A couple questions on gardening

So I was planning to do the legendary gardener trophy as I go through the game, instead of messing with timezones.

My questions are:
1. How does the garden get affected by the Part 1 -> Part 2 skip, or the start of a new playthrough after one of the endings? Do you just lose everything or does it stay like it is?
2. Can you plant flowers next to fully grown ones (which you purposefully don't harvest) and still get them to crossbreed? 

Thanks for the help

I doubt time skip and new play through have any effect... I know for sure time skip doesn’t so I think only real-time matters...

as for planting new between already grown flowers I’m testing that out at the moment myself xD guess we’ll have to see tomorrow (maybe if I’m lucky they get cross breed...) I would really like to know that myself too but I will be sure to be back with an answer (maybe) tomorrow if no one else have a clear answer before then :P

• Like 1

With the internal time clock apparently not working, isnt there a way to remove the internal time clock...?? 

Although u would have a few hoops to go through, sounds like it may work in theory..... 

So say when the system is taken ONLINE for the very first time, then internal clock is set and nothing u can do to change that

Now if u put Nier on a external HDD or have disc copy, then fully INITIALISE ur system, then when u turn it back on, DONT go on online at all. 

Then copy Nier from your external HDD, and add ur account once u have plati um to synch ur trophies across. 

Not saying this would work and not saying its worth doing either, but in theory, does anybody think this will work?? 

If the system has never been taken only, then the internal clock cant be set, so surely it uses the secondary clock we see in that instance?? 

Unless its programmed to sorta be set already when it leaves the factory?? 

I guess 1 way to test this would be to do get a trophy and see if it saves the real world time or the time on ur system

Edited by Optinooby

The internal clock on the PS4 and PS5 is factory set AFAIK, not set on first login like the PS3 and Vita are. You'd have to pull the CMOS battery to reset it, but then neither system actually lets you launch games unless you sign into PSN (as far as I understood from people freaking out about the CMOS stuff last couple weeks), where it then pulls the network clock again. 

Doing it with timezone manipulation honestly isn't that much work, you spend an hour on it over 4 days and spread it out instead of spending hours in a row trying it like you would on PS3. Only reason to want to do it faster now is if you for some reason wanted to rush the entire plat in under 3 days. 

Edited by Gage

1 hour ago, Gage said:

The internal clock on the PS4 and PS5 is factory set AFAIK, not set on first login like the PS3 and Vita are. You'd have to pull the CMOS battery to reset it, but then neither system actually lets you launch games unless you sign into PSN (as far as I understood from people freaking out about the CMOS stuff last couple weeks), where it then pulls the network clock again. 

Doing it with timezone manipulation honestly isn't that much work, you spend an hour on it over 4 days and spread it out instead of spending hours in a row trying it like you would on PS3. Only reason to want to do it faster now is if you for some reason wanted to rush the entire plat in under 3 days. 

I wouldnt do it, far too much hassle, just thinking abt it from a guide writers perspective. 

As you know, testing certain trophy requirements/triggers/variables sometimes for accuracy of guides can be a complete pita sometimes. 

If one was willing, and if it worked, could actually save a bit of time on testing very specific trophies that utilise the internal clock. 

If what you say is true, then obviously doesnt matter, but if there is no 100% confirmation on it, I may test it at some point. 

You cant boot a game up if you DONT go online initially, ia that true?? Damn, that can't be right can it, what happens if some unfortunate soul has no access to the WWW..........I guess these are the times we live in right ;)

EDIT

I just tried it actually as my PS4 is initialised ready to sell. 

You're right Gage, the internal clock is set on factory install, and I guess uses a very tiny amount of power from that battery u mention, which I guess would take 10s of yrs to go dead. 

U can play games Offline though, only physical though as Im guessing digital will want confirmation u are the license holder and so would need a log in. 

Its interesting that Timezone thing actually. 

I popped a trophy Offline and it showed the real time, I then changed the timezone and the time on the trophy timestamp changed. 

Im assuming if I went Online it would synch the trophy to the correct time and timezone, but interesting that the timezone DOES actually ALLOW you to manipulate the internal clock (offline only im guessing) ;)

Edited by Optinooby

1 hour ago, Tathie_Tath said:

As for what I was talking about yesterday: yes! It is possible to plant new flowers in between already grown flowers and still get them to cross breed... I got a few of them since yesterday while doing so :)

Thanks :D I'm only scared of a new playthrough wiping my garden now, hopefully it doesn't. At worst I'll wait for it to be done and farm some materials before triggering the ending A.

