Last of us 3 story outline has been written

Thephoenixshow

10 hours ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I enjoyed the first Last of Us, felt it was kinda overrated but that's just about every modern Naughty Dog game in my eyes. Didn't feel like it needed a sequel and didn't really understand why they made one (aside from $$$ of course), haven't gotten around to that one yet. And now a potential third game... Can't help feeling they're just milking the series at this point. I'd even take a new Uncharted over this, even though I found 4 disappointing.

I just hope this series doesn't go on for too long, to the point where whatever the last games might be end up disappointing just about everyone. I always kind of prefer it when a game series ends on a high note, rather than dragging on and on, and ultimately not even really feeling like what made the games enjoyable to begin with.

I also have felt for a long time that TLOU is an overrated game. I also wish they would start a new IP. I differ in the fact that Uncharted 4 was easily my favourite Uncharted game, I think a large part of that comes from the fact that I had absolutely no nostalgia from the original 3 games and I feel they've aged horribly gameplay wise.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OmegaRejectz said:

I also have felt for a long time that TLOU is an overrated game. I also wish they would start a new IP. I differ in the fact that Uncharted 4 was easily my favourite Uncharted game, I think a large part of that comes from the fact that I had absolutely no nostalgia from the original 3 games and I feel they've aged horribly gameplay wise.

I think there's a big difference between not liking a game and thinking it is overrated. TLoU clearly isn't overrated. It may not be to everyone's liking, but it simply isn't an overrated game. It is a high quality game in many, many aspects.

I, for instance, dislike The Witcher 3. It feels like a very boring and repetitive game to me. But overrated? I really don't think it is, despite not being to my liking.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Gildo1993 said:

I think the franchise still has a lot of potential. Imagine how awesome a TLoU 3 focusing on Joel's years as a hunter before the events of the first game would be. I'd pay in gold for that.

In TLOU 3 we will probably play as David or one of his people, and experience the cruelty and sadism of Joel. They will be turned into sympathetic people, who help other communities! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HaserPL said:

In TLOU 3 we will probably play as David or one of his people, and experience the cruelty and sadism of Joel. They will be turned into sympathetic people, who help other communities! 

Thanks for letting us know since the beginning of all TLoU2 threads that you don't like this game mate. Everytime I open up a topic like this, I look forward to the most: you. 

Love you man

• Like 3

If this game ever happens, it won't be a prequel. And absolutely zero chance it will be set in Europe. 

Regardless, I don't even think that a prequel is even a good idea for Part 3. As much as I'd like to know what Joel and Tess had been doing before they met Ellie, this just sounds boring. Think about it. We already know they both survived, so you'll never be worried about them. We already know that Joel went through his biggest personal change in 20 years after he met Ellie, so we know his character developement won't compare to TLOU1. The story has to be personal and compelling. And the core idea has to take the center stage. Without that, all the exposition, lore, and worldbuilding will be meaningless. I'm sure it's possible to write something interesting, but personally, I can't think of an idea for a prequel that would be as captivating as, for example, trying to take revenge on a character that killed Joel.

A prequel setting would probably work better as a story DLC. But we know we're not getting that.

Edited by Alderriz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stardroid said:

Thanks for letting us know since the beginning of all TLoU2 threads that you don't like this game mate. Everytime I open up a topic like this, I look forward to the most: you. 

Love you man

That’s his opinion and I have to admit he’s right they did make dumb decisions on last of us 2 not just killing off Joel but a lot of other reasons in the game the only thing I enjoyed about last of us 2 was the gameplay that’s it. Characters, pacing, script was bad it’s like watching a great movies you love that was so well paced and engaging then the second one came and it completely destroys what was so special of the first one. It’s like lou1 is an hbo exclusive movie then cw took it over or Disney and just decide to change what was unique of the 1st one. Neil was not the only one that did lou1 writing Bruce straley also wrote to and I gotta tell u when Bruce left half of the fan base left with him. 

• Like 3

I don't understand everyone's obsession with Joel. This series was never about him. He played a major part in the first game and quite honestly the second, but it was never about him. The third game should be Abby going to find Ellie and bringing her back to the remaining Fireflies on Catalina and giving her the chance Joel took from her: giving her life up for the cure. That would be an epic game, they more than likely will bond, because they are very similar people. Im excited no matter what they do. I do hope it has Ellie, Dina, Abby and Lev in it though.

• Like 1

As far as I'm concerned, The Last of Us is a single game revolving around Joel and Ellie's relationship, and it never got a sequel. Easier to keep up the illusion when you don't play any of the games beyond that (I've seen more than enough of part 2 to know I want nothing to do with it), so suffice to say, I'm not interested in the inevitable part 3.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, kdogg_gamer_ said:

I don't understand everyone's obsession with Joel. This series was never about him. He played a major part in the first game and quite honestly the second, but it was never about him. The third game should be Abby going to find Ellie and bringing her back to the remaining Fireflies on Catalina and giving her the chance Joel took from her: giving her life up for the cure. That would be an epic game, they more than likely will bond, because they are very similar people. Im excited no matter what they do. I do hope it has Ellie, Dina, Abby and Lev in it though.

