DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

On 10.11.2022 at 0:34 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

If there are any specific games anyone wants to see get ranked sooner rather than later - drop a message, and I'll mark them for 'Priority Ranking'! 1f913.png

I am considering requesting you to review Color Guardians, but that might be too cruel. Or maybe writing up a review woul be a cathartic experience?

But anyway, I shall nominate Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy (and reject any possible Objection!s in advance).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zvetiki said:

I am considering requesting you to review Color Guardians, but that might be too cruel. Or maybe writing up a review woul be a cathartic experience?

But anyway, I shall nominate Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy (and reject any possible Objection!s in advance).

Haha - well, they all have to be done eventually - but Colour Guardians is actually already on the list (at a whopping No.306!) ?

I'm slowing down a little in the legacy reviews of late, as I've been quite busy, and will be gearing up soon for the Award Season (got to press that tux and whatnot!) but, there's not too many Priority requests outstanding right now, so as long as you don't mind waiting a little bit for them, I'll add Phoenix Wright to the list, with your name!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
I got my own ranking wrong - how's THAT for dumb?
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Haha - well, they all have to be done eventually - but Colour Guardians is actually already on the list (at a whopping No.304!)

Ah, I see, you translated the title into British, that's why I didn't find it. OK, then I have to look up the review.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, serrated-banner9 said:

had a look at your list and i'll recommend Superhot for review because i have been interested in it for a while s it's a novel concept. the start of probanly many recommandations that based not on if i want to play but if they are on the list or not and if they sound cool lol

Done! ? ?

Courtesy of Batch 24:

On 11/10/2022 at 1:34 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

L51c25e.png

Unravel

I just realized -- I never managed to actually reply to this particular one xD i got so sidetracked I even forgot my request was completed (for which I thank you once again)

Summary: 

The most striking and obvious thing about the game - apparent even in the level-select hub, but breathtakingly more so once the first level is entered - is how it looks. The visuals of Unravel are stunning. The nature of Yarny himself, being magically animated and personified yarn, tends to conjure natural comparisons to a few other games -most notably Little Big Planet, but also Yoshi's Woolly World and Kirby's Epic Yarn - but Unravel is quite distinct, even within that particularly small pool of "yarn-work" art-styles, because while Yarny himself is clearly magical and whimsical, the environments in which he exists are not.
They are, to all intents and purposes, photo-realistic. 

They are gorgeous too.
The almost photo-real environments give the impression of the game being more "stop-motion-adjacent" than the "CGI-animation-adjacent" style most whimsical games lean on. The game is particularly concerned with nature and environmentalism in its themes, and as such, the fact that realistic natural environments are rendered to such a high degree, both of fidelity, and of verisimilitude, those theme lands particularly well.

When I played this game I was shocked - wait, this is an EA game?? Looking this good? 

Like damn this game is BEAUTIFUL! Not only beautiful, it was PLEASING to look at :D 

While there isn't an explicit narrative, there is certainly a through-line to the tone-piece, following the family over the course of their lives, as more and more is revealed, following their detachment and displacement and loss as they move from their rural home, to a a more urban setting... primarily because the place in which they lived is being industrialised and becoming polluted and destroyed.  
It's a relatively simple environmental message, and while it doesn't have a lot to say beyond "nature is nice" it doesn't really need to go further than that. That's the advantage to a game in which the visuals are so striking and sumptuous - the pro-environmental credentials of the game are a virtual fait-accompli, since the levels themselves do such a good job of conveying the beauty of the natural environments in which it takes place... and the horror of the polluted, poisoned after-effects of that industrialisation.

I found the implied narrative to be excellent. The pollution levels were grim, but honestly the final levels were heart breaking xD while I was playing through the last levels (including the blizzard one), I heard a whispered "i so hate your game for torturing Yarny like that" from my wife. 

Bottom line, the game successfully got the message across xD 

The controls are loose and floaty by design - the closest analogue would be Little Big Planet, and can feel a little fiddly. Physics based movement works for the most part, though can sometimes seem a little arbitrary in terms of how "heavy" Yarny feels. I do not believe there is any material difference in the "weight" of Yarny dependent on his density (determined by how much yarn he has spooled,) however, there are clear points where the game "fudges" the relative weight and/or momentum of Yarny in order to make certain solutions work... and this can be a double-edged sword. 

Probably my only gripe with the game (I always complain about gameplay). The controls can become an utter headache, especially in the no-death runs, mainly because you never know what Yarny would do. Will he grab that ledge? Will he fall to his doom? Find out next retry!

Really beautiful game, thanks for reviewing it once again! I don't think I'll ever approach Unravel 2 however :D I see that one is way more gameplay focused with an extra yarny and...honestly I was in this for the story and feeling, not for yarn slinging shenanigans. 

On 11/20/2022 at 5:19 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

☢️☢️(SEMI)-SCIENTIFIC ANNOUNCEMENT☢️☢️

award-categories-banner.jpg

Oh damn, it's time for Agent 47's Tuxedo suit! I should prepare for it! Weird how time flies when you have fun!

