Thoughts about the story after completion?

So they really killed Ethan. He didn't deserve any of this... ?. I felt so bad for him in this game. I really thought they would use him for one more game to complete a First Person trilogy but clearly I was wrong. 

In my opinion Capcom did a much better job with Ethan this time around as a character. I don't know about you guys but when I finished RE7 I couldn't care less about him. I guess the overall concept of father looking for his daughter is a lot easier to get attached to than husband looking for his wife to me. They've also made Ethan a lot more expressive in response to what he's experiencing in the game, which helped made me feel more in sync with his character. 

I thought the story reveals were pretty neat. (Ozwell E. Spencer being Miranda's student, how he came up with the name of Umbrella by taking inspiration from the symbols he found in the village, Eveline/E series being an altered version of the mutamycete which originated from the megamycete in the village, etc). I also liked the slight parallel between Miranda wanting to 'save' her daughter Eva and Ethan wanting to save Rose.  

The only thing I still don't get is how Ethan became 'fully' molded like Eveline said in that weird dream sequence. When exactly did he become molded? After Jack 'killed' him in the attic in the beginning of RE7? Or was he always molded even before reaching the Bakers? 

I'd like to read your thoughts on the story as well guys! Definitely interested in where Capcom will go with this direction. They're hinting something about BSAA Europe in the end so maybe it's that? 

Edited by PostGameBlues
  • Like 1

Ethan dying at the end hit me hard I was like damn I was starting to like this guy  just makes me wonder what will resi 9 be about them going after the bssaa us playing as Rose or maybe the whole game as Chris  also I like to know if Leon Claire Jill are still alive etc and what there doing 

Edited by Thephoenixshow
  • Like 1

RE8 suffered from the same thing as every single RE game. A great start with a bad ending. The first 75% of all RE games are great while the last 25% is mediocre. Wonder who will be the main protagonist in RE9 though. It will probably be first person as well since they seem to change every 3rd game. First 3 was static camera 4-6 was 3rd person and 7-8 was first person. 

I absolutely loved the story from the beginning till the end. I loved how chad Ethan became, Chris segments were awesome and connections with previous games were pretty well done. The Ethan twist was a little extreme, but i will take it. I kinda laughed how they actually explained the plot armor.

7 hours ago, PostGameBlues said:

The only thing I still don't get is how Ethan became 'fully' molded like Eveline said in that weird dream sequence. When exactly did he become molded? After Jack 'killed' him in the attic in the beginning of RE7? Or was he always molded even before reaching the Bakers?

I guess the moment when Jack steps on your head is when Ethan dies. You can hear his skull cracking. Eveline resurrected him with the Mold, because she wanted him alive, she wanted him to be her daddy. At least that's my explanation.

The continuation with BSAA would be really interesting in my opinion, i'm really curious what's coming next.

I'm just not sure what to think of Ethan's death. Is he actually dead? His grave is there, his grown daughter is there, "the father's story is done" text is there, but the car scene is also there, and people of reddit experimented with photo mode to reveal who's the guy near the road.

2l82EJC.jpg

Reused asset? Mimic? Actual Ethan? I have no idea.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, W0ndrful101 said:

I absolutely loved the story from the beginning till the end. I loved how chad Ethan became, Chris segments were awesome and connections with previous games were pretty well done. The Ethan twist was a little extreme, but i will take it. I kinda laughed how they actually explained the plot armor.

I guess the moment when Jack steps on your head is when Ethan dies. You can hear his skull cracking. Eveline resurrected him with the Mold, because she wanted him alive, she wanted him to be her daddy. At least that's my explanation.

The continuation with BSAA would be really interesting in my opinion, i'm really curious what's coming next.

I'm just not sure what to think of Ethan's death. Is he actually dead? His grave is there, his grown daughter is there, "the father's story is done" text is there, but the car scene is also there, and people of reddit experimented with photo mode to reveal who's the guy near the road.

