DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

19 minutes ago, Platinum_Vice said:

It’s been a while since I left a decent comment behind – I have been saving up some thoughts that are nearly finished cooki- oho! Here they are!

Apotheon (yeah we’re going back a few... just coz I haven’t commented doesn’t mean I’m not reading 1f609.png).
Doc, you are added to what is becoming quite a long list of Checklisters that have played this game and regaled at length in support of Apotheon. Surely you can’t all be wrong – I’ve just got to add it to The List now.

The artstyle truly does leap off the screen and as a fellow fan of the Greek mythos, there’s more than enough there in that game for me to pick it up, I think.

Yeah, it's definitely work seeing - I do think it's mechanically adequate at best, but the art is something special, and well worth checking out!

Control

This baby is burning a hole in my dashboard.

To play ASAP or to play when I get a PS5... nah I can’t wait that long. 

You point out that the map system is woeful but juuuust adequate enough that you would keep attempting to use it instead of following the environmental directions; I will try to remember this when I play it.

Don’t. Use. The Map. 
Ok I think I got it.

I am very much excited to see the visual strengths and the depth of the lore that Control received praise for. 

I’ve actually seen VERY little of this game (maybe a forgotten trailer here or there), so most of what I imagine Control will look like is based on a quick scouting of the PSNP trophy guide with extrapolated imagery based in your own review, and I have to say, I am excited. It has a lot of ingredients to be a sleeper-hit for myself.

Definitely the most important thing I think is, read every text document you find / bit of lore, as there is so much good stuff in there! I know some games do train you not to read all that, as it can be just fluff at times, but the stuff in Control is really funny at times (particularly the stuff that has been redacted) and really cool and interesting most of the time!

Dead Cells’ DLC

On the flip side of you getting me hyped for most games, occasionally it backfires! 1f631.png

Your Dead Cells DLC compares it to Dishonoured 2, Transistor and Dark Souls. I am looking forward to ALL OF THAT except for the Dishonored games. I am a little worried about em. I’ve got them but they don’t look so much like something that is in my wheelhouse. I’ll start Dishonored 1 in about a month’s time – no matter what – but my hype metre is petering out a bit. Can you help me moisten the appetite if you have the time?

Well, Dishonoured is it's own beast, but I'd say it's a pretty even split between Bioshock, Deus Ex, Thief, and Hitman really.

That's reductive of course, but in terms of a broad recommendation, I'd say if any one of those games was your thing, then you'll probably like Dishonoured... and if you liked 2 or more of them, then it's pretty much a lock!

Elden Ring

That’s quite the opus (x2!! FromSoftware leaving a mark and you leaving such a chunk of heart behind on the thread for it).

The bit that really stood out to me was that this is like a Greatest Hits for FromSoft and not so much like a brand new album. That sounds PERFECT for exactly what I want to get out of Elden Ring when I get to playing it myself as I’ve only played Bloodborne. 

Better still I am intrigued how one can go from a fleshed-out castle to an icey blizzard to a desert oasis to something else in one sitting and have all of those biomes blend together in a natural way, but if you say it is so, then bring it on.

It is a shame that there is no overt narrative though (a shame for me, that is, because FromSoft fans don’t seem to care/they seem to enjoy the communal acts of piecing the lore together in these games). I was a believer in the GRR Martin hype and to see that I won’t get much out of that is a letdown.

It's maybe not the best way to put it, but I think the narrative with a Souls game is very much "Less Story, More Lore" - which is not to say it's not interesting, it's just that the story is the one you are making within a storied world, rather than one prescribed to you, if that makes sense. Like, the games give you all the building blocks, and you piece them together - FROM is the Dungeon Master, and you are the D&D Player, encountering other D&D Players (NPCs) as you adventure.

Mark of the Ninja
...are you praising another Klei game? 1f60f.png

Yeah, I’ll buy it now. Convinced! I needed a review from a trusted source. I’ve had it recommended a few times by people that I do not consider to be good judges of games and the trailer is a bit sub-par, but yet, an old (definitely “pre-Science Checklist” old) post from yourself about hidden gems mentioned it so, well, as review requests are your specialty... why not?

Thank you 1f618.png

Ooooooohhhhh, it's so good. 

I know right? Me? Praise Klei? Who woulda thunk? ?

I've actually got Griftlands nearing the top of my "to Play" pile now, so hopefully there'll be another Klei love-fest coming then too!

The Swapper

Seriously, this has to stop. You add games to The List literally at a 2:1 rate relating to how fast I can get through them. I have neither the time nor the money. You are tearing my family apart!

Haha, well, The Swapper is a pretty short one  - but I feel no guilt about encouraging anyone to check it out, because it's just too cool for school!

The Longest Road on Earth

Will you use this for the MHA Community Event?

