DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

8 hours ago, grayhammmer said:

I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but is there a reason Rogue Legacy isn't getting analyzed this week despite my request?

When someone puts in a request, I add that game to a little secondary list, and highlight it with their name in my master table.

When I then go through to pick a batch, I try to make sure I pick at least a couple of the priority ones to include - in particular the ones that have been highlighted longer (ie. requested earlier,) - but I tend to do a maximum of 3 requests in a batch.

That's partly to keep the requests spread out, so there are always some to include, (it's random, but requests tend to come in at about 3 per batch when averaged out,) but also partly because the requests people make tend to be the games that they like, and are therefore likely to be the 'better', meatier games, with more to write about.

I like to keep a steady clip of the less popular / smaller games coming too, so I don't end up in a situation where every 'interesting' game has been done already, and this list becomes just whole batches of smaller games that no one is likely to request, and ends up being less interesting in the back half.

When selecting this batch, there were 6 requested games highlighted - including Rogue Legacy - but that one is the most recent request, so i passed over it, in favour of some that have been sitting outstanding for a while. (For what it's worth - there are only 3 on there now, so it is likely to be picked up in the next one!)

I do try to get to all requests in a reasonable time, but I never guarantee they will be done immediately, as this is still personal writing. I have to feel I am in the best place to give the game my full attention at the time, so they are still subject to my whims of the time to some extent I'm afraid!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

I look forward to your discussion of Kratos' family feud in GoW III! ?
The Sly games have always been something pretty cool; I've never gotten into the series but the character designs are quite iconic. It's also surprising to see Bejeweled on PlayStation, I didn't even know that was a thing! I remember playing it ages ago, it was a neat puzzle game. What a blast from the past to see it came out in 2009 on PS3! That was a good year.

• Like 1

I feel like we're about to embark on a journey with the Sly 2 review, bois ?. 

I know you wrote a rant post about it years ago. And I know you said your opinion has changed slightly since then, so I'm interested to read your detailed thoughts now.

(I just wrote a lengthy post, then loaded the previous page by mistake, then came back, and only a small part of my text was restored. Fuck my life. ? Going to try to speedrun writing this post again. Here we go.)

I haven't been visiting this thread for a while, so I went back to where I last stopped. That was batch 22 with the reviews of R&C3, PoP: The Forgotten Sands, and The Witness.

Ratchet 3 is still my favourite game in the series, even after playing A Crack In Time, which is regarded by many as the best one. R&C3 was also my first introduction to Ratchet, so there's some nostalgia involved. Nevertheless, I still think it's the strongest in many ways. Dr Nefarious is the most iconic Ratchet villain, without a doubt. He felt powerful and menacing, but also dorky. The final boss fight against him was more memorable than Chairman Drek and Protopet + Quark. The puzzles were memorable too. The ones with the beam reflecting mechanic were cool. The spherical Moon level was awesome. It wasn't the first time this kind of stage appeared in the series, but this level was the coolest one by far. It was like something out of Super Mario Galaxy before it existed. Who knows, maybe Mario devs were inspired by Ratchet ?. I thought the jokes were very good too. I still remember the Courtney Gears music video and other moments.

I also wanted to mention Starship Phoenix. I think it was a cool addition to the series. It's similar to Normandy from Mass Effect. I like these locations in games where you can go back to between your adventures and chill. You come back from the mission, check for new weapons and test them, then go to captain's bridge and listen to your in-game friends' dialogue, then go to your cozy room and play the new vid-comic. Another example of similar locations was Mother Base in MGS: Peace Walker and The Phantom Pain. That place also felt like home in those games.

I actually played R&C3's local split-screen multiplayer mode on my friend's PS2 back in the day. It was kind of fun, but... empty, I guess. You'd run around a pretty big map, capture some points, kill some robots, and occasionally confront your friend. It's probably more fun to play in a 4 player group with more controllers or via online connection. But from what I can tell, that multiplayer mode was not very well-realized. The PS1-PS2 era games rarely had any good multiplayer experiences. Halo must've been the exception.

Don't have much to say about The Forgotten Sands except that the name is fitting. I didn't care much about that game before, and I care even less after reading that post.