Having Ellie give up her life after everything that transpired in the first two games for a potential cure, would make Joel's sacrifice and death utterly pointless.

Joel's actions stemmed from showing Ellie she has plenty of reasons to live for. Words that ring true, now that she found Dina, and helps to raise the baby.

If we're ever seeing a Part III, then I might hope this will be the potential plot: Abby reunites with the Fireflies. They resume their plans to collect Ellie and take out her brain for research. As they track her down and kidnap her, things go completely awry and something terrible happens to Dina or the baby in the process, leaving Ellie completely distraught as she's kidnapped. Abby comes to the realization that they've pushed things too far, that the idea of the potential cure is not worth all this pain they're inflicting.  Abby has always been an intricate part of this herd mentality and now that she's gotten an external perspective (starting with Lev in TLOU2), her vision on the whole plan changes. The Fireflies disagree and a rift starts to occur between both her and the faction. To the point where the Fireflies cling persistently to their ideology, and Abby's conscience finally kicks in fully, where she turns against the Fireflies, frees Ellie and teams up with her to take them out permanently.

Because that's what the Fireflies still are and always have been: not a bunch of do-gooders. They're just another faction vying for power, and using the cure as a bargaining chip. Because developing the cure would not magically save everything: that's not how it works in a post-apocalyptic world, and this is not a fairytale of heroes and villains. It never has been. The world from before is too far gone and the Fireflies' ideology is just as flawed as everything else.

Not only would this storyline redeem Abby's character completely, but you'd get to see these two women finally find each other on the same page and finish what Joel started, it would tie up all the loose ends of the overall TLOU story and you'd end an award-winning trilogy on a big bang, having Abby sacrifice herself at the end saving Ellie as they've bonded over the course of the third and final entry.

If that would be the plotline for The Last of Us: Part III, I'm absolutely down to play it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JoaLoft said:

Having Ellie give up her life after everything that transpired in the first two games for a potential cure, would make Joel's sacrifice and death utterly pointless.

Joel's actions stemmed from showing Ellie she has plenty of reasons to live for. Words that ring true, now that she found Dina, and helps to raise the baby.

If we're ever seeing a Part III, then I might hope this will be the potential plot: Abby reunites with the Fireflies. They resume their plans to collect Ellie and take out her brain for research. As they track her down and kidnap her, things go completely awry and something terrible happens to Dina or the baby in the process, leaving Ellie completely distraught as she's kidnapped. Abby comes to the realization that they've pushed things too far, that the idea of the potential cure is not worth all this pain they're inflicting.  Abby has always been an intricate part of this herd mentality and now that she's gotten an external perspective (starting with Lev in TLOU2), her vision on the whole plan changes. The Fireflies disagree and a rift starts to occur between both her and the faction. To the point where the Fireflies cling persistently to their ideology, and Abby's conscience finally kicks in fully, where she turns against the Fireflies, frees Ellie and teams up with her to take them out permanently.

Because that's what the Fireflies still are and always have been: not a bunch of do-gooders. They're just another faction vying for power, and using the cure as a bargaining chip. Because developing the cure would not magically save everything: that's not how it works in a post-apocalyptic world, and this is not a fairytale of heroes and villains. It never has been. The world from before is too far gone and the Fireflies' ideology is just as flawed as everything else.

Not only would this storyline redeem Abby's character completely, but you'd get to see these two women finally find each other on the same page and finish what Joel started, it would tie up all the loose ends of the overall TLOU story and you'd end an award-winning trilogy on a big bang, having Abby sacrifice herself at the end saving Ellie as they've bonded over the course of the third and final entry.

If that would be the plotline for The Last of Us: Part III, I'm absolutely down to play it.

Joel didnt sacrifice anything. His motives were selfish and meaningless deaths in post apocalyptic worlds happen a lot. Which in my opinion is part of the problem. He was selfish and i love that they show him in a flawed light, he is a great character, and i think Abby was redeemed with Lev and not wanting to fight Ellie at the end. She doesn't need redemption.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kdogg_gamer_ said:

Joel didnt sacrifice anything. His motives were selfish and meaningless deaths in post apocalyptic worlds happen a lot. Which in my opinion is part of the problem. He was selfish and i love that they show him in a flawed light, he is a great character, and i think Abby was redeemed with Lev and not wanting to fight Ellie at the end. She doesn't need redemption.

Abby: "Heeey Ellie!"

