DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

36 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It's telling that you don't have any Arkham games on your profile - I actually think that if more people had played Mordor without having any Arkham experience prior to it, there would be a lot more folks sharing this sentiment.

I owned an Xbox 360 before my PS4 so I have played I think 2 of the 'arkham' games but not on this profile. I really didn't like them either and wouldn't have started SoW if I'd realised it was similar!!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JoesusHCrust said:

I owned an Xbox 360 before my PS4 so I have played I think 2 of the 'arkham' games but not on this profile. I really didn't like them either and wouldn't have started SoW if I'd realised it was similar!!!

Ah - okay - fair enough!

Like I said - I like that combat style, but it is very much it’s own thing - so it isn’t super surprising that you disliked Arkham games too - Shadow of Mordor is the bigger scope, but looser and less precise version of the exact same model - one entirely about ‘flow’ and ‘tempo’, as opposed to more traditional ‘precision’ and ‘combos’ that other games traffic in.

Did you ever try the Insomniac Spiderman game?

I do wonder if it would have the same effect for you - it’s in the same vein, but is a step even further in the ‘loose’ direction, even from Shadow of Mordor, so starts to spilt the difference a bit more between ‘Arkham Style’ and a more traditional ‘brawler style’...

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

This was my reaction on entering and reading @JoesusHCrust discussing his thoughts on Shadow of Mordor ?

To be honest though, it's a perfectly valid response to that game, unless you specifically like that sort of combat you probably would struggle with it a fair bit. I think it would probably be the same if people suddenly played Mad Max, but probably to an even greater degree - that game has even less of the Arkham style finesse that at least Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War have more of.

If you do ever go back to it, I'd maybe recommend going in with a more stealth focused approach, at least until you have some more of the combat abilities. It's one of the things I think that game does quite a poor job of early on, which is that you can go in and fight hordes of Orcs early on, but it is significantly harder than later in the game where you have plenty of abilities that let you crowd control a bit more. The game just never really does a great job of sign-posting that, so when I played it I found I was often getting quite overwhelmed by Orcs once an alarm had been sounded. Then it just gets a bit frustrating.

As far as the story goes, I'm probably in a similar boat to @DrBloodmoney, I'm a long time Lord of the Rings fan. I've read The Silmarillion too, (not as many times as my Dad he's read that an unusual amount) which this game... Well.... I'm hesitant to say borrows from, because if you talked about Shadow of Mordor and War in the sense that they are dishes, the Silmarillion elements are treated like things that were found in the back of the cupboard and then just thrown in. Or at the very least just did something strange with like.... I don't know.... Boiling a Gammon steak. I don't personally mind the changes though and in the case of Shadow of War I think they do some genuinely interesting but very different things with their source material. I'm quite looking forward to what the science has to say about Shadow of War.. I think I probably enjoyed that game a bit more than most did.

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Karate Chop?

Whilst I'm here, I think I should say good job on the latest scientific rankings by the way.. I meant to say that around the time you posted them, but I think I just forgot. Sorry!!. It was nice to see Prince of Persia 2008 getting some positive representation, although I knew it would... I think we've discussed that game in this thread actually, quite a few pages back now. I just wish the Prince was a little more than a bland Nolan North performance..

Your Bloodborne review reminded me how much I like that game, I really ought to go back to it and grab that one DLC weapon I'm missing that's stopping me from 100%.. That way I can do review on it and tell the funny story about why I missed it in the first place.

I'm kind of tempted to try Flower, I might even own it, I'd have to check on PS3... It's one of those "I've just never quite gotten around to it" games.. We'll have to see, but from what you said it's one of those where it seems like there are more modern stylistic yet  similar alternatives, that might be a slightly better option.

Nice to see @YaManSmevz nominate The Saboteur... That game is such a forgotten title, I mean I had practically forgotten it myself (despite being very fond of it), until I saw it mentioned and I love it and have the platinum in it, it just kind of flies under the radar a bit.

Looking forward to your application of the science to Beyond Good and Evil HD... Going to be a weird one whenever I get around to reviewing that myself... I'll share a story about that game.. I literally bought Beyond Good and Evil on the PS2 because a really hot girl who worked in GAME was like.... "Hey, you should play this, this games really good, I really love it you can do this and that etc...." and my teenage brain was like... "SOLD" I thought if she liked it, it must be good right... Well thankfully she wasn't wrong, at least I don't think anyway.

Keep up the scientific analysis man!!

• Like 2

Was browsing Aussie EB games store this week... found used copies of Prey (Aus$9) and Dishonored 2 (Aus$4).

