DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

11 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I enjoyed the write up of Tomb Raider: Legend particularly. That's one I'm really fearful of writing myself actually. My favourite actress plays Lara in those games, so I need to figure out a way for it not to just sound like a Keeley Hawes praise fest for paragraphs and paragraphs. I'm perfectly capable of objectivity, but that one might be tough. (plus that game has the Soul Reaver in it.... So... yeah you know what I'm like when I hear or see that, like a shark that's noticed a little trickle of blood :)

I always struggle to really define that trilogy, or I guess series, because the Lara from those games is the same one from the isometric ones right? Either way, Legend is my favourite, but I think the best Tomb Raider experience comes from Anniversary, but that isn't doing anything particularly new on account of it being a remake/re-imagining. Underworld just sort of ties up a few loose ends and is a little bit too Uncharted-esque for my liking. Legend is an absolute joy to play though - I think its aged remarkably too, I played it again right at the end of 2019, and it didn't feel like a game that was over a decade old, in fact none of that trilogy did, to be fair.

I liked Anniversary to a point certainly - and lord knows, I had sunk hundreds of hours into the original games it was pulling from on PS1 at the time they were released - but I think it suffered a little in my experience because I didn't play it until the PS3 release, and I did so directly after Legend. The difference in controls and pacing etc is pretty stark, and so it always felt a bit lesser by comparison.

9 hours ago, madbuk said:

While there are certainly criticisms of TR Legend that I regularly like to mention (it being the start of the white ledge platforming saga, which isn't remedied until Shadow of the TR over a decade later, and is even copied by many other games afterwards like Uncharted/Horizon, it being too actiony, the puzzles being too simple, etc.), it really is such a high quality package and something the series needed after AoD. A prime example of quality over quantity, and it has my favourite version of Lara by far. I wish the new games were even remotely as engaging as Legend was, storywise. Would love to see a PS4 or PS5 (or both!) stack someday for the LAU trilogy. Legend also has my favourite OST of the series, so many good tracks.

Must admit, as much as I liked the boobs-and-badass Lara, I do prefer the tone of the new trilogy over the old ones - it's really a case of personality - there was never much character to the old Lara, she was more of a cypher - ultra-capable, never faltering, never out of her element -  with the stories more dependent on the antagonists to drive them forward. The new ones are less bad-guy dependent for the driving force of the narratives, and more of a journey for Lara herself.

It does help that those games are more in my current wheelhouse though - 3D platforming was never a huge genre for me (In the PS1 / PS2 era, I was the guy yelling at clouds about how all my favourite games were going 3D and getting 'ruined'?), and while Tomb Raider was certainly a good game within that genre, the more survival, action shooter / Uncharted-inspired style of the new trilogy is just more my specific flavour.

In terms of the actual games though, the high watermark across all of Tomb Raider, for me, is definitely the two 'Lara Croft' games - they are really their own thing, and not directly comparable, but I loved the hell out of both Guardian of Light, and Temple of Osiris  - and I'm really disappointed there hasn't been any word of another entry in that strain of the series!

Btw, it's a big anniversary for Tomb Raider this year, just thought I'd mention that since Square Enix don't seem to give a fuck themselves </3

Huh - yeah, certainly haven't heard of any kind of celebratory stuff going on - seems a bit weird for such an iconic franchise with so many good entries. I mean, Christ, Sonic is getting a lot of fanfare for it's anniversary, and it has never been good, so... ?

9 hours ago, JoesusHCrust said:

Fanks for sciencing my suggestion Doc. A great write-up. Comparing to other 'detective' games, ROTOD is so much better than any of it's competitors. I too was thinking of L.A. Noire when I was playing Return.... but the latter is so much better than the former - amazing given the simplicity of the game. How good were the graphics too? How can such basic graphics look so amazing and be so evocative? The game needs a very high level of detail to work and to achieve that in '1-bit' is quite incredible. 

Absolutely - Its amazing to think that Lucas Pope was able to envision that aesthetic, but still be confident enough that it would be able to feature the kind of detail and subtlety that a game of that genre would require in it!

Did you manage to complete the whole game without using a guide? If so, you're a puzzle master! The game is hard!

I did... though full disclosure, I did come up with a minor way to sort of cheese it.. a little bit.

