1.3.3 Corrupts files when playing online Edit: fixed

Nicco555

The recent update seems to have enabled finding the corpses of other players. When I interacted with one I got a save error popup and my file had been deleted. After downloading my save again and playing for a bit, I got a message saying that another player had avenged me, and another save error and deleted file. Online play can be disabled in-game, but you'll have to relaunch the game for it to take effect.

Edit:

Edit 2: 1.3.4 is now released and the issue should be fixed.

Edited by Nicco555

I'm getting these save errors with whatever I do, every single enemy killed etc.

Be careful, I insta-quit the game and re-downloaded my save from the cloud which was from before updating. So im staying off until they fix this. Do not want a save corruption.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Misshandlad said:

I'm getting these save errors with whatever I do, every single enemy killed etc.

Be careful, I insta-quit the game and re-downloaded my save from the cloud which was from before updating. So im staying off until they fix this. Do not want a save corruption.

The errors seem to start when you find a corpse, then it will give a save error every time the game saves. I haven't had any issues so far after disabling online features.

Edited by Nicco555

10 minutes ago, Nicco555 said:

The errors seem to start when you find a corpse, then it will give a save error every time the game saves. I haven't had any issues so far after disabling online features.

I tried disabling online features and Im still getting the save errors when opening chests etc 

1 minute ago, Misshandlad said:

Yeah, I started the game, disabled online, quit back out and re-downloaded my old save from before patch and still got those errors.

Strange, it's working for me.

Edit: If you redownloaded your save after changing settings you are probably still online.

Edited by Nicco555

Ouf, seeing a lot of people on Twitter and Reddit reporting the same save issues:
https://twitter.com/Housemarque/status/1390024955459407879 (Click on patch notes tweet to see replies)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Returnal/comments/n3wk2a/bug_reporting_info_feature_requests_thread/

Best wait for next patch or play this without latest patch...(Although, you may run into Trophies issues =/)

Edited by DragonSpear2462

Seeing how widespread this is and the fact that increasing the corpse numbers was one of the main fixes, I'm surprised that this wasn't caught by QA before they pushed out the patch =/

Housemarque is also recommending players to not launch the game until new patch is out:

Edited by DragonSpear2462

So is this preventing any progression? Like if I get a collectible while this error is occurring, then nothing is updating? 

Edit: figured I'd try to do my 30 proficiency while I was close..got to 29.5 and the game crashed anyways! Reinstalling ?

Edited by MyNameIs_Rainman
  • Like 1

So I wanted to let everyone know to make sure you either stop playing or at the very least have a backup save. I’m down to the last of the collectibles, and I just want to finish up, so I’ve been pushing through the damn “Something Went Wrong” error. And I noticed that the picture that was normally popping up that had a picture of the name on a black ground, was now a plus sign like it was a fresh save. Lo and behold I closed the game and went to start up again, the save file is gone and an empty one is in place. 

Fortunately, I had the auto sync turned off and I still have a backup. So just a head up for anyone knee deep in the grind as well. 

I thought my save was gone and after some investigating it looks like it just wiped out any progress i had made today since the patch dropped. Still sucks to lose any progress at all but it's better than a complete wipe.

Edited by lurch_9944
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Valkirye22 said:

I've interacted with a few scout corpses with no errors but it's mostly useless. They drop nothing valuable in exchange for risking it with powerful enemies or 3 ether to loot

Same here, no errors so far. One of the corpses converted in an enemy with tentacles and didn't get any ether just a weapon. But yeah, pretty useless.

My save file is all gone and I have to completely restart. The bug was so bad it completely froze my system and I had to unplug it to do a full system reboot. First game I have really had any problems with outside of the occasional crashing on the PS5