rjkclarke's Carnival of Diamonds and Rust

rjkclarke

Thanks for the tag on Subject13. Like you I picked it up for less than the price of a shitty gas (petrol) station coffee. At that price I figured it likely can't disappoint. It is good to see a mostly positive review on it from you and I am glad you tagged me as it caused me to read the next review for Brothers which I may have missed for some time otherwise. I loved this game but remember thinking multiple times while playing that I wished they had created it for co-op play as that would just take it to the next level. I had however never thought to share a controller and play co-op in that way. That is just brilliant and I am glad you both had a fantastic journey with it.

I also really enjoyed reading the duo-review and hope to see more.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

It's really nice to read a review of yours again on here!

Stray was a pretty fun experience, but after having played God of War Ragnarok and some Elden Ring... yeah Stray isn't GOTY 2022. I got the urge to play it every time I saw my uncle's cat, and he probably got sick of me telling him every week I wanted to play it. I think the game is about the right length as well, it doesn't overstay its welcome. The trophy names are well thought out too, I like that some effort was made there - but agreed, the speedrun trophy sucks.

Glad playing it with me helped you get this review done, and it'll be nice to read some reviews of yours more often since I've not read many of your new ones since knowing you really ?. You're a great writer, so it would've been a massive shame if you had stopped reviewing games on here. 

• Like 4

OH IT'S THE ORANGE CAT GAME REVIEW!

Sir_Mittens_Meme_480x480.jpg?v=161473154

Glad to have you back xD I honestly loved this game (and I am glad that I somehow coined this game). This is the GOOD Orange Cat game, to not be confused with the BAD Orange Fat Cat game Diabeetus edition.

Yes, the charm of the game is given by the fact that you play as a cat. Yes if it was something else (a dog, an iguana, a robot, that girl from Forspoken) it would have not been as good. It's the cat that makes the charm in the end :D 

7 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Not just from a visually interesting standpoint, the cat aspect allowed them to tailor specific parts of the gameplay, and design puzzle solutions based on things that only a cat could do.

Whilst this is strictly a review of the PS4 version I also watched my girlfriend play this on her PS5, on New Year’s Eve, and New Years day. She would never have needed puzzle clues, or anything of that nature, she’s an incredibly smart lady after all, but the one thing I did say to her was “think like a cat.”

This...is exactly the trick. Even now I remember how I got stuck into a room, no way out...until I realized "wait, I am a goddamn cat, I can just go through those bars"...which I did. Because I am a cat, not a human, so I fits.

I have to say, Annapurna nailed the cat feeling, at least in the first half of the game. It gets kinda weird in the last section of the game where you have to activate some switches in a weird not-cat like manner, but at least the first half of the game is solid!

It’s something that I think can only be achieved as effectively, as the sound effects of the orange cat itself, I’ve had several friends remark on how their own cat reacted to hearing the in-game cat, which is a true testament to just how convincing those sound effects actually are. Some were mesmerised, others terrified.    

My sister watched the gameplay of Stray via youtube, while her cat was around. While the Orange Cat was meowing, suddenly the irl cat hissed and ran away.

...I really am curious what the hell did they record in the game.

I don’t usually tend to discuss trophies all too often in these reviews these days, but I feel like the speedrun trophy in Stray, is one that deserves a mention, as for me, it’s a genuine criticism that I think is fair to levy at the games platinum experience.

I understand that it’s optional, and that we ultimately have a choice in whether we do, or don’t do it.....

I normally hate speedruns in videogames, but... Stray was abit special. Yeah, it made no sense to speedrun the game, but given that a. My cat runs like a possessed demon whenever it hears that I open a can of food and b. This Video...Speedrunning wasn't as bad as I expected. Plus the time was lenient enough xD 

It really improves the mood when you sing Deja-Vu like a crazy cat lover.

Awesome review!! I am glad you used the Orange Cat Game for your return :> 

• Like 3

On 1/26/2023 at 11:16 AM, rjkclarke said:

I think A Way Out is one of those ones where I'm feeling more sorry for the person I'll be playing it with, because I can already predict she's going to hear me so many times saying things like "Oh my god those haircuts are appalling, oh they make my eyes bleed..... He liked the pudding basin look, huh"..... Yeah I expect she's going to hear that plenty, but I'm also interested in the actual co-op element of it, I've heard that aspect is actually good.

It is, it's surprisingly fun! I feel you on the haircuts though, it's like when you'd go through the creation suite in those old SvR games and find the most outlandish hair and facial hair just to make a goofy ass wrestler with it. If Josef Fares remembered a tag team he made once on Here Comes the Pain and got his brother and another actor to rock the look, that'd be pretty funny?

You and me both have been eyeing up Orba Dinn actually, I've had it on my radar for ages, but the tightwad in me hasn't seen it for a price I like yet, but I really ought to just play it, because it seems like a really engrossing time, if you decide to you know, solve the puzzles yourself xD

Definitely feel you on that, it's funny when there's a game you wanna play on sale but you're like "Do I fifteen dollars want to play this, or are we waiting for the Under $10 bin? ...yeah come back when you're five bucks, bro."

