DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

Great award list!

I've never bothered to plat RE:Village, mostly because of what you mention. The Heisenberg boss is terrible (not that his character was great to begin with). He feels like a reject Metal Gear boss to me; he has all the idiocy of the worst of Kojima's creations (terrible voice actor, stupid lines, dumb-looking final form), but none of their inspiration or fun mechanics.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Great award list!

I've never bothered to plat RE:Village, mostly because of what you mention. The Heisenberg boss is terrible (not that his character was great to begin with). He feels like a reject Metal Gear boss to me; he has all the idiocy of the worst of Kojima's creations (terrible voice actor, stupid lines, dumb-looking final form), but none of their inspiration or fun mechanics.

absolutely, 100% correct on Heisenberg - feels like a reject from some PS3 era Metal-Gear B-Game "also-ran".

Strange they went that route, because they do so well with bosses usually (and even elsewhere in this same game!), but yeah... a pity!

• Like 1

I'll read through this in more details when I'm not working, but I can already say that there doesn't appear to be anything in there I disagree with!

Re: Chicory and its theme(s), I found the inclusion of imposter syndrome (which I certainly have) to be very well tackled. I don't know of very many games that have tried it. Perhaps the magnificent Wandersong or the quite-good-as-well Underhero...

Edited by visighost
  • Like 1

Hot shit on a ham sandwich, what a great awards post??

Truth be told, I almost succumbed to the "I'll post later" urge, but so many games nominated reminded me that I been slackin on my scientific participation lately. No, we do this now!

GOOD-GOLD.jpgL95a6c4.png

1ST RUNNER UP: Outer Wilds
(Reviewed in BATCH 35)

I get more and more excited to play this one. It's in that category of backlogged game where it isn't so much that you're putting it off or forgetting about it, but rather saving it for when you think it'll hit just right. Does that make sense? I'm so wack?

GOOD-BRONZE.jpgLa74f05.png

3RD RUNNER UP: Inscryption
(Reviewed in BATCH 50)

FIRMLY in the mental backlog and one of those I'll be scanning for in every sale. A particularly good sale, though... I really gotta cut down on game expenditure next year!

BAD-PLATINUM.jpgL3bd38a.png

WINNER: Fear Effect Sedna
(Reviewed in BATCH 52)

Always tempting because of its obscenely meager price tag in seemingly every sale, but easy to avoid. As for the older ones....eh, don't bother. I played the original on PS1 way back when, and even with its cool look and premise, as well as the whole "Hey there straight male teenage gamer, wanna watch two girls take a shower??" (I did), it was still unable to hold my interest for long. A potentially dope franchise eternally doomed by poor execution, it seems!

Also, "A fascinating exercise in failure..." now that's an opener??

GOOD-BRONZE.jpgL5ab6ff.png

3RD RUNNER UP: The Forgotten City
(Reviewed in BATCH 35)

This one is gonna be in more than a few year end posts, ain't it... fuck, what a good game!

GOOD-SILVER.jpgLf47617.png

2ND RUNNER UP: Life is Strange: Before the Storm
(Reviewed in BATCH 37)

Between being unable to read your write-up and seeing it so prevalent here... yeah, I need to play these games.

GOOD-PLATINUM.jpgL7ee136.png

WINNER: Manifold Garden
(Reviewed in BATCH 42)

This was on sale pretty much right after I read about it in Batch 42. I came this close to buying it and I did not. Regret.

GOOD-SILVER.jpgL668342.png

2ND RUNNER UP: The Artful Escape
(Reviewed in BATCH 36)

???

GOOD-PLATINUM.jpgLe7476d.png

WINNER: Sayonara Wild Hearts
(Reviewed in BATCH 35)

Did I comment on this one?? Why do I not remember it? Hopefully my senility isn't ahead of schedule...

Synth pop bangers by Swede lookin names? All I need to hear. I'd better buy it before I forget, and look down at my hand and see a half eaten piece of toast I didn't even realize I'd been eating.

GOOD-GOLD.jpgLe30f9f.png

1ST RUNNER UP: The Longest Road on Earth
(Reviewed in BATCH 40)

Okay, this one I DO remember (phew)! Placement solidified!

