DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

On 1/20/2022 at 4:41 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Journey
Kena: Bridge of Spirits
L.A. Noire
Outer Wilds
The Forgotten City

With a minimum of 1 Bonus games this round, including:

Sayonara Wild Hearts

I am VERY excited about this next batch of games, 3 of the 6 are games I very much greatly enjoyed or even loved.

I also realized that somehow, someway, I haven't posted here directly in your thread before... whoops. I did a brief search on your posts to ensure my request hasn't already been done / not eligible (or else I'd recommend you The Banner Saga :P). Is there any chance we can get "The Messenger" into the laboratory? 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, realm722 said:

I am VERY excited about this next batch of games, 3 of the 6 are games I very much greatly enjoyed or even loved.

if it's the same 3 I'm thinking of, I suspect we shall be in lock-step on them, because there's some bangers on there as far as i'm concerned too!

I also realized that somehow, someway, I haven't posted here directly in your thread before... whoops. I did a brief search on your posts to ensure my request hasn't already been done / not eligible (or else I'd recommend you The Banner Saga :P). Is there any chance we can get "The Messenger" into the laboratory? 

So... the thing with the Priority Rankings is, I keep those to only games that already qualify - i.e. ones I already have the S-Rank for... for a specific reason.

It might sound silly, but while I'm a guy who likes a lot of different genres, and I have pretty eclectic tastes, my actual decisions over what to play next at any given time is very much "gut-feel" - I never want to tie myself down to feeling like I "have" to play a certain game (or to finish any game I start, for that matter.)

As such, I totally welcome recommendations of games (I actually keep a pretty exhaustive notepad list of who recommends me different games, so I can thank them... or blame them, I suppose, but that's rare for me! ?)...

...but I don't ever like to take a Priority Assignment for a game I haven't played yet, because I'm a bit superstitious about upsetting the weird, cosmic accord I've struck with the universe, with regards to starting games ?

I like to make sure my own play is driving this thread, and not the other way around, if that makes sense?

Really, I just don't want to be disappointing people, by promising to get to a game, but not getting there quick enough - I'm bad enough with getting around to the reviews of the ones I've already played! ?

With that said though...

...I do actually own The Messenger! ?

I bought it in a sale not that long ago, and have it waiting in the wings for when I fancy that kind of game, and when I play a pixel-art metroidvania style game, I do tend to consume them, so I'd expect that when I do get to it, it will be added as a Bonus Game to whatever Batch is on the go then, as I fully expect to get the S-Rank when I do - and I'll try to remember this message, and stick you in as a requester when it happens... I just can't promise when it'll be!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

I'm getting closer and closer to being up to date with your analysis and today I find myself at the batch containing Deathloop. Despite my brief frustration with trophies not popping as they should i really enjoyed it. I agree with you though, it is simply not as good as Dishonored, Prey and Deus Ex.

I'd liken Deathloop to an action movie. It was a blast from start to finish, its short and sweet, I enjoyed it but its over with and I probably won't think about it again until a sequel comes out. Well probably not now considering Bethesda went green.... ?

Dishonored's gameplay loop of "how on earth am I getting in that room, with no powers? Knocking the target out and getting him back to the boat without being spotted? All without killing anybody" ? I'd liken it to a dialogue heavy TV show, its slow and methodical and you spend more time using your brain than just having something to point your eyes at. The best part is, you stop after 2 hours and you do it all over again tomorrow. That is just my jam.

Deathloop is explosions and machine gun fire, literally. Damn good explosions though ?

Special mention for Colt and Julianna, the Julianna invasions were the best bit and their verbal sparring was sublime. In fact it'd make a damned good series, Colt and Julianna just chatting shit at each other ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neef-GT5 said:

@DrBloodmoney - I’m afraid I’m about to grow your priority list an extra bit thicker by adding Control :-) Happy Sunday 1f44b.png

No probs man, flagged with your name. ?

I've been toying around with the idea of replaying that one on PS5 actually, so i'll see how it shakes out - if I do decide to pull the trigger soon, I might leave that one until afterwards, since that'll be a good refresher!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Neef-GT5 said:

Another great batch, thanks 1f64f.png1f60a.png

Outer Wilds was in my why-not-play-it-someday list; I’m afraid you just moved it to my must-play-someday list. Well done 1f44d.png 

That alone makes this one feel worthwhile mate!

