouldn't be a bad jumping in point for the genre actually, yeah. Purely because it's a really good hybrid of a few genres, so it isn't just strictly reading text for hours on end. To be honest, I still think it would be very good even if it was just reading through text, but it's got a lot more interactivity to it, a bit like VA11Hall-A does. So I'm hoping that when you eventually do, you end up having a great time with that one. 

I already know that whenever I get to writing about Dynasty Warriors 8, I'm gonna have a hard time not ranting about that???

I can imagine - even though I haven't really played any of the modern ones, I think if I did I'd find it practically impossible not to at least mention it a little bit.

I'm confident that I will. The way you talk about it really spoke to me. Like you, it's a topic that hits close to home, and any time it's handled especially well, it automatically becomes something I wanna check out. Plus, y'know, another great game to play? Who gonna be mad at that??

I'm confident you will as well, I'm pretty sure bits of it will probably resonate in a similar way to how they did with me, so I'm looking forward to being able to read about your own take on the game.

Even better it's only about 8 hours long, so it's also not one you'd spend a whole lot of time with - it really is almost the perfect length. I think if the deliberately tried to extend that game its message might suffer as a result. So I'm really glad they stuck to their guns in that regard.

Haha you know how it is, the instinct is always to be like "crap, I'm sorry about that!" But of course man, think nothing of it!

I'm glad you got what I was angling for with that haha ?

Yep, you know it! My first instinct is to always apologise too, it's just a tough habit to shake off at this point.

First of all, when I hear "Triple Triad clone," I'm on board, no questions asked. I also really dig how it takes that FF inspiration and pretzels it into something entirely its own. That's not an easy thing to do, particularly with such a well known franchise!

Evoland 2 sounds insanely creative as well! You've brought these games up before (or this collection, I guess I should say), and it looks like I've little choice but to add it to the wishlist1f604.png

Excellent work as always, my dude!

Cheers dude! I totally wrote Cher's dude by mistake.... Then my brain wandered off into a tangent about being Cher's dude....... ANYWAY ?

It is very much a clone of Triple Triad too, but it works surprisingly well. I'm actually a little bummed out that there isn't more of it in the original Evoland. That's actually a slight downside to my review in hindsight, in that the first Evoland almost just doesn't seem that good compared to how I spoke about Evoland 2. The original is still great, it's just very short, and very limited.

I liked that aspect too, that it definitely takes inspiration yet seeks to do its own unique thing. As you said, it isn't easy, and it's even harder doing it with such a beloved franchise. Funny really, as that cropped up in your latest game too with Unmetal

Evoland 2, really is a treat though. I found myself getting really absorbed into it, which I've found pretty difficult lately with a few games, so that was actually quite welcome. It just works, on so many levels, so if it means you'll end up checkiing it out that's made me pretty damn happy, because this game just deserves so much more attention on it than it has had!

8 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Dammit!

Evoland sounds rad as hell... that's another bloody game on the backlog! 1f602.png

I've always loved the idea of those games that sweep in different genres as homage rather than parody, but so often they end up being paleo-imitations of genres - good for a laugh, but the actual gameplay is too clunky to maintain the joke... the fact that this one seems to manage to be a fun playing game makes it a sale for me!

It is rad as hell! If it's another one going on your mountainous backlog then that's put a big old smile on my face

It's one that I do that think you'd particularly enjoy - yet didn't bother tagging you in it, because.... well because you're awesome, and I kind of assumed you'd read it anyway ?

I totally get where you're coming from with that. It was something I was cautiously optimistic about, as I did have that slight worry, that the fact I'd heard there was so many different types of genre represented in Evoland 2, that few of them will actually work particularly well. Thankfully that wasn't the case. 

It's got some really good puzzles in it too. There's some really good perspective ones I think you'll like a lot, which play around with the idea of switching between a 2D and a 3D plane. It's a little bit like the way Fez does it, but not entirely the same either.

There were actually so many aspects of the gameplay I wanted to mention in the review, and did at one point, until cutting them, as I got quite a lot of enjoyment out of just finding out what sort of thing I'd be experiencing next, so thought it'd be better to leave as a surprise for people.

8 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Having played neither, I'm completely unqualified to say this (when has that ever stopped me though 1f61d.png) - the same thing that appealed to me about A Short Hike in @realm722's recent review is working on me here - the idea of a game that hops genres, but makes the gameplay fun each time it does!

Nicely done sir 1f44d.png

I have read that review too, and I don't think you're off the mark with that one at all actually. That was an awesome review too, and it's another one that I know I missed in a sale recently. I know what you're thinking, I'm making a habit of that lately. Did I really need MORE point-and-click adventure games? (that answer is always yes ?) I'm also looking forward to next time A Short Hike appears in a sale, because that also seems like a pretty fun, if not rather brief time.

Thanks Doc! Sorry (but not really, :dunno:xD) to add another awesome game to your backlog - although I do think you'll very much enjoy this one I hope when you eventually get to it!

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I'll throw out a tag for both @realm722 and @Cassylvania - this seems just the sort of niche and interesting type of game that I think you'd both probably quite enjoy for various reasons. It's a great little indie title!

Feel free to hurl rotten fruit at me if you'd rather I hadn't tagged you though 1f602.png

Added it to my list. I've actually looked at it before, but I don't think I checked out any reviews. As soon as it goes on sale, I'll give it a try.

Never be afraid to tag me on a review (especially if it's a recommendation or a warning).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Added it to my list. I've actually looked at it before, but I don't think I checked out any reviews. As soon as it goes on sale, I'll give it a try.

Never be afraid to tag me on a review (especially if it's a recommendation or a warning).

Awesome!

I really hope you enjoy it, like I said in the review, not every single thing in it is perfect, but mostly the bad aspects are things that probably wouldn't bother you too much like the soundtrack. If it really go too repetitive for you, you could just have it be one of those games you just play on mute, as there's plenty of other interesting aspects and a genuine charm to keep you interested.

I shall bear that in mind that, that I can tag you for recommendations or warnings. It is one of those things I worry a bit about, I worry I'm needlessly bothering people. I'm an eternal worrier though, that's just me. So it's good to know that you don't mind. ?

On 6/4/2022 at 10:47 PM, rjkclarke said:

I see what you did there haha! 1f609.png

Your name might well be 1f602.png, I genuinely hadn't thought about the game for quite a while, then I looked into it, and saw that it doesn't take anywhere close to as long as I thought it did, and you can do the majority of the trophies offline, it did pique my interest a little I must say. Especially as all the DLC only comes to £7.99 how bad can it really be. I guess we'll have to find out haha!

Haha well I took a 'cue' off you and......................yeah I'm going to stop there lol

Well sounds like we are going to find out! lol Hopefully that'll be £7.99 well spent lol

No refunds lol

This is also true.

She may have killed me in one of my no save runs as well, It's quite a risk vs reward fight the one with her. It's easy to just get completely launched off the map like Team Rocket.

It was actually Hunters that probably killed most of those runs for me. Just when you think you're safe one jumps up and turns your throat into a waterfall of blood 1f62c.png.... Think that's why I dreaded running into them in Resident Evil Revelations 1.

