reddlotus_

Do we think collectibles will get another less random patch?

22 posts in this topic

Ive beat the game 3 times and I'm still missing..

#9,#21,#22,#27,#33,#44,#46,#50,#56,#63 Scout Logs

That on top of quite a few ciphers from each biome. Spent most of the day running through and haven't really found anything new and its doing my head in. I love the game but, probably shelfing it at least until theres better explanations on how you might be able to proc certain room spawns or how many logs are in a certain biome etc.

1 hour ago, reddlotus_ said:

Ive beat the game 3 times and I'm still missing..

#9,#21,#22,#27,#33,#44,#46,#50,#56,#63 Scout Logs

That on top of quite a few ciphers from each biome. Spent most of the day running through and haven't really found anything new and its doing my head in. I love the game but, probably shelfing it at least until theres better explanations on how you might be able to proc certain room spawns or how many logs are in a certain biome etc.

They should or risk losing more sales.  There are many options such as showing the collectibles on the map as soon as you spawn (now all you gotta do is get there), changing the color and or shape of it, giving them a higher chance to spawn after beating the game or make a collectible mode (like LIS). 

I'm missing 2 ciphers in biome 2 and 6 for platinum and this awful grind has left a bad impression on the game and makers. 

25 minutes ago, Fr_0zt said:

They should or risk losing more sales.  There are many options such as showing the collectibles on the map as soon as you spawn (now all you gotta do is get there), changing the color and or shape of it, giving them a higher chance to spawn after beating the game or make a collectible mode (like LIS). 

I'm missing 2 ciphers in biome 2 and 6 for platinum and this awful grind has left a bad impression on the game and makers. 

Collectibles on the map would definitely be nice. Randomness is a little annoying but, Id take random and map labeled over what we have now. As for sales unless you're talking about yourself personally they'll probably be fine. Hardcore trophy hunters are a very small percentage of gamers, otherwise the game is amazing in my opinion.

I don't think they will patch it as it wasn't done in error it is working as the developers intended. It isn't player friendly though i do agree. I am having the same problem as everyone else about 16 hours to roll credits and I'm almost 50 hours now with still 4 biomes with either 1 or 2 collectibles left.

Just 1 more collectable in biome 6 for the platinum. I loved the game in the beginning but after almost a full week dedicated to grinding the same stuff over and over this is getting a big 4/10 for me. Awful game design.

40 minutes ago, jack_a_snacks said:

I don't think they will patch it as it wasn't done in error it is working as the developers intended. 

I do wonder about this. It feels weird to think that this is as intended in the case of Scout Log 9. After 100s of runs on the same floor and no better or worse chances for it to pop up, it might just be an oversight.

If the lore bits were tied to doing different things and experimenting with the game's features, then I would have no problem with it I think, but wholly random is definitely not player-friendly like you said. It makes me think they didn't even consider it. 

i've beaten it six times and just need these survey trophies. no idea what the game wants me to do.

1 hour ago, mikeygjr007 said:

I do wonder about this. It feels weird to think that this is as intended in the case of Scout Log 9. After 100s of runs on the same floor and no better or worse chances for it to pop up, it might just be an oversight.

If the lore bits were tied to doing different things and experimenting with the game's features, then I would have no problem with it I think, but wholly random is definitely not player-friendly like you said. It makes me think they didn't even consider it. 

From a trophy hunter stand point and getting wrapped up in getting a platinum 100% as quickly as possible (which I am most definitely guilty of) it’s rough, for me it was 20hrs of beating the game and 40hrs+ running around. 

That being said I think it’s operating precisely as the developers intended. Since rogue-likes/rouge-lites the name of the game is replay-ability the idea is not so much as to burn through it. It’s just for each run be unique, so the collectibles would happen over time. I can’t speak for everyone, but I think there may be a lot of newcomers to the genre who are unaware or their experience is limited. I fall into the latter but since I loved Next Machina so much I threw caution to the wind. 

1 hour ago, Umbra_Witcher said:

i've beaten it six times and just need these survey trophies. no idea what the game wants me to do.

all scout logs and ciphers in each biome 

6 hours ago, Lowlliet said:

I get that people are pissed off and tired. I was too. The grind is awful but let’s be rational.

Giving the game 4/10 just because of trophy requirement is absurd. 

Depends on multiple factors for me and that's just my opinion.

- Story was "ok" for me. I just didn't like the ending. 

- Trophy related it was just absolute dogshit. 

- Devs throwing out a patch that got a lot of people's save messed up. If I didn't read all the warnings on discord at the time I was downloading that patch I would have been screwed as well. I was just in time for a cloud save.

- Replay value is just meh.

Atleast I'm not a metacritic crazy who instantly yells 1/10 for no reason.

I know I will probably be roasted for this or told it isn't true but I believe at least 1 collectable spawns per run per biome and whether you find it or not is up to you.  I have done maybe 10 complete runs and have always found a collectable in each biome except for biome 2 which I entered the room that I kept missing a glyph in on my previous runs, after grabbing it my next runs all had easy to find collectables in that biome.  I do believe some are locked behind certain things and I do not recommend grinding collectables until you have beaten act 3 as well as done a daily.  

