Such a great game

AtotheMtotheZ

Just finished the game (not sure about that secret ending though - maybe need to get all storylines at 100%), please do enlighten if possible without spoiling ?

Haven't played too many games like that so far, but I was really impressed!

- The world is amazing (love the dynamic weather and how it shows on everything),

- The story is not something special, but is good(not worse than 80% of movies anyways...), it made me want to know more and watch the cinematics - did prefer the bromance over the romance to be honest

- Many complained about the voice acting but I did like it personally

- Gameplay is great, has its issues sometimes (didn't run in any game breaking glitch or anything, yet, still have to do the 2nd playthrough - just the casual slow button input regarding :square:

What somewhat put me off was at the beginning with the few available materials at the time how easy you'd full up, making it obsolete to actually go around and search, which felt a bit disappointing. Of course, as you go on and unlock more storage through passive and get access to more materials, scavenging makes more sense. The item wheel sometimes got frustrating, specially when in the heat of the battle and trying to get the right item but it just doesn't want to. Hordes are something else!! Sometimes it's a small one, sometimes you get an almost endless wave, never know what to expect, makes up for some interesting encounters

- Trophy list is amazing, and straightforward, this is how I like them for open world games. And the cherry on top, 75% of collectibles, actually letting you immerse in the game and don't really giving a hoot about them 

I don't know if I'll enjoy it the same the second way around, but the first one was amazing, definitely was worth it!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rejim said:

Just finished the game (not sure about that secret ending though - maybe need to get all storylines at 100%), please do enlighten if possible without spoiling 1f605.png

Haven't played too many games like that so far, but I was really impressed!

- The world is amazing (love the dynamic weather and how it shows on everything),

- The story is not something special, but is good(not worse than 80% of movies anyways...), it made me want to know more and watch the cinematics - did prefer the bromance over the romance to be honest

- Many complained about the voice acting but I did like it personally

- Gameplay is great, has its issues sometimes (didn't run in any game breaking glitch or anything, yet, still have to do the 2nd playthrough - just the casual slow button input regarding :square:

What somewhat put me off was at the beginning with the few available materials at the time how easy you'd full up, making it obsolete to actually go around and search, which felt a bit disappointing. Of course, as you go on and unlock more storage through passive and get access to more materials, scavenging makes more sense. The item wheel sometimes got frustrating, specially when in the heat of the battle and trying to get the right item but it just doesn't want to. Hordes are something else!! Sometimes it's a small one, sometimes you get an almost endless wave, never know what to expect, makes up for some interesting encounters

- Trophy list is amazing, and straightforward, this is how I like them for open world games. And the cherry on top, 75% of collectibles, actually letting you immerse in the game and don't really giving a hoot about them 

I don't know if I'll enjoy it the same the second way around, but the first one was amazing, definitely was worth it!

After finishing the game at some point

Spoiler

O'Brian

will contact you and give the secret ending. 

• Like 1

It was a good game to plot along with and the challenges added some extra struggle to the survivor playthrough. Besides the gameplay, some story aspects annoyed me and logically wouldn't make sense. Other than that gripe its a decent game and more people should play it.

Would play it again.

Edited by AnOrdinaryBloke

I really enjoyed playing it. It has a very long campaign which is something that I personally like. The only bad was those graphic bugs and human enemies that did not appear in some areas. And the Challenges were not my cup of tea, but with practice and watching videos you learn how to do it. ?

On 28/04/2021 at 9:41 PM, AtotheMtotheZ said:

I saw all the bad reviews and I didn't get my hopes up but man did this game surprise me. Let me tell you why:

- i loved the story. The secret ending was the cherry on top. 

- the game was so long and so much work was put into making the story of it. At a moment I thought the game was gonna finish, but then it continued and I realized that it wasn't even the half of the game.

- nice upgrade system.

- it is challenging.

- pretty good graphics given the PS4. I bet it rocks the PS5.

- like-able characters.

- battling hordes is pretty challenging and fun.

- loved the slow-mo focus concept.

What I did not like:

- game glitched once and it was bad.