On the lookout now for a decent copy of Dishonored 1 and a PSN discount of Transistor.

As the recommendations were prescribed by a real doctor based on unquestionable science, I expect to enjoy these offerings. Otherwise (as is to be expected), you will be hearing from my legal representative in 1-2 working weeks for recompense, damages and mental anguish.

Edited by GonzoWARgasm
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

Was browsing Aussie EB games store this week... found used copies of Prey (Aus$9) and Dishonored 2 (Aus$4).

On the lookout now for a decent copy of Dishonored 1 and a PSN discount of Transistor.

As the recommendations were prescribed by a real doctor based on unquestionable science, I expect to enjoy these offerings. Otherwise (as is to be expected), you will be hearing from my legal representative in 1-2 working weeks for recompense, damages and mental anguish.

Haha - awesome man, that is a serious chuck of awesome gaming right there!

I only guarantee that they are awesome - I take no responsibility for the loss of social standing, income or mental stability that comes with taking on so much good gaming all at once! 

I can only caution that you pace yourself, for fear of overdosing on awesome - that's part of my Hippopotamus Oath.

23 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I'm kind of tempted to try Flower, I might even own it, I'd have to check on PS3... It's one of those "I've just never quite gotten around to it" games.. We'll have to see, but from what you said it's one of those where it seems like there are more modern stylistic yet  similar alternatives, that might be a slightly better option.

Nothing wrong with Flower - totally valid use of gaming time, sure, I certainly think there are better examples of artistic games with artistic messages out there (This War of Mine was one I know you checked out,) but that doesn't mean Flower is to be avoided - and I hear the HD version that was remastered by Bluepoint looks even better than the one I played...

Looking forward to your application of the science to Beyond Good and Evil HD... Going to be a weird one whenever I get around to reviewing that myself... I'll share a story about that game.. I literally bought Beyond Good and Evil on the PS2 because a really hot girl who worked in GAME was like.... "Hey, you should play this, this games really good, I really love it you can do this and that etc...." and my teenage brain was like... "SOLD" I thought if she liked it, it must be good right... Well thankfully she wasn't wrong, at least I don't think anyway.

? - Hey, I can think of worse reasons to buy a game :dunno:

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

As usual, beautiful review there, one line caught my attention though:

10 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

UI is an area that has been vastly improved. Item Burden remains a factor, and item management still requires use of the games humanoid item chest Stockpile Thomas, but now, items can be remotely sent there, negating the requirement for needless back and forth to avoid over-encumbrance.

That alone would get 10Umbasas/10. Item Burden was A PAIN in the main game! That remake is truly beautiful <3 

• Like 2

I mentioned the camera as one of the flaws in my review of BG&E as well. I remember it being annoying in a couple of places and breaking completely one time. Most of the time it was fine though. The music in this game was definitely great. The highest praise I can give to an original game soundtrack is that I can recall the songs and play the melody: the Mammago's garage reggae tune, the song "Propaganda" that played in the bar, even the piano music from the credits. The OST had a great mix of represented cultures as well. My favourite part of the game has to be the animal photography mechanic ?. A great example of how to make a collectible in a game enjoyable. It also fits the character well - Jade's camera finds some use for things other than, you know, uncovering the secrets.

I'd say Resi 3 on PS1 is still worth playing if you like the second game. Don't know about the remake, but the old version had a cool mechanic where you needed to choose quickly one of the two options in a cutscene which led to different paths or risk vs reward battles. It was kind of a different approach to making the game replayable instead of having scenarios A and B. For example, you can run away from Nemesis or fight him. If you choose to fight and win, you spend more bullets but get some weapon parts as a reward. In the branching paths scenes, you get to explore small sub-areas. Yeah, and Jill was very cool even back then ?.

Speaking of Jill, I recently heard one streamer mention that she might be one of the videogame characters with most re-designs alongside Chris Redfield. The RE1/RE3 Jill model looks different from the RE Remake Jill model, which looks different from the RE5 model, which looks different from the RE3 Remake model. Other than Sonic and Mario, I can't really think of many characters with more design iterations ?.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Slava said:

I mentioned the camera as one of the flaws in my review of BG&E as well. I remember it being annoying in a couple of places and breaking completely one time. Most of the time it was fine though. The music in this game was definitely great. The highest praise I can give to an original game soundtrack is that I can recall the songs and play the melody: the Mammago's garage reggae tune, the song "Propaganda" that played in the bar, even the piano music from the credits. The OST had a great mix of represented cultures as well. My favourite part of the game has to be the animal photography mechanic 1f601.png. A great example of how to make a collectible in a game enjoyable. It also fits the character well - Jade's camera finds some use for things other than, you know, uncovering the secrets.

