DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

13 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

That's an awesome story. I love that video games essentially have the power to do that sort of thing.

Strange to think of FFXIII being a gateway drug to the series for some people, but in reality its probably quite common, all the Lightning avatar's all over the place probably cement that.

I can't say I've played every single Final Fantasy game myself, but I do consider myself a big fan of the series. Probably the most glaring one I haven't played is IX actually, I've owned it on several consoles and still just never gotten around to it, but I do plan to soon. As the good Doctor said above, even if XIII was the worst one its still worth playing.

Yeah it is odd, and from someone who has played and completed every mainline FF game apart from V, XI and XIV, getting my wife to potentially judge a whole franchise through XIII was pretty weird, but it worked out well lol 

I would highly recommend you play IX, you will really enjoy it and it has wonderful aspects to it whilst paying homage to the earlier FF's. I do have the avatar of Vivi for my PSN as a tribute lol

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, The_Kopite said:

Yeah it is odd, and from someone who has played and completed every mainline FF game apart from V, XI and XIV, getting my wife to potentially judge a whole franchise through XIII was pretty weird, but it worked out well lol 

I would highly recommend you play IX, you will really enjoy it and it has wonderful aspects to it whilst paying homage to the earlier FF's. I do have the avatar of Vivi for my PSN as a tribute lol

I could think of worse ones to start her off with haha. Type-0 for example,  I think you have to really love Final Fantasy to find much joy in that game. I still like it, but its a tough one to like. Although to be fair I literally only bought it to get the demo for FFXV. Maybe XII might be a weird place to start too thinking about it, because its so unlike all the others, although its one of my favourites personally.

I'll definitely take that recommendation on board for FFIX, thank you, I look forward to it. Everyone seems to rave about IX so its poor show of me not to get to it. Its definitely on my list of things to start soon. I really have no idea why I haven't played it. Ironically its been installed on my console since the day the PS4 version released lol. I'm going to play it even if I don't end up getting the platinum, I imagine that jump rope trophy will require a bit of patience.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

I could think of worse ones to start her off with haha. Type-0 for example,  I think you have to really love Final Fantasy to find much joy in that game. I still like it, but its a tough one to like. Although to be fair I literally only bought it to get the demo for FFXV. Maybe XII might be a weird place to start too thinking about it, because its so unlike all the others, although its one of my favourites personally.

I'll definitely take that recommendation on board for FFIX, thank you, I look forward to it. Everyone seems to rave about IX so its poor show of me not to get to it. Its definitely on my list of things to start soon. I really have no idea why I haven't played it. Ironically its been installed on my console since the day the PS4 version released lol. I'm going to play it even if I don't end up getting the platinum, I imagine that jump rope trophy will require a bit of patience.

Yes Type-0 was certainly not one of the greats by a long way haha. Being a massive FF fan, I can take positives from any FF which helps but yeah it wasn't bad, just not fab. 

As for FFIX, yes the jump rope trophy is a platinum breaker in itself for a lot of people. Well look you haven't played it yet, but it means you've got a fantastic game to look forward to and that's always an awesome thing, especially being able to go through it for the first time. For me it's my 3rd favourite FF so it definitely gets high praise from me and it's well regarded generally like you stated. Whenever you do play it in the future, let me know what you think of it ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The_Kopite said:

Yes Type-0 was certainly not one of the greats by a long way haha. Being a massive FF fan, I can take positives from any FF which helps but yeah it wasn't bad, just not fab. 

As for FFIX, yes the jump rope trophy is a platinum breaker in itself for a lot of people. Well look you haven't played it yet, but it means you've got a fantastic game to look forward to and that's always an awesome thing, especially being able to go through it for the first time. For me it's my 3rd favourite FF so it definitely gets high praise from me and it's well regarded generally like you stated. Whenever you do play it in the future, let me know what you think of it 1f44d.png

Which is your favourite one? I've never really thought about ranking them too much in my own head. I know what my favourite is, which is FFX. Outside of that its a tough call ranking them I'd definitely find it tough haha. I like FFXIII-2 way more than I expect most do to be honest. I don't think it would ever win any game of the year awards or anything of that nature, but there is so much about it that I really love.