2l82EJC.jpg

Reused asset? Mimic? Actual Ethan? I have no idea.

I see, that makes a lot of sense. And yeah at the end I was like is that just a random civilian in the road or is it Ethan? It's definitely weird, the ending just froze on that last frame with the car and the person next to it. I would prefer if the BSAA Europe thing is DLC for this game, since I feel like it still belongs in the whole mold plotline. Re9 with Rose as protagonist would be cool, but she looks like a young teen still and I don't know how you can make a survival horror game with the main chracter having god-like powers lol.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PostGameBlues said:

I see, that makes a lot of sense. And yeah at the end I was like is that just a random civilian in the road or is it Ethan? It's definitely weird, the ending just froze on that last frame with the car and the person next to it. I would prefer if the BSAA Europe thing is DLC for this game, since I feel like it still belongs in the whole mold plotline. Re9 with Rose as protagonist would be cool, but she looks like a young teen still and I don't know how you can make a survival horror game with the main chracter having god-like powers lol.

They don't necessarily have to make RE9 at that time. They could go back when Rose is still coming into her abilities, as I recall that particular scene when the Suit "joked" with her and called her Eveline she got really pissed and shoved him hard enough to make the SUV shift. I would love to see her come to terms with her being a pseudo-resurrected version of Eveline, but more importantly, Chris finally stopping trying to continue the Redfield bloodline, but we all know he would try to have Rose continue the Winters bloodline instead...with Leon's son.

• Like 1

Megamycete or whatever is called, is like the database for the human personalities, so even thou the real Ethan was dead in the beginning of RE7, the mold made exact copy of a person or rather his body mutated so he was kinda human-mold hybrid? Like Rose is now? 

I think Rose could have "downloaded" all personalities into her and she has them all in her head and she speaks with Ethan regularly LOL! 

BSAA are clearly the bad guys now, since they are using soldiers that are bioweapons, and I wonder what of Blue Umbrella? Nothing on them since Re7. 

Oh yeah, where the hell is HUNK? 

Edited by Ptirle
  • Like 3

I was anticipating a Leon cameo at the end to tie into the whole RE4 being an inspiration for Village and to mirror what they done at the end of RE7 with the Redfield reveal.

Besides that, Oswell E. Spencer was a great reveal near the end. Ethan dying was a surprise as he was invincible throughout the whole game. However, the whole end sequence felt rushed to me to be honest.

Miranda had no character development and despite trying to make her an evil religious leader like Saddler, she falls short as she has barely any dialogue until the last act. It is tough to even understand her motivations for what she is doing because she has barely any buildup or screen time.

Miranda's presence was actually devalued by her 4 lords in the beginning of the game. She stands there with her 4 lords represented by her 4 crow wings while they do all the chatter and fanfare over who gets to kill Ethan.

All 4 of the lords had more personality and interesting themes compared to Miranda. Initially I would have said the puppet girl was the weakest lord but the more I think about it, her area and dolls (especially that crazy oversized creepy baby ?) were the part of the game that stick with me the most.

So I'm looking forward to my hardcore playthrough to see how I feel about the areas and the lords and perhaps to pay more attention to any mentions of Miranda to give her a second chance as the main antagonist.

Edited by FreshFromThaDeli
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Ptirle said:

I think Rose could have "downloaded" all personalities in to her and she has them all in her head and she speaks with Ethan regularly LOL! 

A bit like the Bene Gesserit Reverend Mother's "Other Memory" thing in DUNE. So it would not be the first time this has been done in fiction and therefore could be a reasonable possibility.

