Update a Trophy List

BlindMango

16 minutes ago, QueensGambitx said:

May be off topic but why are some games tagged with different regions? Are there differences in releases?

Games that are tagged with a region means that the specific list that is tagged is only purchasable in that specific regions PSN store. Additionally, there are other tags that are not region specific that apply to physical and digital only content. A rare occurrence is also the "original" and "rereleased" tags that usually only apply to a delisted game being rereleased later. It's a rare occurrence though. Generally, a region specific tag, such as EU or AS, takes priority over any other possible tag.

Edited by Dreggit
  • Like 3

On 10/12/2021 at 5:13 PM, Dreggit said:

Games that are tagged with a region means that the specific list that is tagged is only purchasable in that specific regions PSN store. Additionally, there are other tags that are not region specific that apply to physical and digital only content. A rare occurrence is also the "original" and "rereleased" tags that usually only apply to a delisted game being rereleased later. It's a rare occurrence though. Generally, a region specific tag, such as EU or AS, takes priority over any other possible tag.

Just curious, how many different regions are there? NA, EU, AU, HK... anything else? Those are all I've seen that I can recall. So unless a game is a Worldwide release, they will have region tags if I understand correctly. 

4 minutes ago, MikeCheck-- said:

Just curious, how many different regions are there? NA, EU, AU, HK... anything else? Those are all I've seen that I can recall. So unless a game is a Worldwide release, they will have region tags if I understand correctly. 

There are 21 "region" tags at present. There used to be more but they were removed or replaced.

1 hour ago, MikeCheck-- said:

Here are all region the tags I know of: EU, GER (Germany - extremely rare), FR (France - extremely rare), Spain (extremely rare), DG (Digital - extremely rare), NA, HK (Rarely used), CN (China - Rarely used), PH (AKA Retail - extremely rare), RU (Russia - extremely rare. I only know of 1 or 2 uses of this), KR (Korea - extremely rare), OR (Original Release - this is becoming increasingly common, due to disputes between developers and publishers), RR (Re-Release - this is becoming increasingly common, due to disputes between developers and publishers), AS (Asia), AU (Australia - extremely rare. I only know of 1 or 2 uses of this), BR (Brazil - extremely rare. I only know of 1 or 2 uses of this) and JP.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

3 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

Here are all region the tags I know of: EU, NA, HK, CN (China), PH (AKA Retail), RU (Russia - this is a very rare tag), KR (Korea), OR (Original Release), RR (Re-Release), AS (Asia), AU (Australia), and JP.

There is also GER for Germany - for games with swastikas than need to be removed legally in Germany

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

Here are all region the tags I know of: EU, GER, NA, HK, CN (China), PH (AKA Retail), RU (Russia - this is a very rare tag), KR (Korea), OR (Original Release), RR (Re-Release), AS (Asia), AU (Australia), and JP.

The full list, should it be of interest

• None (considered to be world-wide)
  • European [EU]
  • Japanese [JP]
  • North American [NA]
  • United Kingdom [UK] (rarely used)
  • Asian [AS]
  • Australian [AU] (rarely used)
  • Brazilian [BR] (rarely used, usually due to a music license)
  • Chinese [CN] (used to be Taiwan, but was replaced with Chinese due to legal reasons)
  • French [FR] (rarely used, typically due to a music license)
  • German [GER] (uncommonly used, usually for reasons of censorship)
  • Hong Kong [HK] (uncommonly used, represents mainland China)
  • Korean [KR] (uncommonly used these days)
  • Russian [RU] (rarely used, only two examples exist)
  • Spanish [ES] (rarely used, typically due to music license, represents Spain)
  • Western [WE] (uncommonly used, represents a EU & NA release of an AS/JP title)
  • Digital [DG] (rarely used, represents a global worldwide release that is DG only. If it belonged to a specific region, it is regionally tagged instead)
  • Physical [PH] (uncommonly used, represents an exclusively physical list)
  • Original [OR] (rarely used. Only used in cases of a rerelease where the first release is typically delisted)
  • Rereleased [RR] (rarely used. Only used in cases of a rerelease where the second release replaces the delisted original)

There used to also be DEV, UNR, and some others but I don't recall all of them from memory.

Edited by Dreggit
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Dreggit said:

The full list, should it be of interest

• None (considered to be world-wide)
  • European [EU]
  • Japanese [JP]
  • North American [NA]
  • United Kingdom [UK] (rarely used)
  • Asian [AS]
  • Australian [AU] (rarely used)
  • Brazilian [BR] (rarely used, usually due to a music license)
  • Chinese [CH] (used to be Taiwan, but was replaced with Chinese due to legal reasons)
  • French [FR] (rarely used, typically due to a music license)
  • German [GER] (uncommonly used, usually for reasons of censorship)
  • Korean [KR] (uncommonly used these days)
  • Russian [RU] (rarely used, only two examples exist)
  • Spanish [ES] (rarely used, typically due to music license, represents Spain)
  • Western [WE] (uncommonly used, represents a EU & NA release of an AS/JP title)
  • Digital [DG] (rarely used, represents a global worldwide release that is DG only. If it belonged to a specific region, it is regionally tagged instead)
  • Physical [PH] (uncommonly used, represents an exclusively physical list)
  • Original [OR] (rarely used. Only used in cases of a rerelease where the first release is typically delisted)
  • Rereleased [RR] (rarely used. Only used in cases of a rerelease where the second release replaces the delisted original)

There used to also be DEV, UNR, and some others but I don't recall all of them from memory.

