TalalHmd

Is the difficulty really a 9 out 10?

10 posts in this topic

I'm in the mood to play Silent Hill 2, but I'm wondering if it's a good and fun challenge, or will it just be frustrating and ruin the game. I played the game a couple of times but I never played the hard mode, nor I ever cared about the rating/ending

I love this game (on ps2), so it would be nice to get the platinum 

The Ten Star run can be annoying, it's pretty much the sole reason the game is a 9 but it's at least an 8 objectively.

The reason for this is that a ten star run involves putting together a number of annoying tasks- with no means of keeping track of them in game outside of the other trophies they unlock. In most cases you'll unlock these other trophies along the way, so you'll need to keep track of things like enemies killed/shot dead, stuff like that, on your ten star run. 
You also need to get good at an annoying and finicky boat minigame near the end of the game.

In my opinion, it's a 6 or 7 at most. The bright side about the 10-stars run is that you can skip the last two boss fights  and that you can save the game twice (unlike other games that need you to beat the whole game in one sitting, e.g. Max Payne 3). 

Just keep track of your melee and ranged kills and practice your route on previous runs and you'll be fine.

This was probably a 9 when the best strategies had yet to be discovered.

If you mimic a vid rather than try with your own strategies (I think I used the ones provided by the trophy guide) the run isn't so bad, I only failed a few times after my last save where you face 2 bosses before the boat minigame. I also messed a lot with the nurses and yet I got a 10 stars result with a good margin of damage taken allowed.

A great game I quite enjoyed.

Been really curious, I've seen YouTubers get a 10-star rating with the chainsaw (mainly on the PS2 version). Those that have achieved 10-star/platinum - would you guys say it's worth using the chainsaw for the run? 

An example I've found:

On 9/8/2021 at 8:26 PM, Spiroff23 said:

Been really curious, I've seen YouTubers get a 10-star rating with the chainsaw (mainly on the PS2 version). Those that have achieved 10-star/platinum - would you guys say it's worth using the chainsaw for the run? 

An example I've found:

I’m interested in finding this out. If anyone had the knowledge to enlighten us 😅

for anyone who has the experience, what's some advice for people planning on going for the plat? The video guides out there seem great but I want to make sure there aren't good hints to miss out on (just cleared the game for the first time, considering the plat). Adding on to this, when you finish an ending, do you start the next playthrough by LOADING that cleared data, or by hitting New Game?

Edited by nrs1nrs1

There are awesome maps in Gamefaqs. If you want to do the 10 stars run, print them and customize them accroding to your understanding of this game.

As a PS2 game, the controls are really frustrating during the boss battles and the boat section.

Just like Outlast series, do it over and over again is the real pain-in-the-ass. It could destroy your patience.

For the trophy guide i used the one on PST.

On 02/09/2021 at 2:51 AM, nrs1nrs1 said:

for anyone who has the experience, what's some advice for people planning on going for the plat? The video guides out there seem great but I want to make sure there aren't good hints to miss out on (just cleared the game for the first time, considering the plat). Adding on to this, when you finish an ending, do you start the next playthrough by LOADING that cleared data, or by hitting New Game?

Always load your cleared data, your results will appear, then start a new game.

Just some personal tips when I plat the game a few months ago:

- Hold L1/R1 Start and Select to return to the main menu.

- The Abstract Daddy fight is a pain, when moving to a corner when not shooting, wait at least a second to let him catch up, then move to the next corner and shoot like the video guide provides.

- Both Keep Your Distance and Melee Master seemed buggy to me, sometimes the other kill will register.

- Don't stress too much about the 500 damage limit. I assumed I was in the 400 range at the end, especially after the Eddie fight going from green to full red: Still finished with 217 points.

31 minutes ago, Kamurotetsu said:

Always load your cleared data, your results will appear, then start a new game.

Just some personal tips when I plat the game a few months ago:

- Hold L1/R1 Start and Select to return to the main menu.

- The Abstract Daddy fight is a pain, when moving to a corner when not shooting, wait at least a second to let him catch up, then move to the next corner and shoot like the video guide provides.

- Both Keep Your Distance and Melee Master seemed buggy to me, sometimes the other kill will register.

- Don't stress too much about the 500 damage limit. I assumed I was in the 400 range at the end, especially after the Eddie fight going from green to full red: Still finished with 217 points.

this is really helpful advice, thank you very much! I enjoyed my first playthrough and just want to be certain I'm well-equipped for the next runs and the big one :)