Trophies for Mental Health (Event)

2nd Persona character profile - Skull

Skull (Ryuji) is a character that was beaten physically, mentally and emotionally until all that was left was for him to act out. He however is a very loyal friend and once people start treating him as a friend he begins to learn how to trust again.

I knew a lot of kids like this both in school as well as through volunteering. I used to volunteer at a youth drop in and just talking and showing an interest in someone's life can make such a difference. I remember one kid (around 12) told me that "this was the only time he felt safe" and what can you say to that.

No one is born "evil" it is brought on through circumstance. We must show compassion and love early otherwise hate will fester and grow.

If anyone is interested you can check out a great place to volunteer here (this is the canadian site). Make a difference in someone's life today :)

https://bigbrothersbigsisters.ca/

• Like 4

@DrBloodmoney Very nice writeup! I'll mark you down when I get a chance!

Concrete Genie will definitely work for Badge 2. It'll make a lot more sense late in the game why it really works so don't fret if you are scratching your head halfway through.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Concrete Genie will definitely work for Badge 2. It'll make a lot more sense late in the game why it really works so don't fret if you are scratching your head halfway through.

Magic mate, cheers - been quite looking forward to that one, and since I came into possession of a second hand VR recently, it seems like kismet!

That'll be my Game 2 then, I shall report back when done! ??

• Like 1

I finished my game! A small trigger warning: death is indeed involved, as this is a horror game. If you aren't comfortable with dark subjects, maybe skip this post, though I won't explain anything in extreme detail.

Spirit Hunter: NG

Kubitarou of Kintoki (Kaneko)

Spirit Hunter: NG is a horror visual novel that involves the main character (and some allies) encountering specific spirits. After learning of their past and unfair deaths, they can figure out what's holding the spirits back and successfully exorcise them. The spirit centered around in chapter 2 of the game is called Kubitarou of Kintoki. (Kintoki being the town it haunts.) 

As the characters eventually learn, the real name of the spirit they're looking for is Kaneko, and is actually the spirit of a young girl. In her lifetime, she suffered from oxyopia and systematic obesity, which led the town to ostracize and shun her as a child. As a result, she did not receive an education, and grew up isolated and alone. Due to her isolation, she attaches herself to a stuffed bear and calls it her little brother, and fully believes that this is the case. When this bear is eventually destroyed, she understands it as death, and grieves for it. 

In the town of Kintoki at the time she was alive, there were two trees, worshipped as holy and sacred figures for the town. There was an old children's rhyme at the time that stated you could make a wish to one of these trees if you "Head to the Great Tarou of Kintoki on the 15th night". Kaneko, suffering from what I personally believe to be a form of psychosis, jumbles the meaning of these words and believes that she has to offer heads to the tree to get her wish. She decapitates the heads of farm animals and offers them to the tree, but grows frustrated and angry when her bear is not fixed, and ends up chopping the tree down. This is an extreme taboo for the town, and she ends up being killed for it.

I believe she was suffering from a form of psychosis, because she displays very extreme behaviors exhibiting hyper fixation and delusions involving her stuffed bear, along with disorganized thinking and speaking (her confusing the meaning of "head" in the children's song). I feel like the tragic outcome of her death could've easily been avoided, had anyone looked out for her or sympathized with her. For Kaneko, reality was very very different from what everyone else perceived it to be, and I feel like mental illnesses in general do that to many people. Anxiety and depression can cause people to view their surroundings as hopeless or terrifying, when no one else around them sees it the same way. I know its over said, but getting help from others is vital if you feel this way. If Kaneko had someone looking out for her, and understood her view of reality, they could've helped her in a way that was meaningful to her. 

As it turns out, in the story, helping Kaneko pass on peacefully was as simple as sewing her stuffed bear back together and returning it to her. That would've been all it took to prevent her tragedy as well, and it was because the small group of spirit hunters stopped and listened to her story, and imagined things from her perspective, that she was able to be at peace. 

I think we can apply this to real life as well. Listening and trying to understand someone can do a lot of good. 

• Like 4

I've been away from serious gaming for a while. (Work tends to do that to you). But, this event sounds like the perfect way to get back into the swing of things, especially as it's for a good cause! I'll have to take a look at my games and see if I have any that I could finish up for this. If not, I'll find a new one. But, either way, thank you for thinking of this event. My family has a history of mental health struggles. So, any events that are geared towards increasing public awareness about the impacts of mental health conditions on individuals and families is always appreciated!

