First impressions

bebecaow

So this game wasn't really on my radar until this week even though I've known about it since a couple of months back. However, I decided to get it on launch and I am extremely happy that I did. After spending about three hours with it I'm really excited to see what this game has to offer further down the line. I pretty much love everything this game has had to offer this far. The mystery, the gameplay mechanics and the world design is all top notch.

Furthermore the optimization of the Dualsense is incredible and the gunplay is awesome. The Dualsense in combination with the 3D audio makes for one of the most (if not the most) immersive experiences I've had in gaming ever.

I also really love how difficult the game is. Knowing how much is at stake with each death really ramps up the intensity of difficult encounters and boss fights. I know some people are passing at this game because of the platinum difficulty, and while I imagine some of the trophies will be really tough to get, at this point I would recommend anyone with a PS5 to pick up this game. If you're really that worried you should pick it up anyway and play it on an alt account. Thus far I just think this game is too good to pass on!

How are your first impressions of the game? Keep it spoiler free!

• Like 4

Just played about 45 mins.. and i really like it, fantastic really it will be system seller for awhile. I am a bit biased though, Fan of third person shooters and fast paced combat that forces you keep moving like Doom and Control. Top that off with Alien Prometheus / HR Giger art style and being a roguelite will have me hooked for sometime I think this is all I will be playing for awhile on PS5 until I beat it..

My only negative so far is that I was expecting more detail in the in game play graphics, have seen some very close pop in. But if that is a bit is a downgrade to make it run at 60fps consistently then I'll take it.

Also loving the haptics and adaptive trigger use, good soundtrack and 3d sound.. 

Edited by SlipingJimmy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fr_0zt said:

2.5 hours in and I'm liking it (8/10).  2 deaths so far, one to you know who and the other in a locked room on the second biome (I was low on health 1f622.png

Gonna take a brake and back in I go. 

Damn, 2 deaths is impressive to me! I died 7 times playing this yesterday and never made it past the first boss ?

• Like 3

I think i'm done with this game to be honest. Its more frustrating than fun. I just had the first boss to half of his last health bar left and my game crashed so was right back at the start.

I'm never going to see the end of the game so whats the point in trying. I have plenty of other games in my backlog and i'll be selling this while it still has value.

I suspect there will be LOTS of second hand copies available soon.

• Like 1

I usually avoid roguelite games. But, I knew I wanted this one. It's very addicting.

Great gameplay and awesome enemies. No crashes for me yet, just several deaths

and only 1 boss fight so far. I only stopped playing right now so I can go to bed and

go to the dentist. I'll definitely be playing this all weekend and trying to get past the 

first boss. 

Edited by I-Reaped-U
  • Like 1

I’ve had 6 deaths so far. Was at the boss of second biome. At least I think he was the boss. There was no red door. But it was a boss like arena with 3 health bars. The teleporting enemies in second world are real assholes.

Loving the game so far. Challenging but fair. And the gunplay is frenetic and intense when you’re all of a sudden in a locked room with enemies and you’re dashing, shooting and just trying to get out alive. 

• Like 1

Second level is easier, I think, but the boss is more difficult (left me on 1 HP ?).  Died on biome 3 to some droids that shoot missiles. 

Edit:

Second boss

I'll go at it later today, cuz defo need my heart rate to go down. ?

Make sure you use doors (open/close) to cheese some encounters and for the love of God, do get that weapon that PS5 trophies mentioned.  IT MELTS! 

Edited by Fr_0zt
  • Like 2

I don't know how I feel so far. Two things that are immediately driving me crazy is how fast the yellow currency disappears and how fast the main character runs -- moving through the world feels too fast and unrealistic. But I'm looking forward to spending more time with the title this weekend.

Died about 5 times to the first boss before calling it a night. Some of the 'rooms' are starting to repeatedly come up - which I suppose this is the limitation of the randomly generated environments.

Might just be me, but the default button for dashing seems counter-intuitive. Might remap it to a paddle.

• Like 1

I’m really enjoying it. Only played for 2 hours, taking my time and trying to learn the game.

it’s not my usual type of game but I really enjoyed what I saw in videos. 

Died 2 times (once to the first biome boss) at no point did I feel the game was difficult though and I’m not great at these type of games. 

Looks great, feels great with the dual sense and sounds awesome with headphones on

9/10 from me

Would be nice to have any impressions, but literally no place near me has the fucking game for some reason. Even amazon delayed it. Weird.

Finally finished act 1.  The third biome is horrendous!!, specially the boss and the last stretch to get to him AND I beat him with the pistol (do not do this) cuz it's got a range limit and he's super far on his final bar, so you really gotta get to mid "arena" or close to him. 