It is absolutely. That risk vs reward strategy is a big part of RE in general and part of what makes it so good and satisfying when you get the reward so yeah it definitely added an extra something in RE Remake.

Hunters are vicious, especially in that remake. The speed at which they jump at you, 1 or 2 swipes and that's the end of you, the buggers lol The Lickers in RE2Remake have killed me once or twice, bloody fly at you!

Unfortunately not, sorry to get you excited.... I just really like Llamas. So it was purely wishful thinking that there'd be Llama based involvement. You'll still have a great time with the game though - even if it is an unfortunately Llama free one.

Now I've said Llama too many times it's literally lost all meaning xD

Ah right lol that's a pity. Would have been interested to see the character design now! Maybe you'll have to start up your own video game company and create a LLama based game, could be a big seller! Just let me know about it if it happens and don't let gaming sites pull the 'wool' over my eyes!

That's progress at least I suppose haha!

It's a funny one with Code Veronica. The PS3 version just is the better version it's also a true HD remaster, instead of just an upscaled port, so I think I'd be more inclined to play that one anyway. I'm not too fussed if it doesn't have a platinum. So long as Steve isn't on a trophy icon we're all good! 1f44c.png

Yeah hopefully Sony will quickly resolve these issues! Shouldn't have been the case in the first place but there you go.

Well let me double check that Steve trophy image possibility...............well I can see 2 trophy images with Steve's wonderful mug on for the PS3 version! That'll delight you! haha. There's 3 for the PS4 version so there you go then, you'll have to decide!

No that part didn't bother me too much when I saw my friend playing some of it (might have if I'd been playing it myself) - it was just the STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARS - and that horribly metallic tinniness that really freaked me out, I think because it's so inhuman. It is actually very good though.

Gotta love the STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARS though (This is me going off the original), it's just creepy but in a menacing way. Yeah it is very good and yes the design of Nemsis I think is fantastic to be honest. They really nailed it, though I think the Tyrant from 1 and Mr. X from 2 have great designs too.

No, I don't think you're the only one. I've done it occasionally with RPG's, depends how organised I'm feeling and how good the in-game tracking is for those things. I had a spreadsheet in use for NieR: Replicant recently, and that was super helpful. I also have some saved somewhere for Star Ocean: The Last Hope, but I'm a little too chicken to go near that offensively long and grindy game right now. I am planning to just end up chipping away at it eventually until I'm done, but I haven't gone back to do my New Game Plus playthrough yet!

You'll probably be at about 275 the week after you hit 250 at this rate, or more even.

I'll bet it was really handy for NieR: Replicant and wow yeah I've read trophy guides for many Star Ocean games and I'm not sure which one that is exactly )I only played 1 on the PS2, can't remember the name) but the hours required for a platinum and the difficulty ratings were just ridiculous! I'm sure one was 500 hours and another was 1000!

It is possible! It depends how many I want to pop after 250 straight away. Might pop 10, trimming down that backlog a bit and getting games off the memory card, hard drive or ssd (depends on the console lol) and then get stuck into Dissidia and Lost Sphear. We will see!

I didn't mention it so no need to worry. At the moment I'm kind of flitting about between things. In a sort of cleanup mode. I went back to the Dunwall City Trials from Dishonoured last night, for the first time in 6 years, and I'm also planning to mop up my last trophy on Limbo, and throw some smaller shorter indie games into the mix whilst I'm doing a bit of cleanup on older things. So that's where I'm at gaming wise. 

Sounds like me that, going back to a game after many years lol Sounds like a nice plan! Will be interested to see what big game really catches your eye next.

I've caught bits and pieces of State of Play, I didn't watch the whole thing, more just looked at trailers here and there. I do think it's a little bit of an oversight skipping over Code Veronica, it isn't like its non-canon or anything.

Callisto Protocal does look very good, it'll be weird if it ends up releasing at a similar time to the Dead Space remake. I didn't look at the Final Fantasy one, I got myself really excited in the build-up to FFXV and I'm not going to do that to myself again, for the game to release feeling unfinished, and unpolished. I'm not saying it will, but NFTENIX.... SORRY Square Enix, are a company I really struggle to have much faith in anymore.

I do hope the RE remakes stop with Resident Evil 4 though - that's about the last one they can get away with remaking. I am quite interested in the remake of 4 though I must say. It looks Leon is a bit more thoughtful and reflective judging by that tiny little snippet. I'm not the biggest fan of his character in 4, so anything that isn't "Generic Action Hero" I'm kind of onboard for.

Absolutely, 100% agree. I know numbers wise it is probably easier to go that way, but Code Veronica is canon and it has major events in it. It's an odd one from Capcom and I hope they don't just forget about it. Personal opinion - if the Remakes carry on, I'd rather CV than 5.

Think Dead Space remake will be 2023 at the earliest from a guess, whereas The Callisto Protocol is set for December 2022 so if they hit that, they'll get in there first which will be important for them. 

That's fair in regards to FFXVI, let's say my reaction was that I was pumped for the game, but the battle system is not looking like my cup of tea at all. Sounds like XV in some ways, but the setting looks far better. Go figure though.

The whole aspect of RE4 was to start changing the franchise into being a bit more actiony, which while I enjoyed my first playthrough on it definitely, it was a pity they started to go in that direction. Hopefully it will improve on the tone of it. We will see. Still excited lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Well sounds like we are going to find out! lol Hopefully that'll be £7.99 well spent lol

Time will tell on that one... Fingers crossed though! I actually did manage to nab another Pool Game completion last night, and I'm just finishing off the review for it between writing this reply. So I'll probably have that one up soon (yay said nobody ever ? MORE POOL THINGS)

Ah right lol that's a pity. Would have been interested to see the character design now! Maybe you'll have to start up your own video game company and create a LLama based game, could be a big seller! Just let me know about it if it happens and don't let gaming sites pull the 'wool' over my eyes!

I actually can't recall playing a game that had a Llama in it, but I'm sure there are plenty, I just haven't found one yet :dunno:

I'll add it to the list of games to make once Smevz and I form our production company Smarke - I'm fairly sure we can probably bust out a Llama Quest game!

Yeah hopefully Sony will quickly resolve these issues! Shouldn't have been the case in the first place but there you go.

Well let me double check that Steve trophy image possibility...............well I can see 2 trophy images with Steve's wonderful mug on for the PS3 version! That'll delight you! haha. There's 3 for the PS4 version so there you go then, you'll have to decide!

I do think they look good, seeing Ape Escape being run on a PS5 it did look smooth as hell. So if they can make it so they run nicely for everyone that'll be even better I think!

Well, to be honest, I'll take 2 Steve filled Images over 3. I'll just deliberately not ever look back at the Code Veronica trophies once I have them, just to keep myself from getting triggered!

Gotta love the STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARS though (This is me going off the original), it's just creepy but in a menacing way. Yeah it is very good and yes the design of Nemsis I think is fantastic to be honest. They really nailed it, though I think the Tyrant from 1 and Mr. X from 2 have great designs too.

Thankfully the new version of STAAARS, doesn't fill me with dread, and an instant need to change my underwear ?.... so swings and roundabouts haha

I actually think pretty much all of the Tyrant designs are pretty damn good - I think my favourite one is that weird Proto-Tyrant that's in Resident Evil 0, the really pale, almost albino one, that thing is nasty. The two Ivan Tyrants from Umbrella Chronicles have got a really awesome design as well thinking about it.

