PSA: This game is prone to crashing.

Quink666

I've put 20 hours into it so far and had 2-3 crashes. In a different game it would be nothing major but here... It's incredibly annoying due to inability to save.

Now, out of the three times I never crashed 20 minutes into a run, noooooo

I crashed just about reaching the 3rd boss after 2 hour just about perfect run, I've crashed another time 2 or 3 hours in - another excellent run, and just now I crashed after 3 hours with all the parasites, weapons and consumables ready to take on the final boss (sound glitched out and then the game froze, had to hard turn off my PS5).

I get the general idea behind the game but... even minor and very seldom instabilities and crashes have an exaggerated effect - nothing an autosave somewhere couldn't fix.

And it could be set up to on/off if someone wanted to play without it.

• Like 2

Still no crashes here for me after beating both acts and playing 20+ hours, I don't understand why some people get crashes and some don't, it's the same system!.. odd.. I did have one instance where my sound totally cut out and there were times where I couldn't interact with doors or stuff but I changed to the default suit and its been fine since.. knock on wood!

2 hours ago, Valyrious said:

Extremely dramatic and hopefully nobody takes it seriously. 

If you want more games like this, you buy at launch and support the developer. They've already released three patch fixes, which have surely helped with crashes and other issues. My biggest worry is actually the rng for the collectibles.

So if you want more games with glitches that randomly crash and erase all progress then buy day one? That's what you seem to be saying. 

Too many games release in an undesirable state. Too many games need fixing before they're fully playable and reliable. Why should we constantly be losing in the transaction?

You can still support a developer without buying day one and getting the worst experience for the most money.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, yowzagabowza said:

So if you want more games with glitches that randomly crash and erase all progress then buy day one? That's what you seem to be saying. 

Too many games release in an undesirable state. Too many games need fixing before they're fully playable and reliable. Why should we constantly be losing in the transaction?

You can still support a developer without buying day one and getting the worst experience for the most money.

Yes, because that's all the game represents. It's not a textbook AAA game that Sony always invests in.

Listen to yourself.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, yowzagabowza said:

Wow, reading all these comments makes the decision to not include any saving seem even more shortsighted and dumb than it already is. 

I don't have a PS5 yet, but the anecdotes about a semi-unstable system in general combined with a punishing game AND no saving just seems so lame and lazy. 

they did not wanted people to save scum im sure

16 minutes ago, AllanGronkjaer said:

they did not wanted people to save scum im sure

Yeah, but there are ways around that from a development standpoint. It's silly to just eliminate it altogether.

8 hours ago, Valyrious said:

Yes, because that's all the game represents. It's not a textbook AAA game that Sony always invests in.

Listen to yourself.

No, it's not all the game represents, but if devs and pubs expect a day one purchase, they need to provide a day one experience that warrants it. Most games do not 

I was gonna comment that I'd only had one crash in about 18 hours play, then it crashed right at the end of my act 3 ending run, literally in front of the final boss room... Oh well, back to it tomorrow I guess lol.

Even with infrequent crashes, with the nature of the game it's not likely that it'll crash at an opportune time. A "save and quit" feature to stop mid-run without using rest mode would be nice, if only as a counter measure for the crashes, assuming it were to semi frequently autosave in the background!

Just a heads up, according to several articles I can find, Housemarque has stated that the crashing is not a problem of the game, but is infact a problem having to do with the ps5/ the ps5 firmware itself. Idk the rules regarding posting outside links, but the articles should be easy enough for you to find. Here's what they had to say about the crashing though;

• Crashing: The game has been crashing constantly and the developers have stated that the issue lies within the platform and not the game. They have sent the report to Sony and hope the issue to be resolved through the next firmware update. 

Edited by WatertownsFinest

1 hour ago, WatertownsFinest said:

Just a heads up, according to several articles I can find, Housemarque has stated that the crashing is not a problem of the game, but is infact a problem having to do with the ps5/ the ps5 firmware itself. Idk the rules regarding posting outside links, but the articles should be easy enough for you to find. Here's what they had to say about the crashing though;

• Crashing: The game has been crashing constantly and the developers have stated that the issue lies within the platform and not the game. They have sent the report to Sony and hope the issue to be resolved through the next firmware update. 

If the game doesn't work on the platform, don't release it period. And now we are waiting for an OS update for who knows how long. I really hope Housemarque will focus on fixing the problem instead of blaming the firmware.

Edited by CabDK
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, CabDK said:

If the game doesn't work on the platform, don't release it period. And now we are waiting for an OS update for who knows how long. I really hope Housemarque will focus on fixing the problem instead of blaming the firmware.

I only had one crash but it was right before last boss ?

2 hours ago, AllanGronkjaer said:

I only had one crash but it was right before last boss 1f602.png

It's not contantly crashing, but knowing it could happen is very off putting to me... Too bad it happened for you just before the final boss, hopefully you had your share of bad luck.

2 minutes ago, CabDK said:

It's not contantly crashing, but knowing it could happen is very off putting to me... Too bad it happened for you just before the final boss, hopefully you had your share of bad luck.

Hopefully we get a save function in the future. One that deletes on death.

https://www.gamesradar.com/returnal-devs-hear-the-community-about-save-options/

On 5/2/2021 at 8:52 AM, Valyrious said:

If you want more games like this, you buy at launch and support the developer. They've already released three patch fixes, which have surely helped with crashes and other issues. My biggest worry is actually the rng for the collectibles.

Ah yes, because whether or not I spend my 70$ will singlehandedly determine the fate of the developer. My 70$, your 70$, hell, the 70$ of every single person who has posted in this thread combined, is a fraction of a fraction of a fraction. It is completely meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

To quote you, "extremely dramatic and hopefully nobody takes it seriously."

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Ah yes, because whether or not I spend my 70$ will singlehandedly determine the fate of the developer. My 70$, your 70$, hell, the 70$ of every single person who has posted in this thread combined, is a fraction of a fraction of a fraction. It is completely meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

To quote you, "extremely dramatic and hopefully nobody takes it seriously."

And I'm the one that's dramatic. I'm sorry that you're offended by the ideology of supporting a developer you like at launch. Just don't whine like a bitch when one of your favourite games doesn't get a sequel game.

Since I bought the game for myself... because I like to talk about games that I experience for myself, I can attest that I have only had one crash thus far.

2 hours ago, Valyrious said:

And I'm the one that's dramatic. I'm sorry that you're offended by the ideology of supporting a developer you like at launch. Just don't whine like a bitch when one of your favourite games doesn't get a sequel game.

Yes, you are. What other explanation is there for trying to argue that 70$ will singlehandedly make or break a developer? I can "whine like a bitch" as much as I want, because whether or not I buy a game at launch for 70$ is completely irrelevant to the overall success of the game. We've been over this.