Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The_Kopite

Kemco games

21 posts in this topic

Heard some of these are pretty decent and also can be platinumed reasonably quickly as well, and always nice to have some JRPG's to play. Anyone recommend any of them in paricular? Sometimes I see them going on sale and so thought I might add a few to the backlog in the future.

Well that depends, not all of them have plats and I'm not sure you can really say they're quick plats but as far as JRPG's go I guess they are a bit faster/easier. Otherwise they tend to be kinda generic but not bad if you're into JRPG's already.

1 hour ago, Willreaper41 said:

Well that depends, not all of them have plats and I'm not sure you can really say they're quick plats but as far as JRPG's go I guess they are a bit faster/easier. Otherwise they tend to be kinda generic but not bad if you're into JRPG's already.

Fair enough, I'd got Dragon Sinker, Sephirothic Stories and Revenant Saga put down as possibilities to get. Heard that Sephirothic Stories was quick, Dragon Sinker's trophy guide makes it sound like a decent and reasonable game and Revenant Saga looked good. Think they all have platinums....

3 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Heard some of these are pretty decent and also can be platinumed reasonably quickly as well, and always nice to have some JRPG's to play. Anyone recommend any of them in paricular? Sometimes I see them going on sale and so thought I might add a few to the backlog in the future.

I've said this before, but for me, the exe.create games are pretty much interchangeable. There are some duds (I'm not a fan of their 3-D games, and I really hate Sephirotic Stories), but if you buy one, you're pretty much getting the same quality across the board.

You mention Revenant Saga: that's a pretty good one. I thought its sequel, Revenant Dogma, was significantly weaker overall. My personal favorites out of that group are Dragon Sinker and Alvastia Chronicles, though both of those have 2-D battles (Revenant Saga has 3-D battles, which I think look pretty mediocre).

on the other hand, the games from Hit.Point can differ a bit. They developed my favorite Kemco RPG (Monochrome Order), as well as a couple of others I like (Legend of the Tetrarchs, which I liked, and Monster Viator, which has an incredibly annoying hurdle for the plat, but is otherwise solid). 

Posted (edited)

35 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I've said this before, but for me, the exe.create games are pretty much interchangeable. There are some duds (I'm not a fan of their 3-D games, and I really hate Sephirotic Stories), but if you buy one, you're pretty much getting the same quality across the board.

You mention Revenant Saga: that's a pretty good one. I thought its sequel, Revenant Dogma, was significantly weaker overall. My personal favorites out of that group are Dragon Sinker and Alvastia Chronicles, though both of those have 2-D battles (Revenant Saga has 3-D battles, which I think look pretty mediocre).

on the other hand, the games from Hit.Point can differ a bit. They developed my favorite Kemco RPG (Monochrome Order), as well as a couple of others I like (Legend of the Tetrarchs, which I liked, and Monster Viator, which has an incredibly annoying hurdle for the plat, but is otherwise solid). 

Okay cool thanks. I'll look into your recommendations and I like 2-D hence Dragon Sinker being up there on the list (plus it being a Vita game which is sweet!) so yeah definitely interested. exe.create and hit.point are two different developers and kemco is the publisher then I assume?

Didn't realise that Revenant Saga was on the Vita too! Always cool to give the Vita some love!

Edited by The_Kopite
Updated information

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, The_Kopite said:

Okay cool thanks. I'll look into your recommendations and I like 2-D hence Dragon Sinker being up there on the list (plus it being a Vita game which is sweet!) so yeah definitely interested. exe.create and hit.point are two different developers and kemco is the publisher then I assume?

That is correct. There is another dev in the stable, but I haven't played any games from them (and don't even know their name right now).

Oh, and feel free to use my Dragon Sinker guide. It's totally unnecessary, but it's there.

Edited by starcrunch061

Sephirothic Stories is pretty quick, around 10-15 hours, but out of the ones I've played it's also the worst one by far. I'll recommend Alvastia Chronicles. It's one of the quicker ones (20 or so hours) and it's also pretty good. The stories are all super JRPG-y with no real new beats or twists. Heard Dragon Sinker should be good, but I haven't gotten to that one. I've only played a bit of Revenant Saga, but I sorta remember the story being a bit darker and more interesting than the usual Kemco fare. 