You know - that was the plan, and I still might, though I think it would be a more difficult one, as it's very much about a feeling and a tone, rather than explicit in its narrative. I've a couple of games that might fit the bill better waiting in the wings, so I'm probably gonna wait a bit, finish those, then decide which one feels most fitting to the theme.

The trophy rarity (98+%) just makes me shudder a little bit... I will order colourful cocktails, I will point out shirtless dudes for my wife if they run by, and I will publically admit that I will pre-order a game if I truly trust the developer, but I don’t think that I am secure enough in myself and how I may be perceived by the world if I was to have a 98 percenter on my PSN profile. Am I iNsAnE ? Put me on the couch again Doc, I'm ranting in public again.

Yeah, I mean, the game is roughly the length of a music album by design, and the trophies are just basically track-markers - it would be impossible to play it and not get the platinum, so it's not likely to ever go lower - I'm surprised it isn't at 100% TBH!

Hey, if anyone wants to come at me about having easy games on my profile, they are welcome to - I'll go punch for punch with anyone on the variety and quality of games on there, and games like The Longest Road on Earth absolutely show that trophy rarity can't be a yardstick for choosing what to play, or else I'd miss out on great stuff!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

L708e74.png

Weird West

Thanks a bunch for posting your impressions of this one.  I’ve heard some mixed and middling responses out there so your perspective was very welcome.  That’s interesting how you found the shooting mechanics difficult on a controller and surmised it was intended as a PC-first experience.  I’ve watched snippets of developer videos and they are always running the PC build using an Xbox controller.  Regardless, I do have it on my wishlist and might check it out on PC some time in the future.  On Steam it’s already on sale which doesn’t bode well for it’s commercial prospects.  Smells like a future PS+ title.

Also, not sure how I was never officially following this thread even though I would read it often.  Fixed that now, RIP my already bloated wishlist.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

Thanks a bunch for posting your impressions of this one.  I’ve heard some mixed and middling responses out there so your perspective was very welcome.  That’s interesting how you found the shooting mechanics difficult on a controller and surmised it was intended as a PC-first experience.  I’ve watched snippets of developer videos and they are always running the PC build using an Xbox controller.  Regardless, I do have it on my wishlist and might check it out on PC some time in the future.  On Steam it’s already on sale which doesn’t bode well for it’s commercial prospects.  Smells like a future PS+ title.

Also, not sure how I was never officially following this thread even though I would read it often.  Fixed that now, RIP my already bloated wishlist.

Cheers man!

Yeah, an odd one - definitely worth a play, but a little jarring coming from the super high polish of a Dishonoured or a Prey
There’s a lot to love, but the shooting is more of a “put up with it to get the rest of the experience” thing than an asset really!

• Like 1

You were on the mark (heh) with Mark of the Ninja. Damn, that game was so satisfying to play and master. As you said, you could be killed instantly but at the same time you could absolutely murder an entire map in the blink of an eye.

I also enjoyed the ending there :D it did not feel satisfying, but in a good way xD 

• Like 3

As per usual I think you may have added to my wishlist again - although it isn't something I'm going to be complaining about. xD.... Why would I complain about having an almost never-ending supply of potentially great games at my disposal.

I keep jumping and back and forth on whether or not to pull the trigger on Mark of the Ninja myself, it's one of those ones where I really have every intention to hit purchase, and then I never seem to actually do it! I'm very pleased to see that it's got another +1 from you though, there's so much swinging in its favour at this point I'd be a colossal idiot probably, not to pick it up!

Thanks for taking the request for Rainbow Moon.... even if it looks likely that I'm only likely to play that once my backlog has VERY significantly been lessened. It doesn't sound bad at all, it just feels like something that shouldn't be jumping the queue any time soon. Ironically you've made me more inclined to want to play I am Setsuna, which I should actually have probably requested instead (I don't recall you doing that one before ?). I might have to seek that one out - especially after you said it was only about 20-25 hours-ish.

The Swapper sounds like my kind of thing as well. I'm pretty sure you recommended that to me last year after I'd played something else, and I might even have purchased it, so I'll have to take a look through my library, as I definitely wouldn't say no to a little puzzling in my gaming life right about now! Sounds like an incredibly cool concept, especially the clay element you described, that's very unique..... okay so I went and looked up some images midway through writing this, and bloody hell, that is such a unique looking environment. It's almost worth experiencing just for that.

I have got a review I've been meaning to write about a point-and-click adventure title that is very heavy on the clay, so you might have just given me a little lightbulb moment there haha xD

I'm all down for Weird West as well - for some odd reason that I can't quite figure out I actually get a really strange enjoyment out of those games that specifically "feel like they should be on a PC."  So I'd probably find that aspect of it rather charming instead of frustrating, but you never know for sure! I will be taking your advice though and doing multiple short playthroughs, I appreciate the heads up on that one, as it sounds like that offers a more fulfilling experience.

