I Don't Miss Memory Cards

Gotakibono

27 minutes ago, communistwookiee said:

Aren't they also notoriously leaky and if the do they also fry the PCB?

Only systems I know of that are common to have leaky caps is the sega game gear(they used some pretty crappy caps) and the original xbox clock cap and main power caps by the gpu/cpu. It won't fry the motherboard, but the electrolytic acid will slowly eat through the motherboard and destroy traces, which will require repairs if not fixed

• 5 weeks later...
On 09/05/2021 at 0:56 AM, Estavonkazoo said:

I miss ps2 memory icons 1f614.png 

I don't miss memory cards, just memory card aesthetic. I'd love to see animated little symbols for games like back in the day.

I think the HDD in the xbox360 was the perfect mix. To switch all you had to do was take it off and put it in another, the slim also had a similar system. It was pretty helpful for when I was going to a friends as a kid.

Edited by Toast_On_Cheese
Added a paragraph + Spelling

I have a consolized MVS with a battery that can only hold so much. So I bought the Neo SD MVS version, it's a flash cart that save to the SD Card. For my PC-Engine I bought the Super SD System 3 and this also backs up ram to the SD. I even bought a "Mode" for the Sega Saturn which now backs up to SD via Firmware updates. I've spent thousands doing this which is just f'n stupid but I also don't miss Memory cards.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 9:01 PM, Toast_On_Cheese said:

I think the HDD in the xbox360 was the perfect mix. To switch all you had to do was take it off and put it in another, the slim also had a similar system. It was pretty helpful for when I was going to a friends as a kid.

Microsoft did that right. So nice and simple compared to PS3, which takes a screwdriver. Xbox 360 can also use an external HDD up to 2 TB, but the sectors have to be a certain size (512 B?) or it won't be detected.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge

• 1 month later...

Memory cards are mostly something that people in my age group and older will really remember.

I remember getting memory cards for the PS2 console, it was annoying having to have that inserted while I was playing Grand Theft Auto Vice City. They had a fair chance of failing and getting corrupted. The PS Vita memory cards in contrast are far better and far more reliable. It is amazing what technology has done in the past 15 - 20 years.

Cartridges for the N64 and all of Nintendo's old consoles failed after so many uses. Like so many others I blew into the cartridges thinking that some dirt or rust had formed into the part that connects into the console.

Kids today have it so easy.

I don't miss them in the context of that I desperately want them back, as hard drives are much better. But back in the day I did love the convenience of simply taking the little thing and going to a friend or relative's house to use on their console. They had their place in gaming and for the time they were fine, and much better than what Sega did with the Saturn and its save as someone mentioned earlier. It's hard to think when I first got my Xbox 360 it only had 64MB on the memory card and by 2009 I had upgraded to a 120GB harddrive :P

13 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Memory cards are mostly something that people in my age group and older will really remember.

I remember getting memory cards for the PS2 console, it was annoying having to have that inserted while I was playing Grand Theft Auto Vice City. They had a fair chance of failing and getting corrupted. The PS Vita memory cards in contrast are far better and far more reliable. It is amazing what technology has done in the past 15 - 20 years.

Cartridges for the N64 and all of Nintendo's old consoles failed after so many uses. Like so many others I blew into the cartridges thinking that some dirt or rust had formed into the part that connects into the console.

Kids today have it so easy.

Little did people know blowing into the cartridges was one of the worst things you could do, saliva would corrode the pins. Old cartridges rarely fail unless you grip them so tight it breaks the traces between the pins and the chips. Fortunately if one of the mask roms fail you can have a new one programmed and soldered onto the pcb

• Like 2

On 8/8/2021 at 7:25 PM, AJ_Radio said:

N64 carts were ludicrously expensive. About $70 or even $80 was typical for one game... which is pretty steep, given that's about $119-136 US adjusted for inflation. A $136 launch price for a game wouldn't fly today unless it were a limited or collector's edition.

I don't want to ever see another console use memory cards. Nintendo Switch gets a pass here because it's portable and uses mSDXC.

1 hour ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

N64 carts were ludicrously expensive. About $70 or even $80 was typical for one game... which is pretty steep, given that's about $119-136 US adjusted for inflation. A $136 launch price for a game wouldn't fly today unless it were a limited or collector's edition.

I don't want to ever see another console use memory cards. Nintendo Switch gets a pass here because it's portable and uses mSDXC.

I remember. Goldeneye 007 and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time were super expensive. Only reason I knew was because my mom told me. 

It was much cheaper to rent games back then. So I never had many N64 games.