DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

6 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

It is an obsession to some degree, as it is to - for example - try to maintain a 100% account, getting plats in games you don't like, etc... But yes, the amount of dedication required to get this game done is only matched by something like 100% in DJ Max Respect (the latter actually takes close to 2000 hours, in contrast to Crypt which "only" takes roughly 1000 hours to finish). Personally, I just cannot prioritize finishing a videogame over anything that goes on in real life. I'd love to finish it some day though, seeing it as the only unifinished game on my profile... well, let's say I might be a bit obsessed as well 1f602.png 

haha - oops ? - I guess I should have checked if you actually played the game before making my feelings known! ?:facepalm:

Well, hopefully you understand I respect you, just not the platinum for Crypt ??

Yeah- to me, a game that requires such a massive time investment is only ever going to become a slog at some point - it's what puts me off the idea of MMORPGs as well - I am too interested in playing lots of games, that very few can hold my attention for that length of time.

Probably the closest would be something like Hitman - for sure, across all three Hitman games in the new trilogy, I suspect I am getting close to most time i've spent with a game  - (certainly in the high hundreds of hours) - but that is a lighting strike kind of thing - and has nothing to do with trophies.

I'm playing those over and over because I love them - the trophies were finished far quicker than that

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

My self-imposed rule that all new platinums should be reviewed as part of the current scientific update is taking it's toll this round!

I've had to do two additional reviews for this round already, and am now in a race against myself to get this one up before I finish Ratchet and Clank: A Rift Apart, and have to add that one too ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

My self-imposed rule that all new platinums should be reviewed as part of the current scientific update is taking it's toll this round!

I've had to do two additional reviews for this round already, and am now in a race against myself to get this one up before I finish Ratchet and Clank: A Rift Apart, and have to add that one too 1f602.png

Ratchet and Clank will be easy though right... Because obviously a games worth must be judged by its trophy list. Therefore, "Rift Apart has teh EZiestest trophy list, bad gam, would not recommand"

Oh no, some evil voodoo took over and made me write some drivel that doesn't remotely align with my own opinion and type that, I swear. (I'll change it if you like, I don't want to start a huge flame war with people, I know that's a sensitive subject for some - obviously.. I'm just casually joking around)

Must be this new PC... Better bring my one legged donkey computer with three wheels back. That never made me write silly stuff... Never ever...

Honestly though mate, you could stagger the newer platinum's over the next few batches or so? Might be easier for you. Depends on at how fast a rate you are achieving them, I guess it also depends how long it's actually taking you to write them. I don't know how long the scientific process takes you. Often takes me an hour plus to write anything halfway coherent in a review. Then a bit longer to actually make it flow a little more naturally. That's just me though, I zone out a lot.

This won't be any kind of huge revelation for you as I'm sure you've said this, or something similar, plenty of times, to other people, but don't feel too pressured to get to adding them all at once. I'd wouldn't like for you to start feeling under pressure and working to a really stringent deadline with these kinds of things. I'd worry that it would stop being fun for you. I'm probably overthinking that, I don't live in your head obviously, I just wouldn't want you to get creatively burnt out by having to do too much, is what I basically wanted to say. Well, and tried to, in my own convoluted way :D

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Ratchet and Clank will be easy though right... Because obviously a games worth must be judged by its trophy list. Therefore, "Rift Apart has teh EZiestest trophy list, bad gam, would not recommand"

? obviously!

I know :facepalm: - every review of that game from a trophy hunter so far reads like an Emo Hipster's Amazon review:

"Everything was awesome... 2 stars":emo:

3 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Honestly though mate, you could stagger the newer platinum's over the next few batches or so? Might be easier for you. Depends on at how fast a rate you are achieving them, I guess it also depends how long it's actually taking you to write them. I don't know how long the scientific process takes you. Often takes me an hour plus to write anything halfway coherent in a review. Then a bit longer to actually make it flow a little more naturally. That's just me though, I zone out a lot.

