Summer 2021 Backlog Challenge

1 hour ago, Hisuiryu said:

I hear almost nothing but good things about the Witcher.... maybe I should actually try it one day

Absolutely would recommend this game ? The first couple of hours felt a bit slow, and it took me some time to get used to the combat mechanics but once it gets going it is great. It took me some time to get accustomed to how the camera follows your movement too, initially it felt a bit wobbly but I don't notice it much now.

As you have a PS5 now you can wait for the upgrade that's coming soon. I know some people really complain about the 30 FPS on the PS4, but stuff like that doesn't really bother me

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Wild-Arms-R said:

ddccccbb

Uhhh....what? ?

2 minutes ago, GrantVernonHart said:

Just finished X-Men: Destiny (3 Years 2 month) And Madagascar 3 (1 years 7 month) yesterday it wasnt good game that's why left this games uncomplete back in the day but I'm glad these games are easy and short except X-Men: destiny when against john sublime and sentinel in x-treme mode (hard) 

Hey Grant, I think the event is now closed (unless I missed you in the sign-up list for this round), sign ups for the next event are coming soon. Congrats on the progress though!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wild-Arms-R said:

ddccccbb

Make a mistake? ?

3 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Uhhh....what? 1f602.png

Hey Grant, I think the event is now closed (unless I missed you in the sign-up list for this round), sign ups for the next event are coming soon. Congrats on the progress though!

I would recommend @GrantVernonHart wait until Sunday, when the next signups begin.

14 minutes ago, SicilianDragon92 said:

6. World of Final Fantasy (17%) > 32% > 65% > 68%

I am well into the endgame grind now, trying to get through the EX dungeons, don’t know if I’m doing something wrong but am at lv 72 and still got wiped out by the EX A boss. Getting there though.

8. Final Fantasy IX (5%) > 8%

Wow, I did not appreciate just what a horror of a trophy list this is. Not only does it have some absolutely incredible requirements but they seemed to be mostly weighted to the endgame. Also tetra master is awful and I hate it. Heard going in that this was many people’s favourite PS1 FF but absolutely cannot see why just yet. I’m still early in disc 2 though so I will give it a bit more time.

I did the EX dungeons on World of FF not that long ago, I didn't recall them being too difficult. I guess it depends a lot on your stack set up, although I've used pretty much the same configuration throughout the game (Lann/Mimic Jackpot/Paleberry and Reynn/Hyperion/Moogle), all with maxed out boards and a few extra abilities in the blank slots to round out the skills.

Final Fantasy IX for the most part isn't too bad, but there are a fair few missables and RNG trophies. The worst I found was Bloodlust, just because it adds so much unnecessary grind at the end of your game. Thank god for the speed boosters is all I can say ?. Also, the jump rope trophy.....still gives me nightmares. Story wise I liked it up until the end of disc 3, then it goes a bit off piste. Personally I think FF X is better, closely followed by VIII ?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SicilianDragon92 said:
  1. 8. Final Fantasy IX (5%) > 8%

Wow, I did not appreciate just what a horror of a trophy list this is. Not only does it have some absolutely incredible requirements but they seemed to be mostly weighted to the endgame. Also tetra master is awful and I hate it. Heard going in that this was many people’s favourite PS1 FF but absolutely cannot see why just yet. I’m still early in disc 2 though so I will give it a bit more time.

It's a lot of people's favorite FF because of 1. nostalgia 2. the story and 3. it was originally played when completion wasn't something people really did, and wasn't really designed with completion in mind. There's also the age old saying that a person's first FF is their favorite. Which I find to be true most of the time for us old folk.

It's pretty dated now though, and the completion requirements are absolutely insane to do legit, but again it just wasn't designed with completion in mind. The story is much more fleshed out than VII and VIII, and it's pretty good, which a lot of people point to as a reason the game is their favorite. But it's still very much a PS1 era story. Like most of the games from the PS1 and before, it requires a bit of filling in the gaps from the player's imagination. People who played it as a kid were able to do this without realizing it. Playing it as a kid when it was new is really the only way you'll ever get the same experience a lot of people who think of this as their favorite did. Which of course is impossible.

I'm not trying to pick on IX specifically or even say it's bad or anything, or try to take away from anyone who has IX as their favorite. I'm just saying that like many PS1 games, all of the PS1 FF games haven't aged very well. It make sense for it to be a bad time for someone who didn't start playing games until after the PS2. Simply because they're old. Developers have been able to create better games after years of experimentation and having access to better technology.

All of this to say, don't feel bad if you don't like it. It's an old game. It's completely understandable for it to not hold up to today's standards. Especially when coming from a completionist viewpoint. I hope you at least end up enjoying the story though.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Heather342 said:

Yeah I'd agree with this. Final Fantasy VIII was the first one I played on the PS1, and I do prefer it over VII. I had IX for the PS1 when I was a kid, but while I enjoyed it at the time I didn't enjoy it as much as VIII. I will say that the black mage plot in it was really good, and the part of the story that really stands out for me. But you can tell some things really didn't age well, like the protagonist being an absolute sex pest 1f605.png 

My first was also VIII and I prefer it over any other ?

• Like 4