DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

If it wasn't for the fact that you're beginning the DLC for it and will probably rank it soon after re-S-ranking it, I would absolutely put a priority ranking on Outer Wilds as that game blew me away when I played it and I'm very interested to see what you thought of it. Though given the backlog of games you've completed recently that you'll have to analyze first, I doubt priority rankings will be touched for a little while.

Edited by grayhammmer
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, grayhammmer said:

If it wasn't for the fact that you're beginning the DLC for it and will probably rank it soon after re-S-ranking it, I would absolutely put a priority ranking on Outer Wilds as that game blew me away when I played it and I'm very interested to see what you thought of it. Though given the backlog of games you've completed recently that you'll have to analyze first, I doubt priority rankings will be touched for a little while.

Yeah, playing that Echoes of the Eye DLC now, and just taking my time trying to figure it all out, but once that's done, I'll definitely be doing a ranking for it - I suspect it will do very well, as that game blew me away too... in a rather The Witness-y way! ?

• Like 1

Looks as if you've gotten 2022 of reviews off to a very strong start Doc!

Nice to see Psychonauts 1 getting some well deserved love!

My backlog is safe for the time being though - I think anyway.

Most of the things I would have been interested in are already there... Like Psychonauts 2 was always a given for me.... And after we spoke about Rhombus of Ruin a couple of weeks back I might have to purchase that and borrow my friends VR headset if he doesn't mind.

On 06/01/2022 at 5:42 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

There is no level quite as unique as the adventure-game-heavy Milkman Conspiracy, or the completely different Lungfishopolis

That is a bit of a sad face though - but if the 3D platforming is as good as you say it is..... Then I guess I can forgive that...... Only if Mr Schafer gives us a Broken Age 2 just to make up for the lack of Adventure-gaminesss. Well I can dream right?

I am very much looking forward to Psychonauts 2 though - a friend of mine recently played Psychonauts 1 & 2 in short succession although he played the second game first, and then the first game, no idea why.  But it does kind of prove what you said to Smevz about the fact there is more than just the one game now, so the ability to move through the series and have more than just the first game really does help.

I'm really on the fence about Lost Words

initially all you had to write was this......

On 06/01/2022 at 5:42 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

Lost Words: Beyond the Page is a word-based puzzle-lite platformer, written by Rhianna Pratchett (daughter of the late, great Terry, and who has considerable videogame credentials to her name, including BAFTA award winning writing on Heavenly Sword, and Writer's Guild Award winning writing for Overlord.)

.....to sell me on the game.... Then I read the rest of it and now I'm really not sure.

Also I had a little MIND = BLOWN moment when you mentioned Rhianna being Terry's daughter - I knew of her already, but I didn't know about the connection she had to him, that's really awesome!

I'm glad you got to experience the game the way you did, with your Son, that probably significantly enhanced the experience for you.

I'm really unsure on this one - might be one I kind of "have in reserve" for if/when I have children to experience it with - I just don't know that there is enough of a pull there for me to want to dive on in, I'm really glad I now know if its existence though, so thanks for that!

We've already discussed You Are Being Followed a fair bit - I like the idea of it, but it sounds like it'd turn my house into a vomitised Jackson Pollock and that isn't good for anyone. ?

I guess as everyone seems to be nailing so much writing at the moment, I guess I ought to do some myself instead of being such a lazy bones about it :lol:.... You really did get quite a bit of productive gaming done over the festive period, I did 1 game , so at least I have much less of a catch-up job review wise ?... Looking forward to whatever you've got next to be measured against the science though!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Looks as if you've gotten 2022 of reviews off to a very strong start Doc!

Nice to see Psychonauts 1 getting some well deserved love!

My backlog is safe for the time being though - I think anyway.

