Share your top 3 hated minigames

Shikoku_Inari

5 hours ago, mega-tallica said:

Mahjong, mahjong, mahjong. 

Even if you're good at it, you still need luck on your side as the other minigames generally just require practice. For mahjong, you need to be good and get lucky. The harder tables are just unfair and can take you many hours just to get lucky enough to clear them for completion. You either get Ron'ed when you're one tile away from winning (the worst) or your opponent will get Ron or Tsumo crazy early in the round with a good hand worth 10000+ points so you can't even catch up once this happens and you may as well quit and start over. Took me 4 hours just to clear the hard table in Kiwami 2. The other gambling games are easy, it's always mahjong that takes forever to complete in every Yakuza game. Very frustrating. 

There’s a bunch of CP (Completion Point) objectives just for Mahjong. They threw in the same amount for Kiwami 1 as well. 

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

There’s a bunch of CP (Completion Point) objectives just for Mahjong. They threw in the same amount for Kiwami 1 as well. 

Yeah, having to win with certain hands just seems like a nightmare. I have a hard enough time just winning outright. At least Kiwami 2 didn't have any crazy mahjong stipulations for 100% completion. Basically just have to win all the tables and get ron/tsumo 30 times. Definitely the easiest platinum between Yakuza 0 and the Kiwami remakes. Between mahjong and the car chases on Legend difficulty, I probably will never get the platinum for 0 or Kiwami 1. Lost Judgment also had a relatively easy completion list although it had a ton on it which took forever to 100% complete. The first Judgment? Not so much. 

Okay. Mahjong is easily my #1 hated minigame. 

Cat Fights is entirely RNG but you can get by it a lot quicker. Mahjong on the other hand.... 

Matches that linger for far too long. Hugely RNG dependent. Some of the objectives for completion points is basically all luck. Steep learning curve just to learn the basics of Mahjong. 

It’s safe to say this is the “platinum blocker” for Yakuza 0, like Challenge #6 would be for Vanquish. Hell, I don’t think Legend difficulty or the Climax Battles will be as aggravating. 

Took me hours just to get some of the basics down for Mahjong and now it’s.... ugh.

I can't say I hate any minigames but below were the ones that I had the least fun with while going for the CPs:

1. JCC

2. Fantasy Zone

3. Space Harrier

When I first saw the comments about Mahjong in the internet, I was quite scared and hesitated to play but over the time it ended up as being one of the favourite minigames of mine (Although it still makes me mad when I accidentally let an opponent Ron me). Practicing Mahjong on Y0 can also build a solid foundation (since there are no cheat items for minigames in Y0, you have to learn them to get the CP done unlike other games) for later games as you'll need to score 50K in Y3 and 40K points in Ishin!, without end-gane bonuses, for Mahjong completion requirements if you ever decide to do those games.

• Like 1

I've finished every minigame up to the end of Chapter 7 so I haven't done any of the West Park gambling yet but so far...

1.) Mahjong. First time playing it in any capacity but I know Poker and I play a lot of board games IRL so it wasn't a world away from either of those. Shittiest part is the RNG for a Full Straight. That part alone took me about 3 hours.

2.) Blackjack. Holy shit, what an irritating game to make money on. It's not difficult to win but it is incredibly difficult to build up any momentum with the betting increases. Best way is to buy in at 10,000 and play minimum bets until you rack up the multiplier to allow you to bet 5,000 or so. Then bet the max. Bank if you win, quit out if you lose. It's not worth wasting time trying to chase down your starting balance. 

3.) Poker was kinda aggravating because the RNG was just dogshit when I played it. No massive complaints though.

I wanna share a couple of tips for the catfights because I was winning at least 3 out of every 5 tournaments I entered with this method. I won four on the bounce once.
- Always choose Jennifer. She has all 4/5 star attacks and a pre-emptive strike that triggers around 30-ish percent of the time.
- Bet 10 million. No idea if this is actually necessary but I did it every time and won a lot so why mess with success? Plus, you need to make a ton of money on catfights for your CP list anyway. At a 10 million buy-in, you'll get that done along the way to the trophy.
- Ignore your opponent's weakest rock/paper/scissors attack completely. They will barely ever use it. That leaves you with two choices: matching their pick or beating it. For example:

You:
Rock *****
Paper ****
Scissors ****

Opponent:
Rock ****
Paper ***
Scissors **

Here, we'd ignore scissors as their weakest move, so the choice is paper or rock. Pick paper and continue to spam paper for the entire round. Yes, your rock is stronger but the idea here is not to win duels outright but neutralise as much of the threat as possible. By picking paper, you automatically beat your opponent's strongest move and force a duel out of their second strongest. Always play it safe this way and and you will win a lot more.  