This won't be any kind of huge revelation for you as I'm sure you've said this, or something similar, plenty of times, to other people, but don't feel too pressured to get to adding them all at once. I'd wouldn't like for you to start feeling under pressure and working to a really stringent deadline with these kinds of things. I'd worry that it would stop being fun for you. I'm probably overthinking that, I don't live in your head obviously, I just wouldn't want you to get creatively burnt out by having to do too much, is what I basically wanted to say. Well, and tried to, in my own convoluted way :D

Haha, don't worry - I know my deadlines are only my own - I like to try and get the ones people requested out in a reasonable timeframe, but there is also a slightly selfish reason for wanting to do the new ones at the same time - those are by far the easiest to write, simply because I finish the game and have a lot to say, but they also take the most editing, because I tend to just blurt out a massive scrawl, then have to reign it in a bit ?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Haha, don't worry - I know my deadlines are only my own - I like to try and get the ones people requested out in a reasonable timeframe, but there is also a slightly selfish reason for wanting to do the new ones at the same time - those are by far the easiest to write, simply because I finish the game and have a lot to say, but they also take the most editing, because I tend to just blurt out a massive scrawl, then have to reign it in a bit 

I have that same problem too, I just clearly reign it in less haha  ?...

That's all good then anyway. Like I said I'd hate for it to stop being fun for you.. The passion you clearly have for what you are playing/ have played really comes across very well, so I was just a little concerned that might change, if it starts to become a bit more of a workman-like process.

Thankfully, that doesn't seem to be the case and I was worrying about nothing. :D (That definitely sounds like me, I'm the sort of person that phones after a night out asking if I offended anyone, when I clearly hadn't... Probably mild neurosis or something. :))  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

I have that same problem too, I just clearly reign it in less haha  1f602.png...

That's all good then anyway. Like I said I'd hate for it to stop being fun for you.. The passion you clearly have for what you are playing/ have played really comes across very well, so I was just a little concerned that might change, if it starts to become a bit more of a workman-like process.

Thankfully, that doesn't seem to be the case and I was worrying about nothing. :D (That definitely sounds like me, I'm the sort of person that phones after a night out asking if I offended anyone, when I clearly hadn't... Probably mild neurosis or something. :))  

Haha, nah - any time I start feeling like this is a chore, I plan to just warn folks I'm taking some time away from it - but so far, every time that has threatened to be a problem, a good game has re-awakened my love of doing it!

• Like 1

Just now, Copanele said:

Thanks to this scientific report, The Surge has been installed, to be approached soon :D 

I really want to give it a whirl now.

Glad to hear that mate!

Great game - and given your Souls credentials, certainly one I'll be interested in your opinions on! I have a hunch that - like me - you will really get a kick out of the 'limb targeting and harvesting' mechanic - It's such a cool concept, and really serves as a great way to make even smaller fights feel like meaningful progression ?

• Like 1

I was really looking forward to your Andromeda review scientific evaluation.  I, also being a big fan of the original three, have been constantly putting it off basically on reputation alone and have been trying to decide if I want to tackle it sooner rather than later.  Your review  evaluation seems to put it in the mediocre camp which while not glowing, does assuage my fears of it being an awful slog.  Thanks for the insight :)

I may have already mentioned this to you, but I know you had an issue with the daedric artifact in your other version of Skyrim.  If you had the same issue that I had,  (you couldnt get the dog to appear to take to I believe calactus vial's shrine) there is a way around it depending on which reward you chose for hircine's quest.  If you got the werewolf ring, by letting the werewolf live,  you can go back to the "bloated man's grotto" and kill the werewolf to get the other reward for the quest allowing you to get an extra daedric artifact.  (May not be worth your time, but I wanted to mention it just in case)

As always enjoyed the breakdown and am looking forward to next time.