I don't even know what to say about The Longest Road on Earth..... Other than I was sold on the idea almost instantly, that's a fascinating way to approach a video game.  In a way I'm really gutted it didn't come out in 2015, because part of my dissertation was specifically about how loneliness and isolation is represented in various forms of media through the use of sound design and music. That game sounds right in my wheelhouse. Especially if the sound and the images marry together pretty well, like it sounds like they do. 

It sounds like something I would have jumped into really quickly for some analysis. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for it in a sale though, because it sounds fascinating if not on the very short side. 

Thoroughly enjoyed reading these ones as ever man!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Copanele said:

Mark of the Ninja. Damn, that game was so satisfying to play and master. As you said, you could be killed instantly but at the same time you could absolutely murder an entire map in the blink of an eye.

I also enjoyed the ending there :D it did not feel satisfying, but in a good way xD 

Time for another round, I guess. :awesome:

Sincerely,

Mark of the Ninja activist.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

As per usual I think you may have added to my wishlist again - although it isn't something I'm going to be complaining about. xD.... Why would I complain about having an almost never-ending supply of potentially great games at my disposal.

Haha - I know what you mean dude.

Whenever I see anyone lamenting that there isn't any good games out there, I wonder "what colour is the sky in your world?"

It just seems so alien a plane of existence they are speaking from ?

There's just not the hours in the day to get to all the great games - just today both Salt and Sacrifice and This War of Mine: Final Cut came out, and I'm looking at my backlog and want to curl up in the foetal position and rock back and fort... I just need a decade or two of frozen time, and maybe I'll be able to catch up ?

I keep jumping and back and forth on whether or not to pull the trigger on Mark of the Ninja myself, it's one of those ones where I really have every intention to hit purchase, and then I never seem to actually do it! I'm very pleased to see that it's got another +1 from you though, there's so much swinging in its favour at this point I'd be a colossal idiot probably, not to pick it up!

You know - I reckon MotN might be a good one for after you run out of Supergiant games (I'm so confident that Bastion will set you an the path to the other Supergiants, that I'm practically assuming Transistor and Pyre are a lock ?)

Klei has some of the same style of amazing indie goodness - shorter games, full of great art, mechanically finessed to the sharpness of a samurai blade, and polished to within an inch of their lives....

....I hate the term "Triple I" even more than I hate "Triple A", but if ever "Triple I" had a place, it would be for the trifecta of Supergiant, Klei and Housemarque!

Thanks for taking the request for Rainbow Moon.... even if it looks likely that I'm only likely to play that once my backlog has VERY significantly been lessened. It doesn't sound bad at all, it just feels like something that shouldn't be jumping the queue any time soon. Ironically you've made me more inclined to want to play I am Setsuna, which I should actually have probably requested instead (I don't recall you doing that one before 1f602.png). I might have to seek that one out - especially after you said it was only about 20-25 hours-ish.

Yeah, I am Setsuna is around that - maybe a little over, but not more than 35 for sure - and I certainly would hold that, and Cosmic Star Heroine up as much, much better choices than Rainbow Moon if you are looking for a 16-bit era JRPG nostalgia kick.

They are kind of flip-sides of the same coin in a way, I Am Setsuna is very much in the SNES-style of older JRPGs (with a modernised look,) and Cosmic Star Heroine is more in line with the Genesis (Megadrive to us!) style of JRPGs - visuals and all.

The Swapper sounds like my kind of thing as well. I'm pretty sure you recommended that to me last year after I'd played something else, and I might even have purchased it, so I'll have to take a look through my library, as I definitely wouldn't say no to a little puzzling in my gaming life right about now! Sounds like an incredibly cool concept, especially the clay element you described, that's very unique..... okay so I went and looked up some images midway through writing this, and bloody hell, that is such a unique looking environment. It's almost worth experiencing just for that.

I have got a review I've been meaning to write about a point-and-click adventure title that is very heavy on the clay, so you might have just given me a little lightbulb moment there haha xD

Go for it man - I am super confident you won't be disappointed!

You got me intrigued about that Adventure game now... so you got to do that one!

I'm all down for Weird West as well - for some odd reason that I can't quite figure out I actually get a really strange enjoyment out of those games that specifically "feel like they should be on a PC."  So I'd probably find that aspect of it rather charming instead of frustrating, but you never know for sure! I will be taking your advice though and doing multiple short playthroughs, I appreciate the heads up on that one, as it sounds like that offers a more fulfilling experience.

