PSN Cloud storage allows only 1.000 save files

Yes, sure. But since then, the storage was raised from 10 to 100GB. And with the PS5 being introduced, we dont have the option anymore of at least saving the save files on USB device. So the only option to backup your saves is on cloud. Sooner or later, everyone who has the habit of backing up his save files will face this issue...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, karpathoulas667 said:

Sooner or later, everyone who has the habit of backing up his save files will face this issue...

I think this part is probably exaggerated. Everyone will certainly not face this issue. The great majority of PlayStation gamers will never come close to 1,000 save files.

Enough will that Sony should consider fixing their stupid limitation though. 

Since PS5 games are the only ones that won't let you backup outside of Plus though, I'd pick the worst offenders of multiple files per game from PS3/4 and back those up to USB and remove them from the Cloud backup to give you more spaces to use. 

I already picked most of my finished games I'm never planning on returning to and backed them up to USB and took them off Cloud backup so it's just my active games that are on there.

• Like 3

Yes, i will probably to sth like that. But you know, too much hassle to do that. And apart from that, it is a little of fake advertising, isnt it? I mean 100GB and 1.000 files. That means, you can fully use your space, if each save is 100/1000 = 0.1GB, or 100MB. Which is very rarely the case, because most games have save files of 10.49MB, or even less. So, Sony can boast of increasing your space, while actually using this space for other users...

13 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Since PS5 games are the only ones that won't let you backup outside of Plus though, I'd pick the worst offenders of multiple files per game from PS3/4 and back those up to USB and remove them from the Cloud backup to give you more spaces to use. 

I'm 99% certain cloud saves form PS3/Vita don't count towards the 1,000 file limit on PS4. When mass uploading saves on PS4, it shows you the exact number of files being uploaded, and I can upload exactly 1,000, even with the 500 or so saves I already have uploaded on PS3, and probably about 100 or so on Vita. I assume PS5 saves also don't affect the limit, I just hope the PS5's cloud storage doesn't also have a 1,000 file limit, due to not being able to back them up to USB.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I'm 99% certain cloud saves form PS3/Vita don't count towards the 1,000 file limit on PS4. When mass uploading saves on PS4, it shows you the exact number of files being uploaded, and I can upload exactly 1,000, even with the 500 or so saves I already have uploaded on PS3, and probably about 100 or so on Vita. I assume PS5 saves also don't affect the limit, I just hope the PS5's cloud storage doesn't also have a 1,000 file limit, due to not being able to back them up to USB.

I have only three games on ps5 and i reached the file limit. So, its PS5 and PS4 combined. I also think ps3 and vita dont count on this.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, karpathoulas667 said:

Sooner or later, everyone who has the habit of backing up his save files will face this issue...

Well go tell that to the PS3 users that played games with copy-protected saves lmao. The Cloud saving is the only way to backup them.

And no, Vita and PS3 have their own 1GB (one for Vita and one for PS3) which is separated from PS4 and PS5.

Edited by Lance_87
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, karpathoulas667 said:

I have only three games on ps5 and i reached the file limit. So, its PS5 and PS4 combined. I also think ps3 and vita dont count on this.

Oh lovely, that's something to look forward to when I eventually get a PS5. Was hoping they were separate since I've been told the cloud sections for them are separate on the console. That really sucks considering we can't even back up saves to a USB stick on PS5. Hopefully they either allow saves on USB again eventually on PS5, or they fix the arbitrary file limit. Preferably both, but I'd settle for at least something.

• Like 1

Just now, SuperSmexy500 said:

Oh lovely, that's something to look forward to when I eventually get a PS5. Was hoping they were separate since I've been told the cloud sections for them are separate on the console. That really sucks considering we can't even back up saves to a USB stick on PS5. Hopefully they either allow saves on USB again eventually on PS5, or they fix the arbitrary file limit. Preferably both, but I'd settle for at least something.

Τhere are seperate sections for PS5 and PS4 files. However, the PS4 saves (while on PS5) can be saved on USB. The PS5 saves, dont.

Just now, karpathoulas667 said:

Τhere are seperate sections for PS5 and PS4 files. However, the PS4 saves (while on PS5) can be saved on USB. The PS5 saves, dont.

I'm basically going to have to delete all my PS4 saves off the cloud eventually and keep them all on USB. assuming this issue is never fixed.

I'm hoping that since the cloud does seem to be shared between PS4 and PS5, that likely means more and more people will start hitting the 1,000 file limit, due to games they have uploaded on PS4. If enough people complain about it eventually, it might force Sony to actually do something.

I'm not too worried about ever reaching the 100GB limit otherwise, even if that is shared between PS4 and PS5(?)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I'm basically going to have to delete all my PS4 saves off the cloud eventually and keep them all on USB. assuming this issue is never fixed.