53 minutes ago, LC-Fraggers said:

I wanna share a couple of tips for the catfights because I was winning at least 3 out of every 5 tournaments I entered with this method. I won four on the bounce once.
- Always choose Jennifer. She has all 4/5 star attacks and a pre-emptive strike that triggers around 30-ish percent of the time.
- Bet 10 million. No idea if this is actually necessary but I did it every time and won a lot so why mess with success? Plus, you need to make a ton of money on catfights for your CP list anyway. At a 10 million buy-in, you'll get that done along the way to the trophy.
- Ignore your opponent's weakest rock/paper/scissors attack completely. They will barely ever use it. That leaves you with two choices: matching their pick or beating it. For example:

You:
Rock *****
Paper ****
Scissors ****

Opponent:
Rock ****
Paper ***
Scissors **

Here, we'd ignore scissors as their weakest move, so the choice is paper or rock. Pick paper and continue to spam paper for the entire round. Yes, your rock is stronger but the idea here is not to win duels outright but neutralise as much of the threat as possible. By picking paper, you automatically beat your opponent's strongest move and force a duel out of their second strongest. Always play it safe this way and and you will win a lot more.  

I remember following pretty much this exact thougth pattern, yet it barely worked. AI would still use their weak attacks just to counter me, or get a draw and win the mashing most of the time since its completely rigged. Got quite a few losses on the final match because of the bullshit hidden ability that literally says "You won! Wait hang on, actually no. Here is a surprise one hit kill at full health, dumb player!"

On that note, Cat Fight easily wins worst minigame by a wide-ass margin for the pure RNG and actually inflicting physical pain on my fingers with the stupid and lots os time unwinnable mashing.

For #2 I guess I'll go with Billiards just because winning at Expert difficulty is a pain. I eventually got extremely lucky and the CPU made 2 mistakes in a row, handing me the win.

#3... I'm not sure. Roulette is the one I probably spent the most time on after the other two, so that.

Edit: Just realized this is more of a Yakzua 0 thread, so I guess for #2 I'm going with the telephone stuff because it's annoying to keep trying until you get the right girls. Don't really have a third pick.

Edited by LionRed10

1 hour ago, LC-Fraggers said:

I've finished every minigame up to the end of Chapter 7 so I haven't done any of the West Park gambling yet but so far...

1.) Mahjong. First time playing it in any capacity but I know Poker and I play a lot of board games IRL so it wasn't a world away from either of those. Shittiest part is the RNG for a Full Straight. That part alone took me about 3 hours.

2.) Blackjack. Holy shit, what an irritating game to make money on. It's not difficult to win but it is incredibly difficult to build up any momentum with the betting increases. Best way is to buy in at 10,000 and play minimum bets until you rack up the multiplier to allow you to bet 5,000 or so. Then bet the max. Bank if you win, quit out if you lose. It's not worth wasting time trying to chase down your starting balance. 

3.) Poker was kinda aggravating because the RNG was just dogshit when I played it. No massive complaints though.

You:
Rock *****
Paper ****
Scissors ****

Opponent:
Rock ****
Paper ***
Scissors **

Mahjong is more like Rummy, and it's actually kinda fun. The completion requirements are BS though.

Before I go for the catfight trophy, do I need to mash or casually tapping will yield the same result? I am pretty sure it's pre-decided.

1 hour ago, LionRed10 said:

I remember following pretty much this exact thougth pattern, yet it barely worked. AI would still use their weak attacks just to counter me, or get a draw and win the mashing most of the time since its completely rigged. Got quite a few losses on the final match because of the bullshit hidden ability that literally says "You won! Wait hang on, actually no. Here is a surprise one hit kill at full health, dumb player!"

Did you stick with the same attack right the way through the match? A few times they'd use their weaker signs to counter me and try and trick me into changing but I just kept spamming and they'd usually give up and get KTFO.

51 minutes ago, boorish_brute said:

Before I go for the catfight trophy, do I need to mash or casually tapping will yield the same result? I am pretty sure it's pre-decided.

People say mashing doesn't make a difference. I can't say for sure if that's true or not but I mashed and I won a lot so take that for what it is. I don't think it would be in there if it made absolutely no difference at all. There's no other instance of that in the game whatsoever. I did notice I won considerably more of the mashing ties when the battle bar at the top of the screen said I had an advantage so maybe that figures into it. 

Edited by LC-Fraggers
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 0:54 PM, LC-Fraggers said:

Did you stick with the same attack right the way through the match? A few times they'd use their weaker signs to counter me and try and trick me into changing but I just kept spamming and they'd usually give up and get KTFO.

People say mashing doesn't make a difference. I can't say for sure if that's true or not but I mashed and I won a lot so take that for what it is. I don't think it would be in there if it made absolutely no difference at all. There's no other instance of that in the game whatsoever. I did notice I won considerably more of the mashing ties when the battle bar at the top of the screen said I had an advantage so maybe that figures into it. 

