PSN Cloud storage allows only 1.000 save files

3 hours ago, karpathoulas667 said:

I was trying to upload my current game saves, as i always do at the end of each day. An error appeared: CE-107304-5 "You 've reached the limit for the number of items you can upload to cloud storage". Looking it up on Google, i found that you can at most have 1.000 save files on the cloud. Having over 1000 games and with games having multiple save files, this limit is easily reached.

I'm so angry now. I have over 90 GB left on my online storage, which, by the way, I PAY FOR. Has anyone heard of Sony taking care of this sometime in the future?

you only have 461 games though hmmm

I have some games that I upload the progress and others that I don't bother. A good majority of games are one and done so I don't keep too many uploaded..unless there's potential for DLC. Now I use it slightly more than before because I can bounce saves between my 4 and 5, but even then, it would be years before I hit that mark. I go through and delete stuff I don't need pretty regularly, I don't like like clutter.

29 minutes ago, HaserPL said:

To you, this might seem arbitrary, but if you step out of your shoes, you might think that the limit is there for a reason. Imagine what would happen with PS Cloud servers, if everyone was allowed to have 100 GB's worth of save files. This isn't Google, they wouldn't handle that shit. Just look at what has happened with LittleBigPlanet servers, just because a dickhead wanted to spam with new creations so much the servers crashed and had to be disabled. Don't you think there would be plenty of trolls who would happily write scripts for making thousands of small-sized save files, just to fuck with everyone who uses PS Cloud?

how do you defend this huge amount of space made available for such a small amount of files? You think about that?

31 minutes ago, soliunasm said:

Assuming you're a normal person and you make at least one manual save for each game this list of ten games is a minimum of 37 files. With how many saves I personally have it's 117 files. That's over 1/10th of the limit in only ten games and only on one single platform.

Yes, and the great majority of PS gamers will have hardly more than that number on any given platform before they move on. 

This issue is only going to affect a minority of paying Plus members, since general PS players who don’t even pay for Plus aren’t affected at all as they don’t have cloud storage. 

Sony should fix the file limit because it’s arbitrary and developers are inefficient in their save implementations, but to make the case that it’s going to affect most or all Plus members is disingenuous at best. 

Just now, DaivRules said:

Yes, and the great majority of PS gamers will have hardly more than that number on any given platform before they move on. 

This issue is only going to affect a minority of paying Plus members, since general PS players who don’t even pay for Plus aren’t affected at all as they don’t have cloud storage. 

Sony should fix the file limit because it’s arbitrary and developers are inefficient in their save implementations, but to make the case that it’s going to affect most or all Plus members is disingenuous at best.

This is really debatable because PS+ games means people would have access to far more than just 10 games in an entire generation. Even if they only purchased ten games during the entire lifetime I sincerely doubt they're not going to play some of the stuff they got for "free" which would add up over time. Yes, you'd have to potentially hit maybe 40-50 games total but eventually people are going to run into this file limit across the PS4 and PS5 if it really is just one shared limit even if they only play for a bit per game. I agree that the majority won't run into this but a huge amount of people will still run into it, particularly if the limit isn't per generation but a total aggregate.

• Like 1

I started paying for extra storage at $0.99 USD per month.  Now it is $2.99 per month.  

Get ready for the fees to increase for storage.  Get ready to pay to play.

Make notes on the things you do not like and flood Sony with emails and letters.  You can send the same letter over and over.  They are likely to get to different ppl anyway.

If we all band together, things get done.

Look at the vita and ps3 store.  We hit them with complaints beyond comprehension.  Let get on it now.

20 minutes ago, kevao97 said:

how do you defend this huge amount of space made available for such a small amount of files? You think about that?

To defend it, I'd have to personally care about it, which I don't. Just making a point that there might be a reason behind the limitations.

40 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Then they shouldn't advertise it as being 100GB if it's somehow going to be an issue on their servers. Just keep it to 10GB like it used to be, simple.

Maybe that's because not every save file has the same size? Not sure but that might be one reason. 

2 minutes ago, HaserPL said:

Maybe that's because not every save file has the same size? Not sure but that might be one reason. 

It still doesn't make sense to have 100GB of free storage, and a 1,000 file limit. 10-20GB and a 1,000 file limit? Sure.

Obviously we can only speculate, but I think the theory of the 1,000 file limit meant to be applied on a game by game basis, instead of overall, is probably the most likely reason.

• Like 1

1000 is such a weird limit, I am surprised it isn't something like 1024. At the very least there should be a better way of sorting out and auto deleting saves. I remember games on PS3 like God Of War, Monkey Island, you end up having 20-50 save files because you end up making new saves everywhere and it is a pain to delete later, do you don't.

But yeah many people easily have 1000s of games now, 1000 save limit seems like a lot, but not in this day and age.

• Like 1

Me and my friend had talked about this a long time ago.
We are paying for 100GB! yet the truth is we probably not able to hit it anytime soon.

The limit is 1000 save files per console if I remember, so PS3/Vita has their own 1000files, and Ps4 has its own, now I dont know if Ps5 is their own too, or combined with Ps4, which would even make it even more worse.