Yeah, definitely felt that way to me, though @DrunkenEngineer was saying most of the preview stuff showed the devs playing with a controller, which surprises me - maybe I just misinterpreted it, but it definetly felt like a mouse-and-keyboard vs controller issue that I was experiencing :hmm::hmm::dunno:

I don't even know what to say about The Longest Road on Earth..... Other than I was sold on the idea almost instantly, that's a fascinating way to approach a video game.  In a way I'm really gutted it didn't come out in 2015, because part of my dissertation was specifically about how loneliness and isolation is represented in various forms of media through the use of sound design and music. That game sounds right in my wheelhouse. Especially if the sound and the images marry together pretty well, like it sounds like they do. 

It sounds like something I would have jumped into really quickly for some analysis. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for it in a sale though, because it sounds fascinating if not on the very short side. 

Ha - yeah, this one sounds tailor made for such a dissertation!

I can't really recall a game that looked at loneliness so primarily - there was some of that in Beyond Eyes and Firewatch, and a bit in Life is Strange: True Colours, but neither of them really took it as the primary focus - more often than not, games that deal in loneliness as a main element are horror games - using lonliness and isolation as a catalyst for madness (Uncanny Valley / Moons of Madness / Amnesia / Lone Survivor etc.) 

There isn't many that just look at "loneliness among people, which is odd, because it's something virtually everyone experiences at some point!

Thoroughly enjoyed reading these ones as ever man!

Thank you sir!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Yeah, definitely felt that way to me, though @DrunkenEngineer was saying most of the preview stuff showed the devs playing with a controller, which surprises me - maybe I just misinterpreted it, but it definetly felt like a mouse-and-keyboard vs controller issue that I was experiencing :hmm::hmm::dunno:

It seems like there is no clear-cut “best” control method for this game.  PC players complain that KBM controls have issues with picking up items off the ground and general usability, while controller just isn’t as easy to aim with.  One of those weird (hah!) corner cases with multi plat games, where there is no clear-cut winner for controls.  I played The Ascent on PC, which is a twin-stick shooter, on a controller and it felt fine - the analog movement advantage overcame the lack of mouse aim.

Edit: How was the performance?  Is it 60FPS or 30FPS?

Edited by DrunkenEngineer
  • Like 1

Just now, DrunkenEngineer said:

It seems like there is no clear-cut “best” control method for this game.  PC players complain that KBM controls have issues with picking up items off the ground and general usability, while controller just isn’t as easy to aim with.  One of those weird (hah!) corner cases with multi plat games, where there is no clear-cut winner for controls.  I played The Ascent on PC, which is a twin-stick shooter, on a controller and it felt fine - the analog movement advantage overcame the lack of mouse aim.

Yeah, maybe - like they tried to split the difference to satisfy both camps, and just ended up a bit squirrelly on both! :blink:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Haha - I know what you mean dude.

Whenever I see anyone lamenting that there isn't any good games out there, I wonder "what colour is the sky in your world?"

It just seems so alien a plane of existence they are speaking from 1f602.png

There's just not the hours in the day to get to all the great games - just today both Salt and Sacrifice and This War of Mine: Final Cut came out, and I'm looking at my backlog and want to curl up in the foetal position and rock back and fort... I just need a decade or two of frozen time, and maybe I'll be able to catch up 1f602.png

Thems the breaks I'm afraid - we're never realistically going to have time to play everything, but if we're in a position where we almost always have something awesome at our disposal then how can that not be a good thing.

I do find it a little baffling too sometimes, when people struggle to find what they deem a good game to play when it seems like more often than not there's plenty of them staring them in the face, but :dunno:

I did see This War of Mine: Final Cut & Salt and Sacrifice (although I still must play the first) was out very soon(or today as it turned out), that kind of came out of nowhere for me, I had no idea that was even a thing. I'm assuming you're going to play that eventually, so is that going to get a re-ranking because of all the new content? 

You know - I reckon MotN might be a good one for after you run out of Supergiant games (I'm so confident that Bastion will set you an the path to the other Supergiants, that I'm practically assuming Transistor and Pyre are a lock 1f602.png)

Klei has some of the same style of amazing indie goodness - shorter games, full of great art, mechanically finessed to the sharpness of a samurai blade, and polished to within an inch of their lives....

....I hate the term "Triple I" even more than I hate "Triple A", but if ever "Triple I" had a place, it would be for the trifecta of Supergiant, Klei and Housemarque!

Well I'm already one step ahead on that one, as an element of my gaming life I can't quite escape from is playing games in a weird order, I have already done Transistor, so currently I'm 1 out of 4, soon to be 2 out of 4, as all I have left is those 10 Idols invoked runs and a few vigils and I'll have the Bastion platinum. 

But I think you might be onto something there.... Get MotN when I've run out of awesome Supergiant games, then I can tap that Klei well too! Which reminds me I need to explore some Housemarque titles in the future too. See, there's the too many good games "problem" resurfacing again ?

They are kind of flip-sides of the same coin in a way, I Am Setsuna is very much in the SNES-style of older JRPGs (with a modernised look,) and Cosmic Star Heroine is more in line with the Genesis (Megadrive to us!) style of JRPGs - visuals and all.