Most of the things I would have been interested in are already there... Like Psychonauts 2 was always a given for me.... And after we spoke about Rhombus of Ruin a couple of weeks back I might have to purchase that and borrow my friends VR headset if he doesn't mind.

oh, for sure - I was kinda wondering as I started Psychonauts 2 how much Rhombus of Ruin would feel necessary, and the way I see it, is it’s not a requirement - it does summarise what you need to know - but if there is any chance of getting to play it, it’s certainly got some subtle jokes that would make more sense having played it. More importantly though, I think it would certainly make Rhombus work less well to play it after Psychonauts 2, so if you do have the opportunity to play it at any time, doing so in the right order is the way to go!

That is a bit of a sad face though - but if the 3D platforming is as good as you say it is..... Then I guess I can forgive that......

Yeah - it is a little sad the adventure game stuff is gone, but I really do think it’s made up for with the great story, and the artistic variety. Where in Psychonauts, it feels like a new design ethos in each level, in 2, it almost feels like a different rendering engine at times!

I mean, I went in with pretty high hopes, but I really didn’t imagine I’d end up ranking it higher than the original… that was a surprise for sure!

Only if Mr Schafer gives us a Broken Age 2 just to make up for the lack of Adventure-gaminesss. Well I can dream right?

You know… I’d bet we haven’t seen the last Tim Schafer adventure game. I just don’t think the guy will ever pull himself away from them completely!

I'm really on the fence about Lost Words

initially all you had to write was this......

.....to sell me on the game.... Then I read the rest of it and now I'm really not sure.

Also I had a little MIND = BLOWN moment when you mentioned Rhianna being Terry's daughter - I knew of her already, but I didn't know about the connection she had to him, that's really awesome!

I'm glad you got to experience the game the way you did, with your Son, that probably significantly enhanced the experience for you.

I'm really unsure on this one - might be one I kind of "have in reserve" for if/when I have children to experience it with - I just don't know that there is enough of a pull there for me to want to dive on in, I'm really glad I now know if its existence though, so thanks for that!

Yeah… to be honest, I’d say it’s probably only worth a look as a curiosity if you don’t have younglings around. From an adult point of view, it is a very simple game - and most of the best aspects can probably be appreciated from a video as much as by playing.

Quite a lovely little game - but it has it’s audience, and without at least one of them along for the ride, it would feel a little wanting, I suspect.

We've already discussed You Are Being Followed a fair bit - I like the idea of it, but it sounds like it'd turn my house into a vomitised Jackson Pollock and that isn't good for anyone. 1f602.png

I guess as everyone seems to be nailing so much writing at the moment, I guess I ought to do some myself instead of being such a lazy bones about it :lol:.... You really did get quite a bit of productive gaming done over the festive period, I did 1 game , so at least I have much less of a catch-up job review wise 1f606.png... Looking forward to whatever you've got next to be measured against the science though!

Haha, I know - I don’t know what happened over Christmas!

The previous holiday I spent most of the time playing some older stuff and doing some overdue dlcs and whatnot (Arkham Knight / Shadow of Mordor) and had one long game on the go (ACIII), but this year, I wanted to catch up on some of the smaller games I had built up… some I knew I would tear through quickly, but it seemed even the ones I expected to take longer - Carrion or Morbid for example - just ended up taking very little time too… so much so, that I’ve ended up giving myself a mountain of write-ups to get through now!:blink:?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

oh, for sure - I was kinda wondering as I started Psychonauts 2 how much Rhombus of Ruin would feel necessary, and the way I see it, is it’s not a requirement - it does summarise what you need to know - but if there is any chance of getting to play it, it’s certainly got some subtle jokes that would make more sense having played it. More importantly though, I think it would certainly make Rhombus work less well to play it after Psychonauts 2, so if you do have the opportunity to play it at any time, doing so in the right order is the way to go!

Well I'll try and play them in the correct order - but I do have previous for playing things in a stupid order.... I mean the way its turned out I've gone about Yakuza has been weird...... Psychonauts I'll try playing the recommended order though. I would likely not play Psychonauts 2 till I have a PS5 anyway. So Rhombus might be something I'll just get to at some point.