That's absolutely true yeah, you're right.  I haven't even played it yet and I've managed to remain spoiler free on it for the last twenty years, so that's another bonus - it will all be new, even though its one of my best friends favourite games and I'm sure he's dying to talk about it whenever the subject of Final Fantasy comes up lol. Stop getting me excited haha, I should finish Vampyr first. When I get to FFIX, I'll definitely make sure to let you know what I think, I'm sure it would be a fun discussion.

1 hour ago, rjkclarke said:

Which is your favourite one? I've never really thought about ranking them too much in my own head. I know what my favourite is, which is FFX. Outside of that its a tough call ranking them I'd definitely find it tough haha. I like FFXIII-2 way more than I expect most do to be honest. I don't think it would ever win any game of the year awards or anything of that nature, but there is so much about it that I really love.

That's absolutely true yeah, you're right.  I haven't even played it yet and I've managed to remain spoiler free on it for the last twenty years, so that's another bonus - it will all be new, even though its one of my best friends favourite games and I'm sure he's dying to talk about it whenever the subject of Final Fantasy comes up lol. Stop getting me excited haha, I should finish Vampyr first. When I get to FFIX, I'll definitely make sure to let you know what I think, I'm sure it would be a fun discussion.

My favourite FF is VII, followed very closely by X. 3rd is IX, 4th is IV and 5th is VI. Final Fantasy is one of my 3 favourite gaming franchises so I'm very passionate about it lol 

XIII-2 is an interesting one, in that it did some things much better than XIII yet some things a bit worse imho. What I can't dispute is one of my favourite songs comes from that game - Noel's Theme - that is sung in a later part of the game (can't remember where exactly) but it is such a almost haunting and soothing song at the same time that I just stopped and let the song loop and loop lol 

Wow that is highly impressive to not know anything of the story of IX, that will really heighten the experience for you and benefit your playthrough for sure. It's so hard nowadays to achieve that for any game so kudos to you. IX again has some fantastic music (they all do - one of the many strengths of the whole series).

Excellent to hear, looking forward to your thoughts on IX in the future! ?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The_Kopite said:

My favourite FF is VII, followed very closely by X. 3rd is IX, 4th is IV and 5th is VI. Final Fantasy is one of my 3 favourite gaming franchises so I'm very passionate about it lol 

XIII-2 is an interesting one, in that it did some things much better than XIII yet some things a bit worse imho. What I can't dispute is one of my favourite songs comes from that game - Noel's Theme - that is sung in a later part of the game (can't remember where exactly) but it is such a almost haunting and soothing song at the same time that I just stopped and let the song loop and loop lol 

Wow that is highly impressive to not know anything of the story of IX, that will really heighten the experience for you and benefit your playthrough for sure. It's so hard nowadays to achieve that for any game so kudos to you. IX again has some fantastic music (they all do - one of the many strengths of the whole series).

Excellent to hear, looking forward to your thoughts on IX in the future! 1f44d.png

That's definitely a nice top 5, I can't speak for IV as I've not played that, but again I've heard so many good things. VI and VII seem like they should be near the top of everyone's FF list really. I find they are all quite interchangeable just because of how good they are.

XIII-2 is definitely a weird one, I'm not the biggest fan of its story. I really love the gameplay, and the fact it was like an RPG equivalent of a collectathon. I felt a strangely satisfied feeling from getting all the fragments and things in every area. The soundtrack is 100% my favourite thing about it. I still listen to it very often. I'm fairly sure I know the Noel theme you mentioned, is it the one where you find out the back story between Noel, Yeul and Caius? Where everything is incredibly melancholic? If so I did exactly the same thing as you, I just sat there for a bit and drank in the atmosphere. I'm fairly sure I wrote a huge chunk of a university essay about that piece of music. Got to give a shout out to the New Bodhum piece as well, I got a bit choked up in a nice way when I heard one of the buskers in Lightning Returns singing it.