Oh that's really interesting actually, I have considered getting Cosmic Star Heroine a couple of times, as another buddy said that wouldn't be bad to scratch a little old school RPG itch, but that's a really cool comparison that they are like the two different console versions. I only dabbled a little bit with the Megadrive ones in that Megadrive collection that was out for PS3, but seeing a recent game using that kind of style sounds very intriguing I must say.

Ha - yeah, this one sounds tailor made for such a dissertation!

I can't really recall a game that looked at loneliness so primarily - there was some of that in Beyond Eyes and Firewatch, and a bit in Life is Strange: True Colours, but neither of them really took it as the primary focus - more often than not, games that deal in loneliness as a main element are horror games - using lonliness and isolation as a catalyst for madness (Uncanny Valley / Moons of Madness / Amnesia / Lone Survivor etc.) 

There isn't many that just look at "loneliness among people, which is odd, because it's something virtually everyone experiences at some point!

That's a very interesting point actually, and one I don't think I'd ever considered all that much is how much it gets used in Horror games more than anything.  Fantastic point! But you're totally right, I get it, too. Loneliness can be a scary thing, and like you said, it's something that virtually everyone experiences at some point, in some form, so in that sense tapping into it for horror does make perfect sense.

I can't think of one either, where it's the main focus. The only one that's really shouting out to me right now for something that directly addresses loneliness and its impact on people in a direct way, is actually in Final Fantasy XIII-2 with the whole, Yeul,Noel and Caius dynamic, but it's not really given all that much focus.  A few of the characters specific hang ups are their fears of impending, and what feel like to them, inevitable loneliness. That does get a little more focus in Lightning Returns too which is kind of interesting I suppose. 

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I did see This War of Mine: Final Cut & Salt and Sacrifice (although I still must play the first) was out very soon(or today as it turned out), that kind of came out of nowhere for me, I had no idea that was even a thing. I'm assuming you're going to play that eventually, so is that going to get a re-ranking because of all the new content? 

I'll certainly be playing the new version of This War of Mine - I've no real notion of how much extra is in it, but my gut says I'll probably do it like I do with a new DLC - do a mini-review and re-ranking based on it... though the original game Iplayed is already very highly ranked, so it's probably unlikely that it would move the needle too much... remains to be seen though!

Well I'm already one step ahead on that one, as an element of my gaming life I can't quite escape from is playing games in a weird order, I have already done Transistor, so currently I'm 1 out of 4, soon to be 2 out of 4, as all I have left is those 10 Idols invoked runs and a few vigils and I'll have the Bastion platinum. 

But I think you might be onto something there.... Get MotN when I've run out of awesome Supergiant games, then I can tap that Klei well too! Which reminds me I need to explore some Housemarque titles in the future too. See, there's the too many good games "problem" resurfacing again 1f602.png

Man, Supergiant to Kei to Housemarque... that's like the worlds best gaming buffet! :holy:

Oh that's really interesting actually, I have considered getting Cosmic Star Heroine a couple of times, as another buddy said that wouldn't be bad to scratch a little old school RPG itch, but that's a really cool comparison that they are like the two different console versions. I only dabbled a little bit with the Megadrive ones in that Megadrive collection that was out for PS3, but seeing a recent game using that kind of style sounds very intriguing I must say.

Yeah, I'm the same - I never owned a Megadrive - I was the SNES owner, and my mate across the street had the Megadrive, so we'd play a lot of stuff back and forth (Street Fighter at mine, Mortal Kombat at his obviously ?) but RPGs weren't a big part of that, as they are so long and solo. I did play some of a Shining Force game (I want to say Shining Force II?) and one of the Phantasy Star games though - and I think Phantasy Star is probably the main well from which Cosmic Star Heroine is drawing.

That's a very interesting point actually, and one I don't think I'd ever considered all that much is how much it gets used in Horror games more than anything.  Fantastic point! But you're totally right, I get it, too. Loneliness can be a scary thing, and like you said, it's something that virtually everyone experiences at some point, in some form, so in that sense tapping into it for horror does make perfect sense.

I can't think of one either, where it's the main focus. The only one that's really shouting out to me right now for something that directly addresses loneliness and its impact on people in a direct way, is actually in Final Fantasy XIII-2 with the whole, Yeul,Noel and Caius dynamic, but it's not really given all that much focus.  A few of the characters specific hang ups are their fears of impending, and what feel like to them, inevitable loneliness. That does get a little more focus in Lightning Returns too which is kind of interesting I suppose. 

True - actually, when you consider how many games take place in post-apocalyptic wastelands or lonely, mystical realms, where there are few people, and the player character is often out on a quest along, you would think there would be more game developers would look at that, and go "let's lean into the loneliness, as a narrative element or gameplay mechanic."