Anyone whom I can encourage to check out Outer Wilds is victory for me - that game is such a singular, unusual experience, that I think it behoves every gamer to check it out - if only to see how far the medium can be pushed in that particular direction!

If I may, I absolutely recommend avoiding any kind of spoiler territory - including even looking at trophy lists ahead of time.

It's not a game you would even need to look at trophies ahead of time anyways (the benefit of the 22 minute gameplay loop, means there is no trophy that cannot be achieved later on in less than 22 minutes!), so there's nothing anyone needs to know in advance in terms of "missable" or anything like that. As such, simply experiencing the game completely untethered from outside sources is totally viable, and absolutely the way to go - and it's even better if you have someone to act as co-pilot on the couch, to bounce ideas off!

There is really nothing like finding one of the major clues, and putting it together yourself, to make you feel both as big as a giant, and as tiny as a speck of space-dust! ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

The Outer Wilds sounds utterly fascinating... it completely passed me by other than the outer worlds/outer wilds thing that went on when they came out. I shall definitely have to correct that

Also I just finished Berlin in Hitman 3, great twist on the formula and yes, the best level in the series. So far anyway. Imagine that level with Deathloop's Julianna style invasions from other players ?

Oh and Forgotten City is such a special game, I hope one day it comes to plus so more people will play it. I do wonder about what they do next though. It's Genesis as a Skyrim Mod means they were wrapped up in this one game for years and years. Can they replicate this success in a new project? One they haven't lived and loved for all that time. I hope so and I'm excited to find out

Edited by Cleggworth
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cleggworth said:

The Outer Wilds sounds utterly fascinating... it completely passed me by other than the outer worlds/outer wilds thing that went on when they came out. I shall definitely have to correct that

dude... I made that mistake! 

I heard about Outer Wilds on a podcast... and rushed out and bought Outer Worlds ?

Not that Outer Worlds was a bad buy, of course - it was fine... but I know on which side of that coin flip my bread is buttered!

Also I just finished Berlin in Hitman 3, great twist on the formula and yes, the best level in the series. So far anyway. Imagine that level with Deathloop's Julianna style invasions from other players 1f633.png

Word!

Oh and Forgotten City is such a special game, I hope one day it comes to plus so more people will play it. I do wonder about what they do next though. It's Genesis as a Skyrim Mod means they were wrapped up in this one game for years and years. Can they replicate this success in a new project? One they haven't lived and loved for all that time. I hope so and I'm excited to find out

Yeah, it's gonna be an odd act to follow - I wonder if they will maybe try going hard in a different direction, rather than do something in the same kind of Bethesda-adjacent style... feels risky to try the same thing again... though I wouldn't necessarily sniff at it either way!

• Like 1

OH man, this new scientific paper outlined 3 games - one that I've played and 2 others that I am now aiming to get.

Kena: Bridge of Spirits - Initially I was "it looks like a cute adventure-platformer game where you bop monsters with a cute girl and do cute stuff". However seeing those threads with "Master Difficulty ruined my childhood" and also seeing how you've thoroughly enjoyed it, I will definitely aim to grab that game at a discount. I am quite intrigued by it now :D 

LA Noire - I had a similar experience, I loved the game (and felt that the ending FIT the narrative and the theme - yeah maybe the final missions weren't as crazy as the Crime Desk, but it was Noir Film alright). However I DID play the PS3 version and...yeah Truth, Doubt and Lie were SO confusing to use xD I had to use a guide in some places.

I bet everyone who played the game remembers this line xD Imagine it was "LIE" for me as an option

The Forgotten City - I saw someone streaming this game for 5 minutes and...my god it felt like one of the best narrative HORROR games out there xD did not know it's also for Playstation, up into the wishlist it goes!

Again, my wallet will suffer due to your reviews ?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Copanele said:

OH man, this new scientific paper outlined 3 games - one that I've played and 2 others that I am now aiming to get.