• Like 1

I wish there was more time spent with Lady D, Miranda and Donna but overall i liked the story quite a bit and the end was definitely the weakest but i still really enjoyed it. I just wish we got a little bit more time to play as Chris. Overall i think i like this game more than Re7 but nothing can top Re2 Remake for me. I also quite liked the re7 and re1 tie ins even if they're a little contrived, im very looking forward to Re9 though i hope we can have like a Chris, Jill, Leon and Claire team up or something

Edited by TheDragonfly44
  • Like 4

So factory monsters were ripped of from a Frankenstein's Army movie... especially the Jet Soldat and Sturm. Figures... didnt know why the factory segment was needed as it just doesn't feel like a RE at all. And Heisenberg was such a cool character and could have been a little deeper then what we got and could kinda continue to exists after the game and be like what Ocelot was to MGS games but no, he had to be a big bad robot at the end ROFL. Wasted potential for a pretty cool char.

Edited by Ptirle

14 hours ago, TheDragonfly44 said:

I wish there was more time spent with Lady D, Miranda and Donna but overall i liked the story quite a bit and the end was definitely the weakest but i still really enjoyed it. I just wish we got a little bit more time to play as Chris. Overall i think i like this game more than Re7 but nothing can top Re2 Remake for me. I also quite liked the re7 and re1 tie ins even if they're a little contrived, im very looking forward to Re9 though i hope we can have like a Chris, Jill, Leon and Claire team up or something

I really felt like Lady Dimitrescu was a more menacing character than the supposed main villain Mother Miranda. Miranda barely got any screen time or development aside from being mentioned by other characters and I will say that I didn't really connect with her motivations since I didn't care about her at all. I wish Lady Dimitrescu was like Jack from Re7, multiple encounters throughout the game. Heisenberg I felt was also disappointing as a character. You could summarise his character as 'scared to be killed by Ethan so he wants to team up with him to kill Mother Miranda'. That's it lol. Donna/Angie and Moreau were fine to me, and I thought House Beneviento and the Reservoir were great segments of the game. I do wish they didn't scrap their initial decision of making the Reservoir explorable and not submerged in water. I would have loved to explore a proper fishing village with some aquatic life-like enemies.

Edited by PostGameBlues
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PostGameBlues said:

I really felt like Lady Dimitrescu was a more menacing character than the supposed main villain Mother Miranda. Miranda barely got any screen time or development aside from being mentioned by other characters and I will say that I didn't really connect with her motivations since I didn't care about her at all. I wish Lady Dimitrescu was like Jack from Re7, multiple encounters throughout the game. Heisenberg I felt was also disappointing as a character. You could summarise his character as 'scared to be killed by Ethan so he wants to team up with him to kill Mother Miranda'. That's it lol. Donna/Angie and Moreau were fine to me, and I thought House Beneviento and the Reservoir were great segments of the game. I do wish they didn't scrap their initial decision of making the Reservoir explorable and not submerged in water. I would have loved to explore a proper fishing village with some aquatic life-like enemies.

Dont know about Heisenberg being scared of Ethan, more like testing him and he could slice him in two or in pieces whenever he wanted because of his Magneto powers... The two of them working together would be a nice twist... 

Edited by Ptirle

Rushed ending and under developed characters. :/ shame. Otherwise a decent game. I liked re7 alot better.

I also felt the lady dimitrescu marketing was weird considering her part in the game is short lived. Missed opportunity. The castle part is over before you know it.

Edited by UlvenFenrir
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, UlvenFenrir said:

Rushed ending and under developed characters. :/ shame. Otherwise a decent game. I liked re7 alot better.

My experience was similar, the game was ok (even though I didn't really like it) but I felt exhausted and unsatisfied after it endet.

Spoiler

Not only because the story was complete nonsense and riddled with plot holes but they felt it was necessary to let Ethan die "the hero death" after letting him suffer like a second Jesus during two games instead of just putting him inside that damn chopper and trigger the bomb from up there.

While clearly influenced by RE4, RE8 Village takes itself very seriously behind his goofy characters and Disneyland setting and therefore lacks a lot of the charm and self awareness of its role model. ( Yeah RE4 is dumb, but it knows it is dumb and is not trying to come up with some Bravo Sierra to justify itself).