I believe people are missing them or haven't met the requirements.  I suggest doing Act 1 and then Act 2 and repeating that process because I think certain ones are locked behind other collectables.  This is what I have been doing and I have regularly found collectables every run.  I think people are too caught up trying to reset and grind one biome at a time and it is fucking them.

Be very certain you arent just missing them because a lot of them are in areas that dont pop up on the map and you have to look for ways to get to certain areas.

1 minute ago, iGGTheEnd said:

I know I will probably be roasted for this or told it isn't true but I believe at least 1 collectable spawns per run per biome and whether you find it or not is up to you.  I have done maybe 10 complete runs and have always found a collectable in each biome except for biome 2 which I entered the room that I kept missing a glyph in on my previous runs, after grabbing it my next runs all had easy to find collectables in that biome.  I do believe some are locked behind certain things and I do not recommend grinding collectables until you have beaten act 3 as well as done a daily.  

I believe people are missing them or haven't met the requirements.  I suggest doing Act 1 and then Act 2 and repeating that process because I think certain ones are locked behind other collectables.  This is what I have been doing and I have regularly found collectables every run.  I think people are too caught up trying to reset and grind one biome at a time and it is fucking them.

Be very certain you arent just missing them because a lot of them are in areas that dont pop up on the map and you have to look for ways to get to certain areas.

I can confirm that this is 100% not true. I completed biome 1 and biome 3 collectibles and had to run through biome 2 28 times in order to pick up my last collectible - the room it finally spawned in hadn’t appeared in any of the previous runs I’ve ever been on, RNG just might not be on your side.

2 hours ago, CoffeePS said:

I can confirm that this is 100% not true. I completed biome 1 and biome 3 collectibles and had to run through biome 2 28 times in order to pick up my last collectible - the room it finally spawned in hadn’t appeared in any of the previous runs I’ve ever been on, RNG just might not be on your side.

Ahh okay I ended up getting 4 of the trophies in a row with 1 collectable in each biome and assumed they just had triggers then I died.  Hopefully RNG is on my side when I attempt them tommarow.

Posted (edited)

The only reason it feels like a frustrating grind is because there isn't a good guide yet that shows all the maps with collectibles and which part of the biome they spawn in since most biomes are broken up into different areas where different rooms have a chance to spawn.  The room layouts are always fixed but the order and whether they spawn or not as well as the items within are the only parts that are randomized.  If you know what to look for and which part of the biome it has a chance to spawn in then it would be considerably faster because you'd be able to ignore all rooms that aren't in the target area you need the collectible in.  The main problem I had was just not knowing whether I was missing a room I hadn't seen before or just overlooked something hidden in a room I had already been through many times.

The platinum itself isn't really that bad and only biome 2 feels a bit ridiculous with regard to getting all the ciphers; it took me like 10x more runs through it to find the last room I needed because it is too rare I would say.  Overall the platinum was easier than I was expecting and it is less than 50 hours without any guide.  If in the future someone throws together a guide with every room and every area they have a chance to spawn in then it'd probably cut off 15 hours of time.  Overall, there are plenty of games that take significantly more time to finish and have considerably more RNG to them like Monster Hunter World Iceborne or Destiny 2 (thanks to the triumph seal trophy).

Edited by Elegy

10 hours ago, Amphiprion11513 said:

From a trophy hunter stand point and getting wrapped up in getting a platinum 100% as quickly as possible (which I am most definitely guilty of) it’s rough, for me it was 20hrs of beating the game and 40hrs+ running around. 

That being said I think it’s operating precisely as the developers intended. Since rogue-likes/rouge-lites the name of the game is replay-ability the idea is not so much as to burn through it. It’s just for each run be unique, so the collectibles would happen over time. I can’t speak for everyone, but I think there may be a lot of newcomers to the genre who are unaware or their experience is limited. I fall into the latter but since I loved Next Machina so much I threw caution to the wind. 

I agree, but there is a 'limit' to where replay-ability overstays its welcome. I fully understand no game is infinitely-repayable unless you're a die-hard fan of a particular title.

Returnal is great fun, the controls and the fights are fun, story bits and lore are good, and I had tons of fun going through the game, dying, repeating, learning and become good at it and reading the enemies.

I've completed the story (ACT 3), after about 25 hours because Biome 6 fragment didn't show up is some of my runs and I didn't mind as every time I was going for it I cleared 4 & 5 for the future survey grind. I now have 40 hours is and I know just about every variation of every room in every biome. Every enemy, the layout, what to go for and what to ignore.

At this point, yes I am there where I want to platinum it, but I didn't care for it to be 'fast' or quick as possible. I thoroughly explored and enjoyed the game for everything it has to offer and have now speedrun the entirety for at least 10 times.

I am getting bored and annoyed because now there is nothing more for me to do than hope that the RNG gods will grant me the room I need. I know everything about the room, the enemies, the challenge is gone. It's is only the matter for x or xx hours before I get the right room and can finally click :triangle:

16 hours ago, Amphiprion11513 said:

I definitely agree with trying to burn through it lol I have the same determination.