Kena: Bridge of Spirits - Initially I was "it looks like a cute adventure-platformer game where you bop monsters with a cute girl and do cute stuff". However seeing those threads with "Master Difficulty ruined my childhood" and also seeing how you've thoroughly enjoyed it, I will definitely aim to grab that game at a discount. I am quite intrigued by it now :D 

Yeah, definitely a game that really underplays it's true nature with it's marketing and visuals - I don't like playing the "rarity guessing game" often (partly because those arguments often get asinine, but mostly because I'm terrible at it!) - but I suspect that if the game hadn't had a very simple exploit in the early versions to allow people to unlock that master difficulty trophy from an "easy" playthrough, I suspect the rarity of the plat would be sitting around the 5-8% range, rather than the 20-odd% it is currently.

Not one I'd necessarily die on a hill for, but certainly worth having a closer look at than the initial impression would suggest!

LA Noire - I had a similar experience, I loved the game (and felt that the ending FIT the narrative and the theme - yeah maybe the final missions weren't as crazy as the Crime Desk, but it was Noir Film alright). However I DID play the PS3 version and...yeah Truth, Doubt and Lie were SO confusing to use xD I had to use a guide in some places.

I bet everyone who played the game remembers this line xD Imagine it was "LIE" for me as an option

Dude - don't you "doubt" every time someone "Lies"? 

Isn't that kind of... the whole point?

Yeah, what a bizarre decision that was - definitely one that makes a huge difference once it's corrected in the remaster!

The Forgotten City - I saw someone streaming this game for 5 minutes and...my god it felt like one of the best narrative HORROR games out there xD did not know it's also for Playstation, up into the wishlist it goes!

Again, my wallet will suffer due to your reviews 1f602.png

Dude - it's just such a well put together thing! 

It feels odd making the biggest selling point of a game be just... man, they clearly thought about this game so much - because that's a tough thing to articulate correctly, but it really is the case here - there's such a tightness and carefulness to the way the game has been mechanically constructed, that it lets you just sink into the experience, and feel like you are free to just do whatever you want, and know the game will 'keep up'. 

It's the kind of thing you usually only notice by it's absence, but here, it's so notably well done, that you actually notice it in a positive way - and that's something!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

1. How recent some of the top games are!

With 2021 game Hitman 3 currently riding the top spot, and (given its size, and quality, setting an incredibly high bar for other games,) 2019 game Outer Wilds right behind it, 2020's Persan 5 Royal right up there, and 3 2018 games right up there, I think that more than confirms the level to which my eyes roll when I head the old "Games were better in my day" arguments get trotted out by the usual cadre of curmudgeonly stick-in-the-muds!

Games have, in fact, never been better, nor more diverse.... and I've got Science to prove it, God-dammit! 1f602.png

??? this is absolutely somethng that has made me roll my eyes as well recently and not so recently. It's just not a true statement. There are so many, so incredibly creative NEW games, games for everyone regardless of preferences... It's a fanastic time to be gaming, that much is certain! 

2. Outer Wilds beating The Witness

Prior to really drilling down and thinking about it analytically, I would likely have casually mused that The Witness was my favourite Puzzle Game of all time... but the more I thought about it, the more two things came to light - Outer Wilds is, in fact, a Puzzle Game at its core... and it's combination of life-affirming motive content, and intellectual stimulation actually surpassed the The Witness.

While I would still argue The Witness directly affected my enjoyment of Outer Wilds - I really do believe that The Witness provided the lessons, that were used to solve Outer Wilds - that to me just proves that games, in many aspects, are still on a forward journey.

Great games lead to ideas, which lead to even greater games, which lead to new ideas... and the melting pot of ideas continues to mature and to grow across the whole gaming sphere!

I didn't respond to your review (because... dude I'm just happy I find the time to respond to this post, ok? ?), but while I wasn't surprised to see Outer Wilds ranking highly, it was indeed an unexpected placement! I have heard so many great things about this game... It is not necessarily a genre that draws me too much (exploration games in general, I mean), but I will definitely keep this one on my radar! 

Also, I really didn't know much about Annapurna until I learned that they were the ones publishing Solar Ash... Now that I've had a look at their previous published games, they definitely seem to have great taste! :D  

3. Dark Souls II being pushed out of the Top 5

I love Souls Games. I absolutely adore the genre, and - probably more than any other genre - FROM have a monopoly on it. I can't think of any genre out there where the original instigator of it still maintains such a high level of quality within it, and consistently remains the top dog. Dark Souls II is still my favourite FROM Souls Game (which makes it, by default, by favourite Souls-like, period,) and so it was surprising to me to see it slip out of the top 5 on the list already. 