Edited by STK91
  • Like 1

It seems like flowers start to wilt and give seeds after 38 hours, not 48, meaning each step of the process using the timezone trick only takes 14 real-world hours instead of 24. You can also cut the process down to only a few steps, meaning you can get the trophy after 30 real-world hours instead of 100.

Step 1 (Hour 0): Plant two rows of indigo (BGBGB) and one row of peach (RGRGR). Use the timezone trick to make sure you're getting at least two crossbreeds per row, preferably three.

Step 2 (Hour 14): Back up your save in a second slot so you don't run out of seeds. Plant two rows of pink (IRIRI if you have enough indigo, RIRIR otherwise) and one row of peach.

Step 3 (Hour 28): Again, back up your save in another slot. Plant all of the peach and pink seeds you have, and skip forward with timezones to see if any white have appeared. If so, harvest for trophy. If not, reload backup and repeat. You do not need white seeds, so this step doesn't involve any real-world waiting.

Hopefully this helps some people out, as doing it over 4 days wastes a whole lot of time.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Xylobe said:

Hopefully this helps some people out, as doing it over 4 days wastes a whole lot of time.

Yeah, my point was exactly that if I start working on this from the start of the game and the flow of the different playthroughs doesn't mess with the garden, I can probably just be done with the trophy by the time I'm done with the game, without using the timezones trick. 

If it really gets down to it I might do it, but I'll probably just fire up some other game and finish this in real time. 

Edited by STK91

12 minutes ago, STK91 said:

Yeah, my point was exactly that if I start working on this from the start of the game and the flow of the different playthroughs doesn't mess with the garden, I can probably just be done with the trophy by the time I'm done with the game, without using the timezones trick.

The main benefit of the timezone trick isn't just that it saves you a flat 24 hours per harvest, it's that it allows you to check immediately whether the cross-breeding happened and re-plant if necessary. If you don't make use of it, you'll have harvests that are totally unproductive, and you may be forced to repeat previous steps if you run out of seeds. Your choice either way, but it could end up taking weeks if you're at the mercy of RNG.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Optinooby said:

EDIT

I just tried it actually as my PS4 is initialised ready to sell. 

You're right Gage, the internal clock is set on factory install, and I guess uses a very tiny amount of power from that battery u mention, which I guess would take 10s of yrs to go dead. 

U can play games Offline though, only physical though as Im guessing digital will want confirmation u are the license holder and so would need a log in. 

Its interesting that Timezone thing actually. 

I popped a trophy Offline and it showed the real time, I then changed the timezone and the time on the trophy timestamp changed. 

Im assuming if I went Online it would synch the trophy to the correct time and timezone, but interesting that the timezone DOES actually ALLOW you to manipulate the internal clock (offline only im guessing) ;)

Timezone changing is still only actually changing the visible clock, the internal one is just based off an absolute time and displayed to you relative to your time settings. Same as how like if you change your timezone on PSNP it changes what it says the timestamps are, but all that's doing is changing the time displayed to you relative to the timezone. 

2 hours ago, STK91 said:

Thanks :D I'm only scared of a new playthrough wiping my garden now, hopefully it doesn't. At worst I'll wait for it to be done and farm some materials before triggering the ending A.

Planted items stay there between Part One > Two timeskip and when completing Endings. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Gage said:

Timezone changing is still only actually changing the visible clock, the internal one is just based off an absolute time and displayed to you relative to your time settings. Same as how like if you change your timezone on PSNP it changes what it says the timestamps are, but all that's doing is changing the time displayed to you relative to the timezone. 

How do we know this though because although when I change the Timezone Offline, it changes the past Trophy Timestamp to match up with the Timezone, as soon as I take the system Online, it would autosynch to the correct time thus removing any incorrect Timezone changes you made as

The Flower trick doesnt work with the visible clock, the internal clock cant be manipulated, but the Timezone can...... 

It looks to me that the Timezone setting does actually manipulate the internal Clock, otherwise how would this flower trick even work. 

Either that or the internal clock is bypassed Offline by the timezone

If the timezone only changed the visible clock, and the visble clock cant manipulate the flowers, then the trick shouldn't work as the timezone is onpy affecting the visible clock

The thing with the trophy timestamp bring changed is inteteting as well. 

Unless there is more data other than a few of us throwing thoughts and speculation around, it looks to me that we have

A internal Clock

A visible Clock

And the Timezone can affect both or one of them. 

It cant affect only the visible clock because then the trick wouldnt work

Unless im misunderstanding this whole thing xD

4 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

Changing timezone in settings doesn't actually change the internal clock at all, it's only changing how it's being displayed to you relative to the timezone. Internal clock is set off an absolute time (probably just UTC since that's what timezones are given relative to in the settings) and when you move the timezone forward or back it's not actually doing anything to the internal clock, only changing how it is displayed to you relative to the timezone in places like trophy timestamps. 