I'll bet it was really handy for NieR: Replicant and wow yeah I've read trophy guides for many Star Ocean games and I'm not sure which one that is exactly )I only played 1 on the PS2, can't remember the name) but the hours required for a platinum and the difficulty ratings were just ridiculous! I'm sure one was 500 hours and another was 1000!

Super helpful yeah!

The Last Hope is the one that allegedly takes 1000 hours, realistically I think it's about 300 -400, maybe 500 at a push if you're fairly inefficient. I still want to do it as I really like the Star Ocean games I've played, admittedly the only other one I have played is the one on PS2 that you've played, Till the End of Time I think that one was. I'd like to platinum all of the ones available to me at some point if I can. It just might take a while haha

It is possible! It depends how many I want to pop after 250 straight away. Might pop 10, trimming down that backlog a bit and getting games off the memory card, hard drive or ssd (depends on the console lol) and then get stuck into Dissidia and Lost Sphear. We will see!

I guess I'll wait and see if your platinum count surges overnight once you put Resident Evil 2 to bed  ?

Sounds like me that, going back to a game after many years lol Sounds like a nice plan! Will be interested to see what big game really catches your eye next.

It does seem that way haha, I'm trying to make a habit this year of finally laying some games to rest that have been unfinished for far longer than I'd like. Then hopefully I'd only have to focus on unstarted games in my backlog.

Did you read the review I tagged you in by the way? Not to be giving homework or anything xD, but I really think you'd dig Evoland, partly because of all the classic Final Fantasy homages, but also all of the callbacks to gaming history you'd probably enjoy too, so it's there if you ever want to give it a look.

Absolutely, 100% agree. I know numbers wise it is probably easier to go that way, but Code Veronica is canon and it has major events in it. It's an odd one from Capcom and I hope they don't just forget about it. Personal opinion - if the Remakes carry on, I'd rather CV than 5.

It's a chance to redeem Steve as a character too, instead of just being an absolute creep that I suspect would rummage through Claire's bins.  Who knows, I'd like to see it, but who can say if we'd get it. Having replayed 5 recently, I really don't think that one needs remaking.

That's fair in regards to FFXVI, let's say my reaction was that I was pumped for the game, but the battle system is not looking like my cup of tea at all. Sounds like XV in some ways, but the setting looks far better. Go figure though.

I'll just remain cautiously optimistic for the time being on that one. I'm glad you're a bit more hyped for it though. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 1:25 AM, rjkclarke said:

I'll throw out one for @The_Kopite too, because I think you'd probably quite enjoy this one too, it's got some nice little call backs in it to both Final Fantasy and Chrono Cross/Trigger, well and a whole bunch of other games too.

Firstly, sorry about this being slow but thanks for tagging me in this! Looks pretty dang cool I've gotta say!

14 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Time will tell on that one... Fingers crossed though! I actually did manage to nab another Pool Game completion last night, and I'm just finishing off the review for it between writing this reply. So I'll probably have that one up soon (yay said nobody ever ? MORE POOL THINGS)

Nice! You're on quite a roll! Gotta keep on pot of it all, I mean top of it all haha (These puns are getting worse all the time.....)

16 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

I actually can't recall playing a game that had a Llama in it, but I'm sure there are plenty, I just haven't found one yet :dunno:

I'll add it to the list of games to make once Smevz and I form our production company Smarke - I'm fairly sure we can probably bust out a Llama Quest game!

Well you have to keep searching for one! 

Or, create one! You and Smevz would form a great company, undoubtedly!

17 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

I do think they look good, seeing Ape Escape being run on a PS5 it did look smooth as hell. So if they can make it so they run nicely for everyone that'll be even better I think!

Well, to be honest, I'll take 2 Steve filled Images over 3. I'll just deliberately not ever look back at the Code Veronica trophies once I have them, just to keep myself from getting triggered!

Yes absolutely. I know that type of game probably needs much better frame rates than others. 

Haha well whatever works for you. I've got my eldest daughter starting to get into gaming a bit now so Paw Patrol trophies are now on my profile and other kids games will be incoming I'm sure lol

20 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Thankfully the new version of STAAARS, doesn't fill me with dread, and an instant need to change my underwear ?.... so swings and roundabouts haha

I actually think pretty much all of the Tyrant designs are pretty damn good - I think my favourite one is that weird Proto-Tyrant that's in Resident Evil 0, the really pale, almost albino one, that thing is nasty. The two Ivan Tyrants from Umbrella Chronicles have got a really awesome design as well thinking about it.

Swings and Roundabouts could be the name of your new gaming company lol

O yeah, the designers of those games definitely know how to design creatures in general. The Licker and Hunter are wicked enemies with really interesting designs and all the big bosses too. Part of the reason why Resident Evil, like Final Fantasy and Sonic are my favourite franchises is because they all have great artwork and designs of environments, creatures etc etc.

23 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Super helpful yeah!

The Last Hope is the one that allegedly takes 1000 hours, realistically I think it's about 300 -400, maybe 500 at a push if you're fairly inefficient. I still want to do it as I really like the Star Ocean games I've played, admittedly the only other one I have played is the one on PS2 that you've played, Till the End of Time I think that one was. I'd like to platinum all of the ones available to me at some point if I can. It just might take a while haha

O wow so that one you're playing right now! O ok, so I wonder why the trophy guide I saw said 1000 hours then (I swear it did....). 

Yes, that sounds right about the PS2 one. I liked that overall with the story being pretty engaging. Not my fave battle system but still. 

Oh getting all those platinums will take you quite some time. Will be a hell of an achievement!

26 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

I guess I'll wait and see if your platinum count surges overnight once you put Resident Evil 2 to bed  ?

Haha well it is possible I'll just pop like 10 platinums in one day if it all works out lol

Eventually when I get to 14,999 trophies total I can do the speed run trophy of Sonic 2 PS3 for 15k!

26 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

It does seem that way haha, I'm trying to make a habit this year of finally laying some games to rest that have been unfinished for far longer than I'd like. Then hopefully I'd only have to focus on unstarted games in my backlog.

Did you read the review I tagged you in by the way? Not to be giving homework or anything xD, but I really think you'd dig Evoland, partly because of all the classic Final Fantasy homages, but also all of the callbacks to gaming history you'd probably enjoy too, so it's there if you ever want to give it a look.

That sounds like a good plan! I'll bet most people have the same type of plans as us, trying to get rid of those backlogs. Then inevitably adding more to them lol really trying to not do that!

As you will have already seen above, yes Evoland seemed really interesting. Looked at some videos too. Saw that the Playstation release is both games combined with one trophy list? Seems a bit of an odd decision to make lol 

A physical copy seems hard to come by.

30 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

It's a chance to redeem Steve as a character too, instead of just being an absolute creep that I suspect would rummage through Claire's bins.  Who knows, I'd like to see it, but who can say if we'd get it. Having replayed 5 recently, I really don't think that one needs remaking.

Well RE4 remake isn't labelled as a remake by Capcom. Think they called it a reawakening? Something like that. Could do the same with CV. 