I guess I know which game I'm starting soon then now, talking about it has got me bitten with the Final Fantasy bug again haha! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

That's definitely a nice top 5, I can't speak for IV as I've not played that, but again I've heard so many good things. VI and VII seem like they should be near the top of everyone's FF list really. I find they are all quite interchangeable just because of how good they are.

XIII-2 is definitely a weird one, I'm not the biggest fan of its story. I really love the gameplay, and the fact it was like an RPG equivalent of a collectathon. I felt a strangely satisfied feeling from getting all the fragments and things in every area. The soundtrack is 100% my favourite thing about it. I still listen to it very often. I'm fairly sure I know the Noel theme you mentioned, is it the one where you find out the back story between Noel, Yeul and Caius? Where everything is incredibly melancholic? If so I did exactly the same thing as you, I just sat there for a bit and drank in the atmosphere. I'm fairly sure I wrote a huge chunk of a university essay about that piece of music. Got to give a shout out to the New Bodhum piece as well, I got a bit choked up in a nice way when I heard one of the buskers in Lightning Returns singing it.

I guess I know which game I'm starting soon then now, talking about it has got me bitten with the Final Fantasy bug again haha! 

Yes a lot of FF fans would probably lambast me for having VI down in 5th on my list lol but there you go, I came to play I-VI when I was a bit older (first FF was VII) and ended up playing the GBA versions and DS version of III, so obviously VII, IX and X are more special to me as a result, but they are all fantastic games in their own right.

Yeah that sounds right to me regarding Noel's Theme. Very melancholic and that moment when the song plays just made me put the controller down and just soak it in. That lasted a while lol as for the game itself, yeah I personally don't think they needed to bother making XIII a trilogy, but XIII-2 has it's good moments definitely and the gameplay was fun and it was nice it was far more open than XIII. Was nice to play as Serah too after XIII and develop her character.

Haha, well then my job is done ?

You know, @DrBloodmoney, having played a couple of the currently leading games, and agreeing with your placement... I wonder if I should give Prey a chance ? that one seems to be tough to dethrone!

Then again, it has been recommended to me together with Dishonored as a better entry in a list of games similar to Bioshock and - truth be told - I tried Bioshock Remastered for the first time last year and didn't like it all that much...

In any case... I'd love to see Nex Machina reviewed ? I know that you think positively of it, but I'd like to have a more in-depth analysis! 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

You know, @DrBloodmoney, having played a couple of the currently leading games, and agreeing with your placement... I wonder if I should give Prey a chance 1f602.png that one seems to be tough to dethrone!

Then again, it has been recommended to me together with Dishonored as a better entry in a list of games similar to Bioshock and - truth be told - I tried Bioshock Remastered for the first time last year and didn't like it all that much...

well... certainly I think there is a lot of crossover of fandom between the Prey / Dishonoured genus and the Bioshock one - but I think there is a false idea that Prey is a natural evolution of Bioshock. They certainly share DNA, but really, that's because they have a common ancestor - in System Shock

It really depends on what aspects of Bioshock turned you away from it. I'd say Dishonoured, and Prey especially, have some of what made Bioshock the game it was, but they have equally as much Thief and Deux Ex in them, so if those games were in your wheelhouse, then I'd say your good. Theres even a few aspects in common with some of the more esoteric FPS games of the PS3 era - The Darkness / Syndicate / The Riddick games etc.

Certainly Dishonoured pretty much requires a love of stealth mechanics in some form, though Prey is a stranger beast in a sense - it's so variable and so malleable that it is tough to nail down exactly who would like it, as it can be played so many ways. I've done playthroughs as a stealth assassin, I've gone full BJ Blastowiz, I've played it like a Bioshock, and I've done it like a Deus Ex hacker, and every time it's felt like a different game.