You know one thing I wish we got with the PS4 version of Psychonauts was a proper full fledged HD remaster, instead of the port. The PS2 version of Psychonauts was always the worst version of that game anyway, I originally had it on Xbox - so when I came to play the PS4 version I remember thinking "I was sure the game was smoother than this....." apparently not though, the PS2 version was always just a little bit ropey.

Yeah - it is a little sad the adventure game stuff is gone, but I really do think it’s made up for with the great story, and the artistic variety. Where in Psychonauts, it feels like a new design ethos in each level, in 2, it almost feels like a different rendering engine at times!

I mean, I went in with pretty high hopes, but I really didn’t imagine I’d end up ranking it higher than the original… that was a surprise for sure!

That's good to know then - because I probably similarly would have gone in with high hopes, so I'm really glad to hear that it actually does deliver.

Especially that some of the levels feel like a different rendering engine, that sounds really awesome.... Psychonauts as a series (now at least) - I've always thought, is one of the games that would most benefit from the passage of time and newer and better technology. So it sounds like now we're rocking and rolling with some tech that can actually realise some of Tim Schafers vision a bit better.

You know… I’d bet we haven’t seen the last Tim Schafer adventure game. I just don’t think the guy will ever pull himself away from them completely!

I hope not - I don't think he will quite pull himself away either.... I mean he contributed ideas and even a few written pieces here and there to Thimbleweed Park and you can read them in the games library so he still has his toes in the water to some extent. Adventure games have had somewhat of a mini-renaissance in the last five years or so, so it'd be nice to see him get in on the action again - especially when Broken Age is such a great example of how well he really can still nail that genre.

Quite a lovely little game - but it has it’s audience, and without at least one of them along for the ride, it would feel a little wanting, I suspect.

That was definitely the impression I got from your review of it - so yeah, I think I'll just leave it as a maybe for now - it isn't as if I don't have a backlog the size of Somerset anyway - so one less game can't hurt.

Haha, I know - I don’t know what happened over Christmas!

The previous holiday I spent most of the time playing some older stuff and doing some overdue dlcs and whatnot (Arkham Knight / Shadow of Mordor) and had one long game on the go (ACIII), but this year, I wanted to catch up on some of the smaller games I had built up… some I knew I would tear through quickly, but it seemed even the ones I expected to take longer - Carrion or Morbid for example - just ended up taking very little time too… so much so, that I’ve ended up giving myself a mountain of write-ups to get through now!:blink:1f602.png

Oh dear - I feel for you on that one..... ACIII does feel long too, I like that game don't get me wrong, but that has a lot of stuff to do in it. Especially as Connor is about as compelling a protagonist, as the plot of a book of carpet samples is interesting!

bored-boring.gif

Shhhhhh Doc! :shakefist:  Why did you bring up Arkham Knight? I was hoping nobody would mention it so that I could just pretend away like I didn't desperately hope to have finished it by now instead of stare at it blankly hoping it will play itself. 

That's actually good idea though - tackle a lot of the games that you know you can get through quickly. Something I ought to probably consider.......

I'm sure you'll get through the mountain of write-ups though..... I'm struggling to motivate myself to even do one, and you've already done five! So hats off with that one man! I gotta pick up the pace :lol: If this was a tortoise and hare thing.... I would be neither - just a slug stuck in treacle ?

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 1

Shady Part of Me!!!

I've almost bought that one so many times... once when it wasn't even on sale!

8 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Is gaming butt-plug LA Cops going to pop out and be replaced as 'Least Awesome Game'?

I could actually hear a foul popping sound in my head as I read that???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Kopite said:

Any more Final Fantasys, Resident Evils or Sonics awaiting review?

Hmmm, well, Sonic-wise, there’s nothing - never been a Sonic guy myself, but there are a couple of RE games - RE5 and RE6 still outstanding. FFX is still pending, as is FFXIII-2, and I think that’s it for Final Fantasy (no chance FFXV is going to qualify, as there are a whole mess of unobtainables in there I didn’t get in time… though that’s probably a dodged bullet for FFXV, as I didn’t like that game nearly as much as most of the others!)