Ellie: "Heeeey Abs, wassuuuppp"
Abby: "Let's be besties yeahhh?"
Ellie: "Yeahh for sure sis"
Abby: "No hard feels for ya buddy Joel?"
Ellie: "Nah its cool"

Abby: "Sweet sweet, listen uhm do you mind lying down on this slab? Me and my friends are gonna cut you open and take out your brain, you know, for science and shit"
Ellie: "Cool, let's see uhh yeah I'm free right now, actually, got nothing planned soooo"
Abby: "Alright, we'll hang, cool"

*Cut open Ellie, kill her, deliver the cure, everything gets magically solved, butterflies and rainbows everywhere, Clickers fall dead spontaneously, instant world peace, herds of unicorns sweeping majestically across open meadows--*

Okay let me stop you right there. That plot outline of her giving up everything for a cure - that would not fix the world at all! - sounds terrible, throws all character development out the window and would be nothing less than spitting on Joel's memory. If that would be the actual plotline, I'd guess that Naughty Dog hired Craig Thomas and Carter Bays (*) to co-write such a stinky dumpster fire.

(*) The writers of the sitcom "How I Met Your Mother". The ending of that show was a trainwreck too, where they ignored all character development in favor of creating a very forced ending to make two characters end up together.

1 hour ago, kdogg_gamer_ said:

He played a major part in the first game and quite honestly the second, but it was never about him. 

It was, though. The first game's story was entirely about Joel. The beginning is about how he loses a daughter. The middle is about how Ellie becomes a new daughter to him. The end is about what he does not to lose her too.

The focus shifted in the sequel. That's when the series was no longer about him.

On 4/28/2021 at 6:20 PM, PatinumNumemon said:

Eww, why? I want a new IP. I am tired of both Uncharted and The Last of Us, can we get something new?? It seems like the only series I will ever care about from Naughty Dog will be Jak and Daxter, something they probably don't want to touch ever again.

Because business. There won't get a new IP, or it will take much longer to come into existence, purely because of people who just can't get enough of both franchises and think they're the two greatest game series of all time and that deserve all the attention over new/buried IPs. Frankly, you really don't want a new Jak and Daxter game from this studio. Up until The Last of Us: Part II I was one of the few fans who believed they were still the best first party studio to handle this specific series right, especially in regards to technical designs, instead of those who just wanted it from them because "they're" the "creators" of the IP, but after seeing what they did in and with TLOU2 they went past a point of no return. I looked past the controversial things that started with TLOU, when it was lowkey, but kicked off with Left Behind and all of their releases after that, despite the fact that it was evidently getting worse, but TLOU2 itself took everything to a whole different level than LB, U4, and UTTL ever did. Specific things Naughty Dog have been trying to do, Telltale has done it better with their zombie apocalyptic universe and its characters.

The series undoubtedly deserves to come back, especially since there are legitimately three separate storylines spread across the last three games (J3, JX, TLF) that all ended on a blatant cliffhanger. There's far more to do with the series than most people in opposition fail to realize and understand, buried potential that was never even acknowledged let alone utilized, and it can quite easily surpass Ratchet & Clank which hasn't been in its prime since its pre-2010 releases. The series can easily become this phenomenal hybrid or sorts of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Ratchet & Clank in one, all of which have been critically and commercially successful games on their own. 

For now I strongly recommend you look into this colorful, unique, and fun action-RPG coming out next month called Biomutant, which looks incredible. While the developer explicitly said it's structurally more akin to Breath of the Wild than Horizon Zero Dawn, they also went on to state one of the game's inspirations is Jak and Daxter, so that might be of interest to you for obvious reasons.

On 4/29/2021 at 8:53 AM, kdogg_gamer_ said:

I don't understand everyone's obsession with Joel. This series was never about him. He played a major part in the first game and quite honestly the second, but it was never about him. 

It's so easy to say that in hindsight after the sequel, just like it is to say "the first game is about love", which was pioneered by Naughty Dog to help make force "Part II" feel like a necessary sequel (which it still isn't and never will be, especially after they already once said they'd prefer Joel and Ellie's story to just be confined in the first game around 2013), but TLOU was most definitely about Joel. The story structure is even more character-driven and personal than it is plot-driven.

Edited by EcoShifter

25 minutes ago, kdogg_gamer_ said:

Thats the thing the only person who knew how to make a vaccine was Jerry he was like the Jesus of the apocalypse. It died with him there is no cure 

4 hours ago, Stardroid said:

Love you man

You may see me as a hater or someone who has a butthurt, but if you want to know who was waiting for TLOU2 the most, then it's me. I even asked my best friend that in the case of me dying before TLOU2 releases, he would go visit my grave and tell me the story of it. That's how much I cared and waited for the game. Now, if you see someone like me who wanted the game to be good, I'm not even gonna touch upon how much TLOU means to me and how it affected me personally, complain every single time about it, and sharing their disappointment, then maybe, just maybe, there is something wrong with the game in the first place? It wouldn't even be a problem if there was a general consensus that the game has problems. It's not utter garbage, but it's not a masterpiece either. But whenever I see a post about the game and see all these people who say it was a fantastic experience, and how much they loved it, I think did they even play the game in the first place? Or they simply cannot process the information and are simply blind to the problems this game has. It's one thing to not care about stupid things, it's something entirely different to pretend they don't exist in the first place. 

• Like 2