The Witness always looked interesting. It was praised across the board when it came out, but many reviewers failed to express what was so special about it. I remember hearing about the "AHA' or "EURECA" moments, and how satisfying they were. But you can say this in regards to almost any good puzzle game. Now I see that The Witness does much more. I also remember seeing some clips from the game (they are probably spoilery in some way) maybe a year ago. They guy was finding all these hidden patterns in the environment itself he previously didn't know about, and they were interactable. Must be cool to experience this first hand.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Slava said:

I feel like we're about to embark on a journey with the Sly 2 review, bois 1f601.png

I know you wrote a rant post about it years ago. And I know you said your opinion has changed slightly since then, so I'm interested to read your detailed thoughts now.

Reveal hidden contents

I just wrote a lengthy post, then loaded the previous page by mistake, then came back, and only a small part of my text was restored. Fuck my life. 1f643.png Going to try to speedrun writing this post again. Here we go.

Haha - damned spoiler tags not working means I can't open this up... but I know exactly which thread you are referring to!

To be honest, that was one of those rants that I try to avoid doing now - done in the middle of (or very shortly after finishing) a game, and still full of vitriol, piss and vinegar! I must admit, while my review of Sly II will undoubtedly be less pointed than I was n that rant - I'm not sure it will be much more positive... I still can't really get on with a lot of the changes they made!

I haven't been visiting this thread for a while, so I went back to where I last stopped. That was batch 22 with the reviews of R&C3, PoP: The Forgotten Sands, and The Witness.

Ratchet 3 is still my favourite game in the series, even after playing A Crack In Time, which is regarded by many as the best one. R&C3 was also my first introduction to Ratchet, so there's some nostalgia involved. Nevertheless, I still think it's the strongest in many ways. Dr Nefarious is the most iconic Ratchet villain, without a doubt. He felt powerful and menacing, but also dorky. The final boss fight against him was more memorable than Chairman Drek and Protopet + Quark. The puzzles were memorable too. The ones with the beam reflecting mechanic were cool. The spherical Moon level was awesome. It wasn't the first time this kind of stage appeared in the series, but this level was the coolest one by far. It was like something out of Super Mario Galaxy before it existed. Who knows, maybe Mario devs were inspired by Ratchet 1f601.png. I thought the jokes were very good too. I still remember the Courtney Gears music video and other moments.

I also wanted to mention Starship Phoenix. I think it was a cool addition to the series. It's similar to Normandy from Mass Effect. I like these locations in games where you can go back to between your adventures and chill. You come back from the mission, check for new weapons and test them, then go to captain's bridge and listen to your in-game friends' dialogue, then go to your cozy room and play the new vid-comic. Another example of similar locations was Mother Base in MGS: Peace Walker and The Phantom Pain. That place also felt like home in those games.

I actually played R&C3's local split-screen multiplayer mode on my friend's PS2 back in the day. It was kind of fun, but... empty, I guess. You'd run around a pretty big map, capture some points, kill some robots, and occasionally confront your friend. It's probably more fun to play in a 4 player group with more controllers or via online connection. But from what I can tell, that multiplayer mode was not very well-realized. The PS1-PS2 era games rarely had any good multiplayer experiences. Halo must've been the exception.

Absolutely - I was a fan of R&C3 as well - to be honest, the difference between 2 and 3 is fairly slim, but I do tend to still consider 2 to be my favourite of the ones so far, though there is a fairly big gap in my knowledge. I have still not played any of the "future games" - Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, A Crack in Time or Into the Nexus - I basically went straight from R&C3 to All 4 One, Full Frontal Assault, and then the latest ones, but of those, I just love Going Commando so much!

Don't have much to say about The Forgotten Sands except that the name is fitting. I didn't care much about that game before, and I care even less after reading that post.

? Fair play - to be honest, I might be more inclined than most to dislike it, as I was really happy with the reboot, and wanted more of that, but even for those who didn't care much for the reboot, Forgotten Sands doesn't seem to be anyones favourite really!

The Witness always looked interesting. It was praised across the board when it came out, but many reviewers failed to express what was so special about it. I remember hearing about the "AHA' or "EURECA" moments, and how satisfying they were. But you can say this in regards to almost any good puzzle game. Now I see that The Witness does much more. I also remember seeing some clips from the game (they are probably spoilery in some way) maybe a year ago. They guy was finding all these hidden patterns in the environment itself he previously didn't know about, and they were interactable. Must be cool to experience this first hand.

I do wonder sometimes, if some reviewers were even aware of those secrets at the time of release. 