What I started doing was writing down some of the ones I was certain about, on a notepad, but not inputting them to the game. That way, if I came to any that I was truly stuck, or really couldn't confirm if it was one of two people

Spoiler

The women who escaped together, for example - I could figure who they were, but not which was which

I had some 'known' ones I could input first, so I knew I had 2 correct in there, which meant I could check ones I wasn't too sure about, and the right one would fill in the book.

A little bit of a cheese I suppose - but I don't feel like it lessened my enjoyment of the game - and I was scared to actually look anything up in a guide, as even accidentally seeing an image could potentially unravel the whole game!

Edited by DrBloodmoney

newtestsubjects.jpg

⚛️!!SCIENCE UPDATE!!⚛️

The next 5 (somewhat) randomly selected games to be submitted for scientific analysis shall be:

Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden
Fallout 4
Invisible Inc
Space Overlords
What Remains of Edith Finch 

Subjects in RED marked for ❎PRIORITY ASSIGNEMENT

[Care of @YaManSmevz & @GraniteSnake  ]

Can 'Current Most Awesome' game, Prey, cling to its title once again?

Is last-in-show Kick-Ass: The Game going to have any competition for 'Least Awesome Game' ?

Let's find out!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I must say - the time has probably passed for me on trying any of the new WWE games now - finding time to fit in a game I'm not so sure about in the sea of games I have now is probably not gonna happen realistically - though the one game that I still hear consistent positive stuff about is the FirePro Wrestling games - don't know what you guys think of those? One of my more Wrestling-fan buddies seems to have spent hundreds of hours on the new one, and is very positive on it!

I think that's probably the best approach, time is so precious, so you might as well spend it doing something you are probably guaranteed  to have a worthwhile experience with. I've gotten to the point with wrestling games when I only buy them when they are heavily discounted, that way it's tough to really feel that ripped off. At least that's how I justify it anyway.

I'd also love to know what the PS4 version of Fire Pro Wrestling is like, I've not played that yet either. I've played Fire Pro Returns for the PS2, which was brilliant, so if it's anything like that I can see why your friend has sunk so much time into it. They are one of those strange mixes of fairly simplistic gameplay, but also having quite a bit of hidden depth to them, add to that incredibly accessible customisation options which basically allow you to easily make your own roster of wrestlers that YOU want, adds so much replay value to it. I'm hoping the PS4 version is still keeping that sort of thing alive.

14 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I liked Anniversary to a point certainly - and lord knows, I had sunk hundreds of hours into the original games it was pulling from on PS1 at the time they were released - but I think it suffered a little in my experience because I didn't play it until the PS3 release, and I did so directly after Legend. The difference in controls and pacing etc is pretty stark, and so it always felt a bit lesser by comparison.

Must admit, as much as I liked the boobs-and-badass Lara, I do prefer the tone of the new trilogy over the old ones - it's really a case of personality - there was never much character to the old Lara, she was more of a cypher - ultra-capable, never faltering, never out of her element -  with the stories more dependent on the antagonists to drive them forward. The new ones are less bad-guy dependent for the driving force of the narratives, and more of a journey for Lara herself.

It does help that those games are more in my current wheelhouse though - 3D platforming was never a huge genre for me (In the PS1 / PS2 era, I was the guy yelling at clouds about how all my favourite games were going 3D and getting 'ruined'?), and while Tomb Raider was certainly a good game within that genre, the more survival, action shooter / Uncharted-inspired style of the new trilogy is just more my specific flavour.

In terms of the actual games though, the high watermark across all of Tomb Raider, for me, is definitely the two 'Lara Croft' games - they are really their own thing, and not directly comparable, but I loved the hell out of both Guardian of Light, and Temple of Osiris  - and I'm really disappointed there hasn't been any word of another entry in that strain of the series!

I do know what you mean about Anniversary, I said I thought it was the most authentic Tomb Raider experience in that trilogy, which I stick by, but it isn't the most fun to play. In fact. I almost think it sort of hamstrings that trilogy, they had to really contrive a few plot elements to really connect everything together. There is such a HUGE disconnect, between the balance of puzzles combat and exploration that Legend has, to the more grounded roots of Anniversary. I like it for what it is, but it almost feels like it's own separate thing. Perhaps it should have been. 