Really, I'd say you have to try it - and give it an honest good go to see - but then obviously I'd say that, now wouldn't I ??

In any case... I'd love to see Nex Machina reviewed 1f642.png I know that you think positively of it, but I'd like to have a more in-depth analysis! 

Absolutely - I shall add it to the priority list, post-haste! ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

2622.png2622.pngSCIENTIFIC NOTE2622.png2622.png
I am going to, in future, start putting these review posts up in two parts, separating the posts, as I am finding that - like the most recent one - the posts are getting above the character limit that the forum allows for editing posts. I am unable to go back in and correct any minor spelling errors in the posts at their current length!

So, sorry about any spelling errors you find - I probably know about them, but the Forum software won't let me fix them!

Also - I'm getting worried now that at some point the main thread post with the list on it might hit that limit, and I'll be unable to update it ??

Not really sure what I can do about that, short of cutting out the explanation of the thread above it, but I guess I'll just have to deal with that if it happens.

If anyone out there knows what the character limit cut-off that stops editing being allowed is, please let me know so I can try and see if there is a danger and figure out a solution!

Edited by DrBloodmoney

Ah, the one that I've been waiting for xD nice list as always. Won't quote it because my god you wrote like Shakespeare with a vengeance so, bolded caps lock list incoming!

Dark Souls II  - ah yes, the "black sheep" of the series (lel, Sekiro is not even close to being as good as this game). Yeah, it's a trope to say that "Dark Souls x is my favorite, but ALL of them are good", because...well it's the truth! Praise Miyazaki and his holy guidance, cause this series is amazing.

I do get all the points there, all the beautiful arguments but...my god don't fire arrows at me, the DLC SUCKED! Ok maybe not the Iron King DLC but...all I can remember is me angrily shaking my fist at some satanic reindeers in Frigid Outskirts. Or the omg imma poison yo ass while ghosts haunt you in Sunken King DLC. I dreaded those DLCs only because I felt like fkin Doomguy in them, compared to Artorias of the Abyss and Ringed City DLC where it was the same tough but fair stuff.

Bosses were great though (not the reskinned ones, fuck those). Fume Knight and Sir Alonne were amazing. Better than anything in the main game.

Also covenants were super fun in this game. Covenant of Champions redid the infinite spawn at the cost of the world being tough as shit. It really had some great ideas! But it also had the windmill elevator into volcano so... yeah DS2 was fun!

Prince of Persia - Sands of Time - now, here imma use a quote, god have mercy on my soul I need to erase a lot:

11 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It should not be overlooked how innovative The Sands of Time was in 2003. Taking a beloved 2D franchise and shifting it into 3D was a dangerous endeavour, and one that harmed more franchises than it helped, but Prince of Persia did it with aplomb.

There was actually a predecessor - Prince of Persia 3D. It looked like this:

220px-Prince_of_Persia_3D_Coverart.pnghqdefault.jpg

I do not recommend anyone to even dare touch it xD if the graphics weren't enough to convince. This game was...oh boy let's just pretend it was never made. But you bet i will eagerly wait for opinions for the next ones in the series, especially Warrior Within. That is the PoP that people either loved or hated. Kinda like DS2 ?

Shadow of the Colossus - I just want to say one thing, that I really did not like about this game: YOU CANNOT THROW AGRO INTO OBLIVION YOURSELF! God this game frustrated me so much. And that's all because I can already see some Playstation pitchforks aimed at me!

As usual, fantastic stuff to read. Makes the work day go by faster!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Copanele said:

Ah, the one that I've been waiting for xD nice list as always. Won't quote it because my god you wrote like Shakespeare with a vengeance so, bolded caps lock list incoming!

Dark Souls II  - ah yes, the "black sheep" of the series (lel, Sekiro is not even close to being as good as this game). Yeah, it's a trope to say that "Dark Souls x is my favorite, but ALL of them are good", because...well it's the truth! Praise Miyazaki and his holy guidance, cause this series is amazing.