The reason changing time for Nier works is probably because the save is set to go off the relative time from the internal clock like trophy timestamps are based on, and this just has the side affect of being moved forward or backward when you change the timezone setting which affects the flowers in game. 

44 minutes ago, ihasmudkips said:

Does the white moonflower you get from a boss during route E count towards the trophy? I saw someone say it did

56 people have the ending E trophy vs 33 for Legendary Gardener, so I'm inclined to say no.

49 minutes ago, Gage said:

Changing timezone in settings doesn't actually change the internal clock at all, it's only changing how it's being displayed to you relative to the timezone. Internal clock is set off an absolute time (probably just UTC since that's what timezones are given relative to in the settings) and when you move the timezone forward or back it's not actually doing anything to the internal clock, only changing how it is displayed to you relative to the timezone in places like trophy timestamps. 

The reason changing time for Nier works is probably because the save is set to go off the relative time from the internal clock like trophy timestamps are based on, and this just has the side affect of being moved forward or backward when you change the timezone setting which affects the flowers in game. 

You said earlier that the Timezone affects the visible clock, so if Nier changes to the relative time of the internal clock as you have just said, then the Timezone changed cant affect it as it only affects the visible clock right which is what you mentioned earlier....... 

Im just trying to work out if you are 100% confirming what you are saying, like is there data to support your comment, or is it just speculation, or is it like a accurate guess?? 

Im not trying to badger or anything m8, so please don't get me wrong and this probably seems trivial to you, but little things like this I like to be ABSOLUTELY certain with as it can affect my approach to certain elements in other games. 

And I wanna be sure because although its clear the Timezone affects something, its not entirely clear exactly what and so im curious how you claim to know EXACTLY how it affects the clock! 

We see far too much nowadays that players will often just say, 'yes im sure', but then further down the line, somebody else discovers that they missed 1 very minor but important detail etc

Thanks ;)

Edited by Optinooby

2 hours ago, Xylobe said:

The main benefit of the timezone trick isn't just that it saves you a flat 24 hours per harvest, it's that it allows you to check immediately whether the cross-breeding happened and re-plant if necessary. If you don't make use of it, you'll have harvests that are totally unproductive, and you may be forced to repeat previous steps if you run out of seeds. Your choice either way, but it could end up taking weeks if you're at the mercy of RNG.

Yeah, checking if the crossbreed has happened is pretty valuable.

2 hours ago, Gage said:

Planted items stay there between Part One > Two timeskip and when completing Endings. 

Good to know, thanks :D

9 hours ago, ihasmudkips said:

Does the white moonflower you get from a boss during route E count towards the trophy? I saw someone say it did

Where did u read this m8?? Something worth looking into!

Not sure how this affectes original, but even if it didnt, could have perhaps beem changed here.. 

16 hours ago, ihasmudkips said:

7 hours ago, Optinooby said:

Not sure how this affectes original, but even if it didnt, could have perhaps beem changed here.. 

gonna  check soon im on my way to ending e now

8 hours ago, Optinooby said:

someone else just made a thread on it. needs confirmation but i would be surprised if it works 

2 hours ago, ihasmudkips said:

someone else just made a thread on it. needs confirmation but i would be surprised if it works 

That video in that thread is such clickbait if it doesn't work. Can't blame him/her as we all do it and its only a videogame, but so many assumptions are made.

I make assumptions myself, but I just don't like it when players waste time, whether that be 5 minutes to 10 hours all due to a assumption which turns out to be wrong!

In that videos comments, it seems it doesn't work, BUT, is there anything else that can be tried with it. For example, obtaining the flower as a drop does nothing, but can it be replanted then picked back up, or dropped and picked up, or sold and bought back as an example?? I've not really played yet, but i'm just thinking if there is a way to make this work...,.

21 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

That video in that thread is such clickbait if it doesn't work. Can't blame him/her as we all do it and its only a videogame, but so many assumptions are made.

I make assumptions myself, but I just don't like it when players waste time, whether that be 5 minutes to 10 hours all due to a assumption which turns out to be wrong!

In that videos comments, it seems it doesn't work, BUT, is there anything else that can be tried with it. For example, obtaining the flower as a drop does nothing, but can it be replanted then picked back up, or dropped and picked up, or sold and bought back as an example?? I've not really played yet, but i'm just thinking if there is a way to make this work...,.

You can’t really plant grown flowers thou... just the seeds you get from the withered ones you planted yourself... or seeds from the shop... also I don’t think you can drop any items just discard them or sell them (or use if they’re usable)