Trophies for Mental Health (Event)

I’m interested in this, but have a quick query as to your leniency. 

The game that instantly sprang to mind for me was Seasons After Fall. The story revolves around issues such as a lack of trust, self-doubt and fear, and loneliness. It doesn’t explicitly tackle any certain mental illness, but the issues recounted above are all closely tied to mental health. 

Similarly, the way in which the story works to build up the character in need; sympathising, reassuring, and believing in her, strongly reflects the positive support and uplifting that can be used to help combat mental illnesses. 

If this helps sway the decision, it’s also a very soothing game that I imagine could be of great comfort for those in need. 

So I'm just wondering if you think it’d be acceptable? Anybody here who has played it is welcome to chime in too. 

• Like 2

If I can recommend a game that you can add on that list.

It's called The Town of Light and it's a first persona horror adventure that takes places in mental asylum and was inspired by real events of psychiatric hospital in Tuscany called Volterra. Played through myself and I learned a lot from that game, although, parts can be disturbing.

It's an interesting study on mental health and one that would be fitting for this challenge.  

Edited by MarcusPunisher
more stuff to add
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I'm 32 years old and still experience mental health issues at least once a month, if not more.

I generally avoid games that focus on mental health awareness or send a hidden message regarding such. David Cage games (Heavy Rain, Detroit: Become Human and Beyond Two Souls) I guess dive a little into mental health awareness? I can easily pick out characters in both who suffer from mental health issues, such as Ethan in Heavy Rain, but I already did that game on two different systems.

Don't know if I will join this event or not.

I'm in my 30s as well, have suffered myself daily from panic disorder(medicated thankfully). The pandemic realllly did no favors. 

You're not alone my friend

I'll join, not sure what game yet

btw is I am Bread really a recommendation? I've never played it, never had an interest, but now I'm curious in what the heck the game is about lol

• Like 4

I would like to join, but I'm to overworked and to irritated to think about the subject.. (well, let's just say that I have been extremely overworked trying to keep my workplace afloat for the last 6 months, and while things weren't exactly improving much, I was at least able to keep things going and avoid total morale breakdown from everyone to see if things could potentially improve,  now a new coworker managed to irritated/antagonize everyone there in her first morning of work because she thinks that she is in an untouchable position, and because of that she quite likely did damages beyond repair..).

I should be sleeping,  but I'm to angry and restless to be able to sleep... after all,  if it was for things go wrong, I would rather have quit 6 months ago (well, I never know when to quit...)

Anyway,  count me in, since I may actually get something done that is fitting the theme. I'm working on Nier Automata... there's a lot of spoilers that I can elaborate in a mental health point of view, although I think that's more human society philosophy than a mental health issue theme... I'm also thinking in finishing Caligula Effect, and that's essentially an agglomeration of any and all mental health issues in a single package (in a huge way, it's the central theme).

• Like 2

Great idea @Beyondthegrave07 - I’m in.

I will have to decide which game to do (I have done a few games from the list already) and will have a think about that today - but in the meantime, I would just like to recommend a game to add to the list - Rainswept

I played it a few months back, and it deals with depression and self destructive behaviour - especially in relationships - in quite an affecting way, I found.

1 hour ago, Dav9834 said:

btw is I am Bread really a recommendation? I've never played it, never had an interest, but now I'm curious in what the heck the game is about lol

That is a very difficult platinum to get. Unless you have nerves of steel and are extremely patient with very high precision, definitely skip this one.

• Like 2

Don't know if counts, but Soma deals a lot with existentialists crisis (it leans more to a philosophy rather than psychology but is equally impactful), and as is played from FPV I guess the player have the experience of the main character, and s/he becomes aware of potential issues that can lead to identify mental health issues too. 

Good luck to everyone who'll participate in the challenge! :) 

• Like 3

@Beyondthegrave07 

Just curious why you picked Songbird Symphony for your list? The protagonist is a baby bird that doesn’t know it’s species/who his parents are and is sad about that, but I’m not sure if I would categorize it as a game about mental illness? Unless I missed something.

My own suggestions to add:

In Between is a puzzle game with each batch of levels representing the five stages of grief. The protagonist goes through memories of his life as he comes to terms with his own terminal cancer diagnosis.

Anamorphine is a walking sim about a guy who is struggling with PTSD going through his memories of everything that lead up to “it”. Helpfully, the game warns you when the really dark scene is coming up and even allows you to just skip it.

The First Tree is an intertwining story about a fox looking for her missing Cubs with a voiceover story of a man’s struggles with... stuff. I can’t remember details; It’s been awhile since I played this game.

Three Fourths Home is a short visual novel styled game that is a college student on the phone with their mother as she travels home through a storm. Again, can’t remember details but the protagonist is depressed.

Then there are games like Superliminal, Asemblance, The Spectrum Retreat, etc, which are more about madness and being trapped in a dreamscape/your own mind. But if you’re going to include games about madness and insanity, then most of them are going to be horror where people suffering from mental illnesses are the monsters. And that’s totally the wrong path to go down with this event. (Like, nobody should be doing a game like Outlast, for example)

Another suggestion/request: Maybe as a bonus, we could play a game that would help with mental health? Like a relaxing, chill out game. Like Flower or the Aery games.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrFudge said:

I’m interested in this, but have a quick query as to your leniency. 

The game that instantly sprang to mind for me was Seasons After Fall. The story revolves around issues such as a lack of trust, self-doubt and fear, and loneliness. It doesn’t explicitly tackle any certain mental illness, but the issues recounted above are all closely tied to mental health. 

Similarly, the way in which the story works to build up the character in need; sympathising, reassuring, and believing in her, strongly reflects the positive support and uplifting that can be used to help combat mental illnesses. 

If this helps sway the decision, it’s also a very soothing game that I imagine could be of great comfort for those in need. 

So I'm just wondering if you think it’d be acceptable? Anybody here who has played it is welcome to chime in too. 

If it has to do with dealing with stress in general and people coping with it, it probably counts. When you explain after you finish though (part 2), you need to explain how the characters struggle with life and how they cope with it. In other words, as long as part 2 is easily explained and relates to the topic, it counts. Make more sense?

2 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

I'm in my 30s as well, have suffered myself daily from panic disorder(medicated thankfully). The pandemic realllly did no favors. 

You're not alone my friend

I'll join, not sure what game yet

The game is very interesting. It's not exactly about the bread, but the environment around it. There's a really fascinating YT video on it that explains how depression plays a huge part of the game, but I won't say any more in case you are interested in playing the game. It definitely fits... more subtle, but it fits.

EDIT: I'll add more suggestions later, but it's getting late. Thank you all for the suggestions. To answer @Neocarleen, for Songbird Symphony, I'm not quite sure. :P A lot of the games on the list were recommended to me. I'll remove it for now though since I don't know a thing about it. Haha.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

EDIT: I'll add more suggestions later, but it's getting late. Thank you all for the suggestions. To answer @Neocarleen, for Songbird Symphony, I'm not quite sure. :P A lot of the games on the list were recommended to me. I'll remove it for now though since I don't know a thing about it. Haha.

It is a cute little game, and if it’s on sale I would recommend picking it up. It’s just not a fit for this theme.  The rest all look fine though ?

• Like 1