GOOD-GOLD.jpgL48b64a.png

1ST RUNNER UP: Unpacking
(Reviewed in BATCH 43)

Another one I've recently purchased and am excited to get into! Might be first when I'm done with the PS3, I expect to be in some serious need of a nice chill game.

BAD-PLATINUM.jpgL41b327.png

WINNER: Best Month Ever!
(Reviewed in BATCH 49)

I REMEMBER WHAT A BUMMER THIS WAS TO READ ABOUT. I can only imagine how it felt to actually play! Unfortunately, it does seem deserving of Trent Reznor's crown of shit?

GOOD-PLATINUM.jpgL0cfa4a.png

WINNER: Resident Evil VII: Biohazard
(Reviewed in BATCH 45)

I suspect I'll feel the same way whenever I eventually get around to playing this one!

....but not 6, I am never playing 6, I don't care if I own it. It's caused pain to too many of my friends - and not the fun kind!

12-GET-THIS-PLAYED.jpg

Dude literally every game in this category had me like "ooh, yup... I like that, that sounds sweet. I should play that, shouldn't I?" so I couldn't zero in on just one. These all look so tantalizing.

But... then it reminds me of how many games I've already got to play, and how many of which you're directly responsible for!

You know what, Doc?? You suck!! And anybody else who has the audacity to recommend good games that keep our backlogs growing sucks too!! They're menaces to PSN and terrible people in general!!

GREMLIN-PLATINUM.jpgaafcbeba260643308f5274f4b7056f7b.png.119f925085dabca64703844fa641ab38.png

WINNER: @YaManSmevz - 4 Games

Oh! Um... what was I saying?

L40c068.pngLd99238.pngL59fae4.pngL6a2315.png

My Memory of Us / UnMetal / Islanders / Resident Evil (remake)

Thanks dawg? I am super appreciative of the nod and the kind words, but most of all am super excited to hear your thoughts on these games!! I was borderline little girl squeal level of happy when I saw that you enjoyed Islanders, so for the rest, particularly Resident Evil, I'll have my fingers crossed and eyes out for the write-ups!

hail-science-futurama.gif

Indeed!

Fantastic work homie, I'm already looking forward to next year's??

• Like 2

Can I just say that overall 2022 was a great year for videogames? I don't mean released games (although I can't complain in that department either), but for games that we played?

I mean, even the turdiest of turds weren't as stinky as before xD 

Congrats for another bountiful year! Honestly, reason why December is one of the best months is because of all the retrospectives :D 

Now, for the quoting

1-BEST-GAME.jpg

An easy, statistical one to start with (But the biggest in grandeur, of course!) - this award is based on placement on the current rankings - essentially the top 4 games on the list, in order, if only this years played games are considered.

There is, after all, a reason these games ranked so highly - and here, we celebrate it!

GOOD-PLATINUM.jpgLf29caa.png

WINNER: Elden Ring

Was there any doubt even? This game absolutely blew everything away this year, the quality has been astounding. And no, it wasn't a perfect game (no Fromsoft game is) but the things this game managed to accomplish--actually you know what? You're right, this is GOTY, I will keep my words for my own awards, cause whoopdedoo guess who is gonna win the GOTY on my pastures?

All I am saying, finding secrets and sharing them via status update is what made this game's first playthrough amazing xD Goddamn Blaidd took forever to find

GOOD-PLATINUM.jpgLf0840c.png

WINNER: Curse of the Dead Gods
(Reviewed in BATCH 36)

If I am going to add a category called "top 10 reasons of wallet abuse", imma put you in top 3 Doc. You recommended a crapton of games xD and out of all the ones I purchased, this one was still the best. Absolutely loved it + finding the damn strategies for each area <3 

Minus the Elite Bestiary completion, as you mentioned it already. That was too much work.

Really, what this award is, is "How fast would I hit the purchase button if I heard there was a sequel!".