31 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

I'll just remain cautiously optimistic for the time being on that one. I'm glad you're a bit more hyped for it though. 

I think it's obviously fair that you feel that way. I'm pumped a bit more by a lot of it, but the battle system isn't grabbing me. FFVIIR was actiony but had that balance of the turn based style 'selecting options and strategising for your party members' too and it was really nice. 

FFXVI just seems like SE version of Devil May Cry. I couldn't get into Kingdom Hearts partly because of the battle system. (Also because it was slow and confusing, the 1st one anyways. Probably the wrong one to try lol) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Kopite said:

Firstly, sorry about this being slow but thanks for tagging me in this! Looks pretty dang cool I've gotta say!

No worries man, I just wanted to make sure you'd seen it, because..... well because I want as many people as possible to experience the awesomely unique game that is Evoland!

Nice! You're on quite a roll! Gotta keep on pot of it all, I mean top of it all haha (These puns are getting worse all the time.....)

Yep! I've just finished the review, going to read over it then post it after I've replied here. I also might have found someone (well another one, as a few people have suggested Hustle Kings to me in the past) willing to knock out the pesky online bits of Hustle Kings, so fingers crossed on that one.

Yes absolutely. I know that type of game probably needs much better frame rates than others. 

Haha well whatever works for you. I've got my eldest daughter starting to get into gaming a bit now so Paw Patrol trophies are now on my profile and other kids games will be incoming I'm sure lol

Oh that's really nice that she's starting to get into gaming a bit.... I did wonder what that dog was about in your trophy card, so that explains it! You could bust out some Lego games together if you wanted to, she might enjoy some of those.

Swings and Roundabouts could be the name of your new gaming company lol

O yeah, the designers of those games definitely know how to design creatures in general. The Licker and Hunter are wicked enemies with really interesting designs and all the big bosses too. Part of the reason why Resident Evil, like Final Fantasy and Sonic are my favourite franchises is because they all have great artwork and designs of environments, creatures etc etc.

Not a bad idea actually!

Absolutely - the Resident Evil design team usually do a very good job when they have a specific design brief too. Whilst I prefer Revelations 2 as a game, I think the first Revelations has got some amazing art design almost wholly across the board. I do struggle to take them seriously, as me and one of my best friends always used to childishly refer to the creatures as "Spindlywillymen" or usually variations of that.

O wow so that one you're playing right now! O ok, so I wonder why the trophy guide I saw said 1000 hours then (I swear it did....). 

Yes, that sounds right about the PS2 one. I liked that overall with the story being pretty engaging. Not my fave battle system but still. 

Oh getting all those platinums will take you quite some time. Will be a hell of an achievement!

Yep that's the one! Well it would be, if I could get my act together and actually fire it up and make some progress with it. I do want to get it finished by the end of this year, but I don't know how realistic that is actually going to be.

You aren't wrong the guides do say 1000 hours for that game. But a lot of the battle titles are very RNG dependant on item drops and stuff. One of my PSN friends has platinumed every available version of Star Ocean: The Last Hope, and he always says 400-500 was about the average it took him for one of them. Fair play to him haha. 

Haha well it is possible I'll just pop like 10 platinums in one day if it all works out lol

Eventually when I get to 14,999 trophies total I can do the speed run trophy of Sonic 2 PS3 for 15k!

That'd be quite a lot of platinum's in a day, I think I might have done 3 once, when I was doing some cleanup a couple of years ago, but it might just have been 2. I see you're milestone chasing again with that Sonic one. My 15,000th was almost a hilarious one. I think 14,999 was Failure in ICO xD

That sounds like a good plan! I'll bet most people have the same type of plans as us, trying to get rid of those backlogs. Then inevitably adding more to them lol really trying to not do that!

I'm sure they do haha ? I don't mind adding to it, I've just accepted that I'll probably never get to probably play all of them, but I'm at peace with that, so long as there's a constant stream of awesome games to have as options, for me that's all good haha.

As you will have already seen above, yes Evoland seemed really interesting. Looked at some videos too. Saw that the Playstation release is both games combined with one trophy list? Seems a bit of an odd decision to make lol 

A physical copy seems hard to come by.

Awesome, well it goes on sale every now and then. I bought it to digitally for about £4 I think, and for over thirty hours of content, that's really quite decent.

It's one of those weird cases of multiple games getting thrown into one list. The thing is, if they were separate, it might be a case that Evoland 1 wouldn't have a platinum but Evoland 2 would. 

I don't mind it too much. It did make me freak out a bit when I was playing it, as on my console I order my trophies via rarity  (mainly as it's a nice indicator of a tough trophy to knock out early if possible sometimes) so it was a little tough to find out where the Evoland list ends and Evoland 2 one begins. But thankfully there is a forum post on the site here that conveniently tells you the exact cut off point.

I wasn't aware it actually had a physical copy. Learn something new everyday ?

FFXVI just seems like SE version of Devil May Cry. I couldn't get into Kingdom Hearts partly because of the battle system. (Also because it was slow and confusing, the 1st one anyways. Probably the wrong one to try lol) 

One of my best friends said that same thing actually when he saw the initial FFXVI reveal trailer, I don't think it's too far off the mark either actually. I'm not really the person to ask when it comes to Kingdom Hearts opinions :dunno:?, my favourite one is the first one, before it went batshit crazy, so my opinion is probably very different to most fans of the series. 

• Like 1

Congrats on Pool Nation. Another fine completion time I see. ?

I’ve been looking at Pool Nation too. The PS4 version that is. I want to play more Pool games. 

But aren’t there a lot of online trophies and isn’t the online completely dead?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gruffiiti said:

Great Evoland review and its nice to see that it was a big hit with you as well. It was definitely one of my favorite games I did last year.

Thanks man! Even though I've had the game installed since I bought it, you did a hell of a good job in selling the game to me when I added it to my backlog challenge list. It really is such a good game isn't it. I suspect when I do my End of Year Awards again this year that Evoland might be getting a few nods in a fair few categories. Then again, its got some real contenders this year, as I've already tackled some pretty great games and I'm only half way done! There I go rambling again xD.

4 minutes ago, Baker said:

Congrats on Pool Nation. Another fine completion time I see. 1f605.png

I’ve been looking at Pool Nation too. The PS4 version that is. I want to play more Pool games. 

But aren’t there a lot of online trophies and isn’t the online completely dead?

Cheers dude! I really do like that game, even if it did take me A WHOPPING 7 YEARS, to knock out that hundo finally yesterday xD

Haha! I see what you did there ?.....Well - you know me, I'm not going to be winning any awards for fastest Pool game completions any time soon ?

Well you could have a ready made person to tackle the online portion in the PS4 version - I'm after nabbing that platinum myself, so, you know if you wanted to do Pool Nation on PS4.. I've got it installed on my console, and it does require just two people, a USB drive and cloud storage to get all of the online trophies done.

I think the online is pretty much dead on Pool Nation on the PS4 too unfortunately, but if you wanted to team up, the offer is there!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Well you could have a ready made person to tackle the online portion in the PS4 version - I'm after nabbing that platinum myself, so, you know if you wanted to do Pool Nation on PS4.. I've got it installed on my console, and it does require just two people, a USB drive and cloud storage to get all of the online trophies done.