Yeah - it's definitely one of those game that when I went back and played it (I think it was for one of the Project Platinums back when those were more a thing here) I realised very quickly that I had missed out by not playing it at the time of release - still held up well, but it's one I think I would have really fallen hard for had I played it at the time!

I'd say Resi 3 on PS1 is still worth playing if you like the second game. Don't know about the remake, but the old version had a cool mechanic where you needed to choose quickly one of the two options in a cutscene which led to different paths or risk vs reward battles. It was kind of a different approach to making the game replayable instead of having scenarios A and B. For example, you can run away from Nemesis or fight him. If you choose to fight and win, you spend more bullets but get some weapon parts as a reward. In the branching paths scenes, you get to explore small sub-areas. Yeah, and Jill was very cool even back then 1f601.png.

That's a cool concept- I should maybe go back and check it out - there are a few from that time that I missed out on - I kind of started strong with RE, so played 1 and 2, but missed 3, Code Veronica, then picked them back up with 4 &  5  (and 6 unfortunately ?). 

Speaking of Jill, I recently heard one streamer mention that she might be one the videogame characters with most re-designs alongside Chris Redfield. The RE1/RE3 Jill model looks different from the RE Remake Jill model, which looks different from the RE5 model, which looks different from the RE3 Remake model. Other than Sonic and Mario, I can't really think of many characters with more design iterations 1f914.png.

That could well be true - I went back to finish up RE5 after playing the RE3 Remake, and seeing the Jill in that game was jarring - it's such a weaker design, and doesn't feel anywhere close to the Jill I knew from this one!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Code Veronica

Probably my second favourite RE game after RE2. Don't know if I'd call it "The REAL RE3", but I certainly liked it more than many Resident Evil fans did. You'd often see it low in someone's tier list or whatever.

As for me, the ones I skipped were RE0, RE4, RE6 (thankfully ?) and everything after that. Still want to play 4. A lot of people like it to the point of calling it the best game in the series.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Slava said:

Probably my second favourite RE game after RE2. Don't know if I'd call it "The REAL RE3", but I certainly liked it more than many Resident Evil fans did. You'd often see it low in someone's tier list or whatever.

As for me, the ones I skipped were RE4 and RE6 (thankfully 1f601.png). Still want to play 4. A lot of people like it to the point of calling it the best game in the series.

Yeah - my mate who is a big RE fan (and enjoys castigating me for my lack of care in missing some!) agrees with you - Code Veronica is, of the ones I missed, the one he most often tells me I need to play! There were some rumblings that it would be getting the remake treatment at some point too (I mean, it's Capcom, and they are remake-happy at this point - I'm half expecting to hear a remake of Black Tiger is in the works any day now ?)

On RE4 - and I'm aware that I might be the only person to ever tell you this - but... I don't really think you missed all that much.

It's fine, but I didn't really think the game was all that revelatory.

It did some great things for advancing TPS controls at the time - we'd probably not have things like Gears of War without RE4, but I actually enjoyed RE5 significantly more than RE4.

I would even say (and I know this is heresy) some of the (few) good bits of RE6 (The Leon / Helena stuff) was more enjoyable to me than most of RE4 - though I acknowledge that I love co-op, and those games were basically doing RE4 stuff, but with split-screen co-op.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slava said:

Right. I heard the co-op is what makes RE5's gameplay great. Sadly, I played alone (11-12 years ago), so the game felt weird for me.

Yeah - I played a little in single player, but the AI companion never felt great to me - it always felt like they were either doing too much, and I felt like I was just a bystander in someone else's game, or too little,  and they became a bit of a burden I had to look out for.

TBH, that's part of what annoyed me sometimes in RE4 - you spend a lot of time protecting an AI companion, but they are not a fighter, so you ended up spending a lot of time putting her in conveniently placed dumpsters, then fighting, then taking her back out again, for fear that she would get killed - man, she must have smelled terrible by the time that game was done ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

Doctor, I'd like to recommend a game for you to play, rather than review! I'm currently playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance and I think you'd enjoy it. You know that I'm not a fan of combat in games but in this one, the combat is so uniquely novel that even I enjoy it. The game has a very steep learning curve as you play as a medieval blacksmith's apprentice and have the combat ability, equipment and general skills that a medieval blacksmith's apprentice would have! Anyway, Games writing isn't my strongest skillset so I'm not really selling it but trust me and give it a go! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JoesusHCrust said:

Doctor, I'd like to recommend a game for you to play, rather than review! I'm currently playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance and I think you'd enjoy it. You know that I'm not a fan of combat in games but in this one, the combat is so uniquely novel that even I enjoy it. The game has a very steep learning curve as you play as a medieval blacksmith's apprentice and have the combat ability, equipment and general skills that a medieval blacksmith's apprentice would have! Anyway, Games writing isn't my strongest skillset so I'm not really selling it but trust me and give it a go! 