• Like 2

Well, since I don't need to write a lot, I will do some generalization...

I think that trying to group stuff, I would say that I learned about extreme desperation with different causes, but that ultimately would lead to the annihilation of the character in some way (suicide, suicidal actions, or "voluntary memory loss").

Several spoilers from quests/story (but I will still keep it vague)

Spoiler

For example a character was trying to get stronger and stronger so that he could defeat his "enemy", but since even by getting stronger he was still losing, he ultimately challenge the enemy to a fight to the death (I think that I can see some OCD traits in this too).

Other case is someone that learned that his friend was killed and wants to avenge him, but in the process learns that it was he who did it, and then remembered that he had done it multiple times, going crazy in the process (total psychopath...).

Two people were also were injured and running away, and in the process they decide that's better to "lose their memories" to give up running, but when 1 loses their memory the other says that's OK, because he wanted to "improve physically" the other so that they could continue running (psychopath / conditioned sociopath relation, I think).

Someone was also doing EVERYTHING they could to improve and keep safe their community, but when everything fails they decide to give up living (memory erase or death).

Really liked the game, but made a mistake of getting 2B upskirt trophy to soon when working on the bad endings.. that was the one to be my platinum screenshot.. failing that, tried to get the X ending name (time to relaX) on the platinum, but end up with a black screen.. Quite nice game, and if someone plays the game doing sidequests along the way, the endgame grind is minimum, I think that I didn't even had to grind for 2 hours, all the extra time after getting the first 5 endings was to clean up ssidequests, not to grind. took me almost 59 hours to plat, and was quite a nice experience!

Ghost of Tsushima would work for the bonus? (He's technically accompanied by his horse the whole game...).. I'm now evaluating what will be my next clean up game..

Edited by Han_the_Dragon
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

Well, since I don't need to write a lot, I will do some generalization...

I think that trying to group stuff, I would say that I learned about extreme desperation with different causes, but that ultimately would lead to the annihilation of the character in some way (suicide, suicidal actions, or "voluntary memory loss").

Several spoilers from quests/story (but I will still keep it vague)

Hide contents

For example a character was trying to get stronger and stronger so that he could defeat his "enemy", but since even by getting stronger he was still losing, he ultimately challenge the enemy to a fight to the death (I think that I can see some OCD traits in this too).

Other case is someone that learned that his friend was killed and wants to avenge him, but in the process learns that it was he who did it, and then remembered that he had done it multiple times, going crazy in the process (total psychopath...).

Two people were also were injured and running away, and in the process they decide that's better to "lose their memories" to give up running, but when 1 loses their memory the other says that's OK, because he wanted to "improve physically" the other so that they could continue running (psychopath / conditioned sociopath relation, I think).

Someone was also doing EVERYTHING they could to improve and keep safe their community, but when everything fails they decide to give up living (memory erase or death).

Really liked the game, but made a mistake of getting 2B upskirt trophy to soon when working on the bad endings.. that was the one to be my platinum screenshot.. failing that, tried to get the X ending name (time to relaX) on the platinum, but end up with a black screen.. Quite nice game, and if someone plays the game doing sidequests along the way, the endgame grind is minimum, I think that I didn't even had to grind for 2 hours, all the extra time after getting the first 5 endings was to clean up ssidequests, not to grind. took me almost 59 hours to plat, and was quite a nice experience!

Ghost of Tsushima would work for the bonus? (He's technically accompanied by his horse the whole game...).. I'm now evaluating what will be my next clean up game..

Yeah, Tsushima will work. You do a lot of missions with Yuna and others so it counts. The ghost is most definitely not alone!

@Dr_Mayus, I'll mark this down after you do game 1.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07

6 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Yeah, Tsushima will work. You do a lot of missions with Yuna and others so it counts. The ghost is most definitely not alone!

Nice! (Nier Automata and Ghost of Tsushima were the last 2 games that I had started and were really bothering me, because I had games this good left halfway! So, this is next!)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, oxford_wolf007 said:

@DrBloodmoney Glad to hear it!! The only reason I heard about it at all was this website. I was lurking, and someone had posted it as an "If you like [this game] (I don't remember what it was at the time), you should try Ikenfell." And boy, am I glad I did!!