I think the online is pretty much dead on Pool Nation on the PS4 too unfortunately, but if you wanted to team up, the offer is there!

Alright. Let’s do it!

I got a USB and still have PS Plus for about 1.5 months. I’m not renewing so we can’t wait too long then.

I could probably start next week. I want to finish Yakuza 3 and probably Ghostrunner first and I don’t have a lot of time to play in the next 7 days.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baker said:

Alright. Let’s do it!

I got a USB and still have PS Plus for about 1.5 months. I’m not renewing so we can’t wait too long then.

I could probably start next week. I want to finish Yakuza 3 and probably Ghostrunner first and I don’t have a lot of time to play in the next 7 days.

Fantastic! Sounds like a plan!

As far as I know going through those 10 online leagues doesn't take too long, but it is a really odd process from what I understand, but not a particularly taxing one, so we should be able to knock it out reasonably fast hopefully. Either way it's nothing like the grindy amount we had to suffer through individually for Pure Pool.

Once you've put those games to bed (I can't seem to stop using that term at the moment) I'm sure we can find a way to fit it in! So long as you still have a working controller after suffering through Yakuza 3's Batting mini-game ?. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

So long as you still have a working controller after suffering through Yakuza 3's Batting mini-game ?. 

Yeah I really don’t understand why that is considered hard. I eased through Batting and Pool in Yakuza 3.

I eased through all the minigames except that Shmup game Boxcelios. That was rage quitting material. ?

I just need to do the Ultimate Matches but I don’t foresee any problems there. I could probably run through that in 1-2 hours. I just need to find some time to play. ?

Edited by Baker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Baker said:

Yeah I really don’t understand why that is considered hard. I eased through Batting and Pool in Yakuza 3.

I eased through all the minigames except that Shmup game Boxcelios. That was rage quitting material. 1f602.png

I just need to do the Ultimate Matches but I don’t foresee any problems there. I could probably run through that in 1-2 hours. I just need to find some time to play. 1f605.png

I didn't really struggle too much with the Pool, not for beating all the players on all the difficulties anyway. It's a really bad Pool minigame ?. For some reason I struggled with potting the 9 off the break. It's really odd as the amount of time it took me to do it in the game, it would have happened about ten times over in real life. It's strange really. :dunno:

Baseball I did though, that can go sit on a spike. I made myself do the EX Hard batting 4 times as well, because I was going for in-game 100% completion too, so I needed to get the materials you get from getting the best score, silly silly me.

Looks like you and I struggled in opposite areas because I blitzed through Boxicello's pretty quickly.

If all you need is the Ultimate Matches I think you'll be done pretty soon then. There's only probably 2 or 3 of those that I think could possibly stump you for a bit. Some of those are quite inventive actually.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

No worries man, I just wanted to make sure you'd seen it, because..... well because I want as many people as possible to experience the awesomely unique game that is Evoland!

Spread the word good fellow!

Yep! I've just finished the review, going to read over it then post it after I've replied here. I also might have found someone (well another one, as a few people have suggested Hustle Kings to me in the past) willing to knock out the pesky online bits of Hustle Kings, so fingers crossed on that one.

That's great to hear! Looks like you'll have all the trophies in no time at all!

Oh that's really nice that she's starting to get into gaming a bit.... I did wonder what that dog was about in your trophy card, so that explains it! You could bust out some Lego games together if you wanted to, she might enjoy some of those.

Yeah Paw Patrol and a couple of Ryan games are the sum total at the moment. She likes to watch more than play right now but is slowly getting into it. Lego is a bit much at the mo but in the future I suspect she will probably really enjoy those. She loves the interactivity and design of Astro's Playroom, collecting all the artifacts and puzzle pieces.

Not a bad idea actually!

Absolutely - the Resident Evil design team usually do a very good job when they have a specific design brief too. Whilst I prefer Revelations 2 as a game, I think the first Revelations has got some amazing art design almost wholly across the board. I do struggle to take them seriously, as me and one of my best friends always used to childishly refer to the creatures as "Spindlywillymen" or usually variations of that.

I'll take some royalties if you decide to use that name haha

Revelations 2 is the better game, and a tough but rare platinum to boot, but Revelations had a lot going for it too including the art design. Always appreciated being able to play as Barry in Rev 2. 

"Spindlywillymen".......well........now.......errrr.........what can I say to that? lol

Yep that's the one! Well it would be, if I could get my act together and actually fire it up and make some progress with it. I do want to get it finished by the end of this year, but I don't know how realistic that is actually going to be.

You aren't wrong the guides do say 1000 hours for that game. But a lot of the battle titles are very RNG dependant on item drops and stuff. One of my PSN friends has platinumed every available version of Star Ocean: The Last Hope, and he always says 400-500 was about the average it took him for one of them. Fair play to him haha

Well sounds like you might need to push yourself into firing it up, do a little bit to start making a small amount of progress, save it up and then that's the start of getting back into it. I'm like that sometimes with big games. Need to start slowly, feel a sense of progress even if small and can then start to get into a groove again with it. 

Well fair enough, clearly your PSN friend knows their stuff so I'll take it as that. Still way too many hours for a platinum for me personally. Haven't got the time for that lol

That'd be quite a lot of platinum's in a day, I think I might have done 3 once, when I was doing some cleanup a couple of years ago, but it might just have been 2. I see you're milestone chasing again with that Sonic one. My 15,000th was almost a hilarious one. I think 14,999 was Failure in ICO xD

Well to be fair, a lot of them are very easy, short games with high platinum percentages. I always buy them cheap, make sure that it is a game I'll have some fun with (and I do most of the time) and then it'll be another platinum that gets me quicker to the next milestone lol 

OMG, that would have been hilarious in an ironic way if your 15k trophy milestone would have ended up being named 'Failure' lol 'Armed and Ready' was definitely a more appropriate sounding one lol

I'm sure they do haha 1f602.png I don't mind adding to it, I've just accepted that I'll probably never get to probably play all of them, but I'm at peace with that, so long as there's a constant stream of awesome games to have as options, for me that's all good haha.

That's fair enough and as gamers all we can ask for is to have a multitude of games that are awesome to us and give us lots of enjoyment!

Awesome, well it goes on sale every now and then. I bought it to digitally for about £4 I think, and for over thirty hours of content, that's really quite decent.

It's one of those weird cases of multiple games getting thrown into one list. The thing is, if they were separate, it might be a case that Evoland 1 wouldn't have a platinum but Evoland 2 would. 

I don't mind it too much. It did make me freak out a bit when I was playing it, as on my console I order my trophies via rarity  (mainly as it's a nice indicator of a tough trophy to knock out early if possible sometimes) so it was a little tough to find out where the Evoland list ends and Evoland 2 one begins. But thankfully there is a forum post on the site here that conveniently tells you the exact cut off point.

I wasn't aware it actually had a physical copy. Learn something new everyday 1f606.png

I've just added it to my list of games to potentially get in the future, and I set myself price targets to ensure I'm completely happy with getting the game (plus limited money lol) and I put the price at £3.99 and now I've just read that you got it for £4 lol if I had known about it and it'd been that price I'd have likely bought it lol 

That's very possible, considering the disparity in game length between the two. It's odd that it would be the case. Was the first game too short? They had lots more content, money and scope for the 2nd one?