GOOD-PLATINUM.jpgL6a1c5d.png

WINNER: Kena: Bridge of Spirits
(Reviewed in BATCH 35)

Due to super time constraints, I haven't gotten to playing this but I swear I am onto it! I really want to play Kena ESPECIALLY since people complained about difficulty, calling it "Souls-like even" 

:awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome:

Yeah anyway I am looking forward to playing it

Why haven't I played this before? Runner up

GOOD-GOLD.jpgL96915b.png

1ST RUNNER UP: Doki Doki Literature Club+
(Reviewed in BATCH 43)

I played this game when it first showed up for free on Steam...This took me by surprise in a million ways xD 

Especially the "final puzzle solution" if i can call it like this...High school life is amazing like that <3 

My god what a game ? can't say more, because anything can be considered spoiler at this point.

Sadly, I can't say I played the other games from the list, but I 100% enjoyed the read ? I agree with all your takes in advance ? so far I don't think we disagreed on games (one exception being Horse Simulator 2000)

Now I should get back to writing my own list! Here's to an even more glorious 2023 !

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

BAD-PLATINUM.jpgL41b327.png

WINNER: Best Month Ever!
(Reviewed in BATCH 49)

An absurdly top-heavy list, nearly every trophy in Best Month Ever! can (and most likely will,) be unlocked in the first playthrough... however, the final one - for seeing every ending - requires a whopping 9 endings to be seen, most of which require a full new playthrough to unlock, and many of which have such similar statistical requirements for the three measures of "play style" (righteousness, relations and confidence) that actually achieving one, and not the other is a matter of pure guesswork... and has virtually no distinction in terms of game content or reveal.

Factor in the fact that there are finite opportunities to increase or decrease each measure, and the unintended reductions some have when increasing others, and the game goes very quickly form a natural, flowing narrative, to a tiresome, repetitive, mechanical plod through a series of never-variable-enough scenes, trying to stitch together the correct mathematical formula to result in one of the 9 different minor changes in the ending monologue.

I very recently 100%ed this game, and I'm about to play Devil's Advocate for the that one endings trophy. 

Now I wouldn't blame anyone who played the game for missing this detail, online I was only able to find one guide mentioning it: but Mitch's Karma saves even after the game is completed and can be change by replaying chapters in what is effectively "Karma Farming." The one guide I had found had picked out extremely poor farming locations for confidence to compound my problems finding info. Despite all that, for myself the trophy only would take about 5 extra hours (mostly the 9 runs of the last chapter) rather than the 9 play-throughs.

My frustration with the lack of good information is what lead me to come out of my guide writing retirement(?), to actually have an easy to find source of information on this trophy. (My guide

Un-Devil's Advocate now, I don't actually like the game, I found it super disappointing too, and the "Farming" felt more like an oversight than a feature. But regardless, the list is at least a quarter as bad as you think it is with this time saver... probably still very bad though tbf.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, breakingthegreen said:

I very recently 100%ed this game, and I'm about to play Devil's Advocate for the that one endings trophy. 

Now I wouldn't blame anyone who played the game for missing this detail, online I was only able to find one guide mentioning it: but Mitch's Karma saves even after the game is completed and can be change by replaying chapters in what is effectively "Karma Farming." The one guide I had found had picked out extremely poor farming locations for confidence to compound my problems finding info. Despite all that, for myself the trophy only would take about 5 extra hours (mostly the 9 runs of the last chapter) rather than the 9 play-throughs.

My frustration with the lack of good information is what lead me to come out of my guide writing retirement(?), to actually have an easy to find source of information on this trophy. (My guide

Un-Devil's Advocate now, I don't actually like the game, I found it super disappointing too, and the "Farming" felt more like an oversight than a feature. But regardless, the list is at least a quarter as bad as you think it is with this time saver... probably still very bad though tbf.

Interesting... yeah, I must admit - I did wonder how much that ending grind could be cut down with a good guide - at the time though, I didn't have any kind of guide I could find - TBH, the best I found was a text list of what each "outcome" career path / life story could be... and had to basically trial and error my way through the full game each time, figuring out which combo would lead to which...

...it was pretty disheartening to get the same one 3 times in a row!

Admittedly, I don't tend to guide for the first few times anyways, but I do wonder, with a good guide, it might not have WON this category... but I suspect it would still have made a showing!