Edited by Together_Comic

7 minutes ago, Together_Comic said:

I was really looking forward to your Andromeda review scientific evaluation.  I, also being a big fan of the original three, have been constantly putting it off basically on reputation alone and have been trying to decide if I want to tackle it sooner rather than later.  Your review  evaluation seems to put it in the mediocre camp which while not glowing, does assuage my fears of it being an awful slog.  Thanks for the insight :)

Yeah - I certainly was fully prepared for it to be a bad game - and I kind of felt like it was for the first 10 or so hours, but once I realised just how little it had in common with the trilogy, I began to simply take it for what it was, rather than mourning what it wasn't and genuinely found myself quite liking a lot of parts.

Sure, it's not the Shepherd games, but really, what is? ?

Still well worth a playthrough - and to be honest, at the end, I was even a little dissapointed that there won't be an Andromeda 2 - it sets up some future stuff, and I can't help but wonder what a sequel could have been, if the development pipeline were sorted, and they were really able to run with the new format.

I may have already mentioned this to you, but I know you had an issue with the daedric artifact in your other version of Skyrim.  If you had the same issue that I had, you couldnt get the dog to appear to take to I believe calactus vial's shrine there is a way around it depending on which reward you chose for hircine's quest.  If you got the werewolf ring, by letting the werewolf live,  you can go back to the "bloated man's grotto" and kill the werewolf to get the other reward for the quest allowing you to get an extra daedric artifact.  (May not be worth your time, but I wanted to mention it just in case)

Yeah... I know....

I actually mucked up more than one Deadric quest, so even doing the trick, I was still one short! :facepalm:

Hey -ho, gives me a chance to have another playthrough at some point I guess!

As always enjoyed the breakdown and am looking forward to next time.

Glad to have you following along ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Still well worth a playthrough - and to be honest, at the end, I was even a little dissapointed that there won't be an Andromeda 2 - it sets up some future stuff, and I can't help but wonder what a sequel could have been, if the development pipeline were sorted, and they were really able to run with the new format.

I mean, ethical dilemmas on the live service model of games aside,  Bioware did pull its primary development team from Anthem to work on a new Mass Effect game (or given your evaluation, maybe I should say a new game with the Mass Effect IP)... so there is always that I suppose. 

6 minutes ago, Together_Comic said:

I mean, ethical dilemmas on the live service model of games aside,  Bioware did pull its primary development team from Anthem to work on a new Mass Effect game (or given your evaluation, maybe I should say a new game with the Mass Effect IP)... so there is always that I suppose. 

True - not sure how that will work out - my guess is that they will simply ignore Andromeda given the wide critical and commercial issues it had, and simply start something fresh, as if that never happened.

I can say that, having played all of the games now, I would be perfectly happy to have a new game continue, or as least reference, the Andromeda stuff.

Edited by DrBloodmoney

My favourite improvement in terms of core mechanics in R&C2 was the ability to strafe from the start. In the first game it was tied to an item that you unlocked late in the game. And it was kind of clunky to control. In the sequel it's perfect. Just hold a button. It's almost hard to believe that it wasn't implemented in the first game.

12 minutes ago, Slava said:

My favourite improvement in terms of core mechanics in R&C2 was the ability to strafe from the start. In the first game it was tied to an item that you unlocked late in the game. And it was kind of clunky to control. In the sequel it's perfect. Just hold a button. It's almost hard to believe that it wasn't implemented in the first game.

I didn't even remember that being an item-specific unlock - what an odd idea to do that!

• Like 2

Great read as usual.. You actually kept me nice and sane this afternoon.. Every time I started to feel a bit of frustration creep in, when I messed up, with that pointy hatted skipping rope dick head, (sorry Vivi, I'm sure you'll turn out to be a great character) I had a tab open with this on it, so I'd just relax for a bit and read a review or two. So I appreciate today's instalment in more ways than one. I had to stop though, because I was making really good progress until one of my neighbours decided to channel Leatherface and go a bit nuts with a chainsaw, kind of murdered my concentration somewhat :D

Mass Effect Andromeda sort of sounds like Dragon Age: Inquisition specifically. Which kind of makes me a bit apprehensive about what I'm going to personally think about it. I'll be playing it regardless. I did buy it ages ago, so it would be a waste otherwise. There's plenty to like about it though from what you mentioned. So I think there'll be plenty of positives to be found.