I'm not one of those "Meh, reviewers know nothing" kind of guys - or worse, the conspiracy nuts who think every reviewer is getting paid for their scores (I simply don't believe that they would risk their reputation and jobs for a small payout, given that game devs can get that kind of thing from "YouTube Streamers" for a tenth of the cost, and none of the hassle) and I think most reviewers are doing a good job under difficult circumstances - it's not easy to finish a game on a deadline, before there is any help available in the form of guides etc...

...but with a game like The Witness, where you can feel like you "finished" it, without ever realising there are layers of depth beneath the surface, it would be totally understandable if they missed it. I mean, if you don't happen to stumble across those depths, it still feels like a very long and smart game - and without finding those, it would still rate pretty highly.

With those though? It makes it a must in my book!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Haha - damned spoiler tags not working means I can't open this up.

I just took a moment there to moan about the fact that I reloaded the page by mistake, and it didn't save my text, so I had to write the post twice ?. I'll remove the spoiler box.

I do wonder sometimes, if some reviewers were even aware of those secrets at the time of release. 

(...) it's not easy to finish a game on a deadline, before there is any help available in the form of guides etc...

...but with a game like The Witness, where you can feel like you "finished" it, without ever realising there are layers of depth beneath the surface, it would be totally understandable if they missed it. I mean, if you don't happen to stumble across those depths, it still feels like a very long and smart game - and without finding those, it would still rate pretty highly.

With those though? It makes it a must in my book!

That might've been the case with the reviews I saw. I might've generalized a little too much, because there are obviously many more reviews out there that I didn't see. They might've done a better job, or had more time with the game.

I'm not one of those "Meh, reviewers know nothing" kind of guys - or worse, the conspiracy nuts who think every reviewer is getting paid for their scores (I simply don't believe that they would risk their reputation and jobs for a small payout, given that game devs can get that kind of thing from "YouTube Streamers" for a tenth of the cost, and none of the hassle) and I think most reviewers are doing a good job under difficult circumstances

What's interesting about that "paid reviews" argument is the lack of examples. SURELY, if the paid professional reviews were such a common thing, we would hear about them once in a while, right? The Internet would be all over them, just like it was with that IGN plagiarism fiasco. Yet, I've only heard of one such case, and I don't think it was even a big site. The influence from game publishers on reviews comes from the fact that if your reviews are too negative, they might not send you a collector's edition next time, or not invite you to a cool pre-release event. How strong the influence is - that works by case by case basis. But it's certainly not the same thing as paid reviews.

I think the critics do their job as well as they can, and share their honest opinions just like any other person would. They just have more experince writing, get the games earlier, and get paid for their work.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I basically went straight from R&C3 to All 4 One, Full Frontal Assault, and then the latest ones, but of those, I just love Going Commando so much!

Wow - that must have been quite the culture shock when you leapt into those two, considering how different they both are to R&C 3.... I like to think of All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault as Ratchet and Clanks glue sniffing phase. ?

45 minutes ago, Slava said:

I just took a moment there to moan about the fact that I reloaded the page by mistake, and it didn't save my text, so I had to write the post twice ?. I'll remove the spoiler box.

That used to happen to me far too often.

To the point where if I'm writing anything long anymore like a review or sometimes a really long reply to multiple people. then if I'm near my PC I'll just throw it in a word document and paste it in - I think I lost about an hour and a half's progress on a review of Tomb Raider: Underworld because of reloading the page not saving my text, you live and learn I guess ?.

• Like 2

Just now, rjkclarke said:

Wow - that must have been quite the culture shock when you leapt into those two, considering how different they both are to R&C 3.... I like to think of All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault as Ratchet and Clanks glue sniffing phase. 1f602.png

You know - I’m totally aware of how lesser those two entries are… BUT… co-op saves the day on both for me!

The only reason I even looked twice at those, was that MsBloodmoney had expressed an interest when I was playing the trilogy, but as with a lot of games, she wasn’t really for just playing the single player ones herself, so when I saw a coop option, I jumped at it!

Actually, All-4-One was kinda awesome as a 2player game - yeah, its a million miles from ‘true ratchet’, but not actually bad… though I can imagine it being a hell of a let down as a single player game!

Ironically, she ended up loving Full Frontal Assault, even more than All-4-One  as she just dug the combat more than the story (which helped, since it barely had one!) Personally, I wasn’t so hot on that one, but the osmosis of enjoyment did spill over enough to make it a fine experience!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

You know - I’m totally aware of how lesser those two entries are… BUT… co-op saves the day on both for me!