Congrats of the guide though - I know those are a power of work, and it's great seeing one done for smaller games like this one - I so WANTED to like this game.... it just wouldn't let me! ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Congrats of the guide though - I know those are a power of work, and it's great seeing one done for smaller games like this one - I so WANTED to like this game.... it just wouldn't let me! 1f602.png

Thanks, but for that game it was pretty easy to write the guide since most of the trophies were "play the game" or "play the game well." I legitimately spent more time writing up the content warning than guides for most of the trophies.

I had paper notes I had written to get that last trophy and I was about to put the paper in the recycling and thought, "I'm not letting this work go to waste." Long story short, I wrote the guide solely for that one goddamn trophy since I got quite grumpy about the lack of information.

16 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Admittedly, I don't tend to guide for the first few times anyways,

Same, I got the low courage, low morals ending first time, (it also didn't help that I couldn't see the icons in the corner at any point when I played.)

Edited by breakingthegreen
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

I get more and more excited to play this one. It's in that category of backlogged game where it isn't so much that you're putting it off or forgetting about it, but rather saving it for when you think it'll hit just right. Does that make sense? I'm so wack?

That makes absolute sense to me - and especially with a game like Outer Wilds - it's more what I'd call "an experience" than a game really - and one that needs the player to be in the right mood, for sure!

In Outer Wilds case - it's closer to the feeling of wanting to settle in for a great book, than a traditional game, because the actual controlling is never the issue... but losing yourself in a mystery is a serious issue, that needs some time set aside!

FIRMLY in the mental backlog and one of those I'll be scanning for in every sale. A particularly good sale, though... I really gotta cut down on game expenditure next year!

Haha - don't worry - if I see Inscryption going on a sale at some point, you'd better believe I'll be shouting about it to everyone I know! ?

Synth pop bangers by Swede lookin names? All I need to hear. I'd better buy it before I forget, and look down at my hand and see a half eaten piece of toast I didn't even realize I'd been eating.

Dude! Totally go for it - what a weird, awesome game! 

Sayonara Wild Hearts is just a game designed to put a smile on your face. Plain and simple... and that soundtrack is dope!

I suspect I'll feel the same way whenever I eventually get around to playing this one!

....but not 6, I am never playing 6, I don't care if I own it. It's caused pain to too many of my friends - and not the fun kind!

This, I full endorse. RE6 isn't even the "well, I gotta at least see" kind of bad.... it's just... alarmingly, crushingly disappointing. 

REVII though - holy smokes!

Thanks dawg? I am super appreciative of the nod and the kind words, but most of all am super excited to hear your thoughts on these games!! I was borderline little girl squeal level of happy when I saw that you enjoyed Islanders, so for the rest, particularly Resident Evil, I'll have my fingers crossed and eyes out for the write-ups!

No, thank you - I already have 3 out of 4 purchased, one in the wishlist, one bought... and I've made the promise to myself that I WILL be doing that RE1 remake this year!

20 hours ago, Copanele said:

Can I just say that overall 2022 was a great year for videogames? I don't mean released games (although I can't complain in that department either), but for games that we played?

I mean, even the turdiest of turds weren't as stinky as before xD 

Congrats for another bountiful year! Honestly, reason why December is one of the best months is because of all the retrospectives :D 

Hell yeah you can!

This was a heck of a year for me - having to drop the "Nope!" award is the happiest I've ever been to be forced to do extra work in these awards - even the worst stuff in this years crop was still worthwhile in some sense (for the most part.... *casts judgemental side-eye at Fear Effect*

Now, for the quoting

Was there any doubt even? This game absolutely blew everything away this year, the quality has been astounding. And no, it wasn't a perfect game (no Fromsoft game is) but the things this game managed to accomplish--actually you know what? You're right, this is GOTY, I will keep my words for my own awards, cause whoopdedoo guess who is gonna win the GOTY on my pastures?

All I am saying, finding secrets and sharing them via status update is what made this game's first playthrough amazing xD Goddamn Blaidd took forever to find

It's funny that I really thought of 2022 as "the year I didn't play much big AAA"... yet it was also the year of Elden Ring - which is one of the biggest, most "everyone is talking about it" releases ever... it just managed to be both massive and "AAA", yet not feel "AAA" in any of the negative ways!

