Trophies for Mental Health (Event)

Ok, so my second and final game in this event I will be playing. Today I completed "The Town Of Light" and boy was this game very grim, probably the darkest game I have ever played.

So first of all a quick unspoiler thoughts. Unlike Suicide of Rachel Foster the game didn't have head bobbing and I was able to cope with this one way better motion sickness wise.Unfortunately though the game suffers from a few issues, same as Gone Home, opening and closing doors does not push you, so if you're too close to a door and it opens outwards it won't move.
Resulting in half the time wondering where to go next but actually you were in the right place, just that you were too close to the door to open it.
The game also has really long loading times, takes an entire minute to select a different chapter and not having a map that you carry around with you. I got lost, a lot.

At one point I had to make my way back to the reception from in the middle of the forest and could not figure out the way, and at other times due to small hit boxes, I kept missing vital clues on how to progress.
You play as a woman who goes around an asylum picking up clues and having flashbacks to what happened in her past.
So the game itself, well spoilers ahead

This game was really quite graphic and indepth and I felt handled quite a lot of stuff well. Quite possibly the most disturbing ending sequence I ever have seen. I had to google up a few terms mid way to keep up with things.
Now I feel the game handled everything very well, except possibly towards the end. In a weird twist, you're experiencing the past but you also have various moods which are triggered by multiple choice answers with yourself/own conscience?
I was not actually sure which version of events were true. That was quite confusing, as were your 4 metres, it has one person on the left and multiple people on the right and either arrow or an arrow crossed out. Never quite figured out what the differences were.
Anyway I kinda like in a game like this multipath routes were unnecessary and it really made stuff a bit confusing.
But yeah one minute I am deep in the story but then I get lost or can't figure out what to do. There is a hint system and at one point it said "Look for clues nearby"
In the end I had to google and actually "nearby" actually meant walk outside of the asylum and go to a place next door that you had never ever been too before up till this point wtf.
Really brought me out the experience when suddenly I am stuck for 30 mins trying to figure out what is next, or I miss a door because I could open it but sadly passed it earlier, or that I need to stood at exact angle to look at an object to trigger a scene (Even sometimes consulting youtube I got stuck)

So erm, yeah there are lots of branches but ultimately it's just one ending, and you die, and wow, it's really dark.
I honestly wouldn't anyone play this game if they are feeling depressed. Probably the best and on point game regarding this event though, I don't think a game tackling Mental Health could be stronger than this one

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 3

Hey Beyond, quick question on the bonus badge.

I am switching my first game to Persona 5 royal which is like a 120 hour plat...however i was hoping to do rocket birds PS3 next weekend with my brother.

Since my first game is so long can i finish badge 2 first or will that not count?

12 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Hey Beyond, quick question on the bonus badge.

I am switching my first game to Persona 5 royal which is like a 120 hour plat...however i was hoping to do rocket birds PS3 next weekend with my brother.

Since my first game is so long can i finish badge 2 first or will that not count?

The idea is to finish badge 1 before badge 2 or to do them simultaneously (within a day of each other or something like that and post about it at the same time) so that people will focus on earning their first badge, and we don't have a scenario where someone gets the second badge, but never actually does the first because in that case, you never actually played a game with mental health aspects involved which is the point of the event.

I could change the rule a bit to make it so either order is fine, and you'll just receive NO BADGES if you never finish your first game.

Would participants like this setup more than the current one? (Asking anyone who signed up) it honestly doesn't matter to me. I just don't want people to lose focus on what the event is about.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

The idea is to finish badge 1 before badge 2 or to do them simultaneously (within a day of each other or something like that and post about it at the same time) so that people will focus on earning their first badge, and we don't have a scenario where someone gets the second badge, but never actually does the first because in that case, you never actually played a game with mental health aspects involved which is the point of the event.

I could change the rule a bit to make it so either order is fine, and you'll just receive NO BADGES if you never finish your first game.

Would participants like this setup more than the current one? (Asking anyone who signed up) it honestly doesn't matter to me. I just don't want people to lose focus on what the event is about.

I think that is fair that you cant recieve the bonus badge if you didnt complete the first badge.

It is a bonus badge so you should have to earn the first badge as well.

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 1

I would like to sign up for this, please.

Atm, I’m not sure yet which game I will finish on time. I have several in my backlog and if need be I could just use one of those. But ideally I’d like to get around to Prince of Persia - The Two Thrones.

That prince develops a whole second (vengeful) personality to cope with what happened to & around him. 

• Like 1

On 2021-05-03 at 9:53 AM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

This makes sense. No first badge complete no bonus.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, gruffiiti said:

This makes sense. No first badge complete no bonus.

This is what we'll do then. I'm all for being flexible in an event like this. Badges can be in any order, but no bonus badge if you never finish the first one. @Dr_Mayus.

