DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

8 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

:hidden::hidden:AWARDS SEASON UPDATE:hidden::hidden:

Due to my lack of consideration for my own availability over the holiday period, (yes, contrary to general opinion, I do, on occasion, leave the house!)

Truly a shocking scientific discovery, you getting out of the lab xD 

Preparing the Irish Coffee (while removing the coffee) in anticipation for the Scientific awards :D Calendar be damned!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Truly a shocking scientific discovery, you getting out of the lab xD 

Preparing the Irish Coffee (while removing the coffee) in anticipation for the Scientific awards :D Calendar be damned!

haha, well, being that I'm in recovery, it's an "Irish coffee (removing the Irish)", I'm afraid! ?

• Like 3

On 14/12/2021 at 0:12 PM, GonzoWARgasm said:

Doc, I am so moist for these awards that I need not just one, but TWO towels 1f440.png

Well, you can retire those towels my friend - Due to potential scheduling issues on Monday - and me being pretty convinced now that no more games will be completed before the deadline - 

I don't see any reason not to put the Awards up later today...

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

Doc, I wanted to say something:

Thanks for putting in such a considerable effort this year with this checklist. I loved it. I'm a fan of your sense of humour ("gaze upon the wonder of the glorious wall of eligibility?" "snicker at the picket fence of ineligibility?" I mean come on, dude), and your taste in games is just in the Goldilocks spot for me of matching with just enough of my own tastes but giving me a healthy dose of humility with other things.

I literally did sit down with a bevvy just now and I read this as if it was an end of season TV special or a GOTY wrap-up from a key YouTuber, and I wanted you to know that as you go into the happy Christmas season (as I assume you'll cool down on this site for a few weeks and pick back up again in the new year)...

Regarding backlogs: ou contraire. You have added WAY TOO MUCH to my backlog... Dishonored 1 and 2, Prey, Superliminal, ALL FOUR Supergiant games, Driver: San Francisco, Operation Tango, Hitman 3, Mark of the Ninja... and now I think I'll have to concede Returnal, Observation and Invisible Inc as well despite warming up to them at an admittedly slower pace... So... thanks, dick, and enjoy yourself this holiday season.

❤️

12374822-10153861154403987-6752971452025161641-o.jpg

• Like 4

My god what a fantastic way to end the year in terms of gaming. Loved all the takes, all the cakes and all the partakes there Doc xD and I can say that I pretty much agree with EVERYTHING that you wrote there. Not half, not 99.9999 and a cookie %, but everything. It's odd, but yeah, I read the entire thing from start to finish, and I will read it again tomorrow, because I tend to read good stuff 3 or 4 times. I am an adult I do what I want with my time xD 

ANYWAY

I agree even with THIS:

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

GOOD-SILVER.jpgLeb6b0f.png

2ND RUNNER UP: Shadow of the Colossus Remake
(Reviewed in BATCH 10)

Taking a game that came out long before the tech was able to deal with it -and that had already had a 'soft' remaster - and doing a full-blown remake, Bluepoint finally realise the vision that Team Ico had all those years ago. 

An acquired taste, certainly, but for someone like myself who always knew the unique tone and pacing of Shadow of the Colossus was something special, finally seeing it realise it's potential, and shine bright, without having to squint to see the majesty is something truly wonderful. 

The 3RD best game S-Ranked in 2021 is also the current 18th best game of all time on the Scientific Ranking, and deservedly so!

... take THAT, @Copanele!

If it was eligible (sadly I platinumed it in 2020 so it won't count for my upcoming list), I would also add it as my 3rd ...

....3rd worst game I ever played in 2021 ? Sorry, I love horses, but I still wish Agro would be turned into salami.

Doesn't meant I don't recognize your acquired taste here xD it's just that if I see one more failed grab, one more stupid horse turn, I might reformat my PS4 drive. With a hammer.

NOPE-GOLD.jpgL137c94.png

1ST RUNNER UP: Ghost of Tsushima

Yes, I know, I know - we all love Hot Takes...
...but hopefully y'all know by now -  I'm not really a 'hot-take' guy. 
I don't go around deliberately disliking games, or being inflammatory about games other people like, just to be different or contrarian. If anything, the opposite is true - I'm the guy who likes games too much, and try to find the good in everything... often to a fault!

There's clearly a great game in Ghost of Tsushima - that's obvious from the general consensus, and far be it from me to argue otherwise, having played so little of it. 

However, again, it comes down to controls. The Right-Hand bias of the camera made every fight and bit of platforming/ stealth feel lop-sided and wrong, and I felt like for the 45 minutes I played, I was adjusting the camera, fighting against the default every 3 seconds. The world felt out of frame, and I just couldn't get the camera to work for me.

