DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

So I've just been skimming these to keep engaged with it and they are just great. I'm finding a bit more time to give them the proper read that they deserve and I'm thinking right where did I get to ?

I'll just start at the beginning, you've organised it pretty nicely into batches. I can find them easily. It's ummm..... evolved pretty drastically from batch 1 hasn't it ? Those earlier reviews could almost do with a remaster!

• Like 2

Just now, Cleggworth said:

I'll just start at the beginning, you've organised it pretty nicely into batches. I can find them easily. It's ummm..... evolved pretty drastically from batch 1 hasn't it ? Those earlier reviews could almost do with a remaster!

?

You're not wrong - the first 4 or 5 batches were when this was a very different type of thread!

I think possibly, if the ranking ever does catch up with me and everything is on there, I might do some 'redux' reviews of the first ones (and the original 10 games, which never got a review at all) - but lets face it, at my current pace, we'll be probably in PS6 territory before them ?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KindaSabbath said:

Just to chime in on the evolution of this thread: it's so fucking well organised and generally just well executed, that now, it's becoming a part of my routine if I'm looking up my next game - I quickly pop in here - look for the the game, check the batch it's in and see what you've had to say about it so I can factor it into my decision. 1f44d.png

I think that's honestly the best compliment I could receive mate -thank you! ?

I certainly don't expect folks to necessarily sit and read through an entire batch in one go - lord knows, I don't write them in one go either! - but if the ranking thread ends up becoming an easy resource for folks to quickly jump to a specific review and get one persons perspective on it, and feel satisfied, then it'll have done it's job as intended, as far as I'm concerned!

• Like 4

??!Scientific Analysis Modification Alert!??

Due to the conflation of my (up to now) rather rigid scheduling, and my desire to have reviews work 'in context', I have hit an issue!

For the first time since this thread began, I need to make a 'swap' in a live Batch. ?

And you all know, I like to include a review/ranking of all recently S-Ranked games as 'bonus' entries in whatever the current batch is.

I am particularly keen on doing so if that game is a recent release, as those are potentially the most useful reviews for some people to see, as there is a slim possibility they might influence their wallet, and not just their heckles!

As such, I want to do my review of Life is Strange: True Colours ASAP, however, I feel the game cannot be properly evaluated without at least the original Life is Strange being done first. 

Given that there is already 2 bonus games in this batch, adding another extra on is potentially going to cause me to break the forum software as I have done in the past, and so  don't want to just tack on another review.

As such, I have modified the current batch in progress - removing Persona 4: Dancing All Night, and adding in Life is Strange.

Apologies to @Shrooba - I do feel bad removing a "Priority Ranking" - but unfortunately, all the entries in this batch were Priority Rankings, and P4:D was the only one I hadn't already begun writing - just luck of the draw!

I promise it will be done in the next batch - you have my word as a Scientist! ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

It's all good, write what you have the most passion for first! ? When talking about a sequel to a game, talking about it's predecessor is always a good place to start, so discussing the original Life is Strange is a good point to tackle first.
P4:D is the longest of the three, and covering it's entire story would take a while for sure.
In science, as we lay out hypotheses, sometimes we gotta go back to the drawing board and re-evaluate how to experiment with an endeavour! ?

Edited by Shrooba
  • Like 1

On 11/09/2021 at 5:37 PM, KindaSabbath said:

Just to chime in on the evolution of this thread: it's so fucking well organised and generally just well executed, that now, it's becoming a part of my routine if I'm looking up my next game - I quickly pop in here - look for the the game, check the batch it's in and see what you've had to say about it so I can factor it into my decision. ?

Agreed. On that note: please add Ether One to your expanding list of priorities Doc, it's entered onto my radar and a review would be grand.