I'm hoping that since the cloud does seem to be shared between PS4 and PS5, that likely means more and more people will start hitting the 1,000 file limit, due to games they have uploaded on PS4. If enough people complain about it eventually, it might force Sony to actually do something.

I'm not too worried about ever reaching the 100GB limit otherwise, even if that is shared between PS4 and PS5(?)

Exactly my point. To be fair, when cloud saving was introduced, they probably didnt think about it. But now they have to fix it. Especially with the "only cloud backup" for PS5.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Yeah, I heard about this a few years ago, and had a feeling I was going to hit it at some point. Sure enough, I hit the cap late last year. I didn't really even get a warning, just noticed an error when I went to check my notifications.

It's absolutely ridiculous that this limit exists, it's near impossible to fill 100GB with only 1,000 files. I'm unsure if this cap exists on PS3 or Vita, never heard of anyone reaching it, I personally only have just under 500 saves on PS3 even to this day, so no where close to ever reaching the 1,000 file limit anyway, if one does exist. I am concerned if such a limit also exists for PS5, especially since you can't back up saves to a USB stick on that, which is what I've had to resort to doing for my older PS4 saves now since reaching the cap.

I've heard some people speculate it's supposed to be 1,000 files PER GAME, not overall, which would make more sense, but it's possible Sony fucked up somewhere along the way.

Sony hasn't been helpful about this either, I haven't ever seen them actually directly address the issue, and when I tried contacting them about it myself, they essentially just told me "just delete your saves, lol". Gee, thanks Sony, super helpful.

Meanwhile, cloud saves are free on Xbox and presumably unlimited. They're not free on Nintendo Switch, but as far as I'm aware, no limit exists on how many saves you can upload, there's not even a set amount of GB you're allowed to upload like on Playstation.

It's not hard to reach the 1,000 file limit at all, especially when some games like to make 50+ autosaves (looking at you, Death Stranding). Yeah, you could just delete them, but it's just going to create more saves the next time you play, and why should you have to delete them when you're supposed to have 100GB of storage? I only reaced about 18GB of the 100GB available before hitting the 1,000 file limit. My spouse, who has less games than I do on PS4, even reached the limit before I did.

Yup. Definitely an issue. There shouldn't be a limit, and I think know that the PS5 ONLY has Cloud Saves, they're going to have to actually solve this issue.

39 minutes ago, HaserPL said:

1st world problems lol. U really need 1000 save files at any given time? Maybe, I dunno, try deleting save files u won't need any more from time to time?

Well... yeah? This is literally a forum, if you lived in an impoverished nation you wouldn't even have the internet. Also, 1000 saves is not that much. There's plenty of games that have tons of saves. Also, tons of games have post launch content, or you might want to revisit a game in a few years time. You shouldn't have to go through your saves and delete them just because they put some arbitrary 1,000 file limits.

• Like 4

You likely have saves for games you will never touch again, don't even remember anything about, or the save itself is nothing impressive like a 100% completion file or whatever. Your trophies already show off what you've accomplished in said game so why does it matter if you retain each and every save?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Meanwhile, cloud saves are free on Xbox and presumably unlimited.

With caveats.

• You can't backup your saves to an external drive so you're at the mercy of Microsoft themselves keeping your saves.
  • The saves are always synced between the system and the cloud so you need to do this whole motion where you go offline, play to gain what you want, then revert back using the online save. Savescumming for different results or even branching path endings can be either a pain or take such a long time that you're better off just doing extra playthroughs than dealing with backups. Keep in mind you don't unlock achievements offline until you go back online again. I can't remember if achievement progress is kept offline or not.
  • If you're on a 360 you have to pay for Gold to download the save back to it, I believe uploading was free but on the Xbone and I believe the SeX it's free both ways. So if you play a BC game on Xbone and want your save on your 360 even though the 360 can do external backups it won't let you copy a save off of your Xbone to it, you need to pay for Gold to get it on the 360.

23 minutes ago, MandA60VISE said:

You likely have saves for games you will never touch again, don't even remember anything about, or the save itself is nothing impressive like a 100% completion file or whatever. Your trophies already show off what you've accomplished in said game so why does it matter if you retain each and every save?

Because some of us want to hold onto them? I've returned to games with saves I made over a decade ago and continued off of them, and 100% saves take you potentially hundreds of hours to accomplish so keeping them is important to some of us. I have two separate backup drives that just have my save files from all the various platforms I own just because of all the time I put into them and the desire to keep them.

Heck, when you buy a game on a different platform (Main example being PC for me) and double-dip you can sometimes convert your console saves to saves that work on the PC version. I did exactly that for my PC copy of Borderlands 1, I copied my 360 save and converted it to a PC compatible one to mess around with better performance and resolution. Since I don't care about Steam achievements due to them easily getting messed up or unlocked incorrectly through you doing virtually anything it didn't matter at all to me that I unlocked like half the DLC achievements at the same time when I loaded my save up. One example of Steam messing up like that was me playing Enter the Gungeon in co-op on my computer with a friend but through his account. It apparently made a copy of my friend's save on my machine when we did that, and then when I loaded the save on my Steam account the other day it instantly popped like 30 achievements because the save was in a general save file location or something. I have the first and second boss achievements unlocked after 30 other achievements.