I prefer Lara from the new trilogy too, which seems to be a fairly unpopular opinion, but I'm full of those so I won't lose any sleep over it, ( I barely sleep anyway :D ) she feels like an actual human. I do think it's a crying shame we never got a motion capture performance from Keeley Hawes, as she can convey an incredible amount of emotion, with just facial expressions, so I'd hope that would translate well to cutscenes.

However, I think Camilla Luddington does an incredible job as Lara, I think she really excels at all the story beats they throw at that version of Lara. She isn't perfect, she knows it - and more importantly, we know it. I think the overarching plot of the recent trilogy is a little messy, but how they developed that version of Lara over the three titles was so well achieved I thought. Some of those scenes in the oil fields in Shadow of the Tomb Raider are fantastic, the way she just let's out so much pent up primal rage, aggression and sadness all at once were incredibly powerful I thought. I can't say I'm the biggest fan of the actual tomb raiding essentially becoming optional in the more recent titles, but it's a fairly small gripe, it's not going to stop me doing them, although I can only really level that criticism at the first title in the reboot trilogy.

I've yelled at plenty of gaming shaped clouds in my time... Haven't we all? Usually about tonal shifts or gameplay tweaks that fundamentally change a series.  I was one of those people avoiding Resident Evil 7 because it was first person... I think I remember bitching about Thief: Deadly Shadows being third person back in the mid 2000's. Without realising you could switch between third and first person. To quote Moss from I.T Crowd... " Egg and my face, were in alignment"

You know, I really need to play those Lara Croft titles... I've not played them outside of Lara Croft GO, but that's its own thing entirely. I own them too I think. I've just never really gotten around to playing through them. I guess I'll add those to the list too.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 1

Oh, how I have waited for this day!

The funny thing for me with Fallout 4 is that while I was constantly finding things to gripe about, after a while it became evident that I just couldn't put the damn thing down. It reminds me of that old joke about the food at a restaurant not only being bad, but in such small portions.

"Fallout 4 is an awful game."

"I know! And there's not nearly enough time for all the cool stuff you can do!"

As a Fallout virgin, I was not privy to how lucky I was to start off in this franchise with relatively few bugs, and the few I encountered were a minor nuisance at worst. Also that big, beautiful, endlessly explorable world (plus DLC!) more than made up for the flimsy main story, and while I felt the game took an odd joy in toying with completionists (100,000 tickets?? It really has to be that many??), I am proud to have completed it and not only had a lot of fun, but plan to revisit to get in some more crafting, try different builds, play as a female protagonist, and see all the extra stuff I missed!

Later, though. MUCH later. It was definitely a lot!

I perked up a bit when I saw you were tackling Ms. Finch! That was my first walking sim, and even though I had no experience in the genre (save maybe Mist or something from when I was a kid) I could tell from the jump that this was one of the good ones. You hit the nail on the head, the mood never dips even in spite of the heavy subject matter, and the variety of the art styles was neck and neck with the quality of the styles themselves. I absolutely adored that game, and it will be a confusing moment should I ever encounter somebody who didn't at least kinda like it.

As for Invisible Inc, well the joke's on you - I bought that months ago and have ALREADY been bullying myself to bump it up the backlog and get playin!

As usual, thanks for all the science words?

Edited by YaManSmevz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, YaManSmevz said:

Oh, how I have waited for this day!

The funny thing for me with Fallout 4 is that while I was constantly finding things to gripe about, after a while it became evident that I just couldn't put the damn thing down. It reminds me of that old joke about the food at a restaurant not only being bad, but in such small portions.

"Fallout 4 is an awful game."

"I know! And there's not nearly enough time for all the cool stuff you can do!"

As a Fallout virgin, I was not privy to how lucky I was to start off in this franchise with relatively few bugs, and the few I encountered were a minor nuisance at worst. Also that big, beautiful, endlessly explorable world (plus DLC!) more than made up for the flimsy main story, and while I felt the game took an odd joy in toying with completionists (100,000 tickets?? It really has to be that many??), I am proud to have completed it and not only had a lot of fun, but plan to revisit to get in some more crafting, try different builds, play as a female protagonist, and see all the extra stuff I missed!

Later, though. MUCH later. It was definitely a lot!

