DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

Just now, KindaSabbath said:

Bro, I'm so out of the loop! I didn't realise the PS5 version was out? If so, I'll definitely have to give this one a replay. I adore these games!

Yup - free for all those who had it on PS4, so should be on the store waiting for you!

To be honest, I've rarely gone for games a second time through with these free PS5 upgrades (I'm certainly planning on doing FFVIIR, at some point, and I did the Hitman 3 upgrade to get the better version for all the future content and elusive targets etc, but that's been it so far...

...but Little Nightmares II was too good a game to pass up a freebie!

• Like 1

Late to the party re. Hitman but since PSPlus has now given away two of the three for free, it might be nice to have all three reviewed seperately as many people will have two of the trilogy in their back catalogue since they've been freebies in the past (or present, with Hitman 2!). 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, JoesusHCrust said:

Late to the party re. Hitman but since PSPlus has now given away two of the three for free, it might be nice to have all three reviewed seperately as many people will have two of the trilogy in their back catalogue since they've been freebies in the past (or present, with Hitman 2!). 

That’s my new plan ?

Once I get the current batch out of the way (It’s taking a while, because there was a lot to say on the current batch, and there are two bonus games in it!), I’m going to do all 3 Hitman games in one fell swoop - but with separate rankings for each ?

• Like 3

Just as I thought your write-ups couldn't get any better.. You're on another level now mate.. IGN/Gamespot etc would be lucky to have you (for real) 

I recently finished up The Surge and have just begun my DishonoUred journey. Can definitely see why you rate them so highly, great games (Dishonored subject to change post trials ?)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Shrooba said:

Great work on the latest stuff! I see you've also got Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order! Wasn't aware it was ported to the PS5, looks like it'll be a ton of fun! I look forward to the future updates. 1f600.png

Thanks!

I actually bought Jedi ages ago, but by the time I got around to playing it, the PS5 upgrade was already there free for me, so worked out well!

(Of course, if I cared about rarity, it would be a pain, as the rarity is through the roof on that version, since folks can autopop it… but luckily I don’t care about that stuff much)

Let me tell you though - it really highlighted one of the flaws with the PS5 system software UI in it’s current form - it was not easy AT ALL to tell which version I was about to load up to start playing :blink:

They really need to make it more obvious which version you are looking at the tile for - it is bizarrely difficult to tell! I ended up just loading and then checking the trophy list to see which one had attached to my profile!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

(Of course, if I cared about rarity, it would be a pain, as the rarity is through the roof on that version, since folks can autopop it… but luckily I don’t care about that stuff much)

I agree with you 100%! What I always aim for in games is to have fun, and the trophies are just a motivation to see a game to it's fullest. Rarity, whether it be common or rare, shouldn't get in the way of enjoyment in a game. What matters is that you have a good time and play good quality games, and seeing as you've kept your checklist going for this long, I'd say you're enjoying your games, and it shows in your reviews! You've had a ton of passion put into each one!

I always like to look back at Persona 5 Royal; it's plat sits above 40%, and if I avoided it for that, I'd have missed out on one of the best games the PS4 has to offer. It's great to see you stick to what you love doing, keep it up! ?

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Shrooba said:

I agree with you 100%! What I always aim for in games is to have fun, and the trophies are just a motivation to see a game to it's fullest. Rarity, whether it be common or rare, shouldn't get in the way of enjoyment in a game. What matters is that you have a good time and play good quality games, and seeing as you've kept your checklist going for this long, I'd say you're enjoying your games, and it shows in your reviews! You've had a ton of passion put into each one!

I always like to look back at Persona 5 Royal; it's plat sits above 40%, and if I avoided it for that, I'd have missed out on one of the best games the PS4 has to offer. It's great to see you stick to what you love doing, keep it up! 1f44d.png

Agree 100%. Play what you want to play, because you will enjoy it. Gaming is supposed to be fun :)

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Shrooba said:

I always like to look back at Persona 5 Royal; it's plat sits above 40%, and if I avoided it for that, I'd have missed out on one of the best games the PS4 has to offer. It's great to see you stick to what you love doing, keep it up! 1f44d.png

Not to give away too much about the upcoming batch…

…but I wholeheartedly agree ??

• Like 1

I hope you enjoy Jedi: Fallen Order. I'll look forward to reading your writeup. I bought it as a special treat for my 100th platinum, but to be honest it was a little disappointing. I've seen it described as 'Star Wars parkour' and this is pretty much exactly what it is. It's a sort of puzzle platformer with a Star Wars overlay. Not bad by any stretch, but a solid 5/10. Unremarkable! Anyway, my science training is in climatology and biodiversity so I'm not qualified to comment on proper gameological scientific research! We'll see what the real science says! :) 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Good read as always. Might I ask for God of War, considering the sequel is bound to have some more information on PlayStation Showcase and you were just mentioning how it's not on the list yet? :P

Absolutely mate - I do try and get series like that one done roughly in release order when I can, just to give proper context to them, so I should really try and get at least the three mainline releases in the original series done before tackling the reboot - but I'll flag them all with your name for priority so I remember to at least get the ball rolling sometime soon - you're right, it's weird that there's over 200 games on the ranking now, and no Kratos to show for it!

• Like 1

Awesome reviews! One game mention stood out in that Arkham Asylum review though...

7 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

For every Arkham Asylum, there is a Catwoman...
...and therein lies the rub. 

Catwoman is part of the reason I was, personally, very sceptical about Arkham Asylum
I was, it seemed, one of about 7 people to have actually played Catwoman.