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Hmmm, well, Sonic-wise, there’s nothing - never been a Sonic guy myself, but there are a couple of RE games - RE5 and RE6 still outstanding. FFX is still pending, as is FFXIII-2, and I think that’s it for Final Fantasy (no chance FFXV is going to qualify, as there are a whole mess of unobtainables in there I didn’t get in time… though that’s probably a dodged bullet for FFXV, as I didn’t like that game nearly as much as most of the others!)

Yes I remember you saying you weren't a Sonic guy yourself. RE5 and RE6, not exactly the strongest games in the RE franchise but I'd be interested to see how harsh you are with either of those.

FFX is my 2nd favourite FF game so I'd hope you'd have enjoyed that one as well and FFXIII-2 would be an interesting read definitely. A sequel that wasn't needed story wise but had some fantastic elements to it. FFXV isn't my favourite FF by a long way so no worries there lol

I can't decide between RE6 or FFXIII-2 so I'll let you choose! haha

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Kopite said:

Yes I remember you saying you weren't a Sonic guy yourself. RE5 and RE6, not exactly the strongest games in the RE franchise but I'd be interested to see how harsh you are with either of those.

FFX is my 2nd favourite FF game so I'd hope you'd have enjoyed that one as well and FFXIII-2 would be an interesting read definitely. A sequel that wasn't needed story wise but had some fantastic elements to it. FFXV isn't my favourite FF by a long way so no worries there lol

I can't decide between RE6 or FFXIII-2 so I'll let you choose! haha

Well, the time shall come for everything eventually…but given that I’m still clawing my way through some of my holiday backlog - so won’t get to the Priority Rankings for at least a couple of batches - I’ll stick FFXIII-2 on there with your name, as that one has the context of FFXIII already on there!

I really think I’d need RE5 done before RE6, to give proper context, so will try to get to that sooner rather than later though… TBH, there is probably enough crossover there, that doing them back to back probably makes sense!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Well, the time shall come for everything eventually…but given that I’m still clawing my way through some of my holiday backlog - so won’t get to the Priority Rankings for at least a couple of batches - I’ll stick FFXIII-2 on there with your name, as that one has the context of FFXIII already on there!

I really think I’d need RE5 done before RE6, to give proper context, so will try to get to that sooner rather than later though… TBH, there is probably enough crossover there, that doing them back to back probably makes sense!

Sounds like a smart way to go! Looking forward to them. Cheers!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The_Kopite said:

Sounds like a smart way to go! Looking forward to them. Cheers!

Oh! I also forgot - there will be a FFVII Remake ranking to do at some point - however, even though it technically qualifies right now, I've decided to hold off on that one, until I play the PS5 version, as it has the Yuffie DLC, which I really want to see before tackling it...

That means it'll be a "Bonus Ranking" when I do get around to it...  and let's face it - I liked that game so much that I'm looking forward to doing it all over again... which probably gives away the fact that it's liable to do very well on the list ??

• Like 3

Just now, DrBloodmoney said:

Oh! I also forgot - there will be a FFVII Remake ranking to do at some point - however, even though it technically qualifies right now, I've decided to hold off on that one, until I play the PS5 version, as it has the Yuffie DLC, which I really want to see before tackling it...

That means it'll be a "Bonus Ranking" when I do get around to it...  and let's face it - I liked that game so much that I'm looking forward to doing it all over again... which probably gives away the fact that it's liable to do very well on the list 1f609.png1f602.png

Yes!!! Bring it on!

Yeah I totally understand, I've got the FFVII Remake Integrade PS5 version sitting on a shelf, with no PS5 to play it on lol it went pretty cheap so grabbed it as wanted that version for the colletion anyways lol

The Yuffie DLC is supposed to be pretty good and give a new kind of ending scene too linking towards Part 2, so I'm looking forward to playing it whenever I get my hands on a damn PS5! lol

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The_Kopite said:

Yes!!! Bring it on!