- sometimes the graphics wouldn't load. It would be like playing on very low on a computer. Looked really nasty. Anyway, it was just a couple of times, nothing too bad.

- AI seemed pretty retarded sometimes in terms of stealth detection, but nothing too bad.

I know this game was glitched like hell at launch so anyone who got it then probably hates it, but now it's a really impressive game. 

One of the best games I played. And man do I really want to see Days Gone 2 after that secret ending.

I didn't see many bad reviews of the game, I got it with PS+ and I enjoyed it but after doing 2 play throughs to 100% it I'd had enough. I didn't think it was that challenging (except for the DLC challenges, now they ARE challenging) and I didn't get any game breaking glitches, just the occasional 'stuck in the surroundings'. 

I agree with one of the other posts that says some aspects of the story didn't make sense and were illogical. Continuing with the game after the credits is a must especially the O'Brian cutscene and with that would want me to play 'Days Gone 2'

I played on both PS4 Pro and PS5 and didn't notice any difference graphically to be honest.

I envy those who are experiencing it for the first time in native 4K/60Hz. Most of Days Gone's shortcomings were attributed to technological limitations and optimisation.

A common critique the game head was that some people thought the first act was too slow but I disagree with this since I've been gaming on PS One and games in those time (and they were good and interesting to play too) did not need to crutch on short term dopamine cycle rewards to prove a shallow merit. Days Gone does what it does to get the player into the headspace of Deacon's world.

Edited by Eraezr

Slower burn in the beginning than some of Sony's other first party titles. Besides that, it's a mostly-as-high-polished and in some cases more-polished game than Sony's top first party titles. 

I played it after Horizon Zero Dawn, Marvel Spider-Man, and The Last of Us: Part II, in that order, of first party titles, and while it utterly did not seem like it would be the case in the beginning, I ended up having enjoyed Days Gone the most out of those. Didn't even have my first playthrough on PS5, which is a completely different experience and so far the superior experience.

Excellent fanmade story-based trailer. . . 

Link form to avoid SPOILERS - Don't watch if you haven't finished the main-story: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyGaO_OEW8Q 

A sequel to this game would just be terrifyingly good. My only concerns would be where could they take the characters next to deliver a just as good or especially superior story (especially without the original writer), in a NATURAL feeling way. A certain other game, sequel actually, with a similar setting utterly did not do it right ?.

The upcoming PC version, which is looking to become the best version, comes out May 18th. That's going to be the complete game with all its patches, updates, and DLCs.

Edited by EcoShifter

39 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

I played it after Horizon Zero Dawn, Marvel Spider-Man, and The Last of Us: Part II, in that order, of first party titles, and while it utterly did not seem like it would be the case in the beginning, I ended up having enjoyed Days Gone the most out of those.

I had the exact same experience with this game. Went into it with pretty low expectations based on the way it got savaged by critics and players alike early on. But a year or so after launch, my interest was piqued when I started noticing a steady stream of people either playing it for the first time or going back to it, and then declaring it the best thing since sliced bread. I had to see for myself.

Out of all the Sony exclusives, this has become one of my favourites by far, and edges out all 3 games mentioned above by quite a wide margin. I’d also rank this in my top 5 or so funnest platinums I’ve done to date, as I thought it had a near perfect trophy list for the base game. I probably earned about 90% of the trophies naturally just by playing through the story. 

I cannot wait to go back in the future and mop up the challenge stuff and NG+/Survival II trophies so I have an excuse to replay the game. I’ll probably wait until I get a PS5 for that.

Having now finished the story i can give my opinion . 1st up I see folk moaning about the length of the story , if they had made it a short story guarenteed everyone would moan that its too short . I dont care either way , short stories are good for me so are long stories ,

As for the game it takes a while to get going which probably adds to the feeling of the story dragging on a bit , again i dont mind this it gives you time to get to grips with it. The story itsself isnt amazing but its decent .

Deeks seems to get alot of hate from the gaming press but i quite liked him , he's a douche in a likeable kind of way . The gameplay reminded me alot of Farcry 5/new dawn but the gunplay wasnt upto Farcry standards , ripping about on the bike was a blast ,barely used fast travel on the story and even mopping up trophies im still driving most of it . The human enemies were nothing special but the mutants were savage and aggressive and the hordes were insane .