Also I think 2022 was a great year in terms of played games , not as many rants from my side compared to 2021. Maybe I learned to pick my games better (not really)

Anyway, looking forward to it. Ties with Christmas as the best yearly event xD 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

(slight apology to @det_gittes here - you've had a priority request in for a while, I know! - I really am trying to get that Red Dead review done, but it's one that's taking a while to pull together! I want to get this batch out before the Super Scientific Awards, so I'm fully caught up with the new games, so despite having worked on it a bit, I'm leaving Red Dead until next time!)

That's completely fine, no worries, and thanks for the heads-up!

In the meantime, I can't wait to read with great interest your review of this underrated masterpiece, Albedo: Eyes from Outer Space ? I actually played it years ago, though from what I remember (which isn't much), I didn't pay much attention to the intricacies of the story... Let's see whether you've unearthed a hidden (well, at least to my eyes) layer of meaning & enjoyment in it ?

• Like 2

As always, thanks for writing those - always pleasure to read, especially since our opinions usually appear to line up! :D

Random thoughts: 

-I recall Unravel having some pro-union, working class type back story as well, but that might have been me overthinking. I agree it is a gorgeous game, one I recommend to everyone. That being said, I haven’t found anyone to try and challenge the sequel’s platinum with me (i.e. the kids aren’t into it), but it certainly looks just as good!

-Albedo is just one up from the bottom of my list (occupied by Zeus Quest). I don’t even recall all that much of it, except a weird irritation when I see its name… I think I might have blocked it off due to PTSD. :D

-I tried not to read too much of your comments on Tunic as I want to go in blind, but happy you enjoyed it!

Looking forward to your rankings!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, visighost said:

As always, thanks for writing those - always pleasure to read, especially since our opinions usually appear to line up! :D

Thanks dude!

Random thoughts: 

-I recall Unravel having some pro-union, working class type back story as well, but that might have been me overthinking. I agree it is a gorgeous game, one I recommend to everyone. That being said, I haven’t found anyone to try and challenge the sequel’s platinum with me (i.e. the kids aren’t into it), but it certainly looks just as good!

Yeah - odd one with Unravel 2 - I was totally up for it, but for whatever reason, MsBloodmoney wasn’t much enamoured of the first one, and with it being co-op, I ended up kind of side-lining it as a result…

…a pity, but with co-op focussed games, you really need both people to be enthusiastic, or it could end up being a chore!

-Albedo is just one up from the bottom of my list (occupied by Zeus Quest). I don’t even recall all that much of it, except a weird irritation when I see its name… I think I might have blocked it off due to PTSD. :D

Ha - man, a part of me really wants to defend Albedo, since I really do like some of the things it was aiming to do… but good lord, did it miss the mark on a lot of them! ?

-I tried not to read too much of your comments on Tunic as I want to go in blind, but happy you enjoyed it!

Oh - definitely go in blind if it’s already a game in your crosshairs - it’s a hell of a game, and I definitely benefitted from knowing nothing when I played it!

3 minutes ago, Hitman_Spinksy1 said:

I really enjoyed the read on Ragnarok. So much more in depth than my review but I agree 100% with everything you say. A brilliant game just not mind blowing the whole way through and failed to live up to 2018 as something new and fresh

Cheers dude! Yeah, still a fantastic game, of course, but just not quite able to catch lightning in a bottle a second time around!

That’s a tall order though - and I still cannot say enough good things about those Odin, Mimir and Freya performances!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

L35515e.png

Knack

Summary: 

Released in 2013 as a lunch game for the PS4,  

1f6a8.pngSPECIAL NOTE1f6a8.png1f6a8.png

If there are any specific games anyone wants to see get ranked sooner rather than later - drop a message, and I'll mark them for 'Priority Ranking'! 1f913.png

The only stipulation is that they must be on my profile, at 100% (S-Rank)....

and aren't already on the Rankings! 263a.png

i didn't know Knack was a game the ps4 had for lunch, i thought it was just a mediocre launch title

joking aside

i notimate never ending nightmares because it has 4 trophies lol https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/4691-neverending-nightmares/DrBloodmoney

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 11:34 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Overall, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is a smart, fun, well put together and endlessly charming little co-op chaos simulator, that has settings for all levels, caters to all combinations of players, and has entertainment for all, without wearing out its welcome.

Think that is an extremely reasonable assessment of the game. ?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, serrated-banner9 said:

i didn't know Knack was a game the ps4 had for lunch, i thought it was just a mediocre launch title

? Well, there's always going to be some spelling errors in these - but that is a good one.

The perils of writing in batches of this size, is the forum software won't let you edit it afterwards.

55 minutes ago, serrated-banner9 said:

i notimate never ending nightmares because it has 4 trophies lol https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/4691-neverending-nightmares/DrBloodmoney

Already on the list - at current Number 287, reviewed in Batch 15.

• 2 weeks later...