Something like Shadow of the Colossus should really be tailor made for that - the world is not only empty, but Wanda is literally killing the only living things there! - yet they never really treat that as a lonely experience to him in game - it's just left for the player to feel that way in the giant, empty landscapes.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

On 5/9/2022 at 0:33 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

L21efe2.png

Mark of the Ninja: Remastered

??????????????

It really is such a masterfully balanced game, as well as an addicting one. Not much more that I can add really, you nailed everything that makes it so great.

I commented a long while back on comparing this with Hotline Miami, and what a difficult task it would be to pick a winner... I see you gave a slight edge to Hotline as well. Nice!

In older games (Pre-PSOne, I would argue,) the tendency was for the player to be underpowered. Gameplay tended to come from the feeling of oppressive danger, and the fun was in the avoidance of that danger, and the overcoming of it. This was mostly born out of arcade-design, where continual desire to pull in more quarters led developers to favour crushing difficulty. 

In newer games though (Post PSOne,) the tendency was for overpowered characters - gameplay was about dominating the game, and feeling like the player was destroying everything / saving the whole world / becoming virtually invincible as they climb a skill tree or level up a character. Games went from a danger-fantasy, to a power-fantasy. That allowed more people into gaming, but left behind some of the original, more 'hardcore' players, who felt games had softened.

Hey, NES Hard ain't a term for nuffin! I must confess to being one of those players that softened up along with the games as time went on, but games like that really do wake something up in me.

....suddenly I wanna slap on that PS4 Contra collection!

L98c0ba.png

Rainbow Moon

I was so intrigued by this, and gradually as I read on I was like ????? 70+ hours with a lackluster story? An RPG where the controls, rather than the story, is the highlight? Boooooo. That's a shame, I would love something with this sort of aesthetic and with a great story.

Ld3a634.png

The Swapper

Hmm.... PUZZLE platformer, eh?

.....well, you were right about The Witness. Guess I'll have to keep an eye out for this one.  And fire up SOMA!

L708e74.png

Weird West

Can't decide if this is something I'd wanna try out.. love the Dark City reference though! Maybe I'll watch a YouTube playthrough or somethin.

Le30f9f.png

The Longest Road on Earth

This looks like the evil version of a long forgotten Saturday morning cartoon or something! Not sure about this one either, but in the very least I'll check out the soundtrack?

Excellent work as always, Doc!

• Like 4

On 12/05/2022 at 2:32 AM, YaManSmevz said:

??????????????

It really is such a masterfully balanced game, as well as an addicting one. Not much more that I can add really, you nailed everything that makes it so great.

I commented a long while back on comparing this with Hotline Miami, and what a difficult task it would be to pick a winner... I see you gave a slight edge to Hotline as well. Nice!

Yeah, there's not much in it really - pretty much everything in that top 50 now is unassailable - I'd say that if agame is in the top 50 I've played in the last 10 years, that makes them all unequivocal recommendations, regardless of where they stand relative to one another!

Hotline plays great too, and does have the edge in terms of originality and music - and those visuals are something so odd and cool, it would have to rank a little higher... but none of that is a slight on MotN, which is just a sublime execution of an existing genre - it's so good, that 2D stealth games should really be called MotN-likes! ?

I was so intrigued by this, and gradually as I read on I was like 1f601.png1f600.png1f642.png1f610.png1f614.png 70+ hours with a lackluster story? An RPG where the controls, rather than the story, is the highlight? Boooooo. That's a shame, I would love something with this sort of aesthetic and with a great story.

Eh, that one wasn't much fun to write, I'll tell ya - I had been looking forward to that game, as the trailer had looked so cool, but the more and more I played, the less ands less it did for me. A shame really - I never played Rainbow Skies, so not sure if they turned it around with the sequel or not - I never really heard much buzz about it though, so I have my doubts.

Hmm.... PUZZLE platformer, eh?

.....well, you were right about The Witness. Guess I'll have to keep an eye out for this one.  And fire up SOMA!

Absolutely - The Swapper is one I'm a little worried about disappearing in the future - it's one of a tiny handful of games that haven't been made to work on PS5, and I assume that's because the dev doesn't exist anymore - it would be a crime not to play that one while it's still available!

Can't decide if this is something I'd wanna try out.. love the Dark City reference though! Maybe I'll watch a YouTube playthrough or somethin.

Yeah - hot and cold that one - very impressive and original in some regards, but just can't quite thread the needle on the moment-to-moment gameplay. Never bad, but never exceptional either. Still, it more than satisfied my curiosity, and I'll be checking out all future Wolfeye stuff!