Haha, I know - I think this requested review has been the longest in the making, just because it would have felt so out of context without the previous games already reviewed!

I know what you mean about the experience - there's definitely some games (usually open world ones) where you can sped ages picking apart what is annoying about it, or not up to scratch in some areas, yet there is some intangible X-factor that just keep the game enjoyable anyways, and keeps drawing you back. TBH - Mass Effect Andromeda is kind of like that for me right now - full of stuff to make fun of or complain about, yet still keeping it's hooks in me!

Oh, God, that 100,000 tickets trophy was an absolute clown shoe!

I ended up doing that one by constructing rows of the basketball machines, with heath-Robinson contraptions around them to constantly keep a series of basketballs on a loop, dropping through the hoop, then rolling around tracks, up elevators and back in again. Ended up with me just walking back and forth, collecting the tickets as they each reached the capped amount per machine!

At first, that seemed like a cheese or an exploit, but actually, given that 100,000 is such an absurd number playing regularly, I actually suspect the dev was trying to force people to experiment with that kind of thing, as a way to show off what you could do with the crafting!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Haha, I know - I think this requested review has been the longest in the making, just because it would have felt so out of context without the previous games already reviewed!

I know what you mean about the experience - there's definitely some games (usually open world ones) where you can sped ages picking apart what is annoying about it, or not up to scratch in some areas, yet there is some intangible X-factor that just keep the game enjoyable anyways, and keeps drawing you back. TBH - Mass Effect Andromeda is kind of like that for me right now - full of stuff to make fun of or complain about, yet still keeping it's hooks in me!

Oh, God, that 100,000 tickets trophy was an absolute clown shoe!

I ended up doing that one by constructing rows of the basketball machines, with heath-Robinson contraptions around them to constantly keep a series of basketballs on a loop, dropping through the hoop, then rolling around tracks, up elevators and back in again. Ended up with me just walking back and forth, collecting the tickets as they each reached the capped amount per machine!

At first, that seemed like a cheese or an exploit, but actually, given that 100,000 is such an absurd number playing regularly, I actually suspect the dev was trying to force people to experiment with that kind of thing, as a way to show off what you could do with the crafting!

I totally understand! Fallout is a lengthy franchise to review to say the least, and the groundwork was definitely necessary. You've educated me on the lead up to FO4 which certainly helped my perspective.

I did the basketball glitch with the overlapping machines after I realized what a sorry pittance you got from all the other games (and how many rockets I'd need to take the route with that bandit game). Personally, I didn't feel any cheaper doing that than when I built hundreds of weight benches for the Benevolent Leader trophy or scum saved with five cages to get tame animals or trying to get an active audience for an impromptu battle between two settlers (hell, insert inane trophy here). It's difficult to put into words, but I feel with several of these trophies it's kind of understood that you're going to cheese some of them, lest you risk losing interest entirely! While again, I'm happy to have gotten that coveted S rank, I suspect this is one of those games I would've enjoyed a great deal more if I didn't care about trophies!

• Like 1

I dunno mate. Invisible inc. is hard as fuck and I'm not a skilled gamer! You're selling it and it does sound great but I don't want another unfinished game on my profile!

You wrote something that got me thinking. You said that you place a premium on gameplay, and it made me realise that I don't think I do. All of the games that I've really enjoyed playing have been games with a huge amount of exploration, but rather low difficulty and limited gameplay depth. Games like the Bethesda RPGs allow you to lose yourself in an alternative world without the stress of actually having to put any effort into the game! This for me is a major draw, and something largely lacking in PS4 generation games where large and easy RPGs have been pretty rare. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JoesusHCrust said:

I dunno mate. Invisible inc. is hard as fuck and I'm not a skilled gamer! You're selling it and it does sound great but I don't want another unfinished game on my profile!

You wrote something that got me thinking. You said that you place a premium on gameplay, and it made me realise that I don't think I do. All of the games that I've really enjoyed playing have been games with a huge amount of exploration, but rather low difficulty and limited gameplay depth. Games like the Bethesda RPGs allow you to lose yourself in an alternative world without the stress of actually having to put any effort into the game! This for me is a major draw, and something largely lacking in PS4 generation games where large and easy RPGs have been pretty rare. 