Capcom could as well have called the game just VILLAGE and sell it as an action fps because, if you scrap Chris Redfield and some Umbrella references you would barely notice this is a Resident Evil game at all.

I am quite surprised some critics are calling this one of the best games in the series because, honestly, there is ten times more Resident Evil in Resi 6 than there is in Village and while the game is decent, as a Resident Evil in my opinion it fails but that is just my 5 cents. And RE7 clearly showed that the series is fully able to reinvent itself while still keeping its essence.

• Like 1

Rant and spoilers ahead, of course.

I've been dithering about whether or not I like the game.

I certainly enjoyed it but I found the story very lacking - its seemed to be answering questions no one was really asking e.g. What was the source of the Mold?

Mother Miranda is a big nothing character with confusing motivations that aren't really made too clear until the very end - and even then its confusing.

Something about bringing her long dead daughter back? Also she is over a 100 years old/immortal because of interacting with the Megamycete? 

Also what was the point of the 'Ceremony?' - at first I thought it was just for show to keep the four Lords and townsfolk in order.

But there is no supernatural explanations in Resi 8, why didn't Miranda just do the 'ceremony' as soon as she got Rose or while Ethan was buggering around Heisenberg's factory? 

And the stupid throwaway mention of Ozwell.E.Spencer rubs me the wrong, mainly because its in a throwaway document right at the end of the game and the game doing the 'You know this completely unheard/unmentioned character? Well they actually influenced events from the very beginning!" thing.

The twist that Ethan was 'dead' all along and was actually a 'mold zombie' was so... so what?

We already knew he was infected and could reattach limbs because of it in 7, and if Ethan is 'Mold' what does that make Mia and Zoe Baker? They where infected a lot longer than him.

And I have to mention Ethan had some really bad voice acting, he is up the with Henry Townshend as the the most apathetic reaction to horrific events and sights in a horror game.

As I was playing the game I was waiting to find anything, documents or otherwise, that linked the game to the overall series but it felt like one big 'when are they going to get to the fireworks factory' - if people get what that means.

The fact the game chose to exposition dump its major connections to 7 at the very end reeks of bad writing.

Also the BSAA is bad now? When did that happen?

Some of the Lord could of used the better development, House Beneviento was a major highlight but you end up learning so little about Donna outside the Gardener's Diary.

Heisenberg had the interesting angle of possibly being an ally but this only after he tried to kill you several times - which weakens the idea, why would Ethan trust him after all that?

His factory should of focused way more on 'body horror' rather than and excessive action: The factory should of went a bit like this:

- Enter the factory, meet Heisenberg, escape Sturm without really seeing what it is.

- Creep through the early factory finding remnants of test subjects, notes/audio logs detailing 'gruesome experiments'.

-Encounter the first Soldat in chair, fight it, "phew! I'm glad i won't have to see that again'...

-Then the big visual reveal of the factory mass producing Soldats, giving you the fear and dread of having to face more of the abominations.  

Village is a good game but I do almost question if needed to be a Resident Evil game - take Chris out and some minor details and it could be its own horror game.

The ending certainly sets up some interesting things for 9, but they are going to really have to pull it out of the bag to make this new Resi trilogy pay off.

The series also needs to stop regressing back to Resi 4.

Hopefully we get some kind of story DLC, maybe detailing what Chris was up too?

Or at least something that address some of the bigger series connections that man game lacked.

I've had this bottled up since my first run and just had to get it of my chest.

On 5/11/2021 at 3:20 PM, ViperLance34 said:

So I guess Heisenberg isn't an old Daniel Fabron, huh? Shame... would have been a cool connection.

I know people like to hate on Resi Resistance , but  I really enjoyed it, putting hours into it before the last update.

This was in part due to Daniel Fabron and his charisma and dialogue - him and Alex Wesker are two of my favorite characters to introduced into modern Resi.

They have to use him in the future it would be shame to waste a character that has become a bit of a fan favorite.