4 was no issue, aside from the boss that nearly got me.  I'm now on biome 5, I think.  It's the snow one but that's it for me today, I really need to rest.  ?

I had a great run, defeated first boss on my first try and almost got to the second boss. Unfortunately by that time I was already tired and had to quit (which resets your run). This NEEDS to change. I'm loving the game so far, the visuals, 3d audio and overall experience, but... if the runs take hours (I mean good runs, not rushed yolo no-pick-up runs) I'm going to really have to force myself to boot the game every time. Clear every schedule, turn off the phones, eat, shit and sleep before every session, 'cause this is demanding too much from the players. There is no sane argument against a simple "save and quit".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NarcissusBaz said:

I had a great run, defeated first boss on my first try and almost got to the second boss. Unfortunately by that time I was already tired and had to quit (which resets your run). This NEEDS to change. I'm loving the game so far, the visuals, 3d audio and overall experience, but... if the runs take hours (I mean good runs, not rushed yolo no-pick-up runs) I'm going to really have to force myself to boot the game every time. Clear every schedule, turn off the phones, eat, shit and sleep before every session, 'cause this is demanding too much from the players. There is no sane argument against a simple "save and quit".

Wouldn't having a save function ruin the whole mechanic of cycles though? You could just reload old saves if you die. You might already be aware but you can pause your cycle by using rest mode.

I DID IT, I beat the game! ? 

Final boss was probably the easiest of them all but it could have been cuz I was OP as hell. 

Gonna rest and start the grind either later today or tomorrow.  Hope to have the platinum by Friday. 

For a game whose genre (rougelite) and concept (high difficulty focused) are everything I avoid and dislike when playing games- the fact that I want to keep playing and mostly enjoy it is a wonder.

It just feels good and smooth to play. But at the end of the day it's genre will be what most likely keep me from continuing for much longer. I just wish it wasn't a fucking rougelite lol.

I've died at the first boss a few times in a row- and I definitely know I can beat it. But I'm already sick and tired of running through the level again and again to gear up to face it. It's just too annoyingly frustrating. A difficult boss with a checkpoint in front of it is one thing, but this has gotten old fast. And knowing that when I die after I finally get past it, I'm gonna have do the same god forsaken song and dance over and over again drains any motivation from wanting to keep trying the challenge.

I think the worst thing about it, is that I feel like my time is being wasted. Putting multiple hours into a game and feeling like you've made no progress is junk. The things that carry over from run to run are seemingly inconsequential to me at this point. The currency you do get to keep (which I have little of anyway)- I don't want to spend because I'd just be spending it on non-transferable things and since I'm more likely to die than not, I'd just be wasting the stuff that does carry over. As for the weapon levels carrying over or whatever, at this early point, there has been basically no difference between them from one run to the next (assuming you find a weapon you even feel good with before the boss).

If I was banging my head against the wall but at least felt like everything I was doing was progressing me closer to finally breaking through that wall, then I could justify the bashing. But as it is, there's no gain to be found. I still want to keep trying, again because of how good it feels to play, but a couple more deaths and I'm gonna give up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NarcissusBaz said:

You do realize you can suspend the game and not lose progress?

14 minutes ago, TrophyClipsYT said:

You do realize you can suspend the game and not lose progress?

You do realize that dozens of people report the game crashing during suspension and losing all progress? And I don't want to keep my console running for 2-3 days, when I'm busy with my job and life. Don't bother making up excuses, every one I've heard makes no sense. Other rogue-likes (like Hades for instance) let you get back to your run if you didn't die. I remember playing the hell out of Binding of Isaack back in the day and I could turn off my console whenever I felt like it (and runs were nowhere near as long as in Returnal).

• Like 1

Just now, NarcissusBaz said:

You do realize that dozens of people report the game crashing during suspension and losing all progress? And I don't want to keep my console running for 2-3 days, when I'm busy with my job and life. Don't bother making up excuses, every one I've heard makes no sense. Other rogue-likes (like Hades for instance) let you get back to your run if you didn't die. I remember playing the hell out of Binding of Isaack back in the day and I could turn off my console whenever I felt like it (and runs were nowhere near as long as in Returnal).

You don't need to keep it running lol, put it in sleep mode.

What excuse? You didn't know how something works so I told you.

1 minute ago, TrophyClipsYT said:

You don't need to keep it running lol, put it in sleep mode.

What excuse? You didn't know how something works so I told you.

How putting it in sleep mode is going to help with the fact that my girlfriend needs the console free to play Jedi: Fallen Order? Don't bother.