DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

6 hours ago, HelixNebula_x said:

@DrBloodmoney a great bunch of write ups as usual my man!

Cheers man!

6 hours ago, HelixNebula_x said:

Just a quick one, is TLoU Part 2 not eligible for a ranking because of the title update? I know you only tend to rate S Ranks and I can see you have the plat but not the extra trophies. If this is eligible, I would love to see your write up for it!

Keep up the good work!

Aye - I will eventually get TLOUpII on there - I just need to get around to playing those DLC modes, but it will get done eventually....

...he said, cavalierly ignoring the too rapid passage and finite nature of linear time...

• Like 1

Duuuuuuuuuuude... You Captain Ahabbed the shit out of Moby Tetris Dick!!! Very happy for you bud, that's quite the feat to celebrate! And such an eloquent write-up as per usual. I never get tired of reading these, just for the record!! Keep killing it out there Doc ?

Might I just add, it is very fun having you as part of the UR Challenge this year!! I had a slow year last year, but I plan on cranking it up more so this year. Looking forward to more updates from you my dude, cheers!

• Like 3

On 4/24/2021 at 1:42 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

People yelling at me

Seriously, if that were me I'd get my head checked, because I don't think anyone would like being yelled at. Then again, most content creators just get thick-skinned whenever they get flamed for their work. xD

Don't worry, I'd never do anything like that to you. You're prettty solid! ;)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Yeah, I wonder with Phoenix Wright - part of me thinks it would be right up your alley - given our shared love of mysteries like The Forgotten City

Oh no, he went and said THAT.

Wishlist updated. Sigh?

Ha-  I was bracing to get yelled at for not ranking it higher actually - I know Red Dead is one of those games a lot of folks cite as one of the GOATs - and it's definitely a beast of a game... I just think Rockstar's self-love is a little to strong to be completely nullified by any game... this one and Bully probably get the closest though!

As an admitted Rockstar fanboy... this is wholly accurate. "Hey, do you wanna use little mini-drones to blow stuff up?" Uh... I mean not really, no... "Well too bad, there's a mission where you have to deal with the shitty mechanic, IT WILL NOT BE IGNORED!!" What?? Ah dammit, well okay I guess as long as it's the one mi- "Also if you wanna REALLY complete the game, there's like three more of those for you to do. HAH!"

This is why so many people just blow each other up and call it a day.

Facts on Bully man, it has an odd distinction of being widely loved and yet still feeling a touch underrated. Maybe I need to get on with Red Dead 2 so I can make a Rockstar tier list. Only thing I'd be missing would be Max Payne 3?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, The Devils Reaper said:

Good to see you're still going strong with this, doc! It's turned into a mecca of great recommendations for games!

Huge congrats on Tetris Effect btw! Seriously impressive stuff 1f44a.png

Hey, thanks man! - and good to see you around these parts again! 

• Like 2

On 1.2.2023 at 11:35 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

L8deb0e.png

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy

I see my request for scientific examination has been heeded. So let's see whether I have to Object! or will find the exposition cogent.

In terms of gameplay, the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney games are curious beasts.

They are, as said, primarily visual novels, but this is hybridised with some Adventure Game mechanics.

Small objection here, although I realize I'm in the minority here.

The Ace Attorney games are commonly classified as VNs, but that is a view that, I believe, diminishes the value of the classification. Lumping Phoenix Wright (or Danganronpa, or Zero Escape) into the same category as Code: Realize, Steins;Gate, Hakuoki or Our World Is Ended lessens the expressive value of the label "Visual Novel". Would a player who likes Muv-Luv find enjoyment in Root Double? Probably. Would a player who likes Deponia find enjoyment in Phoenix Wright? Probably. But crosswise? Less certain.

To my mind, the Adventure mechanics of Phoenix Wright is the dominant part, and that there is much text to read merely a secondary aspect. But of course, I realize that this seems to be a minority opinion, with the game being considered a VN quite widely.

they have the feel of being much more interactive, and of the player having much more agency in the narrative, than they actually do.