Yeah when I was looking into it, I saw that forum post so kudos to that person for giving out that really useful info. Surely the developers could have done something, like at least put brackets with the game name in the trophy information perhaps?

Yeah I saw it on GAME and 365games I think. 

One of my best friends said that same thing actually when he saw the initial FFXVI reveal trailer, I don't think it's too far off the mark either actually. I'm not really the person to ask when it comes to Kingdom Hearts opinions :dunno:1f602.png, my favourite one is the first one, before it went batshit crazy, so my opinion is probably very different to most fans of the series. 

That's fair enough. Well like I said, I just couldn't get into the first one so didn't get into the series at all. I know the story is very convoluted. Found it funny seeing Kingdom Hearts signs at AEW events recently lol

Sadly I think FFXVI will be very DMC like in it's battle system which seems to be what they want. That type of battle system can be fun for me (Played the first DMC and it was ok but never finished it) but certainly instead of the battle system really adding to the whole experience, it'll probably take away from it for me. That's just my opinion as an old school FF fan who prefers turn based battle systems and always will. FFVIIR battle system like I've said before is probably the best blend of old and new that anyone will come up with. 

EDIT - Just wanted to add, the characters seem interesting, the designs of the world and Eikons look really great. The world itself and the potential story seems really interesting. The graphics looks fab. There is a lot going for FFXVI and I'm definitely excited for it and it's potential. Always excited for a new mainline FF game, like RE and Sonic. However along with the battle system, the lack of a party (it seems to be that way at least in battle) is also something that would impact the experience for me too. Something that I think is a big part of FF games. Anyways, that's my thoughts on that lol 

Also Sonic Frontiers looks, well.....interesting. Really hard to judge that one. SEGA not doing themselves any favours with breaking down all the parts of it into small videos. Really don't know what to make of it, but so far lots of things that I'd expect in a Sonic game have not been presented. Will it work out? Hope so but we will see.

Edited by The_Kopite
Updated information
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 10:21 AM, rjkclarke said:

2064 wouldn't be a bad jumping in point for the genre actually, yeah. Purely because it's a really good hybrid of a few genres, so it isn't just strictly reading text for hours on end. To be honest, I still think it would be very good even if it was just reading through text, but it's got a lot more interactivity to it, a bit like VA11Hall-A does. So I'm hoping that when you eventually do, you end up having a great time with that one. 

And VA11Hall-A just went on sale...

I might be looking at a few new challenge additions if things keep going well!

I can imagine - even though I haven't really played any of the modern ones, I think if I did I'd find it practically impossible not to at least mention it a little bit.

The thing with that sort of fan service in games is that, and I'm still not sure how to articulate this exactly, I just don't care for sexually charged material mixed into my games. Dynasty Warriors is a particular offender - like seriously? The men have this armor, these helmets, these boots, and the women are fighting off thousands of foes... with high heels and skirts?? When they get hit, they may as well be like "hhhhyyyAAAHHHHHH!!!"

Now are they attractive? Of course. But how does that help make the game a better experience? It's not like they're making Malena: The Game and exploring the perspective of an attractive woman or anything that specifically requires women to be perfectly shaped. If I wanted something to walk up to my pants and knock on the door like "come on out buddy, I got somethin you're gonna like," there are plenty of avenues for that - this doesn't have to be one of them!

I am in small company there, and I'm okay with it. But even stuff like playing with Sheva's different outfits after a while made me feel like a bit of a creep?

Whew. Sorry about that, it was kind of like a sneeze?

I totally wrote Cher's dude by mistake.... Then my brain wandered off into a tangent about being Cher's dude....... ANYWAY 1f62c.png

What's wrong with that? You strike me as the type who believes in life after love!

It is very much a clone of Triple Triad too, but it works surprisingly well. I'm actually a little bummed out that there isn't more of it in the original Evoland. That's actually a slight downside to my review in hindsight, in that the first Evoland almost just doesn't seem that good compared to how I spoke about Evoland 2. The original is still great, it's just very short, and very limited.

I'm glad it's a package deal though, they both sound like a great time! I also really dig how they seem to have spread their creative wings a lot more with the second one.. after all, that's what sophomore efforts are for!

I liked that aspect too, that it definitely takes inspiration yet seeks to do its own unique thing. As you said, it isn't easy, and it's even harder doing it with such a beloved franchise. Funny really, as that cropped up in your latest game too with Unmetal

Makes me all the more curious, really!

On 6/7/2022 at 1:37 PM, rjkclarke said:

Pool Nation (PS3)

L82ddb3.png

As usual, a great write-up! I find it interesting how of all the games that could use realistic physics and sound, this genre may require it most of all, I love how you get into that aspect with these games.

Also, and this is completely my own ignorance speaking, when I hear about a career mode I'm like whaaaa?? Since it's something I don't follow, the only point of reference I have is that Twilight Zone episode where Jack Klugman plays Fats Whoever to become the best Pool player in the universe!

I've mentioned this to you before, maybe it wouldn't be the worst idea for me to try our a beginner-friendly Pool game.. you just make it sound like such a satisfying experience! Every time I'd play, though, I'd feel the need to arm myself with a pitcher of beer or two - for realism sake, of course!!

Good shit, homie?

• Like 1

On 08/06/2022 at 7:55 AM, The_Kopite said:

Yeah Paw Patrol and a couple of Ryan games are the sum total at the moment. She likes to watch more than play right now but is slowly getting into it. Lego is a bit much at the mo but in the future I suspect she will probably really enjoy those. She loves the interactivity and design of Astro's Playroom, collecting all the artifacts and puzzle pieces.

I think I started out just being content to watch people play the games myself.

Nice! Well it sounds like before long she'll be cranking out some platinum's alongside her Dad!

From what little I've seen of Astro's Playrom I could totally see how kids would be really enamoured with a game like that, so it's pretty cool that's one of the ones that's particularly caught her attention.

Revelations 2 is the better game, and a tough but rare platinum to boot, but Revelations had a lot going for it too including the art design. Always appreciated being able to play as Barry in Rev 2. 

"Spindlywillymen".......well........now.......errrr.........what can I say to that? lol

They really leaned into the infected marine life aspect of Revelations in how it was designed, and they really did a great job with that I thought.

There was lots of names we had for all of the creatures in Revelations 1, it's just part and parcel with being idiots.... and having to play the same level a shedload of times, so at that point we had to kind of make our own fun, so we did haha!

Yep, Revelations 2 is a better game, I think. In fact I think that's a criminally underrated Resident Evil game. AND you can play as Barry, I mean that wins it extra points almost just for that!

Well sounds like you might need to push yourself into firing it up, do a little bit to start making a small amount of progress, save it up and then that's the start of getting back into it. I'm like that sometimes with big games. Need to start slowly, feel a sense of progress even if small and can then start to get into a groove again with it. 

Well fair enough, clearly your PSN friend knows their stuff so I'll take it as that. Still way too many hours for a platinum for me personally. Haven't got the time for that lol

I definitely do, but as much as I hate to say it, I'm finding myself less and less motivated to turn my PS3 on these days, I've just got far less backlog on my PS3 now so I'm finding far and far less reasons to want to go back. But if I recontextualise my thoughts a bit I'm sure I could make a 500 hour RPG one of them haha ?