Ghost of Tsushima is the first case of a game I can think of, where a simple patch to enable swapping camera bias from one shoulder to the other would probably fix my entire issue with it...
...but until they do, it just isn't a game I am willing to commit to the kind of duration it requires, knowing that I will be fighting the camera default every step of the way!

This one surprised me big time however, but not from the reason you would expect.

It is also my main Nope of the entire year.

I played Ghost of Tsushima at a friend's house, I was previously decided to buy it and experience this Japanese Odyssey for myself. He loaded up the game and went to buy some stuff to eat. I pressed some buttons, marveled at the graphics, walked around, did some fights...

...and I fell asleep. I did have my coffee and my 8 hours beauty sleep in the night prior, but the game bored me this much that I instantly fell asleep.

Therefore, I am surprised and mad amused that this game is also a Nope for you xD what were the odds!

P.S. Before others ask, I think the online is the best part of the game. Played a couple matches and it was a blast...when the camera worked as I wanted. Sorry, this ain't a game for me.

copanele added:
L1633eb.png

Slain: Back From Hell

I was at first surprised that I got tagged here xD but then I saw the game and .... yep, always a pleasure to spread the good word of Metal! May the Horned lords be ever merciful in your no-death runs and never forget to headbang!

On my side however, I might hold you responsible for adding so many games to my shopping cart. Not that I regret it, but hell, if I don't blame you, I'll blame myself and I don't want that ?

Great list, love the Hitman pictures and here's to an even more glorious 2022  gaming!

• Like 3

*Applause* Great show, a fine read. Man, it’s good to see Hitman 3 getting the love and top honor. Totally onboard with that. I’m surprised It Takes Two went over so poorly there. It was the opposite here and except for that one cruel scene, was loved in our house.

It will be interesting to see if any of those backlog games end up on next year’s awards. Am happy and honored to “contribute” to that and be a tiny part in this. Merry Christmas and here’s to an even better 2022. ? 

• Like 2

Huzzah, glad I could make a small contribution to the wonderful scientific endeavour you have taken on here!!

Man, absolutely brilliant with your awards here ? You have given me some things I want to check out as well! You really have such an eloquent way with words, it is a joy to read. I had to skim through quite a bit because I'm a little busier at work today than I want to be, but I'm planning to go back through later to give it the full proper read!

It has been such a pleasure to follow along with your "experiments". I look forward to more in the future! Keep up the stellar work, Doc!!

• Like 2

jayz-clapping.gif

Brilliant work, sir!

Also I'm very pleased to be included, but I have to give the assist to Mr. Realm, especially for Afterparty - wouldn't have picked those up without his nudging!

As for you (yeeeewwwww), I haven't tried to compile all the games you've added to my backlog, but it's a lot more than a few, I can tell you that!

You gave me a great start to the day - this was the absolute perfect morning read, and Gonzo said it best -

6 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

I literally did sit down with a bevvy just now and I read this as if it was an end of season TV special or a GOTY wrap-up from a key YouTuber, and I wanted you to know that as you go into the happy Christmas season (as I assume you'll cool down on this site for a few weeks and pick back up again in the new year)...

Your way with words is a mighty one, whether you're analyzing or crackin jokes, and as this (whole checklist really) has displayed, you could write for days and I'd happily read it all.

Also real quick - @GonzoWARgasm, may i humbly suggest playing Mark of the Ninja sooner than later! You'll tear through it fairly quickly, and it's absurdly fun.

Not much for me to disagree with here (not that it would matter - the science doesn't lie after all), all I can say in that regard is that it's a pity Tsushima didn't speak to you, but oh well... not everybody has to like everything!

Overjoyed to see Hitman 3 raking 'em in, as well as Afterparty (of course). I'm even more excited than before now to delve into Mass Effect, Little Nightmares, Invisible Inc., and Shadow of the Colossus, plus I'm more curious now over Observation, The Touryst, and Hades.

As usual, you've outdone yourself!

Do you uh... need any help pickin up popcorn or leftover drinks or anything?

Edited by YaManSmevz
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Also I'm very pleased to be included, but I have to give the assist to Mr. Realm, especially for Afterparty - wouldn't have picked those up without his nudging!

Ah - see - this is what is awesome in these threads - the round-robin of word of mouth is powerful, and a good game gets spread around like wildfire!

Big ups to @realm722 too then - Afterparty was dope!

Also real quick - @GonzoWARgasm, may i humbly suggest playing Mark of the Ninja sooner than later! You'll tear through it fairly quickly, and it's absurdly fun.

absolutely - Mark of the Ninja is something special!