All in all i loved it ,didnt think id like it when it came out , wish id bought it now .

Fingers crossed Sony change their minds about a sequel , i have a feeling they will

Pro's

Great fun ripping around on the bike

Oregon is a great setting

Hordes were insane

Good variety of missions and enemies

Decent story and characters

Cons

Gunplay needs some work

Weapon wheel thing was a bit janky

iv played alot of class games lately ,Yakuza like a dragon and god of war FF7 and this is up there with those . Defo in my top 10 games of the PS4 era , possibly top 5

• Like 1

awesome game

the challenges are a added mess though. alot of people completed them with ease by glitching them, so then the rest of us who waited for them to all come out before playing then realized we were screwed because they patched the hell out of them. who the hell wants to spend 8 hours trying to do that first challenge. or riding the bike hoping it just doesnt flip and crash on a pebble. it also sucked adding the extra crap after some of us were already finished making us redo it again. i think i did 3 playthroughs

Edited by melodicmizery

PC version of Days Gone launched today. From my understanding so far it's a much better port at launch than Horizon Zero Dawn was. That's good news.

Out of all the Sony exclusives, this has become one of my favourites by far, and edges out all 3 games mentioned above by quite a wide margin.

I’d also rank this in my top 5 or so funnest platinums I’ve done to date, as I thought it had a near perfect trophy list for the base game. I probably earned about 90% of the trophies naturally just by playing through the story. 

I cannot wait to go back in the future and mop up the challenge stuff and NG+/Survival II trophies so I have an excuse to replay the game. I’ll probably wait until I get a PS5 for that.

I can especially concur with that from the perspective of a PS5 gamer. TLOU2 (for whatever strange reason), HZD, nor MSM (original) can be played at unlocked framerate on PS5. All 30FPS. Humorously, the game people would consider the weakest is the only one that can be played at above-30FP. HZD needs to be played on PC for that feature and "dynamic foliage", which is something that has existed in DG since the original PS4 version. MSM players need the PS5 exclusive remaster to experience the game at unlocked framerate. TLOU2 players (unlike Ghost of Tsushima players) are still waiting for a patch on PS5.

Jeff the game director originally wanted to make the trophy list more difficult, so perhaps it's a good thing that idea didn't see the light of day. It is a mostly great list that avoids making the same obnoxious mistake other list have made in requiring the player to do virtually everything, if not everything.

I had no issues starting up this incredible game again right after beating it, but I'm saving my secondary playthrough for the future, especially since I played so much post-game that I basically know the world by heart.

Edited by EcoShifter
wording
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 19.05.2021 at 3:06 AM, EcoShifter said:

PC version of Days Gone launched today. From my understanding so far it's a much better port at launch than Horizon Zero Dawn was. That's good news.

I heard somewhere on youtube that Days Gone is using Unreal Engine 4 in contrast to other first-party games from Sony. If that is true then porting to PC should be (relatively) easy job.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I just finished up days gone and all the actual side content with story. I am playing the free PS+ collection one on PS5. I like the gameplay a lot. Aside from melee combat which just feels too basic. And the mid-section of the game was way too long for me. A lot of it was just riding around with the lost lake camp people which i didn't enjoy. But aside from those weak points theres a lot of things i do love like the hordes, weapon variety and customizing your bike. (the Death stranding baby fuel tank is psychotic though lol). The secret ending mentioned earlier was pretty dope, but it left me with some questions. Maybe this game will have a sequal? I dunno. There was also one character which i felt that should have been left out because she wasn't interesting at all and to me just felt like she was only there to set up a rescue mission here and there which was Lisa. Trophies aren't too bad either. Since the game won't ask you to 100% everything like a lot of games do. For as fun as hordes are i don't wanna do 40 of them. and since there are over 200 collectibles, i am glad you only need 75%. Things like that really made me apreciate the thoughts that went into the trophy list. The only problematic one is the 45 skill ones. Since XP is slow after you beat everything and I only just reached 42. But you can continue this in the new game+ mode so it is not too big of a deal.