I'm trying to be a firm parent with myself this year, like "You already have over a hundred games at home that you haven't even played." "But I want i-" "That's enough little Smevz, we're going home." So don't feel bad for your inner tightwad, he really is doing you a solid. It's for your own good, and uh, it hurts him more than it hurts you, or something.

Not gonna lie man, I think that'd be cool as shit if she started up her own thread or started writing reviews herself for funsies. That has to come from her though, I'm just happy she'll occasionally write some with me, but if she decides to, you can be sure I'll be, and a lot of us here probably will (no pressure, on you guys, or her xD ), be supporting her every step of the way. 

Absolutely! Either way, I just think it's dope that you met someone who is happy sharing this world with you (PSN and general gaming, not in some grandiose Hallmark kind of way), ya love to see it.

Platinum #362

Stray (PS4)

Lb49427.png

And he's back like he ain't never left!

I feel you on rarely playing a new game as it's come out, this wouldve been a great one to do that with - feels like all the PSN homies been talkin about this one for the past year! It's been cool for me as a passerby, but also makes me think that by the time I finally get to playing it and writing about it there won't be shit left to say?

Crazy that you've got your cat love tattooed into your forehead like that! I'm not exactly a cat person myself, though like pretty much everyone else on the planet I still like them - just not enough to be like "how cute, it clawed out one of my eyes... ooh, now it's disemboweling an insect! ADORBZ."

I really like the cat mechanics (that sounds weird) you focus on, I remember being surprisingly excited at the prospect of playing as a cat in those sections of Soul Suspect only to be left wanting more. It's cool to think that a developer was like "Cats need proper representin, son" and saw that concept through.

Also, I love me some well-implemented gibberish in my games! That's impressive as fuck though that they were able to make it to such an extent that actual cats respond to the noises from the game, that's some next level shit!

It's awesome to see you getting back into the swing of things, man! We been missin that patented Clarke love?

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/01/2023 at 7:59 PM, Redblaziken8 said:

It's really nice to read a review of yours again on here!

Stray was a pretty fun experience, but after having played God of War Ragnarok and some Elden Ring... yeah Stray isn't GOTY 2022. I got the urge to play it every time I saw my uncle's cat, and he probably got sick of me telling him every week I wanted to play it. I think the game is about the right length as well, it doesn't overstay its welcome. The trophy names are well thought out too, I like that some effort was made there - but agreed, the speedrun trophy sucks.

Glad playing it with me helped you get this review done, and it'll be nice to read some reviews of yours more often since I've not read many of your new ones since knowing you really 1f604.png. You're a great writer, so it would've been a massive shame if you had stopped reviewing games on here. 

It's nice to be back writing one on here again - try and ignore the irony that I'm replying to you on here and you're less than ten feet away from me right now... and of course, that a lot of the things you read in that review you hadn't heard straight from my mouth, as I watched you play it xD

You know.... Where my brain went when you mentioned your uncles cat..... "Hello...... " ? Can't help but laugh at that one. If he ever plays it himself I do worry the IRL cat will freak out like so many other peoples have done.

That speeedrun trophy can indeed get in the bin.

On 26/01/2023 at 7:59 PM, Copanele said:

Glad to have you back xD I honestly loved this game (and I am glad that I somehow coined this game). This is the GOOD Orange Cat game, to not be confused with the BAD Orange Fat Cat game Diabeetus edition.

Yes, the charm of the game is given by the fact that you play as a cat. Yes if it was something else (a dog, an iguana, a robot, that girl from Forspoken) it would have not been as good. It's the cat that makes the charm in the end :D 

I would also be up for any variation of dog, iguana and robot to be fair, so long as it had a similar charm to Stray.... I also because of you just always refer to this game as Orange Cat Game, but I will skip out on full Orange Cat Series Completion, and avoid anything Garfield related xD

This...is exactly the trick. Even now I remember how I got stuck into a room, no way out...until I realized "wait, I am a goddamn cat, I can just go through those bars"...which I did. Because I am a cat, not a human, so I fits.

I have to say, Annapurna nailed the cat feeling, at least in the first half of the game. It gets kinda weird in the last section of the game where you have to activate some switches in a weird not-cat like manner, but at least the first half of the game is solid!

I also did that myself, where I was in a little room with bars on it. And then was like.... "How the hell do I get through this dooo....... Oh well done Rob, cats don't usually use doors"

I do agree with you though, the feeling does go a little weird when you get to the whole cats with fricking laser beams, attached to their freaking heads thing haha, but I still think the overall feel of the game is very good.

While the Orange Cat was meowing, suddenly the irl cat hissed and ran away.

...I really am curious what the hell did they record in the game.

For some reason when I read IRL cat, I laughed my arse off, and I have done ever since, and I feel a compulsion to refer to every single cat as an IRL cat xD

They really did do a hell of a job with those sounds considering just how many stories I've heard about cats getting absolutely freaked out by the game.