Hey man - glad you are enjoying the game!

I'll start by saying, I love getting game recommendations (it's basically why I like reading so many of these trophy checklist threads in the first place!), and definitely want people to feel free to recommend me stuff (so don't be deterred by this one instance!) - but in this particular instance, I'm gonna decline...

That game, along with a few others (Shadow Complex / Undertale / a couple of others) belong to a (tiny, almost statistically insignificant,) but very specific subset of games that - while I am confident I might enjoy them quite a bit - I will, under no circumstances, purchase, play or review them, for reasons that have nothing to do with the games, and everything to do with the actions/ public comments etc. of their creators or people closely tied to, or representative of, the games.

I won't go into the exact nature here, as it's my own choice, and not something I feel I need to try an foist on others, (the reasons are, i'm sure, freely available online,) but I'll simply say - not gonna happen I'm afraid... but happy you are enjoying it, and always happy to be recommended stuff!

54 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I will, under no circumstances, purchase, play or review them, for reasons that have nothing to do with the games, and everything to do with the actions/ public comments etc. of their creators or people closely tied to, or representative of, the games.

Ah! Politics! Now this is a subject I do care about and can write about!! I stood as a prospective parliamentary candidate in the 2019 UK general election and am very involved with left-wing politics. I won't hijack your thread but I may start another one in the 'off-topic' section of this website so we can discuss.........stuff. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Undertale

P.S. in my humble opinion, you're really not missing out on anything by skipping this game which is hugely over-rated! The 'USP' is supposed to be the breadth of ways you can complete the game (including the infamous pacifist method that according to certain fans you're 'supposed' to do!) but honestly there are hundreds of games that offer more gameplay variety including pacifist options (actually KC:D can be played through only making one kill).

• Like 1

newtestsubjects.jpg

269b.png!!SCIENCE UPDATE!!269b.png

The next 5 (somewhat) randomly selected games to be submitted for scientific analysis shall be:

Burnout Paradise
Far Cry Primal
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus

Sound Shapes
The Saboteur

Subjects in RED marked for 274e.pngPRIORITY ASSIGNEMENT274e.png

[Care of @Copanele , @Slava & @YaManSmevz  ]

Can 'Current Most Awesome' game, Invisible Inc, maintain the title for another round?

Is new last-in-show Space Overlords going to have any competition for 'Least Awesome Game' ?

Let's find out!

• Like 2

On 7/29/2021 at 9:19 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

the Jill Valentine on show in this remake is one of the most enjoyable characters I have played a game with in quite some time. The portrayal is written, acted and voiced (by Nicole Tompkins,) to an absurdly high level,

Haven't got around to playing it yet (massive RE fan that's fair poor but then I'm miles behind lol) but Nicole Tompkins is awesome, and her youtube channel with playthroughs of RE games with fellow RE alumni are well worth a watch ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The_Kopite said:

Haven't got around to playing it yet (massive RE fan that's fair poor but then I'm miles behind lol) but Nicole Tompkins is awesome, and her youtube channel with playthroughs of RE games with fellow RE alumni are well worth a watch 1f44d.png

huh - I’ve never heard of those - I’ll need to have a watch. Good shout min!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

huh - I’ve never heard of those - I’ll need to have a watch. Good shout min!

Yeah, she has done playthroughs of (in terms of RE games) REmake, RE2R, RE3R and RE Village at least. Possibly RE7 aswell (I forget lol) and has lots of fellow voice actors on like Jeff Schine (Carlos RE3R, Chris RE Village), Heidi Swan (Jill REmake), Stephanie Pasinello (Claire RE2R) and more. They can be really insightful and very fun.

Edited by The_Kopite
Spelt a name incorrectly
  • Like 2

On 31/07/2021 at 7:25 PM, The_Kopite said:

Yeah, she has done playthroughs of (in terms of RE games) REmake, RE2R, RE3R and RE Village at least. Possibly RE7 aswell (I forget lol) and has lots of fellow voice actors on like Jeff Schine (Carlos RE3R, Chris RE Village), Heidi Swan (Jill REmake), Stephanie Pasinello (Claire RE2R) and more. They can be really insightful and very fun.

You were right about these man - watched a few of the RE3 ones in the background while working today - and she's charming as hell - good shout ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2