Maybe in the rumored Resi Revelations 3 that might come out this year?

Edited by objectioner
Grammar
  • Like 2

After all, any bothers me about Rose. How did Ethan and Mia get baby Rosa when Ethan is already dead. Did Mia gets pregnant by a 'Molded' Ethan??? Maybe that's why the suit dude calls Rose Eveline on epilogue, because Rose is 'half-molded' ???

And... Ethan was already dead after beginning in RE7, why can't Eveline control him? 

• Like 1

8.5 user score on metacritic, what the fuck! ? what are these users smoking? RE8 isnt a great game. Its decent, actually ill go as far as to say its mediocre because the more i play it (completed it 2 times now) and the more gameplay i see of it (lets plays) the more i realise how bad the game is. Its just not that good.

i also believe the game went through development hell but no one seems to mention that. Miranda is such a poor antagonist and a horrible final boss. Heisenberg is semi interesting but like everyone else says, falls short on character development. (Which they all do btw) Donna’s part is probably the best part of the entire game. Moreau is okay but nothing special and lady dimitrescu is gone from the entire game long before youre even halfway through the story. 

gameplay loop is fun... to an extent but it was way more satisfying blowing off limbs on the molded in re7 than it is trying to get shots on twitchy lycans.

there is legit something wrong with the reviews. I know everyone has an opinion, its cool. But something is off. Ill almost bet my money that its because its heavily re4 inspired and everyone is craving for the re4 remake so now everyone is pretending re8 is like goty or something. Or i could just be in the minority. But seriously, re8 is a bad resident evil game and a mediocre horror first person shooter with a nonsensical story. Thats about it.

Edited by UlvenFenrir
  • Like 3

On 5/16/2021 at 3:23 PM, UlvenFenrir said:

i also believe the game went through development hell but no one seems to mention that.

There was a rumor going around that Village was meant to be 'Revelations 3', and that it had several story changes.

Also there is the rumor 'Revelations 3' is coming out later this year as 'RE Outrage'.

Again these are both rumors, so take it all with a huge sack of salt.

I find Village to be a good game but not a very good Resi game.

I'm still very conflicted on it. It seem like the tried to appeal both to horror Resi fans and the action Resi fans - which amounts to it being very 'eh' tonally.

It did feel in places like a 'Resi 4 greatest hits', I never really liked Resi 4 and I wish the series would stop regressing back to it.

It was always meant to be a main title entry into the franchise, so no spin off stuff like Revelations or anything else would have been involved, I'm still convinced another Revelations is in development either way though. There is an interview between IGN and the game producer which is pretty interesting. I can't find the direct link to the interview anymore because they broke the link to it on their site. The article that references it is still up though.

According to Morimasa Sato (game director) -

“We had no idea how the change of perspective would be received, so at first we were quite worried. But when we released Resident Evil 7 about half a year after the development of Village started, it was received very well. This helped us decide to make Village a direct sequel,”

I guess there could be something lost in translation there, but it looks like they didn't decide that the game would be a direct sequel until 6 months in. The game world had already been planned, so it was a question of them making it fit as a direct RE7 sequel from a story perspective.

It would definitely explain some of the more rushed plot points which felt like the writers had been told 'hey we have this game environment already planned, so you need to figure out a way to get Ethan, Rose, Mia & Chris there from a story point of view and go from there'.

For them to make a sequel to RE8 and for it to work as a trilogy (of sorts) effectively, I honestly think they have to make some story DLC first to fill in some of the plot games and reinforce the events of the main game.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop

On 5/8/2021 at 7:02 PM, Quink666 said:

Wonder who will be the main protagonist in RE9 though. It will probably be first person as well since they seem to change every 3rd game. First 3 was static camera 4-6 was 3rd person and 7-8 was first person. 

Feel it's almost certainly going to be Rosemary. Felt that's what the post credits was for.

• Like 1