On 29/01/2023 at 7:20 PM, YaManSmevz said:

t is, it's surprisingly fun! I feel you on the haircuts though, it's like when you'd go through the creation suite in those old SvR games and find the most outlandish hair and facial hair just to make a goofy ass wrestler with it. If Josef Fares remembered a tag team he made once on Here Comes the Pain and got his brother and another actor to rock the look, that'd be pretty funny1f604.png

Oh man, that's hilarious. I think you may have just stumbled onto the formula of how Josef Fares designed his characters in this game.... I'm definitely going to play it though out of curiosity, and it definitely looks pretty fun from a co-op perspective, so I'm hoping that Red and I can have a decent chunk of fun with that one.

On 29/01/2023 at 7:20 PM, YaManSmevz said:

And he's back like he ain't never left!

I feel you on rarely playing a new game as it's come out, this wouldve been a great one to do that with - feels like all the PSN homies been talkin about this one for the past year! It's been cool for me as a passerby, but also makes me think that by the time I finally get to playing it and writing about it there won't be shit left to say?

Crazy that you've got your cat love tattooed into your forehead like that! I'm not exactly a cat person myself, though like pretty much everyone else on the planet I still like them - just not enough to be like "how cute, it clawed out one of my eyes... ooh, now it's disemboweling an insect! ADORBZ."

I really like the cat mechanics (that sounds weird) you focus on, I remember being surprisingly excited at the prospect of playing as a cat in those sections of Soul Suspect only to be left wanting more. It's cool to think that a developer was like "Cats need proper representin, son" and saw that concept through.

Also, I love me some well-implemented gibberish in my games! That's impressive as fuck though that they were able to make it to such an extent that actual cats respond to the noises from the game, that's some next level shit!

It's awesome to see you getting back into the swing of things, man! We been missin that patented Clarke love1f44a.png

Thanks man! It's really good to be back.... And also.... I have another review to drop later tonight, I meant to finish it about a week ago. But now I have, so I'll throw it up later on.

Stray is definitely one worth looking into, I'm sure you'd probably have a decent chunk of fun with it, ever you wanted a nice chilled experience that sets you back about ten hours or so. And I can almost guarantee that you'd have an absolute blast with the soundtrack, and being a bit of a musician yourself there's a cool little sidequest in there about giving a little musician robot it's musical mojo back.

You know what. I totally forgot that there was a section in Soul Suspect where you play as a cat, it's one of those parts of the game I think just went in, and then flew straight out the other.

Like I said to Copa a bit further up - whilst it might be a little derivative to just be like "insert animal here" kind of game.... I do think that exploring some unique gameplay elements with other animals, and seeing exactly where you can go with that creatively does have some furry, or scaly (let's not discriminate) legs in it,

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

It's nice to be back writing one on here again - try and ignore the irony that I'm replying to you on here and you're less than ten feet away from me right now... and of course, that a lot of the things you read in that review you hadn't heard straight from my mouth, as I watched you play it xD

My wife and I do that on social media too! It's fun to have multiple conversations that way, I don't know what it is, a playfulness I guess?

Oh man, that's hilarious. I think you may have just stumbled onto the formula of how Josef Fares designed his characters in this game.... I'm definitely going to play it though out of curiosity, and it definitely looks pretty fun from a co-op perspective, so I'm hoping that Red and I can have a decent chunk of fun with that one.

It is! I think you guys would have a good time with it, especially since you're not gonna go in expecting Secret of Mana or something. It could easily be beaten in 1-2 sittings, and so long as you know where to stop for the trophy shit, it'll be a nice one and done!

Stray is definitely one worth looking into, I'm sure you'd probably have a decent chunk of fun with it, ever you wanted a nice chilled experience that sets you back about ten hours or so. And I can almost guarantee that you'd have an absolute blast with the soundtrack, and being a bit of a musician yourself there's a cool little sidequest in there about giving a little musician robot it's musical mojo back.

Ooh.. I like that!

You know what. I totally forgot that there was a section in Soul Suspect where you play as a cat, it's one of those parts of the game I think just went in, and then flew straight out the other.

It stuck with me because I thought it was such a cool switch up, but there was a lot more they could have done with it. Seems like Stray is the correction for that!

54 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Platinum #363

Coffee Talk (PS4)

L6eddce.png

This review is serving as a reminder to get into VA-11 Hall-A sooner than later. Thanks to you, I own it as well as 2064 (which looks to provide my Blue in the Kaleidoscope Challenge, funny enough) so I've really no excuse!

Coffee Talk definitely looks cute. I like the idea of a chill, jazz bumpin coffee shop, and who am I to argue with a setting as fine as Frasierland? And if it successfully emulates the experience of a customer service position with a sea of friendly faces, well then I'm on board with that too! But honestly, this isn't a genre I'm exactly frothing at the mouth to get into with VA11's exception, so I think I'll wait til I play that, see what I think, and keep this one in mind. Good job as always, my dude!

• Like 2