I'll take your always helpful advice onboard and try and MAKE myself get excited to go back to it.

You could have the time for it, you'd just not be able to play any other games for a long time, which is kind of why my motivation for it ends up dying on it's arse.

That's why I thought if I do like a couple of hours a week, it'll eventually average out and I'll have finished it by the end of the year, haha ? just starting it is the problem xD

Well to be fair, a lot of them are very easy, short games with high platinum percentages. I always buy them cheap, make sure that it is a game I'll have some fun with (and I do most of the time) and then it'll be another platinum that gets me quicker to the next milestone lol 

OMG, that would have been hilarious in an ironic way if your 15k trophy milestone would have ended up being named 'Failure' lol 'Armed and Ready' was definitely a more appropriate sounding one lol

That's not a bad way to go about it, and if you're enjoying that then go for it, especially when you rather like milestones. The unfortunate thing is after your next at 250, they're every 50 I believe. Sounds like you could probably jump to popping #300 soon after if you wanted haha.

It took me a year and a bit to go from 300-350, but then I wasn't trying to get there any quicker than I would have otherwise ?

I think it would have been hilarious too if that had been Failure for 15K, if we got one every 500 15.5K would have been Loser from Final Fantasy VIII for losing a rare card in Triple Triad, and I only remember because I made a funny (to me anyway) post somewhere in here about it haha.

I've just added it to my list of games to potentially get in the future, and I set myself price targets to ensure I'm completely happy with getting the game (plus limited money lol) and I put the price at £3.99 and now I've just read that you got it for £4 lol if I had known about it and it'd been that price I'd have likely bought it lol 

That's very possible, considering the disparity in game length between the two. It's odd that it would be the case. Was the first game too short? They had lots more content, money and scope for the 2nd one?

Well hopefully you might have a bit of wiggle room of like a pound or two for Evoland. It's very much worth the money I think.

The first game isn't too short for what it is - in fact Evoland 1 is probably the perfect length. It even has some very small post game content, I just think that it's smaller scope might not have gotten it a platinum, but who knows.

I think you're probably right on the money with Evoland 2 that they had a lot more money to play around with and a slightly bigger dev team for it, so they could expand it massively like they did. It still seems a bit strange to just put them out as a combined whole trophy list though. You definitely don't see that all that often.

That's fair enough. Well like I said, I just couldn't get into the first one so didn't get into the series at all. I know the story is very convoluted. Found it funny seeing Kingdom Hearts signs at AEW events recently lol

Sadly I think FFXVI will be very DMC like in it's battle system which seems to be what they want. That type of battle system can be fun for me (Played the first DMC and it was ok but never finished it) but certainly instead of the battle system really adding to the whole experience, it'll probably take away from it for me. That's just my opinion as an old school FF fan who prefers turn based battle systems and always will. FFVIIR battle system like I've said before is probably the best blend of old and new that anyone will come up with. 

Convoluted is an understatement when it comes to Kingdom Hearts, however much I might like the series ?... some of those weird gaming references on AEW signs have gotten more and more niche as the months have gone on.

I've also only played the first 3 DMC's, and I liked them a lot actually, I think having a DMC inspired combat style is at least preferable to XV's which wasn't really doing anything unique at all, at least until the DLC's released and added some genuine depth to it.

This is going to sound blasphemous, but I'm cool with it not being slower or more turned based. My patience for turn based battling is getting thinner and thinner for some reason, it's gotta be really fast paced for me to engage with it nowadays. It can still be great of course, but it's not something I'm hankering for more of :dunno:

EDIT - Just wanted to add, the characters seem interesting, the designs of the world and Eikons look really great. The world itself and the potential story seems really interesting. The graphics looks fab. There is a lot going for FFXVI and I'm definitely excited for it and it's potential. Always excited for a new mainline FF game, like RE and Sonic. However along with the battle system, the lack of a party (it seems to be that way at least in battle) is also something that would impact the experience for me too. Something that I think is a big part of FF games. Anyways, that's my thoughts on that lol 

Also Sonic Frontiers looks, well.....interesting. Really hard to judge that one. SEGA not doing themselves any favours with breaking down all the parts of it into small videos. Really don't know what to make of it, but so far lots of things that I'd expect in a Sonic game have not been presented. Will it work out? Hope so but we will see.

You know what - I hadn't really thought too much about the lack of party thing, that is odd though. Something I often thought would be cool for an FF title, is like a floating party, not literally, I mean like the characters just float in and out at different parts of the story, but aside from that you're on your own. If they can manage to write a compelling protagonist (which I'm doubtful of) then it could be great.

I haven't got an opinion on Sonic Frontiers, one way or another. As the last modern Sonic game I played was Sonic Heroes (that megadrive collection for PS3 doesn't count) - I'll just see what you have to say about Sonic Frontiers when it releases, as you'd have a much better idea than I would over whether or not it'sactually a good Sonic game.

20 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

And VA11Hall-A just went on sale...

I might be looking at a few new challenge additions if things keep going well!

it did! So get on and buy that! alongside everyone else I've relentlessly recommended it to over the last 6 months xD... Or I will mention it more in the same way HOMER TALKS ABOUT THOMAS EDISON..... again! ?

Yes, please do play it, and 2064: Read Only Memories too, because they're both excellent! Well in my opinion obviously.

The thing with that sort of fan service in games is that, and I'm still not sure how to articulate this exactly, I just don't care for sexually charged material mixed into my games. Dynasty Warriors is a particular offender - like seriously? The men have this armor, these helmets, these boots, and the women are fighting off thousands of foes... with high heels and skirts?? When they get hit, they may as well be like "hhhhyyyAAAHHHHHH!!!"

Now are they attractive? Of course. But how does that help make the game a better experience? It's not like they're making Malena: The Game and exploring the perspective of an attractive woman or anything that specifically requires women to be perfectly shaped. If I wanted something to walk up to my pants and knock on the door like "come on out buddy, I got somethin you're gonna like," there are plenty of avenues for that - this doesn't have to be one of them!

I am in small company there, and I'm okay with it. But even stuff like playing with Sheva's different outfits after a while made me feel like a bit of a creep1f631.png

Whew. Sorry about that, it was kind of like a sneeze1f604.png

You've told me plenty lately that it's fine to have a vent on the side.... So vent away my friend!

It might be small company, but it is company that I join you in, and I don't think we're the only ones who hang out in checklist land that thinks that way either, but I can't speak for them obviously.

It's not something I particularly get either - outside of the obvious, sex sells thing. It's why I'm very fond of the recent iteration of Lara Croft, because she's presented as a person first and foremost, off the top of my head I can't really think of any times where she's overly sexualised or objectified...

THAT BEING SAID ? - I would have been playing Sheva as the Red Riding Hood costume if we'd played the story of RE5 together, just because I thought it looked cool.... and the alternative is the tribal one, which is borderline racist, or some bland or over sexualised ones.

What's wrong with that? You strike me as the type who believes in life after love!

Maybe ?...... I do have a bit of soft spot for Cher.... I also think she's an incredibly talented actress who I almost wish had pursued a different career path than she did, because as great as a lot of her performances are, she could have had so many more!