• Like 2

So uhhh, did I do something wrong when playing the game if I liked Kratos lol. Yes he is the reason for his own undoing but once he gets going he won’t let anything stand in the way of his vengeance. One reason why I didn’t care for the reboot is because it wasn’t the same Kratos but I guess that’s why it’s a reboot and not a direct continuation of the series. On that note the game icon you’ve used is for the reboot, not the original game. Could I also request a review for God Of War 2 as that’s my favourite in the series.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FilmFanatic said:

So uhhh, did I do something wrong when playing the game if I liked Kratos lol. Yes he is the reason for his own undoing but once he gets going he won’t let anything stand in the way of his vengeance. One reason why I didn’t care for the reboot is because it wasn’t the same Kratos but I guess that’s why it’s a reboot and not a direct continuation of the series. On that note the game icon you’ve used is for the reboot, not the original game.

Don't get me wrong - I really tried to make it clear that, while I dislike Kratos on an 'emotional' level, I really do think he is the best possible protagonist for this kind of game. Like in those books I mentioned, the character is not someone I empathise with, but his arc does hold my attention absolutely, and his uncompromising embodiment of vengeance and hatred is incredibly compelling as a narrative plot device - it just doesn't have any emotional connection or sympathetic angle for me to lean on.

2 minutes ago, FilmFanatic said:

Could I also request a review for God Of War 2 as that’s my favourite in the series.

Aside from the reboot - mine too!

Absolutely - it is already on the priority list, courtesy of @Eagle, so should be coming up sometime in the next few batches!

• Like 1

This was one of the most interesting write-ups there doc! While I can't wait to see your impressions about the God of Wars that follow (I personally welcomed the change of Kratos in GoW2018 but also fully enjoyed his "AREEESS" rage moments in the first games), I can't believe Jedi Fallen Order falls BELOW Lords of the Fallen. I know I didn't expect much despite the glitter in the game but...to be such a chore to play! That's truly shocking not gonna lie xD So I guess Jedi Knight series are still the Star Wars games with the best lightsaber combat to date.

Thus being said...I can't wait to try Mortal Shell now ? especially since it has some challenges that us Soulsborne hardcore fans kept asking for a long while (aka dumbasses who go for challenge runs because they have nothing better to do ?)

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Copanele said:

This was one of the most interesting write-ups there doc! While I can't wait to see your impressions about the God of Wars that follow (I personally welcomed the change of Kratos in GoW2018 but also fully enjoyed his "AREEESS" rage moments in the first games), I can't believe Jedi Fallen Order falls BELOW Lords of the Fallen. I know I didn't expect much despite the glitter in the game but...to be such a chore to play! That's truly shocking not gonna lie xD So I guess Jedi Knight series are still the Star Wars games with the best lightsaber combat to date.

Ho-boy, I tell you - that ranking wasn't done lightly - I had Jedi sitting on my dashboard for 6 month, with me looking forward to it - saving it for when I really had time to sink my teeth into a good game, and man, I haven't been that disappointed in a good long while.

40 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Thus being said...I can't wait to try Mortal Shell now 1f602.png especially since it has some challenges that us Soulsborne hardcore fans kept asking for a long while (aka dumbasses who go for challenge runs because they have nothing better to do 1f605.png)

Haha - I tell you - you will absolutely destroy that Mortal Shell one-hit-kill run. It's a bit of a cheeseball one, since the game allows you to basically run through from boss to boss, and never touch any normal enemies, but still, the boss fights are pretty good fun, and I've heard decent things about this new rogue-like DLC - I'll let you know if I ever get around to it! ?

• Like 1

Holy fuck, Hitman did it!!

What a joy to read about Kratos and his distant descendent in one post. You managed to get me to do the following:

- See about blowing the dust off of my PS2 and copy of God of War

- Purchase Hitman 3 in the current sale, and bump up the first game in completion priority

....I guess that's it. But it's still significant!!

Not that you need a reminder, but you're incapable of posting material that isn't compelling. Outstanding work! The Hitman ranking came out perfectly, I do believe you nailed it. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some contracts in Paris to tend to...

• Like 2

Was considering giving Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order a go at some point, as I have EA play for a brief period. Was on the fence, as I'm not really a big Star Wars guy like yourself. 

Luckily I popped into this thread and looks like it may be best to be avoided based on your review ?

Edited by Glorious Fury
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

I have some contracts in Paris to tend to...