Overjoyed to see Hitman 3 raking 'em in, as well as Afterparty (of course). I'm even more excited than before now to delve into Mass Effect, Little Nightmares, Invisible Inc., and Shadow of the Colossus, plus I'm more curious now over Observation, The Touryst, and Hades.

Ah - same same for Observation here man - that’s a game you’d tear through fast - it probably a 3-4 hour one-sitting kind of game at it’s best (with a couple hour clean up playthrough after the fact) - but I must admit, that’s a really gratifying one to see that I could get some new interest around! 

Feels like something really fresh, and with it being tough to describe, I’m glad to encourage anyone to play it - it rocks!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

Ah - same same for Observation here man - that’s a game you’d tear through fast - it probably a 3-4 hour one-sitting kind of game at it’s best (with a couple hour clean up playthrough after the fact) - but I must admit, that’s a really gratifying one to see that I could get some new interest around! 

Feels like something really fresh, and with it being tough to describe, I’m glad to encourage anyone to play it - it rocks!

It's also currently 60% off on the psn store, so now is the perfect time to get Observation if you're interested (like me).

• Like 3

I had to put my Tuxedo back on to post this one....... At least I hadn't sent it off to the dry cleaners after the awesome awards ceremony.

Sorry for the really late response on this one..... I was kind of in a similar boat to how you  are at weekends, when you are practically limited to your phone for posting, in my case though, I'm pretty sure the Luna Module guidance Computer on Apollo 11, runs faster than my phone, a bit of a nightmare to say the least.

I always like to dedicate as much time as I can or need to dropping responses like this, so that's why it's a little late.

I'm not going to comment on every single thing on the awards, there are only so many hours in the day after all ?..... 

....... I am so glad that Hitman 3 did well and cleaned up pretty nicely at the awards. It sounds like I'm in for a real treat once I actually manage to get that sweet game in my hands.

I loved reading the entire thing obviously, I particularly enjoyed the Ear Candy section, well and one other section, but I'll get to that ?...... Still as a mole person, it was nice to read about some of the better elements of some of those games. I am one of the few people who you could probably literally sell a game to  on decent sound design and foley work. I already owned Mass Effect: Andromeda, but I definitely want to play it that little bit more, just on the basis of how strong that department is.

On 17/12/2021 at 1:24 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

GREMLIN-PLATINUM.jpgmetal-gear-solid-solid-snake.jpg.63fe86cf767573af67843d4490b0cd4f.jpg

WINNER: @rjkclarke

CGSH.gif

This seems like the only appropriate reaction..... :lol:

Especially with @YaManSmevz, comparison with me to Marty McFly on the regular - and how he thinks every time I say "Doc!" It's just like Marty, although I think that's hilarious, and the idea of that really does make me laugh.

I must admit I did I have a slight little inkling that I would probably have at the very least been in the running for that award.

I couldn't be happier that you ended up enjoying Crack in Time as much as you did though.

You know what though? You've added to my backlog just as much as I've added to yours.........  and I love that though!  Bearing that in mind though - and I absolutely mean this with all the sincerity I have - I wouldn't have it any other way.

Seriously mate, I really  wouldn't have it any other way - you know what else? We started our respective checklists literally a day apart, so we've had almost five whole months less of the year to actually add to each others backlogs. So I'm looking forward to a full year of backlog adding from both of us in the year to come! ?

I'm not sure how I managed to wangle getting you to pick up a Snooker title, I really ought to get that Encyclopedia Snookeria published I guess :lol:

Without sounding too much like I'm parroting everyone else.

Thanks for all the fun, and the interesting reads over the past half a year, it has been an absolute blast to read, and follow along with. I've enjoyed all of it, whether it's the descent into talking about obscure films or books in my thread or shooting the breeze about some of our favourite games here, it has been such a joy. It really has, it's refreshing to see someone always looking for the positives out of the things that they play. I always get a little frustrated when I see people just incessantly complaining about the things they are playing, it genuinely makes me wonder why they are even bothering.

On 17/12/2021 at 1:24 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

I don't go around deliberately disliking games, or being inflammatory about games other people like, just to be different or contrarian. If anything, the opposite is true - I'm the guy who likes games too much, and try to find the good in everything... often to a fault!

This is something that you and I share - and I'm very glad that we do, but I do worry it's going to get me in trouble one day, when I wax lyrical about something that has very obvious flaws, that I could look past. Someone else plays it, and then wants to hunt me down and hit me on the head with a block of wood, or something sharper and more painful. 