I do get all the points there, all the beautiful arguments but...my god don't fire arrows at me, the DLC SUCKED! Ok maybe not the Iron King DLC but...all I can remember is me angrily shaking my fist at some satanic reindeers in Frigid Outskirts. Or the omg imma poison yo ass while ghosts haunt you in Sunken King DLC. I dreaded those DLCs only because I felt like fkin Doomguy in them, compared to Artorias of the Abyss and Ringed City DLC where it was the same tough but fair stuff.

Bosses were great though (not the reskinned ones, fuck those). Fume Knight and Sir Alonne were amazing. Better than anything in the main game.

Also covenants were super fun in this game. Covenant of Champions redid the infinite spawn at the cost of the world being tough as shit. It really had some great ideas! But it also had the windmill elevator into volcano so... yeah DS2 was fun!

Hahaha, dude, I loved the Scholar of the First Sin dlc so much! That Iron King stuff was just so perfect I thought - but this only highlights the greatness of the series as a whole - the games can (and did) support a billion threads of discussion over which was best!

Prince of Persia - Sands of Time - now, here imma use a quote, god have mercy on my soul I need to erase a lot:

There was actually a predecessor - Prince of Persia 3D. It looked like this:

220px-Prince_of_Persia_3D_Coverart.pnghqdefault.jpg

I do not recommend anyone to even dare touch it xD if the graphics weren't enough to convince. This game was...oh boy let's just pretend it was never made. But you bet i will eagerly wait for opinions for the next ones in the series, especially Warrior Within. That is the PoP that people either loved or hated. Kinda like DS2 1f602.png

Uh oh - gaming blind spot alert - I've never even heard of this entry! Thats.... some look it has... ?

... I might have to try and seek that one out.... just because I hate myself that much ?

Shadow of the Colossus - I just want to say one thing, that I really did not like about this game: YOU CANNOT THROW AGRO INTO OBLIVION YOURSELF! God this game frustrated me so much. And that's all because I can already see some Playstation pitchforks aimed at me!

It's tough for me to properly quantify the effect the original game had on my tastes - it shaped my gaming desires more than most other games combined, and so when the Remake came out and made the game look and feel like I always imagined it did, but could never actually see on the screen, it did something to me I think!

It's certainly an acquired taste, but for me it represents something that very few games can capture - ennui. Actual, poetic aching of the soul. That is a completely personal and ephemeral thing of course, and impossible to use as an argument either for or against - it is simply unquantifiable - but it is there for me, and carries that game to a loftier place than most.

As usual, fantastic stuff to read. Makes the work day go by faster!

Thank you my friend - I appreciate it ☺️

• Like 1

Yeah, I was about to mention Prince of Persia 3D. Haven't played it, but I've heard that game is ass. Maybe it's a good thing it was forgotten ?

I have played The Sands of Time, though. Did it in 2010 (I remember because I posted my first YouTube video with a fight montage from the game that year), and it played completely fine, I didn't think it aged too poorly back then. Maybe if I replayed it today, it would be a different story. But I've seen some opinions that The Sands of Time is bad and is barely playble today which boggled my mind. Glad to see the objective scientific analysis agrees with me, and this game lands in the top 30% in 2021.

Also enjoyed Metro 2033 back when I plyed it on PC around the same year. I remember that it felt slightly different from other shooters I've played, can't put it into words very well. The gunplay felt a little weak compared to them somehow. It was either the guns, or the overall animations and physics, or the way enemies reacted to being shot, or all of the above, I don't know. But this wasn't something significant. I also remember having trouble with the stealth in this game. Even after I figured out that enemies could hear when I walked on glass (or something like that, I hope I remember correctly) they were still noticing me. Nevertheless, still a good game IMO, an 8/10, or at least a strong 7. 4A deserves praise even for the atmosphere that they crafted in the game alone.