Also, you can still sign up whenever through the month. Just post before you finish your games, preferably.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

This is what we'll do then. I'm all for being flexible in an event like this. Badges can be in any order, but no bonus badge if you never finish the first one. @Dr_Mayus.

Also, you can still sign up whenever through the month. Just post before you finish your games, preferably.

Alright it worked.

I enlisted the Phantom Thieves to break in and change Beyond's heart. He was then forced to alter the rules ?

I mean it wasn't there toughest case but still a job well done.

• Like 4

planning on joining in soon, but I really appreciate the inclusion of J.J. Macfield in the suggested games. It's a really good game and a crushing story that deserves more eyes on it ❤️

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Alright it worked.

I enlisted the Phantom Thieves to break in and change Beyond's heart. He was then forced to alter the rules ?

I mean it wasn't there toughest case but still a job well done.

Now, we just wait for the situation where someone signs up after they already completed their games.... ehhh, this one I probably won't be as forgiving. That second part of the first badge would have to be inspiring and really pull on the heartstrings. ?

• Like 1

Do I really need to write about my game for you guys to donate? 

Really don't know where to start (Machines are crazy, but Androids aren't better..).

I finished the main story in Nier Automata, and I'm still working on the sidequests, but it looks like with every sidequest there's a "new" crazy in that world... I can see tons of mental issues here, but probably only 2 and a half resolved in a positive way... 

I also didn't watched the endings outside of the main 5 ones,  and my conscience isn't allowing me to use the trophy shop (I thought about it a bit, since I don't have a ton of free time nowadays,  but it was leaving a bad taste on my mouth,  so, I decided to grind it.. will do 100% quests too..).

Well, I may see some other positive in the future (I hope..), otherwise, I will revisit the current 2 and a half ideas when I finish, but it will likely involve me writing spoilers for Path C/D along 2 side quests.. 

Anyway,  really liking the game!

Edited by Han_the_Dragon
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

Do I really need to write about my game for you guys to donate? 

It could literally be 2 sentences. It's just to acknowledge that you actually thought about the topic. For instance, you could literally talk about one side quest and what mental issues you saw. Bam. Done.

I actually gave a bare-minimum example of Nier Automata earlier in the thread if you want to take a look. Literally took me 5 minutes to write.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

It could literally be 2 sentences. It's just to acknowledge that you actually thought about the topic. For instance, you could literally talk about one side quest and what mental issues you saw. Bam. Done.

I actually gave a bare-minimum example of Nier Automata earlier in the thread if you want to take a look. Literally took me 5 minutes to write.

Ok, I wasn't reading everything,  so I will look at it when I have time.

And, on Nier Automata case is not that I "can't write" about it, it's more like we can write a full thesis about mental issues if we think about it... most of the story and sidequests are full of things to make us question a lot of things that usually we don't take a second glance as long as it doesn't affect us..

But if it's just 2 sentences,  I will not need to think about the whole game for sure!

2 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

Ok, I wasn't reading everything,  so I will look at it when I have time.

And, on Nier Automata case is not that I "can't write" about it, it's more like we can write a full thesis about mental issues if we think about it... most of the story and sidequests are full of things to make us question a lot of things that usually we don't take a second glance as long as it doesn't affect us..

But if it's just 2 sentences,  I will not need to think about the whole game for sure!

I'll put the example in the OP, maybe that way it doesn't seem so daunting, haha.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I'll put the example in the OP, maybe that way it doesn't seem so daunting, haha.

Maybe lol

I just saw your example, so, you just want general thoughts,  no need for details. That's good!

When I posted, I was mainly thinking about Lunar Tears, Lost Child and the "major" 2B spoiler from the ending, although I just did the Amnesia and Coupon quests that also left me thinking... all for different reasons. More on something when I finish everything in the game..

Edited by Han_the_Dragon
  • Like 1

I'm busy af right now (college senior with half a brain cell), but I would love to participate by the end of the month hopefully.

I already have the platinum for Hellblade. I also recommend watching the dev documentary video they made, available in-game :D

It's a very good video because they actually consulted and featured people with various forms of psychosis, as well as experts in the field.

Edited by uncharted965
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

Maybe lol

I just saw your example, so, you just want general thoughts,  no need for details. That's good!

When I posted, I was mainly thinking about Lunar Tears, Lost Child and the "major" 2B spoiler from the ending, although the I just did the Amnesia and Coupon quests that also left me thinking... all for different reasons. More on something when I finish everything in the game..

Can't wait to read it. Nier Automata is one of my favorite games from last gen.

I also know there's plenty of people here where English is their second language so I'm not going to require much. They don't want to struggle to write a 500 word essay and I don't want to struggle reading a 500 word essay. Everybody wins.

• Like 2