17 minutes ago, Gr4de_04 said:

I just finished up days gone and all the actual side content with story. I am playing the free PS+ collection one on PS5. I like the gameplay a lot. Aside from melee combat which just feels too basic. And the mid-section of the game was way too long for me. A lot of it was just riding around with the lost lake camp people which i didn't enjoy. But aside from those weak points theres a lot of things i do love like the hordes, weapon variety and customizing your bike. (the Death stranding baby fuel tank is psychotic though lol). The secret ending mentioned earlier was pretty dope, but it left me with some questions. Maybe this game will have a sequal? I dunno. There was also one character which i felt that should have been left out because she wasn't interesting at all and to me just felt like she was only there to set up a rescue mission here and there which was Lisa. Trophies aren't too bad either. Since the game won't ask you to 100% everything like a lot of games do. For as fun as hordes are i don't wanna do 40 of them. and since there are over 200 collectibles, i am glad you only need 75%. Things like that really made me apreciate the thoughts that went into the trophy list. The only problematic one is the 45 skill ones. Since XP is slow after you beat everything and I only just reached 42. But you can continue this in the new game+ mode so it is not too big of a deal.

IIRC then the hordes are worth a lot of EXP and they will appear on the map in red at some point in time, should definitely be there when you are done with the rest of the game. Wrap up all the other trophies, buy the most powerful LMG and then start taking down hordes. It's a fun time and should get you to max level in a couple of hours.

Edited by iriihutoR84

Completely agree. I had heard so much about this game being really good, and when it became a PS plus I HAD to give it a go. And boy am I glad I did ? even when you are a weaker character the game is brilliant, then you become strong and can change your play style accordingly and become the zombie hoard slayer ? I don’t usually enjoy these type of games but I feel this is a masterpiece. I would welcome this to become a PS5 upgrade. 

• Like 1

Played it back in 2019. It was a "dark horse" for me since its announce on E3. Overall my expectations weren't high and in the end the game totally met them. 

Gameplay and general idea of it is cool. On higher difficulty it felt something like The Lat of Us in open world (gameplaywise). Constant need to repair and refuel your bike motivated to explore the map and search for supplies. Zombies and hordes were fun too. Human AI wasn't great though.

The weakest point for me was the story and overall execution. First, I think it was too long. There were too many filler quests in between important plot points. The story itself wasn't really memorable. The most interesting development was around the virus and 

Spoiler

O'Brian

His ending was expected, but still good.

Things I do remembered the most, are fade ins and fade outs. Don't know if it got fixed/patched, but when I played, OMG, there were millions of black screens. Before Days Gone, Uncharted 4 showed us a perfect transition from cutscene to gameplay. God of War made a whole game look like one-shot camera take, almost no cuts through the entire game. Those games set the bar very high in terms of story telling.

With all that being said, I still enjoyed this game and I think it was/is better than the majority of AAA multiplatform games. Most famous critics were a bit harsh on the game. If the sequel will ever happen, I'll buy it, if not, I won't be disappointed too much.

The only thing I didn’t like was it didn’t start to get really good until about the halfway point. Then I loved it. 

Just now, sealightbreeze said:

I really wish that they would release a sequel. I know a few months ago they wanted to. But opted to remake The Last Of Us instead. Still hoping for a sequel soon 

TLOU remake has nothing to do with Days Gone sequel. It just didn’t sell enough at launch. As the former director for the game recently said in an interview if you want a sequel, then buy a game at full price. Waiting for a sale doesn’t do them any good. 

6 minutes ago, I-Reaped-U said:

The only thing I didn’t like was it didn’t start to get really good until about the halfway point. Then I loved it. 

TLOU remake has nothing to do with Days Gone sequel. It just didn’t sell enough at launch. As the former director for the game recently said in an interview if you want a sequel, then buy a game at full price. Waiting for a sale doesn’t do them any good. 

Actually, it does. They opted for that one instead. I DID buy the game at full price. Besides, that is a really bad marketing strategy. More likely to piss people off with that thinking

Edited by sealightbreeze