Edited by Alderriz
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Alderriz said:

Yeah, I was about to mention Prince of Persia 3D. Haven't played it, but I've heard that game is ass. Maybe it's a good thing it was forgotten 1f601.png

I definitely wish I could go back into the post and edit it to acknowledge this game, but the stupid Forum software won't let me ?

22 hours ago, Alderriz said:

I have played The Sands of Time, though. Did it in 2010 (I remember because I posted my first YouTube video with a fight montage from the game that year), and it played completely fine, I didn't think it aged too poorly back then. Maybe if I replayed it today, it would be a different story. But I've seen some opinions that The Sands of Time is bad and is barely playble today which boggled my mind. Glad to see the objective scientific analysis agrees with me, and this game lands in the top 30% in 2021.

I think Sand of Time - and loads of games of the Era - have aged the fastest and the least well of really any gaming era - it's a shame, but it is what it is. I'd be very quick to argue against anyone saying it is unplayable now though - you can still see the great aspects, you just need to blur your vision a little!

Also enjoyed Metro 2033 back when I plyed it on PC around the same year. I remember that it felt slightly different from other shooters I've played, can't put it into words very well. The gunplay felt a little weak compared to them somehow. It was either the guns, or the overall animations and physics, or the way enemies reacted to being shot, or all of the above, I don't know. But this wasn't something significant. I also remember having trouble with the stealth in this game. Even after I figured out that enemies hear when I walked on glass (or something like that, I hope I remember correctly) they were still noticing me. Nevertheless, still a good game IMO, an 8/10, or at least a strong 7. The atmosphere that 4A crafted in the game deserves praise alone.

Yeah - gunplay has never been the strongest card the Metro games have - TBH, I think the latest one, Exodus, is the best one of the three, and even it is still behind a lot of other games in that regard, but the games have so much else to offer that their peers don't even touch, that they are all still well worth a playthrough

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

@DrBloodmoney Hey mate, no request here, just wanted to compliment you on how well-written all of your reviews/rankings are.  You even make artifex mundi games a fun read ? 

Having that vocabulary and ability to articulate/express yourself in the way you do would be such a nice skill to have. I envy you, good sir!

Awesome thread ?

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, The Devils Reaper said:

@DrBloodmoney Hey mate, no request here, just wanted to compliment you on how well-written all of your reviews/rankings are.  You even make artifex mundi games a fun read 1f604.png 

Having that vocabulary and ability to articulate/express yourself in the way you do would be such a nice skill to have. I envy you, good sir!

Awesome thread 1f44d.png

I appreciate that mate, thanks ☺️

• Like 1

On 21/05/2021 at 3:56 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

Laee486.png

Grand Theft Auto IV

Summary:

There have already been a few games on this list where I know ahead of time that I'm going against a prevailing opinion - Jak II, Dokuro, etc. - but I have a suspicion that few are likely to inspire ire in some people more than this one. This is going to be a hard one to rank for one simple reason:

GTA IV is an objectively great game... that I personally don't like very much.

I can appreciate many of the great aspects of the game. Coming from a position of incredible strength built up across the GTA trilogy on PS2 (GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas), each of which I enjoyed immensely, it is impossible not to conclude that GTA IV was a triumphant step forward in graphics, world-building fidelity, realism, storytelling (though San Andreas was no slouch in that department either), and in Rockstar's ability to incorporate vast swathes of interlinking systems, minigames, narrative, side content and humor to craft an incredibly detailed and compelling world.

Why, then, didn't I like it?

Put simply, by improving virtually every aspect of realism in the design of GTA IV, something was lost: the fun.

That might seem an overly simplistic way to put it - and it is - but it is the only way I can think to put it that makes sense. 