That is, of course, not a slight on Dark Souls II - after all, No.8 out of 284 is still a hard-as-fuck 5-star endorsement! - however, casual listing of my favourite games of all time would always include Dark Souls II... and so it shocked me a little to see it surpassed by 7 others. 

I guess that's just a testament to how great those games are too!

You know, I think one thing is certain: All FromSoft games (in the Souls-Series...) are of exceptionally high quality. They all deliver in terms of gameplay and atmosphere, and they are responsible for the influx of copycats releasing soulslikes left and right. 

However, as much as I love those games (with Nioh / Bloodborne being the ones that I would rank highest), I think neither would show up in my top-5 list. They would have a couple of years ago, but not after having played so many incredible games filled with creativity, and having been developed with love and passion (and it shows). 

5. The unfortunate accidental 'slighting' of small games

This is one I think needs to be addressed somewhere, so where better than here?

There are a smattering of very small-scope games - You Are Being Followed, for example, or Shape of the World - where the games are far from perfect, but not actually terrible, but where their drawbacks have combined with tier much smaller, more limited scope than a lot of other games, to result in very low placement on the list that feels almost mean. 

There are also games I think are actually pretty good, but in limited or repetitive small-scope genres where low placement is inevitable, but that low placement doesn't' necessarily reflect my actual enjoyment of the games - none more so than Artifex Mundi picture hunt / puzzle games.

While I stand by the rankings, and think that reading the specific reviews and ranking write-ups will explain exactly why this result happens, I do slightly mourn the initial impression this casts on these games. There is no real way around it - the nature of an absolutist ranking like this one is that some good games fall further down the list than one might like - but that is the nature of the beast.

I understand where you are coming from, but I think you have - maybe unknowingly - implemented the perfect way of mitigating this problem... 

Personally, I would be hopeless if I had to put all of my games on a ranked list...and I have only played a fraction of the number of games you have under your belt ? And it's not the review itself that helps here... It's your explanation AFTER the review where you compare the "to-be-ranked" game to games already on the list of similar genres, and write about the strenghts and weaknesses of the reviewed game when compared to similar games on the list. It is this explanation that really helps the reader understand WHY a game - be it a huge AAA-title or a small game no one has heard about - ranks as it does. And it is also this explanation that somewhat relativizes the hard, cold ranking itself.  :)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Arcesius said:

I didn't respond to your review (because... dude I'm just happy I find the time to respond to this post, ok? 1f602.png), but while I wasn't surprised to see Outer Wilds ranking highly, it was indeed an unexpected placement! I have heard so many great things about this game... It is not necessarily a genre that draws me too much (exploration games in general, I mean), but I will definitely keep this one on my radar! 

Also, I really didn't know much about Annapurna until I learned that they were the ones publishing Solar Ash... Now that I've had a look at their previous published games, they definitely seem to have great taste! :D  

You know - I was thinking about this recently, and while I have a fair few developers whom I think have earned the "Shut up and take my money!" status in my mind, where I'll buy anything they make sight-unseen (Arkane, Klei, DoubleFine, Supergiant etc.) - there's only one publisher that comes close to that status - and that's Annapurna!

You look at some of the stuff they've put out:

What Remains of Edith Finch
Flower
Gorogoa
Donut County
Gone Home
Outer Wilds
Journey    
Sayonara Wild Hearts
Wattam
Kentucky Route Zero
The Unfinished Swan
The Pathless
Maquette
Twelve Minutes    

and while I haven't played every one, that's a pretty amazing hit-rate, and every one is at lest interesting, even if not exactly to my tastes.

They really are establishing themselves as THE publisher for the "best of indie" in the last decade!

I actually just yesterday bought The Artful Escape, and all I know about it is that Annapurna published it - and that's enough for me to pay full price for it!

1 minute ago, Arcesius said:

I understand where you are coming from, but I think you have - maybe unknowingly - implemented the perfect way of mitigating this problem... 