This looks like the evil version of a long forgotten Saturday morning cartoon or something! Not sure about this one either, but in the very least I'll check out the soundtrack1f602.png

Absolutely check that soundtrack album out - it's really excellent!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Batman: The Telltale Series
---
Portal 2

Oh, a spicy batch there. I forgot Telltale did the Batman series too, and Portal 2 is a game I actually forgot to play, which is weird considering I loved Portal 1 xD 

Bless The Orange Box!

Looking forward to the scientific bulletin :D 

• Like 2

On 5/13/2022 at 3:51 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Hotline plays great too, and does have the edge in terms of originality and music - and those visuals are something so odd and cool, it would have to rank a little higher... but none of that is a slight on MotN, which is just a sublime execution of an existing genre - it's so good, that 2D stealth games should really be called MotN-likes1f602.png

Oh, 100%! And I'm on board with MotN-likes? It's definitely one of those games where I would happily play a shameless rip off so long as the quality was there!

Eh, that one wasn't much fun to write, I'll tell ya - I had been looking forward to that game, as the trailer had looked so cool, but the more and more I played, the less ands less it did for me. A shame really - I never played Rainbow Skies, so not sure if they turned it around with the sequel or not - I never really heard much buzz about it though, so I have my doubts.

I feel you man, something about a game grabbing you, looking like it's gonna be the shit, but then ending up being closer to actual shit, is a real buzzkill. Literally, in fact!

Absolutely - The Swapper is one I'm a little worried about disappearing in the future - it's one of a tiny handful of games that haven't been made to work on PS5, and I assume that's because the dev doesn't exist anymore - it would be a crime not to play that one while it's still available!

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b95262bab85c8ad47e82d

Yeah - hot and cold that one - very impressive and original in some regards, but just can't quite thread the needle on the moment-to-moment gameplay. Never bad, but never exceptional either. Still, it more than satisfied my curiosity, and I'll be checking out all future Wolfeye stuff!

Absolutely check that soundtrack album out - it's really excellent!

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9522311105e8a7713c8c

newtestsubjects.jpg

269b.png!!SCIENCE UPDATE!!269b.png

The next 5 (somewhat) randomly selected games to be submitted for scientific analysis shall be:

Doodle Devil 
Doodle God 
Portal 2(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Virginia

That's what's up. I might trip on my way up the stairs, go flying into the spare bedroom's closet, break my fall on the box with all my 360 stuffs, pull on it to keep my balance and fall back down the stairs, rush to save the adapters and console falling out of the box and accidentally plug them all in during the process, slip on the Portal 2 case and watch helplessly as the disc flies out and into the 360, then shrug and decide I'm long overdue for finishing that game anyway.

So I bought a used copy for PS3 off Amazon...

...and I may have accidentally replayed the entire game.

Twice. 1f602.png

Ah, I see this has happened to you too!

• Like 4

☢️☢️SCIENTIFIC NOTE☢️☢️

Feeling like a running gag at this point, but due to me being a bit slow on the writing, and finishing up too many new games ?, I'm going to split this batch again!

"Batch 41" (soon) will be:

Doodle God

Doodle Devil

Portal 2

and "Batch 42", in a little while, will be:

Virginia
Last Stop
Manifold Garden
The Stanley Parable

...plus whatever extra Games get S-Ranked in the intervening time!

I think the forum software limits, plus my slower pace now that work life is heating up, means I might have to think about cutting batches to 3, rather than 5 in future, but I'll see what unfolds and play it by ear for now!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Lba674d.png

I can't tell which I love picturing more, the point where somebody was like "Drop the 'the,' just Batman, it's cleaner," or Batman remarking "I'm more popular than Jesus right now."

I could definitely see this game buckling under the sheer weight of how many times this has already been done better (especially if there's a lot of "As you know, my parents were murdered when I was a child" type dialogue). I'm glad it's far from being without merit, but I've never found myself thinking of this as a must, and you've pretty much confirmed it.

L7a0296.png  L990c29.png

Doodle God / Doodle Devil

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9528ece7eed33a97494b

Le0925b.png

Portal 2

I know you do this alphabetically, but this was the right one to go last. Portal 2 be like "let's have a round of applause for my opening acts!"

Fantastic read! One thing you talk about that I'd completely forgotten is that the game is surprisingly funny! Admittedly I didn't even get terribly far into the game - I played it with a friend for maybe three sessions and we were possibly the teensiest bit inebriated each time but it was so absurdly fun.

Yeah. I really do need to dig this lil guy back out. He deserves more (and so do I?)!

A fine write-up as always, Doc. As they say, you're doing the Lord's work!

Edited by YaManSmevz
Forgot to delete the space above Doodle God and gave him a big ass fivehead
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

I know you do this alphabetically, but this was the right one to go last. Portal 2 be like "let's have a round of applause for my opening acts!"

Fantastic read! One thing you talk about that I'd completely forgotten is that the game is surprisingly funny! Admittedly I didn't even get terribly far into the game - I played it with a friend for maybe three sessions and we were possibly the teensiest bit inebriated each time but it was so absurdly fun.

