Share your top 3 hated minigames

Shikoku_Inari

1. Catfight without any doubt, this minigame is a nightmare

2. Gambling Games, because its only based on luck and so, absolutly not fascinating

3. Batting, cuz.. well.. it is what it is ?

Mahjong is surprisely fun when you take some time to learn the rules (which is quite a pain in the ass tho)

I dont know why ppl put so much hate on Disco/Karaoke, they're definitly my 2 favs minigames.. ?

• 2 weeks later...

Catfight x3! Everything else was enjoyable.

I had to bust out my turbo controller for it. If you get a rainbow and turbo circle you will one hit KO them, that helped a lot. I went from winning 1 out of 20 matches to winning 9 in a row to get the trophy once I started using the turbo controller. All you need is one rainbow and you win.

Edited by Thedah
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, kinnyman said:

Catfight Catfight and Shogi.  I liked the rest.

@Thedah  Thanks for the info on the turbo controller.  So it seems like mashing does help; you just have to mash at a level impossible for most humans.

The part where if you tie and have to mash X turbo controller doesn't do anything... I lose even if I turbo it sometimes. The mashing at inhuman speeds for when you win with a rainbow and have to mash circle for more damage is where turbo helps the most. My HORI fightstick can mash up to 20 times a second and it destroys them from full health. So even if you have a sliver of life left and they are at full health you can still win if you just get a rainbow win once.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Thedah said:

The part where if you tie and have to mash X turbo controller doesn't do anything... I lose even if I turbo it sometimes. The mashing at inhuman speeds for when you win with a rainbow and have to mash circle for more damage is where turbo helps the most. My HORI fightstick can mash up to 20 times a second and it destroys them from full health. So even if you have a sliver of life left and they are at full health you can still win if you just get a rainbow win once.

Been awhile since I played, but I remember what you are talking about now.  Thanks for explaining it again :)  Still gotta go back and plat this one

So I'm at the point where I need to do some minigames. I don't understand the catfight and the guide isn't clear either. So I need to win 3 fights in a row, to count as one betting victory?

I've already had 3 victories, however they were just in the first round and I quit at the second, I guess those don't count?

On 10/31/2021 at 4:30 AM, Thedah said:

The part where if you tie and have to mash X turbo controller doesn't do anything... I lose even if I turbo it sometimes.

Yeah this mode makes sense if you think of a pachinko machine, the result is decided immediately, everything else is just a fun animation. Bashing the button is just for fun basically and has no effect on the result (it should do though but hey this is how gambling machines work)

44 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

So I'm at the point where I need to do some minigames. I don't understand the catfight and the guide isn't clear either. So I need to win 3 fights in a row, to count as one betting victory?

I've already had 3 victories, however they were just in the first round and I quit at the second, I guess those don't count?

Yeah this mode makes sense if you think of a pachinko machine, the result is decided immediately, everything else is just a fun animation. Bashing the button is just for fun basically and has no effect on the result (it should do though but hey this is how gambling machines work)

I'm probably going to play this earlier than expected because the temptation to try this game out is just too much.

Have you played the 1980s arcade games yet?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I'm probably going to play this earlier than expected because the temptation to try this game out is just too much.

Have you played the 1980s arcade games yet?

Dude! This October, I have been hardcore playing Dead Rising 1 and Yakuza 0 and have been having an absolute blast.

Yakuza 0 has had me hooked. Yes I have played the 1980s games in them, I was just playing them for fun, but there are even sub quests attached to them and with hilarious results.

Some of the lines of dialogue in this game I have read, are the best bits of dialogue I have ever seen in a game. The translators must have had a blast translating this game. This game is brutal gritty, but also absolutely batshit crazy hilarious too at times.

I'm jealous you haven't played a Yakuza game yet, I wish I could experience them all again lol. And starting on Yakuza 0 is certainly the best place to start. I've already ranked up 100 hours and I still haven't completed the game, nor have I finished most of the side quests, let alone most any of the minigames, My completion percent in the menu is 53.24% (you can see all the stuff you have unlocked in the menu as the game nicely keeps tracks of everything)

There are practically side quests in side quests, but yeah this game is challenging because there are so many games within games (hence this thread)

Make sure you have a week or two of freetime, because you're gonna need it.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 2

1) Disco

2) Catfight

3) Batting

Disco was infuriating; the scores you needed to get were just so damn high in some of them.

Catfighting is just annoying bullshit. It should be hilarious and fun, instead it's yelling at the TV when your fighter gets railed for no damn reason or fault of your own

Batting can just get fucked

Shoutout to Climax Battles for being annoying too. I've got 5 left and I'm seriously over them

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right now, it's batting.  I can't get the timing.  

On 11/17/2021 at 5:33 AM, HedleyNEUK said:

Only one i Hate/Dislike as im struggling badly with the score is Fantasy Zone

The rest are a pain but manageable

I hated this too.  

Third is probably Disco.  I don't know what my problem is.  I'm okay at rhythm games, but I just keep missing.  At the music is good.

Mah-jong will be up there when I get to it.  I did it for that one friendship in Judgment and learned nothing.

32 minutes ago, TheVengeance1231 said:

Can I share play to someone, and ask him to do the difficult mini game for me??

I think you can use the sessions feature for that without breaking any rules.

• 1 month later...

1) Cat fights (horrible horrible mini-game)

2) Telephone club (was fun at first, but the amount of times you have to do this to complete sub-stories with the awful RNG dates is disgustingly bad)

3) Pretty much every gambling/card game (western or eastern)

I finally got past the disco sub-stories but the amount of RNG and luck needed to complete the rest and 100% this is ridiculous. Completely ruined the Yakuza experience. I played Kiwami, and that doesn't seem as bad (only gambling/card games remain to 100%). I am okay with batting/skill based mini games, but a lot on the list is just BS.