Indeed. The games does it mostly right by giving the player the feel of more control. It is sort of the opposite of Root Letter (Available for Scientific Ranking? Checking... No, sadly.), where the player is given the illusion of choice, but in reality has to examine places and interrogate people in a precisely predetermined way.

I believe in the first case there were bad cases of scripted and unforseeable events; the player had investigated everywhere and talked to everyone, but the gameplay did not continue; so the solution was to revisit every place again and talk to everyone again until by chance some new plot hook appeared which set a flag for the game to continue. When I first played the game without any expectation, this put me off, but the later cases did not exhibit such mis-design.

That can be irksome, if the player is sure they do know what happened in the case, but is simply being stymied by the wording of the questions...

Yes, this is correct. In fact, on occasion I found myself reduced to the last health point (or whatever you want to call it) in a trial and had to look up a solution (or save-and-reload) to carry on only to find that the required solution did not quite fit the presentation; and when I resort to a guide, that's always a bad sign for an Adventure game.

The characters might move on to the next case, but the events of the previous one remain in their memories - and in some of the best cases, actually factor into the storytelling of future ones...
It also manages to maintain ongoing character dynamics, and long-form story arcs that weave throughout the individual "one-and-done" cases - and these work very well. Because the characters - both friends and antagonists - are all distinct, have particular personalities, eccentricities and foibles, and there is consistency of through-line across episodes, across games, and even across the series

Agreed. Although some characters were more annoying than they probably were designed to be, the continuity is a great advantage of the series.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy is easily the best way to experience what is a heck of an opening salvo from a really great, really fun, impressively memorable and genuinely well written franchise.

Indeed.

I find myself agreeing to most of your points. And I can only second the recommendation of the Great Ace Attornes Chronicles, it retains the charm and the good points of the trilogy, and combines it with technical and QoL advances.

Good to see it has found a reasonably high spot in the rankings!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, starcrunch061 said:

Gotta say - I love this thread. But (perhaps unwittingly), I have a perverse curiosity to play your "floor" game, LA Cops. While I'm not insane enough to review all of my games, The Caligula Effect makes a pretty good floor for me, and I'm honestly interested in whether LA Cops could "top" it.

?

That is the danger with an absolutist list, isn’t it? - the bottom one, you’re not only saying “this is bad”… but almost “this is so bad y’all gotta see!”

I don’t know The Caligula Effect… but I’d be shocked into submission if it was worse than that turd was though! ?

Just now, DrBloodmoney said:

1f602.png

That is the danger with an absolutist list, isn’t it? - the bottom one, you’re not only saying “this is bad”… but almost “this is so bad y’all gotta see!”

I don’t know The Caligula Effectbut I’d be shocked into submission if it was worse than that turd was though1f602.png

Don't find it. Please. Don't find out.

• Like 1

On 2023-01-24 at 10:31 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

La37889.png

Norco

Summary: 

*snip*

Not sure how I missed this review until now.

Contrary to @YaManSmevz though your reviews aren't affecting my backlog as I had already picked it up a few weeks back and am doing a fantastic job all on my own at making sure I will never be able to play/complete every game I have bought in this lifetime. It looks interesting and I needed an Orange colour game for the Kaleidoscope challenge. What your reviews are good at are pushing games to the top of the play next table as Im more excited to start this one up soon as I just have to experience it for myself.

• Like 2

Just now, gruffiiti said:

Not sure how I missed this review until now.

Contrary to @YaManSmevz though your reviews aren't affecting my backlog as I had already picked it up a few weeks back and am doing a fantastic job all on my own at making sure I will never be able to play/complete every game I have bought in this lifetime. It looks interesting and I needed an Orange colour game for the Kaleidoscope challenge. What your reviews are good at are pushing games to the top of the play next table as Im more excited to start this one up soon as I just have to experience it for myself.

Hey - if I can sell someone on Norco, or even just elevate it through their backlog to nearer the top, I call that a victory!

For me, for them, and for awesome games in general! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Can 'Current Most Awesome' game, Hitman 3, continue its glorious reign?