Oh man - it's so worth it - when you get to the section where you are moving through different ages of Aperture, hearing Cave Johnston's insane ramblings, about what he hoped to achieve, and how Aperture became what it became - and what it was supposed to be - it's comedy gold, and a total lesson in how to tell stories through art-style. Just magic - and JK Simmons is so damned good - they really couldn't have possibly cast that part better! 

???

• Like 2

On 20/05/2022 at 3:38 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

I think the forum software limits, plus my slower pace now that work life is heating up, means I might have to think about cutting batches to 3, rather than 5 in future

Sounds like an increase in amount of juicy posts before you run out of your completed games and a decrease in the amount of time in between posts. What's not to like?

On 20/05/2022 at 5:49 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

Hello Science-Rosses and Science-Rachaels

Can I get a Science-Phoebe in a Science-Rachael's body please? Are you taking those types of requests?

it is genuinely debatable who is the more famous icon - The Batman, or Jesus Christ.

Fully agree. The Apostles all got a chapter in the New Testament, right? As someone who knows quite a bit about names in different cultures, it seems to be a pretty solid rule of thumb that if you are Christian, Caucasian and are from Gen X or older, your middle name is one of the Apostles. Try it out. I give it a rate of >90%.

Batman is SUPER well known. Western pop culture is dominated by Superman/Batman/The Avengers, Star Wars and Harry Potter. Even if you haven't seen those movies, you know the main few quotes, the character's names and traumatic experiences, the twists etc.

On that note: 

I actually think it's probably one of Troy Baker's least impressive roles in videogames

...imagine thinking: "I've made it. I'm a household name. I'm the biggest name in video game voice acting. AND! I'm about to play Batman. I'll give it my 50%."

Portal 2 is potentially one of the most perfect games ever made

Oath.

As such, Portal 2 must rank above Prey

My tipping was off by four points; I had you pegged for pushing this one up to 2nd place!

Our opinions are in sync with this one 100%. The changing aesthetic at just the right moments, the degree to which the comedic value repeatedly delivers, JK Simmons and Stephen Merchant's performances, the Goldilocks increase in difficulty and the length of each puzzle. Awesome.

Please tell me that Mrs BloodMoney loves the co-op. Mrs Vice and I have completed the co-op three times. 

I didn't think Glados could be topped from Portal 1 but Wheatley is riotous. 

• Like 2

Fully agree. The Apostles all got a chapter in the New Testament, right? As someone who knows quite a bit about names in different cultures, it seems to be a pretty solid rule of thumb that if you are Christian, Caucasian and are from Gen X or older, your middle name is one of the Apostles. Try it out. I give it a rate of >90%.

It works on me, for what it's worth! ?

Batman is SUPER well known. Western pop culture is dominated by Superman/Batman/The Avengers, Star Wars and Harry Potter. Even if you haven't seen those movies, you know the main few quotes, the character's names and traumatic experiences, the twists etc.

On that note: 

...imagine thinking: "I've made it. I'm a household name. I'm the biggest name in video game voice acting. AND! I'm about to play Batman. I'll give it my 50%."

I snorted Vimto into my nose when I read this - well done sir! ???

My tipping was off by four points; I had you pegged for pushing this one up to 2nd place!

Our opinions are in sync with this one 100%. The changing aesthetic at just the right moments, the degree to which the comedic value repeatedly delivers, JK Simmons and Stephen Merchant's performances, the Goldilocks increase in difficulty and the length of each puzzle. Awesome.

Ah, it's just so damned good. 

Part of me did think about shoving it up - The Witness and Outer Wilds ended up being the blockers for me personally for the reasons I mentioned, but the one aspect that Portal 2 has them both beat on (well, one of the aspects,) is that, for the average gamer who isn't a Puzzle Wierdo, Portal 2 is almost assuredly the most accessible puzzle game ever. 

Not because it's easy, but because it's got that robust story, the humour, the ease of actual mechanical input... and it flows so well - it's the puzzle game for people who don't love puzzle games - or at least, think they don't love puzzle games!

Please tell me that Mrs BloodMoney loves the co-op. Mrs Vice and I have completed the co-op three times. 

I didn't think Glados could be topped from Portal 1 but Wheatley is riotous. 

Word.

You know - sad to say - but my missus never got on with the Portal 2 co-op. She dug the idea, but when I played that back then, she was still relatively new to games, and getting the right timing on the controls to do the quick-fire changes in direction and stuff meant she ended up getting more frustrated than she probably would now...

...and now, she doesn't get so much chance to play. 

...  I actually played the entire thing with my sister, who grew up on games more, (and who is also a puzzle weirdo like myself!) and we had a hell of a time - she ended up getting a Steam account just to play the single player campaign afterwards!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2