The only reason I even looked twice at those, was that MsBloodmoney had expressed an interest when I was playing the trilogy, but as with a lot of games, she wasn’t really for just playing the single player ones herself, so when I saw a coop option, I jumped at it!

Actually, All-4-One was kinda awesome as a 2player game - yeah, its a million miles from ‘true ratchet’, but not actually bad… though I can imagine it being a hell of a let down as a single player game!

Ironically, she ended up loving Full Frontal Assault, even more than All-4-One  as she just dug the combat more than the story (which helped, since it barely had one!)

I still think there's plenty to like in them - I'm definitely not one to trash them that's for sure..... I just think they're quite unusual hence the glue sniffing comment ?

They're quite good titles those future trilogy games - the story is,well it's ridiculous to be honest, and it takes itself far too seriously for it's own good. But they are still pretty fun times I'd say, Crack in Time is especially good considering it's a PS3 game. It really wouldn't look or feel out of place on a PS4 in my opinion.

I doubt you could say either of All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault  are a true let down as single player experiences, but some folks can go a little overboard when they really don't like something - what little story Full Frontal Assault has - at least does have a pretty funny pay off.

I could definitely see why All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault would be a lot of fun in Co-Op. I played All 4 One in co-op a little bit myself and it definitely helped make it a more enjoyable time.... All 4 One especially It's got that relaxing switch off your brain quality to it, that makes it quite easy to just chill and enjoy your time alongside someone doing the same thing. That makes perfect sense why you've got plenty of positives for both of them. 

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

They're quite good titles those future trilogy games - the story is,well it's ridiculous to be honest, and it takes itself far too seriously for it's own good. But they are still pretty fun times I'd say, Crack in Time is especially good considering it's a PS3 game. It really wouldn't look or feel out of place on a PS4 in my opinion.

You know - I really have no excuse at all for not having played those ones - I'm pretty sure I have a digital copy of Into the Nexus on my dusty PS3, and I'm almost certain I've had a disc copy of A Crack in Time lying somewhere in my house since Moses was in short-pants...

....the only thing that has stopped me is the true final boss in life - the limited number of hours in the day!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

You know - I really have no excuse at all for not having played those ones - I'm pretty sure I have a digital copy of Into the Nexus on my dusty PS3, and I'm almost certain I've had a disc copy of A Crack in Time lying somewhere in my house since Moses was in short-pants...

....the only thing that has stopped me is the true final boss in life - the limited number of hours in the day!

That is indeed the true final boss..... I'm with you on that one mate!

Just a little nudge-nudge though

L067bc0.png

Crack in Time has Orange in its thumbnail.

Also, this is totally unrelated - but why does Ratchet look like he's wearing his Mum's lipstick in that picture?

Lde7037.png

Into the Nexus has Pink in its thumbnail too.

So if you were stuck for games to play during the Trophies to Fight Cancer Event, then these are two options if you end up scratching around for things to play.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

That is indeed the true final boss..... I'm with you on that one mate!

Just a little nudge-nudge though

Into the Nexus has Pink in its thumbnail too.

So if you were stuck for games to play during the Trophies to Fight Cancer Event, then these are two options if you end up scratching around for things to play.

Interesting... that would mean that, aside from Deadlocked, I'd have one of every trophy enabled Ratchet game under my belt...

...it's getting tempting... ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Interesting... that would mean that, aside from Deadlocked, I'd have one of every trophy enabled Ratchet game under my belt...

...it's getting tempting... 

Deadlocked or I guess Gladiator as it'd be for us  -  has orange in it's thumbnail too - and I believe it comes free with one of the future trilogy games that doesn't have trophies. I quite enjoyed that one for what it is.