Objectively,  Dragon Age: Inquisition isn't the worst entry in that series, but it sure doesn't feel like a fun time to play (least it wasn't for me anyway) . If I was going to make any analogy about it, for me it was like Bioware blowing a huge party horn (you know the ones that unravel at the end) into my face whilst shouting ISN'T THIS FUN... To which I just have to look at them with puzzlement and ask, what is fun about trudging across giant empty spaces, with barely any memorable characters in them, to do some pointless fetch quests that ultimately end up meaning very little and are just there to pad the run time? I expect in the amount of time that passed between me asking that hypothetical question - I would have had several more doses of the party horn to break up my speech. Well that got strange quickly..... Erm.... Erm... Good Review Doc....

There totally isn't going to be an rjkclarke shaped hole in the wall of this thread as I try desperately to run away from that analogy :D

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Mass Effect Andromeda sort of sounds like Dragon Age: Inquisition specifically. Which kind of makes me a bit apprehensive about what I'm going to personally think about it. I'll be playing it regardless. I did buy it ages ago, so it would be a waste otherwise. There's plenty to like about it though from what you mentioned. So I think there'll be plenty of positives to be found.

I haven't actually played Inquisition (got a physical copy, bought at lauch, and still in the shrink-wrap - that was a good use of my money, right? ? )- buuuuuut, I have seen gameplay, and know the game a little bit through seeing others play, and yes, you are 100% right - Andromeda made me think of that game specifically.

It makes sense of course - those were the first two Bioware Frostbite engine games - and so they are probably more closely aligned to each other than they are to their respective series ancestors.

Objectively,  Dragon Age: Inquisition isn't the worst entry in that series, but it sure doesn't feel like a fun time to play (least it wasn't for me anyway) . If I was going to make any analogy about it, for me it was like Bioware blowing a huge party horn (you know the ones that unravel at the end) into my face whilst shouting ISN'T THIS FUN... To which I just have to look at them with puzzlement and ask, what is fun about trudging across giant empty spaces, with barely any memorable characters in them, to do some pointless fetch quests that ultimately end up meaning very little and are just there to pad the run time?

Those are all points that are valid for Andromeda - 100% - but, I will say, Andromeda does have a legitimate answer (of sorts) to this specific question - the combat.

Combat in the game is uniformly good fun, and because - unlike the original trilogy - you can level infinitely, and can unlock every potential skill-set, (you aren't stuck picking Infiltrator or Biotic or Soldier etc. at the start - you can dynamically switch, and unlock whatever combo of skills and powers you want) and can - for a very modest sum of in game currency, with which there is precious little else to do - respect every character, ad-nausuem and to your heart's content - there is always some new way to fight that you can re-spec to, any time it starts to feel old.

That might not quite be enough for some folks (and really, for an RPG, it isn't enough, period,) but it is what kept me interested in the game on an hour-by-hour basis, during some of the long stretches where I wasn't engaged in meaningful or 'big' story stuff.

There totally isn't going to be an rjkclarke shaped hole in the wall of this thread as I try desperately to run away from that analogy :D

?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I haven't actually played Inquisition (got a physical copy, bought at lauch, and still in the shrink-wrap - that was a good use of my money, right? 1f602.png - buuuuuut, I have seen gameplay, and know the game a little bit through seeing others play, and yes, you are 100% right - Andromeda made me think of that game specifically.

It makes sense of course - those were the first two Bioware Frostbite engine games - and so they are probably more closely aligned to each other than they are to their respective series ancestors.