Smart money is on an easy yes.

5 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

The next (somewhat) randomly selected games to be submitted for scientific analysis shall be:

Legacy

Puyo Puyo Tetris

Curious about this one.  I am intrigued by the Tetris, but IDK if I want any part of the Puyo Puyo.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Together_Comic said:

Smart money is on an easy yes.

Well, I'll be doing a Mini-Science for the Freelancer mode soonish, and believe me - if Hitman was untouchable before, now, it has pretty much suit-only, silently assassinated all competition!

23 minutes ago, Together_Comic said:

Curious about this one.  I am intrigued by the Tetris, but IDK if I want any part of the Puyo Puyo.

It's an interesting one - I won't prejudge the science, but I will say this: After going back and playing a little bit for the review... I may have immediately bought Puyo Puyo Tetris 2.... ?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

The Quarry
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)

The wife is excited for The Quarry, given how it's just appeared on PS Plus Extra and she loved Until Dawn so will be interested to see how you rated that one!

As for CoD, I've had that sat in my PS4 for way too long! lol It's in my next 5 big games to play. Wait, it'll probably be in the next ten. Make me get to it quicker Doc! lol

• Like 1

I saw you finished Golf Club Wasteland. I thought it was wild how within days of discovering that game myself, I happened to visit your profile from a forum post and saw you were playing it. I absolutely loved the soundtrack and atmosphere of that game. 

How did you happen to come across it?

I was searching for golf games coming off of Hot Shots 1 and initially wasn't going to play it based on it being a 2D-trajectory type game but then I saw the platinum trophy had my name in it (in reference to the real Ryder Cup) and I knew I had to platinum it. It's not everyday you get that type of representation. ?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Long-Ryde said:

I saw you finished Golf Club Wasteland. I thought it was wild how within days of discovering that game myself, I happened to visit your profile from a forum post and saw you were playing it. I absolutely loved the soundtrack and atmosphere of that game. 

How did you happen to come across it?

I was searching for golf games coming off of Hot Shots 1 and initially wasn't going to play it based on it being a 2D-trajectory type game but then I saw the platinum trophy had my name in it (in reference to the real Ryder Cup) and I knew I had to platinum it. It's not everyday you get that type of representation. 1f602.png

That was one where I noticed it in the store while just casually browsing, then realised that I had actually heard a little about it back when it initially released (on phones, I think?) years ago, via the Giant Bombcast.

That actually happens quite a lot - I'll hear about a game on a podcast or something, think it sounds interesting, then forget all about it... and ages later, I'll happen to stumble across it, and remember hearing some positive stuff ages ago, and just take a punt on the strength of that!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

When I saw you mention House Flipper in your Hardspace segment I went to your profile page to see if you had played it.

I typed in House and saw the incomplete House of the Dead Overkill (Which I imagine will stay incomplete given that you last played it in 2013) and the 5 episodes for Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse. I then thought "Well, I imagine combining the five separate lists into one review would bring the legacy reviews count down by 5, thus expediting the process somewhat."

And that is my thought process for why I am now requesting the analysis of Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse Episodes 1 through 5, I hope it made sense.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

results.jpg

1f4c9.png1f913.png NEW SCIENTIFIC RESULTS ARE IN! 1f913.png1f4c8.png

The new science journal is here - rejoice!

science-thomas-dolby.gif

L3eef89.png

Puyo Puyo Tetris

Not the Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine reference!!

I never actually played that, I just remember reading an EGM review of it when I was a kid. What can I say, I was a nerd then and I'm a nerd now.

Lumines has been on the list for a minute, but lately you've been reminding me how much I love Tetris...one of these days I'll scratch that itch.

L3ce357.png

Golf Club Wasteland

Ah, the color debate game!!

I'm not entirely sure this would be for me, but I love a good light comedy/dark setting pairing. The way you describe the atmosphere is quite appealing, and Radio Nostalgia from Mars sounds outstanding!

I probably won't though. But I might. I-

....goddammit, Doc?