Edited by soliunasm
Adding another reply in.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

1 hour ago, karpathoulas667 said:

1 hour ago, Lance_87 said:

Well go tell that to the PS3 users that played games with copy-protected saves lmao. The Cloud saving is the only way to backup them.

And no, Vita and PS3 have their own 1GB (one for Vita and one for PS3) which is separated from PS4 and PS5.

I'm at the 1000 save file limit and can't upload anymore PS3 save files. I don't believe I have anywhere near 1000 PS3 saves. I actually deleted a bunch recently so I could upload current PS3 games I'm working on.

I believe the data is separated between consoles, but the 1000 save file is a combined limit.

• Like 1

Sony pathetic and with anti-consumer attitudes as always. and no, I am not exaggerating: this speech is based on several other facts. it is just pathetic some things when it comes to psn/Playstation.

45 minutes ago, MandA60VISE said:

1. Some games get DLC/extra content, even years down the road nowadays.
  2. Sometimes people like to go back to games, even years later, and would still like the save files for that reason, myself included. This can include going back to games to later platinum them, and/or get DLC trophies.
  3. Some people like keeping save files as a record of what they've done, even with trophies. I've personally always done this since the PS1/N64 days.
  4. Saves don't really take up much space, there isn't really any reason to actively delete them.

Either way, this isn't the issue. The issue isn't that people have "too many saves" or whatever, the issue is that we're supposed to have 100GB of free storage available, but it's impossible to ever fill anyway due to an arbitrary 1,000 file limit. If we actually had access to the whole 100GB, it'd probably be more like a 4,000 - 5,000 file limit (obviously not a hard limit, since it would be based on space used, not quantity of files). We're essentially getting a quarter or less of what is advertised.

35 minutes ago, soliunasm said:

With caveats.

• You can't backup your saves to an external drive so you're at the mercy of Microsoft themselves keeping your saves.
  • The saves are always synced between the system and the cloud so you need to do this whole motion where you go offline, play to gain what you want, then revert back using the online save. Savescumming for different results or even branching path endings can be either a pain or take such a long time that you're better off just doing extra playthroughs than dealing with backups. Keep in mind you don't unlock achievements offline until you go back online again. I can't remember if achievement progress is kept offline or not.
  • If you're on a 360 you have to pay for Gold to download the save back to it, I believe uploading was free but on the Xbone and I believe the SeX it's free both ways. So if you play a BC game on Xbone and want your save on your 360 even though the 360 can do external backups it won't let you copy a save off of your Xbone to it, you need to pay for Gold to get it on the 360.

Yeah I honestly don't really like how the cloud saves work on Xbox. Hate not even really knowing when a save has actually synced to the cloud since there's no way to actually view that information. One of the reasons I prefer Playstations as my main consoles, since I feel like I have a bit more ownership over my own saves. But that feels less of the case with the PS5 and the 1,000 file limit on the cloud.

23 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

I'm at the 1000 save file limit and can't upload anymore PS3 save files. I don't believe I have anywhere near 1000 PS3 saves. I actually deleted a bunch recently so I could upload current PS3 games I'm working on.

I believe the data is separated between consoles, but the 1000 save file is a combined limit.

That's strange, I can upload 1,000 saves to the cloud on PS4 and still upload saves fine on PS3 and Vita. I think I would have hit the limit a lot sooner as well (maybe before it even increased to 100GB) if they were combined. Currently I have about 700 saves on my PS4 cloud storage I believe, 470 or so on PS3, not sure how many on Vita but I imagine around 100-200. But there's such little info on this that who really knows, Sony doesn't seem to want to acknowledge it beyond the small print on their website.

Edited by SuperSmexy500
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, OmegaRejectz said:

Well... yeah? This is literally a forum, if you lived in an impoverished nation you wouldn't even have the internet. Also, 1000 saves is not that much. There's plenty of games that have tons of saves. Also, tons of games have post launch content, or you might want to revisit a game in a few years time. You shouldn't have to go through your saves and delete them just because they put some arbitrary 1,000 file limits.

To you, this might seem arbitrary, but if you step out of your shoes, you might think that the limit is there for a reason. Imagine what would happen with PS Cloud servers, if everyone was allowed to have 100 GB's worth of save files. This isn't Google, they wouldn't handle that shit. Just look at what has happened with LittleBigPlanet servers, just because a dickhead wanted to spam with new creations so much the servers crashed and had to be disabled. Don't you think there would be plenty of trolls who would happily write scripts for making thousands of small-sized save files, just to fuck with everyone who uses PS Cloud?