cris3f

PS3 Store delves into a deeper pit each day

44 posts in this topic

SIE did not close the store but I think the idea is to make such a crappy place that will be completely unusable. I was dumb and bought the Motorstorm RC Complete Edition upgrade, one of the last Vita DLCs I was missing. Bought it on the Vita. It's cross buy. The PS3 store still wants me to buy every single item, pack, everything, except the game itself which knows I own, but that was done a few years ago.

So I'm supposed to go through my download list and get 47 SINGLE ITEMS (the 47 items for the Vita can be downloaded with one operation)! Do these idiots know how much time this takes? I don't even know if this is the worst case of number of separate files with 1 purchase.

 

I do think the notion of cross buy PS3 / Vita is gone, happened on another item I bought, but at least in that case it was only 1.

 

Unbelievable.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They don't even bother with discounts... I want to play all God of War games again and checking for discounts but I don't think they will even bother with it... Even some games are cheaper on PS4 :D 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, FireOfTheWind said:

They don't even bother with discounts... I want to play all God of War games again and checking for discounts but I don't think they will even bother with it... Even some games are cheaper on PS4 :D 

They are all on PlayStation Now though, just get that 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, FireOfTheWind said:

They don't even bother with discounts


I don’t get this mentality. If they cared about their products, they’d devalue them? And keep devaluing them to show they care?

 

 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

31 minutes ago, balotelli_boy45 said:

They are all on PlayStation Now though, just get that 

 

23 minutes ago, lew said:

PS Now is not available worldwide. Streaming is also an unpleasant experience. 

 

Yeah, It's not available in my country :/

 

 

11 minutes ago, DaivRules said:


I don’t get this mentality. If they cared about their products, they’d devalue them? And keep devaluing them to show they care?

 

 

Witcher 3 GOTY Edition is 40 with my Currency on sale, but 2005 released GoW 1 is always 69... It's more expensive then PS4 games :D It's not about devalue because they care about the "Game" it's about caring the "Store"...

Edited by FireOfTheWind
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, the PS3 store has many flaws but you can’t pin this one solely on it being a shitty older generation. There are PS4 season passes that work in exactly the same way

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DaivRules said:


I don’t get this mentality. If they cared about their products, they’d devalue them? And keep devaluing them to show they care?

 

 

So you are saying that they should go full nintendo and keep everything full price.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

If they thought the PS3 was going to be a workable source of revenue, they wouldn't have been planning to shut it down.  Obviously they don't feel like the PS3 store is a money maker for them anymore, they aren't going to put resources into trying to make it a money maker, and they don't care about whatever paltry extra money would come in through incentivizing with discounts.

 

EDIT: Getting them to overturn their idea to shut the store down was a great feel-good win for gamers everywhere, which is all gamers really want at the end of the day.  To feel like they made a difference and forced the big company to bend to them.  It doesn't change the fact Sony has moved on from the PS3, and most gamers don't care that much about buying digital PS3 games.

Edited by Dreakon13
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Diony197 said:

So you are saying that they should go full nintendo and keep everything full price.


Im not saying what they should or shouldn’t do, and that’s not even close to what I was getting at with what I said. 

1 hour ago, FireOfTheWind said:

It's not about devalue because they care about the "Game" it's about caring the "Store"...



So you’re saying Sony as the store owner should just directly subsidize price reductions so publishers and developers don’t have to? They should use old games as loss leaders that don’t lead to any revenue? These aren’t physical good with warehousing costs to worry about. 
 

The message Sony is sending is: these are the prices of these digital assets. If the price doesn’t align with what you’re willing to value the assets at, then they’re fine with that. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FireOfTheWind said:

They don't even bother with discounts... I want to play all God of War games again and checking for discounts but I don't think they will even bother with it... Even some games are cheaper on PS4 :D 

 

While it's a piecemeal solution, the God of War collection can still be purchased for $25, roughly, on Amazon (USA). You might check for similar deals in your country.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really fail to see the plan tbh.

Yeah, people bought like crazy when the store was closing, but now they announced it stays open, yet there are no discounts.

I'm tempted to say it's  malice, but Sony is incompetent  first,  exploitative second.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

I really fail to see the plan tbh.

Yeah, people bought like crazy when the store was closing, but now they announced it stays open, yet there are no discounts.