L16eef3.png

The Quarry

Yo this was a particularly excellent write-up, just wanna get that out of the way!

I've been curious about this game since well before the release, not just because I'm familiar with Supermassive, but c'mon, nobody is gonna mistake that 80s horror movie poster look!

I love that you enjoyed it, and you've all but guaranteed that I will grab this myself at some point. The idea of them smoothing out those narratively choppy moments is tremendous to me - I have so much respect for developers trying to make a game that combines a high enough level of interactivity to create multiple paths, but the integrity of every one of them making thematic sense. I am a bit disheartened to hear that the ending(s) aren't quite as satisfying as Until Dawn's, but there's no shame in that - personally, I felt those were very satisfying, namely the everyone lives/everyone dies endings!

Also I got mad love for Lin Shaye! It seemed for a while that whenever an intimidatingly unpleasant older woman was needed in a film, she took the call, and embodied those characters exceedingly well (though I feel somewhat insulting giving praise to that).

Lastly, i misread Bandersnatch as Baldersnatch, and wondered for a split second if this was some slang trying to be a vulgar version of 'balderdash.' My reading comprehension, man... it ain't all that?

L0cf211.png

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)

Woohoo!!

I'm quite glad you liked this (it's one of few CoDs I've taken a great liking to) and that you made it past the needlessly arduous installation process. That and the UI (particularly for Spec Ops) were atrocious, and you make me wish I'd mentioned it when I wrote about it.

I wish I'd warned you directly in fact, so sorry about that!

The conflicted politics aren't something that bothered me so much, but I think it's because I've developed such a loathing for the 'USA!! USA!!' mindset that these games can fall into that I'll happily take a conflicted and unresolved outlook over that. But you're absolutely right, it does muddy things up a bit when the writers don't seem to know what they're trying to say!

That's also a great point about the Spec Ops aspect, I couldn't put my finger on quite why it felt so vastly different from the campaign (in spite of being a sorta campaign itself), but that's exactly it - its got MP DNA!

And I'm 100% with you on the MP thing - Medal of Honor confirmed it for me, I just don't care about that stuff anymore!

Sorry man, I was a mouthy ass broad with this one?

• Like 4

It's been too long since I actually commented here instead of just consuming. It comes down to a hesitation to fill your wall with either an "I agree" or "damn, now I need to bump this up the priority list." But you deserve better.

Heavenly Bodies

On 17/01/2023 at 5:17 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Not only that - the game actually becomes far more exciting and interesting as a co-op prospect in Newtonian mode - because the ability to simply "swim" back to safety is removed.

Funny how this happens sometimes, eh? Increased stakes = increased enjoyment? The ratios are the same with steaks, by the way, but I avoid co-op when enjoying steak where possible.

The Entropy Centre

As is fairly obvious from the review, The Entropy Centre is not on the level of Portal 2, of course, but is in the upper end of 3D puzzle games that are currently ranked. As such, I looked at the current front-runners on there, and the two that jumped out were Quantum Conundrum, and Superliminal

Both are great games, (Superliminal would arguably rank higher if it were longer) but the higher of the two is Quantum Conundrum, and I think The Entropy Centre is the better game of those two.

More than enough of a recommendation. Sold! And if we can have a sub-genre called 'Souls-like,' we can also start 'Portal-like,' methinks.

Treasures of the Aegean

Overall, Treasures of the Aegean is a fantastic little game. It's not long - completion of the entire game is unlikely to take a player longer than a day or two, and a full, 100% run would follow shortly thereafter, but it really cannot be overstated how welcome the level of polish and finesse to be found here is. 

I tried putting my better half onto this. She hated it (lol) but said that it was "the sort of shit [I'd] enjoy." *shrug.* I guess that makes another recommendation?

When you say "a day or two," do you mean a session or two, or are we talking somewhere in the 20hr mark for completion time of this bad boy?

Norco

On 25/01/2023 at 1:31 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

As such, Transistor retains its place, but Norco finds its spot just below - becoming the new 18th best game on the ranking!