Well I'll be honest I've done a much more shameful thing than that.. I've literally had Dishonoured 2 in its shrink wrap, possibly from launch too. That one is even worse, because I love the first game a hell of a lot. I've got no worries or reservations about starting that game either, I absolutely know I'm going to enjoy playing... So... I'd say that's probably worse :)

I hope I haven't put you off Inquisition too much, there's plenty to like in it just like Andromeda seems to have. Although the people who join your little inquisition, are some pretty uninteresting bland people, that if they were a dinner, they would be fish fingers, chips and pease pudding. If you like that, great..  Well actually if you specifically like that, you are probably my Dad.. I doubt there's that many who would be fond of something so specific. I took a longer time than necessary to just say beige, I guess haha :D

Actually, I'll tie this onto what I would have responded, had I quoted your bit about the gameplay of Andromeda. Inquisition essentially has the same thing going for it, by the sounds of it. Which is it's combat. There's plenty of really versatile and viable builds to be played around with in Inquisition. Its so versatile in fact that, there are a lot of incredibly viable character builds for the highest difficulty.

You can't say that about most games. They often have a few accepted meta-builds that essentially will get you through the difficulty, but it's rare for there to be so many, that actually enhance the experience in a positive way. Meta-builds for characters while useful, often steer you into playing a certain way, which is functional sure, but not always enjoyable. Looks like Inquisition and Andromeda have a lot more in common than I expected. Which probably means I should tackle the platinum in one playthrough if that's an option, so it doesn't outstay its welcome without meaning to.

11 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Well I'll be honest I've done a much more shameful thing than that.. I've literally had Dishonoured 2 in its shrink wrap, possibly from launch too. That one is even worse, because I love the first game a hell of a lot. I've got no worries or reservations about starting that game either, I absolutely know I'm going to enjoy playing... So... I'd say that's probably worse :)

I hope I haven't put you off Inquisition too much, there's plenty to like in it just like Andromeda seems to have. Although the people who join your little inquisition, are some pretty uninteresting bland people, that if they were a dinner, they would be fish fingers, chips and pease pudding. If you like that, great..  Well actually if you specifically like that, you are probably my Dad.. I doubt there's that many who would be fond of something so specific. I took a longer time than necessary to just say beige, I guess haha :D

Actually, I'll tie this onto what I would have responded, had I quoted your bit about the gameplay of Andromeda. Inquisition essentially has the same thing going for it, by the sounds of it. Which is it's combat. There's plenty of really versatile and viable builds to be played around with in Inquisition. Its so versatile in fact that, there are a lot of incredibly viable character builds for the highest difficulty.

You can't say that about most games. They often have a few accepted meta-builds that essentially will get you through the difficulty, but it's rare for there to be so many, that actually enhance the experience in a positive way. Meta-builds for characters while useful, often steer you into playing a certain way, which is functional sure, but not always enjoyable. Looks like Inquisition and Andromeda have a lot more in common than I expected. Which probably means I should tackle the platinum in one playthrough if that's an option, so it doesn't outstay its welcome without meaning to.

Yeah - It certainly sounds like both games were plagued by the same problem, and - from what you say - also failed to implement the one thing that was in their control that could have alleviated it - good writing.

The thing is - it is fairly well known that Bioware had a lot of problems with Frostbite - it was an engine designed for FPS and action, and didn't have any of the modules needed for RPG mechanics, which had to be added from the ground up. That makes it totally make sense that combat would be the strongest aspect, and the RPG and cinematic side would suffer a little - and that could be forgiven given that they were essentially force to use an engine that was difficult to tame...

However... 

The one thing they absolutely did have control over was the actual writing. That isn't contingent on an engine - all they needed was a pad and a pen!

I'm willing to accept that the individual RPG mechanics are simple as a result of the engine, but there's no reason why some of the side quests have to narratively be about as interesting as a TED talk on the colour beige.

You would think that, if you know you have a mechanical weakness, you want to make sure the writing is absolutely blistering.

Indie games, that don''t have the budget for big tech-heavy showy games do it all the time. You are Bioware for goodness sake ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1