As usual, a great write-up! I find it interesting how of all the games that could use realistic physics and sound, this genre may require it most of all, I love how you get into that aspect with these games.

Also, and this is completely my own ignorance speaking, when I hear about a career mode I'm like whaaaa?? Since it's something I don't follow, the only point of reference I have is that Twilight Zone episode where Jack Klugman plays Fats Whoever to become the best Pool player in the universe!

I've mentioned this to you before, maybe it wouldn't be the worst idea for me to try our a beginner-friendly Pool game.. you just make it sound like such a satisfying experience! Every time I'd play, though, I'd feel the need to arm myself with a pitcher of beer or two - for realism sake, of course!!

Good shit, homie1f44a.png

Thanks man!

I don't know that realistic physics and sound are important to everyone when it comes to a Pool game, but they are to me, and I really do feel like the game suffers as a whole if they're inaccurate or just don't quite work the way that they should!

There's like a whole professional Pool tour, multiple ones actually, depending on the different disciplines of Pool. I don't watch all of them obviously (time is finite after all) but I try to catch what I can. I really wish Cherry Pop Games, the ones that made Pool Nation could get the official licenses, because they could make an incredibly good career mode in those games if it had real players in the game, but that's obviously a whole lot more work and effort!

I've heard of that Twilight Zone episode, but not seen it.  I'm guessing it was Minnesota Fats (the real life player, that Jackie Gleason plays in The Hustler)  that he was playing, and it wouldn't surprise me if the real Fats played the part in the episode, he still played at a pretty high level even when he was quite old. 

Pool Nation on the PS4, might not be the worst place to start, it's got a fair few online trophies in it though, but apart from those the single player is pretty adaptable as far as skill level goes. and it's got some good tutorials in it, that'll help you learn the ropes. You can play around with difficulty and aim line  until you find something you're comfortable with, which is nice. Trophy-wise the single player is pretty short though, as I basically did almost all of the requirements in two short play sessions. I'll still be playing the game a lot though, even after I platinum it I think, it's similar to Pool Nation on PS3, but not as brutally difficult as that one. So if you see that one on sale it might be worth a look.

I'm off to give my Limbo review a quick read through, and then I'll post that up, after the nightmare I had trying to get the Limbo icon into where I keep all my reviews, as the picture on the site goes automatically see through, so I had to end up making one myself, and I know the other icons that go in there will look ever so slightly off now because of it.... but erm, rambling aside that's my boring shitty admin problem xD

• Like 1

Limbo is great. It's in my top 20 favourite games probably. Or maybe 25. I'll think about it later ?.

So the first time I heard about Limbo was from a local gaming magazine, I believe. The review had a 10/10 score. It was placed right after another 10/10 review from the same editor which was Super Mario Galaxy 2, if I remember correctly. I played it on PC shortly after and was definitely impressed. 

I think we all agree that Playdead nailed the overall atmosphere. The art style, music, and sound design compliment it really well. The puzzles are really smart and intuitive. The minimalist nature of the game doesn't stand in their way.

In terms of story, this game is comparable to a good painting. You can appreciate the art itself, but it also tries to evoke a feeling and shows a story. And they can be interpreted in different ways. You can also compare it to a song with vague lyrics that tell a story without being specific. It can be relatable to different people that will come up with their own meaning. And you can also discuss it.

I remember seeing some theories on YouTube where people tried to explain not only the ending, but also the meaning behind each area of the game. Interesting stuff, indeed.

Inside is veeery similar but unique at the same time. Haven't played it myself, but I saw the full game on stream. It gives you a lot of food for thought. But that's a discussion for another time ?.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

So get on and buy that! alongside everyone else I've relentlessly recommended it to over the last 6 months xD... Or I will mention it more in the same way HOMER TALKS ABOUT THOMAS EDISON..... again! 1f602.png

I guess I'll add it to the shopping list then! After I get myself a pair of hamburger ear muffs, of course...

Sidenote: for our Simpsons game, we need a You Solved the Pickle Matrix trophy.

It might be small company, but it is company that I join you in, and I don't think we're the only ones who hang out in checklist land that thinks that way either, but I can't speak for them obviously.

It's not something I particularly get either - outside of the obvious, sex sells thing. It's why I'm very fond of the recent iteration of Lara Croft, because she's presented as a person first and foremost, off the top of my head I can't really think of any times where she's overly sexualised or objectified...

THAT BEING SAID 1f602.png - I would have been playing Sheva as the Red Riding Hood costume if we'd played the story of RE5 together, just because I thought it looked cool.... and the alternative is the tribal one, which is borderline racist, or some bland or over sexualised ones.

I appreciate that, can't help feeling like a nag or a buzz kill whenever this sort of thing comes up, so more often than not I keep that stuff to myself. Absolutely agreed that it's part of the proven Sex Sells mindset, but given how us male gamers are not exactly known for always being respecful of our female counterparts, it makes it a touch more disheartening!

Maybe 1f60f.png...... I do have a bit of soft spot for Cher.... I also think she's an incredibly talented actress who I almost wish had pursued a different career path than she did, because as great as a lot of her performances are, she could have had so many more!

Agreed! And funny you mention that... in light of the unfortunate circumstances regarding a certain issue in the states at the moment, I dug up If These Walls Could Talk to show my wife, in which Cher has a small but powerful part. She belongs in a small class of entertainers that truly excelled at everything she attempted. Always got time to give Cher some love?

Thanks man!

I don't know that realistic physics and sound are important to everyone when it comes to a Pool game, but they are to me, and I really do feel like the game suffers as a whole if they're inaccurate or just don't quite work the way that they should!

There's like a whole professional Pool tour, multiple ones actually, depending on the different disciplines of Pool. I don't watch all of them obviously (time is finite after all) but I try to catch what I can. I really wish Cherry Pop Games, the ones that made Pool Nation could get the official licenses, because they could make an incredibly good career mode in those games if it had real players in the game, but that's obviously a whole lot more work and effort!

You've mentioned that before, and it made me feel so ignorant! I have a buddy who's a bowler and he travels for tournaments and stuff like that. Crazy how every type of sport has the same thing going on essentially, just some are better advertised than others. Also it seems like that kind of career mode would be a lot of fun in game form!

I've heard of that Twilight Zone episode, but not seen it.  I'm guessing it was Minnesota Fats (the real life player, that Jackie Gleason plays in The Hustler)  that he was playing, and it wouldn't surprise me if the real Fats played the part in the episode, he still played at a pretty high level even when he was quite old. 

I don't remember the exact name, but in all likelihood he was in the very least based on him. I take it they didn't call him Minnesota Fats just because he was morbidly obese?

Man, I really gotta stop slipping Simpsons references into every exchange we have?

Limbo (PS4)

Limbo-Thumbnail.png

Awesome read as always! I've had my eye on this one for years... I suspect it will be similar to my experience with Mark of the Ninja. I was impressed but wary, avoided for years, then finally at long last played and absolutely fell in love. It just looks so cool.

Guess I'll have another look at the games on sale.... you really need to start making YouTuber type deals with these developers, and you could end your write-ups like "Make sure you use the promo code THOMASEDISON and save 10%!"

• Like 1