You really pushed this onto my radar. I passed on it when I first saw it but your journey was a great sales pitch. The crazy elements to the story still give me pause, but 18th on a list this long and distinguished is a feat!!

Red Dead Redemption

What a game. 

On 01/02/2023 at 10:35 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

it remains impressive - even today - how well the game captures the brutal majesty and the unforgiving beauty of the wide open swathes of land that make up its world. 

Fully agree. There are such large empty spaces but they're by design and accounted for. The wildlife, audio and soundtrack blend for an incredible and unique atmosphere. People and incidents seem to have a perfectly-timed waiting period before they appear on John's path and they don't all need you to interact with them. They're just going about their business. This sells the world as a living ecosystem somehow.

Compared to RDR2 where you meet just as many people but they've all got some 'thing' going on. I've played that campaign once but I must have met a guy bitten by a snake half a dozen times - and yet there's so many different things happening in RDR2 that it's unrealistic to whinge that I should have 'only met the snake bitten guy once.'

RDR1 somehow feels more real without that urge to always have something happening.

On 01/02/2023 at 10:35 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

Vocal work is good - it's not on the level of a Last of Us,

I'd argue that John is, but not anyone else. But! RDR2 IS on that top level though. RDR2's dialogue, acting and mo-cap are top shelf.

Golf Club Wasteland

On 23/02/2023 at 6:39 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

In terms of stylings, there is real marrying of what should be clashing concepts too... though here, they are much, much more successful.  The game is comedic in nature - at least in terms of the darkly comic concept of playing a frivolous round of golf in the destroyed wasteland of our society - but oddly, the actual tone of the game is not light at all. Actually, it is quite mournful and maudlin - to the extent of even being truly bleak and dark. Despite the cartoony visual style, and the bouncy, fun-times gameplay, the whole game is scored with a fantastically well produced and extremely good fake radio station - "Radio Nostalgia from Mars" - and it is this audio that provides both the first real moment of cognitive gaming dissonance, and the ongoing tonal elements of the game.

Well wait just a minute - that wasn't on the box! That sounds really interesting. That's the hook that's reeling me in on this, tbh.

Modern Warfare

...because the nature of games means the narrative is crafted by committee, and lacks the singular point of view and clarity of vision of a single author, the actual politics of the story can tend to be muddled ... there often feels like there are conflicting ideologies at play within the game narrative ... the specific point of view of the game on these concepts does tend to feel muddled. At some points, the game clearly tries to espouse a "the world needs protecting, whatever the cost" mentality - siding with the black-ops, war-crime adjacent, rules-are-made-to-be-broken viewpoint of many of the principle characters. 

However, at other points, there is a clear attempt to undercut that and cater to a more left-leaning sensibility, by leaning more into a "the good guys are as bad as the bad guys" viewpoint, where the actions of the player are deliberately made no different than those of the antagonists... and where the characters themselves are conflicted as a result.

These two elements can be made to work together well in some fiction, but in Modern Warfare, it never really gets there, as the individual scenes seem to swing too quickly from one to the other ... the game itself tends to feel a little wishy-washy in what it actually wants to say about the subject matter it tackles.

YES!!! 

I think there's just as many "aaaand let's have a long look in the mirror now"-worthy moments in this as there are in Spec Ops: The Line, but the major difference is that Modern Warfare just keeps the train running at full pace instead of calling the player out and giving the player's actions room to digest. 

For me the interrogation scene with The Butcher and his family was the climax of the game because my own journey with it came to a natural conclusion [review pending!] but I highly doubt many players would take the time for actual reflection on what takes place in this game without having it all spelt out just a fraction more.

The Stealth sections and more contained action set-pieces are arguably the strongest parts - the Clean House level is a highlight, as is an excellent series of escalating fire-fights involving the extraction of an enemy combatant to and from an Embassy. A great stealth-focussed level late in the game involving a more free-form hunt around a residential compound at night has a great balance between stealth and combat, feeling tense, but with a loose enough stealth model not to feel oppressive. The more "open-warfare" sections do certainly feel frenetic and exciting, but tend to have the same issues most war-games do in these sections: the openness and higher body-count tend to make the game feel more "gamey" and the aspects that make it a game show more, (infinite spawning enemies, or checkpoint determination of enemy counts etc,) resulting in a loss of the realism as compared to the other styles of level.