I think you may be right. I try to look at it like a Binding of Isaac where you unlock something through experimentation or progress and then it can be random on a floor but you usually always see it. With this, though it is such a small chance of that scout log 9 room spawning that I can't help but feel confused by it. I feel like I've seen every room iteration and yet I haven't seen that 1 specific room. It's maddening.

That being said, I'm still going to push through because deep down inside I think "Well it can't be that bad right?" Hahah the platinum is like 4 collectibles away! 

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Valkirye22 said:

I agree, but there is a 'limit' to where replay-ability overstays its welcome. I fully understand no game is infinitely-repayable unless you're a die-hard fan of a particular title.

Returnal is great fun, the controls and the fights are fun, story bits and lore are good, and I had tons of fun going through the game, dying, repeating, learning and become good at it and reading the enemies.

I've completed the story (ACT 3), after about 25 hours because Biome 6 fragment didn't show up is some of my runs and I didn't mind as every time I was going for it I cleared 4 & 5 for the future survey grind. I now have 40 hours is and I know just about every variation of every room in every biome. Every enemy, the layout, what to go for and what to ignore.

At this point, yes I am there where I want to platinum it, but I didn't care for it to be 'fast' or quick as possible. I thoroughly explored and enjoyed the game for everything it has to offer and have now speedrun the entirety for at least 10 times.

I am getting bored and annoyed because now there is nothing more for me to do than hope that the RNG gods will grant me the room I need. I know everything about the room, the enemies, the challenge is gone. It's is only the matter for x or xx hours before I get the right room and can finally click :triangle:

Yeah I'm with you there, everyone goes about their playthroughs differently. I wasn't looking for a fast completion either, I legitimately couldn't stop myself I enjoyed it and the challenge so much, which made playing it more tolerable for me, but like you nearing the end of completion it became taxing mentally. A lot of that has to do with I'm mostly incapable of moving on to another game till I finish what I'm playing. 

Edited by Amphiprion11513
Change

On 5/7/2021 at 6:20 PM, mikeygjr007 said:

After playing the game for about 30 hours (20 of which was actually beating the game) I think it's pretty necessary that they improve the drop rates for these things. 

From a lore perspective why wouldn't they want more people to experience their world-building ya know? The world is fairly interesting and it has no bearing on advantages in gameplay, so they should be sprinkled everywhere. Like, keeping them locked to specific room types is especially heinous to me. 

It's also one of the loudest complaints next to people complaining about saving (which I can understand though I don't really care about it) and the crashing which is an actual issue.

I hope they look into it. Will they? I guess they have bigger things to deal with lol I want this plat and then I want to never touch it for a while. 

youre just lucky. ive beaten the game in 18 hours. but im still grinding for 40+ hours just for 2 collectibles. i started a new save file because i thought it was glitched and i found the missing scout log 9 on my first run. if a log spawn almost always when the room layout is not random but never when its random its just bad design or not supposed to be like this. anyway housemarque seems to be quite about this for some reason

On 5/8/2021 at 4:20 AM, Deluziion90 said:

Depends on multiple factors for me and that's just my opinion.

- Story was "ok" for me. I just didn't like the ending. 

- Trophy related it was just absolute dogshit. 

- Devs throwing out a patch that got a lot of people's save messed up. If I didn't read all the warnings on discord at the time I was downloading that patch I would have been screwed as well. I was just in time for a cloud save.

- Replay value is just meh.

Atleast I'm not a metacritic crazy who instantly yells 1/10 for no reason.

i agree the game plays out the same each run. people who say there's replay value just didn't play other roguelikes like the binding of isaac or hades. returnal is a very good 3rd PS and just a meh rogue like.

From reading how bad the grind was for some players I suspect that drops have been improved slightly in the latest patch.

I did all my grinding in the latest patch and was able to get everything in about 4-5 days grinding 3-4 hours per day. Not terrible, not great. I could have just lucked out with the RNGods this time but based on the fact that there were multiple differnet glyphs and logs people had issue with I suspect drop rates may have been improved.

I don't know if it helped but I turned off PS5 a few times over those days and unplugged from power to clear the cache.

Before people say im gloating, my sins of the mother bugged out so I am currently replaying Acts 1-3 to get that final trophy.

This RNG collectible grind was a walk in the park compared to my worst ever, Uncharted 3 treasures (PS3).

Unfortunately, this game has massive issues. I'm about 65 hours in. Beat the game. Trying to complete the biomes now. I need audio log 9 to complete the first biome 100%. I think its insane how randomized things are. Something like an audio log that advances the story in certain ways should not be locked behind a specific room that spawns 1 time out of the 4830 runs I've done. Trophies being glitched, audio issues, crashes. Those are 3 pretty large issues that make the game hard to recommend to others. At times, its such an amazing game and at others, its beyond frustrating. My runs would often be 2-3 hours long to get what I wanted to face the boss. Lucky for me, I've only crashed 3 times. 

I really hope the trophies get another look at because i would love to platinum this game.