A hell of a game!

If I am going to add a category called "top 10 reasons of wallet abuse", imma put you in top 3 Doc. You recommended a crapton of games xD and out of all the ones I purchased, this one was still the best. Absolutely loved it + finding the damn strategies for each area <3 

Minus the Elite Bestiary completion, as you mentioned it already. That was too much work.

I credit you with CotDG getting on this list - before you picked it up, it was one of those "I must be crazy, no one else has even tried this, but it seems awesome...?" kind of games... but between you and Finch playing it, and then PS+ inclusion, I got to actually see that it wasn't just that I was nuts.... It actually is that good!

Due to super time constraints, I haven't gotten to playing this but I swear I am onto it! I really want to play Kena ESPECIALLY since people complained about difficulty, calling it "Souls-like even" 

:awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome:

Yeah anyway I am looking forward to playing it

Haha - well, dude, I certainly think Kena proves some Souls-stuff making it further afield than it ever has - and it's a great game - but I won't lie: You'll smash through that game with ease.

It's not quite souls-level tough - even on that Master Difficulty. It's no joke for sure, and waaaaay more brutal than you'd expect for the type of game... but it's not quite as tough as all that.

I suspect you'll finish, and be like "yeah, so?" ?

Sadly, I can't say I played the other games from the list, but I 100% enjoyed the read 1f607.png I agree with all your takes in advance 1f602.png so far I don't think we disagreed on games (one exception being Horse Simulator 2000)

Argo FTW!

who needs good controls, when you have such majestic camera work?

No one! That's who! ?

Now I should get back to writing my own list! Here's to an even more glorious 2023 !

Get 'er done man - I got a Backlog Gremlin 2023 list to start filling out! ?

• Like 2

I feel like I both agree and disagree with you on Village. I agree the first few hours are definitely the best but I actually liked the character of Heisenberg and felt like he deserved more screen time. However, I do agree that he was poorly written and through most of the game he's generally forgotten about and he's supposed to be the right hand man and last step to Miranda (who I also dont think was a great final boss).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, slicknick3822 said:

I feel like I both agree and disagree with you on Village. I agree the first few hours are definitely the best but I actually liked the character of Heisenberg and felt like he deserved more screen time. However, I do agree that he was poorly written and through most of the game he's generally forgotten about and he's supposed to be the right hand man and last step to Miranda (who I also dont think was a great final boss).

For sure I wasn't a fan of Heisenberg, but I do admit - the reason I think he seemed so ineffectual, was just that none of the bosses in that game come close to Lady D in terms of threat or personality... so having her be the first one is a bit peculiar!

I do think if the game went from Heisenberg, to Moreau, to House Beneviento, to a finale in Castle Dimitrescu... with Lady D as Miranda's "right hand man" it would have flowed much better - and would have felt much more of a true "ramp" in terms of quality - and would have set the player up to finish on a bang, rather than a bit of a whimper!

• Like 3

Incredible writing as usual, Doc! I had to skim through certain parts bc you've got a couple of games on there that I either haven't finished or gotten around to yet but thanks so much for the mention, I think its so cool how much effort you put into everything. Even down to the images you make for things! You really go above and beyond for us all ? 

I know I said it before but I'm so happy you enjoyed Doki Doki! I can't wait to see you get around to the other recs one day. Stardew Valley especially is a good one to just relax in between other more stressful games xD

Also, sorry about confusing you with the name change lmao I had been wanting to change it for a while but I don't plan on doing it again!

Honestly you've become one of my favorite people on this site. Here's to another year of (hopefully) great games!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Billie__227 said:

Incredible writing as usual, Doc! I had to skim through certain parts bc you've got a couple of games on there that I either haven't finished or gotten around to yet but thanks so much for the mention, I think its so cool how much effort you put into everything. Even down to the images you make for things! You really go above and beyond for us all ? 