Hey! Get your own opinions! This is virtually word for word how I feel, Doc! Even down to the mission examples! ;p 

It's strange to see us literally on the same page (so far, at least) about a game. I'm glad you liked it and the recommendation wasn't a complete waste. It truly does have a repugnant first impression in a desperate attempt to NOT have players get into the campaign. Activision really wanted us to play Warzone instead.

UI design is something that is often overlooked - indeed, it is something that when done right, is invisible, and is only made obvious when done poorly...
...but in this case, it is extremely obvious, due to being extremely poor. 

A recommendation from my favourite YT channel on this subject.

Are we far off of a 75% post?

Edited by Platinum_Vice
  • Like 3

On 24/02/2023 at 6:35 PM, YaManSmevz said:

Not the Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine reference!!

I never actually played that, I just remember reading an EGM review of it when I was a kid. What can I say, I was a nerd then and I'm a nerd now.

Lumines has been on the list for a minute, but lately you've been reminding me how much I love Tetris...one of these days I'll scratch that itch.

Haha - do iiiiiiiitttttttt! ?

I'm back on the Tetris train right now, courtesy of Puyo Puyo Tetris 2, and goddamn, if I still don't just love Tetris, even after all that punishment!

Yo this was a particularly excellent write-up, just wanna get that out of the way!

I've been curious about this game since well before the release, not just because I'm familiar with Supermassive, but c'mon, nobody is gonna mistake that 80s horror movie poster look!

I love that you enjoyed it, and you've all but guaranteed that I will grab this myself at some point. The idea of them smoothing out those narratively choppy moments is tremendous to me - I have so much respect for developers trying to make a game that combines a high enough level of interactivity to create multiple paths, but the integrity of every one of them making thematic sense. I am a bit disheartened to hear that the ending(s) aren't quite as satisfying as Until Dawn's, but there's no shame in that - personally, I felt those were very satisfying, namely the everyone lives/everyone dies endings!

Also I got mad love for Lin Shaye! It seemed for a while that whenever an intimidatingly unpleasant older woman was needed in a film, she took the call, and embodied those characters exceedingly well (though I feel somewhat insulting giving praise to that).

Thanks man!

Yeah, man, Lin Shaye doesn't have a whole hell of a lot of screen time in this one, but she goes for broke with what she has - and being a big fan, I'm all for that!

Woohoo!!

I'm quite glad you liked this (it's one of few CoDs I've taken a great liking to) and that you made it past the needlessly arduous installation process. That and the UI (particularly for Spec Ops) were atrocious, and you make me wish I'd mentioned it when I wrote about it.

I wish I'd warned you directly in fact, so sorry about that!

The conflicted politics aren't something that bothered me so much, but I think it's because I've developed such a loathing for the 'USA!! USA!!' mindset that these games can fall into that I'll happily take a conflicted and unresolved outlook over that. But you're absolutely right, it does muddy things up a bit when the writers don't seem to know what they're trying to say!

That's also a great point about the Spec Ops aspect, I couldn't put my finger on quite why it felt so vastly different from the campaign (in spite of being a sorta campaign itself), but that's exactly it - its got MP DNA!

And I'm 100% with you on the MP thing - Medal of Honor confirmed it for me, I just don't care about that stuff anymore!

Sorry man, I was a mouthy ass broad with this one?

As you should be, sir!

Yeah, I'm quite glad this one finally got played - it was pure general consensus among our little group that made me finally think of checking it out - I had all but completely buried the idea of playing another COD, but was pleasantly surprised! 

On 26/02/2023 at 0:56 PM, Platinum_Vice said:

The Entropy Centre

More than enough of a recommendation. Sold! And if we can have a sub-genre called 'Souls-like,' we can also start 'Portal-like,' methinks.