This one is very me specific. However, thank you for putting my mind at ease on so many occasions, that you don't have to limit how much you are writing, so long as you are saying all that you want to say - it's just you and I clearly have a whole bunch to say sometimes. Well - that, and being a massive part of me re-finding some of my passion for writing, I've told you before that one of the reasons  I started my own checklist was to get a bit of pressure free writing practice. The pandemic  had all but beaten a lot of that passion out of me (seriously, I hadn't felt creative for the better part of a year,) but the huge quality of your output, has absolutely inspired me to get better and improve, and I think most importantly to look forward to approaching my keyboard, instead of trepidatious and anxious about the whole thing, which I had been, so honestly thank you so much for that!

Huh I barely mentioned games in this whole post, but that's fine, the awards were a pleasure to read - but I think you should absolutely be the main focus from me here, on this one, WE as readers are the real winners here. We've had over half a year of eye opening, opinion sharing, obscure title unearthing, so many fascinating discussions too.

We should all raise a glass of our favourite alcoholic, or non alcoholic beverage.......

....... in the words of Joan Baez. "Here's to you"

It's been a pleasure man! It really has.

Bring on DrBloodmoney Game Awards 2022 

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 4

So, my weekends don't really give me much time to browse PSNP, so my response is a bit late... But regardless, I read your awards thing and man, once again the reading didn't disappoint! But this time not only in terms of literary class, of which one can only have the highest expectations when it comes to your own writing, Doc, but also in terms of presentation. I dig the banners for each category, and the fun modifications on the trophy symbols for the "bad ratings", the presentation... Just a fantastic review of how 2021 has been for you. 

My biggest surprise is that RAD didn't make it into the "worst trophy list" category ? I can only imagine how bad the winners must be... 

As for It Takes Two... Damn... I don't know how close we are to the ending (probably not that close yet), but I am not looking forward to finishing that one! 

What I'm particularly happy about, obviously, is to have added four games to your backlog ? All four very different, yet fantastic games. I can't wait for your reviews once you get to them next year! :D 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

So, my weekends don't really give me much time to browse PSNP, so my response is a bit late... But regardless, I read your awards thing and man, once again the reading didn't disappoint! But this time not only in terms of literary class, of which one can only have the highest expectations when it comes to your own writing, Doc, but also in terms of presentation. I dig the banners for each category, and the fun modifications on the trophy symbols for the "bad ratings", the presentation... Just a fantastic review of how 2021 has been for you. 

Thank you man!

My biggest surprise is that RAD didn't make it into the "worst trophy list" category 1f602.png I can only imagine how bad the winners must be... 

You know - I did consider RAD - particularly when thinking about Void Bastards, as they are both rogue-likes that are really good in the main game, but made a bit more burdensome by the trophies... but the reason I didn't end up putting RAD on there was, in fact, partly down to you, my friend!

I spent some time thinking about the games in terms of "What ones would the trophy lists be most detrimental to the experience, even if you knew all the info ahead of time?" - and because you actually outlined a way to "jimmy" the RNG a bit, I figured RAD actually gets softened a little!

I figured,  if someone were to read your method ahead of time (and didn't do what I did, which was not look at the list, and so not even bother looking out for the quests until they were nearly done with all other trophies..:facepalm:) then they could probably save themselves a lot of the pain-in-the-ass parts of the grind. 

With Void Bastards, however, it's not that the list is bad because of RNG or grind - it's that the least fun runs are all quite similar, and don't stack the way 99.999% of games would make them do. There is really no justification for a "No Weapons of any kind" run not also unlocking all the other "No Weapons of X kind" at the same time - and that, to me, is a more egregious oversight on the part of the developer in trophy implementation.

RAD's issues are simply randomness in the game, and the trophies just reflect, and are made irritating as a result of, that.

With Void Bastards, the issue is purely as a result of the trophy implementation and nothing else, so I think it's worse - even if the resulting irritation was a little less on my personal part!

As for It Takes Two... Damn... I don't know how close we are to the ending (probably not that close yet), but I am not looking forward to finishing that one! 

Hey - look on the bright side - knowing there's a bad ending coming, you can enjoy what is really the most fun part of It Takes Two with MsArc - making fun of Cody and May, free of the potential for guilt after the fact! ?

What I'm particularly happy about, obviously, is to have added four games to your backlog 1f601.png All four very different, yet fantastic games. I can't wait for your reviews once you get to them next year! :D 

Thank you for your service bud - my backlog salutes you! ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney

Well written Awards Ceremony, doc! ? I don't have a tuxedo and tie, I'm wearing a standard shirt and shorts, but I hope that's formal enough for the occasion! ?

Here's to a good 2022 with more great games to discover, and more scientific retrospectives on your games! Every game you play is part of your likings, dislikings, and everything in between, and seeing our past games is always an important part of what we've enjoyed. You've put in a great amount of attention to detail, and like Arcesius says, the banners are a great touch, but it also shows you put a good amount of time into it. Nicely done, and I look forward to what's next!

• Like 1