I know I said it before but I'm so happy you enjoyed Doki Doki! I can't wait to see you get around to the other recs one day. Stardew Valley especially is a good one to just relax in between other more stressful games xD

Also, sorry about confusing you with the name change lmao I had been wanting to change it for a while but I don't plan on doing it again!

Honestly you've become one of my favorite people on this site. Here's to another year of (hopefully) great games!

Thanks Billie!

I appreciate that... and I appreciate the recommends! Doki Doki was a great one - and I've got World's End Syndrome and Stardew bought already, for future play!

• Like 2

2622.png2622.pngSUPER SCIENTIFIC UPDATE2622.png2622.png

Over the festive period, Science shall once again enter....

AEFB198-E-7-ED6-4-F85-904-A-AEF157082-FA6.jpg

Over the next few weeks, I'll be playing games a fair amount no doubt, and will like be on this site plenty... (there's only so many different ways to distract from compulsory family visit times, and using a phone is the primary one! 1f61c.png)... but will likely not have the free alone time to do much in the way of reviews.

As such, my plan is to just play away, build up a fair few new reviews, then in the new year, I'll do a batch or two to catch up on those, before getting back into the swing of the older reviews and the few outstanding requests!

• Like 3

On 19/12/2022 at 8:35 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

This is the award for a game sounding great. That might be due to great music, or great voice work, or excellent foley work, or some combination, but these games just sound the business!

GOOD-BRONZE.jpgLdab14f.png

3RD RUNNER UP: God of War: Ragnarok

It's a work-horse of a game, very good, but not quite excellent enough to make the top 4 in almost any specific category. (Oddly, despite its near absence on these awards, I suspect that if my awards had a "5th place" spot, it very well might be the most represented game overall!)

More than that though, the voice work in the game is top notch. There is a metric-fuck-tonne of dialogue in the game, all exceptionally well delivered, and the vocal performances, (with one notable exception - that of Tir - who feels wildly miscast as an ageing Surf-bro hippie,) are incredibly good. Kratos sounds like the ageing, weary warrior  he is, Freya sounds broken and destroyed... and special props have to go to the phenomenal performance by Richard Schiff as Odin.

Playing him as a put-upon, Tony-Soprano-meets-Toby-Ziegler crime-family boss is a masterstroke of conceptual writing, however, that left-field decision could have gone awry very easily, were it not for the seems-strange-but-actually-perfect casting of Schiff. Providing both the character model, and the performance, Schiff's Odin is - and I don't say this lightly - potentially the best, most interesting, and most nuanced character portrayal in any modern, big-budget videogame. 

All AAA games take note - you don't need to go big to stand out - sometimes, and understated performance is the most indelible!

Okay. I admit it: once in a blue moon... I... *ahem* skip a Bloodmoney review.

Yes. It's true. ?

Because spoilers are the devilish handiwork of Jim Ryan. And I haven't played Ragnarok yet. So to read that it just missed out on so many runner-up spots and that the performances are this strong bodes so well for my pending experience. Exciting.

9-IMPROVE.jpg

Probably my favourite part of the awards!

All the best narrative games know - don't make the trophies force the players hand in narrative decisions! 
Life is Strange knows it, Telltale know it - they understand that forcing the player to replay an emotion-based narrative harms the impact. 
Just ask David Cage, who routinely injures his own games in this fashion - but at least his games change significantly with each change of decision.

PREACH IT.

Guardians of the Galaxy is about fun, excitement, flying by the seat of your pants, and having a wild ride. The collectible clean-up of the game feels like filling in a tax return under a buzzing fluorescent light - and ends what was a fun rollercoaster, with an alarming and disappointingly wet fart.

?

Instead of killing a target in some deadly and ridiculous manner, here, the "assassin" is a naughty goose, intent on causing chaos in a quaint country village... but the actual mechanics are broadly, oddly similar. Plate spinning balance of distraction techniques and trap-setting, learning NPC patterns and reactions to stimuli, a delicate clockwork-patchwork of interactions and timing-based stealth... Untitled Goose Game's various challenges are tantamount to Hitman in a variety of ways!

Spicy take!