Take, for example, the controls. The jump from PS2 to PS3 was Rockstar's catalyst for crafting a much more realistic and animation-heavy feel to controlling GTA IV's protagonist, Niko, as compared to CJ of San Andreas. Gone was the very "gamey" and "arcadey" quick turns and sprinting of that game - here, Niko takes his time to turn around, or to pull out a gun, or to do anything, really. That makes for a far more realistic looking and playing game (and the animations and the graphics were gorgeous for the time, for sure), but it makes everything feel more of a chore, and less of the chaotic fun I loved about the previous games.

Driving has all the same issues, and more - the driving model adopted in GTA IV is much more realistic than in previous entries, and, as a result, feels much heavier, slower and just less fun to engage with. Crashing a car and having to switch vehicles is no longer a quick, fun notion - it looks much more realistic, takes a long time, and is generally about as fun as getting out of a real vehicle and into another one in real life. Crashing a motorbike and flying off is not a funny, zany laughfest that you pick yourself up from and carry on, it's basically instant death.

Just like real life. You know what the problem with real life is? Doing crazy stuff isn't fun.

The very idea that I would rather take a cab in the game to get to the next mission than drive myself would have been unheard of in previous entries. Here, it was the norm.

Yes, often I would let the cab ride play out leaving the camera on "cinematic" mode, so I could drink in the majesty of the city they had meticulously crafted, but that majesty was never enough to make me actually want to engage with the controls of the game any more than I had to.

Rockstar's abiding curse - beginning with GTA IV - has always been their almost masturbatory obsession with their own animations. Everything takes much longer to do in their games than in others, because they are so in love with the animations that they create (which are, to be fair, generally great), that they baulk at the idea of letting the player skip them. I'm sure I'm not the only person to master the art of getting off your horse close enough to a carcass in Red Dead Redemption that the skinning animation couldn't happen, and John Marston would just pick up the damned hide without having to do the same long, protracted, unskippable theatrics every time.

For better or for worse, that mentality has permeated all Rockstar games post-GTA IV, but in subsequent games, a much more appropriate balance between fun and realism has been struck. (GTA V will likely never be ranked on this list, as the multiplayer virtually guarantees that I won't get the S rank, but suffice to say - all the issues I had with GTA IV were basically alleviated, and I enjoyed that game vastly more than this one.) Here, their first foray into this style was just not refined enough yet, and it suffers for it.

The story of GTA IV, I have to say, is a very strong one. More nuanced than any previous GTA game, and with more to say satirically about American culture, which has always been the heart of the GTA games. Niko is a strong lead, and his main story path is told well, although the more serious tone on display here doesn't really resonate with the variety of over-the-top or silly antics that are off to the side. When Niko keeps saying that he wants out of the criminal underworld, it makes him mowing down twenty pedestrians a bit more incongruous than when, say, GTA V's Trevor does it - though this has kind of always been an issue with open-world games in general.

The other factor to bring up here is the multiplayer. The single player is vast, and more than enough to keep players interested, so for most of the audience, the lackluster multiplayer can be largely ignored. But, for a completionist, it is an unholy travesty.

The trophy requirements are outrageous, given the limited fun to be had, and since the mechanics of the game are so heavy and plodding, engaging with only those aspects, without a narrative to drive them, just feels bad. The fact that I even have this platinum at all is a stark reminder to me of the lengths I once would go to to finish a game. Nowadays, I would never put myself through the amount of grinding it required, across a variety of game modes, none of which I found very much fun to control.

All in all, the game is impossible not to appreciate, particularly for the time, but I'd be lying if I said I had enjoyed it at all. The game is long, and very varied, and I liked quite a few parts of it, but even over the few hundred hours I put in, I never once found the controls to be anything but a burden, or the focus on realism to have enough good aspects to offset the downsides. I appreciate that this game led to their games I did enjoy more - Red Dead Redemption and GTA V - but here, their proving ground works better for me on paper than in my hands.

The Ranking:

For all of GTA IV's merits, I cannot ignore the purpose of my list. This is not a ranking of technical achievement, importance in the gaming landscape or popularity, all of which would feature GTA IV quite prominently - it is a ranking of how awesome I found the game to be, and I didn't find it as awesome as many others did.