I'm tempted to say it's  malice, but Sony is incompetent  first,  exploitative second.

 

People buying like crazy was strange to me. As I said before, why would I reward Sony for a business decision I don't like? But then again, the store stayed open, so...I guess it worked. 

 

But we agree on one thing: upper management at Sony is pretty incompetent. For me, Sony's idiotic failure to make PSNow more viable, after finally getting the subscribers they've waited years for, was the final piece of evidence. Things like their censorship policy, or closing the store, etc. - these would certainly anger a vocal minority, but in the end, it probably wouldn't matter either way.

 

But failing to do anything with PSNow was just...incompetent.

Edited by starcrunch061
3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, starcrunch061 said:

 

People buying like crazy was strange to me. As I said before, why would I reward Sony for a business decision I don't like? But then again, the store stayed open, so...I guess it worked. 

 

But we agree on one thing: upper management at Sony is pretty incompetent. For me, Sony's idiotic failure to make PSNow more viable, after finally getting the subscribers they've waited years for, was the final piece of evidence. Things like their censorship policy, or closing the store, etc. - these would certainly anger a vocal minority, but in the end, it probably wouldn't matter either way.

 

But failing to do anything with PSNow was just...incompetent.

Well yes,  I didn't  buy anything, but some still did out of FOMO, not out  of goodwill towards Sony.

PSNow is another strange can of worms, my country had to wait years  after America, England etc,  and I still don't  understand  why sone games can be downloaded while others only streamed, I mean, playing an action game  with a faulty connection on psnow? Not a great experience. So, something like turn based RPGs or  various strategy games like Xcom? They take a long, long time, so it's  not advisable to the  "rent" style  service of the product.

It's  just... meh.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im glad im not sony. If the 15 year odl store closes all hell breakes loose. If it stays open its even worse? 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, gyrocop said:

The problem is that closing down the store is anti-consumerist and anti-preservation

 

No one should be able to advocate for account-based DRM in a walled garden and support it financially, then turn around and cry about anti-preservation.  It's literally the opposite of preservation.  No matter what way you look at it, these servers will eventually go down and these games will eventually not work anymore.  It's not Sony's job to unrealistically keep their servers running forever, it's our job to not support something so unsustainable.

Edited by Dreakon13
3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just because Sony decided to hold off on shutting down the PS3/Vita stores, doesn't mean it won't happen eventually. I advise anyone who is still looking to buy PS3/Vita games to do so now or in the very near future.

 

Having constant error messages on the PS3 store was enough for me to realize this.

 

2 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

 

No one should be able to advocate for account-based DRM in a walled garden and support it financially, then turn around and cry about anti-preservation.  It's literally the opposite of preservation.  No matter what way you look at it, these servers will eventually go down and these games will eventually not work anymore.  It's not Sony's job to unrealistically keep their servers running forever, it's our job to not support something so unsustainable.

 

It's the same with delistings. The digital future is looking more bleak with each passing day. Steam is the only platform that has done it right. Sony and EA/Origins both fail. I can't give Microsoft sympathy either, they do a grand job in killing their own products as they have done many times in the past.

 

Get what you can while you still can, and move on. That's all any of us can do at this point.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AJ_Radio said:

That's all any of us can do at this point.

 

Support physical copies, and raise hell for this CMOS battery crap. ;)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dreakon13 said:

 

Support physical copies, and raise hell for this CMOS battery crap. ;)

 

I have no comment on the CMOs battery bullshit. I feel half of that is just people overreacting. It does suck if the battery does indeed die out on you. But then again, we overreact and complain about practically everything these days.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

 

I have no comment on the CMOs battery bullshit. I feel half of that is just people overreacting. It does suck if the battery does indeed die out on you. But then again, we overreact and complain about practically everything these days.

 

Sounds like there isn't much to worry about, Sony has admitted it's an issue being looked into (likely an oversight and/or stupidity on their end)... and as other's have kindly pointed out to me, a factory reset of the PS4 should bring it back to a "not needing internet" state as I'm sure new PS4's are probably occasionally used without ever accessing PSN and should be fine.  Plus it's reportedly less of an issue with PS5's.

 

But it's still a bit maddening how a little battery could topple everything. xD

Edited by Dreakon13
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.