Yeah I totally understand, I've got the FFVII Remake Integrade PS5 version sitting on a shelf, with no PS5 to play it on lol it went pretty cheap so grabbed it as wanted that version for the colletion anyways lol

The Yuffie DLC is supposed to be pretty good and give a new kind of ending scene too linking towards Part 2, so I'm looking forward to playing it whenever I get my hands on a damn PS5! lol

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed FFVIIR actually - as one of (if not the) PSNP resident FF appreciator, I did wonder what your stance on it would be - it seems to be one of those Marmite games for FF Fans - they either love it, or despise it, and there's no middle ground at all!

Personally, I couldn't have been happier with the direction they took... but I'll leave it for the eventual review ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed FFVIIR actually - as one of (if not the) PSNP resident FF appreciator, I did wonder what your stance on it would be - it seems to be one of those Marmite games for FF Fans - they either love it, or despise it, and there's no middle ground at all!

Personally, I couldn't have been happier with the direction they took... but I'll leave it for the eventual review ?

Wow, I should get a nice badge that says that and wear it whilst going to the shops haha "The PSNP resident FF appreciator". lol

I enjoyed it overall a lot, thought it was really good. Certainly doesn't beat the original for me, but then even though I love FF as a franchise, I didn't go into it thinking it was going to be the same game but with nicer graphics. Square Enix would never have done that, they'd look to mix things up a bit and integrate other elements from other FFVII lore too. Think they did it well overall and for me, as long as the main story beats stay essentially the same then that'll do. I really appreciated the combat system after FFXV's (which I could not get on board with well at all).

So yeah, definitely don't despise it, but don't love it either. I like it a lot and that's all that could be asked imho.

It'll be very interesting to read your review in the future!

• Like 2

Couldn't agree more with your praise for the Hitman trilogy doc. Spent an evening on the Sniper maps last night attempting to mop up the previous game DLC in anticipation of starting Hitman III proper and it was like I'd never been away.

What I like most about the game is that its actually incredibly easy to pick up. It seems daunting at first but before you realise it you've sneaked through an entire villa of guards and strangled your target and dumped him in a wood chipper. You can never go wrong because of the sheer volume of potential options to your objective, if it is starting to look a bit dicey just duck in a side room, choke out a hapless employee and follow up any new openings it presents. It does a fantastic job of making you feel good at the game, you feel as good at the art of killing as 47 himself in all honesty! 

I have one more game to squeeze in before I crack on with but i already know it'll be my GOTY for '22.

On one other note, Hitman III was crowned the new most awesome game in the same batch as your Jedi Fallen Order review. I really liked it but I'm pretty sure it's purely down to the Star Wars fandom thing because you were spot on with everything about it.... sheesh a lot of it was awful. Oh look another sliding down a hill section ?‍♂️ I don't know what it is about it though as soon as you turn your saber on.... ? I was way more excited than I probably should have been when you first see cal's master in those flashback sections as well. I literally stood up outta my seat and called out to my wife "HE'S A LASAT!" ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cleggworth said:

On one other note, Hitman III was crowned the new most awesome game in the same batch as your Jedi Fallen Order review. I really liked it but I'm pretty sure it's purely down to the Star Wars fandom thing because you were spot on with everything about it.... sheesh a lot of it was awful. Oh look another sliding down a hill section ?‍♂️ I don't know what it is about it though as soon as you turn your saber on.... ? I was way more excited than I probably should have been when you first see cal's master in those flashback sections as well. I literally stood up outta my seat and called out to my wife "HE'S A LASAT!" ?

Ah man, I was really looking forward to that as well. Got it ready and waiting for the PS5, just need a PS5......

• Like 2

On 14/01/2022 at 4:24 PM, Cleggworth said:

Couldn't agree more with your praise for the Hitman trilogy doc. Spent an evening on the Sniper maps last night attempting to mop up the previous game DLC in anticipation of starting Hitman III proper and it was like I'd never been away.

What I like most about the game is that its actually incredibly easy to pick up. It seems daunting at first but before you realise it you've sneaked through an entire villa of guards and strangled your target and dumped him in a wood chipper. You can never go wrong because of the sheer volume of potential options to your objective, if it is starting to look a bit dicey just duck in a side room, choke out a hapless employee and follow up any new openings it presents. It does a fantastic job of making you feel good at the game, you feel as good at the art of killing as 47 himself in all honesty! 