A really sad statement - as Backbone is a game that needs to be experienced in full for a player to realise why it's good - a curious, interesting narrative, a bleak and stifling noire tone, some KILLER pixel-art visuals, and a well-fleshed-out world combine to paper over a few gameplay cracks and trophy issues, and make for a game that is easy to recommend...

...so consider it recommended - and get that player-count up!

I'm trying to get to it dude! I've been hyped about Backbone since I first saw the trailer... I guess the relative decreasing quality rating of other less-appealing games is pushing Backbone towards the backburner. Does that make sense?

I mean... expect Backbone to still shine in two to three years whereas the likes of Biomutant (for example) would be too greatly overshadowed to be appreciated as much. That means that my brain wants to play Biomutant (for example) first.

On 20/12/2022 at 3:27 AM, YaManSmevz said:

This is a thing!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

newtestsubjects.jpg

269b.png!!SCIENCE UPDATE!!269b.png

The next 5 (not at all!) randomly selected games to be submitted for scientific analysis shall be:

Heavenly Bodies
The Entropy Centre
System of Souls
Treasures of the Aegean
Faraday Protocol

Playing catch-up from the Festive Break, so still no Priority Rankings here, but I reckon there will be one more purely catch-up Batch after this next one, and then I should be back in the swing of things!

Can 'Current Most Awesome' game, Hitman 3, fend off all new adversaries?

Is gaming butt-plug LA Cops going to pop out and be replaced as 'Least Awesome Game'?

Let's find out, Science Chums!

I'm excited to see what you say about Heavenly Bodies. I have it but I haven't played it yet ? Might start it after your analysis no pressure tho

• Like 1

Haha, I’m sure clearing those off the review backlog felt good! Indeed not much that’s memorable in any of those (that I’ve played anyway). But hey, there’s something to be said for simple, mindless games in terms of pure relaxation! Especially in short bouts on the Vita.

Looking forward to the new batch! I enjoyed my time with Treasures of the Aegean though I never got really far - I was afraid a number of trophies would become unobtainable if I got too far in the loop, and there’s precious little information out there…

6 minutes ago, visighost said:

Haha, I’m sure clearing those off the review backlog felt good! Indeed not much that’s memorable in any of those (that I’ve played anyway). But hey, there’s something to be said for simple, mindless games in terms of pure relaxation! Especially in short bouts on the Vita.

I'm a whole new man ?

Looking forward to the new batch! I enjoyed my time with Treasures of the Aegean though I never got really far - I was afraid a number of trophies would become unobtainable if I got too far in the loop, and there’s precious little information out there…

It's very good!

As far as I know, nothing ever becomes unobtainable (I'm fairly confident in saying that, since I arsed about, not knowing what I was doing for a LOT of loops before I figured out what I was meant to be doing! ?) In fact, there are a few little things that will have permanent effects - but they are pretty much only small busy-work parts of the bigger puzzles (opening a door with a specific key, for example) which means you don't have to do it every time.

Other than that, the loop is pretty much stable - in fact, I haven't tested this but, I suspect that if you knew what you were doing, and had done the whole game, and figured out all the puzzles, you might actually be able to complete the game in the very first or second loop?

The only thing that would be impeding you, would be the time you have - since each collectible adds some extra time to your future loops, so you'd have to go like the clappers - but I bet there's someone out there with the parkour skills to do it!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

The Brevity Batch reminded me a lot of your earlier reviews, being about one to two paragraphs in length and focusing on describing each element of the game quickly and concisely. It also reminded me of a question I wanted to ask: have you ever thought about redoing some of your older reviews? Something like Transistor for example feels like it would've inspired a much longer review from you if it was done in batch 40 as opposed to batch 1.

Edited by grayhammmer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, grayhammmer said:

The Brevity Batch reminded me a lot of your earlier reviews, being about one to two paragraphs in length and focusing on describing each element of the game quickly and concisely. It also reminded me of a question I wanted to ask: have you ever thought about redoing some of your older reviews? Something like Transistor for example feels like it would've inspired a much longer review from you if it was done in batch 40 as opposed to batch 1.

Possibly a few of them, yeah - and Transistor would certainly be a candidate- thought I don’t think I’d do that until the full list was caught up - so maybe in 2025 or something ?

• Like 2