Personally, I would be hopeless if I had to put all of my games on a ranked list...and I have only played a fraction of the number of games you have under your belt 1f602.png And it's not the review itself that helps here... It's your explanation AFTER the review where you compare the "to-be-ranked" game to games already on the list of similar genres, and write about the strenghts and weaknesses of the reviewed game when compared to similar games on the list. It is this explanation that really helps the reader understand WHY a game - be it a huge AAA-title or a small game no one has heard about - ranks as it does. And it is also this explanation that somewhat relativizes the hard, cold ranking itself.  :)

I'm really glad to hear that's working man, that's certainly the hope, and really happy folks are seeing through the raw numbers, to the meat of the games within!

• Like 4

On 1/25/2022 at 3:25 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

results.jpg

1f4c9.png1f913.png NEW SCIENTIFIC RESULTS ARE IN! 1f913.png1f4c8.png

Bloodmoney!

I expected to be nudged closer to Journey and Outer Wilds, but the latter surprisingly so! Guess I'd better get crackin on that one...

I knew Journey was no slouch with the visuals or score, but I can't say no to a vacation romance!

Wife: Oh wow, candles and rose petals? Oh honey, you're so roma-... wait, what are you doing?

Me: Playing Journey.

Wife: Wait, are you wearing my lingerie???

Me: Okay you're killin the mood here, I'ma have to ask you to leave.

Outstanding L.A. Noire review!

LA Noire is an unusual game in many ways. It's messy and unfocussed in many of its mechanical elements, yet suffers for these elements far less than many similarly afflicted games might, managing to lean on the strength of the elements it absolutely nails. Those aspects are done so well, they tend to paper over the cracks left open elsewhere.

Well put. I always love when a game does certain things so well that it renders its shortcomings negligible, and this game is a superb example of that!

Even the ending, which makes use of a particularly Deus-Ex-Machina reveal fits perfectly. I have heard complaints that the ending to LA Noire is 'overly convenient' or silly, but those complaints always felt hollow to me, as they betray a lack of understanding of the filmic tropes the game is aping. The late-film, rather convenient summation of the overarching conspiracy via an 'exposition-dump' reveal, is an integral and established trope within Film Noire. Whether that is to the individual's tastes is up for debate, but it's inclusion in a game deliberately stylising itself after those established filmic tropes is not. It does to LA Noire, what the same reveals do in the best Chandler novels, and the best Bogart films do. 

I actually rather liked this with the ending, and the confusion in the second half (wait, my protagonist did what? Who's this guy?) but the one thing I could take or leave was the overturning of previous cases. Whereas the ending used the "what had happened was..." trope rather well (and fittingly, as you pointed out), the cases thing just felt a bit rushed and unexplained to me.

Not all of course - the case with the pedo and the husband was made for something like that - but some of the dudes you charge just had waaaaayy too many things incriminating them, least of all their behavior in the interrogation rooms. McCaffrey's roar of "SHE GOT WHAT WAS COMING TO HER" is a specific example that comes to mind?

These character captures are the most notable and stand-out part of the game still though - and certainly give the game it's signature hook, however, there are serious visual positives in other areas too. The stylish UI and world design are perfect in their evocation of the Los Angeles of Noire Film and the 1:1 recreation of LA is really pretty remarkable. I have never visited LA, but I am something of an aficionado of this era of film and television, and I was constantly surprised by how many landmarks I saw that were perfectly recreated and how tonally correct the world felt. Indeed, even knowing LA only via filmic rendition, I was often able to roughly orientate myself with regards to its layout simply by identification of landmarks, rather than the provided mini-map.

As someone who knows L.A. firsthand, albeit only in the modern era, I heartily agree with every word here! Unfortunately...

This excellent design of the era-appropriate open world does bring up probably the biggest, most glaring issue with the game, however. As great as 1940s/1950's LA looks, and as much joy is to be found in simply driving around in it... the game gives very, VERY little reason for doing so. 

I agree 100% with this as well.

This is almost assuredly an issue born out of the uneasy combination of Team Bondi and Rockstar - two companies who clearly had different ideas of what makes a good final product, and of what LA Noire should be. 
Team Bondi crafted what is essentially a lavish, unusual and modern take on the detective Adventure game - one where narrative and plot is king, and where the gameplay focus is on conversational dialogue, clue finding in small crime scenes, and identification of lies and tells in interrogation. These remain the most interesting elements of the game - the most prominent, and the signature, and while there are some issues in these sections (the aforementioned over-the-top performance flourishes, and the issues the game has with a sometimes rather arbitrary difference between "doubt" and "Lie" mechanics,) they work very well generally.

