Is This Game Any Good?

It’s great... it’s basically a remaster/remake/reboot of the game NieR Replicant from... 2010 or something (or NieR Gestalt by another name or just NieR)... it’s a prequel to NieR Automata and also a sequel (kinda) to the Drakengard Series from PS2 and PS3...

if you like action RPG with a very mysterious piece together story it’s great :) different endings to unfold the whole story that you slowly piece together

• Like 1

Without saying too much, it's the remake of an atypical JRPG that likes to subvert player expectations about the genre. Which made it a cult classic.

While still showing traces of its roots as an early PS3 title, the remake improves on nearly aspect of the game, especially the combat system, and adds new story parts to expand the narrative. It is without a doubt the definitive version of the game and the one to play from now on.

Now, if you don't know anything about the NieR franchise and , you'd probably better start with its sequel, NieR: Automata, which is arguably a better game by all aspects. The two game are mostly unrelated, story wise, so you can start by whichever you want without problem.

• Like 3

Yea, it was always great.  The combat was clunky as hell though.  Like I played the original a couple months ago to see it again when they announced this.  And it did not she well.  But the combat is a lot more fun.  You have this flash step now to get behind the enemy.  And there isn't the whole animation when you pick something off the ground that lasts five seconds. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Ilzaki said:

Yea, it was always great.  The combat was clunky as hell though.  Like I played the original a couple months ago to see it again when they announced this.  And it did not she well.  But the combat is a lot more fun.  You have this flash step now to get behind the enemy.  And there isn't the whole animation when you pick something off the ground that lasts five seconds. 

As far as the game was concerned, the combat was the worst part. It's nice to hear that it's been touched up

• Like 1

It also adds material from a Japanese exclusive book, Grimoire Nier, that the PS3 game didn't have. Not everything from Grimoire Nier was added mostly because some of the tales would make the rating AO or maybe even illegal to sell in some countries. If you have the time listen to the original game's soundtrack. The new renditions are still good but I still love the originals to death. Play Replicant first because some of the characters and side quests in Automata won't hit as powerfully if that's your first game.

On 29.4.2021 at 3:59 PM, Tetho_mig said:

Only during the (formerly) DLC part. You have to play most of the game with Brother Nier.

But as someone who used to think that Dad Nier was a better MC, I must admit that story-wise Brother Nier makes way much sense.

Really depends on which dialogues. The Yonah dynamic hits a lot harder wit Papa Nier. The group dynamic works at times in a more believable way with Brother Nier.

I would say Yonah is the most important so Papa Nier it is for me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if I can add too much more than others have already said but, emphatically, YES!

I've dumped 50 hours into it already and am still having a ton of fun. The combat has been significantly improved from the original and the additional story pieces are really good (the story, overall, is just really neat). Highly recommend if you like action RPGs.

It's actually better than the ps3 one (at least the non-japanese one). The brother as MC is much better than the father. The difference between Act 1 and Act 2 is more emphatic. Although i must admit it's a bit depressing replaying it when you know the story. 

Spoiler

I just did the side quest ''Search for the Shade'' and i realized that the small shade wasn't attacking me, just trying to avoid me :(