I'm not really trying to influence your decision one way or the other, but it's always nice to have every game in a series isn't it... Which reminds me I totally need to get God of War (2018) it's on offer right now for a really decent price too.  That one is a pretty big gaping hole in my own list

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

I'm not really trying to influence your decision one way or the other, but it's always nice to have every game in a series isn't it... Which reminds me I totally need to get God of War (2018) it's on offer right now for a really decent price too.  That one is a pretty big gaping hole in my own list

not for nothing - but if you happen to be planning on getting a PS5 anytime soon, God of War (2018) is part of the free games on PS+ that you get access to by simply having a PS5 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

not for nothing - but if you happen to be planning on getting a PS5 anytime soon, God of War (2018) is part of the free games on PS+ that you get access to by simply having a PS5 

As tempting as that is - and it is believe me, I also feel like I've got to buy a new TV to really get the most out of a PS5.... It's another reason I've not quite bitten the bullet yet. So I might just jump on the digital edition of God of War for like £6.50-ish which is what it is right now - I think I own most of the PS+ collection that comes with the PS5 already, I'm glad it exists though - it's a great idea for those that wouldn't have owned any previous PS consoles before, or would be switching over from the Xbox or something similar

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

L067bc0.png

Also, this is totally unrelated - but why does Ratchet look like he's wearing his Mum's lipstick in that picture?.

That is spot on.

This is Mrs. Ratchet stopping at the bar for a quick glass of wine before picking up the kids from soccer practice, while baby Clank patiently waits back in the car seat.

17 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Obscenely well put, Doc!

• Like 2

So, I will try to read the batch over the weekend, because my good sir, this is again a lot to take in :D  

But obviously, I had to jump straight into the FF7 review and, as usual, you delivered one hell of a write-up!

The contrast in the visuals in the game are indeed striking, but I had never thought about Cloud and Sephiroth being as iconic as they are DESPITE them only being agglomerations of colorful (in Cloud's case, at least) pixels. 

In my own review of FF7R I actually mentioned how Barret had always been a "meh" character for me... some brown-green shapeless cube that I didn't particularly care about, but how he quickly  became my favorite character due to how he was portrayed in the Remake. But somehow, Cloud and Sephiroth didn't require awesome voice-acting and stylish, faithful visuals to have a lasting impact not only on me, but on thousands of gamers back then. Interesting point! 

Otherwise, I really enjoyed your take on the Amnesia-topic and how FF7 handles this compared to other games. Indeed, it is a very interesting, very confusing (at first) approach. It seems like the Remake is about to complicate things even further ?

I'll get to the rest of the batch soon :) I'm parcitularly interested in GoW III... It was my first platinum ever! (Came with the PS4 in a Bundle :P)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

The contrast in the visuals in the game are indeed striking, but I had never thought about Cloud and Sephiroth being as iconic as they are DESPITE them only being agglomerations of colorful (in Cloud's case, at least) pixels. 

In my own review of FF7R I actually mentioned how Barret had always been a "meh" character for me... some brown-green shapeless cube that I didn't particularly care about, but how he quickly  became my favorite character due to how he was portrayed in the Remake.

Hey - me too! 

It’s actually funny how the remake shifted my favourite characters around - I’m absolutely in the same boat with Barrett! I thought he was a bit of a lesser character in the original too - the muscle and not much more, but really got a chance to shine in the new one. The voice actor does a hell of a job helping with that in the Remake too!

Actually, it did more than that for me - I was always a Tifa guy in the Aireth/Tifa debate, but the remake actually made me switch sides on that too - Tifa is just as awesome as ever, but Aireth gets to be more than pure and good in the remake, she also gets to be funny, and a litte sarcastic, which really humanises her - and makes her a lot more fun to have around, as opposed to just a ‘symbol of goodness’ to be protected.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Arcesius said:

In my own review of FF7R I actually mentioned how Barret had always been a "meh" character for me... some brown-green shapeless cube that I didn't particularly care about, but how he quickly  became my favorite character due to how he was portrayed in the Remake.

Shi't!

I'm probably alone on this, but I always liked Barret. I liked having such a wild, profane hothead to contrast with the rest, but agreed that his character was developed tenfold for the remake.

10 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

results.jpg

1f4c9.png1f913.png NEW SCIENTIFIC RESULTS ARE IN! 1f913.png1f4c8.png

I don't know how you keep getting better at this, dude.

Spectacular write-up on VII - I have a very similar experience with it. I remember seeing it and thinking "wow, this whole Playstation thing is takin off, huh? Look at that game, it looks great... wait, that's Final Fantasy??"

"Yeah bro. You need a memory card to play it, though."

"....I don't understand what you're saying."

The ONLY blemish to my experience with VII is that some dickhead motherfucker told me all about Aeris before I got there, and it was utterly ruined for me.

Still though, phenomenal game, and one that has stuck like glue with me (hell, a lot of us) through the years. Though I do agree that VI is the goat... a remake of that feels even more necessary now! Kefka makes Sephiroth look like a sissy momma's boy!