1 minute ago, starcrunch061 said:

That is correct. There is another dev in the stable, but I haven't played any games from them (and don't even know their name right now).

I think you're thinking of Rideon who made Marenian Tavern Story and Blacksmith of the Sand Kingdom which from what little I have played are much longer affairs, but also pretty cool, and have a bit of management sim attached to their JRPGs. Kemco also sometimes publishes a couple of different types of things like the visual novel Raging Loop to the Mom Hid My Game series and Citizens Unite! Earth x Space. They also have a couple of more Japan-only titles like that.

13 minutes ago, The_Kopite said:

Didn't realise that Revenant Saga was on the Vita too! Always cool to give the Vita some love!

There are a lot of Kemco titles available for Vita, and many are crossbuy.

9 minutes ago, gyrocop said:

Sephirothic Stories is pretty quick, around 10-15 hours, but out of the ones I've played it's also the worst one by far. I'll recommend Alvastia Chronicles. It's one of the quicker ones (20 or so hours) and it's also pretty good. The stories are all super JRPG-y with no real new beats or twists. Heard Dragon Sinker should be good, but I haven't gotten to that one. I've only played a bit of Revenant Saga, but I sorta remember the story being a bit darker and more interesting than the usual Kemco fare. 

I think you're thinking of Rideon who made Marenian Tavern Story and Blacksmith of the Sand Kingdom which from what little I have played are much longer affairs, but also pretty cool, and have a bit of management sim attached to their JRPGs. Kemco also sometimes publishes a couple of different types of things like the visual novel Raging Loop to the Mom Hid My Game series and Citizens Unite! Earth x Space. They also have a couple of more Japan-only titles like that.

That's really intriguing, I didn't realise that. Thought they just published JRPG's, sounds like they have their hands in a few different areas. (I've heard of the Mom Hid My Game series) Yep on my list is definitely Dragon Sinker and Revenant Saga (which sounds more interesting now with the darker story you mention). 

Both of you have mentioned Alvastia Chronicles being a good one, sadly it's not available on the UK Playstation Store though so maybe they'll put it on there one day. 

7 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

There are a lot of Kemco titles available for Vita, and many are crossbuy.

Good to know 👍

I will agree that some are mostly interchangeable. The story may be changed up but story wise, expect to beat the story, play through to secret ending. You may have some additional side quests, some games like Illusion do not require you to beat all side quests just to clear certain ones. There is usually a battle arena, so it helps having a maxed out party to clear it, which is also the spot to get the max trophy for damage and hits. Some have treasure chests or really annoying are the step count trophies. 

Some to be midful of:

Bonds of the Sky: you have to collect minerals for crafting to clear some side quests and one especially takes some RNG luck to get as it only appears in one spot and only once every few attempts to collect it going in and out of the same dungeon.

Frane: This one has missables, as you have to get characters to get to a certain social level and if you advance to far they can be locked out of. So once you get to a certain spot in the sotry you have to pause and do all the social trophies and then finish up the game. 

15 minutes ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

Some to be midful of:

Bonds of the Sky: you have to collect minerals for crafting to clear some side quests and one especially takes some RNG luck to get as it only appears in one spot and only once every few attempts to collect it going in and out of the same dungeon.

Frane: This one has missables, as you have to get characters to get to a certain social level and if you advance to far they can be locked out of. So once you get to a certain spot in the sotry you have to pause and do all the social trophies and then finish up the game. 

Adding to the missable stuff, the "Asdivine" games that I've played all have missable ending trophies, and if you aren't careful, you WILL miss them. The reason is that once you raise your social rank with your party members, the game will lock you out of a particular member's ending. But it's really unnatural NOT to raise your social rank when you can. I think this is why the trophies for Asdivine Hearts (which is no more difficult than any other Kemco game) have such low percentages (relatively speaking).