• Like 2

I'm pretty much with everyone else regarding Cat Fights. Terrible mini-game, completely random number generator (RNG) based.

Mahjong is my second choice. I'm sure there are some real Mahjong fans on this website but it's very hard to get the hang of it. Growing up with western values in a western country with western gambling games and having to learn games that are generally played in the Far East (cee-lo, mahjong, etc), not the easiest thing in the world.

I didn't think Batting was as bad as people made it out to be. It's all about the timing, and I discovered I had to watch Kiryu's stance before taking the swing.

Honestly I don't have a third choice. Telephone club can be annoying but the guide lists who you might meet, so you can back out if you need to. I found the sub stories tied to the telephone club absolutely hilarious, especially the one where the girl said she was in a purple dress. Turned out to be a freakishly tall woman with a bit of an ugly face, gives Kiryu the ooga booga.

People definitely took more risks back then, especially back before the internet.

14 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I'm pretty much with everyone else regarding Cat Fights. Terrible mini-game, completely random number generator (RNG) based.

Mahjong is my second choice. I'm sure there are some real Mahjong fans on this website but it's very hard to get the hang of it. Growing up with western values in a western country with western gambling games and having to learn games that are generally played in the Far East (cee-lo, mahjong, etc), not the easiest thing in the world.

I didn't think Batting was as bad as people made it out to be. It's all about the timing, and I discovered I had to watch Kiryu's stance before taking the swing.

Honestly I don't have a third choice. Telephone club can be annoying but the guide lists who you might meet, so you can back out if you need to. I found the sub stories tied to the telephone club absolutely hilarious, especially the one where the girl said she was in a purple dress. Turned out to be a freakishly tall woman with a bit of an ugly face, gives Kiryu the ooga booga.

People definitely took more risks back then, especially back before the internet.

There was one telephone club sub-story where Kiryu had to choose between a blue and a green dress girl, but there was a third option twice (to get a closer look at them). The correct option is quite obvious, but I selected the third option just to make sure I didn't miss any dialog, and doing that changes the angle from which you look at the two girls. So the "front" girl becomes the "back" girl. I selected the correct option based on the new angle and it turned out to be the wrong one and I had to redo the mini game. Then after 5 more tries, I finally was able to finish ONE of these sub-stories. I have two remaining and I still get RNG dates. The mini-game was hilarious when I first played it, now it's just annoying.

The game actually does this a lot. Makes you play the mini-games unnecessarily for completion. The mini-game itself is exactly the same, no new twist to make it interesting. All the gambling requirements could have just been "win a game of mahjong" etc. It didn't have to be win one gazillion yen in this mini-game. It becomes too repetitive and uninteresting. The real estate mini-game and the cabaret mini-games are also very grindy towards the end, to finish the remaining sub-stories / completion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, boorish_brute said:

There was one telephone club sub-story where Kiryu had to choose between a blue and a green dress girl, but there was a third option twice (to get a closer look at them). The correct option is quite obvious, but I selected the third option just to make sure I didn't miss any dialog, and doing that changes the angle from which you look at the two girls. So the "front" girl becomes the "back" girl. I selected the correct option based on the new angle and it turned out to be the wrong one and I had to redo the mini game. Then after 5 more tries, I finally was able to finish ONE of these sub-stories. I have two remaining and I still get RNG dates. The mini-game was hilarious when I first played it, now it's just annoying.

The game actually does this a lot. Makes you play the mini-games unnecessarily for completion. The mini-game itself is exactly the same, no new twist to make it interesting. All the gambling requirements could have just been "win a game of mahjong" etc. It didn't have to be win one gazillion yen in this mini-game. It becomes too repetitive and uninteresting. The real estate mini-game and the cabaret mini-games are also very grindy towards the end, to finish the remaining sub-stories / completion.

Alright, this Equipment Search minigame is pissing me off.

I need five or six materials left. Game is ALWAYS giving me the same mats over and over and over. I mean, RNG is working against me here. Any tips?

10 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Alright, this Equipment Search minigame is pissing me off.

I need five or six materials left. Game is ALWAYS giving me the same mats over and over and over. I mean, RNG is working against me here. Any tips?

Ah yes! I did this in Kiwami and the money grind was very long and boring. You don’t have to search for them but grind money for them. Still would be better than whatever RNG BS 0 has. Haven’t done this yet in 0.

9 minutes ago, boorish_brute said:

Ah yes! I did this in Kiwami and the money grind was very long and boring. You don’t have to search for them but grind money for them. Still would be better than whatever RNG BS 0 has. Haven’t done this yet in 0.

I posted a topic with a video showing how the Equipment Search minigame works. But it's still hugely RNG based. It literally took me around two to three hours to get the last three or four materials needed. Wasn't fun.

• Like 1

Mahjong, mahjong, mahjong. 

Even if you're good at it, you still need luck on your side as the other minigames generally just require practice. For mahjong, you need to be good and get lucky. The harder tables are just unfair and can take you many hours just to get lucky enough to clear them for completion. You either get Ron'ed when you're one tile away from winning (the worst) or your opponent will get Ron or Tsumo crazy early in the round with a good hand worth 10000+ points so you can't even catch up once this happens and you may as well quit and start over. Took me 4 hours just to clear the hard table in Kiwami 2. The other gambling games are easy, it's always mahjong that takes forever to complete in every Yakuza game. Very frustrating. 

• Like 2