Sure, I can dig that - I mean, I wouldn’t say I put a premium on the difficulty of a game - I’m certainly not a big advocate for the masochistic type genres - the Devil May Crys and the Ninja Gaidens and the really brutal stuff that sells itself primarily on its difficulty (the Super Meat Boy and Crypt of the Necrodancer fare).

I can respect those games, certainly, but there is a reason they aren’t on my profile - it’s because, as much as I hear people talk about them often, I never hear anyone say anything about them besides how brutal they are.
I must have read a thousand posts about Super Meat Boy, on this site alone, but every one is about how hard it is. Not once have I ever read anyone say it’s actually fun to play!

Certainly Souls games and some roguelike games fall somewhere on that spectrum, but the challenge is not the thing that draws me to those games - it’s gameplay and variation of approach that does it for me, for sure, and the ability to be lost in a well realised world and obtuse and fascinating lore.

On Invisible Inc, I will say - in terms of difficulty, I think it is totally overblown in how it is viewed.

People like to use the platinum rarity as a yardstick for difficulty. I know that can be somewhat accurate - sometimes - but it is a bit of a bug-bear of mine, as most of the time, it is just not reflective of reality.

In this case rarity of the platinum is completely out of whack with the difficulty- probably due to a combination of it being a PS+ game, and quite a specific style of game, that does take some practice.

I think if it didn’t have the ‘rewind’ roll-back mechanic, it would legitimately be an 8/10 or even a 9/10 in difficulty. But it does have it - and that allows anyone who is willing to play around with it and take the time to experiment to get that platinum.

Personally, I don’t really like to ‘judge’ difficulty in terms of a numerical scale, but, with the roll-back, I’d say Invisible Inc is no more than a 5/10 really. It’s one of the best examples of how rarity cannot be used as a defacto difficulty gauge.

Sekiro - a game that is somewhere in the 27% area in rarity, I think is massively more difficult - it doesn’t allow for variation of build or speccing different ways, and requires the player to either master a very specific single way of playing, or go home.

Invisible Inc, on the other hand, in the 0.5% range, but given that it allows for a near infinite level of customisation, speccing and multiple methods of play, and infinite variations, combined with the ability to literally re-roll every turn, constantly and without punishment, means that while it can take a bit of time to really understand the basics of all the mechanics, the actual path to platinum is far easier - it gives you all the tools you need, not only to practice infinitely without punishment, but also to retry as often as you need.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Can newly crowned 'Current Most Awesome' game, Invisible Inc, maintain the title?

Is new last-in-show Space Overlords going to have any competition for 'Least Awesome Game' ?

Let's find out!

Damn, I missed the last episode when these games were promoted!

Need to catch the re-run xD 

• Like 3

Just now, Copanele said:

Damn, I missed the last episode when these games were promoted!

Need to catch the re-run xD 

Haha, man - the most exciting episode - a new champion, and a new chumpion in the space of two reviews :jaymon:

I almost got the Bends from the rapid change in pressure ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

@Slava (who confused the hell out of my spreadsheet by changing his name recently! 1f602.png)

Haha, sorry ?. 

I also missed the new champion and the new biggest stinker. I usually don't bother reading about games I've never heard of, so I skipped both Invisible Inc and Space Overlords. I'll fix my mistake ASAP:popcorn:.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Slava said:

I also missed the new champion and the new biggest stinker. I usually don't bother reading about games I've never heard of, so I skipped both Invisible Inc and Space Overlords. I'll fix my mistake ASAP:popcorn:.

My friend, if you do nothing else, don't dismiss Invisible Inc!

It's an astonishing game - absolutely tip-top!

• Like 1

I reckon we're going to have a scientific disagreement over TESV:S! It'll go down in history as one of the great scientific debates (probably). Whilst Skyrim is the weakest of the Bethesda Elder Scrolls games (Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim being the correct order, of course) It's still an amazing game. Definitely top 5, but I predict it coming in closer to 30 in your rank. We'll see though!! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JoesusHCrust said:

I reckon we're going to have a scientific disagreement over TESV:S! It'll go down in history as one of the great scientific debates (probably). Whilst Skyrim is the weakest of the Bethesda Elder Scrolls games (Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim being the correct order, of course) It's still an amazing game. Definitely top 5, but I predict it coming in closer to 30 in your rank. We'll see though!! 

