Your Very First Manga/Anime?

-Dark Mark-

Can't remember if I already posted here...

My first anime was DragonBall Z (I got the VHS before it even aired on italian TV, I was a pretty spoiled boy).

Then, my first manga was Death Note. And it was the seventh volume. Man, I should really begin series from the first entry.

• 1 month later...

First Anime is probably pokemon, I always watched it as a kid right after school! ?

First anime that I was aware of it being an anime was Naruto. I was stuck in a hospital for about 2 weeks when I was 12 and had nothing better to do than watch TV all day, and i got into it. #noregrets

First Manga is GetBackers (which was in my dentist's waiting area LOL) or detective conan (through my sister's best friend)

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly can't remember, but I know the main 2 I watched in the morning before school was Dragon Ball Z and Gundam Wing back in 96/97 on cheeze tv. I then found Adult Swim on Cartoon network at 9pm onwards to watch Cowboy bebop, Ghost in the Shell and Neon Genesis Evangelion..

As for manga I've only just started in the last few years but I'm pretty sure it was Naruto because I got sick of watching fillers and wanted to know what was actually happening in the main story ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

First anime - Pokémon.

I was too little to remember (around 7 years old), but I used to watch it on TV. I only have a couple of memories, one of which is the touching ending of the first or second Pokémon movie. I think I watched it on VHS.

We didn't have Pokémon games or cards here, but we used to play Pogs/Caps with counterfeit Pokémon branding. And I also still have a book with all gen 1 Pokémon illustrations and info.

First manga - One Punch-Man.

Not much to say other than it was only the first volume and a few chapters after that ?. I liked it though.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 3

First Anime - Goblin Slayer: Introduced to anime over a talk with a friend a few years ago, we decided to watch it together to see if I would like it, haven't stopped watching anime since.

Manga - Attack On Titan: I read it when the series had been confirmed to have part 2 of season 4, and enjoyed the first the 3 seasons.

• Like 1

First anime i can recall witnessing was either sailor moon or dbz back when they were on Saturday morning syndication but i didn't really get invested much until thier toonami run as the timeslots were all over the place and the Saturday morning blocks often played episodes out of order(sailor moon wasn't as big a deal as it had a decent amount of standalone episodes earlier in each of thier seasons and they did make sure not to mess with the order when actual story arcs played but dbz is pretty much unwatchable without watching in order and it was jarring watching the raditz fight only for next weeks episode to be about gohan in the woods befriending a dinosaur). The first i got invested in was pokemon because what 5-13 old wasn't watching that damn show in 99 or 2000 then after that i found toonami who were actually playing sailor moon and dbz in thier proper order and then i got invested in most of what they played.

• Like 2

I cannot remeber my first manga but my first anime ( not that my young self know what anime was back in the day) was Dragon Ball, Pokemon, Rurouni Kenshin. One of my first exposure was Gall Force, it was a movie that i watch frequently but of course i didn't understand much and how deep it was but now as i am older i have a new appreciaton for that film. I haven't see all the OVA  but is one of the best Sci-Fi/Post Apocalyptic series i have see. I still have the VHS tape?

IMG-20221205-184155-hdr.jpg

• Like 1

First anime (without knowing it was anime):Vickie the Wiking. A anime from the 70s. Watched a rerun of it when I was 4 or 5 years old.

3940.jpg

Real first anime: Armitage III: Poly-Matrix. We have a television channel here in germany called VOX.They had a show called DCTP Nacht Club. The show started friday night around midnight and showed different animes that were chosen under different themes (Sci Fi, Street Fighter 2 The Animated Series, Macross, Hentai the 90s where wild). Armitage III was the first anime I watched on that show. I think it must be in the late 90s as I was already in secondary school. The art style blow me away, but I think the story about androids that can`t be distinguished from humans and what makes a human human went a bit over my head at the time.

65181l.jpg

First manga: Kya Asamya - Dark Angel. Bought it on my local railway station kiosk. From what I remember, your standart 90s fantasy manga about a teen/young adult with dark wings, who travelled to a forbidden land. I can say, that I really liked the art style.

216858.jpg

• Like 2

I watched Naruto in middle school because all my friends were watching it. I didn't actually enjoy it but pretended to to fit in. I didn't even get very far into it, barely into the chunin exam finals.

The first anime I actually watched willingly was Black☆Rock Shooter which remains as my favorite anime.

For manga I'm pretty sure it was Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles followed by xxxHolic. I haven't read manga in about 7 years though. I found Black☆Rock Shooter through it's manga as well. 

• Like 1

Interesting question, i think maybe by accident it was princess of the thousand years or captain harlock, that was like my first look at anime, i remember thinking how weird yet beautiful the drawings were..

And some time later the animes i started watching without skipping any episode or lore were dragon quest dai and saint seiya

• Like 1

I don't know if this counts.  I think it does.  And I am really dating myself with this, but waaaay back in the day - back in the 80s, to be exact - when I was a wee lad, it would have been Voltron.  I still have the theme song burned into my brain.  I'm going back to 1985, '86, '87 or so.  Every weekday afternoon after school, that was the "must watch" at the time.  Ah yeah.  Those were the days.  Good times.

More recently, I'd say Naruto.  But really I don't watch too much anime.  I don't have the time.  And I've tried to watch every episode of Naruto, but I can't.  I got as far as episode....136, 137 of the Shonen Jump era and gave up.  Between the Shonen Jump and Shippuden eras, there are about 750 or so episodes.  I just can't.  I play through the games for the main story arc.  Besides that, well, I think that's it.  I'm sure I've watched a few others, but nothing else comes to mind right now.  So yeah.  The first one is Voltron....if that counts.  If not then Naruto, I suppose. 

And I've never read any manga so....?‍♂️

Edited by Spider-Man916
  • Like 1

As far as I remember this was the first anime I watched:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMsKlYbx2dGmPvrTbJWib

But the movie Spirited Away was what got me really into anime just wanted to watch more stuff similar to it.

I don’t read much manga not sure which was first, The only thing I remember is that this one was the first I read from start to finish, From what I recall I think it was decent its been ages.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCMWi9ZwNrNiBjPCryrtu

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First anime I watched as a kid: Pokémon. Shouldn't come as a surprise. However, something I didn't know back then was that it was an anime. Then again, how was I supposed to know that word when I first saw it? I never heard anyone using that word back then, so that's why it took me so long to discover it.

First anime I saw as a teen but wasn't an otaku yet: Dragon Ball Z. Summer 2006 was a great time for me. So many different anime series aired on TV in that time, like Fullmetal Alchemist, Neon Genesis Evangelion and of course, Dragon Ball Z. Unlike the other two which I never saw back then, the latter one was something I always hyped since they showed multiple episodes in one go and they were always entertaining to watch making that summer vacation even better. The arc I remember seeing was the Majin Buu arc and I think I saw all the episodes related to that. I'll have to watch that again someday. I'm pretty sure nostalgia is going to hit hard when that time comes.

First anime (and manga) that started my otaku hobby: Soul Eater. This was the big one for me. if it wasn't for that one shopping trip I did back in 2013, I don't know if I'd ever started watching anime. Which is why I'm grateful that when I happened to see Volume 9 of the manga on the magazine stand out of nowhere, I decided to buy it (and the previous Volumes, as well as the anime series on DVD, shortly after that) after it somehow got me intrigued, and I'm glad it did. It gave me something new. A new hobby. And yeah, the ending the anime adaptation has may be not be that great, but even with that, I'll say that the show is one of the most important series to me, and it still deserves to be on my Top 10 anime list, even if it has flaws.

Edited by MrGarland