Sony had never really answered to this issue since probably a small % really played as many games as a trophy hunter. But imho its stupid they mislead and advertised 100GB when its just not possible to use it all. They mind as well say 30GB, even though it may be hard to hit. But no they made it a big deal when they announce 100GB upgrade from the 10GB. What a joke.

• Like 1

I also forgot to mention, the time of the upgrade from 10GB to 100GB was also around the time when SONY remove PSVita and PS3 games from ps plus lineup. And I think they raised price too around that time, but the 100GB upgrade was to "impress" people that they are giving something more valued, storage space. Space that we pay and can't use completely. :hmm:

• Like 1

This is definitely concerning. Not close to 1000 games or files yet but with that 100GB of cloud storage I figured I'd be able to hold every save of every game I plat, from now until decades later when 70 year old me is checking out all the games I got 100% on back in the "good old days".

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DaivRules said:

I think this part is probably exaggerated. Everyone will certainly not face this issue. The great majority of PlayStation gamers will never come close to 1,000 save files.

Enough will that Sony should consider fixing their stupid limitation though. 

Since PS5 games are the only ones that won't let you backup outside of Plus though, I'd pick the worst offenders of multiple files per game from PS3/4 and back those up to USB and remove them from the Cloud backup to give you more spaces to use. 

I already picked most of my finished games I'm never planning on returning to and backed them up to USB and took them off Cloud backup so it's just my active games that are on there.

pretty much this. Very few games ill keep backups of saves for, ill have maybe 2 or 3 per game. IF I like the game enough. 

But example bugsnax,100%, never ever gonna touch it again, i donr need saves for it. ykno?

Have this problem since 2018 and talked with Sony support and they will not help or do anything with it in near future because most people play gta/fifa/Fortnite/cod and trophy hunters doesn’t matter. Some games like deus ex mankind have 10-30 saves so if you play a lot you will reach limit very fast

I forgot there's no way to really even check how many save files you have on PS4 in general. On PS3, if you press triangle and "select multiple", it shows the exact number of how many files there are and how many you've selected in the top right corner. Tried doing this by going to "delete" and "copy to internal storage" on the PS Plus cloud on PS4, and nothing, it just tells me how much more free space in GB I'll have after deleting/copying.

I apparently have exactly 471 saves on my PS3 cloud storage. No idea how many I have on PS4, but back when I deleted a bunch after hitting the limit back in October/November, I'm pretty sure I deleted around 300-400 saves, and I've already accumulated another 100 or so saves since then, so I probably have about 600-800 saves on my PS4 cloud currently. Again, also have about 100-200 saves on Vita, so I don't think the file limit is shared between those systems at the least, at least not for me anyway.

I've heard some people say that the file limit was actually lifted years ago, and they managed to get around it by completely deleting all their cloud saves on PS4, and re-uploading them. But I've tried that and it didn't work for me, just said the storage would be exceeded once it reached 1,000 files yet again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soliunasm said:

One single game can be anywhere from 1 file to 20+ files. 

This. When I first saw this topic I thought “oh, that’ll only be an issue for people who have 1000+ PS games” but then remembered that I have over 50 save files for both Kingdom Hearts and Danganronpa 1-2 Reload.

I don’t have Plus, so don’t get this perk, but much like the old Store wishlist only allowing you to add 100 games (don’t know if the same limit exists for the new Store), this limit seems arbitrary, and if I were paying for Plus I’d be pissed that I couldn’t use all of the storage I was paying monthly for due to a (seemingly) pointless limit set by Sony. 

• Like 1

I'm going to be the guy to say just clean up your saves in the cloud. One save per game is enough, especially once you are done with the game. Having 10+ saves for the same game in cloud once you have the plat or 100% is excessive.

Sure Sony could raise the cap or remove it, but at the same time 1000 is pretty good for like 80% of players. 

• Like 2

I always upload my saves. But only the saves that are needed. You don't have to upload an autosave that was made in the tutorial level of the game for example. Just upload your finished gamesave or 100% save.  Otherwise some games will take up 20 slots when you only need 2-3 including the profile save. Theres also a ton of games that don't have NG+ or similar where uploading a save for future use is pointless if you already beaten and platted the game.

2 minutes ago, Wavergray said:

I'm going to be the guy to say just clean up your saves in the cloud. One save per game is enough, especially once you are done with the game. Having 10+ saves for the same game in cloud once you have the plat or 100% is excessive.

Sure Sony could raise the cap or remove it, but at the same time 1000 is pretty good for like 80% of players. 

So you are ok for paying for something but only getting 20-30% of it?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wavergray said:

Since all save files are not the same size, I do like having the overhead space to make sure all 1000 of my saves will fit. 

That make sense, and I do agree that some files can just be removed and cleaned out. Games that probably wont ever be played or the easy ones. But 1000 files, with 100GB, thats like 100mb a file, that's a lot of overhead since most are a fraction of that.

Unfortunately the ones hitting cap is minority, Sony not gonna do anything, a shame.