That's 20 but you mentioned 21 in the post above. Was that a typo or is 1 region in your list missing?

27 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

France gets unique stacks on rare occasions (usually those shitty music games that roll round every year) so FR could be the missing one.

France was in the list.

@HusKy, there's only 20. We used to have a WW for worldwide, but was removed because "no tag" was essentially the same thing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MikeCheck-- said:

@Dreggit Top notch! Amazing, thank you. I'm curious what the two RU games are, if you know them? Thanks for providing insight too in the different regions, this explains why I never have seen the rare ones :) interesting. Must be difficult for some developers to release WW or having to release in certain regions only. 

If I remember right, the 2 Russian only stacks are for Tintin and one of the Rayman titles ?.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, grifteskymfning said:

Are there any examples of BR, UK or FR releases that are not music related? Also, is there another use for WE other than Reel Fishing?

Below are all the tagged games for these rarer examples. With, or without, music license reasons

There used to be some BR entries but they were updated due to seeing NA releases elsewhere. At this time though, there are none in the database anymore for this regional tag.

For the AU (2)

For the UK (2)

For the France (11)

For the GER (23)

For the RU

For the ES (22)

For the WE (10)

This is what the database shows at this time

• Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 1:34 PM, HusKy said:
  • Chinese [CH] (used to be Taiwan, but was replaced with Chinese due to legal reasons)
  •  

Technically, CN would be Mainland China, with HK representing Hong Kong -- since not all games released in Hong Kong/Taiwan are released in China, and vice versa. AS is usually used for when a game is released in HK/TW/SG/KOR, but has another Asian-related stack, like JP. An example of a game that should have an AS tag, would be https://psnprofiles.com/game-leaderboard/3862-三国战纪 since it was released in in Singapore, Taiwan, and Indonesia, as per it's title-id: CUSA01268_00 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ArmoredSnowman said:

Technically, CN would be Mainland China, with HK representing Hong Kong -- since not all games released in Hong Kong/Taiwan are released in China, and vice versa. AS is usually used for when a game is released in HK/TW/SG/KOR, but has another Asian-related stack, like JP. An example of a game that should have an AS tag, would be https://psnprofiles.com/game-leaderboard/3862-三国纪 since it was released in in Singapore, Taiwan, and Indonesia, as per it's title-id: CUSA01268_00 

Regardless of what you may believe on the topic, the fact remains that Chinese, or CN, is what replaced the old Taiwan tag. Generally, it is exceedingly rare to use in the current trophy climate as there is almost never anything exclusive to Taiwan in terms of release anymore. Similar to Brazil. It is, generally speaking, going to be AS or HK instead of CN 99% of the time on this specific matter. I gave the facts of what PSNP uses and the conditions of their usage because it was asked. Disagree or no, that is what has been used for close to two years now. 

Now, on the matter of the game you refer to, it is a title that released during Mango's role as steward of game information. It is worth mentioning that back then, there were more tags than there are now, and it may very well have been appropiate for what was available for regional assignment then. When the Taiwan region was removed, any game that had that assignment was converted to Chinese. Obviously, I do not have a list of every game that this occured with, but that is one of the reasons why this thread exists, so as to update such things.

Additionally, as mentioned in a previous comment, China did not lift their video game ban until 2015. Even after, it took some amount of time to see regular releases in China. In 2019, despite the lifting of the ban, restrictions were put in play to restrict access to video games at specific times of day and some days entirely as a measure of anti-addiction policy which plays a role in what may or may not be released to that region. So, there are a great many games that may have been brought to those stores that may or may not be known to us that may or may not have an effect on a regions tag here on PSNP. It is not as though we get a personal pinged message when something is added sometime later under the same trophy list every time it happens. I trust that, at the time of assignment, Mango tagged it appropiately. But, as I point out, storefronts change without us knowing and so notice for update is necessary.

Keep in mind that nearly everything that we do is manually processed, and what is done, is done so with the information available at that time. This is not to say we are perfect because we are not. Since PSNP does not track NPWR or CUSA data, there is very little information available to go off of. As obvious as it may seem after the fact, consider that in the moment, it was not so clear. If we had some automated system, we would have no need for this thread, hense why we ask the community for aid on update necesity.

Edited by Dreggit
  • Like 1