Catwoman - the lacklustre 2004 Gamecube tie-in to the dire Halle Berry movie - was the final game crafted by (and final nail in the coffin of) Argonaut Studios. (It wasn't actually the last Argonaut game released, as they created Starfox 2 for Nintendo in 1996, the release of which was delayed until 2017, but I digress.)

Rocksteady, to all intents and purposes, is Argonaut. Both Jamie Walker and Sefton Hill (Rocksteady's founders) were major players in Argonaut (Creative Director and Head of Production respectively) and in building the studio, a large swathe of their early hires were former colleagues.
In some ways, that may make some of the more surface level elements of the Arkham Asylum tale make a little more sense - it is less surprising that an IP as valuable as the Batman licence would be given to a relatively young, 'unproven' studio when one considers that there will have been some previous relationships already in existence between the parties - however, while there are some visible areas of direct lineage between Catwoman and Arkham Asylum in terms of game design, there is nothing obvious in that 2004 game that hints at the level of quality Rocksteady would manage to pack into their next comic-book related character action game.

Having played Catwoman (to completion, I might add - God help me!,) I expected a middling-to-bad 3D platforming, linear-narrative game with some very ropey combat. 
What I got, was one of the most lavishly produced, intimately detailed, lovingly crafted and stridently confident 3D Metroidvania games I had played up to that point.

Holy damn you played Catwoman the 2004 AND completed it (something that I never managed to do since the game was...the way it was). WOWZIE! That deserves lots of respect and a big F from the gaming community ? just how could you manage to get through that heap of trash?

I can't believe someone else remembered that nightmare of a "superhero" game. Terribly sorry for Halle Berry since she is amazing but man, both the movie AND the game were subpar. Thanks again Rocksteady for saving the superhero games genre with Batman Arkham Asylum.

They should have done Watchmen too instead of...whoever that development team was.

• Like 1

Just now, Copanele said:

Awesome reviews! One game mention stood out in that Arkham Asylum review though...

Holy damn you played Catwoman the 2004 AND completed it (something that I never managed to do since the game was...the way it was). WOWZIE! That deserves lots of respect and a big F from the gaming community 1f602.png just how could you manage to get through that heap of trash?

I can't believe someone else remembered that nightmare of a "superhero" game. Terribly sorry for Halle Berry since she is amazing but man, both the movie AND the game were subpar. Thanks again Rocksteady for saving the superhero games genre with Batman Arkham Asylum.

They should have done Watchmen too instead of...whoever that development team was.

? You know what the most ridiculous irony is? I played that game to completion - yet I have never made it all the way through the film it's based on! Despite Sharon Stone's best efforts (seriously, she seems to be the only person in the movie who knows exactly what kind of movie she is in, and actually goes a marginal way towards saving it... but no one could save that movie ?)

God  - a Rocksteady Watchmen - that's a genuinely interesting proposition!

I must admit, I do like the Snyder movie - and Rocksteady could have done a hell of a job doing a game in the tone of the film, but as a massive fan of the novel, I do kind of think that the second you start doing an 'action' game with Watchmen, you may win the battle, but you've lost the war.

Really, if Watchmen were to be made, and be true to the comic, it would really need to be like Telltale or Supermassive or DotNod or someone like them who did it, I think... someone who could make it entirely dialogue and choice / detective story based - given that really, there was very little violence in it before Snyder got his Snyder-juice all over it ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

1f602.png You know what the most ridiculous irony is? I played that game to completion - yet I have never made it all the way through the film it's based on! Despite Sharon Stone's best efforts (seriously, she seems to be the only person in the movie who knows exactly what kind of movie she is in, and actually goes a marginal way towards saving it... but no one could save that movie 1f602.png)

God  - a Rocksteady Watchmen - that's a genuinely interesting proposition!

I must admit, I do like the Snyder movie - and Rocksteady could have done a hell of a job doing a game in the tone of the film, but as a massive fan of the novel, I do kind of think that the second you start doing an 'action' game with Watchmen, you may win the battle, but you've lost the war.

Really, if Watchmen were to be made, and be true to the comic, it would really need to be like Telltale or Supermassive or DotNod or someone like them who did it, I think... someone who could make it entirely dialogue and choice / detective story based - given that really, there was very little violence in it before Snyder got his Snyder-juice all over it 1f602.png

Lol I saw the entire movie. So that's the saving grace. Not really, the movie was a complete pain. Sharon Stone tried her best, but having an evildoer whose superpower is cement face cream...ok no, I just remembered the movie, let's dial that back xD 

You got a good point there! I also read the novel and watched the movie (didn't think the movie was that bad either, the Comedian was the highlight for me), but yes, the whole story is more of a meta-commentary and less of a bone cracking experience with Nite Owl and Rorschach. If it focused on the fights, it defeats the entire purpose of the novel...

...but with Rocksteady you at least win a battle. With Deadline Games(googled them) they lost the battle, the war and the brawl behind the pub.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 2:05 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Thank you very much! 1f60d.png

Coming from someone with a profile of your calibre, that's one of the best compliments I've ever received, I really appreciate it1f60a.png

Hope I can continue to satisfy, and thank you for the view 1f618.png

Thanks! I really have played a little of everything huh?! I’m pretty proud of the profile too :)

Thank YOU for the view ?

On 9/4/2021 at 2:26 AM, AihaLoveleaf said:

Far better than your terrible manners.

It was clearly, (or rather I assumed clearly) a joke using the same assured language OP used in his post. Like “scientifically your taste is terrible!” Just like he said “scientifically these games are rated as such!” Both are meant to be playful and sarcastic.

Sorry it didn’t come across that way!

• Like 1