Oh man - if this is your first time going through the trilogy, you got so much great gaming ahead of you, it's outrageous!

Hey, far as I'm concerned, if this thread tips more people towards sampling the trilogy, then it's all worth while!

3 minutes ago, Glorious Fury said:

Was considering giving Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order a go at some point, as I have EA play for a brief period. Was on the fence, as I'm not really a big Star Wars guy like yourself. 

Luckily I popped into this thread and looks like it may be best to be avoided based on your review 1f602.png

Ooft - yeah - I was same boat man - looking forward to it for a while, and then... well... ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Oh man - if this is your first time going through the trilogy, you got so much great gaming ahead of you, it's outrageous!

Hey, far as I'm concerned, if this thread tips more people towards sampling the trilogy, then it's all worth while!

It was one of the first games I played when I got my PS4, and I've just kinda played a bit here and there. Silent Assassin on PS2 was also my first Hitman, and I didn't play another in between so the 2016 rendition feels like the romanticized version I choose to remember of SA (which I've no doubt it absolutely is NOT in reality) so that's a huge plus!

It's about that time though that I finish it off. It's a great game as it is, but knowing that II and III are even better (A Dr. Bloodmoney endorsement is all the confirmation I need) is tremendous incentive to delve deeper!

EDIT: I was reply #666! I feel like I won the superstition sweepstakes???

Edited by YaManSmevz
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

It was one of the first games I played when I got my PS4, and I've just kinda played a bit here and there. Silent Assassin on PS2 was also my first Hitman, and I didn't play another in between so the 2016 rendition feels like the romanticized version I choose to remember of SA (which I've no doubt it absolutely is NOT in reality) so that's a huge plus!

Wow - that's a really interesting perspective that will give you on the current games!

I actually think, for all that Blood Money (and even Absolution) added different pieces to the current formula, The most recent incarnation has it's mort direct lineage in Hitman 2: Slient Assassin in terms of raw mechanics - but it's (of course) such a massive technological and tonal leap forward, so missing those games in between must be like going straight from a Nokia 3310 to an iPhoneX!

12 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

It's about that time though that I finish it off. It's a great game as it is, but knowing that II and III are even better (A Dr. Bloodmoney endorsement is all the confirmation I need) is tremendous incentive to delve deeper!

Oh man - that Berlin level in 3, just you wait. It's something else!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I know what I'll be watching this weekend:

NoClip Documentary - How Arkane Designed Prey(YouTube)

I just saw now that Arkane did Prey and Dishonoured 1/2....

....this studio also did 1 game that I absolutely loved back in the day, Arx Fatalis, one of the best RPG's I've ever played. Nothing but respect for that studio.

One more reason to buy Dishonoured xD (ALSO SHUT UP AUTO CORRECT LET ME PUT THAT U)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Copanele said:

I just saw now that Arkane did Prey and Dishonoured 1/2....

....this studio also did 1 game that I absolutely loved back in the day, Arx Fatalis, one of the best RPG's I've ever played. Nothing but respect for that studio.

One more reason to buy Dishonoured xD (ALSO SHUT UP AUTO CORRECT LET ME PUT THAT U)

Hey - if you were an Arx Fatalis fan, you should definitely check out the NoClip documentary here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h4kdqwdbZZ8

It is great (as per usual for NoClip) and goes not only into Arx, but also some of the projects that were never released, like their Half-Life game, or the one they were making with Spielberg, which looked super cool

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Hey - if you were an Arx Fatalis fan, you should definitely check out the NoClip documentary here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h4kdqwdbZZ8

It is great (as per usual for NoClip) and goes not only into Arx, but also some of the projects that were never released, like their Half-Life game, or the one they were making with Spielberg, which looked super cool

Oh will definitely check, thanks a lot!

I am also interested in the Dark Messiah part. Never managed to finish the game (bad PC at the time) but from the little I played that game was awesome. Nice physics also.

• Like 1

Just finished an assignment that's been looming ominously over me for the past few days, and I can now get to reading some good ol' checklist reviews! Let's check out what you got this time doc! ?