Just won 4/5 tournaments using this method and 71mil. Had to take a break because of the button mashing. It does seem to affect the result.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I only have 2:

• Batting: Idk, if it was because Y0 was my 1st approach to the saga, but I remember the timming of the batting be much more difficult than in the next games. That, and the issue to win raw benefits make the CPs time consuming and frustrating
  • Cat fights: well, I think this is one of the most hated minigames of all the saga, by almost everyone. Sure, there is "tricks" to more or less, improve your chances, but the randomness of some things make this a pain in the balls. The mashing is useless, doesn't matter if you mash the button until you break the DS, if the game don't want you to win, you won't win. And another thing that happened to me was by picking Jennifer, I was NEVER be able to beat Momoko (I fought her 6 or 7 times in the finals, and I lost everytime), I dunno if Momoko is some kind of "counter-class" from Jennefer or wtf, but...

1: Dancing, the timing of the buttons didn't match up with what was on screen 99% of the time and I had to spend an entire day dedicated to this damn mini game

2: all of the mini games in the homeless camp share this spot, I had to cheese every one of them by getting a small amount of points up just to back out to save my earned money. I swear all 4 of those games have anti player cheats active.

3: the telephone club girls: good idea in theory, terrible in practice. sometimes I matched up the voices on the videos and coming from the game pretty much perfectly and I got a different girl than it should be.

Edited by Rick_Sanchez

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So far just Out Run… can’t for the life of me even get over 2.9mil points >_< but guess it’s just cause I’m bad at racing games…

haven’t tried everything yet but seems shogi could be a pain in the butt if you had to actually win everything there… never been a chess buff… might try to get into it just for the heck of it… same with Mahjong but seems there is no choise but to get into mahjong tho xD 

• 4 weeks later...

The ones I dislike are:

1. Catfight Club (RNG at its worst. Lost at least 5 bets at the last round cause it was one of the girls that can revive themselves and instantly defeat your lady).

2. Mahjong (Having to learn a whole game of this type is not for me. I enjoyed the Monopoly-like in Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep more)

3. Fantasy Zone (The set score required in relation to the arcade game is an awful combination. Would of been fine if it was like 30000-40000)

• 2 weeks later...

1. Mahjong takes first place by a mile. It took me a whole weekend to get all of the CP. Took me forever to learn the rules, and even longer to go out with riichi.

2. Batting I found to be frustratingly difficult.

3. I had really bad luck with the RNG in Pocket Circuit even though I was using the setups in the guide.

• Like 1

1. Cat fights easily the one thing that kept me from getting a plat, but after getting it I knew I could get the rest.
2. I remember batting being tough to get the timing down.
3. Hmm I would say maybe outrun? while it wasnt annoying learning how to play those old sega games was tough at times lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mine is quite hard to follow along so be sure to buckle on in!

3. Starting off with my 3rd most hated, Catfights. 100% RNG based & I swear the game actively chooses the opposite of what you choose just to fuck with you.
2. Coming in with my second most hated minigame.... Catfights. Did you know when you tie & you spam X to do better, the outcome is actually pre-determined so no matter how slow or how fast you spam it, you'll still get the same outcome.
1. & finally, my most hated minigame in Yakuza 0. I know this may come as a surprise to some of you, but here it goes...... Catfights. Need I say anymore?

For real though, I either enjoy most minigames in the Yakuza series or I'm indifferent with them. But the fucking catfights are EASILY the worst minigame in any Yakuza game I've ever played & getting the trophy related to it was like pulling teeth. I actually did Mahjong's full completion faster than the single Catfight trophy. A lot of people dislike the Japanese card games as well like Koi Koi for example but I've actually come to enjoy them. Same with the other one (I can't remember the name of it) but it's essential like the War card game which is also played with the Hanafuda deck

Edited by ObsiEez
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For me, it's shogi. Absolutely shogi :(

I started out at the lowest difficulty and kept getting crushed because I was making mistakes that I didn't know about? I guess. Even when I got a grasp of where the pieces moved, it's still incredibly difficult.

Mahjong on the other hand, while long, can be a fun way to relax. I challenged myself to get the #1 ranking. I'm about 16 or 17 now. It's not too bad.

• 3 weeks later...

Mahjong took a while to get into but at least it felt like a decent time investment to learn how to play an established game. The gambling games could be a bit annoying but at least you know where you stand with them. Which brings me onto my three nominations, and please, don't stop me if you've heard this before. I need to get it out.

Catfights.

CATFIGHTS.

CATFDFIGIDFGILDFJHGFSISDJFGFDHJS!!!1

What a steaming pile of horse. RNG stacked on RNG with completely useless and misleading statistics. Bogus button bashing nonsense that, at best, activates some coin flip outcome, so, more RNG. The earning money requirement for this game is fine, but tying a trophy to it?!! Ten wins?!! Give me strength.

EDIT: So I sat down last night to get the Catfights trophy out the way and I think I found a system that seems to work. I managed to win four in a row, which would have been five if not for Maria's one hit comeback. Anyway, it's done and I still don't like you, Catfights.

Edited by gamer_darkly
Additional information