Rockstar, on the other hand, were not in the Adventure Game business. They were in the Open-World Crime Sim business, and were And remain) the kings of making money on that front. As such, their influence added an entire other layer to the game - a massive open world, and a significant number of car chases and shoot-outs - all of which look and feel great, (benefitting from Rockstar's signature finesse and almost fetishistic attention to detail,) but none of which feel really necessary to the game. 
In fact, there is so little reason to engage with the open world, that all those sections can, in fact, be skipped within the game via a button push - and very little is really lost in doing so. The result, is that LA Noire suffers from some of the issues Mafia II suffered from - there is a magnificently crafted, beautiful and well-realised work out there... which is barren, lifeless, and almost entirely superfluous to the game, aside form adding stylistic flavour. (And from Rockstar's rather unfortunate habit of peppering their open-worlds with a glut of non-game-critical collectibles, required to be found in pursuit of the platinum, but serving little purpose beyond padding the games length.)

On point. It would have been much better to show the drive as the detectives talk, passing monuments here and there, and just observing the amazing rendition of the city in that period. In fact, it very much seems the intention! I'd much prefer that and wishing I could explore it than having the city to explore, but needing to scour it for collectibles!

Also the story is so lavish and has such an expert flow to it that even without the nuisance of collectibles, the open world feels more like an interruption than anything.

Audio-wise, LA Noire nails its intentions completely though - harder than in any other aspect. There are no weak points in the game from a sound point of view. The vocal work is excellent across the board (as one might expect, given the talent,) but in terms of foley and music, it is pitch-fucking-perfect. Gunshots sound great, tyre-screeches sound not only visceral, but era-appropriately visceral, which is not something that is easy to do. The score is absolutely fantastic, perfectly evoking Hollywood Noire, and it would not sound out of place in a Big Sleep / Maltese Falcon / Chinatown style movie. 

All of this??

I loved The Witness - so much that I still think of it daily - but I didn't get tears in my eyes. Outer Wilds? That shit made me feel smart, yes, but it also made me weep. There is an emotional layer on top of the intellectual one that worked so well, that I can confidently state that I will NEVER forget the experience.

As such, I believe Outer Wilds has to rank higher than The Witness - and any regular Science Chum will know - that means something!

Literally all I needed to hear!

I hope you've cut a deal with some of these developers man, you're far more persuasive than any advertising they could possibly muster!

L5ab6ff.png

Both you and realm really knocked it out of the park with your write-ups on this one - I actually have to go back and finish his once I'm done with the game, as I'm in the middle of it now and am avoiding spoilers like the plague (he kindly gave warning of course). It's a fucking phenomenal game. As was this write-up! Good job as always, man!

• Like 4

16 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Bloodmoney!

I expected to be nudged closer to Journey and Outer Wilds, but the latter surprisingly so! Guess I'd better get crackin on that one...

I knew Journey was no slouch with the visuals or score, but I can't say no to a vacation romance!

Wife: Oh wow, candles and rose petals? Oh honey, you're so roma-... wait, what are you doing?

Me: Playing Journey.

Wife: Wait, are you wearing my lingerie???

Me: Okay you're killin the mood here, I'ma have to ask you to leave.

? I did wax on a bit about that side of the game - but that’s the funny thing about doing the reviews for the games I played a while ago - it’s very specific parts that really stick in my mind, and that odd feeling of brotherhood with a complete stranger, who I never could talk to, or even who’s name I never knew was the thing that never left me about that one!

It’s a really unusual thing for a game - I can’t really recall any game that did the same thing before or since!

Outstanding L.A. Noire review!

Well put. I always love when a game does certain things so well that it renders its shortcomings negligible, and this game is a superb example of that!

I actually rather liked this with the ending, and the confusion in the second half (wait, my protagonist did what? Who's this guy?) but the one thing I could take or leave was the overturning of previous cases. Whereas the ending used the "what had happened was..." trope rather well (and fittingly, as you pointed out), the cases thing just felt a bit rushed and unexplained to me.