Haha - glad you are enjoying them man!

That, in particular, is actually a really important thing that I kind of glossed over in my reviews - but I think you're absolutely right, and it's something that Hitman has never really managed prior to the rebooted trilogy. The games always had a very high skill ceiling, but they always had a bit of high floor too - for all that I loved Blood Money and Contracts back in the day (and I sure did!) they were always tough sells to new players, as they were pretty hard to pick up. You really had to spend quite a bit of time getting worked by the game, before you could even come close to finishing a hit.

In the new ones though, the ceiling is sky-high (and, given some of the outrageous stuff people do in videos on the web, I'd argue it's near infinite!) but the barrier to entry is much lower.

You can stumble and bumble your way through a mission, Frank Drebin Style, and still have a whale of a time doing so - in fact, seeing people play a mission for the first time, not knowing anything is a joy in the new trilogy that really isn't matched by any game I can think of... but knowing there is still thousands of ways to do it completely perfectly, in addition to the millions of goofy, silly, bumbling ways is what makes the game such a masterclass in design...

...plus, often, the bumbling, silly run you do where you finish in a hippie outfit, after a bloodbath with an exploding duck and a melee fish, can give you a nugget of an idea that leads to an insane but cool way of pulling it off in a unique, but still awesome way next time! ?

I have one more game to squeeze in before I crack on with but i already know it'll be my GOTY for '22.

Well, after seeing what they have planned for Year 2, I'd say it isn't a guanrantee that it won't be mine too ?

On 14/01/2022 at 5:36 PM, The_Kopite said:

Ah man, I was really looking forward to that as well. Got it ready and waiting for the PS5, just need a PS5......

You know - as much as I was disappointed with Jedi (and I super was - I mean, the review is pretty scathing, I admit!) I still would never want the end result of anyone reading this thread being that they were put off playing a game they fancy - I'm super happy you dug the game - and hope @The_Kopite enjoys it too - it was just incredibly not my bag!

In the end though, we all have games that we like in spite of flaws, and what's forgivable for some is deal-breaking for others - as my constant and enduring love for bizarre, long-forgotten Konami PS2 entry Shadow of Memories will attest ?... that game is a stone cold mess in a lot of ways, and yet I still won't let my sister get rid of my old PS2, just incase I want to replay it ?

The real victory in this thread is if someone picks up something they wouldn't have otherwise, and likes it...

...as far as putting people off games... that's an absolute last resort for me - one man's chuff is another mans cheddar after all!

Except LA Cops

I'll happily put people off that one.?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

You know - as much as I was disappointed with Jedi (and I super was - I mean, the review is pretty scathing, I admit!) I still would never want the end result of anyone reading this thread being that they were put off playing a game they fancy - I'm super happy you dug the game - and hope @The_Kopite enjoys it too - it was just incredibly not my bag!

In the end though, we all have games that we like in spite of flaws, and what's forgivable for some is deal-breaking for others - as my constant and enduring love for bizarre, long-forgotten Konami PS2 entry Shadow of Memories will attest ?... that game is a stone cold mess in a lot of ways, and yet I still won't let my sister get rid of my old PS2, just incase I want to replay it ?

The real victory in this thread is if someone picks up something they wouldn't have otherwise, and likes it...

...as far as putting people off games... that's an absolute last resort for me - one man's chuff is another mans cheddar after all!

Except LA Cops

I'll happily put people off that one.?

I'm hoping I like it, it certainly looks like a game that I would enjoy. Still who knows when that'll be considering getting a PS5 seems to be harder than getting rid of all the Sith in the galaxy lol

"one man's chuff is another mans cheddar after all!" - That is one cheesy take on that saying haha it's very true though. I'm sure we could all name games that the next person would go "Hated that game/That game's not for me" etc etc.

Clearly I've missed this review of LA Cops then lol

• Like 2