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

Adding to the missable stuff, the "Asdivine" games that I've played all have missable ending trophies, and if you aren't careful, you WILL miss them. The reason is that once you raise your social rank with your party members, the game will lock you out of a particular member's ending. But it's really unnatural NOT to raise your social rank when you can. I think this is why the trophies for Asdivine Hearts (which is no more difficult than any other Kemco game) have such low percentages (relatively speaking).

Haven't played the rest of the series, but in Asdivine Hearts 1, you can buy special items for the different party members, and if you give them the one they hate, you can lower their affinity and thereby engineer the endings you get just right before you face the final boss. You just need to have done the normal endings before you save over your files for the true endings.

1 minute ago, gyrocop said:

Haven't played the rest of the series, but in Asdivine Hearts 1, you can buy special items for the different party members, and if you give them the one they hate, you can lower their affinity and thereby engineer the endings you get just right before you face the final boss. You just need to have done the normal endings before you save over your files for the true endings.

Oh, that's right. I forgot about the negative items (though it is still slightly missable if you move on to the true ending). Thanks for the clarification.

3 hours ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

I will agree that some are mostly interchangeable. The story may be changed up but story wise, expect to beat the story, play through to secret ending. You may have some additional side quests, some games like Illusion do not require you to beat all side quests just to clear certain ones. There is usually a battle arena, so it helps having a maxed out party to clear it, which is also the spot to get the max trophy for damage and hits. Some have treasure chests or really annoying are the step count trophies. 

Some to be midful of:

Bonds of the Sky sounds like it could be a bit grindy then sadly, RNG really can be a bugger. Frane sounds like you would need a really good walkthrough or trophy guide in order to not mess that up.........thanks for the info!

3 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Someone recommended those to me once, but didn't know they were Kemco games. Ones to look into too?

1 hour ago, gyrocop said:

Multiple endings in an RPG and having to engineer them with 'negative' items sounds pretty complex and potentially awkward to me sadly...

The best Kemco Game for me yet was "Illusion of L'Phalcia" :)

Cool story and totally underrated!

5 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Bonds of the Sky sounds like it could be a bit grindy then sadly, RNG really can be a bugger. Frane sounds like you would need a really good walkthrough or trophy guide in order to not mess that up.........thanks for the info!

Someone recommended those to me once, but didn't know they were Kemco games. Ones to look into too?

Multiple endings in an RPG and having to engineer them with 'negative' items sounds pretty complex and potentially awkward to me sadly...

Look at xboxachievements. They have good walkthroughs and guides for each game. For deeper info rpg insanity is your one stop shop.

8 hours ago, jayboo1991 said:

The best Kemco Game for me yet was "Illusion of L'Phalcia" :)

Cool story and totally underrated!

I am going to check that one out, cheers! 👍

3 hours ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

Look at xboxachievements. They have good walkthroughs and guides for each game. For deeper info rpg insanity is your one stop shop.

Thanks loads for the tips! I forget to look at xboxachievements for obvious reasons lol never heard of rpg insanity before so will definitely give that a look! Appreciate it!👍

7 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

I am going to check that one out, cheers! 1f44d.png

Thanks loads for the tips! I forget to look at xboxachievements for obvious reasons lol never heard of rpg insanity before so will definitely give that a look! Appreciate it!1f44d.png

Most do but they for some reason get the good writeups for Kemco games and they are rarely transferred over to their sistersite for playstation users.

1 hour ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

Most do but they for some reason get the good writeups for Kemco games and they are rarely transferred over to their sistersite for playstation users.

Good to know and certainly an oddity.....perhaps more Xbox people play these games compared to Playstation owners?

3 minutes ago, The_Kopite said:

Good to know and certainly an oddity.....perhaps more Xbox people play these games compared to Playstation owners?

I think it has more to do with they get released earlier on Xbox than PlayStation. It is usually by a few weeks or more

19 minutes ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

I think it has more to do with they get released earlier on Xbox than PlayStation. It is usually by a few weeks or more

Ah I see, makes sense.