As open-world games with a focus on driving go, I still think it has more going for it than Mafia II, but ranks far, far below Driver: San Francisco in terms of fun, despite its graphical prowess.

I am willing to concede that, over the course of my time with it, I had enough fun to take it above a game like Detroit: Become Human, given all its good qualities, but I cannot say I enjoyed the driving anywhere near as much as the driving in Split/Second, and as good as some of the other aspects of the game are, GTA games are driving games primarily. That is, after all, what you spend the most time doing.

It's a tough call, but in the end, I am comfortable placing it just below Split/Second, but no higher than that - and so there it stays. Still in the top half of the list, but a long way from any of the upper spots.

Thanks for the review! I think you can figure out that I love this game (after all, I wouldn't ask for it otherwise :P), being one of the main responsibles for getting me into gaming...

...but yeah, it's a really divisive one, even between hardcore fans of the franchise. They really took an 180 with this entry in comparison to their previous games, marking their foray into more realistic games (reaching a really high note, or so I've heard, with RDR2, which I'm yet to play), which some hate and others love. I personally could spend hours just messing around with the physics of the game, but I understand it might be a hard game for some to enjoy, and I do recognize its flaws. I do appreciate the honest analysis, though, and will certainly continue to read this thread in the future. :)

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 1

Thanks for the Dishonoured 2 summary, reading it through made me remember why I loved the game so much. I agree with the sentiment about the The Clockwork Mansion, it's my favorite in the entire series, and one of the most impressive levels in video gaming that I can recall. 

Also prefer Dark Souls 2: SOTFS to the original also. Think you hit the nail on the head, with comparing DS 2 to a country as opposed to a kingdom. I always thought the sequel had a sense of fantasy in the world, and felt the atmosphere was far more varied and alot more memorable. DS 2 isn't my personal favorite in the series, but always loved this aspect of the game as opposed the others.

Some real bangers in the top 5 now, gonna be tough to break into it I'd imagine!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

Some real bangers in the top 5 now, gonna be tough to break into it I'd imagine!

Oh yeah - it’s definitely getting to be much more solid up at the top end on the list - there are certainly still a fair few serious challengers waiting to be ranked though - and I can still see a few unranked games that may well have a shot at making it all the way.
Will just have to wait and see what the science says ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney

10 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

How doable is Nex Machina? It's been on my wishlist for quite some time, once I see it offered at a discount I may pick it up. I hope it's nothing as hard as some of the Resogun, because wow.

I personally found it a little harder than Resogun - though that could be more to do with the specific style - Twin Stick Shooters are games I enjoy a lot, but wouldn’t say I naturally excel at.

The biggest difference in terms of difficulty between the two is really the ability to ‘on-ramp’ to the hardest difficulty.

In Resogun, I felt like doing easier difficulties was good practice for later ones, and so there was a good, steady increase in challenge and approachability.

In Nex Mechina though, I think practicing on lower difficulties hurts you in the later ones - habits you pick up aren’t viable on harder settings, and patterns are so different, that you end up having to relearn the levels on the harder settings from scratch.

Edited by DrBloodmoney

3 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I personally found it a little harder than Resogun - though that could be more to do with the specific style - Twin Stick Shooters are games I enjoy a lot, but wouldn’t say I naturally excel at.

The biggest difference in terms of difficulty between the two is really the ability to ‘on-ramp’ to the hardest difficulty.

In Resogun, I felt like doing easier difficulties was good practice for later ones, and so there was a good, steady increase in challenge and approachability.

In Nex Mechina though, I think practicing on lower difficulties hurts you in the later ones - habits you pick up aren’t viable on harder settings, and patterns are so different, that you end up having to relearn the levels on the harder settings from scratch.

Good input.

The base game for Resogun isn't bad at all. The DLC however is a whole nother beast. I'm going to have to practice a lot for Commando Mode, so I'm hoping Nex Machina won't have anything that difficult.