On 16/09/2021 at 4:26 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

Let's just address the elephant in the room right now...
Kratos sucks.

I had a chuckle reading this, I always love seeing what people think of pre-2018 Kratos! You get a different answer every time! ? When it comes to pre-2018 Kratos, people either love him or hate him, and it's paradoxically a genius of writing for such a one-note character to produce such varying responses. I'm inclined to agree that his character is a bit too simple, but it's definitely satisfying to come home from an exhausting day and kick ass with Kratos in a similar vein to watching Schwarzenegger films as you described. In that sense, despite his writing, it's awesome to connect with him on a gameplay level. I do think he has his moments, but the issue is that his more melancholic or meaningful side doesn't see the light too much throughout the original games except for some particular circumstances, but I suppose that was the point. Regardless, that's partly why his GoW 4 character was so awesome to see; he's got majorly different conflicts and he's a matured man. He's got anger, but he's also got to deal with mentoring a son. I can definitely see why he became a de facto mascot of PlayStation like you said.

Audio is excellent across the board - with foley work like gunshots, footfalls and the clunk and clanks of objects on ground (on in skulls) punchy and palpable. 
Music is used extremely well - the general score is of brooding, ominous tones, however, diagetic music in areas like the fashion show is smartly used, and moreover, the general soundtrack score is tied to the gameplay very well. The score elevates in moments of high tension, changes once targets are eliminated and Agent 47 is on his way out, and the stinger music upon watching Agent 47 leave an area is particularly punchy and feeds into the feeling of power that comes from having executed a plan effectively in a really dramatic way.

Foley artists are seriously awesome; the ingenuity it takes to have random objects and use them to produce entirely differently-associated sounds is nothing short of impressive. When I did music class in high school, we watched a couple videos of them, and I remember more recently watching a behind the scenes foley video of I believe Borderlands 3, and the stuff they use to make such varying sounds is so cool to see. In a series like Hitman, sound effects are vital in every field, and it's great to see that they not only succeeded, but that it's complimented by a great musical score as you describe. Awesome stuff to see.

More than any game from either of those developers, Life is Strange does a very good job both of showing the player which choices they made that mattered (the end of each episode shows these choices, along with the percentages of people who made the same, across the globe,) and, crucially, of making every choice feel like it was accounted for properly. Playing the game, making any combination of choices, still feels like a tonally and structurally sound narrative, and characters within that story feel embedded in it. Choices may not always have narrative weight, but they almost always have emotional weight, and emotional consequence. 
As a result, the game experience is utterly reliant on an investment with the characters - one I found it to achieve, and with remarkable speed. Indeed, when playing a Life is Strange game, I find myself agonising over a choice I have to make far more than in a Quantic Dream or a Telltale one - which is no small feat, given that these choices are rarely crucial on any mechanical (or trophy) related side. The games reward the same trophies, regardless of the story outcome, so those difficult choices are purely as a result of emotional investment.

What I love with these types of games is how they manage to include a ton of varying choices that effect the characters, yet still flow in an overall cohesive narrative that still accounts for your choices. I think it's especially important for such games to be transparent with the choices that matter, and seeing that Life is Strange does incorporate this aspect shows a lot of care was placed into it. With narrative structures, characters always must serve a purpose and have importance, and seeing that investing in the characters supplies worthwhile changes is what's so awesome with games such as these. When you mention that you thought more over your choices than a Quantic Dream game, I definitely get what you mean. Take Heavy Rain for instance, usually it's only the most important choices that leave an impact, with lots of in-between actions that just lead to a different momentary scene with no long-term implications. All in all, it's cool to see your take on this genre!

TL;DR:  HITMAN 3 FTW! LET'S GOOOOOOOOO ?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Shrooba said:

, that's partly why his GoW 4 character was so awesome to see; he's got majorly different conflicts and he's a matured man. He's got anger, but he's also got to deal with mentoring a son. I can definitely see why he became a de facto mascot of PlayStation like you said.