Well, I never played Morrowind - I hopped on TES with Oblivion.

If Oblivion was eligible, I suspect it would beat out Skyrim, but given that it was trophy-free, the only comparison points will be Fallout games really - we'll just have to see how the science works out - but I certainly enjoyed Skyrim enough to platinum (actually, almost platinum - stupid Deadric Artifacts!) twice....

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 11:34 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

I can respect those games, certainly, but there is a reason they aren’t on my profile - it’s because, as much as I hear people talk about them often, I never hear anyone say anything about them besides how brutal they are.
I must have read a thousand posts about Super Meat Boy, on this site alone, but every one is about how hard it is. Not once have I ever read anyone say it’s actually fun to play!

Well let me be the first then to say that Super Meat Boy is really fun to play ?. That methodical attacking of the problem until the problem becomes routine and you can move onto attacking the next problem is a really cathartic and interesting game play loop to me. That being said, I do think it is impossible to talk about this game without referencing the difficulty, because that at its core is what makes it engaging to begin with.  If you strip away the difficulty, it becomes something akin to 36 fragments of midnight, which while I'm sure some people enjoyed, doesn't seem to me to be all that compelling of a game. 

Edited by Together_Comic
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Together_Comic said:

Well let me be the first then to say that Super Meat Boy is really fun to play That methodical attacking of the problem until the problem becomes routine and you can move onto attacking the next problem is a really cathartic and interesting game play loop to me. That being said  I do think it is impossible to talk about this game without referencing the difficulty, because that at its core is what makes it engaging to begin with.  If you strip away the difficulty, it becomes something akin to 36 fragments of midnight, which while I'm sure some people enjoyed, doesn't seem to me to be all that compelling of a game. 

Haha - fair enough - though I can't imagine that is true about 36 Fragments - that game is not a platformer, it's more akin to something like Desert Golfing.

There was a game I remember playing called Save the Ninja Clan, which from what I could tell was essentially aping the Super Meat Boy style, minus the brutal difficulty - and to be honest, I found it okay - never terrible and often fun enough - but its a tough sell for me to imagine playing a game of that style for the hundreds of hours something like SMB seems to ask of players.

Never say never of course, and it's a nice platinum to have for sure - but I have to admit, while I certainly give props to folks who get that platinum, for someone like me who has very little patience for games that I feel are taking liberties with my time, a game would have to really really appeal on a game design and stylistic level to make me willing to engage for that kind of time.

For someone with a more cultivated, less messy profile, getting that plat can be a really nice cherry on top, but with a profile as all-over-the-place as mine, it's a harder proposition to consider spending hundreds of hours going after one game just to prove a point to myself - especially since the rest of my 'not-particularly-challege-orientated' profile would immediately undo said point ?

That said - it is on vita, and I am running out of decent vita games to take on offshore trips, so you never know... could become a long-term 'chip-away at it' kind of game :dunno:

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Haha - fair enough - though I can't imagine that is true about 36 Fragments - that game is not a platformer, it's more akin to something like Desert Golfing.

There was a game I remember playing called Save the Ninja Clan, which from what I could tell was essentially aping the Super Meat Boy style, minus the brutal difficulty - and to be honest, I found it okay - never terrible and often fun enough - but its a tough sell for me to imagine playing a game of that style for the hundreds of hours something like SMB seems to ask of players.

Never say never of course, and it's a nice platinum to have for sure - but I have to admit, while I certainly give props to folks who get that platinum, for someone like me who has very little patience for games that I feel are taking liberties with my time, a game would have to really really appeal on a game design and stylistic level to make me willing to engage for that kind of time.

For someone with a more cultivated, less messy profile, getting that plat can be a really nice cherry on top, but with a profile as all-over-the-place as mine, it's a harder proposition to consider spending hundreds of hours going after one game just to prove a point to myself - especially since the rest of my 'not-particularly-challege-orientated' profile would immediately undo said point 1f602.png

That said - it is on vita, and I am running out of decent vita games to take on offshore trips, so you never know... could become a long-term 'chip-away at it' kind of game :dunno:

I wasn't trying to compare the gameplay of 36 fragments, but more of the overly simplistic style of game that isn't super compelling and that was the first that came to mind, but fair enough. 