Best (and worst) part of PSNP Forums - the ever expanding nature of (and tyrannical enormity of) my wishlist ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

I just finished Steins;Gate 0 and it definitely has some dealings with mental health. The game is a sequel to steins;gate that branches from the ending where The main character fails to save someone he loves and ends up unintentionally killing her. Instead of trying again he just gives up and this game explores that word after the fact. Okabe Struggles with severe depression, anxiety, and PTSD throughout the game, so much that he has to take medication for it and it really is just sad to see. Mainly because in the first game Okabe is a very eccentric self ascribed "mad scientist" and to some extent it is kind of endearing. But here that is all stripped away and you can really tell that past events have taken a toll. 

Also for the bonus I finished The Walking Dead. Lee and Clementine are companions throughout the game so it should count I hope. 

• Like 2

1La98461.png

Just finished Concrete Genie for game #1. This deals with the main character being bullied by other kids. The way he escaped his loneliness/being bullied is through his artwork and his drawings, which comes to life at the beginning of the game. One of the things I found interesting is the setting of the story. Your entire environment at the beginning of the story is empty town/island which I saw as a representation of the main character while being bullied and when his artbook gets taken.

I won't go much into the 2nd part of the game, but I also saw how you can't just look from your own perspective when it comes to your life. For an example in the game you realize as the story goes on that even the bullies had their own mental health issues they were trying to deal with (admittingly in the incorrect way with wrecking havoc and bullying others). This ranged from anxiety, separation, and grief, but by the end of the story you see how they even grow as characters and reflect on their actions throughout the game.

I'll be working on my 2nd game (Moss) and hopefully finish it up in a week, just depends on how I feel.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Starrk_01 said:

1La98461.png

Just finished Concrete Genie for game #1. This deals with the main character being bullied by other kids. The way he escaped his loneliness/being bullied is through his artwork and his drawings, which comes to life at the beginning of the game. One of the things I found interesting is the setting of the story. Your entire environment at the beginning of the story is empty town/island which I saw as a representation of the main character while being bullied and when his artbook gets taken.

I won't go much into the 2nd part of the game, but I also saw how you can't just look from your own perspective when it comes to your life. For an example in the game you realize as the story goes on that even the bullies had their own mental health issues they were trying to deal with (admittingly in the incorrect way with wrecking havoc and bullying others). This ranged from anxiety, separation, and grief, but by the end of the story you see how they even grow as characters and reflect on their actions throughout the game.

I'll be working on my 2nd game (Moss) and hopefully finish it up in a week, just depends on how I feel.

Yeah, it's an interesting contrast of how the main character deals with mental stress (through art) and how the bullies deal with it (by picking on others). I think the game does a great job showing sympathy for the bullies and really makes you think about putting yourself in their shoes before judging someone because you never know what someone is going through.

So, for my game, I completed Gris. 

Spoiler

The overarching narrative deals with grief, specifically, as we later learn in the secret ending, the main character is trying to overcome the loss of her mother. 

Throughout the game, you are unable to die, which I interpret as a both positive and negative metaphor. While you are unable to easily escape grief, you are able to withstand as much as you believe you can. 

For much of the game, there's an incredible sense of atmosphere and solitude, until the forest chapter, where a small creature helps you, as in real life, it gets to a point where you can't do it alone.

I also see the birds as a manifestation of the main characters thoughts. The neutral ones are red, and do no harm, simply continue the story. The black are negative, hampering progress, while the gold are positive, lighting the way. 

The heavy ability serves as a manifestation of anger, as well as an ability to withstand anything and keep moving forward.

I feel the gravity chapter revolves around the idea of turning your world upside down for a new look at life.

Through it all, the score is soaring and powerful, conveying all the emotions intended, without a need for dialogue. 

Overall, the game deals with loss, the grief that follows it, and the journey to overcome said grief and rise above it all.

On a more personal note, I was diagnosed with OCD a couple weeks prior, making the concept of mental health ever more present in my life. 

I know this is a more interpretative response, but hopefully it counts, looking forward to completing Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons for the second challenge

Edited by GuitaristZag
Typo and added spoiler
  • Like 2