Absolutely - you, know, it might seem like a bit of a stretch, analogy-wise, but it reminds me a little of Dolph Lundgren's character in Rocky IV, vs. when he comes back in Creed II

In Rocky IV, that is an action movie through and through, and he is nothing more then a narrative vessel for indestructibility and invincibility, but then, when you see him in Creed II, which is much more grounded drama, you are seeing what a guy who's entire life was about one particular thing has to live with years later, when that is all he has to build a life upon, but is broken down and really forced to chew on that history years after the fact.

It’s not rebooting the history - or the tone of the previous movie - it’s acknowledging it, but just choosing to take a very different, multi-faceted look at the character than it did originally.

Foley artists are seriously awesome; the ingenuity it takes to have random objects and use them to produce entirely differently-associated sounds is nothing short of impressive. When I did music class in high school, we watched a couple videos of them, and I remember more recently watching a behind the scenes foley video of I believe Borderlands 3, and the stuff they use to make such varying sounds is so cool to see. 

Totally - foley artists are often the unsung heroes of games, film and TV - if they do their job well, you never notice, and their artists is only really noticeable if they fail at it!

I remember - back in the hey-day of DVD extras - those Lord of the Rings massive box-sets that came out, with all the dozens of hours of behind-the-sceens stuff on them - one of the most interesting parts wast the foley work - seeing this tiny little group of weirdos, who were like, hidden in a little silo like The Men Who Stare at Goats, just coming up with weird ways of making different sounds to emulate the required foley work - it was fascinating to see!

TL;DR: 

Hey now -have you seen my posts?!

I can't allow TL:DR's here! Where would it end?! ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

On 17/09/2021 at 4:54 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

Lord of the Rings massive box-sets that came out, with all the dozens of hours of behind-the-sceens stuff on them - one of the most interesting parts wast the foley work - seeing this tiny little group of weirdos, who were like, hidden in a little silo 

Bit harsh don't you think ?.... If not a little too accurate haha. Sometimes they leave the window open for us so we don't overheat  - and occasionally they even leave a nice trough for us to drink out of and mix our rusks in! FOLEY ARTISTS FOR JUSTICE haha! They totally don't play this to us on a loop either ?

I finally managed to set plenty of time aside to read through your current batch. My bad for taking a while.

Congratulations on that hitman trilogy review. That was fantastic, as these quite often are.  As a fellow Hitman enthusiast from all the way back to Silent Assassin myself, I think you did a wonderful job of getting across how much the series has mechanically evolved. It's almost staggering to think about. It's good to see someone that likes Haven Island, I'm not the biggest lover myself, but I can respect why you like it, I also like what it adds to the narrative for what it's worth. I just wish it was less flat.......Well  flat and the fact that you have to see that gross man naked, that's something I don't look forward to seeing with PS5 graphics. 

Great - now I've got to fight the urge even harder not to pick up a PS5 if I can, that's the only thing holding me back from playing Hitman 3 is the fact I know there's a superior version I should be playing instead. Nice to see Hitman 3 on the top of the mountain though - it seems doubtful that will get dethroned any time soon, but who knows.

Very enjoyable read on God of War as well - that version of Kratos is such a fanny, well in actual fact he's the other word for that, the one that gets censored on here. Yep - he's a massive one of those...... A big bald stupid expletive. Yet as you pointed out, it doesn't stop those games being incredibly fun to play.

I've personally yet to touch the latest one, but I'm curious to see what nuance they add to Kratos as a character, from what some of my friends have told me, people have more or less overblown that aspect of the new one anyway.  But I guess I'll have to find that out for myself.

I'm pretty gutted to read that about Jedi Fallen Order. Looks like I'll stick to having Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy installed on my console if I want a satisfying Star Wars experience.

I very much enjoyed your take on Life is Strange as well. I don't want to say anything too much in case I tread too much into spoiler territory, but I very much enjoyed reading that.  Out of curiosity, what about that game reminded you of Fish Tank? Assuming we aren't both thinking of a different Fish Tank. I'm thinking of the Michael Fassbender/ Katie Jarvis one.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 3