I do think that if we ignore the iron man trophies than super meat boy is actually an extremely good game that I would recommend to anyone and is very doable. The 106% is probably at around 40-50 hours and comes with a really fun time.  On this site and for trophy hunters in general though, the plat has become sort of a badge of honor and I'm sure that is what a lot of people think about when they start it up.  Heck,  it factored into my decision to give it a go and I like platformers more than most. So I definitely see where you're coming from otherwise.  

Whether you play it or not, I look forward to what science will show us ?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Together_Comic said:

I wasn't trying to compare the gameplay of 36 fragments, but more of the overly simplistic style of game that isn't super compelling and that was the first that came to mind, but fair enough. 

I do think that if we ignore the iron man trophies than super meat boy is actually an extremely good game that I would recommend to anyone and is very doable. The 106% is probably at around 40-50 hours and comes with a really fun time.  On this site and for trophy hunters in general though, the plat has become sort of a badge of honor and I'm sure that is what a lot of people think about when they start it up.  Heck,  it factored into my decision to give it a go and I like platformers more than most. So I definitely see where you're coming from otherwise.  

Whether you play it or not, I look forward to what science will show us 1f913.png

Absolutely mate - I appreciate all the input - this is a thread for talking about how much we love the games we love - and I want everyone to input with the games they love too - whether that's in the form of recommendations, corrections or just yelling at me that my science is wrong ?

I certainly don't discount the idea of SMB - and I also can fully accept having a game I'm not skilled enough to finish on my list - I've got plenty of those already, so what's one more on the pile??

I'm starting to think Curse of the Dead Gods is the latest one of those actually - a shame, as I'd like to apply the science, and it's a game I'd recommend, but boy-oh-boy, I seem to be just incapable of some of those challenges in it ??

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 6:34 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

I'll agree with @Together_Comic here... SMB is, without a doubt and having played quite a few platformers, one of the most satisfying platformerst to play. The difficulty of that game comes from going for the platinum, the game itself isn't really hard. 

Of course on this very site people only mention how hard it is.. but that's because people here discuss games and trophies interchangeably (which is a big issue in my opinion). The trophies are hard. The game is not. And it is one damn good platformer. 

The best platformer I've played on the PS4, however, is the other masterpiece by Edmund Mc Millen... The End is Nigh. Harder game than SMB, easier platinum.

As for Crypt... Yeah, it's without a doubt one of the best games I've ever played. It's unique, it's addicting, and I could listen to the soundtrack day in, day out ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Haha, now, there's a game I will not play on console - full disclosure, I know it's a good game, I've played some on Mac, and it's fun and has a hell of a soundtrack - but as far as I'm concerned, any game which everyone going for the platinum it seems to pretty much agree that a keyboard plug-in to a console is a requirement, just to make it realistically possible, is simply not a console game - and any argument otherwise will not fly with me. 1f602.png

Oh, I agree. It's a game made for PC. I actually bought a KB-adapter, and especially in double-tempo it feels somewhat "easier" to play with KB. It's just difficult to keep up the pace with one finger only, and when you have characters that die if you miss a beat... 

However, there are at least 4 platinum achievers that played with the controller exclusively. 

And hey, you can use a dance-pad, too! 

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It's actually one that - and I know this might draw ire with this, but what the hell, this is my checklist - I don't really 'respect' people getting the platinum in.

Super Meat Boy, I see as a challenging platinum that people can go for, and get with enough skill and practice, but without necessarily sacrificing playing other stuff.

From what I understand about Crypt, form a platinum point of view, the level of dedication required to get it virtually forces forgoing all other games for literally months, if not years.  

That, to me, is not dedication - it's obsession. It's not being a fan, it's having a fetish.

Totally fine if people want to do it, but not for me, and not something that draws my respect - only my sympathy!

It is an obsession to some degree, as it is to - for example - try to maintain a 100% account, getting plats in games you don't like, etc... But yes, the amount of dedication required to get this game done is only matched by something like 100% in DJ Max Respect (the latter actually takes close to 2000 hours, in contrast to Crypt which "only" takes roughly 1000 hours to finish). Personally, I just cannot prioritize finishing a videogame over anything that goes on in real life. I'd love to finish it some day though, seeing it as the only unifinished game on my profile... well, let's say I might be a bit obsessed as well ?