You'll super dig it I think man - your puzzle game credentials are self evident, so you'll probably blast through it, but it's a genuinely good one!

Treasures of the Aegean

I tried putting my better half onto this. She hated it (lol) but said that it was "the sort of shit [I'd] enjoy." *shrug.* I guess that makes another recommendation?

When you say "a day or two," do you mean a session or two, or are we talking somewhere in the 20hr mark for completion time of this bad boy?

I checked TrueTrophies, and my time was a biscuit shy of 20hours exactly - and I reckon some fucking about notwithstanding, it's probably somewhere in the 15-20 range.

Heck of a game though - that actually surprised me, as I though it was shorter... which means I must have been having a good time, as it flew by!

Norco

You really pushed this onto my radar. I passed on it when I first saw it but your journey was a great sales pitch. The crazy elements to the story still give me pause, but 18th on a list this long and distinguished is a feat!!

It is a WILDLY distinguished game!

Not to be missed man - it gets my coveted, not-at-all-a-completely-made-up-thing-I-thought-of-right-now, "Dr.B Gold Star of Awesomeness"!

My God, that game is just so damned good!

Red Dead Redemption

What a game. 

Fully agree. There are such large empty spaces but they're by design and accounted for. The wildlife, audio and soundtrack blend for an incredible and unique atmosphere. People and incidents seem to have a perfectly-timed waiting period before they appear on John's path and they don't all need you to interact with them. They're just going about their business. This sells the world as a living ecosystem somehow.

Compared to RDR2 where you meet just as many people but they've all got some 'thing' going on. I've played that campaign once but I must have met a guy bitten by a snake half a dozen times - and yet there's so many different things happening in RDR2 that it's unrealistic to whinge that I should have 'only met the snake bitten guy once.'

RDR1 somehow feels more real without that urge to always have something happening.

I'd argue that John is, but not anyone else. But! RDR2 IS on that top level though. RDR2's dialogue, acting and mo-cap are top shelf.

That's probably true actually - Marston does get the primo treatment, and his mobcap and acting are very good.

That's interesting about RDR2 feeling less real for being more populated though - I've still not played any of RDR2 (I might someday, if I ever pluck up the energy for a game that size!) but I am intrigued - if only to see the differences, and how divisive it was!

Modern Warfare

YES!!! 

I think there's just as many "aaaand let's have a long look in the mirror now"-worthy moments in this as there are in Spec Ops: The Line, but the major difference is that Modern Warfare just keeps the train running at full pace instead of calling the player out and giving the player's actions room to digest. 

For me the interrogation scene with The Butcher and his family was the climax of the game because my own journey with it came to a natural conclusion [review pending!] but I highly doubt many players would take the time for actual reflection on what takes place in this game without having it all spelt out just a fraction more.

You know - Spec Ops: The Line is one I only ever saw, and read about - I never actually played. Heard great things, and seemed like my kind of thing (especially at the time,) but for whatever reason, I just never got to it.

Hey! Get your own opinions! This is virtually word for word how I feel, Doc! Even down to the mission examples! ;p 

It's strange to see us literally on the same page (so far, at least) about a game. I'm glad you liked it and the recommendation wasn't a complete waste. It truly does have a repugnant first impression in a desperate attempt to NOT have players get into the campaign. Activision really wanted us to play Warzone instead.

?

Are we far off of a 75% post?

Well, looks like we're at about 65% now, but with the lower pace of reviews now, and the new ones adding, I reckon I'll still be lucky to catch up to 75% this year...

...you never know though!

Maybe Hitman: Freelancer will destroy my trophy-gathering so much that I can actually make some back-log review progress! ?

Speaking of Hitman Freelancer....

Mini-Science Review incoming....

• Like 3

I've been thinking that the Sly Cooper games are a little low for my liking, but life is pain, and I'm gonna nominate Sly Cooper Thieves in Time and brace for the disappointment of someone daring to have a different opinion than me. You are missing the Sly Mini games list though, then you'd have completed all 6 unique lists ?

• Like 2