Also, props to your Usual Suspects reference, that was a perfect analogy. A great example of a film with a huge twist but isn't overly reliant on it (yeah you, Sixth Sense!)!

I actually missed the third God of War, but I might pick that up now before hitting up the new(er) one. Your reviews made me a bit reminiscent of playing the first two back in the day!

• Like 3

Hah that Bejeweled 2  review was so awesome xD it really ain't a game for Playstation though!

That one reminds me of a game that I've played, Puzzle Quest Challenge of the Warlords. It is basically Bejeweled in the Warlords setting (just imagine high fantasy if you never played the strategy games). It has story, RPG elements and...well...3 of a kind jewels to mix and mash. For the fans of the genre I can't recommend that game enough!

Also, also, ALSO (and sorry if I will underline a few paragraphs)

On 10/8/2021 at 0:49 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

Art design is still on par with the previous games...

Audio remains great, the musical themes of the series are present, and reworked as required, with a reinvigoration of a thumping, rhythmic, dynamic quality befitting the driving pace of the gameplay. Sound design in general has always been tip-top in God of War games, and here, that streak does not falter one bit.

Yes, the narrative of God of War III is exciting - tremendously so at times. However, its place as the finale of a trilogy does mean it, to some extents, boxed in. Where God of War II was able to take its story in wild directions, God of War II has to be the payoff to an already established set-up. It does this fairly well, but there is little that happens that is truly interesting in a narrative sense - its flair has to be in terms of execution, and on that front, the real flaw of the entire trilogy comes to the forefront - Kratos himself.

---

Thank goodness for the Reboot...

You can't imagine how happy I am that I am not the only one who feels this way. Gameplay wise, yes, GoW 3 is a technical masterpiece, even by today's standards, holy damn only games like DMC5 kicks God of War 3 back. But my god Kratos is such an insufferable piece of shit that I legit did not enjoy the final part. Plus...the Pandora insert (the girl, not the stupid box)...am I supposed to believe that Kratos, after murdering every last Greek breathing and using that Poseidon's maiden as a literal door stopper, would suddenly CARE about some random ass girl? Really? Kratos? My man has turned 98% of the Greek world into tzatziki sauce by now, what the actual hell was that xD

Like my god it was such a BAD write-up I didn't even feel the energy to play the remastered GoW III on PS4 anymore.

Thank goodness for the Reboot indeed. God of War 4 with the old Kratos would have been too much for me. But like this, we got quite the good character development!

Also yeah my exact experience with Raji. Amazing scenery, flawed combat. I actually ended up doing the most OP Prince of Persia Sands of Time wall bounce combos in order to quickly clean the rooms. At least the studio shows promise, waiting for their next projects!

• Like 2

On 09/10/2021 at 9:07 PM, Copanele said:

Hah that Bejeweled 2  review was so awesome xD it really ain't a game for Playstation though!

That one reminds me of a game that I've played, Puzzle Quest Challenge of the Warlords. It is basically Bejeweled in the Warlords setting (just imagine high fantasy if you never played the strategy games). It has story, RPG elements and...well...3 of a kind jewels to mix and mash. For the fans of the genre I can't recommend that game enough!

That's interesting - I have never even heard of Puzzle Quest Challenge of the Warlords,  but looked it up, and it looks cool as hell!

I wondered why I couldn't recall it, but sure enough -  it looks like it was a 2007 release, which makes sense (I got sober in 2008, so that was right in the thick of me having checked out of games, (and most of life in general) ?

Also, also, ALSO (and sorry if I will underline a few paragraphs)

You can't imagine how happy I am that I am not the only one who feels this way. Gameplay wise, yes, GoW 3 is a technical masterpiece, even by today's standards, holy damn only games like DMC5 kicks God of War 3 back. But my god Kratos is such an insufferable piece of shit that I legit did not enjoy the final part. Plus...the Pandora insert (the girl, not the stupid box)...am I supposed to believe that Kratos, after murdering every last Greek breathing and using that Poseidon's maiden as a literal door stopper, would suddenly CARE about some random ass girl? Really? Kratos? My man has turned 98% of the Greek world into tzatziki sauce by now, what the actual hell was that xD

Like my god it was such a BAD write-up I didn't even feel the energy to play the remastered GoW III on PS4 anymore.