Not all of course - the case with the pedo and the husband was made for something like that - but some of the dudes you charge just had waaaaayy too many things incriminating them, least of all their behavior in the interrogation rooms. McCaffrey's roar of "SHE GOT WHAT WAS COMING TO HER" is a specific example that comes to mind1f62c.png

You know - that is a good point. It’s one of those things that I bet works much better the first time through the game, if you go guide-less, and aren’t replaying cases and trying to five-star everything - if you actually did fail a case or two along the way, it makes that moment feel more plausible.

If (like most trophy hunters) you meticulously got perfect on every case, the overturned verdicts are a bit improbable, given the airtight cases you had made already! :hmm:

On point. It would have been much better to show the drive as the detectives talk, passing monuments here and there, and just observing the amazing rendition of the city in that period. In fact, it very much seems the intention! I'd much prefer that and wishing I could explore it than having the city to explore, but needing to scour it for collectibles!

Absolutely - do it like the ‘cab’ option in GTAIV, that would feel much less ‘two-games-jammed-together’ than the driving sections, and less ‘smash-cut’ than the skip option. 
It could also have let you peruse the case notes etc within the car, and not have Cole standing (presumably) motionless in front of witnesses and suspects at the crime scenes as he reads his own notes ?

Literally all I needed to hear!

I hope you've cut a deal with some of these developers man, you're far more persuasive than any advertising they could possibly muster!

Man, I’ll go to bat for Mobius Digital for free, any time I can - they’ve earned it from me already!

Both you and realm really knocked it out of the park with your write-ups on this one - I actually have to go back and finish his once I'm done with the game, as I'm in the middle of it now and am avoiding spoilers like the plague (he kindly gave warning of course). It's a fucking phenomenal game. As was this write-up! Good job as always, man!

Thanks man - and glad to hear you’re enjoying The Forgotten City too!

I gotta hear some thoughts when you get to the ‘last’ ending - no spoilers, but I thought it was really well executed - in a few different ways!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

Just now, Cleggworth said:

Moons of madness looks good, tad too expensive at its current sale price for me but.... if it reviews well, maybe

Hate to say it, and appear to prejudice the science... 

...but it won't.

I thought it looked really cool too.

I was, unfortunately... not correct. ?

Just now, DrBloodmoney said:

Hate to say it, and appear to prejudice the science... 

...but it won't.

I thought it looked really cool too.

I was, unfortunately... not correct. 1f61e.png

I was hoping for something akin to SOMA but I guess not ? i await the review regardless

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cleggworth said:

I was hoping for something akin to SOMA but I guess not ? i await the review regardless

Oh, it certainly has some SOMA vibes - that is a very clear inspiration, and SOMA is going to be referenced quite a bit in the review - but unfortunately, that comparison does Moons of Madness no favours at all. The similarities only ever make you wish you were replaying SOMA, rather than playing Moons of Madness!

• Like 1

On 25/01/2022 at 9:55 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

Ember Lab are a new studio but they have talent honed in commercial and feature animation, and it very much shows. The general visual look of Kena is adjacent to Pixar or Disney Animation Studios - both stylistically and qualitatively - and while the particular design aesthetic (the closest feature, I would argue, is Disney Animation Studio's Big Hero 6,) is a matter of taste, appreciation of the level of fidelity and the animation quality is simply not up for debate.

Yep, Ember Lab are great at making things look pretty! Funny how you mention that the gameplay is Zelda inspired, because not sure if you know, but they did a fan animation of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask and it looks absolutely stunning, alongside great sound design as well.
It's neat how you compare it to Big Hero 6... Now that I look at it, I actually do see the similarities! ? It's always interesting to see people draw different parallels from games; every work of art is subconsciously always inspired by something else, and we the viewers/readers/players can interpret these things in different ways. I for one never considered it similar to Big Hero 6 but upon comparison it really DOES look similar. I wonder what'll inspire Ember Labs next?

And 8 games for the next batch? Phew, I respect the work doc! ? When I write stuff I usually procrastinate, so I can tell you've got great work ethic to set a goal and stick to it. There's many more many games to go, but you'll get through 'em all!

Edited by Shrooba
  • Like 3