Thank goodness for the Reboot indeed. God of War 4 with the old Kratos would have been too much for me. But like this, we got quite the good character development!

You're not wrong there - I can't imagine how the OG Kratos would possibly have worked in 2018 - my guess is any God of War game trying to just drag the old angry douche-Kratos out of retirement for one last shouty hurrah would probably have ended up getting Duke Nukem Forever type reviews and falling over itself. That kind of Edge-Lord Kratos was fine in it's day, but really, it is such a relic of an era at this point, that the only way they could bring that back, would be to do some kind of "Attitude Era Gaming Expendables" - have a team-up game with old Kratos, Duke Nukem, PoP:WW Emo-Prince, Jak II Jak etc. and have them invade modern games, shouting about how everyone has gone soft... as all the NPCs roll their eyes and laugh at them. ?

They could be driven around by Sweet Tooth in his Ice Cream truck!

Also yeah my exact experience with Raji. Amazing scenery, flawed combat. I actually ended up doing the most OP Prince of Persia Sands of Time wall bounce combos in order to quickly clean the rooms. At least the studio shows promise, waiting for their next projects!

Oh yeah - for sure, more Indian Mythology in games please - it's super cool and interesting to see - just with a bit more finesse on the controls, if possible!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

You're not wrong there - I can't imagine how the OG Kratos would possibly have worked in 2018 - my guess is any God of War game trying to just drag the old angry douche-Kratos out of retirement for one last shouty hurrah would probably have ended up getting Duke Nukem Forever type reviews and falling over itself. That kind of Edge-Lord Kratos was fine in it's day, but really, it is such a relic of an era at this point, that the only way they could bring that back, would be to do some kind of "Attitude Era Gaming Expendables" - have a team-up game with old Kratos, Duke Nukem, PoP:WW Emo-Prince, Jak II Jak etc. and have them invade modern games, shouting about how everyone has gone soft... as all the NPCs roll their eyes and laugh at them. 1f602.png

They could be driven around by Sweet Tooth in his Ice Cream truck!

Will be interesting to see in 20 years what about the current gaming landscape will be the cringe relic of the past. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

Will be interesting to see in 20 years what about the current gaming landscape will be the cringe relic of the past. 

It's a good question!

I'd bet that back in the Monster-Energy and Jackass era, we would never have predicted that it was the edge-lord stuff that would age the poorest - at the time, that just felt like "videogames are for grown ups now, y'all!" and revelling in the fact that Joe Lieberman had failed.

It could end up wrapping around and coming back to the same of course - I mean, to some extent, that's what happened with movies. The 80s action stuff went out of vogue, when everything went full irony, but I think nowadays, stuff like John Wick/ Atomic Blonde/ Nobody is basically the revival of that unironic, pure action stuff again - it's just readapted to the current mood, and made itself successful and awesome again!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I'd bet that back in the Monster Energy and Jackass era, we would never have predicted that it was the edgelord stuff that would age the poorest - at the time, that just felt like "videogames are for grown ups now, y'all!" and revelling in the fact that Joe Lieberman had failed.

It could end up wrapping around and coming back to the same thing, of course - I mean, to some extent, that's what happened with movies. The 80s action stuff went out of vogue when everything went full irony, but I think, nowadays, stuff like John Wick/Atomic Blonde/Nobody is basically the revival of that unironic, pure action stuff - it's just readapted to the current mood, and made itself successful and awesome again!

Hey, don't diss Jackass. That was an awesome game - basically Mario Party, but on steroids (and copious amounts of poop). :P

Jokes aside, we're nearly reaching the reboot... really curious to see how science will judge the game. ? I like the old games, but this revival just brought such a level of mechanical and story depth to the series that makes them pale in hindsight... at least, in my humble opinion. Let's see if science agrees (although I'd say it's basically guaranteed, from what I've gathered thus far).

• Like 2

@DrBloodmoneyJust wanted to say that was a really interesting and detailed review of FFVII. Certainly agreed with a lot of it, including the graphics of the characters etc lol Definitely well worth waiting for, and nice to see it nestled in the top 10! Hoping it'll stay that way! lol

Also I think for most fans of Final Fantasy, there are 3 games that seem to come up as being regarded as the best in the franchise - VI, VII and X. If they ever released the new Pixel Remasters of FF I-VI on Playstation with platinums for them all, then I'd be intrigued to see how high up VI went in your list.

• Like 2